|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is John Field from?
(a) French Canada.
2. What animals were inside the shelter with the Field family?
3. What happens when Thoreau goes fishing?
(a) He mourns the death of the fish.
(b) He is at peace.
(c) He feels pride.
(d) He has less self-respect.
4. What should we come home with after adventures?
(a) Knowledge and confidence.
(b) Wisdom and direction.
(c) Experience and character.
(d) Money and wealth.
5. Which animals get under Thoreau's house as spring beings?
(b) Black squirrels.
(c) Red squirrels.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal grows to be four feet long, yet is rarely seen by humans?
2. "We can never have enough of..."
3. What vegetable does Thoreau chiefly grow at Walden Pond?
4. What does Thoreau do when ice first forms on the pond?
5. What creatures do Thoreau find battling in the wood-pile?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau's self-respect fall when he goes fishing?
2. Why does Thoreau leave Walden Pond?
3. What game does Thoreau play with the loon?
4. Who is the poet with whom Thoreau has a conversation at the beginning of the chapter?
5. What did Thoreau use as an excuse to carry a gun?
6. How does Thoreau say Walden Pond got its revenge on the men who were harvesting the ice?
7. Who was Brister Freeman?
8. How does Thoreau describe the condition of the hut that John Field's family lives in?
9. How does Thoreau build a store of food for winter?
10. Why does Thoreau throw sweet corn on the snow by his door?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)