|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bird does Thoreau contemplate keeping merely for his music?
(a) A screech owl.
(b) A crow.
(c) A rooster.
(d) A canary.
2. For what does Thoreau feel sympathy?
(a) Singing birds.
(b) Withering flowers.
(c) Prowling animals.
(d) Tree leaves.
3. What are the necessities of life?
(a) Love, happiness, family, and religion.
(b) Food, shelter, land, and freedom.
(c) Food, shelter, clothing, and sunlight.
(d) Food, shelter, clothing, and fuel.
4. What is the length of Thoreau's bean rows added together?
(a) Two miles.
(b) Five miles.
(c) 800 yards.
(d) Seven miles.
5. What does Thoreau state was a pleasant pastime?
(b) Visiting friends.
(c) Listening to music.
(d) The theater.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fruit never reaches Boston?
2. Thoreau states his residence at Walden was more favorable to thought and serious reading than what institution?
3. For what do Thoreau's visitors often ask him?
4. Why does the Canadian woodchopper read the French paper?
5. What is Thoreau's shelter at Walden Pond?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Thoreau tell to illustrate his point?
2. How does Thoreau feel about taking life lessons from books?
3. What does it mean to "live deliberately"?
4. What benefits does Thoreau say he gains from simplifying his existence?
5. How does Thoreau bond with the old fisherman?
6. How does Thoreau describe Time?
7. What reaction do the people of Concord have to Thoreau's lifestyle?
8. Why does Thoreau despise the railway?
9. Why does Thoreau love owls?
10. What effect does Thoreau claim nature has on man?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)