|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who or what does Thoreau visit?
2. How does Thoreau describe the temperature when he began to plaster his house?
3. What bird does Thoreau hear almost every day in the winter?
(a) An eagle.
(b) An owl.
(c) A goose.
(d) A duck.
4. What does Thoreau do when ice first forms on the pond?
(a) He goes skating.
(b) He lies on the ice and examines the bottom of the pond.
(c) He writes a poem about it.
(d) He goes ice fishing.
5. What does Thoreau do to pass the time on winter evenings?
(a) He dreams.
(b) He writes.
(c) He whittles.
(d) He reads.
6. What animals were inside the shelter with the Field family?
7. "We can never have enough of..."
8. For what does San Nutting exchange bear skins?
9. What does Thoreau sometimes dream of owning?
(a) A large house.
(b) A library.
(c) A horse.
(d) A gun.
10. What instrument does Thoreau use to watch the war more closely?
(a) A monocle.
(b) A microscope.
(c) A telescope.
(d) A magnifying glass.
11. What should we come home with after adventures?
(a) Experience and character.
(b) Wisdom and direction.
(c) Knowledge and confidence.
(d) Money and wealth.
12. How long do the workmen take to harvest the ice of the pond?
(a) Eighteen days.
(b) Sixteen days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Two weeks.
13. What did Thoreau use during his second winter at Walden Pond?
(a) A stove.
(d) A chimney.
14. What creatures do Thoreau find battling in the wood-pile?
15. What does Thoreau compare to pearls and crystals?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to tales, who planted the beech grove?
2. What happens when Thoreau goes fishing?
3. Where is John Field from?
4. What does Thoreau sell before he moves into the woods?
5. What animal does Thoreau hear hunting with men?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)