|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thoreau follow all the way into town?
2. What does Thoreau think Concord should become?
3. "Be it life or death, we crave only..."
4. What is Thoreau's net income from his farm?
5. Of what do the smells from the train remind Thoreau?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau decide to live such an isolated life at Walden Pond?
2. What reaction do the people of Concord have to Thoreau's lifestyle?
3. How does Thoreau feel about walking home from town late at night in the dark?
4. How does Thoreau compare men to the stars and planets?
5. What does it mean to "live deliberately"?
6. What effect does Thoreau claim nature has on man?
7. What story does Thoreau tell to illustrate his point?
8. Why does Thoreau think that there would be no stealing if everyone lived the same way he did?
9. How does Thoreau compare the people in the village to muskrats?
10. What effect did Thoreau's isolation have on his social life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing the personal philosophies of another author involved in the Transcendentalist Movement with those belonging to Thoreau.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the benefits/drawbacks of the Industrial Revolution. Be sure to address:
1 - Key inventions that allowed society to progress.
2 - Some of the issues and drawbacks of the revolution.
3 - What the world would be like if the Industrial Revolution had never occurred.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining the impact Walden had on one of the following: Literature, art, psychology and philosophy.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)