|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When returning from the drug store, Ben comments that Sal does what every time someone touches her?
2. What does Sal dream about the night they sleep in the water bed?
3. The day her mother made brownies, where was Prudence prior to returning home?
4. What was drawn inside the shape of the drawing that Sal thought was Phoebe's?
5. According to Ben's report, what was the only thing left in Pandora's box?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ben's mother remind Sal of her own mother?
2. Why do you think Gram is so emotional about seeing Old Faithful?
3. Describe the atmosphere in Madison, Wisconsin.
4. How does Phoebe react to the Finney house, and why does she react that way?
5. After Phoebe and Sal discover who has been leaving the notes on Phoebe's porch, why do you think they find courage in spitting?
6. How do each of Mrs. Winterbottom's family members react to the news that Mike Bickle is her son?
7. How does Phoebe act at dinner with the Finneys? Why do you think she acted this way?
8. Why do you think that the whispers changed from saying "rush, rush," to "slow down, slow down"?
9. What three things did Sal discover she was jealous about?
10. How does Sal's father respond to the news that Mrs. Winterbottom has left, and why is this important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A foil in literature refers to a character that highlights the traits of another character in order to make those traits more prominent. Explain how Phoebe is a foil for Sal.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze in detail how Sal and Phoebe both allowed guilt to determine their actions.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the notes that were left on Phoebe's porch. What does each of them mean, and how does each relate to the story?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)