|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was it rumored that Col. Quoil had been a soldier?
(a) Hong Kong.
(b) New Orleans.
(d) Upper Canada.
2. What does Thoreau sell before he moves into the woods?
(a) His gun.
(b) His books.
(c) His horse.
(d) His watch.
3. What is the destiny of the human race?
(a) To advance technologically.
(b) To become more enlightened.
(c) To read Thoreau's writing.
(d) To become vegetarians.
4. What does Thoreau call his time at Walden Pond?
(a) A lonely period.
(b) A an exercise in futility.
(c) A seclusion.
(d) An experiment.
5. What winter bird does Thoreau amuse himself by watching?
(a) A blue jay.
(b) A cardinal.
(c) A chickadee.
(d) A barred owl.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Thoreau meet when taking shelter from a thunder storm?
2. What kind of bird does Thoreau watch for hours in the fall?
3. Who came the farthest to visit Thoreau in the winter?
4. What happened to a settler's family in Sutton in 1717?
5. Where did Thoreau consider living before Walden Pond?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau 'visit' particular trees?
2. What game does Thoreau play with the loon?
3. Why does Thoreau's self-respect fall when he goes fishing?
4. What does Thoreau learn from his experiment?
5. What does Thoreau say about Zilpha's life?
6. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
7. What did the old man see when he was hunting ducks?
8. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
9. What does Thoreau think John Field's future holds?
10. What does Thoreau say we should practice moderation in?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)