|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where have loons been caught with fishing hooks, eighty feet below the water's surface?
2. What instrument does Thoreau use to watch the war more closely?
3. What animal does Thoreau sometimes eat with relish?
4. What animals were inside the shelter with the Field family?
5. "We can never have enough of..."
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau describe his encounters with cats in the forest?
2. Who is the poet with whom Thoreau has a conversation at the beginning of the chapter?
3. What are the two paths that Thoreau finds himself drawn to?
4. What does Thoreau say about Zilpha's life?
5. Why does Thoreau throw sweet corn on the snow by his door?
6. How does Thoreau say Walden Pond got its revenge on the men who were harvesting the ice?
7. Why does Thoreau 'visit' particular trees?
8. What game does Thoreau play with the loon?
9. Why does Thoreau admire the 'wild men' who go ice-fishing on Walden Pond?
10. What do the hunters say is the downfall of the fox in the foxhunt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the process of food production. Where does our food come from? How does it get from the farm to the table? How much of our diet is grown locally and how much is grown internationally? How can our food production system be improved?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing Thoreau's description of winter with that of another author in another book. How are their views of the season similar/different? Who do you relate to more? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about an aspect of Global Warming. How is it caused? What are the potential consequences? What can be done to change this process?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)