|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What embarrassing thing does Mr. Birkway reveal in Sal's journal?
2. The first time that Sal's father went to see Margaret, how long did they talk?
3. Who sits next to Phoebe when Mr. Birkway comes to visit?
4. Sal thinks that she and her grandparents can get to Idaho on her mother's birthday, if she continuously does what?
5. How does Sal find out that Mike is Sergeant Bickle's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sal realize was the reason behind her car trip to Idaho with her grandparents?
2. Why does Sal's view of Mrs. Cadaver change after Mr. Birkway visits Phoebe?
3. Why does Ben's mother remind Sal of her own mother?
4. What did Ben write in his journal, and why does it upset Sal?
5. The day after Mr. Birkway visits Phoebe, what plan do Sal and Phoebe devise?
6. Where does Sal tell the sheriff in Longwood that her mother really is? Why?
7. Why do you think Gram is so emotional about seeing Old Faithful?
8. How does Sal feel whenever she is with Ben and why?
9. Who has been leaving the notes on Phoebe's porch and why?
10. Why is Sal disappointed when she finds out that Mr. Birkway is Margaret's twin brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think of Mr. Birkway's teaching style? What is his main goal in teaching? How could he improve?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the settings in which the novel primarily takes place. How do each of these settings affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze in detail how Sal and Phoebe both allowed guilt to determine their actions.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)