|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thoreau do when ice first forms on the pond?
2. "Sell your clothes and keep your..."
3. What does Thoreau do to pass the time on winter evenings?
4. What should we come home with after adventures?
5. What animal does Thoreau sometimes eat with relish?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thoreau learn from his experiment?
2. Why does Thoreau's self-respect fall when he goes fishing?
3. What does Thoreau think John Field's future holds?
4. Who was Brister Freeman?
5. What does Thoreau say about Zilpha's life?
6. How does Thoreau describe the condition of the hut that John Field's family lives in?
7. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
8. What do the hunters say is the downfall of the fox in the foxhunt?
9. Why does Thoreau throw sweet corn on the snow by his door?
10. Who is the poet with whom Thoreau has a conversation at the beginning of the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing and comparing the practices of etiquette for visiting friends in America and abroad.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing an area in America or abroad that is naturally beautiful or an important part of nature. Be sure to address:
1 - Any threats to the area.
2 - Why the area should be preserved or protected.
3 - Any features that make the area unique or interesting.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about a person of historical significance and compare their philosophies and ideals to that of Thoreau. Be sure to address:
1 - Views on materialism and lifestyle.
2 - Whether or not this person "lived" their own philosophy.
3 - The importance of this person in history and impact upon cultures.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)