|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By when does Sal want to get to Lewiston?
(a) Her grandmother's birthday.
(d) Her mother's birthday.
2. What does Gramps offer the boy from the river at the hospital?
(a) Ten dollars.
(c) Fifty dollars.
(d) An invitation to join them.
3. After Mrs. Winterbottom left, Sal returned to find her father slumped over what?
(a) The photo album.
(b) The stove.
(c) A chair.
(d) A new book.
4. How does Phoebe react to the poem that Mr. Birkway reads in class?
(a) She says that the man died naturally.
(b) She says that it is murder.
(c) She say it is terrifying.
(d) She says that it is boring.
5. On Saturday, the girls notice Mrs. Cadaver doing what?
(a) Cleaning the garage.
(b) Puttering around her garden.
(c) Committing a murder.
(d) Painting the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Sal and her grandparents react to seeing Mount Rushmore?
2. How long did Gramps follow Gram before asking her father for permission to marry her?
3. Why is Sal unhappy about sightseeing in Madison?
4. What is Mary Lou's last name?
5. How old is Sal when the story begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sal realize after she says that she wanted to tell Phoebe that Mrs. Winterbottom's leaving was not Phoebe's fault?
2. Why does Phoebe think that Margaret is a murderer?
3. Who rings Phoebe's doorbell, and what does he want?
4. How did Sal feel when her mother left, and why?
5. Why do you think that the whispers changed again to "rush, hurry, rush"?
6. Why does Sal feel guilty about her mother's miscarriage?
7. How does Sal try to warn her father about Margaret?
8. Why were Grandparents Hiddle arrested, and what does this show about them?
9. At the beginning of the story, where is Sal's mother and why?
10. Why did Sal's mother say that she felt rotten in comparison to Sal's father?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)