|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of fish does Thoreau try to catch in the winter?
2. What does Thoreau see in the clear water of the pond one November day?
3. Who is never alone?
4. How much is Thoreau's profit from the bean-field?
5. "The true husbandman will cease from..."
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau feel about walking home from town late at night in the dark?
2. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
3. How does Thoreau describe his encounters with cats in the forest?
4. What did Thoreau use as an excuse to carry a gun?
5. What kind of 'music' does Thoreau make while hoeing the bean-field?
6. Why does Thoreau state that his midnight fishing excursions were memorable and valuable?
7. What does Thoreau mean when he says "The whole body is one sense"?
8. Why does Thoreau leave Walden Pond?
9. How does Thoreau compare men to the stars and planets?
10. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay recounting the history of your area. When was your town/city founded? Who were the people instrumental in shaping the development of the area? What were the significant events that affected your town/city?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining the societal benefits of education. Are highly educated people made noble by their knowledge? How is the world improved when general education requirements are created by the government?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about an animal of your choice. Explain its habitat, diet and physical characteristics. How does it interact with other animals? What impact does it have on human life?
This section contains 1,562 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)