|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sal dream about the night they sleep in the water bed?
(a) Floating down a river.
(b) Floating in the water at the beach.
2. What is on Sal's desk at school shortly after school begins?
(a) A ribbon.
(b) A spider.
(d) A bee.
3. How does Mr. Winterbottom look when he is called to the police station to get Phoebe and Sal?
4. The first day of school after her mother left, Phoebe's expression was?
(a) Cold and blank.
(b) A sealed, thin smile.
5. What does Phoebe imagine that Mrs. Cadaver and Mr. Birkway may be doing?
(b) Writing a mystery novel.
(c) Disguising her husband's grave with a rhododendron.
(d) Having an affair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Sal unhappy about sightseeing in Madison?
2. On Saturday, the girls notice Mrs. Cadaver doing what?
3. What's written on the letter that Phoebe's mother Mrs. Winterbottom left for Mr. Winterbottom.
4. How long did Gramps follow Gram before asking her father for permission to marry her?
5. How does Phoebe react to the poem that Mr. Birkway reads in class?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sal react to Margaret when they first meet, and why?
2. How does Sal's father respond to the news that Mrs. Winterbottom has left, and why is this important?
3. At the beginning of the story, where is Sal's mother and why?
4. Why does Sal flinch every time someone touches her?
5. Describe the atmosphere in Madison, Wisconsin.
6. Why is it significant that Ben and Sal draw the same thing in class?
7. How is Phoebe's journal decorated, and why is this important?
8. Why did both Sal and Phoebe lie about where their mothers were when they first left?
9. Why does Sal feel guilty about her mother's miscarriage?
10. Why were Grandparents Hiddle arrested, and what does this show about them?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)