|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thoreau wage a war with in his bean-field?
2. For what do Thoreau's visitors often ask him?
3. What fruit never reaches Boston?
4. How much is Thoreau's profit from the bean-field?
5. In terms of the bean-field, what was Thoreau's greatest enemy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Thoreau tell to illustrate his point?
2. Why does Thoreau despise the railway?
3. What kind of 'music' does Thoreau make while hoeing the bean-field?
4. Why does Thoreau admire the French Canadian woodchopper?
5. What is Thoreau's theory about entertaining visitors?
6. What does Thoreau believe will happen if general American society begins supporting education?
7. How does Thoreau compare men to the stars and planets?
8. How does Thoreau compare the people in the village to muskrats?
9. Why does Thoreau think that there would be no stealing if everyone lived the same way he did?
10. How does Thoreau describe the development of his relationship with the forest and Walden Pond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose any poem written about springtime. Write an essay about that poem, explaining the imagery and the author's point of view.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining the opportunities and hardships immigrants faced in the United States in the 19th century. Do present-day immigrants have better opportunities now? What is the American dream, and is it possible to achieve it?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay recounting the history of your area. When was your town/city founded? Who were the people instrumental in shaping the development of the area? What were the significant events that affected your town/city?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)