|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What should we come home with after adventures?
(a) Experience and character.
(b) Knowledge and confidence.
(c) Wisdom and direction.
(d) Money and wealth.
2. In what solitary amusements do most Yankees engage?
(a) Hunting and Fishing.
(b) Walking and hiking.
(c) Skiing and swimming.
(d) Reading and playing cards.
3. What happened to Breed's hut?
(a) It was abandoned.
(b) A family of birds nested there.
(c) It was used as a wood shed.
(d) It burned down.
4. What does Thoreau call his time at Walden Pond?
(a) A an exercise in futility.
(b) An experiment.
(c) A lonely period.
(d) A seclusion.
5. What kind of tree is two feet in diameter?
(a) Yellow ash.
(b) Green oak.
(d) Black birch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the ice from Walden Pond?
2. What insect came to Walden Pond by thousands in October?
3. "Sell your clothes and keep your..."
4. How is Walden Pond described by the locals?
5. Who came the farthest to visit Thoreau in the winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the old man see when he was hunting ducks?
2. Why does Thoreau admire the 'wild men' who go ice-fishing on Walden Pond?
3. How does Thoreau describe the condition of the hut that John Field's family lives in?
4. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
5. Why does Thoreau leave Walden Pond?
6. What does Thoreau think John Field's future holds?
7. How does Thoreau describe his encounters with cats in the forest?
8. Why does Thoreau throw sweet corn on the snow by his door?
9. Who is the poet with whom Thoreau has a conversation at the beginning of the chapter?
10. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)