|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sergeant Bickle do when Phoebe presents evidence that her mother was kidnapped?
2. What friend of Gram's didn't want her to marry Gramps?
3. What is the maiden name of Sal's mother?
4. How long was Gramps' father gone when his friend questioned his whereabouts?
5. What name did Sal suggest for her sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the second day of the weekend sleepover, what does Ben perceive about Phoebe?
2. Why was the fact that Sugar cut her long hair important?
3. Why did both Sal and Phoebe lie about where their mothers were when they first left?
4. How does Phoebe react to the Finney house, and why does she react that way?
5. How does Phoebe act at dinner with the Finneys? Why do you think she acted this way?
6. How does Megan catch Phoebe in her lie about where her mother is?
7. How does Sergeant Bickle react to Phoebe's evidence? Why do you think he reacts that way?
8. Why does Sal flinch every time someone touches her?
9. How does Sal's father respond to the news that Mrs. Winterbottom has left, and why is this important?
10. What is the significance of Gram and Gramps' marriage bed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the story of Pandora relate to Sal and Phoebe? How do they seek and gain hope throughout the story?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Mrs. Winterbottom give up her son? In what ways has that experience influenced her behavior as a wife and mother?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the settings in which the novel primarily takes place. How do each of these settings affect the story?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)