|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which tribe calls hunters the "best men"?
(a) The Algonquins.
(b) The Cree.
(c) The Mohawks.
(d) The Iroquois.
2. What does Thoreau compare to pearls and crystals?
3. What kind of literature does Thoreau like best?
4. In a battle recorded by Olus Magnus, what do the victorious ants do?
(a) Enslave the young of their enemy hive.
(b) Bury the bodies of their own soldiers.
(c) Form a circle around their dead enemies.
(d) Eat the bodies of their dead enemies.
5. According to tales, who planted the beech grove?
(b) A wandering minstrel.
6. "We can never have enough of..."
7. What vegetable does Thoreau chiefly grow at Walden Pond?
8. What does Thoreau do to test the strength of the ice?
(a) He jumps on it.
(b) He throws stones on it.
(c) He stands on it.
(d) He cuts out small pieces and measures them.
9. "Sell your clothes and keep your..."
10. For what does San Nutting exchange bear skins?
11. Where have loons been caught with fishing hooks, eighty feet below the water's surface?
(a) New York.
12. Who or what does Thoreau visit?
13. What does Thoreau do to pass the time on winter evenings?
(a) He dreams.
(b) He reads.
(c) He writes.
(d) He whittles.
14. What happened to a settler's family in Sutton in 1717?
(a) Their cottage was completely buried in snow.
(b) Their house burned down.
(c) They were forced off their land by a flood.
(d) They couldn't pay their taxes and were forced to move.
15. What kind of bird does Thoreau watch for hours in the fall?
Short Answer Questions
1. What winter bird does Thoreau amuse himself by watching?
2. What does Thoreau sometimes dream of owning?
3. What kind of bird does Thoreau begin to see again in April?
4. "It is not worth the while to live by..."
5. How long do the workmen take to harvest the ice of the pond?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)