|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day of her trip with her grandparents do they arrive at Yellowstone?
2. When Mrs. Winterbottom calls to say that she is coming home, how does Phoebe say that she sounded?
3. Sal asks Margaret what her plans are as far as what?
4. What is Mrs. Finney wearing when Sal finds her?
5. What happens between Sal and Ben at the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sal realize was the reason behind her car trip to Idaho with her grandparents?
2. How does Sal feel whenever she is with Ben and why?
3. What did Ben write in his journal, and why does it upset Sal?
4. Why does Ben's mother remind Sal of her own mother?
5. Why is Sal disappointed when she finds out that Mr. Birkway is Margaret's twin brother?
6. After Phoebe and Sal discover who has been leaving the notes on Phoebe's porch, why do you think they find courage in spitting?
7. Why do you think Gramps watches Gram so closely when they are at Old Faithful?
8. Why is Sal so affected by the thought of Mr. Winterbottom crying?
9. Why do you think Gram is so emotional about seeing Old Faithful?
10. Why do you think that Phoebe was so disgusted when she saw her mother with Mike at the university?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the point of view affect the story? How would the story be different if it was told from another point of view?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Sal's grandparents on each side of her family: their personalities, relationships, and roles in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze in detail how Sal and Phoebe both allowed guilt to determine their actions.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)