|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some of Thoreau's pleasantest hours are spent during this kind of weather:
2. What animal does Thoreau kill and eat after it ravages his bean-field?
3. What did Thoreau do during his first summer at Walden Pond?
4. What does Thoreau follow all the way into town?
5. What was the name of the family Thoreau bought a farm from and then returned the ownership to them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thoreau mean when he says "The whole body is one sense"?
2. What benefits does Thoreau say he gains from simplifying his existence?
3. What effect did Thoreau's isolation have on his social life?
4. How does Thoreau describe Time?
5. How does Thoreau clean his house?
6. How does Thoreau bond with the old fisherman?
7. How does Thoreau describe the piece of land he lives on?
8. Why does Thoreau admire the French Canadian woodchopper?
9. What story does Thoreau tell to illustrate his point?
10. What effect does Thoreau claim nature has on man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing and comparing the practices of etiquette for visiting friends in America and abroad.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about an animal of your choice. Explain its habitat, diet and physical characteristics. How does it interact with other animals? What impact does it have on human life?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay for or against vegetarianism. What are the impacts of your personal eating habits on your body, the environment, and the economy?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)