|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of bird does Thoreau begin to see again in April?
2. What happens when Thoreau goes fishing?
3. On what day in 1852 was Walden first completely open?
4. What does Thoreau do when ice first forms on the pond?
5. "Remember thy Creator in the days of thy..."
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau throw sweet corn on the snow by his door?
2. How does Thoreau feel after he witnesses the ants battling?
3. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
4. What are the two paths that Thoreau finds himself drawn to?
5. Why does Thoreau leave Walden Pond?
6. How does Thoreau describe the condition of the hut that John Field's family lives in?
7. Why does Thoreau's self-respect fall when he goes fishing?
8. What does Thoreau think John Field's future holds?
9. What does Thoreau compare the spring melt with?
10. How does Thoreau build a store of food for winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing and comparing the practices of etiquette for visiting friends in America and abroad.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about an animal of your choice. Explain its habitat, diet and physical characteristics. How does it interact with other animals? What impact does it have on human life?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay for or against vegetarianism. What are the impacts of your personal eating habits on your body, the environment, and the economy?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)