|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what solitary amusements do most Yankees engage?
(a) Reading and playing cards.
(b) Walking and hiking.
(c) Skiing and swimming.
(d) Hunting and Fishing.
2. Where did Thoreau consider living before Walden Pond?
(a) Pleasant Meadow.
(b) Baker Farm.
(d) White Pond.
3. What happened to Breed's hut?
(a) A family of birds nested there.
(b) It was abandoned.
(c) It burned down.
(d) It was used as a wood shed.
4. Thoreau is inclined to be a...
5. What animal does Thoreau sometimes eat with relish?
(a) Barbecued woodchuck.
(b) Roasted squirrel.
(c) Boiled rabbit.
(d) Fried rat.
6. What kind of literature does Thoreau like best?
7. What animal does Thoreau hear hunting with men?
8. Where is John Field from?
(d) French Canada.
9. What does Thoreau do to test the strength of the ice?
(a) He throws stones on it.
(b) He stands on it.
(c) He jumps on it.
(d) He cuts out small pieces and measures them.
10. What bird does Thoreau hear almost every day in the winter?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A goose.
(c) A duck.
(d) An owl.
11. What happened to a settler's family in Sutton in 1717?
(a) Their cottage was completely buried in snow.
(b) They couldn't pay their taxes and were forced to move.
(c) They were forced off their land by a flood.
(d) Their house burned down.
12. "It is not worth the while to live by..."
(a) Rich cookery.
(b) Wine bottles.
(c) Bread alone.
(d) Eating meat.
13. "We can never have enough of..."
14. What should we come home with after adventures?
(a) Money and wealth.
(b) Experience and character.
(c) Wisdom and direction.
(d) Knowledge and confidence.
15. What happens when Thoreau goes fishing?
(a) He has less self-respect.
(b) He feels pride.
(c) He is at peace.
(d) He mourns the death of the fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal does Thoreau find in his house?
2. What instrument does Thoreau use to watch the war more closely?
3. What winter bird does Thoreau amuse himself by watching?
4. "Remember thy Creator in the days of thy..."
5. What animal grows to be four feet long, yet is rarely seen by humans?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)