|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which animal is one of "Nature's Watchmen"?
2. Who carried the Iliad with him on his expeditions?
3. What time does Thoreau begin hoeing every day?
4. What animal's sound ushers in the night?
5. Who does Thoreau help toward the north star?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau describe the development of his relationship with the forest and Walden Pond?
2. How does Thoreau feel about taking life lessons from books?
3. How does Thoreau say he became more intimate with his beans?
4. Why does Thoreau admire the French Canadian woodchopper?
5. How does Thoreau clean his house?
6. What effect does Thoreau claim nature has on man?
7. What benefits does Thoreau say he gains from simplifying his existence?
8. Why does Thoreau love owls?
9. What does it mean to "live deliberately"?
10. Does Thoreau believe this is a practical way that everyone can live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing an area in America or abroad that is naturally beautiful or an important part of nature. Be sure to address:
1 - Any threats to the area.
2 - Why the area should be preserved or protected.
3 - Any features that make the area unique or interesting.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay expressing your opinion on hunting. Be sure to address:
1 - Hunting for sport vs hunting for food.
2 - Any existing arguments for or against hunting.
3 - The state of hunting laws in your area.
4 - Any recommendations you have.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining the societal benefits of education. Are highly educated people made noble by their knowledge? How is the world improved when general education requirements are created by the government?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)