|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is engraved on Sugar Hiddle's grave?
2. Who is Mrs. Cadaver's brother?
3. Why does Sal feel queasy when she and her grandparents drive through Montana?
4. What did Sal hope would happen in Lewiston?
5. Who do Phoebe and Sal run into when they break into Margaret's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Phoebe feel embarrassed when Mr. Birkway comes to her house?
2. After Phoebe and Sal discover who has been leaving the notes on Phoebe's porch, why do you think they find courage in spitting?
3. What does Mr. Winterbottom say upset him most about his wife's secret? What does this show about their relationship?
4. The day after Mr. Birkway visits Phoebe, what plan do Sal and Phoebe devise?
5. Why do you think Gramps watches Gram so closely when they are at Old Faithful?
6. When Phoebe sees her mother and Mike together, how is Mrs. Winterbottom different?
7. What does Sal realize was the reason behind her car trip to Idaho with her grandparents?
8. Why do you think that Phoebe was so disgusted when she saw her mother with Mike at the university?
9. How did Margaret and Sal's father meet?
10. What did Ben write in his journal, and why does it upset Sal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think of Mr. Birkway's teaching style? What is his main goal in teaching? How could he improve?
Essay Topic 2
What does the title of the story mean? Why do you think the author chose this title for the story? Use specific examples from the novel to support your points.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is Phoebe's mother similar to Sal's mother? In what ways are they different?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)