|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What date does Thoreau leave Walden?
2. "Sell your clothes and keep your..."
3. What does the poet say is the greatest thing he has seen today?
4. What kind of animal does Thoreau find in his house?
5. What animal does Thoreau sometimes eat with relish?
Short Essay Questions
1. What game does Thoreau play with the loon?
2. How does Thoreau feel after he witnesses the ants battling?
3. How does Thoreau describe his encounters with cats in the forest?
4. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
5. What did Thoreau use as an excuse to carry a gun?
6. What does Thoreau learn from his experiment?
7. How does Thoreau describe the condition of the hut that John Field's family lives in?
8. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
9. What does Thoreau say about Zilpha's life?
10. What does Thoreau say we should practice moderation in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing and comparing the practices of etiquette for visiting friends in America and abroad.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining the individual's responsibility for philanthropy and charity. Be sure to address the following:
1 - Is humankind basically selfish or altruistic?
2 - What responsibilities are required of charitable organizations?
3 - Any charitable causes about which you feel strongly.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the benefits/drawbacks of the Industrial Revolution. Be sure to address:
1 - Key inventions that allowed society to progress.
2 - Some of the issues and drawbacks of the revolution.
3 - What the world would be like if the Industrial Revolution had never occurred.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)