|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bird does Thoreau contemplate keeping merely for his music?
(a) A screech owl.
(b) A crow.
(c) A rooster.
(d) A canary.
2. "The village appeared to me a great..."
(a) News room.
3. What is the name of the Plymouth Colony governor who wasn't fed by the king of the tribe he visited?
4. "Nature has no human inhabitant who..."
(a) Appreciates her.
(b) Treats her well.
(c) Loves her.
(d) Respects her.
5. What are the necessities of life?
(a) Food, shelter, clothing, and sunlight.
(b) Food, shelter, clothing, and fuel.
(c) Food, shelter, land, and freedom.
(d) Love, happiness, family, and religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which book are most men satisfied by reading or having read to them?
2. What is the morning?
3. "The true husbandman will cease from..."
4. What was Thoreau doing in the village when he was arrested?
5. What does Thoreau wage a war with in his bean-field?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Thoreau so unhappy with the state of culture in Concord?
2. Why does Thoreau advocate living "free and uncommitted"?
3. How does Thoreau compare men to the stars and planets?
4. What does Thoreau mean when he says "The whole body is one sense"?
5. How does Thoreau feel about walking home from town late at night in the dark?
6. What benefits does Thoreau say he gains from simplifying his existence?
7. What reaction do the people of Concord have to Thoreau's lifestyle?
8. How does Thoreau know that visitors have dropped by while he is gone?
9. How does Thoreau say he became more intimate with his beans?
10. Why does Thoreau despise the railway?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)