|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is hidden under the floorboards of Sal's room along with her mother's hair?
(b) Her journal.
2. Who wrote the poem that Mr. Birkway reads in class?
3. Where does Phoebe tell the girls at school her mother went?
(b) New York.
(c) None of their business.
(d) A business trip.
4. According to Ben's report, what was the only thing left in Pandora's box?
5. What happens to Gram at the Missouri River in South Dakota?
(a) She nearly drowns.
(b) She breaks her leg.
(c) She's bitten by a water moccasin.
(d) She's bitten by a rattlesnake.
Short Answer Questions
1. When returning from the drug store, Ben comments that Sal does what every time someone touches her?
2. What name did Sal suggest for her sister?
3. What does Sal dream about the night they sleep in the water bed?
4. What flower does Sal's father leave at her place at the table?
5. What is the name of the boy from the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were Grandparents Hiddle arrested, and what does this show about them?
2. Why does the blackberry pie trigger a negative memory for Sal?
3. At the beginning of the story, where is Sal's mother and why?
4. What do you think Mrs. Winterbottom means when she asks whether her daughters think she leads a tiny life?
5. Why did Sal's mother say that she felt rotten in comparison to Sal's father?
6. How does Sal's father respond to the news that Mrs. Winterbottom has left, and why is this important?
7. Why was the fact that Sugar cut her long hair important?
8. How does Sal react to Margaret when they first meet, and why?
9. Who rings Phoebe's doorbell, and what does he want?
10. What evidence does Phoebe present to Sergeant Bickle as proof that her mother was kidnapped?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)