|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gram feel about seeing Old Faithful?
2. What happens between Sal and Ben at the hospital?
3. How does Sal say that Gram looks on the way through Idaho?
4. How long does it take Sal to drive to Lewiston?
5. What does Ben give Sal as a gift in Chapter 40?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sal's view of Mrs. Cadaver change after Mr. Birkway visits Phoebe?
2. What did Ben write in his journal, and why does it upset Sal?
3. What does Sal discover on her second visit to the police station?
4. Why does Phoebe feel embarrassed when Mr. Birkway comes to her house?
5. What does Sal realize when she worries about whether her actions could have gotten Gram bitten or made her mother miscarry?
6. When does Sal know for sure that her mother is not coming back?
7. What three things did Sal discover she was jealous about?
8. After Phoebe and Sal discover who has been leaving the notes on Phoebe's porch, why do you think they find courage in spitting?
9. Why do you think that Phoebe was so disgusted when she saw her mother with Mike at the university?
10. When Sal asks whether Margaret plans to marry her father, how does Margaret respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why you think Native American heritage was so important to Sal and her mother.
Essay Topic 2
How and why does the relationship between Sal and Ben evolve throughout the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the factors that motivated Sal's mother to leave her family. Use specific quotes from the novel.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)