|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do people come from town to take from Walden Pond?
(b) Aquatic plants.
2. What does Thoreau compare to pearls and crystals?
3. What animals are likely to thrive no matter what?
(a) Rabbits and partridges.
(b) Wolves and Coyotes.
(c) Squirrels and mice.
(d) Foxes and Owls.
4. "Remember thy Creator in the days of thy..."
5. What bird comes to the pond in the fall?
(a) The swan.
(b) The goose.
(c) The cardinal.
(d) The loon.
6. What insect came to Walden Pond by thousands in October?
7. Where is John Field from?
(d) French Canada.
8. Where did Thoreau consider living before Walden Pond?
(a) White Pond.
(b) Baker Farm.
(c) Pleasant Meadow.
9. What does Thoreau do when ice first forms on the pond?
(a) He writes a poem about it.
(b) He goes skating.
(c) He lies on the ice and examines the bottom of the pond.
(d) He goes ice fishing.
10. What feeling does spring create in men?
11. To what does Thoreau compare his body?
(a) A machine.
(b) A temple.
(c) A holy vessel.
(d) A mighty animal.
12. What word doesn't Thoreau use to describe John Field?
13. Where was it rumored that Col. Quoil had been a soldier?
(b) Hong Kong.
(c) New Orleans.
(d) Upper Canada.
14. What animal does Thoreau want to eat when it crosses his path?
(a) A squirrel.
(b) A woodchuck.
(c) A duck.
(d) A rabbit.
15. Who does Thoreau meet when taking shelter from a thunder storm?
(a) His school teacher.
(b) John Field and his family.
(c) The governor of Massachusetts.
(d) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Breed's hut?
2. How does Thoreau describe the temperature when he began to plaster his house?
3. What is the destiny of the human race?
4. What did Thoreau use during his second winter at Walden Pond?
5. According to tales, who planted the beech grove?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)