|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one hunter use as a musical instrument?
2. What kind of bird does Thoreau watch for hours in the fall?
3. Where have loons been caught with fishing hooks, eighty feet below the water's surface?
4. What feeling does spring create in men?
5. What does Thoreau compare to pearls and crystals?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the old man see when he was hunting ducks?
2. What does Thoreau think John Field's future holds?
3. How does Thoreau describe the condition of the hut that John Field's family lives in?
4. Why does Thoreau 'visit' particular trees?
5. What does Thoreau say we should practice moderation in?
6. What did Thoreau use as an excuse to carry a gun?
7. How does Thoreau build a store of food for winter?
8. What does Thoreau compare the spring melt with?
9. How does Thoreau feel after he witnesses the ants battling?
10. Why does Thoreau admire the 'wild men' who go ice-fishing on Walden Pond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about an aspect of Global Warming. How is it caused? What are the potential consequences? What can be done to change this process?
Essay Topic 2
Choose any poem written about springtime. Write an essay about that poem, explaining the imagery and the author's point of view.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about a person of historical significance and compare their philosophies and ideals to that of Thoreau. Be sure to address:
1 - Views on materialism and lifestyle.
2 - Whether or not this person "lived" their own philosophy.
3 - The importance of this person in history and impact upon cultures.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)