|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thoreau compare to pearls and crystals?
2. Thoreau is inclined to be a...
3. What insect came to Walden Pond by thousands in October?
4. What date does Thoreau leave Walden?
5. What instrument does Thoreau use to watch the war more closely?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau throw sweet corn on the snow by his door?
2. How does Thoreau feel after he witnesses the ants battling?
3. What does Thoreau learn from his experiment?
4. Why does Thoreau admire the 'wild men' who go ice-fishing on Walden Pond?
5. How does Thoreau describe the condition of the hut that John Field's family lives in?
6. Who was Brister Freeman?
7. What does Thoreau say about Zilpha's life?
8. Who is the poet with whom Thoreau has a conversation at the beginning of the chapter?
9. What did the old man see when he was hunting ducks?
10. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining the individual's responsibility for philanthropy and charity. Be sure to address the following:
1 - Is humankind basically selfish or altruistic?
2 - What responsibilities are required of charitable organizations?
3 - Any charitable causes about which you feel strongly.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining the opportunities and hardships immigrants faced in the United States in the 19th century. Do present-day immigrants have better opportunities now? What is the American dream, and is it possible to achieve it?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the benefits/drawbacks of the Industrial Revolution. Be sure to address:
1 - Key inventions that allowed society to progress.
2 - Some of the issues and drawbacks of the revolution.
3 - What the world would be like if the Industrial Revolution had never occurred.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)