|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sal's father describe Sal?
2. How long before the story begins did Sal and her father move?
(a) Six months.
(b) One year.
(c) Two years.
(d) Three months.
3. How is the Finney household best described?
4. What does Gram threaten to do when Gramps swears too much?
(a) Find a new man.
(b) Break his legs.
(c) Go to sleep.
(d) Go back to the egg man.
5. What does Phoebe imagine that Mrs. Cadaver and Mr. Birkway may be doing?
(a) Disguising her husband's grave with a rhododendron.
(c) Writing a mystery novel.
(d) Having an affair.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Phoebe, Ben, Mary Lou, and Sal were walking home from school, who did they run in to?
2. In what event does Mary Lou's family participate at the school sports day?
3. What does Gramps offer the boy from the river at the hospital?
4. How does Mr. Winterbottom look when he is called to the police station to get Phoebe and Sal?
5. Where does Phoebe say her mother went to while in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sal's father respond to the news that Mrs. Winterbottom has left, and why is this important?
2. Why did Sal's mother say that she felt rotten in comparison to Sal's father?
3. What does Sal realize after she says that she wanted to tell Phoebe that Mrs. Winterbottom's leaving was not Phoebe's fault?
4. Who rings Phoebe's doorbell, and what does he want?
5. Why did both Sal and Phoebe lie about where their mothers were when they first left?
6. Why was the fact that Sugar cut her long hair important?
7. Why does Sal's father allow Sal to go on the car trip with her grandparents?
8. Why does the blackberry pie trigger a negative memory for Sal?
9. How did Sal feel when her mother left, and why?
10. Why does Phoebe think that Margaret is a murderer?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)