|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Walden Pond described by the locals?
2. Which tribe calls hunters the "best men"?
3. What is the destiny of the human race?
4. Where have loons been caught with fishing hooks, eighty feet below the water's surface?
5. What vegetable does Thoreau chiefly grow at Walden Pond?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thoreau say we should practice moderation in?
2. Who is the poet with whom Thoreau has a conversation at the beginning of the chapter?
3. What does Thoreau learn from his experiment?
4. What does Thoreau compare the spring melt with?
5. What are the two paths that Thoreau finds himself drawn to?
6. What did Thoreau use as an excuse to carry a gun?
7. Why does Thoreau 'visit' particular trees?
8. What does Thoreau think John Field's future holds?
9. How does Thoreau describe his encounters with cats in the forest?
10. What game does Thoreau play with the loon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay recounting the history of your area. When was your town/city founded? Who were the people instrumental in shaping the development of the area? What were the significant events that affected your town/city?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about an animal of your choice. Explain its habitat, diet and physical characteristics. How does it interact with other animals? What impact does it have on human life?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay for or against vegetarianism. What are the impacts of your personal eating habits on your body, the environment, and the economy?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)