|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For whom is the young man on Phoebe's porch looking?
(a) Phoebe's mother.
(d) Phoebe's father.
2. How does Mr. Winterbottom look when he is called to the police station to get Phoebe and Sal?
3. After Mrs. Winterbottom left, Sal returned to find her father slumped over what?
(a) The stove.
(b) A new book.
(c) A chair.
(d) The photo album.
4. How many brothers does Mary Lou have?
5. By when does Sal want to get to Lewiston?
(c) Her grandmother's birthday.
(d) Her mother's birthday.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what town do they detour just before reaching the South Dakota border?
2. What is the maiden name of Sal's mother?
3. Why is Sal unhappy about sightseeing in Madison?
4. To what state are Sal and her grandparents traveling?
5. How long before the story begins did Sal and her father move?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sal react to Margaret when they first meet, and why?
2. Why did both Sal and Phoebe lie about where their mothers were when they first left?
3. Who rings Phoebe's doorbell, and what does he want?
4. What does Sal realize after she says that she wanted to tell Phoebe that Mrs. Winterbottom's leaving was not Phoebe's fault?
5. Why does Sal feel guilty about her mother's miscarriage?
6. How does Sal try to warn her father about Margaret?
7. How did Sal feel when her mother left, and why?
8. How does Sal's father respond to the news that Mrs. Winterbottom has left, and why is this important?
9. What is the significance of Gram and Gramps' marriage bed?
10. Why does Sal's father allow Sal to go on the car trip with her grandparents?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)