|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what do Thoreau's visitors often ask him?
2. Thoreau speaks of visitors from what charitable institution?
3. What did Thoreau do during his first summer at Walden Pond?
4. What did Thoreau do early in the morning?
5. What does Thoreau uncover as he hoes the bean-field?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau believe that people should read the classics?
2. Why does Thoreau admire the French Canadian woodchopper?
3. What effect does Thoreau claim nature has on man?
4. What effect did Thoreau's isolation have on his social life?
5. How does Thoreau describe the development of his relationship with the forest and Walden Pond?
6. What kind of 'music' does Thoreau make while hoeing the bean-field?
7. How does Thoreau describe Time?
8. How does Thoreau explain his relationship with his beans?
9. What does Thoreau mean when he says "The whole body is one sense"?
10. What does Thoreau think is a 'surprising and memorable experience,' and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the history of Concord. Be sure to address:
1 - When the town was founded
2 - Key figures in the development of the town and surrounding area.
3 - Significant events that shaped and impacted the community.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about an aspect of Global Warming. How is it caused? What are the potential consequences? What can be done to change this process?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining the pros and cons of living an isolated life. In what situations is it considered beneficial to be solitary, such as during meditation? In what situations is being isolated considered a punishment, such as during solitary confinement? Why does solitude have such different effects in certain situations?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)