|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does one hunter use as a musical instrument?
(b) A tree leaf.
(c) A saw.
2. What kind of tree is two feet in diameter?
(a) Black birch.
(b) Green oak.
(d) Yellow ash.
3. What animal was Thoreau surprised to see walking along the shore of the pond?
(a) A beaver.
(b) A cat.
(c) A dog.
(d) A wolf.
4. How long do the workmen take to harvest the ice of the pond?
(a) Three days.
(b) Eighteen days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Sixteen days.
5. "Sell your clothes and keep your..."
6. What animal grows to be four feet long, yet is rarely seen by humans?
(a) The raccoon.
(b) The otter.
(c) The fox.
(d) The lynx.
7. What bird does Thoreau hear almost every day in the winter?
(a) An owl.
(b) A duck.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A goose.
8. According to tales, who planted the beech grove?
(a) A wandering minstrel.
9. What does Thoreau hope will happen if John Field reads his book?
(a) He will improve himself.
(b) He will come over for dinner.
(c) He will move to a different town.
(d) He will learn how to fish.
10. What winter bird does Thoreau amuse himself by watching?
(a) A blue jay.
(b) A chickadee.
(c) A barred owl.
(d) A cardinal.
11. What bird comes to the pond in the fall?
(a) The swan.
(b) The cardinal.
(c) The loon.
(d) The goose.
12. In what solitary amusements do most Yankees engage?
(a) Reading and playing cards.
(b) Skiing and swimming.
(c) Hunting and Fishing.
(d) Walking and hiking.
13. What caused John Farmer to contemplate his life?
(a) Thoreau's philosophy.
(b) The sound of a flute.
(c) The night sky.
(d) The Bible.
14. What color is the ice from Walden Pond?
15. What kind of literature does Thoreau like best?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the poet say is the greatest thing he has seen today?
2. Where have loons been caught with fishing hooks, eighty feet below the water's surface?
3. To what does Thoreau compare his body?
4. What creatures do Thoreau find battling in the wood-pile?
5. For what does San Nutting exchange bear skins?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)