|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Thoreau goes fishing?
(a) He is at peace.
(b) He mourns the death of the fish.
(c) He feels pride.
(d) He has less self-respect.
2. What does Thoreau sell before he moves into the woods?
(a) His gun.
(b) His watch.
(c) His books.
(d) His horse.
3. What kind of tree is two feet in diameter?
(a) Green oak.
(c) Yellow ash.
(d) Black birch.
4. Thoreau is inclined to be a...
5. What kind of animal does Thoreau find in his house?
6. What does Thoreau do to pass the time on winter evenings?
(a) He reads.
(b) He dreams.
(c) He writes.
(d) He whittles.
7. What does Thoreau have difficulty finding in the winter?
(a) Fire wood.
(d) The path to town.
8. What feeling does spring create in men?
9. "It is not worth the while to live by..."
(a) Eating meat.
(b) Bread alone.
(c) Rich cookery.
(d) Wine bottles.
10. Where have loons been caught with fishing hooks, eighty feet below the water's surface?
(a) New York.
11. What kind of bird does Thoreau begin to see again in April?
12. Which tribe calls hunters the "best men"?
(a) The Cree.
(b) The Iroquois.
(c) The Mohawks.
(d) The Algonquins.
13. Where is John Field from?
(a) French Canada.
14. What does Thoreau say he chanced upon one day?
(a) The end of a rainbow.
(b) Buried treasure.
(c) A family of deer.
(d) An eclipse.
15. "He that does not eat need not..."
Short Answer Questions
1. What bird comes to the pond in the fall?
2. What insect came to Walden Pond by thousands in October?
3. According to tales, who planted the beech grove?
4. To what does Thoreau compare his body?
5. What winter bird does Thoreau amuse himself by watching?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)