|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which tribe calls hunters the "best men"?
2. What vegetable does Thoreau chiefly grow at Walden Pond?
3. What does Thoreau do to pass the time on winter evenings?
4. What animal does Thoreau sometimes eat with relish?
5. What did Thoreau use during his second winter at Walden Pond?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau feel after he witnesses the ants battling?
2. How does Thoreau build a store of food for winter?
3. What are the two paths that Thoreau finds himself drawn to?
4. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
5. Why does Thoreau leave Walden Pond?
6. How does Thoreau describe the condition of the hut that John Field's family lives in?
7. What does Thoreau learn from his experiment?
8. What game does Thoreau play with the loon?
9. Why does Thoreau admire the 'wild men' who go ice-fishing on Walden Pond?
10. How does Thoreau say Walden Pond got its revenge on the men who were harvesting the ice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the process of food production. Where does our food come from? How does it get from the farm to the table? How much of our diet is grown locally and how much is grown internationally? How can our food production system be improved?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing and comparing the practices of etiquette for visiting friends in America and abroad.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay for or against vegetarianism. What are the impacts of your personal eating habits on your body, the environment, and the economy?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)