|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Thoreau kill and eat after it ravages his bean-field?
2. What was the name of the family Thoreau bought a farm from and then returned the ownership to them?
3. What item does Thoreau discover missing?
4. Which animal is one of "Nature's Watchmen"?
5. Thoreau states his residence at Walden was more favorable to thought and serious reading than what institution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of 'music' does Thoreau make while hoeing the bean-field?
2. What did Thoreau use as an excuse to carry a gun?
3. Why does Thoreau leave Walden Pond?
4. What reaction do the people of Concord have to Thoreau's lifestyle?
5. How does Thoreau explain his relationship with his beans?
6. What does Thoreau mean when he says "The whole body is one sense"?
7. Why does Thoreau advocate living "free and uncommitted"?
8. Why does Thoreau state that his midnight fishing excursions were memorable and valuable?
9. How does Thoreau feel after he witnesses the ants battling?
10. What does Thoreau compare the spring melt with?
Essay Topic 1
Choose any poem written about springtime. Write an essay about that poem, explaining the imagery and the author's point of view.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about an aspect of Global Warming. How is it caused? What are the potential consequences? What can be done to change this process?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing and comparing the practices of etiquette for visiting friends in America and abroad.
This section contains 1,554 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)