|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sal is at the lookout, where is the bus?
2. When Sal lies awake the whole night, who is she thinking about?
3. What book do Sal and Phoebe see someone reading at Margaret's house?
4. What is draped on Margaret's sofa?
5. Who has been leaving the notes on Phoebe's porch?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Phoebe and Sal discover who has been leaving the notes on Phoebe's porch, why do you think they find courage in spitting?
2. Why do you think Gramps watches Gram so closely when they are at Old Faithful?
3. Why does Phoebe feel embarrassed when Mr. Birkway comes to her house?
4. Who has been leaving the notes on Phoebe's porch and why?
5. How does Mr. Birkway attempt to hide the identity of the journal's owners, and why does this fail?
6. How does Sal feel whenever she is with Ben and why?
7. When does Sal know for sure that her mother is not coming back?
8. When Sal asks whether Margaret plans to marry her father, how does Margaret respond?
9. What did Ben write in his journal, and why does it upset Sal?
10. Why is Sal so affected by the thought of Mr. Winterbottom crying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has Sal learned to deal with death and loss throughout the narrative? What attitude does she have toward death and loss at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Sal's grandparents on each side of her family: their personalities, relationships, and roles in the story.
Essay Topic 3
How and why does the relationship between Sal and Ben evolve throughout the story?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)