|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The day her mother made brownies, where was Prudence prior to returning home?
(a) The movies.
(b) A date.
(c) The library.
(d) Cheerleading tryouts.
2. What happens to Gram at the Missouri River in South Dakota?
(a) She breaks her leg.
(b) She's bitten by a rattlesnake.
(c) She nearly drowns.
(d) She's bitten by a water moccasin.
3. When returning from the drug store, Ben comments that Sal does what every time someone touches her?
(b) Runs away.
4. What happened to Sal three weeks before her baby sibling was due?
(a) She broke her leg.
(b) She broke her arm.
(c) She found money in the woods.
(d) She lost her mother's locket.
5. What changes as they travel through South Dakota towards the Badlands?
(b) Their route.
(c) The weather.
(d) The whispers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Sal when the story begins?
2. Who teaches Sal how to drive?
3. What color is the cardigan that Phoebe finds on the chair?
4. After they move, what does Sal's father do for a living?
5. What was drawn inside the shape of the drawing that Sal thought was Phoebe's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Gram and Gramps' marriage bed?
2. How does Sal notices that Phoebe and Prudence have "their own agendas" after their mother burns the brownies?
3. Why did Sal's mother say that she felt rotten in comparison to Sal's father?
4. At the beginning of the story, where is Sal's mother and why?
5. Why does Sal's father allow Sal to go on the car trip with her grandparents?
6. How does Sergeant Bickle react to Phoebe's evidence? Why do you think he reacts that way?
7. How does Megan catch Phoebe in her lie about where her mother is?
8. How does Sal try to warn her father about Margaret?
9. Why does Sal feel guilty about her mother's miscarriage?
10. Why were Grandparents Hiddle arrested, and what does this show about them?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)