|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long before the story begins did Sal and her father move?
2. What's written on the letter that Phoebe's mother Mrs. Winterbottom left for Mr. Winterbottom.
3. The first day of school after her mother left, Phoebe's expression was?
4. How many other sons did Sal's grandparents have?
5. When Phoebe is driving Sal crazy, what does Ben think is her main problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sal try to warn her father about Margaret?
2. Why does Sal's father allow Sal to go on the car trip with her grandparents?
3. What evidence does Phoebe present to Sergeant Bickle as proof that her mother was kidnapped?
4. Why does the blackberry pie trigger a negative memory for Sal?
5. What is the significance of Gram and Gramps' marriage bed?
6. Why was the fact that Sugar cut her long hair important?
7. How is Phoebe's journal decorated, and why is this important?
8. Why do you think that the whispers changed again to "rush, hurry, rush"?
9. On the second day of the weekend sleepover, what does Ben perceive about Phoebe?
10. Why does Phoebe think that Margaret is a murderer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the point of view affect the story? How would the story be different if it was told from another point of view?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the notes that were left on Phoebe's porch. What does each of them mean, and how does each relate to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think of Mr. Birkway's teaching style? What is his main goal in teaching? How could he improve?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)