|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Thoreau begin to live in the woods?
(a) Memorial Day, 1847.
(b) Independence Day, 1845.
(c) Christmas Day, 1846.
(d) Martin Luther King Day, 1845.
2. On what pond does Thoreau live on the shore?
(a) Catfish Pond.
(b) Concord Pond.
(c) Wiltshire Pond.
(d) Walden Pond.
3. What writer does the French Canadian Woodsman love?
4. What does one Concord Trader use as a sign for his store?
(a) A salt fish.
(b) A bear hide.
(c) A Wooden plank.
(d) A Wagon Wheel.
5. Thoreau calls the train an "iron..."
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the necessities of life?
2. What kind of fish is most abundant in Walden Pond?
3. What is the name of the Plymouth Colony governor who wasn't fed by the king of the tribe he visited?
4. Which animal is one of "Nature's Watchmen"?
5. How long does Thoreau live at Walden Pond?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reaction do the people of Concord have to Thoreau's lifestyle?
2. What does it mean to "live deliberately"?
3. Why does Thoreau advocate living "free and uncommitted"?
4. What story does Thoreau tell to illustrate his point?
5. Why does Thoreau hate the name 'Flint's Pond'?
6. How does Thoreau describe the development of his relationship with the forest and Walden Pond?
7. How does Thoreau feel about taking life lessons from books?
8. Why is Thoreau so unhappy with the state of culture in Concord?
9. Why does Thoreau love owls?
10. What does Thoreau believe will happen if general American society begins supporting education?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)