|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the maiden name of Sal's mother?
2. When Phoebe goes downstairs to say goodnight to her father, what does she notice he had been doing?
(a) Playing cards.
(d) Writing a letter.
3. How is the Finney household best described?
4. What did Sal's mother want to do the day before she left?
(a) Look through Sal's baby pictures.
(b) Take a walk in the fields with Sal.
(c) Go shopping.
(d) Take Sal to dinner.
5. Whom did Mrs. Winterbottom call to let her family know she was okay?
(a) Mr. Birkway.
(c) Mr. Winterbottom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name did Sal suggest for her sister?
2. What flavor does Sal detect in the kiss of all trees?
3. How would Phoebe's family best be described?
4. Why does Sal's father let her go on the trip with her grandparents?
5. How does Sal react to the poem that Mr. Birkway reads in class?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Phoebe react to the Finney house, and why does she react that way?
2. Why is it significant that Ben and Sal draw the same thing in class?
3. Who rings Phoebe's doorbell, and what does he want?
4. What is the significance of Gram and Gramps' marriage bed?
5. What do you think Mrs. Winterbottom means when she asks whether her daughters think she leads a tiny life?
6. How does Sal's father respond to the news that Mrs. Winterbottom has left, and why is this important?
7. How does Phoebe act at dinner with the Finneys? Why do you think she acted this way?
8. Why do you think that the whispers changed again to "rush, hurry, rush"?
9. How does Sal try to warn her father about Margaret?
10. Describe the atmosphere in Madison, Wisconsin.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)