|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the poet say is the greatest thing he has seen today?
(a) The hermit's face.
(b) The forest.
(c) A book he was reading.
(d) The clouds.
2. What animal does Thoreau hear hunting with men?
3. What winter bird does Thoreau amuse himself by watching?
(a) A barred owl.
(b) A blue jay.
(c) A cardinal.
(d) A chickadee.
4. What should we come home with after adventures?
(a) Money and wealth.
(b) Knowledge and confidence.
(c) Wisdom and direction.
(d) Experience and character.
5. What kind of tree is two feet in diameter?
(a) Green oak.
(c) Yellow ash.
(d) Black birch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thoreau say he chanced upon one day?
2. What animals were inside the shelter with the Field family?
3. Where did Thoreau consider living before Walden Pond?
4. What does Thoreau do when ice first forms on the pond?
5. What does Thoreau hope will happen if John Field reads his book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau 'visit' particular trees?
2. How does Thoreau describe his encounters with cats in the forest?
3. How does Thoreau describe the condition of the hut that John Field's family lives in?
4. Who was Brister Freeman?
5. Why does Thoreau throw sweet corn on the snow by his door?
6. Why does Thoreau's self-respect fall when he goes fishing?
7. What are the two paths that Thoreau finds himself drawn to?
8. What does Thoreau say about Zilpha's life?
9. What do the hunters say is the downfall of the fox in the foxhunt?
10. What does Thoreau compare the spring melt with?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)