|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who came the farthest to visit Thoreau in the winter?
(a) A reporter.
(b) A hunter.
(c) A poet.
(d) A farmer.
2. Who does Thoreau meet when taking shelter from a thunder storm?
(a) His school teacher.
(b) The governor of Massachusetts.
(c) John Field and his family.
(d) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
3. What feeling does spring create in men?
4. "It is not worth the while to live by..."
(a) Eating meat.
(b) Wine bottles.
(c) Rich cookery.
(d) Bread alone.
5. What word doesn't Thoreau use to describe John Field?
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal grows to be four feet long, yet is rarely seen by humans?
2. What does Thoreau say he chanced upon one day?
3. What does Thoreau sometimes dream of owning?
4. To what howling animal does Thoreau compare the loon?
5. What kind of animal does Thoreau find in his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the poet with whom Thoreau has a conversation at the beginning of the chapter?
2. Why does Thoreau leave Walden Pond?
3. What does Thoreau think John Field's future holds?
4. What are the two paths that Thoreau finds himself drawn to?
5. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
6. What does Thoreau say we should practice moderation in?
7. How does Thoreau describe his encounters with cats in the forest?
8. Why does Thoreau 'visit' particular trees?
9. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
10. What do the hunters say is the downfall of the fox in the foxhunt?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)