|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what pond does Thoreau live on the shore?
(a) Catfish Pond.
(b) Concord Pond.
(c) Wiltshire Pond.
(d) Walden Pond.
2. What does Thoreau hope to avoid by harvesting early?
(b) Loss to animals.
3. How does Thoreau often find his way home in the dark?
(a) He uses a walking stick.
(b) He looks up at the opening between the trees above the path.
(c) He ties a rope along the path.
(d) He uses a torch.
4. What does Thoreau sometimes hear on Sundays?
(a) Families walking in the forest.
(b) Church bells.
(c) Organ music.
(d) Choirs singing.
5. What kind of fish is most abundant in Walden Pond?
Short Answer Questions
1. What attracted Thoreau to the farm?
2. "I am convinced, that if all men were to live as simply as I then did, ... would be unknown."
3. What is the name of the Plymouth Colony governor who wasn't fed by the king of the tribe he visited?
4. "The swiftest traveler is he that goes..."
5. In terms of the bean-field, what was Thoreau's greatest enemy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau believe that Huckleberries lose their flavor before they go to market?
2. How does Thoreau know that visitors have dropped by while he is gone?
3. What does it mean to "live deliberately"?
4. How does Thoreau clean his house?
5. What suggestions does Thoreau make to improve the state of culture in Concord?
6. How does Thoreau explain his relationship with his beans?
7. Why does Thoreau love owls?
8. Why is Thoreau so unhappy with the state of culture in Concord?
9. What benefits does Thoreau say he gains from simplifying his existence?
10. How does Thoreau describe the piece of land he lives on?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)