|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Thoreau meet when taking shelter from a thunder storm?
(a) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(b) John Field and his family.
(c) The governor of Massachusetts.
(d) His school teacher.
2. What creatures do Thoreau find battling in the wood-pile?
3. How long do the workmen take to harvest the ice of the pond?
(a) Sixteen days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Eighteen days.
(d) Three days.
4. Which tribe calls hunters the "best men"?
(a) The Iroquois.
(b) The Mohawks.
(c) The Cree.
(d) The Algonquins.
5. What caused John Farmer to contemplate his life?
(a) The sound of a flute.
(b) The night sky.
(c) Thoreau's philosophy.
(d) The Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. "He that does not eat need not..."
2. According to tales, who planted the beech grove?
3. What does Thoreau sell before he moves into the woods?
4. To what does Thoreau compare his body?
5. What does one hunter use as a musical instrument?
This section contains 171 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)