|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Thoreau keep on his table throughout the summer?
2. What does Thoreau state men have lost when planting crops?
3. What fruit never reaches Boston?
4. How close is Thoreau's nearest neighbor?
5. What did Thoreau do early in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does Thoreau claim nature has on man?
2. Why does Thoreau think that there would be no stealing if everyone lived the same way he did?
3. How does Thoreau describe the piece of land he lives on?
4. How does Thoreau bond with the old fisherman?
5. How does Thoreau say he became more intimate with his beans?
6. What suggestions does Thoreau make to improve the state of culture in Concord?
7. Why does Thoreau decide to live such an isolated life at Walden Pond?
8. What story does Thoreau tell to illustrate his point?
9. How does Thoreau feel about walking home from town late at night in the dark?
10. What kind of 'music' does Thoreau make while hoeing the bean-field?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing the personal philosophies of another author involved in the Transcendentalist Movement with those belonging to Thoreau.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing and comparing the practices of etiquette for visiting friends in America and abroad.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Thoreau's description of winter with that of another author in another book. How are their views of the season similar/different? Who do you relate to more? Why?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)