|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Phoebe's journal decorated?
(a) A cartoon is drawn on it.
(b) It is plain.
(c) With stars and rainbows.
(d) With pictures of male models.
2. At what hotel do Sal and her grandparents stay outside of Chicago?
(a) Super 8 Motel.
(b) Day's Inn.
(c) Howard Johnson.
(d) Sleepy Inn.
3. By when does Sal want to get to Lewiston?
(c) Her mother's birthday.
(d) Her grandmother's birthday.
4. How many other sons did Sal's grandparents have?
5. What changes as they travel through South Dakota towards the Badlands?
(a) The whispers.
(b) The weather.
(d) Their route.
6. What type of stories did Sal's mother enjoy reading?
(b) Stories about cowboys and Indians.
(d) Stories about reincarnation.
7. At what site do Sal and her Gram stop after they leave Madison?
(a) The Wisconsin Dells.
(b) House on the Rock.
(c) Rhinelander Logging Museum.
(d) Museum of Woodcarving.
8. How does Mr. Winterbottom look when he is called to the police station to get Phoebe and Sal?
9. How is the Finney household best described?
10. Why were Sal's grandparents stopped by the police while driving?
(a) They were driving on the shoulder.
(b) They were swerving back and forth.
(c) They were speeding.
(d) They were driving too slowly.
11. Who teaches Sal how to drive?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her mother.
12. In what event does Mary Lou's family participate at the school sports day?
(a) Three-legged race.
(b) Egg throw.
13. How does Sal feel right after her mother leaves?
14. What is hidden under the floorboards of Sal's room along with her mother's hair?
(a) Her journal.
15. What happens to Gram at the Missouri River in South Dakota?
(a) She's bitten by a rattlesnake.
(b) She's bitten by a water moccasin.
(c) She nearly drowns.
(d) She breaks her leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Phoebe is driving Sal crazy, what does Ben think is her main problem?
2. What is on Sal's desk at school shortly after school begins?
3. Why does Phoebe refuse her mother's brownie?
4. Where does Phoebe tell the girls at school her mother went?
5. What flavor does Sal detect in the kiss of all trees?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)