|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "It is not worth the while to live by..."
(a) Bread alone.
(b) Eating meat.
(c) Rich cookery.
(d) Wine bottles.
2. What is the destiny of the human race?
(a) To become more enlightened.
(b) To become vegetarians.
(c) To read Thoreau's writing.
(d) To advance technologically.
3. "If you would be chaste, you must be..."
4. What kind of bird does Thoreau watch for hours in the fall?
5. In what solitary amusements do most Yankees engage?
(a) Walking and hiking.
(b) Hunting and Fishing.
(c) Reading and playing cards.
(d) Skiing and swimming.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Thoreau use to watch the war more closely?
2. What did Thoreau use during his second winter at Walden Pond?
3. What caused John Farmer to contemplate his life?
4. For what does San Nutting exchange bear skins?
5. What does Thoreau say he chanced upon one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau say Walden Pond got its revenge on the men who were harvesting the ice?
2. What game does Thoreau play with the loon?
3. Why does Thoreau admire the 'wild men' who go ice-fishing on Walden Pond?
4. Who is the poet with whom Thoreau has a conversation at the beginning of the chapter?
5. Who was Brister Freeman?
6. Why does Thoreau throw sweet corn on the snow by his door?
7. Why does Thoreau leave Walden Pond?
8. How does Thoreau build a store of food for winter?
9. Why does Thoreau's self-respect fall when he goes fishing?
10. Why does Thoreau 'visit' particular trees?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)