|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "In dealing with truth we are..."
2. For what do Thoreau's visitors often ask him?
(a) A meal.
(b) A cup of coffee.
(c) A glass of water.
3. "Objects of charity are not..."
4. What book does Thoreau keep on his table throughout the summer?
(a) Homer's Iliad.
(b) Cervantes' Don Quixote.
(c) Milton's Paradise Lost.
(d) The Bible.
5. What does Thoreau think Concord should become?
(a) A major railway stop.
(b) A patron of the fine arts.
(c) A tourist town.
(d) A town of historical significance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Thoreau do during his first summer at Walden Pond?
2. Thoreau states his residence at Walden was more favorable to thought and serious reading than what institution?
3. What does Thoreau wage a war with in his bean-field?
4. What was Thoreau doing in the village when he was arrested?
5. What does Thoreau state was a pleasant pastime?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau compare men to the stars and planets?
2. Why does Thoreau think that there would be no stealing if everyone lived the same way he did?
3. How does Thoreau know that visitors have dropped by while he is gone?
4. What effect did Thoreau's isolation have on his social life?
5. How does Thoreau compare the people in the village to muskrats?
6. Why does Thoreau admire the French Canadian woodchopper?
7. Why does Thoreau advocate living "free and uncommitted"?
8. How does Thoreau feel about taking life lessons from books?
9. What is Thoreau's theory about entertaining visitors?
10. Why is Thoreau so unhappy with the state of culture in Concord?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)