|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Thoreau use to watch the war more closely?
2. What animals are likely to thrive no matter what?
3. What creatures do Thoreau find battling in the wood-pile?
4. What animal does Thoreau sometimes eat with relish?
5. To what does Thoreau compare his body?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing and comparing the practices of etiquette for visiting friends in America and abroad.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing Thoreau's description of winter with that of another author in another book. How are their views of the season similar/different? Who do you relate to more? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining the pros and cons of living an isolated life. In what situations is it considered beneficial to be solitary, such as during meditation? In what situations is being isolated considered a punishment, such as during solitary confinement? Why does solitude have such different effects in certain situations?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)