|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What creatures do Thoreau find battling in the wood-pile?
2. What instrument does Thoreau use to watch the war more closely?
(a) A magnifying glass.
(b) A telescope.
(c) A microscope.
(d) A monocle.
3. What does one hunter use as a musical instrument?
(a) A tree leaf.
(c) A saw.
4. Which animals get under Thoreau's house as spring beings?
(a) Black squirrels.
(b) Red squirrels.
5. What is the destiny of the human race?
(a) To become more enlightened.
(b) To become vegetarians.
(c) To read Thoreau's writing.
(d) To advance technologically.
6. What kind of bird does Thoreau begin to see again in April?
7. Thoreau is inclined to be a...
8. Who came the farthest to visit Thoreau in the winter?
(a) A reporter.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A poet.
(d) A hunter.
9. What does Thoreau sell before he moves into the woods?
(a) His watch.
(b) His books.
(c) His horse.
(d) His gun.
10. "Remember thy Creator in the days of thy..."
11. What animal does Thoreau want to eat when it crosses his path?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A squirrel.
(c) A duck.
(d) A woodchuck.
12. In what state is Walden Pond located?
(b) Rhode Island.
13. What happens when Thoreau goes fishing?
(a) He mourns the death of the fish.
(b) He is at peace.
(c) He has less self-respect.
(d) He feels pride.
14. What does Thoreau do when ice first forms on the pond?
(a) He lies on the ice and examines the bottom of the pond.
(b) He goes ice fishing.
(c) He writes a poem about it.
(d) He goes skating.
15. What word doesn't Thoreau use to describe John Field?
Short Answer Questions
1. What vegetable does Thoreau chiefly grow at Walden Pond?
2. What kind of bird does Thoreau watch for hours in the fall?
3. What animals were inside the shelter with the Field family?
4. What do people come from town to take from Walden Pond?
5. Who does Thoreau meet when taking shelter from a thunder storm?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)