|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does one hunter use as a musical instrument?
(a) A saw.
(b) A tree leaf.
2. What instrument does Thoreau use to watch the war more closely?
(a) A monocle.
(b) A magnifying glass.
(c) A telescope.
(d) A microscope.
3. In what solitary amusements do most Yankees engage?
(a) Skiing and swimming.
(b) Walking and hiking.
(c) Hunting and Fishing.
(d) Reading and playing cards.
4. Where was it rumored that Col. Quoil had been a soldier?
(a) Hong Kong.
(c) New Orleans.
(d) Upper Canada.
5. What does Thoreau compare to pearls and crystals?
Short Answer Questions
1. "He that does not eat need not..."
2. What do people come from town to take from Walden Pond?
3. To what does Thoreau compare his body?
4. What does Thoreau do when ice first forms on the pond?
5. In a battle recorded by Olus Magnus, what do the victorious ants do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
2. What game does Thoreau play with the loon?
3. How does Thoreau build a store of food for winter?
4. Why does Thoreau 'visit' particular trees?
5. What does Thoreau say about Zilpha's life?
6. What does Thoreau think John Field's future holds?
7. What does Thoreau learn from his experiment?
8. What do the hunters say is the downfall of the fox in the foxhunt?
9. What are the two paths that Thoreau finds himself drawn to?
10. How does Thoreau say Walden Pond got its revenge on the men who were harvesting the ice?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)