|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What American institution does Thoreau state he could do without?
(a) The Post Office.
(b) The Church.
(c) The Railway.
(d) The Government.
2. Thoreau speaks of visitors from what charitable institution?
(a) The Salvation Army.
(b) The almshouse.
(c) The hospital.
(d) The church.
3. What is the length of Thoreau's bean rows added together?
(a) Five miles.
(b) Two miles.
(c) 800 yards.
(d) Seven miles.
4. What was the name of the family Thoreau bought a farm from and then returned the ownership to them?
5. What did Thoreau do early in the morning?
(a) Bathed in the pond.
(b) Read a book.
(c) Went for a walk.
(d) Gathered food from his garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the necessities of life?
2. What does Thoreau claim is the cure for his ailments?
3. How many chairs does Thoreau have in his house?
4. What do Thoreau's guests often do when they leave after dark?
5. "The swiftest traveler is he that goes..."
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thoreau build a store of food for winter?
2. How does Thoreau compare the people in the village to muskrats?
3. Why does Thoreau admire the French Canadian woodchopper?
4. Why does Thoreau think that there would be no stealing if everyone lived the same way he did?
5. Who was Brister Freeman?
6. What benefits does Thoreau say he gains from simplifying his existence?
7. Why does Thoreau describe wood as a precious commodity?
8. How does Thoreau describe the piece of land he lives on?
9. What story does Thoreau tell to illustrate his point?
10. How does Thoreau feel about walking home from town late at night in the dark?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)