|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to legend, after whom was Walden Pond named?
(a) A town official.
(b) A hunter.
(c) The original owner of the property.
(d) An old Indian woman.
2. What was the name of the family Thoreau bought a farm from and then returned the ownership to them?
3. What did Thoreau imagine doing?
(a) Living off the land.
(b) Writing a book.
(c) Buying a farm.
(d) Building a house.
4. "As long as possible live free and..."
5. What does Thoreau state was a pleasant pastime?
(a) Visiting friends.
(b) The theater.
(c) Listening to music.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many chairs does Thoreau have in his house?
2. Some of Thoreau's pleasantest hours are spent during this kind of weather:
3. What is the name of the Plymouth Colony governor who wasn't fed by the king of the tribe he visited?
4. What time does Thoreau begin hoeing every day?
5. What does Thoreau usually carry back to Walden Pond from the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau advocate living "free and uncommitted"?
2. What kind of 'music' does Thoreau make while hoeing the bean-field?
3. What does Thoreau believe will happen if general American society begins supporting education?
4. What reaction do the people of Concord have to Thoreau's lifestyle?
5. How does Thoreau say he became more intimate with his beans?
6. How does Thoreau bond with the old fisherman?
7. What story does Thoreau tell to illustrate his point?
8. What effect did Thoreau's isolation have on his social life?
9. How does Thoreau compare men to the stars and planets?
10. How does Thoreau clean his house?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)