|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sergeant Bickle tell Sal about Mike?
2. Why does Phoebe suddenly back out of finding Mike?
3. The first time that Sal's father went to see Margaret, how long did they talk?
4. Who is Mrs. Cadaver's brother?
5. How does Sal find out that Mike is Sergeant Bickle's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ben's mother remind Sal of her own mother?
2. How does Sal feel whenever she is with Ben and why?
3. When does Sal know for sure that her mother is not coming back?
4. Who has been leaving the notes on Phoebe's porch and why?
5. How do each of Mrs. Winterbottom's family members react to the news that Mike Bickle is her son?
6. Who does Sal meet at the overlook on the way to Lewiston?
7. Why is Sal disappointed when she finds out that Mr. Birkway is Margaret's twin brother?
8. When Sal asks whether Margaret plans to marry her father, how does Margaret respond?
9. What does Mr. Winterbottom say upset him most about his wife's secret? What does this show about their relationship?
10. How does Mr. Birkway attempt to hide the identity of the journal's owners, and why does this fail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the point of view affect the story? How would the story be different if it was told from another point of view?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the factors that motivated Sal's mother to leave her family. Use specific quotes from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the settings in which the novel primarily takes place. How do each of these settings affect the story?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)