|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What plant grows at the edge of the path near the end of May?
(c) The sand cherry.
2. What book does Thoreau keep on his table throughout the summer?
(a) Cervantes' Don Quixote.
(b) Homer's Iliad.
(c) Milton's Paradise Lost.
(d) The Bible.
3. Thoreau hates the name of what local pond ?
(a) White Pond.
(b) Fish Pond.
(c) Mill Pond.
(d) Flint's Pond.
4. What does Thoreau think Concord should become?
(a) A town of historical significance.
(b) A major railway stop.
(c) A patron of the fine arts.
(d) A tourist town.
5. How many chairs does Thoreau have in his house?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which building is NOT listed by Thoreau as a vital building in the village?
2. What writer does the French Canadian Woodsman love?
3. "Objects of charity are not..."
4. On what pond does Thoreau live on the shore?
5. What kind of fish does Thoreau try to catch in the winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thoreau throw sweet corn on the snow by his door?
2. What benefits does Thoreau say he gains from simplifying his existence?
3. How does Thoreau build a store of food for winter?
4. How does Thoreau describe the development of his relationship with the forest and Walden Pond?
5. How does Thoreau know that visitors have dropped by while he is gone?
6. Why does Thoreau hate the name 'Flint's Pond'?
7. What are the two paths that Thoreau finds himself drawn to?
8. What story does Thoreau tell to illustrate his point?
9. Why does Thoreau love owls?
10. How does Thoreau describe Time?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)