|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do people come from town to take from Walden Pond?
(d) Aquatic plants.
2. What is the destiny of the human race?
(a) To advance technologically.
(b) To become more enlightened.
(c) To read Thoreau's writing.
(d) To become vegetarians.
3. What does Thoreau sometimes dream of owning?
(a) A gun.
(b) A horse.
(c) A library.
(d) A large house.
4. What happened to a settler's family in Sutton in 1717?
(a) Their house burned down.
(b) Their cottage was completely buried in snow.
(c) They couldn't pay their taxes and were forced to move.
(d) They were forced off their land by a flood.
5. What does Thoreau sell before he moves into the woods?
(a) His horse.
(b) His gun.
(c) His watch.
(d) His books.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state is Walden Pond located?
2. What does Thoreau have difficulty finding in the winter?
3. What does Thoreau do to pass the time on winter evenings?
4. What caused John Farmer to contemplate his life?
5. What animal was Thoreau surprised to see walking along the shore of the pond?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thoreau learn from his experiment?
2. Why does Thoreau throw sweet corn on the snow by his door?
3. What does Thoreau say we should practice moderation in?
4. Who was Brister Freeman?
5. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
6. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
7. Why does Thoreau admire the 'wild men' who go ice-fishing on Walden Pond?
8. What game does Thoreau play with the loon?
9. What does Thoreau compare the spring melt with?
10. Why does Thoreau 'visit' particular trees?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)