|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Sal to drive to Lewiston?
2. Why does Sal feel queasy when she and her grandparents drive through Montana?
3. What gift did Gramps give to Gram the night that she died?
4. Who has been leaving the notes on Phoebe's porch?
5. How do Sal and Phoebe get to the university?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sal's view of Mrs. Cadaver change after Mr. Birkway visits Phoebe?
2. Why is Sal disappointed when she finds out that Mr. Birkway is Margaret's twin brother?
3. Why does Ben's mother remind Sal of her own mother?
4. The day after Mr. Birkway visits Phoebe, what plan do Sal and Phoebe devise?
5. When does Sal know for sure that her mother is not coming back?
6. What does Mr. Winterbottom say upset him most about his wife's secret? What does this show about their relationship?
7. What does Sal realize when she worries about whether her actions could have gotten Gram bitten or made her mother miscarry?
8. What does Sal realize was the reason behind her car trip to Idaho with her grandparents?
9. Why do you think Gramps watches Gram so closely when they are at Old Faithful?
10. Who does Sal meet at the overlook on the way to Lewiston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the notes that were left on Phoebe's porch. What does each of them mean, and how does each relate to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the settings in which the novel primarily takes place. How do each of these settings affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Sal angry at her mother for leaving? What does being angry accomplish for Sal?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)