|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sal's father let her go on the trip with her grandparents?
2. By when does Sal want to get to Lewiston?
3. How would Phoebe's family best be described?
4. At what site do Sal and her Gram stop after they leave Madison?
5. What's written on the letter that Phoebe's mother Mrs. Winterbottom left for Mr. Winterbottom.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sal flinch every time someone touches her?
2. How did Sal feel when her mother left, and why?
3. Why does Sal's father allow Sal to go on the car trip with her grandparents?
4. Why do you think that the whispers changed from saying "rush, rush," to "slow down, slow down"?
5. How does Sal notices that Phoebe and Prudence have "their own agendas" after their mother burns the brownies?
6. How does Megan catch Phoebe in her lie about where her mother is?
7. How does Sal try to warn her father about Margaret?
8. How does Sal's father respond to the news that Mrs. Winterbottom has left, and why is this important?
9. Why is it significant that Ben and Sal draw the same thing in class?
10. Describe the atmosphere in Madison, Wisconsin.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Sal angry at her mother for leaving? What does being angry accomplish for Sal?
Essay Topic 2
How has Sal learned to deal with death and loss throughout the narrative? What attitude does she have toward death and loss at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the notes that were left on Phoebe's porch. What does each of them mean, and how does each relate to the story?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)