|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bird does Thoreau contemplate keeping merely for his music?
2. What does Thoreau state was a pleasant pastime?
3. What does Thoreau wage a war with in his bean-field?
4. "In dealing with truth we are..."
5. Thoreau states that fewer people came to see him at Walden Pond on...
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau feel about walking home from town late at night in the dark?
2. How does Thoreau describe the piece of land he lives on?
3. How does Thoreau feel about taking life lessons from books?
4. Why does Thoreau love owls?
5. What effect did Thoreau's isolation have on his social life?
6. How does Thoreau clean his house?
7. What does Thoreau believe will happen if general American society begins supporting education?
8. How does Thoreau compare the people in the village to muskrats?
9. What does it mean to "live deliberately"?
10. How does Thoreau explain his relationship with his beans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing an area in America or abroad that is naturally beautiful or an important part of nature. Be sure to address:
1 - Any threats to the area.
2 - Why the area should be preserved or protected.
3 - Any features that make the area unique or interesting.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about an animal of your choice. Explain its habitat, diet and physical characteristics. How does it interact with other animals? What impact does it have on human life?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining the pros and cons of living an isolated life. In what situations is it considered beneficial to be solitary, such as during meditation? In what situations is being isolated considered a punishment, such as during solitary confinement? Why does solitude have such different effects in certain situations?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)