|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beth Ann say about Mary Lou in her journal?
2. Who does Phoebe see Mike kissing at the university?
3. Who came to visit Gramps the day after Gram was buried?
4. Where in the university do Sal and Phoebe try to find Mike?
5. What is Mrs. Finney wearing when Sal finds her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Phoebe feel embarrassed when Mr. Birkway comes to her house?
2. Why do you think Gramps watches Gram so closely when they are at Old Faithful?
3. When does Sal know for sure that her mother is not coming back?
4. When Phoebe sees her mother and Mike together, how is Mrs. Winterbottom different?
5. What does Sal realize when she worries about whether her actions could have gotten Gram bitten or made her mother miscarry?
6. What does Sal realize was the reason behind her car trip to Idaho with her grandparents?
7. Where does Sal tell the sheriff in Longwood that her mother really is? Why?
8. Why is Sal so affected by the thought of Mr. Winterbottom crying?
9. Why is Sal disappointed when she finds out that Mr. Birkway is Margaret's twin brother?
10. The day after Mr. Birkway visits Phoebe, what plan do Sal and Phoebe devise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A foil in literature refers to a character that highlights the traits of another character in order to make those traits more prominent. Explain how Phoebe is a foil for Sal.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Sal want to hate Margaret? Explain how and why her feelings about Margaret change.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the notes that were left on Phoebe's porch. What does each of them mean, and how does each relate to the story?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)