|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feeling does spring create in men?
2. In what solitary amusements do most Yankees engage?
(a) Hunting and Fishing.
(b) Skiing and swimming.
(c) Walking and hiking.
(d) Reading and playing cards.
3. What bird does Thoreau hear almost every day in the winter?
(a) A duck.
(b) An owl.
(c) A goose.
(d) An eagle.
4. What do people come from town to take from Walden Pond?
(b) Aquatic plants.
5. Who came the farthest to visit Thoreau in the winter?
(a) A poet.
(b) A hunter.
(c) A reporter.
(d) A farmer.
6. What does Thoreau do when ice first forms on the pond?
(a) He goes skating.
(b) He goes ice fishing.
(c) He lies on the ice and examines the bottom of the pond.
(d) He writes a poem about it.
7. According to tales, who planted the beech grove?
(a) A wandering minstrel.
8. What happened to a settler's family in Sutton in 1717?
(a) Their cottage was completely buried in snow.
(b) Their house burned down.
(c) They couldn't pay their taxes and were forced to move.
(d) They were forced off their land by a flood.
9. What does the poet say is the greatest thing he has seen today?
(a) The clouds.
(b) The hermit's face.
(c) A book he was reading.
(d) The forest.
10. Where is John Field from?
(c) French Canada.
11. Which animals get under Thoreau's house as spring beings?
(a) Red squirrels.
(d) Black squirrels.
12. What insect came to Walden Pond by thousands in October?
13. What animal does Thoreau describe as "rudimental, burrowing men"?
14. On what day in 1852 was Walden first completely open?
(a) March 28th.
(b) April 18th.
(c) April 1st.
(d) March 23rd.
15. What does Thoreau call his time at Walden Pond?
(a) A lonely period.
(b) A seclusion.
(c) An experiment.
(d) A an exercise in futility.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was it rumored that Col. Quoil had been a soldier?
2. What caused John Farmer to contemplate his life?
3. For what does San Nutting exchange bear skins?
4. How long do the workmen take to harvest the ice of the pond?
5. What animal grows to be four feet long, yet is rarely seen by humans?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)