|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Breed's hut?
(a) It was used as a wood shed.
(b) A family of birds nested there.
(c) It was abandoned.
(d) It burned down.
2. What kind of bird does Thoreau watch for hours in the fall?
3. What happened to a settler's family in Sutton in 1717?
(a) Their cottage was completely buried in snow.
(b) They couldn't pay their taxes and were forced to move.
(c) Their house burned down.
(d) They were forced off their land by a flood.
4. "If you would be chaste, you must be..."
5. What does Thoreau have difficulty finding in the winter?
(a) The path to town.
(d) Fire wood.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do the workmen take to harvest the ice of the pond?
2. Where did Thoreau consider living before Walden Pond?
3. On what day in 1852 was Walden first completely open?
4. What does Thoreau sell before he moves into the woods?
5. What creatures do Thoreau find battling in the wood-pile?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Brister Freeman?
2. What does Thoreau compare the spring melt with?
3. Why does Thoreau's self-respect fall when he goes fishing?
4. What did the old man see when he was hunting ducks?
5. What does Thoreau think John Field's future holds?
6. How does Thoreau describe his encounters with cats in the forest?
7. How does Thoreau build a store of food for winter?
8. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
9. What does Thoreau learn from his experiment?
10. Why does Thoreau throw sweet corn on the snow by his door?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)