|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long before the story begins did Sal and her father move?
(a) Six months.
(b) One year.
(c) Two years.
(d) Three months.
2. Where does Phoebe tell the girls at school her mother went?
(b) New York.
(c) None of their business.
(d) A business trip.
3. When returning from the drug store, Ben comments that Sal does what every time someone touches her?
(a) Runs away.
4. How does Phoebe react to the poem that Mr. Birkway reads in class?
(a) She say it is terrifying.
(b) She says that it is murder.
(c) She says that it is boring.
(d) She says that the man died naturally.
5. At what hotel do Sal and her grandparents stay outside of Chicago?
(a) Sleepy Inn.
(b) Super 8 Motel.
(c) Day's Inn.
(d) Howard Johnson.
6. How is the Finney household best described?
7. What does Phoebe imagine that Mrs. Cadaver and Mr. Birkway may be doing?
(a) Having an affair.
(c) Writing a mystery novel.
(d) Disguising her husband's grave with a rhododendron.
8. How does Mr. Winterbottom look when he is called to the police station to get Phoebe and Sal?
9. What happens to Gram at the Missouri River in South Dakota?
(a) She's bitten by a rattlesnake.
(b) She's bitten by a water moccasin.
(c) She nearly drowns.
(d) She breaks her leg.
10. What was drawn inside the shape of the drawing that Sal thought was Phoebe's?
(a) A teardrop.
(b) A triangle.
(c) A heart.
(d) A star.
11. What does Sal notice about her father in the garage when she returns home?
(a) He was angry.
(b) He was crying.
(c) He was laughing.
(d) He was lazy.
12. How old did the man at the State Fair guess that Phoebe's father was?
13. How do Sal and her grandparents react to seeing Mount Rushmore?
(a) They are angry.
(b) They want to explore the landmark for hours.
(c) They are disappointed.
(d) They are in awe.
14. What changes as they travel through South Dakota towards the Badlands?
(b) The whispers.
(c) The weather.
(d) Their route.
15. By when does Sal want to get to Lewiston?
(a) Her grandmother's birthday.
(d) Her mother's birthday.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mary Lou's last name?
2. To what state are Sal and her grandparents traveling?
3. What does Phoebe lecture the Finneys about?
4. How many other sons did Sal's grandparents have?
5. How does Sal's father describe Sal?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)