|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sal's father let her go on the trip with her grandparents?
(a) He does not think his parents can read maps.
(b) He thinks that Sal needs to bond with her grandparents.
(c) He wants Sal to learn how to drive.
(d) He wants a break from spending time with Sal.
2. What does Sal dream about the night they sleep in the water bed?
(c) Floating down a river.
(d) Floating in the water at the beach.
3. What flavor does Sal detect in the kiss of all trees?
4. When Phoebe goes downstairs to say goodnight to her father, what does she notice he had been doing?
(a) Writing a letter.
(d) Playing cards.
5. Why is Sal unhappy about sightseeing in Madison?
(a) She does not like the atmosphere in Madison.
(b) She thinks that Madison is boring.
(c) She thinks they are not traveling fast enough.
(d) She does not think that her grandparents are taking enough time at each tourist spot.
6. What was drawn inside the shape of the drawing that Sal thought was Phoebe's?
(a) A heart.
(b) A star.
(c) A teardrop.
(d) A triangle.
7. The girls overhear Mrs. Winterbottom ask what question of Prudence?
(a) "Do you find me boring?"
(b) "Do you think I lead a tiny life?"
(c) "Do you think I'm stupid?"
(d) "Do you think I look fat in this?"
8. What does Phoebe do all weekend at Sal's house?
(c) Makes jokes.
9. For whom is the young man on Phoebe's porch looking?
(a) Phoebe's mother.
(c) Phoebe's father.
10. When having dinner at Phoebe's, what food reminds Sal of her mother?
(a) Chocolate cake.
11. What is hidden under the floorboards of Sal's room along with her mother's hair?
(a) Her journal.
12. What color is the cardigan that Phoebe finds on the chair?
13. How does Sal react to the poem that Mr. Birkway reads in class?
(a) She says that it is murder.
(b) She say it is terrifying.
(c) She says that it is boring.
(d) She says that the man died naturally.
14. What did Sal's mother want to do the day before she left?
(a) Take a walk in the fields with Sal.
(b) Look through Sal's baby pictures.
(c) Go shopping.
(d) Take Sal to dinner.
15. What flower does Sal's father leave at her place at the table?
(b) Black-eyed Susan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name did Sal suggest for her sister?
2. What is the maiden name of Sal's mother?
3. How many other sons did Sal's grandparents have?
4. What does Phoebe imagine that Mrs. Cadaver and Mr. Birkway may be doing?
5. The day her mother made brownies, where was Prudence prior to returning home?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)