|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Walden Pond located?
2. Why does Thoreau reject the suggestion of owning a visitor's book?
3. What does Thoreau like to have between himself and a conversation partner?
4. What does Thoreau see in the clear water of the pond one November day?
5. What does Thoreau usually carry back to Walden Pond from the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Thoreau tell to illustrate his point?
2. What effect does Thoreau claim nature has on man?
3. How does Thoreau say he became more intimate with his beans?
4. Why does Thoreau despise the railway?
5. What suggestions does Thoreau make to improve the state of culture in Concord?
6. How does Thoreau bond with the old fisherman?
7. Why is Thoreau so unhappy with the state of culture in Concord?
8. What does Thoreau mean when he says "The whole body is one sense"?
9. What kind of 'music' does Thoreau make while hoeing the bean-field?
10. Why does Thoreau decide to live such an isolated life at Walden Pond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing and comparing the practices of etiquette for visiting friends in America and abroad.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining the societal benefits of education. Are highly educated people made noble by their knowledge? How is the world improved when general education requirements are created by the government?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining the impact Walden had on one of the following: Literature, art, psychology and philosophy.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)