|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does San Nutting exchange bear skins?
2. According to tales, who planted the beech grove?
3. What does Thoreau compare to pearls and crystals?
4. What did Thoreau use during his second winter at Walden Pond?
5. "Sell your clothes and keep your..."
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau admire the 'wild men' who go ice-fishing on Walden Pond?
2. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
3. How does Thoreau say Walden Pond got its revenge on the men who were harvesting the ice?
4. What does Thoreau think John Field's future holds?
5. What does Thoreau learn from his experiment?
6. What did Thoreau use as an excuse to carry a gun?
7. What are the two paths that Thoreau finds himself drawn to?
8. How does Thoreau describe his encounters with cats in the forest?
9. Why does Thoreau 'visit' particular trees?
10. What does Thoreau compare the spring melt with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining the impact Walden had on one of the following: Literature, art, psychology and philosophy.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing Thoreau's description of winter with that of another author in another book. How are their views of the season similar/different? Who do you relate to more? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Choose any poem written about springtime. Write an essay about that poem, explaining the imagery and the author's point of view.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)