Chapter 1 | Chapter 2
• Sal's mother left one April morning. That night, her father chips away a wall and reveals a fireplace.
• A year before the story begins, Sal's father moves them from Bybanks, Kentucky, to Euclid, Ohio, where they meet Margaret and Phoebe.
• Sal starts a car trip with her grandparents to see her mother, who is "resting comfortably" in Lewiston, Idaho. Her father lets her go because her grandparents tend to get in trouble on car rides.
• Sal prays that they will get to Lewiston in seven days, on her mother's birthday.
• Sal's grandparents ask her to entertain them with a story, and she begins to tell about Phoebe Winterbottom, her friend in Euclid.
Chapter 3 | Chapter 4
• Sal meets Margaret, but acts coolly toward her because she senses that Margaret has a relationship with her father.
• The children in Euclid are very different from those Sal is used to...
This section contains 3,496 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)