|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the maiden name of Sal's mother?
2. In what event does Mary Lou's family participate at the school sports day?
3. What happens to Gram at the Missouri River in South Dakota?
4. What did Mr. Birkway ask everyone to do in 15 seconds?
5. What did Sal's mother want to do the day before she left?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Phoebe react to the Finney house, and why does she react that way?
2. How did Sal feel when her mother left, and why?
3. How does Sal notices that Phoebe and Prudence have "their own agendas" after their mother burns the brownies?
4. How does Sal react to Margaret when they first meet, and why?
5. What do you think Mrs. Winterbottom means when she asks whether her daughters think she leads a tiny life?
6. How does Sal try to warn her father about Margaret?
7. Why does Sal feel guilty about her mother's miscarriage?
8. Why does Sal flinch every time someone touches her?
9. Why do you think that the whispers changed from saying "rush, rush," to "slow down, slow down"?
10. Who rings Phoebe's doorbell, and what does he want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A foil in literature refers to a character that highlights the traits of another character in order to make those traits more prominent. Explain how Phoebe is a foil for Sal.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the notes that were left on Phoebe's porch. What does each of them mean, and how does each relate to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Sal want to hate Margaret? Explain how and why her feelings about Margaret change.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)