|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thoreau speaks of visitors from what charitable institution?
2. What animals ate out of the hands of the woodsman?
3. "I wanted to live deeply and..."
4. "The village appeared to me a great..."
5. For what do Thoreau's visitors often ask him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Thoreau believe this is a practical way that everyone can live?
2. How does Thoreau describe the development of his relationship with the forest and Walden Pond?
3. Why does Thoreau believe that Huckleberries lose their flavor before they go to market?
4. Why does Thoreau advocate living "free and uncommitted"?
5. How does Thoreau feel about taking life lessons from books?
6. What suggestions does Thoreau make to improve the state of culture in Concord?
7. How does Thoreau describe Time?
8. What kind of 'music' does Thoreau make while hoeing the bean-field?
9. Why does Thoreau decide to live such an isolated life at Walden Pond?
10. How does Thoreau feel about walking home from town late at night in the dark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the history of Concord. Be sure to address:
1 - When the town was founded
2 - Key figures in the development of the town and surrounding area.
3 - Significant events that shaped and impacted the community.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay for or against vegetarianism. What are the impacts of your personal eating habits on your body, the environment, and the economy?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Thoreau's description of winter with that of another author in another book. How are their views of the season similar/different? Who do you relate to more? Why?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)