|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who or what does Thoreau visit?
2. What animals are likely to thrive no matter what?
(a) Wolves and Coyotes.
(b) Rabbits and partridges.
(c) Squirrels and mice.
(d) Foxes and Owls.
3. What does Thoreau sell before he moves into the woods?
(a) His gun.
(b) His horse.
(c) His watch.
(d) His books.
4. On what day in 1852 was Walden first completely open?
(a) March 23rd.
(b) April 1st.
(c) April 18th.
(d) March 28th.
5. What kind of bird does Thoreau begin to see again in April?
6. What does Thoreau compare to pearls and crystals?
7. According to tales, who planted the beech grove?
(a) A wandering minstrel.
8. What bird comes to the pond in the fall?
(a) The loon.
(b) The goose.
(c) The cardinal.
(d) The swan.
9. To what howling animal does Thoreau compare the loon?
(a) A dog.
(b) A coyote.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A jackal.
10. "It is not worth the while to live by..."
(a) Rich cookery.
(b) Eating meat.
(c) Bread alone.
(d) Wine bottles.
11. What instrument does Thoreau use to watch the war more closely?
(a) A monocle.
(b) A telescope.
(c) A microscope.
(d) A magnifying glass.
12. What should we come home with after adventures?
(a) Knowledge and confidence.
(b) Money and wealth.
(c) Wisdom and direction.
(d) Experience and character.
13. What happened to Breed's hut?
(a) A family of birds nested there.
(b) It was abandoned.
(c) It burned down.
(d) It was used as a wood shed.
14. What kind of animal does Thoreau find in his house?
15. What vegetable does Thoreau chiefly grow at Walden Pond?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to a settler's family in Sutton in 1717?
2. Who came the farthest to visit Thoreau in the winter?
3. Where have loons been caught with fishing hooks, eighty feet below the water's surface?
4. Which tribe calls hunters the "best men"?
5. What creatures do Thoreau find battling in the wood-pile?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)