Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "We are underbred and low-lived and..."
2. Which bird does Thoreau doubt has ever profaned Walden Pond?
3. "The adventurous student will always study..."
4. "Walden is a perfect forest mirror" in which season?
5. What animals ate out of the hands of the woodsman?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau build a store of food for winter?
2. What effect does Thoreau claim nature has on man?
3. Why does Thoreau think that there would be no stealing if everyone lived the same way he did?
4. How does Thoreau feel after he witnesses the ants battling?
5. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
6. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
7. Why does Thoreau despise the railway?
8. What effect did Thoreau's isolation have on his social life?
9. What is Thoreau's theory about entertaining visitors?
10. Who was Brister Freeman?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining the pros and cons of living an isolated life. In what situations is it considered beneficial to be solitary, such as during meditation? In what situations is being isolated considered a punishment, such as during solitary confinement? Why does solitude have such different effects in certain situations?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing and comparing the practices of etiquette for visiting friends in America and abroad.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining the individual's responsibility for philanthropy and charity. Be sure to address the following:
1 - Is humankind basically selfish or altruistic?
2 - What responsibilities are required of charitable organizations?
3 - Any charitable causes about which you feel strongly.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)