|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What insect came to Walden Pond by thousands in October?
2. What bird does Thoreau hear almost every day in the winter?
3. For what does San Nutting exchange bear skins?
4. What does Thoreau sell before he moves into the woods?
5. What does Thoreau sometimes dream of owning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thoreau think John Field's future holds?
2. What did Thoreau use as an excuse to carry a gun?
3. Why does Thoreau admire the 'wild men' who go ice-fishing on Walden Pond?
4. How does Thoreau feel after he witnesses the ants battling?
5. What did the old man see when he was hunting ducks?
6. Who is the poet with whom Thoreau has a conversation at the beginning of the chapter?
7. What does Thoreau compare the spring melt with?
8. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
9. How does Thoreau describe his encounters with cats in the forest?
10. How does Thoreau describe the condition of the hut that John Field's family lives in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about an aspect of Global Warming. How is it caused? What are the potential consequences? What can be done to change this process?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing Thoreau's description of winter with that of another author in another book. How are their views of the season similar/different? Who do you relate to more? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay recounting the history of your area. When was your town/city founded? Who were the people instrumental in shaping the development of the area? What were the significant events that affected your town/city?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)