|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fruit never reaches Boston?
2. How much is Thoreau's profit from the bean-field?
3. Thoreau states that fewer people came to see him at Walden Pond on...
4. How close is Thoreau's nearest neighbor?
5. What is the name of the Plymouth Colony governor who wasn't fed by the king of the tribe he visited?
Short Essay Questions
1. What benefits does Thoreau say he gains from simplifying his existence?
2. How does Thoreau compare men to the stars and planets?
3. What reaction do the people of Concord have to Thoreau's lifestyle?
4. Does Thoreau believe this is a practical way that everyone can live?
5. What kind of 'music' does Thoreau make while hoeing the bean-field?
6. What effect does Thoreau claim nature has on man?
7. What effect did Thoreau's isolation have on his social life?
8. What suggestions does Thoreau make to improve the state of culture in Concord?
9. Why does Thoreau admire the French Canadian woodchopper?
10. Why does Thoreau hate the name 'Flint's Pond'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining the pros and cons of living an isolated life. In what situations is it considered beneficial to be solitary, such as during meditation? In what situations is being isolated considered a punishment, such as during solitary confinement? Why does solitude have such different effects in certain situations?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing Thoreau's description of winter with that of another author in another book. How are their views of the season similar/different? Who do you relate to more? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Choose any poem written about springtime. Write an essay about that poem, explaining the imagery and the author's point of view.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)