|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What creatures do Thoreau find battling in the wood-pile?
2. What date does Thoreau leave Walden?
3. What animals are likely to thrive no matter what?
4. What does Thoreau call his time at Walden Pond?
5. What kind of literature does Thoreau like best?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau describe the condition of the hut that John Field's family lives in?
2. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
3. How does Thoreau feel after he witnesses the ants battling?
4. What does Thoreau say about Zilpha's life?
5. What are the two paths that Thoreau finds himself drawn to?
6. What does Thoreau learn from his experiment?
7. What game does Thoreau play with the loon?
8. Why does Thoreau admire the 'wild men' who go ice-fishing on Walden Pond?
9. What did the old man see when he was hunting ducks?
10. Who is the poet with whom Thoreau has a conversation at the beginning of the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the benefits/drawbacks of the Industrial Revolution. Be sure to address:
1 - Key inventions that allowed society to progress.
2 - Some of the issues and drawbacks of the revolution.
3 - What the world would be like if the Industrial Revolution had never occurred.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about an animal of your choice. Explain its habitat, diet and physical characteristics. How does it interact with other animals? What impact does it have on human life?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining the impact Walden had on one of the following: Literature, art, psychology and philosophy.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)