|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what state are Sal and her grandparents traveling?
2. According to Ben's report, what was the only thing left in Pandora's box?
3. What object do the girls see Ben lift from the sidewalk?
4. On Saturday, the girls notice Mrs. Cadaver doing what?
5. When having dinner at Phoebe's, what food reminds Sal of her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sal try to warn her father about Margaret?
2. Why is it significant that Ben and Sal draw the same thing in class?
3. How does Sal's father respond to the news that Mrs. Winterbottom has left, and why is this important?
4. Why did Sal's mother say that she felt rotten in comparison to Sal's father?
5. Why was the fact that Sugar cut her long hair important?
6. How does Phoebe react to the Finney house, and why does she react that way?
7. What does Sal realize after she says that she wanted to tell Phoebe that Mrs. Winterbottom's leaving was not Phoebe's fault?
8. Why did both Sal and Phoebe lie about where their mothers were when they first left?
9. What do you think Mrs. Winterbottom means when she asks whether her daughters think she leads a tiny life?
10. How does Sal notices that Phoebe and Prudence have "their own agendas" after their mother burns the brownies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze in detail how Sal and Phoebe both allowed guilt to determine their actions.
Essay Topic 2
What does the title of the story mean? Why do you think the author chose this title for the story? Use specific examples from the novel to support your points.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Sal's grandparents on each side of her family: their personalities, relationships, and roles in the story.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)