|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the necessities of life?
2. What does Thoreau state men have lost when planting crops?
3. What does Thoreau frequently do on warm evenings?
4. What does Thoreau hear from town in his bean-field on gala days?
5. In terms of the bean-field, what was Thoreau's greatest enemy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau state that his midnight fishing excursions were memorable and valuable?
2. Why does Thoreau advocate living "free and uncommitted"?
3. Why does Thoreau love owls?
4. How does Thoreau compare men to the stars and planets?
5. Why does Thoreau leave Walden Pond?
6. What does Thoreau think John Field's future holds?
7. What is Thoreau's theory about entertaining visitors?
8. How does Thoreau build a store of food for winter?
9. What effect does Thoreau claim nature has on man?
10. How does Thoreau explain his relationship with his beans?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about a person of historical significance and compare their philosophies and ideals to that of Thoreau. Be sure to address:
1 - Views on materialism and lifestyle.
2 - Whether or not this person "lived" their own philosophy.
3 - The importance of this person in history and impact upon cultures.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay expressing your opinion on hunting. Be sure to address:
1 - Hunting for sport vs hunting for food.
2 - Any existing arguments for or against hunting.
3 - The state of hunting laws in your area.
4 - Any recommendations you have.
Essay Topic 3
Choose any poem written about springtime. Write an essay about that poem, explaining the imagery and the author's point of view.
This section contains 1,530 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)