|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About how old is the young man who rings Phoebe's doorbell?
2. How many brothers does Mary Lou have?
3. Why were Sal's grandparents stopped by the police while driving?
(a) They were driving too slowly.
(b) They were swerving back and forth.
(c) They were speeding.
(d) They were driving on the shoulder.
4. How long did Sal's father have his car?
(a) 12 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 16 years.
(d) 5 years.
5. On Saturday, the girls notice Mrs. Cadaver doing what?
(a) Puttering around her garden.
(b) Committing a murder.
(c) Painting the house.
(d) Cleaning the garage.
6. What did Sal's mother leave for her when she left?
(a) A picture.
(b) A letter.
(c) A locket.
(d) A book.
7. What did Mr. Birkway ask everyone to do in 15 seconds?
(a) Write a paragraph.
(b) Find Egypt on the map.
(c) Name three authors.
(d) Draw something.
8. Why is Sal unhappy about sightseeing in Madison?
(a) She thinks they are not traveling fast enough.
(b) She does not like the atmosphere in Madison.
(c) She thinks that Madison is boring.
(d) She does not think that her grandparents are taking enough time at each tourist spot.
9. What does Phoebe imagine that Mrs. Cadaver and Mr. Birkway may be doing?
(a) Having an affair.
(b) Disguising her husband's grave with a rhododendron.
(d) Writing a mystery novel.
10. What color is the cardigan that Phoebe finds on the chair?
11. What object do the girls see Ben lift from the sidewalk?
(a) An ax.
(b) A bat.
(c) A machete.
(d) A stick.
12. What happens to Gram at the Missouri River in South Dakota?
(a) She breaks her leg.
(b) She's bitten by a rattlesnake.
(c) She's bitten by a water moccasin.
(d) She nearly drowns.
13. What does Sal notice about her father in the garage when she returns home?
(a) He was angry.
(b) He was lazy.
(c) He was crying.
(d) He was laughing.
14. When Phoebe goes downstairs to say goodnight to her father, what does she notice he had been doing?
(a) Playing cards.
(c) Writing a letter.
15. At what site do Sal and her Gram stop after they leave Madison?
(a) Museum of Woodcarving.
(b) The Wisconsin Dells.
(c) House on the Rock.
(d) Rhinelander Logging Museum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was in Lewiston, Idaho, for Sal's mother?
2. What changes as they travel through South Dakota towards the Badlands?
3. What type of tree is the "singing tree"?
4. How does Mr. Winterbottom look when he is called to the police station to get Phoebe and Sal?
5. How does Sal react to the poem that Mr. Birkway reads in class?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)