|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time does Thoreau begin hoeing every day?
(a) 6:00 AM.
(b) 8:00 AM.
(c) 5:00 AM.
(d) 7:00 AM.
2. Thoreau states his residence at Walden was more favorable to thought and serious reading than what institution?
(a) A university.
(b) A seminary.
(c) A library.
(d) A think tank.
3. "We are underbred and low-lived and..."
4. "I go and come with a strange... in Nature."
5. What was Thoreau doing in the village when he was arrested?
(a) Buying a newspaper.
(b) Selling beans.
(c) Having a drink at the bar-room.
(d) Picking up a shoe from the cobbler's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fruit never reaches Boston?
2. What did Thoreau imagine doing?
3. What is Thoreau's shelter at Walden Pond?
4. What bird does Thoreau contemplate keeping merely for his music?
5. What animals ate out of the hands of the woodsman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What benefits does Thoreau say he gains from simplifying his existence?
2. What does Thoreau believe will happen if general American society begins supporting education?
3. What effect does Thoreau claim nature has on man?
4. Why is Thoreau so unhappy with the state of culture in Concord?
5. Why does Thoreau believe that people should read the classics?
6. How does Thoreau describe the piece of land he lives on?
7. Why does Thoreau admire the French Canadian woodchopper?
8. What does Thoreau mean when he says "The whole body is one sense"?
9. Does Thoreau believe this is a practical way that everyone can live?
10. Why does Thoreau hate the name 'Flint's Pond'?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)