|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About how old is the young man who rings Phoebe's doorbell?
2. What was in Lewiston, Idaho, for Sal's mother?
(a) A brother.
(b) An ex-boyfriend.
(c) A new job.
(d) A cousin.
3. What type of stories did Sal's mother enjoy reading?
(a) Stories about cowboys and Indians.
(c) Stories about reincarnation.
4. When Phoebe goes downstairs to say goodnight to her father, what does she notice he had been doing?
(a) Writing a letter.
(d) Playing cards.
5. What object do the girls see Ben lift from the sidewalk?
(a) A bat.
(b) A machete.
(c) A stick.
(d) An ax.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sal's father let her go on the trip with her grandparents?
2. How does Sal feel right after her mother leaves?
3. Why were Sal's grandparents stopped by the police while driving?
4. What is Mary Lou's last name?
5. What does Sal dream about the night they sleep in the water bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sal feel guilty about her mother's miscarriage?
2. Why were Grandparents Hiddle arrested, and what does this show about them?
3. What is the significance of Gram and Gramps' marriage bed?
4. How does Sal notices that Phoebe and Prudence have "their own agendas" after their mother burns the brownies?
5. At the beginning of the story, where is Sal's mother and why?
6. What evidence does Phoebe present to Sergeant Bickle as proof that her mother was kidnapped?
7. How did Sal feel when her mother left, and why?
8. What does Sal realize after she says that she wanted to tell Phoebe that Mrs. Winterbottom's leaving was not Phoebe's fault?
9. Why did Sal's mother say that she felt rotten in comparison to Sal's father?
10. Describe the atmosphere in Madison, Wisconsin.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)