|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bird comes to the pond in the fall?
(a) The swan.
(b) The goose.
(c) The loon.
(d) The cardinal.
2. What does Thoreau say he chanced upon one day?
(a) A family of deer.
(b) The end of a rainbow.
(c) An eclipse.
(d) Buried treasure.
3. "He that does not eat need not..."
4. What is the destiny of the human race?
(a) To advance technologically.
(b) To become more enlightened.
(c) To read Thoreau's writing.
(d) To become vegetarians.
5. What do people come from town to take from Walden Pond?
(b) Aquatic plants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Thoreau use during his second winter at Walden Pond?
2. What animal does Thoreau describe as "rudimental, burrowing men"?
3. What happened to a settler's family in Sutton in 1717?
4. What creatures do Thoreau find battling in the wood-pile?
5. Which tribe calls hunters the "best men"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two paths that Thoreau finds himself drawn to?
2. What did the old man see when he was hunting ducks?
3. What does Thoreau say we should practice moderation in?
4. What does Thoreau say about Zilpha's life?
5. How does Thoreau feel after he witnesses the ants battling?
6. What game does Thoreau play with the loon?
7. Who was Brister Freeman?
8. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
9. What does Thoreau compare the spring melt with?
10. Who is the poet with whom Thoreau has a conversation at the beginning of the chapter?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)