|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thoreau hear in the evening?
2. "The swiftest traveler is he that goes..."
3. In total, how much does it cost for Thoreau to build his house?
4. Why does Thoreau reject the suggestion of owning a visitor's book?
5. What book does Thoreau keep on his table throughout the summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau explain his relationship with his beans?
2. Why does Thoreau believe that Huckleberries lose their flavor before they go to market?
3. How does Thoreau say he became more intimate with his beans?
4. Why does Thoreau think that there would be no stealing if everyone lived the same way he did?
5. How does Thoreau feel about walking home from town late at night in the dark?
6. What does it mean to "live deliberately"?
7. Why is Thoreau so unhappy with the state of culture in Concord?
8. Why does Thoreau love owls?
9. What kind of 'music' does Thoreau make while hoeing the bean-field?
10. What suggestions does Thoreau make to improve the state of culture in Concord?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay recounting the history of your area. When was your town/city founded? Who were the people instrumental in shaping the development of the area? What were the significant events that affected your town/city?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the process of food production. Where does our food come from? How does it get from the farm to the table? How much of our diet is grown locally and how much is grown internationally? How can our food production system be improved?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining the impact Walden had on one of the following: Literature, art, psychology and philosophy.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)