|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was it rumored that Col. Quoil had been a soldier?
(a) Upper Canada.
(c) New Orleans.
(d) Hong Kong.
2. What kind of bird does Thoreau watch for hours in the fall?
3. What does one hunter use as a musical instrument?
(c) A tree leaf.
(d) A saw.
4. In a battle recorded by Olus Magnus, what do the victorious ants do?
(a) Form a circle around their dead enemies.
(b) Enslave the young of their enemy hive.
(c) Eat the bodies of their dead enemies.
(d) Bury the bodies of their own soldiers.
5. What does Thoreau say he chanced upon one day?
(a) An eclipse.
(b) Buried treasure.
(c) The end of a rainbow.
(d) A family of deer.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what solitary amusements do most Yankees engage?
2. What does Thoreau do when ice first forms on the pond?
3. What vegetable does Thoreau chiefly grow at Walden Pond?
4. Who does Thoreau meet when taking shelter from a thunder storm?
5. What does Thoreau sell before he moves into the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau build a store of food for winter?
2. What do the hunters say is the downfall of the fox in the foxhunt?
3. What does Thoreau say we should practice moderation in?
4. How does Thoreau describe the condition of the hut that John Field's family lives in?
5. Why does Thoreau 'visit' particular trees?
6. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
7. Why does Thoreau throw sweet corn on the snow by his door?
8. What did the old man see when he was hunting ducks?
9. What does Thoreau compare the spring melt with?
10. How does Thoreau describe his encounters with cats in the forest?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)