|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which bird does Thoreau doubt has ever profaned Walden Pond?
(a) A finch.
(b) A pigeon.
(c) A seagull.
(d) A sparrow.
2. What is Thoreau's shelter at Walden Pond?
(a) A tent.
(b) A small house.
(c) An abandoned shanty.
(d) A cave.
3. What does Thoreau claim is the cure for his ailments?
(a) Morning air.
4. What item does Thoreau discover missing?
(a) His hoe.
(b) A volume of Homer.
(c) His flint.
(d) His fountain pen.
5. What does Thoreau uncover as he hoes the bean-field?
(a) Buried treasure.
(b) The remains of animals.
(c) Native artifacts.
(d) Tree stumps.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fruit never reaches Boston?
2. How long does Thoreau stay in jail?
3. What frequently notifies Thoreau of a passing traveler along the highway?
4. What does Thoreau hear from town in his bean-field on gala days?
5. What kind of fish does Thoreau try to catch in the winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean to "live deliberately"?
2. How does Thoreau explain his relationship with his beans?
3. Why does Thoreau admire the French Canadian woodchopper?
4. Why does Thoreau think that there would be no stealing if everyone lived the same way he did?
5. How does Thoreau know that visitors have dropped by while he is gone?
6. What reaction do the people of Concord have to Thoreau's lifestyle?
7. What story does Thoreau tell to illustrate his point?
8. What does Thoreau mean when he says "The whole body is one sense"?
9. How does Thoreau compare the people in the village to muskrats?
10. What does Thoreau think is a 'surprising and memorable experience,' and why?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)