|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Thoreau began living in the woods, his "house was not finished, but was merely a defense against the..."
2. Who exerted an influence on mankind more than kings and emperors?
3. What does Thoreau uncover as he hoes the bean-field?
(a) Buried treasure.
(b) Native artifacts.
(c) Tree stumps.
(d) The remains of animals.
4. "I wanted to live deeply and..."
(a) Like each day was my last.
(b) Suck out all the marrow if life.
(c) Experience everything the world offered.
(d) To the fullest.
5. Thoreau hates the name of what local pond ?
(a) Fish Pond.
(b) Mill Pond.
(c) Flint's Pond.
(d) White Pond.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Plymouth Colony governor who wasn't fed by the king of the tribe he visited?
2. What does Thoreau state was a pleasant pastime?
3. In terms of the bean-field, what was Thoreau's greatest enemy?
4. What kind of fish is most abundant in Walden Pond?
5. What is the length of Thoreau's bean rows added together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Thoreau tell to illustrate his point?
2. What benefits does Thoreau say he gains from simplifying his existence?
3. Why does Thoreau state that his midnight fishing excursions were memorable and valuable?
4. What is Thoreau's theory about entertaining visitors?
5. How does Thoreau say he became more intimate with his beans?
6. How does Thoreau describe the piece of land he lives on?
7. Why does Thoreau hate the name 'Flint's Pond'?
8. How does Thoreau clean his house?
9. Why does Thoreau despise the railway?
10. What kind of 'music' does Thoreau make while hoeing the bean-field?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)