|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "We are underbred and low-lived and..."
2. Which bird does Thoreau doubt has ever profaned Walden Pond?
3. "The adventurous student will always study..."
4. "Walden is a perfect forest mirror" in which season?
5. What animals ate out of the hands of the woodsman?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau build a store of food for winter?
2. What effect does Thoreau claim nature has on man?
3. Why does Thoreau think that there would be no stealing if everyone lived the same way he did?
4. How does Thoreau feel after he witnesses the ants battling?
5. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
6. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
7. Why does Thoreau despise the railway?
8. What effect did Thoreau's isolation have on his social life?
9. What is Thoreau's theory about entertaining visitors?
10. Who was Brister Freeman?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about a person of historical significance and compare their philosophies and ideals to that of Thoreau. Be sure to address:
1 - Views on materialism and lifestyle.
2 - Whether or not this person "lived" their own philosophy.
3 - The importance of this person in history and impact upon cultures.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the benefits/drawbacks of the Industrial Revolution. Be sure to address:
1 - Key inventions that allowed society to progress.
2 - Some of the issues and drawbacks of the revolution.
3 - What the world would be like if the Industrial Revolution had never occurred.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining the impact Walden had on one of the following: Literature, art, psychology and philosophy.
This section contains 1,474 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)