|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of bird does Thoreau watch for hours in the fall?
2. What does one hunter use as a musical instrument?
(a) A tree leaf.
(d) A saw.
3. "Remember thy Creator in the days of thy..."
4. In a battle recorded by Olus Magnus, what do the victorious ants do?
(a) Bury the bodies of their own soldiers.
(b) Form a circle around their dead enemies.
(c) Enslave the young of their enemy hive.
(d) Eat the bodies of their dead enemies.
5. What animal grows to be four feet long, yet is rarely seen by humans?
(a) The fox.
(b) The lynx.
(c) The raccoon.
(d) The otter.
6. Where did Thoreau consider living before Walden Pond?
(b) Pleasant Meadow.
(c) Baker Farm.
(d) White Pond.
7. How long do the workmen take to harvest the ice of the pond?
(a) Eighteen days.
(b) Sixteen days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Two weeks.
8. What animal does Thoreau describe as "rudimental, burrowing men"?
9. What word doesn't Thoreau use to describe John Field?
10. What insect came to Walden Pond by thousands in October?
11. Where is John Field from?
(d) French Canada.
12. In what solitary amusements do most Yankees engage?
(a) Hunting and Fishing.
(b) Walking and hiking.
(c) Reading and playing cards.
(d) Skiing and swimming.
13. What feeling does spring create in men?
14. What does the poet say is the greatest thing he has seen today?
(a) A book he was reading.
(b) The forest.
(c) The hermit's face.
(d) The clouds.
15. "It is not worth the while to live by..."
(a) Eating meat.
(b) Wine bottles.
(c) Bread alone.
(d) Rich cookery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Thoreau goes fishing?
2. What vegetable does Thoreau chiefly grow at Walden Pond?
3. Who or what does Thoreau visit?
4. "If you would be chaste, you must be..."
5. To what does Thoreau compare his body?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)