|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where have loons been caught with fishing hooks, eighty feet below the water's surface?
(c) New York.
2. To what howling animal does Thoreau compare the loon?
(a) A jackal.
(b) A wolf.
(c) A dog.
(d) A coyote.
3. What bird does Thoreau hear almost every day in the winter?
(a) A goose.
(b) A duck.
(c) An eagle.
(d) An owl.
4. What animal does Thoreau want to eat when it crosses his path?
(a) A squirrel.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A woodchuck.
(d) A duck.
5. For what does San Nutting exchange bear skins?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Breed's hut?
2. "It is not worth the while to live by..."
3. What animals were inside the shelter with the Field family?
4. What color is the ice from Walden Pond?
5. What date does Thoreau leave Walden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Thoreau use as an excuse to carry a gun?
2. What does Thoreau say we should practice moderation in?
3. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
4. What do the hunters say is the downfall of the fox in the foxhunt?
5. Who is the poet with whom Thoreau has a conversation at the beginning of the chapter?
6. Why does Thoreau admire the 'wild men' who go ice-fishing on Walden Pond?
7. How does Thoreau say Walden Pond got its revenge on the men who were harvesting the ice?
8. Why does Thoreau's self-respect fall when he goes fishing?
9. What are the two paths that Thoreau finds himself drawn to?
10. Who was Brister Freeman?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)