|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to a settler's family in Sutton in 1717?
(a) Their house burned down.
(b) They couldn't pay their taxes and were forced to move.
(c) They were forced off their land by a flood.
(d) Their cottage was completely buried in snow.
2. How does Thoreau describe the temperature when he began to plaster his house?
3. Which tribe calls hunters the "best men"?
(a) The Mohawks.
(b) The Algonquins.
(c) The Iroquois.
(d) The Cree.
4. What does Thoreau call his time at Walden Pond?
(a) A seclusion.
(b) A an exercise in futility.
(c) A lonely period.
(d) An experiment.
5. Where was it rumored that Col. Quoil had been a soldier?
(b) Upper Canada.
(c) New Orleans.
(d) Hong Kong.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of tree is two feet in diameter?
2. What color is the ice from Walden Pond?
3. What does Thoreau have difficulty finding in the winter?
4. What winter bird does Thoreau amuse himself by watching?
5. "We can never have enough of..."
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau build a store of food for winter?
2. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
3. Why does Thoreau leave Walden Pond?
4. What does Thoreau think John Field's future holds?
5. Why does Thoreau admire the 'wild men' who go ice-fishing on Walden Pond?
6. Why does Thoreau 'visit' particular trees?
7. Who is the poet with whom Thoreau has a conversation at the beginning of the chapter?
8. What game does Thoreau play with the loon?
9. Why does Thoreau's self-respect fall when he goes fishing?
10. What are the two paths that Thoreau finds himself drawn to?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)