|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Walden Pond located?
(a) Concord, Massachusetts.
(b) Keswick, England.
(c) Albany, New York.
(d) Portland, Oregon.
2. Some of Thoreau's pleasantest hours are spent during this kind of weather:
(d) Sun showers.
3. "The true husbandman will cease from..."
4. For what purpose does Thoreau believe most men have learned to read?
5. What is the name of the Plymouth Colony governor who wasn't fed by the king of the tribe he visited?
Short Answer Questions
1. What vegetable does Thoreau plant on most of his 2 1/2 acres?
2. Why is Thoreau put in jail?
3. "I wanted to live deeply and..."
4. What bird does Thoreau contemplate keeping merely for his music?
5. Why does the Canadian woodchopper read the French paper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau state that his midnight fishing excursions were memorable and valuable?
2. How does Thoreau know that visitors have dropped by while he is gone?
3. How does Thoreau clean his house?
4. What effect did Thoreau's isolation have on his social life?
5. Why does Thoreau advocate living "free and uncommitted"?
6. What kind of 'music' does Thoreau make while hoeing the bean-field?
7. Does Thoreau believe this is a practical way that everyone can live?
8. Why does Thoreau believe that Huckleberries lose their flavor before they go to market?
9. Why does Thoreau think that there would be no stealing if everyone lived the same way he did?
10. Why does Thoreau despise the railway?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)