|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does Thoreau hear hunting with men?
2. In a battle recorded by Olus Magnus, what do the victorious ants do?
(a) Bury the bodies of their own soldiers.
(b) Eat the bodies of their dead enemies.
(c) Enslave the young of their enemy hive.
(d) Form a circle around their dead enemies.
3. What does Thoreau say he chanced upon one day?
(a) A family of deer.
(b) An eclipse.
(c) The end of a rainbow.
(d) Buried treasure.
4. What happened to a settler's family in Sutton in 1717?
(a) They were forced off their land by a flood.
(b) Their house burned down.
(c) They couldn't pay their taxes and were forced to move.
(d) Their cottage was completely buried in snow.
5. What does one hunter use as a musical instrument?
(c) A saw.
(d) A tree leaf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of tree is two feet in diameter?
2. What vegetable does Thoreau chiefly grow at Walden Pond?
3. "He that does not eat need not..."
4. "Sell your clothes and keep your..."
5. According to tales, who planted the beech grove?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau throw sweet corn on the snow by his door?
2. What game does Thoreau play with the loon?
3. How does Thoreau describe his encounters with cats in the forest?
4. Who was Brister Freeman?
5. Why does Thoreau admire the 'wild men' who go ice-fishing on Walden Pond?
6. What does Thoreau think John Field's future holds?
7. What does Thoreau learn from his experiment?
8. What does Thoreau say about Zilpha's life?
9. How does Thoreau build a store of food for winter?
10. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)