|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Thoreau keep on his table throughout the summer?
2. Who does Thoreau help toward the north star?
3. Thoreau states that fewer people came to see him at Walden Pond on...
4. What frequently notifies Thoreau of a passing traveler along the highway?
5. Where is Walden Pond located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau think that there would be no stealing if everyone lived the same way he did?
2. Why does Thoreau advocate living "free and uncommitted"?
3. What game does Thoreau play with the loon?
4. What benefits does Thoreau say he gains from simplifying his existence?
5. How does Thoreau describe the development of his relationship with the forest and Walden Pond?
6. What does Thoreau compare the spring melt with?
7. What suggestions does Thoreau make to improve the state of culture in Concord?
8. What reaction do the people of Concord have to Thoreau's lifestyle?
9. What does Thoreau think John Field's future holds?
10. How does Thoreau feel about taking life lessons from books?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing Thoreau's description of winter with that of another author in another book. How are their views of the season similar/different? Who do you relate to more? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the history of Concord. Be sure to address:
1 - When the town was founded
2 - Key figures in the development of the town and surrounding area.
3 - Significant events that shaped and impacted the community.
Essay Topic 3
Choose any poem written about springtime. Write an essay about that poem, explaining the imagery and the author's point of view.
This section contains 1,485 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)