|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Thoreau believe intellectual societies are confined?
(a) Paris and Oxford.
(c) New York.
(d) Literary circles.
2. What book does Thoreau keep on his table throughout the summer?
(a) Milton's Paradise Lost.
(b) The Bible.
(c) Cervantes' Don Quixote.
(d) Homer's Iliad.
3. What did Thoreau do early in the morning?
(a) Went for a walk.
(b) Bathed in the pond.
(c) Gathered food from his garden.
(d) Read a book.
4. Which bird does Thoreau doubt has ever profaned Walden Pond?
(a) A finch.
(b) A pigeon.
(c) A sparrow.
(d) A seagull.
5. What bird does Thoreau contemplate keeping merely for his music?
(a) A screech owl.
(b) A canary.
(c) A crow.
(d) A rooster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Thoreau's guests often do when they leave after dark?
2. Thoreau feels it isn't important to provide this for his visitors.
3. How far was Thoreau's house from Concord?
4. How much is Thoreau's profit from the bean-field?
5. What birds does Thoreau hear regularly during the summer at 7:30pm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thoreau believe will happen if general American society begins supporting education?
2. How does Thoreau know that visitors have dropped by while he is gone?
3. Does Thoreau believe this is a practical way that everyone can live?
4. What effect did Thoreau's isolation have on his social life?
5. How does Thoreau compare men to the stars and planets?
6. Why does Thoreau believe that Huckleberries lose their flavor before they go to market?
7. Why does Thoreau hate the name 'Flint's Pond'?
8. What reaction do the people of Concord have to Thoreau's lifestyle?
9. Why does Thoreau state that his midnight fishing excursions were memorable and valuable?
10. What does it mean to "live deliberately"?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)