|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thoreau usually carry back to Walden Pond from the village?
(a) A light heart.
(b) A loaf of bread.
(c) A bag of rye.
(d) A new book.
2. What did Thoreau do during his first summer at Walden Pond?
(a) Hoed beans.
(b) Studied Philosophy.
(c) Read Books.
(d) Wrote a book.
3. What animals ate out of the hands of the woodsman?
4. What does Thoreau sometimes hear on Sundays?
(a) Organ music.
(b) Choirs singing.
(c) Families walking in the forest.
(d) Church bells.
5. Where is Walden Pond located?
(a) Albany, New York.
(b) Concord, Massachusetts.
(c) Portland, Oregon.
(d) Keswick, England.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thoreau claim is the cure for his ailments?
2. "Be it life or death, we crave only..."
3. In terms of the bean-field, what was Thoreau's greatest enemy?
4. How long does Thoreau live at Walden Pond?
5. Why does the Canadian woodchopper read the French paper?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau compare the people in the village to muskrats?
2. What does it mean to "live deliberately"?
3. Why does Thoreau despise the railway?
4. What effect does Thoreau claim nature has on man?
5. How does Thoreau bond with the old fisherman?
6. Why does Thoreau state that his midnight fishing excursions were memorable and valuable?
7. How does Thoreau describe Time?
8. What does Thoreau believe will happen if general American society begins supporting education?
9. Why does Thoreau admire the French Canadian woodchopper?
10. How does Thoreau say he became more intimate with his beans?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)