|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused John Farmer to contemplate his life?
2. Where have loons been caught with fishing hooks, eighty feet below the water's surface?
3. "Remember thy Creator in the days of thy..."
4. What kind of tree is two feet in diameter?
5. What animal does Thoreau hear hunting with men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thoreau think John Field's future holds?
2. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
3. Why does Thoreau leave Walden Pond?
4. How does Thoreau say Walden Pond got its revenge on the men who were harvesting the ice?
5. How does Thoreau build a store of food for winter?
6. What does Thoreau learn from his experiment?
7. What do the hunters say is the downfall of the fox in the foxhunt?
8. What did Thoreau use as an excuse to carry a gun?
9. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
10. Why does Thoreau admire the 'wild men' who go ice-fishing on Walden Pond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing an area in America or abroad that is naturally beautiful or an important part of nature. Be sure to address:
1 - Any threats to the area.
2 - Why the area should be preserved or protected.
3 - Any features that make the area unique or interesting.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing Thoreau's description of winter with that of another author in another book. How are their views of the season similar/different? Who do you relate to more? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing and comparing the practices of etiquette for visiting friends in America and abroad.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)