|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thoreau see in the clear water of the pond one November day?
(a) A school of perch.
(b) A large turtle.
(c) A muskrat family.
(d) A heron.
2. "Walden is a perfect forest mirror" in which season?
3. What item does Thoreau discover missing?
(a) His flint.
(b) His hoe.
(c) A volume of Homer.
(d) His fountain pen.
4. What was Thoreau doing in the village when he was arrested?
(a) Picking up a shoe from the cobbler's.
(b) Buying a newspaper.
(c) Selling beans.
(d) Having a drink at the bar-room.
5. What does Thoreau usually carry back to Walden Pond from the village?
(a) A light heart.
(b) A bag of rye.
(c) A loaf of bread.
(d) A new book.
Short Answer Questions
1. In terms of the bean-field, what was Thoreau's greatest enemy?
2. "Objects of charity are not..."
3. How much does Thoreau spend on supplies for his bean-field?
4. Who is never alone?
5. When Thoreau began living in the woods, his "house was not finished, but was merely a defense against the..."
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau admire the French Canadian woodchopper?
2. What effect did Thoreau's isolation have on his social life?
3. What is Thoreau's theory about entertaining visitors?
4. How does Thoreau describe the development of his relationship with the forest and Walden Pond?
5. How does Thoreau feel about walking home from town late at night in the dark?
6. How does Thoreau clean his house?
7. What reaction do the people of Concord have to Thoreau's lifestyle?
8. Why does Thoreau think that there would be no stealing if everyone lived the same way he did?
9. What does Thoreau believe will happen if general American society begins supporting education?
10. What kind of 'music' does Thoreau make while hoeing the bean-field?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)