|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in the university do Sal and Phoebe try to find Mike?
2. What does Phoebe call Sergeant Bickle when he does not seem to take her seriously?
3. What does Mrs. Winterbottom do in the middle of her conversation with Mike that disgusts Phoebe?
4. How does Gram feel about seeing Old Faithful?
5. How many people survived the bus crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sal discover on her second visit to the police station?
2. Why is Sal so affected by the thought of Mr. Winterbottom crying?
3. The day after Mr. Birkway visits Phoebe, what plan do Sal and Phoebe devise?
4. When Phoebe sees her mother and Mike together, how is Mrs. Winterbottom different?
5. Why do you think Gramps watches Gram so closely when they are at Old Faithful?
6. How do each of Mrs. Winterbottom's family members react to the news that Mike Bickle is her son?
7. What do Sal and Phoebe discover when they go the university?
8. How did Margaret and Sal's father meet?
9. What does Mr. Winterbottom say upset him most about his wife's secret? What does this show about their relationship?
10. Why is Sal disappointed when she finds out that Mr. Birkway is Margaret's twin brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Sal's grandparents on each side of her family: their personalities, relationships, and roles in the story.
Essay Topic 2
How has Sal learned to deal with death and loss throughout the narrative? What attitude does she have toward death and loss at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the settings in which the novel primarily takes place. How do each of these settings affect the story?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)