|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Walden Pond located?
(a) Albany, New York.
(b) Concord, Massachusetts.
(c) Portland, Oregon.
(d) Keswick, England.
2. What animal's sound ushers in the night?
(a) The whip-poor-will's cry.
(b) The bullfrog's trump.
(c) The coyote's yelp.
(d) The hawk's scream.
3. What is Thoreau's net income from his farm?
4. "Objects of charity are not..."
5. What happened to Walden Pond between his childhood and the time he moved there?
(a) The trees on the shores were cut down.
(b) The spring dried up.
(c) A family of muskrats moved in.
(d) The fish were depopulated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bird does Thoreau contemplate keeping merely for his music?
2. What animals ate out of the hands of the woodsman?
3. "I go and come with a strange... in Nature."
4. Why is Thoreau put in jail?
5. "In dealing with truth we are..."
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau clean his house?
2. What is Thoreau's theory about entertaining visitors?
3. Why does Thoreau hate the name 'Flint's Pond'?
4. Why does Thoreau believe that Huckleberries lose their flavor before they go to market?
5. How does Thoreau know that visitors have dropped by while he is gone?
6. What suggestions does Thoreau make to improve the state of culture in Concord?
7. How does Thoreau feel about taking life lessons from books?
8. Why does Thoreau decide to live such an isolated life at Walden Pond?
9. How does Thoreau compare men to the stars and planets?
10. How does Thoreau describe the piece of land he lives on?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)