|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animals are likely to thrive no matter what?
(a) Squirrels and mice.
(b) Wolves and Coyotes.
(c) Rabbits and partridges.
(d) Foxes and Owls.
2. What animal was Thoreau surprised to see walking along the shore of the pond?
(a) A beaver.
(b) A dog.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A cat.
3. What insect came to Walden Pond by thousands in October?
4. In what solitary amusements do most Yankees engage?
(a) Hunting and Fishing.
(b) Reading and playing cards.
(c) Skiing and swimming.
(d) Walking and hiking.
5. What kind of animal does Thoreau find in his house?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the poet say is the greatest thing he has seen today?
2. What does Thoreau sell before he moves into the woods?
3. "He that does not eat need not..."
4. To what does Thoreau compare his body?
5. "We can never have enough of..."
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau leave Walden Pond?
2. What happened to the well on the Field's property?
3. How does Thoreau build a store of food for winter?
4. What does Thoreau learn from his experiment?
5. What does Thoreau compare the spring melt with?
6. What did Thoreau use as an excuse to carry a gun?
7. Who was Brister Freeman?
8. Why does Thoreau 'visit' particular trees?
9. How does Thoreau feel after he witnesses the ants battling?
10. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)