|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to a settler's family in Sutton in 1717?
(a) Their house burned down.
(b) They couldn't pay their taxes and were forced to move.
(c) They were forced off their land by a flood.
(d) Their cottage was completely buried in snow.
2. What animal was Thoreau surprised to see walking along the shore of the pond?
(a) A beaver.
(b) A dog.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A cat.
3. What is the destiny of the human race?
(a) To become vegetarians.
(b) To advance technologically.
(c) To read Thoreau's writing.
(d) To become more enlightened.
4. "If you would be chaste, you must be..."
5. What kind of bird does Thoreau begin to see again in April?
6. What vegetable does Thoreau chiefly grow at Walden Pond?
7. What date does Thoreau leave Walden?
(a) September 6th, 1845.
(b) October 6th, 1847.
(c) September 6th, 1847.
(d) October 6h, 1846.
8. What animal does Thoreau want to eat when it crosses his path?
(a) A duck.
(b) A squirrel.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A woodchuck.
9. Who came the farthest to visit Thoreau in the winter?
(a) A poet.
(b) A reporter.
(c) A hunter.
(d) A farmer.
10. What does the poet say is the greatest thing he has seen today?
(a) The clouds.
(b) A book he was reading.
(c) The hermit's face.
(d) The forest.
11. What insect came to Walden Pond by thousands in October?
12. In what solitary amusements do most Yankees engage?
(a) Walking and hiking.
(b) Reading and playing cards.
(c) Skiing and swimming.
(d) Hunting and Fishing.
13. What caused John Farmer to contemplate his life?
(a) The night sky.
(b) Thoreau's philosophy.
(c) The sound of a flute.
(d) The Bible.
14. "We can never have enough of..."
15. What does Thoreau hope will happen if John Field reads his book?
(a) He will come over for dinner.
(b) He will learn how to fish.
(c) He will improve himself.
(d) He will move to a different town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of bird does Thoreau watch for hours in the fall?
2. How long do the workmen take to harvest the ice of the pond?
3. What does Thoreau say he chanced upon one day?
4. What kind of literature does Thoreau like best?
5. "He that does not eat need not..."
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)