|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of bird does an old man tell Thoreau used to frequent the pond?
2. What is Thoreau's net income from his farm?
3. What do Thoreau's guests often do when they leave after dark?
4. What writer does the French Canadian Woodsman love?
5. What kind of fish is most abundant in Walden Pond?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reaction do the people of Concord have to Thoreau's lifestyle?
2. What does Thoreau believe will happen if general American society begins supporting education?
3. How does Thoreau describe the piece of land he lives on?
4. Why does Thoreau believe that Huckleberries lose their flavor before they go to market?
5. What effect does Thoreau claim nature has on man?
6. What does Thoreau think is a 'surprising and memorable experience,' and why?
7. How does Thoreau describe Time?
8. Why does Thoreau think that there would be no stealing if everyone lived the same way he did?
9. Why does Thoreau love owls?
10. How does Thoreau feel about taking life lessons from books?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about an aspect of Global Warming. How is it caused? What are the potential consequences? What can be done to change this process?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining the pros and cons of living an isolated life. In what situations is it considered beneficial to be solitary, such as during meditation? In what situations is being isolated considered a punishment, such as during solitary confinement? Why does solitude have such different effects in certain situations?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay for or against vegetarianism. What are the impacts of your personal eating habits on your body, the environment, and the economy?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)