|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Thoreau describe as "rudimental, burrowing men"?
2. What insect came to Walden Pond by thousands in October?
3. What animal grows to be four feet long, yet is rarely seen by humans?
4. What happened to Breed's hut?
5. What animals are likely to thrive no matter what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thoreau compare the spring melt with?
2. What do the hunters say is the downfall of the fox in the foxhunt?
3. How does Thoreau feel after he witnesses the ants battling?
4. How does Thoreau say Walden Pond got its revenge on the men who were harvesting the ice?
5. Why does Thoreau's self-respect fall when he goes fishing?
6. What does Thoreau say we should practice moderation in?
7. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
8. What are the two paths that Thoreau finds himself drawn to?
9. Why does Thoreau throw sweet corn on the snow by his door?
10. How does Thoreau build a store of food for winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining the opportunities and hardships immigrants faced in the United States in the 19th century. Do present-day immigrants have better opportunities now? What is the American dream, and is it possible to achieve it?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the benefits/drawbacks of the Industrial Revolution. Be sure to address:
1 - Key inventions that allowed society to progress.
2 - Some of the issues and drawbacks of the revolution.
3 - What the world would be like if the Industrial Revolution had never occurred.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about an aspect of Global Warming. How is it caused? What are the potential consequences? What can be done to change this process?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)