|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what event does Mary Lou's family participate at the school sports day?
(b) Egg throw.
(d) Three-legged race.
2. What was drawn inside the shape of the drawing that Sal thought was Phoebe's?
(a) A star.
(b) A heart.
(c) A teardrop.
(d) A triangle.
3. Whom did Mrs. Winterbottom call to let her family know she was okay?
(a) Mr. Birkway.
(b) Mr. Winterbottom.
4. How long did Gramps follow Gram before asking her father for permission to marry her?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 22 weeks.
(c) 22 days.
(d) 2 months.
5. What name did Sal suggest for her sister?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sal's mother leave for her when she left?
2. What type of tree is the "singing tree"?
3. After Mrs. Winterbottom left, Sal returned to find her father slumped over what?
4. Why were Sal's grandparents stopped by the police while driving?
5. When returning from the drug store, Ben comments that Sal does what every time someone touches her?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of the story, where is Sal's mother and why?
2. Why did Sal's mother say that she felt rotten in comparison to Sal's father?
3. How have the journal readings affected everyone in English class?
4. Why does Phoebe feel embarrassed when Mr. Birkway comes to her house?
5. How does Sal notices that Phoebe and Prudence have "their own agendas" after their mother burns the brownies?
6. What is the significance of Gram and Gramps' marriage bed?
7. How did Margaret and Sal's father meet?
8. When does Sal know for sure that her mother is not coming back?
9. How is Phoebe's journal decorated, and why is this important?
10. Why is Sal so affected by the thought of Mr. Winterbottom crying?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)