|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does San Nutting exchange bear skins?
2. What animal does Thoreau want to eat when it crosses his path?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A duck.
(c) A woodchuck.
(d) A squirrel.
3. Where have loons been caught with fishing hooks, eighty feet below the water's surface?
(c) New York.
4. What kind of tree is two feet in diameter?
(a) Black birch.
(b) Yellow ash.
(d) Green oak.
5. What does Thoreau do when ice first forms on the pond?
(a) He lies on the ice and examines the bottom of the pond.
(b) He writes a poem about it.
(c) He goes skating.
(d) He goes ice fishing.
6. What animal does Thoreau describe as "rudimental, burrowing men"?
7. What bird comes to the pond in the fall?
(a) The goose.
(b) The loon.
(c) The cardinal.
(d) The swan.
8. In a battle recorded by Olus Magnus, what do the victorious ants do?
(a) Eat the bodies of their dead enemies.
(b) Enslave the young of their enemy hive.
(c) Form a circle around their dead enemies.
(d) Bury the bodies of their own soldiers.
9. What animal grows to be four feet long, yet is rarely seen by humans?
(a) The otter.
(b) The raccoon.
(c) The fox.
(d) The lynx.
10. "It is not worth the while to live by..."
(a) Wine bottles.
(b) Rich cookery.
(c) Bread alone.
(d) Eating meat.
11. What does Thoreau do to test the strength of the ice?
(a) He stands on it.
(b) He throws stones on it.
(c) He cuts out small pieces and measures them.
(d) He jumps on it.
12. What kind of animal does Thoreau find in his house?
13. What color is the ice from Walden Pond?
14. What animal was Thoreau surprised to see walking along the shore of the pond?
(a) A beaver.
(b) A dog.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A cat.
15. Who does Thoreau meet when taking shelter from a thunder storm?
(a) The governor of Massachusetts.
(b) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(c) John Field and his family.
(d) His school teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day in 1852 was Walden first completely open?
2. What kind of literature does Thoreau like best?
3. To what howling animal does Thoreau compare the loon?
4. Who came the farthest to visit Thoreau in the winter?
5. Thoreau is inclined to be a...
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)