|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Thoreau doing in the village when he was arrested?
(a) Picking up a shoe from the cobbler's.
(b) Having a drink at the bar-room.
(c) Selling beans.
(d) Buying a newspaper.
2. "As long as possible live free and..."
3. In what does Thoreau claim to have indulged very little?
4. What is the length of Thoreau's bean rows added together?
(a) 800 yards.
(b) Seven miles.
(c) Five miles.
(d) Two miles.
5. On what pond does Thoreau live on the shore?
(a) Walden Pond.
(b) Wiltshire Pond.
(c) Concord Pond.
(d) Catfish Pond.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thoreau usually carry back to Walden Pond from the village?
2. What man-made device can Thoreau hear from his window?
3. What is Thoreau's shelter at Walden Pond?
4. Thoreau hates the name of what local pond ?
5. Who exerted an influence on mankind more than kings and emperors?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau know that visitors have dropped by while he is gone?
2. How does Thoreau compare the people in the village to muskrats?
3. How does Thoreau feel about taking life lessons from books?
4. What is Thoreau's theory about entertaining visitors?
5. Why does Thoreau believe that people should read the classics?
6. Why does Thoreau believe that Huckleberries lose their flavor before they go to market?
7. Why does Thoreau despise the railway?
8. Why does Thoreau love owls?
9. What does Thoreau think is a 'surprising and memorable experience,' and why?
10. Does Thoreau believe this is a practical way that everyone can live?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)