|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the Jewish woman who helps Berel Jastrow when he is captured by the partisans?
(a) Griselda Bettleman.
(b) Bronka Ginsberg.
(c) Helga Tuttlebaum.
(d) Tonta Harberg.
2. What do the SS officers threaten to do at Theresienstadt to keep Natalie in line?
(a) Kill Louis.
(b) Rape her.
(c) Kill Aaron.
(d) Starve her.
3. As Aaron gets off the train at Auschwitz, he and the others are told to go where?
(b) Disinfecting showers.
(d) Meeting hall.
4. How many Jews are transported from Theresienstadt in an effort to alleviate the overcrowding before the Red Cross visit?
5. When does the Red Cross visit Theresienstadt?
(a) June 18, 1944.
(b) June 22, 1944.
(c) July 24, 1944.
(d) July 23, 1944.
6. Where is the clipper Pug is traveling on to Russia diverted to?
7. Where does President Roosevelt send Pug in Chapter 50?
8. Who writes to tell Byron the truth about Pug and Rhoda's divorce?
9. What illness is Aaron diagnosed as having while in German custody in France?
10. What does a farmer toss into the train car that Natalie is riding to Auschwitz?
11. Where do Natalie and Aaron try to flee to when Beck shows up in Paris?
12. While Byron is in San Francisco for repairs to his submarine, he tests a new gadget for detecting what?
(c) Mine fields.
13. What is the name of the Assistant Secretary of State Slote meets with about helping Jews come to America?
(a) Breckingridge Long.
(b) Sime Anderson.
(c) Julius Wurtweiler.
(d) Harrison Peters.
14. Where is Madam Rosen told the German military needs to move the current orphanage building to?
(a) A ski resort.
(b) A school.
(c) A hospital.
(d) A hotel.
15. Whom is Janice sleeping with after Warren's death?
(a) Phillip Rule.
(b) Sime Anderson.
(c) Hugh Cleveland.
(d) Carter Aster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the SS officer who is in charge of uncovering the mass graves and burning the bodies?
2. What is the name of the new director at Theresienstadt after Aaron becomes a Jewish official?
3. After Moscow, Pug is sent to _______.
4. What is the name of Captain Aster's executive officer on the submarine?
5. What is the Russian Army known as?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)