|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Thoreau reject the suggestion of owning a visitor's book?
2. What does Thoreau see in the clear water of the pond one November day?
3. What writer does the French Canadian Woodsman love?
4. What animals ate out of the hands of the woodsman?
5. What animal's sound ushers in the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau compare men to the stars and planets?
2. How does Thoreau describe the piece of land he lives on?
3. How does Thoreau feel about taking life lessons from books?
4. What story does Thoreau tell to illustrate his point?
5. How does Thoreau feel about walking home from town late at night in the dark?
6. Why does Thoreau despise the railway?
7. Why does Thoreau believe that people should read the classics?
8. How does Thoreau compare the people in the village to muskrats?
9. What kind of 'music' does Thoreau make while hoeing the bean-field?
10. What does Thoreau believe will happen if general American society begins supporting education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing Thoreau's description of winter with that of another author in another book. How are their views of the season similar/different? Who do you relate to more? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining the pros and cons of living an isolated life. In what situations is it considered beneficial to be solitary, such as during meditation? In what situations is being isolated considered a punishment, such as during solitary confinement? Why does solitude have such different effects in certain situations?
Essay Topic 3
If you tried to carry out Thoreau's experiment today, would it be possible? Why or why not? Write an essay explaining how our modern society can prevent us from living such a simplified lifestyle. Be sure to include any modern inventions that would actually assist a minimalist lifestyle.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)