|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Breed's hut?
2. According to tales, who planted the beech grove?
3. On what day in 1852 was Walden first completely open?
4. What animal was Thoreau surprised to see walking along the shore of the pond?
5. Who does Thoreau meet when taking shelter from a thunder storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thoreau think John Field's future holds?
2. How does Thoreau feel after he witnesses the ants battling?
3. How does Thoreau describe the condition of the hut that John Field's family lives in?
4. What does Thoreau say we should practice moderation in?
5. Why does Thoreau's self-respect fall when he goes fishing?
6. What did Thoreau use as an excuse to carry a gun?
7. What did the old man see when he was hunting ducks?
8. Why does Thoreau admire the 'wild men' who go ice-fishing on Walden Pond?
9. Why does Thoreau leave Walden Pond?
10. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining the pros and cons of living an isolated life. In what situations is it considered beneficial to be solitary, such as during meditation? In what situations is being isolated considered a punishment, such as during solitary confinement? Why does solitude have such different effects in certain situations?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about an aspect of Global Warming. How is it caused? What are the potential consequences? What can be done to change this process?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the history of Concord. Be sure to address:
1 - When the town was founded
2 - Key figures in the development of the town and surrounding area.
3 - Significant events that shaped and impacted the community.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)