|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Thoreau feel sympathy?
(a) Prowling animals.
(b) Singing birds.
(c) Tree leaves.
(d) Withering flowers.
2. "The mass of men lead lives of quiet..."
3. What animals ate out of the hands of the woodsman?
4. Who carried the Iliad with him on his expeditions?
(c) Captain James Cook.
(d) Edmund Hillary.
5. What is Thoreau's shelter at Walden Pond?
(a) An abandoned shanty.
(b) A small house.
(c) A cave.
(d) A tent.
Short Answer Questions
1. "As long as possible live free and..."
2. What does Thoreau see in the clear water of the pond one November day?
3. "Nature has no human inhabitant who..."
4. "The swiftest traveler is he that goes..."
5. Thoreau hates the name of what local pond ?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau hate the name 'Flint's Pond'?
2. Why does Thoreau admire the French Canadian woodchopper?
3. What effect does Thoreau claim nature has on man?
4. How does Thoreau feel about walking home from town late at night in the dark?
5. Why does Thoreau advocate living "free and uncommitted"?
6. How does Thoreau feel about taking life lessons from books?
7. What story does Thoreau tell to illustrate his point?
8. How does Thoreau compare men to the stars and planets?
9. What benefits does Thoreau say he gains from simplifying his existence?
10. What does Thoreau mean when he says "The whole body is one sense"?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)