|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The village appeared to me a great..."
2. What does Thoreau wage a war with in his bean-field?
3. What animal's sound ushers in the night?
4. In total, how much does it cost for Thoreau to build his house?
5. What kind of fish does Thoreau try to catch in the winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau know that visitors have dropped by while he is gone?
2. How does Thoreau feel about walking home from town late at night in the dark?
3. Why does Thoreau despise the railway?
4. How does Thoreau describe the piece of land he lives on?
5. Why does Thoreau think that there would be no stealing if everyone lived the same way he did?
6. How does Thoreau explain his relationship with his beans?
7. Why does Thoreau believe that people should read the classics?
8. What does Thoreau believe will happen if general American society begins supporting education?
9. How does Thoreau feel about taking life lessons from books?
10. What effect does Thoreau claim nature has on man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about an animal of your choice. Explain its habitat, diet and physical characteristics. How does it interact with other animals? What impact does it have on human life?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining the opportunities and hardships immigrants faced in the United States in the 19th century. Do present-day immigrants have better opportunities now? What is the American dream, and is it possible to achieve it?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the history of Concord. Be sure to address:
1 - When the town was founded
2 - Key figures in the development of the town and surrounding area.
3 - Significant events that shaped and impacted the community.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)