|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thoreau is inclined to be a...
2. What bird does Thoreau hear almost every day in the winter?
(a) An owl.
(b) A goose.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A duck.
3. What does Thoreau hope will happen if John Field reads his book?
(a) He will improve himself.
(b) He will learn how to fish.
(c) He will move to a different town.
(d) He will come over for dinner.
4. What does Thoreau do when ice first forms on the pond?
(a) He goes skating.
(b) He writes a poem about it.
(c) He lies on the ice and examines the bottom of the pond.
(d) He goes ice fishing.
5. How long do the workmen take to harvest the ice of the pond?
(a) Sixteen days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Eighteen days.
(d) Two weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal was Thoreau surprised to see walking along the shore of the pond?
2. What caused John Farmer to contemplate his life?
3. What feeling does spring create in men?
4. What winter bird does Thoreau amuse himself by watching?
5. What animal does Thoreau want to eat when it crosses his path?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau's self-respect fall when he goes fishing?
2. How does Thoreau build a store of food for winter?
3. What do the hunters say is the downfall of the fox in the foxhunt?
4. Why does Thoreau 'visit' particular trees?
5. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
6. Who is the poet with whom Thoreau has a conversation at the beginning of the chapter?
7. Why does Thoreau throw sweet corn on the snow by his door?
8. What does Thoreau compare the spring melt with?
9. How does Thoreau feel after he witnesses the ants battling?
10. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)