|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what purpose does Thoreau believe most men have learned to read?
2. What does Thoreau hear from town in his bean-field on gala days?
3. What animal does Thoreau kill and eat after it ravages his bean-field?
4. What is Thoreau's shelter at Walden Pond?
5. What kind of fish does Thoreau try to catch in the winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau advocate living "free and uncommitted"?
2. How does Thoreau describe his encounters with cats in the forest?
3. What does Thoreau think John Field's future holds?
4. Why does Thoreau admire the French Canadian woodchopper?
5. What did the old man see when he was hunting ducks?
6. How does Thoreau compare men to the stars and planets?
7. Why does Thoreau hate the name 'Flint's Pond'?
8. What benefits does Thoreau say he gains from simplifying his existence?
9. What kind of 'music' does Thoreau make while hoeing the bean-field?
10. What is Thoreau's theory about entertaining visitors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the history of Concord. Be sure to address:
1 - When the town was founded
2 - Key figures in the development of the town and surrounding area.
3 - Significant events that shaped and impacted the community.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining the pros and cons of living an isolated life. In what situations is it considered beneficial to be solitary, such as during meditation? In what situations is being isolated considered a punishment, such as during solitary confinement? Why does solitude have such different effects in certain situations?
Essay Topic 3
If you tried to carry out Thoreau's experiment today, would it be possible? Why or why not? Write an essay explaining how our modern society can prevent us from living such a simplified lifestyle. Be sure to include any modern inventions that would actually assist a minimalist lifestyle.
This section contains 1,573 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)