|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Christy's journal offend Mary Lou?
2. How does Mary Lou's journal offend Beth Ann?
3. What did Sal hope would happen in Lewiston?
4. How long does it take Sal to drive to Lewiston?
5. What does Mr. Birkway do the day after he reads the journals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Sal meet at the overlook on the way to Lewiston?
2. Why is Sal so affected by the thought of Mr. Winterbottom crying?
3. What does Sal realize when Phoebe shows her things that remind Phoebe of her mother?
4. How do each of Mrs. Winterbottom's family members react to the news that Mike Bickle is her son?
5. What does Sal realize when she worries about whether her actions could have gotten Gram bitten or made her mother miscarry?
6. What do Sal and Phoebe discover when they go the university?
7. Where does Sal tell the sheriff in Longwood that her mother really is? Why?
8. How does Mr. Birkway attempt to hide the identity of the journal's owners, and why does this fail?
9. Why does Ben's mother remind Sal of her own mother?
10. When does Sal know for sure that her mother is not coming back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Sal's grandparents on each side of her family: their personalities, relationships, and roles in the story.
Essay Topic 2
How does the story of Pandora relate to Sal and Phoebe? How do they seek and gain hope throughout the story?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think of Mr. Birkway's teaching style? What is his main goal in teaching? How could he improve?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)