|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sal finds Mr. Birkway to be strange and _______.
2. Phoebe demands that her father calls __________.
3. What is the maiden name of Sal's mother?
4. At what body of water do Sal and her grandparents stop?
5. How does Phoebe react to the poem that Mr. Birkway reads in class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did both Sal and Phoebe lie about where their mothers were when they first left?
2. How does Sal's father respond to the news that Mrs. Winterbottom has left, and why is this important?
3. How did Sal feel when her mother left, and why?
4. How does Sergeant Bickle react to Phoebe's evidence? Why do you think he reacts that way?
5. At the beginning of the story, where is Sal's mother and why?
6. Why does Sal's father allow Sal to go on the car trip with her grandparents?
7. Why do you think that the whispers changed from saying "rush, rush," to "slow down, slow down"?
8. On the second day of the weekend sleepover, what does Ben perceive about Phoebe?
9. Describe the atmosphere in Madison, Wisconsin.
10. Why does Phoebe think that Margaret is a murderer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the story of Pandora relate to Sal and Phoebe? How do they seek and gain hope throughout the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the settings in which the novel primarily takes place. How do each of these settings affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the notes that were left on Phoebe's porch. What does each of them mean, and how does each relate to the story?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)