|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does one hunter use as a musical instrument?
(b) A tree leaf.
(d) A saw.
2. In what state is Walden Pond located?
(d) Rhode Island.
3. What animal does Thoreau describe as "rudimental, burrowing men"?
4. What kind of animal does Thoreau find in his house?
5. What happened to Breed's hut?
(a) A family of birds nested there.
(b) It was abandoned.
(c) It was used as a wood shed.
(d) It burned down.
6. What should we come home with after adventures?
(a) Money and wealth.
(b) Knowledge and confidence.
(c) Experience and character.
(d) Wisdom and direction.
7. What kind of bird does Thoreau begin to see again in April?
8. What kind of literature does Thoreau like best?
9. What does Thoreau sometimes dream of owning?
(a) A large house.
(b) A horse.
(c) A library.
(d) A gun.
10. What date does Thoreau leave Walden?
(a) October 6h, 1846.
(b) October 6th, 1847.
(c) September 6th, 1845.
(d) September 6th, 1847.
11. What bird does Thoreau hear almost every day in the winter?
(a) An eagle.
(b) An owl.
(c) A duck.
(d) A goose.
12. What dramatic event occurs while Thoreau lives at Walden Pond?
(a) He spends a night in jail.
(b) He is shot by a hunter.
(c) His mother dies.
(d) His house burns down.
13. Where was it rumored that Col. Quoil had been a soldier?
(b) New Orleans.
(c) Hong Kong.
(d) Upper Canada.
14. Where have loons been caught with fishing hooks, eighty feet below the water's surface?
(b) New York.
15. What do people come from town to take from Walden Pond?
(d) Aquatic plants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thoreau hope will happen if John Field reads his book?
2. In a battle recorded by Olus Magnus, what do the victorious ants do?
3. How does Thoreau describe the temperature when he began to plaster his house?
4. What does the poet say is the greatest thing he has seen today?
5. What vegetable does Thoreau chiefly grow at Walden Pond?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)