|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word doesn't Thoreau use to describe John Field?
2. What does Thoreau say he chanced upon one day?
(a) A family of deer.
(b) Buried treasure.
(c) The end of a rainbow.
(d) An eclipse.
3. Which tribe calls hunters the "best men"?
(a) The Cree.
(b) The Mohawks.
(c) The Algonquins.
(d) The Iroquois.
4. What caused John Farmer to contemplate his life?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The night sky.
(c) Thoreau's philosophy.
(d) The sound of a flute.
5. What happens when Thoreau goes fishing?
(a) He has less self-respect.
(b) He feels pride.
(c) He mourns the death of the fish.
(d) He is at peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one hunter use as a musical instrument?
2. Which animals get under Thoreau's house as spring beings?
3. What does Thoreau sell before he moves into the woods?
4. For what does San Nutting exchange bear skins?
5. What animal does Thoreau want to eat when it crosses his path?
Short Essay Questions
1. What game does Thoreau play with the loon?
2. What are the two paths that Thoreau finds himself drawn to?
3. How does Thoreau say Walden Pond got its revenge on the men who were harvesting the ice?
4. What does Thoreau say we should practice moderation in?
5. How does Thoreau build a store of food for winter?
6. Why does Thoreau leave Walden Pond?
7. What does Thoreau compare the spring melt with?
8. What does Thoreau think John Field's future holds?
9. What do the hunters say is the downfall of the fox in the foxhunt?
10. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)