|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sal's mother want to do the day before she left?
2. What's written on the letter that Phoebe's mother Mrs. Winterbottom left for Mr. Winterbottom.
3. What does Mrs. Winterbottom do after the Phoebe and Sal return home from school?
4. What does Sal notice about her father in the garage when she returns home?
5. What is Mary Lou's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sal's father allow Sal to go on the car trip with her grandparents?
2. At the beginning of the story, where is Sal's mother and why?
3. Why do you think that the whispers changed again to "rush, hurry, rush"?
4. Why did both Sal and Phoebe lie about where their mothers were when they first left?
5. How does Megan catch Phoebe in her lie about where her mother is?
6. What is the significance of Gram and Gramps' marriage bed?
7. What does Sal realize after she says that she wanted to tell Phoebe that Mrs. Winterbottom's leaving was not Phoebe's fault?
8. What evidence does Phoebe present to Sergeant Bickle as proof that her mother was kidnapped?
9. On the second day of the weekend sleepover, what does Ben perceive about Phoebe?
10. Why does Phoebe think that Margaret is a murderer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the factors that motivated Sal's mother to leave her family. Use specific quotes from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Sal's grandparents on each side of her family: their personalities, relationships, and roles in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Mrs. Winterbottom give up her son? In what ways has that experience influenced her behavior as a wife and mother?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)