|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thoreau hear from town in his bean-field on gala days?
(a) The train whistle.
(b) A brass band.
(c) Church bells.
(d) Military gunfire.
2. "I wanted to live deeply and..."
(a) Suck out all the marrow if life.
(b) To the fullest.
(c) Experience everything the world offered.
(d) Like each day was my last.
3. "The mass of men lead lives of quiet..."
4. What does Thoreau see in the clear water of the pond one November day?
(a) A school of perch.
(b) A muskrat family.
(c) A large turtle.
(d) A heron.
5. What animal's sound ushers in the night?
(a) The hawk's scream.
(b) The coyote's yelp.
(c) The whip-poor-will's cry.
(d) The bullfrog's trump.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which building is NOT listed by Thoreau as a vital building in the village?
2. What does one Concord Trader use as a sign for his store?
3. For what do Thoreau's visitors often ask him?
4. What is Thoreau's net income from his farm?
5. How close is Thoreau's nearest neighbor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau feel about walking home from town late at night in the dark?
2. Why does Thoreau advocate living "free and uncommitted"?
3. Why does Thoreau believe that people should read the classics?
4. How does Thoreau feel about taking life lessons from books?
5. Why does Thoreau state that his midnight fishing excursions were memorable and valuable?
6. Why does Thoreau admire the French Canadian woodchopper?
7. What does Thoreau believe will happen if general American society begins supporting education?
8. Why is Thoreau so unhappy with the state of culture in Concord?
9. How does Thoreau say he became more intimate with his beans?
10. Why does Thoreau love owls?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)