|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Sal unhappy about sightseeing in Madison?
2. What type of tree is the "singing tree"?
3. What does Phoebe imagine that Mrs. Cadaver and Mr. Birkway may be doing?
4. What did Sal's mother leave for her when she left?
5. At what body of water do Sal and her grandparents stop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sal react to Margaret when they first meet, and why?
2. Describe the atmosphere in Madison, Wisconsin.
3. Why were Grandparents Hiddle arrested, and what does this show about them?
4. How does Phoebe act at dinner with the Finneys? Why do you think she acted this way?
5. At the beginning of the story, where is Sal's mother and why?
6. Why does Sal's father allow Sal to go on the car trip with her grandparents?
7. What does Sal realize after she says that she wanted to tell Phoebe that Mrs. Winterbottom's leaving was not Phoebe's fault?
8. Why does Sal feel guilty about her mother's miscarriage?
9. Why does the blackberry pie trigger a negative memory for Sal?
10. How does Sergeant Bickle react to Phoebe's evidence? Why do you think he reacts that way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think of Mr. Birkway's teaching style? What is his main goal in teaching? How could he improve?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Sal angry at her mother for leaving? What does being angry accomplish for Sal?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is Phoebe's mother similar to Sal's mother? In what ways are they different?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)