|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal's sound ushers in the night?
(a) The bullfrog's trump.
(b) The coyote's yelp.
(c) The whip-poor-will's cry.
(d) The hawk's scream.
2. Thoreau calls the train an "iron..."
3. "We are underbred and low-lived and..."
4. What does Thoreau uncover as he hoes the bean-field?
(a) Tree stumps.
(b) Buried treasure.
(c) Native artifacts.
(d) The remains of animals.
5. How far was Thoreau's house from Concord?
(a) 5 miles.
(b) 1 1/2 miles.
(c) 2 1/2 miles.
(d) 3 miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who exerted an influence on mankind more than kings and emperors?
2. What gets struck by lighting during a heavy thunder-shower?
3. Where is Walden Pond located?
4. What does Thoreau usually carry back to Walden Pond from the village?
5. On what pond does Thoreau live on the shore?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau say Walden Pond got its revenge on the men who were harvesting the ice?
2. What does Thoreau say about Zilpha's life?
3. How does Thoreau say he became more intimate with his beans?
4. What is Thoreau's theory about entertaining visitors?
5. How does Thoreau bond with the old fisherman?
6. How does Thoreau describe Time?
7. What does Thoreau compare the spring melt with?
8. Why does Thoreau admire the 'wild men' who go ice-fishing on Walden Pond?
9. Who is the poet with whom Thoreau has a conversation at the beginning of the chapter?
10. Why does Thoreau admire the French Canadian woodchopper?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)