|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "As long as possible live free and..."
2. What did Thoreau do early in the morning?
3. What does Thoreau hear from town in his bean-field on gala days?
4. What kind of bird does an old man tell Thoreau used to frequent the pond?
5. What kind of fish does Thoreau try to catch in the winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau despise the railway?
2. What does Thoreau think is a 'surprising and memorable experience,' and why?
3. How does Thoreau know that visitors have dropped by while he is gone?
4. Why does Thoreau admire the French Canadian woodchopper?
5. What benefits does Thoreau say he gains from simplifying his existence?
6. How does Thoreau clean his house?
7. Why is Thoreau so unhappy with the state of culture in Concord?
8. How does Thoreau describe the development of his relationship with the forest and Walden Pond?
9. What reaction do the people of Concord have to Thoreau's lifestyle?
10. What does it mean to "live deliberately"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the benefits/drawbacks of the Industrial Revolution. Be sure to address:
1 - Key inventions that allowed society to progress.
2 - Some of the issues and drawbacks of the revolution.
3 - What the world would be like if the Industrial Revolution had never occurred.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the history of Concord. Be sure to address:
1 - When the town was founded
2 - Key figures in the development of the town and surrounding area.
3 - Significant events that shaped and impacted the community.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining the impact Walden had on one of the following: Literature, art, psychology and philosophy.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)