|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to tales, who planted the beech grove?
2. What does Thoreau have difficulty finding in the winter?
3. What insect came to Walden Pond by thousands in October?
4. Who came the farthest to visit Thoreau in the winter?
5. What creatures do Thoreau find battling in the wood-pile?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Brister Freeman?
2. What does Thoreau think John Field's future holds?
3. What are the two paths that Thoreau finds himself drawn to?
4. What did the old man see when he was hunting ducks?
5. What does Thoreau say we should practice moderation in?
6. How does Thoreau describe his encounters with cats in the forest?
7. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
8. Who is the poet with whom Thoreau has a conversation at the beginning of the chapter?
9. What game does Thoreau play with the loon?
10. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about an animal of your choice. Explain its habitat, diet and physical characteristics. How does it interact with other animals? What impact does it have on human life?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining the impact Walden had on one of the following: Literature, art, psychology and philosophy.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay for or against vegetarianism. What are the impacts of your personal eating habits on your body, the environment, and the economy?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)