Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "We are underbred and low-lived and..."
2. Which bird does Thoreau doubt has ever profaned Walden Pond?
3. "The adventurous student will always study..."
4. "Walden is a perfect forest mirror" in which season?
5. What animals ate out of the hands of the woodsman?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau build a store of food for winter?
2. What effect does Thoreau claim nature has on man?
3. Why does Thoreau think that there would be no stealing if everyone lived the same way he did?
4. How does Thoreau feel after he witnesses the ants battling?
5. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
6. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
7. Why does Thoreau despise the railway?
8. What effect did Thoreau's isolation have on his social life?
9. What is Thoreau's theory about entertaining visitors?
10. Who was Brister Freeman?
Essay Topic 1
Choose any poem written about springtime. Write an essay about that poem, explaining the imagery and the author's point of view.
Essay Topic 2
If you tried to carry out Thoreau's experiment today, would it be possible? Why or why not? Write an essay explaining how our modern society can prevent us from living such a simplified lifestyle. Be sure to include any modern inventions that would actually assist a minimalist lifestyle.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the history of Concord. Be sure to address:
1 - When the town was founded
2 - Key figures in the development of the town and surrounding area.
3 - Significant events that shaped and impacted the community.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)