|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "It is not worth the while to live by..."
(a) Rich cookery.
(b) Eating meat.
(c) Wine bottles.
(d) Bread alone.
2. Who does Thoreau meet when taking shelter from a thunder storm?
(a) John Field and his family.
(b) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(c) The governor of Massachusetts.
(d) His school teacher.
3. "He that does not eat need not..."
4. In what state is Walden Pond located?
(b) Rhode Island.
5. What does one hunter use as a musical instrument?
(b) A saw.
(c) A tree leaf.
6. What should we come home with after adventures?
(a) Wisdom and direction.
(b) Knowledge and confidence.
(c) Experience and character.
(d) Money and wealth.
7. What animal does Thoreau want to eat when it crosses his path?
(a) A woodchuck.
(b) A duck.
(c) A squirrel.
(d) A rabbit.
8. What creatures do Thoreau find battling in the wood-pile?
9. What vegetable does Thoreau chiefly grow at Walden Pond?
10. How is Walden Pond described by the locals?
11. What does Thoreau sell before he moves into the woods?
(a) His horse.
(b) His watch.
(c) His books.
(d) His gun.
12. What color is the ice from Walden Pond?
13. What bird does Thoreau hear almost every day in the winter?
(a) A duck.
(b) A goose.
(c) An owl.
(d) An eagle.
14. What does Thoreau do to test the strength of the ice?
(a) He throws stones on it.
(b) He stands on it.
(c) He cuts out small pieces and measures them.
(d) He jumps on it.
15. "If you would be chaste, you must be..."
Short Answer Questions
1. "Sell your clothes and keep your..."
2. What does Thoreau do to pass the time on winter evenings?
3. What kind of literature does Thoreau like best?
4. According to tales, who planted the beech grove?
5. What kind of animal does Thoreau find in his house?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)