|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the ice from Walden Pond?
2. What instrument does Thoreau use to watch the war more closely?
3. What does Thoreau say he chanced upon one day?
4. What word doesn't Thoreau use to describe John Field?
5. What does Thoreau call his time at Walden Pond?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thoreau learn from his experiment?
2. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
3. What are the two paths that Thoreau finds himself drawn to?
4. What did Thoreau use as an excuse to carry a gun?
5. Why does Thoreau's self-respect fall when he goes fishing?
6. What does Thoreau say about Zilpha's life?
7. What did the old man see when he was hunting ducks?
8. What game does Thoreau play with the loon?
9. How does Thoreau feel after he witnesses the ants battling?
10. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing an area in America or abroad that is naturally beautiful or an important part of nature. Be sure to address:
1 - Any threats to the area.
2 - Why the area should be preserved or protected.
3 - Any features that make the area unique or interesting.
Essay Topic 2
If you tried to carry out Thoreau's experiment today, would it be possible? Why or why not? Write an essay explaining how our modern society can prevent us from living such a simplified lifestyle. Be sure to include any modern inventions that would actually assist a minimalist lifestyle.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about an animal of your choice. Explain its habitat, diet and physical characteristics. How does it interact with other animals? What impact does it have on human life?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)