|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What flavor does Sal detect in the kiss of all trees?
2. What happened to Sal three weeks before her baby sibling was due?
3. How does Mr. Winterbottom look when he is called to the police station to get Phoebe and Sal?
4. Sal finds Mr. Birkway to be strange and _______.
5. For whom is the young man on Phoebe's porch looking?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Phoebe react to the Finney house, and why does she react that way?
2. Why was the fact that Sugar cut her long hair important?
3. What evidence does Phoebe present to Sergeant Bickle as proof that her mother was kidnapped?
4. Why did Sal's mother say that she felt rotten in comparison to Sal's father?
5. Why does Phoebe think that Margaret is a murderer?
6. How does Phoebe act at dinner with the Finneys? Why do you think she acted this way?
7. On the second day of the weekend sleepover, what does Ben perceive about Phoebe?
8. How did Sal feel when her mother left, and why?
9. Why were Grandparents Hiddle arrested, and what does this show about them?
10. Who rings Phoebe's doorbell, and what does he want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the settings in which the novel primarily takes place. How do each of these settings affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Mrs. Winterbottom give up her son? In what ways has that experience influenced her behavior as a wife and mother?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Sal angry at her mother for leaving? What does being angry accomplish for Sal?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)