|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What writer does the French Canadian Woodsman love?
2. According to legend, after whom was Walden Pond named?
(a) An old Indian woman.
(b) A town official.
(c) A hunter.
(d) The original owner of the property.
3. "I go and come with a strange... in Nature."
4. For what does Thoreau feel sympathy?
(a) Withering flowers.
(b) Singing birds.
(c) Prowling animals.
(d) Tree leaves.
5. What did Thoreau do early in the morning?
(a) Bathed in the pond.
(b) Gathered food from his garden.
(c) Went for a walk.
(d) Read a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Thoreau's guests often do when they leave after dark?
2. In what does Thoreau claim to have indulged very little?
3. In total, how much does it cost for Thoreau to build his house?
4. What time does Thoreau begin hoeing every day?
5. When did Thoreau begin to live in the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau bond with the old fisherman?
2. Does Thoreau believe this is a practical way that everyone can live?
3. Why does Thoreau advocate living "free and uncommitted"?
4. Why does Thoreau love owls?
5. Why does Thoreau believe that people should read the classics?
6. What does Thoreau believe will happen if general American society begins supporting education?
7. How does Thoreau know that visitors have dropped by while he is gone?
8. What kind of 'music' does Thoreau make while hoeing the bean-field?
9. How does Thoreau describe the piece of land he lives on?
10. What effect does Thoreau claim nature has on man?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)