|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thoreau hope to avoid by harvesting early?
(b) Loss to animals.
2. In terms of the bean-field, what was Thoreau's greatest enemy?
3. What does Thoreau wage a war with in his bean-field?
(a) Small Animals.
4. "The adventurous student will always study..."
5. How much is Thoreau's profit from the bean-field?
Short Answer Questions
1. "The true husbandman will cease from..."
2. On what pond does Thoreau live on the shore?
3. Which book are most men satisfied by reading or having read to them?
4. What do Thoreau's guests often do when they leave after dark?
5. What does Thoreau like to have between himself and a conversation partner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect did Thoreau's isolation have on his social life?
2. Why does Thoreau advocate living "free and uncommitted"?
3. How does Thoreau describe the piece of land he lives on?
4. What suggestions does Thoreau make to improve the state of culture in Concord?
5. Why is Thoreau so unhappy with the state of culture in Concord?
6. Does Thoreau believe this is a practical way that everyone can live?
7. How does Thoreau describe the development of his relationship with the forest and Walden Pond?
8. What does it mean to "live deliberately"?
9. What effect does Thoreau claim nature has on man?
10. Why does Thoreau believe that Huckleberries lose their flavor before they go to market?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)