|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Sal to drive to Lewiston?
2. What was the name of the dog that Sal had as a child?
3. How does Mary Lou's journal offend Beth Ann?
4. Besides Ben and Phoebe, who does Sal write to?
5. When does Ben send Sal a valentine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sal discover on her second visit to the police station?
2. Why is Sal disappointed when she finds out that Mr. Birkway is Margaret's twin brother?
3. When does Sal know for sure that her mother is not coming back?
4. What did Ben write in his journal, and why does it upset Sal?
5. Why does Sal's view of Mrs. Cadaver change after Mr. Birkway visits Phoebe?
6. Why do you think Gram is so emotional about seeing Old Faithful?
7. Why does Phoebe feel embarrassed when Mr. Birkway comes to her house?
8. Why is Sal so affected by the thought of Mr. Winterbottom crying?
9. How did Margaret and Sal's father meet?
10. What does Mr. Winterbottom say upset him most about his wife's secret? What does this show about their relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the notes that were left on Phoebe's porch. What does each of them mean, and how does each relate to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Mrs. Winterbottom give up her son? In what ways has that experience influenced her behavior as a wife and mother?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the factors that motivated Sal's mother to leave her family. Use specific quotes from the novel.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)