|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift did Gram receive from the egg man?
2. What does Phoebe's father do that is unusual the first time he meets Mike?
3. How does Sal find out that Mike is Sergeant Bickle's son?
4. How long have Gram and Gramps been married?
5. What does Phoebe call Mrs. Cadaver in her journal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sal realize when she worries about whether her actions could have gotten Gram bitten or made her mother miscarry?
2. What did Ben write in his journal, and why does it upset Sal?
3. The day after Mr. Birkway visits Phoebe, what plan do Sal and Phoebe devise?
4. After Phoebe and Sal discover who has been leaving the notes on Phoebe's porch, why do you think they find courage in spitting?
5. What does Mr. Winterbottom say upset him most about his wife's secret? What does this show about their relationship?
6. Why do you think Gramps watches Gram so closely when they are at Old Faithful?
7. Why does Sal's view of Mrs. Cadaver change after Mr. Birkway visits Phoebe?
8. How have the journal readings affected everyone in English class?
9. Why is Sal so affected by the thought of Mr. Winterbottom crying?
10. Why is Sal disappointed when she finds out that Mr. Birkway is Margaret's twin brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the factors that motivated Sal's mother to leave her family. Use specific quotes from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What do you think of Mr. Birkway's teaching style? What is his main goal in teaching? How could he improve?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze in detail how Sal and Phoebe both allowed guilt to determine their actions.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)