|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sal's mother buried?
2. How does Mr. Birkway look when he visits Phoebe's house?
3. What does the sheriff in Idaho make Sal promise?
4. What art does Margaret have on her walls?
5. What does Sal tell Sergeant Bickle is her name?
Short Essay Questions
1. The day after Mr. Birkway visits Phoebe, what plan do Sal and Phoebe devise?
2. Why does Ben's mother remind Sal of her own mother?
3. How does Mr. Birkway attempt to hide the identity of the journal's owners, and why does this fail?
4. Why do you think Gram is so emotional about seeing Old Faithful?
5. What does Mr. Winterbottom say upset him most about his wife's secret? What does this show about their relationship?
6. How did Margaret and Sal's father meet?
7. When Sal asks whether Margaret plans to marry her father, how does Margaret respond?
8. Who does Sal meet at the overlook on the way to Lewiston?
9. How do each of Mrs. Winterbottom's family members react to the news that Mike Bickle is her son?
10. When does Sal know for sure that her mother is not coming back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the settings in which the novel primarily takes place. How do each of these settings affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
How has Sal learned to deal with death and loss throughout the narrative? What attitude does she have toward death and loss at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Sal angry at her mother for leaving? What does being angry accomplish for Sal?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)