|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Thoreau believe intellectual societies are confined?
2. Thoreau hates the name of what local pond ?
3. How long does Thoreau live at Walden Pond?
4. What does Thoreau frequently do on warm evenings?
5. Thoreau states his residence at Walden was more favorable to thought and serious reading than what institution?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau state that his midnight fishing excursions were memorable and valuable?
2. What suggestions does Thoreau make to improve the state of culture in Concord?
3. What does Thoreau think is a 'surprising and memorable experience,' and why?
4. What effect does Thoreau claim nature has on man?
5. How does Thoreau feel about taking life lessons from books?
6. How does Thoreau compare men to the stars and planets?
7. How does Thoreau compare the people in the village to muskrats?
8. How does Thoreau bond with the old fisherman?
9. Why does Thoreau decide to live such an isolated life at Walden Pond?
10. Why is Thoreau so unhappy with the state of culture in Concord?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about an aspect of Global Warming. How is it caused? What are the potential consequences? What can be done to change this process?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing and comparing the practices of etiquette for visiting friends in America and abroad.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about an animal of your choice. Explain its habitat, diet and physical characteristics. How does it interact with other animals? What impact does it have on human life?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)