|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of bird does Thoreau watch for hours in the fall?
2. What does Thoreau compare to pearls and crystals?
3. According to tales, who planted the beech grove?
4. What does one hunter use as a musical instrument?
5. In what state is Walden Pond located?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau describe the condition of the hut that John Field's family lives in?
2. How does Thoreau feel after he witnesses the ants battling?
3. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
4. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
5. What does Thoreau say we should practice moderation in?
6. How does Thoreau build a store of food for winter?
7. Why does Thoreau 'visit' particular trees?
8. How does Thoreau say Walden Pond got its revenge on the men who were harvesting the ice?
9. Who is the poet with whom Thoreau has a conversation at the beginning of the chapter?
10. What game does Thoreau play with the loon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the benefits/drawbacks of the Industrial Revolution. Be sure to address:
1 - Key inventions that allowed society to progress.
2 - Some of the issues and drawbacks of the revolution.
3 - What the world would be like if the Industrial Revolution had never occurred.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing Thoreau's description of winter with that of another author in another book. How are their views of the season similar/different? Who do you relate to more? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining the individual's responsibility for philanthropy and charity. Be sure to address the following:
1 - Is humankind basically selfish or altruistic?
2 - What responsibilities are required of charitable organizations?
3 - Any charitable causes about which you feel strongly.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)