|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thoreau say he chanced upon one day?
(a) An eclipse.
(b) A family of deer.
(c) The end of a rainbow.
(d) Buried treasure.
2. What bird comes to the pond in the fall?
(a) The cardinal.
(b) The swan.
(c) The goose.
(d) The loon.
3. What insect came to Walden Pond by thousands in October?
4. What happened to Breed's hut?
(a) It burned down.
(b) It was abandoned.
(c) It was used as a wood shed.
(d) A family of birds nested there.
5. Where did Thoreau consider living before Walden Pond?
(a) White Pond.
(c) Pleasant Meadow.
(d) Baker Farm.
6. In what solitary amusements do most Yankees engage?
(a) Walking and hiking.
(b) Skiing and swimming.
(c) Reading and playing cards.
(d) Hunting and Fishing.
7. "It is not worth the while to live by..."
(a) Rich cookery.
(b) Bread alone.
(c) Eating meat.
(d) Wine bottles.
8. What animals are likely to thrive no matter what?
(a) Rabbits and partridges.
(b) Wolves and Coyotes.
(c) Squirrels and mice.
(d) Foxes and Owls.
9. What animal does Thoreau want to eat when it crosses his path?
(a) A duck.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A woodchuck.
(d) A squirrel.
10. What does Thoreau do to test the strength of the ice?
(a) He throws stones on it.
(b) He jumps on it.
(c) He cuts out small pieces and measures them.
(d) He stands on it.
11. For what does San Nutting exchange bear skins?
12. What happens when Thoreau goes fishing?
(a) He feels pride.
(b) He has less self-respect.
(c) He is at peace.
(d) He mourns the death of the fish.
13. What winter bird does Thoreau amuse himself by watching?
(a) A cardinal.
(b) A barred owl.
(c) A chickadee.
(d) A blue jay.
14. What does Thoreau sell before he moves into the woods?
(a) His books.
(b) His horse.
(c) His gun.
(d) His watch.
15. Where is John Field from?
(d) French Canada.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Thoreau meet when taking shelter from a thunder storm?
2. What animal grows to be four feet long, yet is rarely seen by humans?
3. How is Walden Pond described by the locals?
4. What caused John Farmer to contemplate his life?
5. What kind of animal does Thoreau find in his house?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)