|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Gram at the Missouri River in South Dakota?
2. At what site do Sal and her Gram stop after they leave Madison?
3. When Phoebe goes downstairs to say goodnight to her father, what does she notice he had been doing?
4. How does Sal's father describe Sal?
5. In what city were Sal's grandparents arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sergeant Bickle react to Phoebe's evidence? Why do you think he reacts that way?
2. What is the significance of Gram and Gramps' marriage bed?
3. Why does the blackberry pie trigger a negative memory for Sal?
4. Why did Sal's mother say that she felt rotten in comparison to Sal's father?
5. How does Sal try to warn her father about Margaret?
6. How does Phoebe act at dinner with the Finneys? Why do you think she acted this way?
7. Why does Sal's father allow Sal to go on the car trip with her grandparents?
8. How does Sal's father respond to the news that Mrs. Winterbottom has left, and why is this important?
9. How is Phoebe's journal decorated, and why is this important?
10. Why do you think that the whispers changed from saying "rush, rush," to "slow down, slow down"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How and why does the relationship between Sal and Ben evolve throughout the story?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the notes that were left on Phoebe's porch. What does each of them mean, and how does each relate to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Sal want to hate Margaret? Explain how and why her feelings about Margaret change.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)