|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After they move, what does Sal's father do for a living?
(a) Sells sewing machines.
(b) Works as a cashier.
(c) Works as a mechanic.
(d) Sells farm machinery.
2. What friend of Gram's didn't want her to marry Gramps?
3. According to Ben's report, what was the only thing left in Pandora's box?
4. What does Gramps offer the boy from the river at the hospital?
(b) Fifty dollars.
(c) Ten dollars.
(d) An invitation to join them.
5. After Mrs. Winterbottom left, Sal returned to find her father slumped over what?
(a) The stove.
(b) A chair.
(c) The photo album.
(d) A new book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Sal unhappy about sightseeing in Madison?
2. In what event does Mary Lou's family participate at the school sports day?
3. About how old is the young man who rings Phoebe's doorbell?
4. When having dinner at Phoebe's, what food reminds Sal of her mother?
5. What is the maiden name of Sal's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sal feel guilty about her mother's miscarriage?
2. Describe the atmosphere in Madison, Wisconsin.
3. What evidence does Phoebe present to Sergeant Bickle as proof that her mother was kidnapped?
4. How does Sergeant Bickle react to Phoebe's evidence? Why do you think he reacts that way?
5. How did Sal feel when her mother left, and why?
6. How does Sal notices that Phoebe and Prudence have "their own agendas" after their mother burns the brownies?
7. How does Sal react to Margaret when they first meet, and why?
8. Why did both Sal and Phoebe lie about where their mothers were when they first left?
9. Why do you think that the whispers changed from saying "rush, rush," to "slow down, slow down"?
10. Why is it significant that Ben and Sal draw the same thing in class?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)