|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Sal and her grandparents react to seeing Mount Rushmore?
2. What type of tree is the "singing tree"?
3. What changes as they travel through South Dakota towards the Badlands?
4. What is the real age of Phoebe's father?
5. How does Sal's father describe Sal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sal notices that Phoebe and Prudence have "their own agendas" after their mother burns the brownies?
2. What is the significance of Gram and Gramps' marriage bed?
3. How does Sal try to warn her father about Margaret?
4. What do you think Mrs. Winterbottom means when she asks whether her daughters think she leads a tiny life?
5. Why do you think that the whispers changed from saying "rush, rush," to "slow down, slow down"?
6. Why do you think that the whispers changed again to "rush, hurry, rush"?
7. How is Phoebe's journal decorated, and why is this important?
8. How did Sal feel when her mother left, and why?
9. Why does Sal flinch every time someone touches her?
10. Why was the fact that Sugar cut her long hair important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Sal angry at her mother for leaving? What does being angry accomplish for Sal?
Essay Topic 2
How is symbolism used in Walk Two Moons? Give examples from the story, and explain what each symbolizes.
Essay Topic 3
A foil in literature refers to a character that highlights the traits of another character in order to make those traits more prominent. Explain how Phoebe is a foil for Sal.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)