|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mr. Cadaver die?
2. Why Mr. Birkway come to Phoebe's house?
3. What does Sal imagine Margaret doing?
4. What does Sergeant Bickle tell Sal about Mike?
5. Why does Phoebe suddenly back out of finding Mike?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think Sal knows to ask for Ben's mother at the hospital?
2. When Sal asks whether Margaret plans to marry her father, how does Margaret respond?
3. Why is Sal so affected by the thought of Mr. Winterbottom crying?
4. Where does Sal tell the sheriff in Longwood that her mother really is? Why?
5. After Phoebe and Sal discover who has been leaving the notes on Phoebe's porch, why do you think they find courage in spitting?
6. What does Sal realize was the reason behind her car trip to Idaho with her grandparents?
7. Why is Sal disappointed when she finds out that Mr. Birkway is Margaret's twin brother?
8. How did Margaret and Sal's father meet?
9. Why do you think Gram is so emotional about seeing Old Faithful?
10. Who does Sal meet at the overlook on the way to Lewiston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think of Mr. Birkway's teaching style? What is his main goal in teaching? How could he improve?
Essay Topic 2
A foil in literature refers to a character that highlights the traits of another character in order to make those traits more prominent. Explain how Phoebe is a foil for Sal.
Essay Topic 3
How has Sal learned to deal with death and loss throughout the narrative? What attitude does she have toward death and loss at the end of the story?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)