|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Thoreau reject the suggestion of owning a visitor's book?
2. What kind of fish does Thoreau try to catch in the winter?
3. What did Thoreau imagine doing?
4. Who is never alone?
5. What does Thoreau see in the clear water of the pond one November day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau believe that people should read the classics?
2. How does Thoreau say he became more intimate with his beans?
3. What benefits does Thoreau say he gains from simplifying his existence?
4. Why does Thoreau despise the railway?
5. How does Thoreau compare the people in the village to muskrats?
6. What does Thoreau think is a 'surprising and memorable experience,' and why?
7. Why does Thoreau hate the name 'Flint's Pond'?
8. What does Thoreau mean when he says "The whole body is one sense"?
9. What effect does Thoreau claim nature has on man?
10. What suggestions does Thoreau make to improve the state of culture in Concord?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the process of food production. Where does our food come from? How does it get from the farm to the table? How much of our diet is grown locally and how much is grown internationally? How can our food production system be improved?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay expressing your opinion on hunting. Be sure to address:
1 - Hunting for sport vs hunting for food.
2 - Any existing arguments for or against hunting.
3 - The state of hunting laws in your area.
4 - Any recommendations you have.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the history of Concord. Be sure to address:
1 - When the town was founded
2 - Key figures in the development of the town and surrounding area.
3 - Significant events that shaped and impacted the community.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)