|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thoreau do when ice first forms on the pond?
(a) He writes a poem about it.
(b) He goes skating.
(c) He lies on the ice and examines the bottom of the pond.
(d) He goes ice fishing.
2. According to tales, who planted the beech grove?
(d) A wandering minstrel.
3. Who or what does Thoreau visit?
4. How does Thoreau describe the temperature when he began to plaster his house?
5. How is Walden Pond described by the locals?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Thoreau consider living before Walden Pond?
2. "We can never have enough of..."
3. What animals are likely to thrive no matter what?
4. What is the destiny of the human race?
5. In what state is Walden Pond located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thoreau say we should practice moderation in?
2. How does Thoreau describe the condition of the hut that John Field's family lives in?
3. How does Thoreau say Walden Pond got its revenge on the men who were harvesting the ice?
4. Who is the poet with whom Thoreau has a conversation at the beginning of the chapter?
5. What did Thoreau use as an excuse to carry a gun?
6. Why does Thoreau throw sweet corn on the snow by his door?
7. Who was Brister Freeman?
8. What does Thoreau think John Field's future holds?
9. What does Thoreau say about Zilpha's life?
10. What did the old man see when he was hunting ducks?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)