|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of tree is the "singing tree"?
2. How is Phoebe's journal decorated?
3. How does Sal react to the poem that Mr. Birkway reads in class?
4. How does Sal's father describe Sal?
5. What does Phoebe lecture the Finneys about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the blackberry pie trigger a negative memory for Sal?
2. How did Sal feel when her mother left, and why?
3. Why was the fact that Sugar cut her long hair important?
4. What is the significance of Gram and Gramps' marriage bed?
5. How does Phoebe act at dinner with the Finneys? Why do you think she acted this way?
6. Why does Phoebe think that Margaret is a murderer?
7. What do you think Mrs. Winterbottom means when she asks whether her daughters think she leads a tiny life?
8. Why does Sal's father allow Sal to go on the car trip with her grandparents?
9. Why does Sal flinch every time someone touches her?
10. How does Megan catch Phoebe in her lie about where her mother is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the factors that motivated Sal's mother to leave her family. Use specific quotes from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What does the title of the story mean? Why do you think the author chose this title for the story? Use specific examples from the novel to support your points.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the notes that were left on Phoebe's porch. What does each of them mean, and how does each relate to the story?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)