|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Thoreau meet when taking shelter from a thunder storm?
(a) John Field and his family.
(b) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(c) The governor of Massachusetts.
(d) His school teacher.
2. What animal does Thoreau describe as "rudimental, burrowing men"?
3. What does Thoreau do to pass the time on winter evenings?
(a) He dreams.
(b) He reads.
(c) He whittles.
(d) He writes.
4. What feeling does spring create in men?
5. What kind of tree is two feet in diameter?
(b) Green oak.
(c) Black birch.
(d) Yellow ash.
6. What kind of bird does Thoreau begin to see again in April?
7. What happened to Breed's hut?
(a) A family of birds nested there.
(b) It was abandoned.
(c) It was used as a wood shed.
(d) It burned down.
8. How is Walden Pond described by the locals?
9. What does the poet say is the greatest thing he has seen today?
(a) The clouds.
(b) A book he was reading.
(c) The forest.
(d) The hermit's face.
10. What animal was Thoreau surprised to see walking along the shore of the pond?
(a) A dog.
(b) A beaver.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A cat.
11. What bird does Thoreau hear almost every day in the winter?
(a) A duck.
(b) A goose.
(c) An eagle.
(d) An owl.
12. What animal grows to be four feet long, yet is rarely seen by humans?
(a) The raccoon.
(b) The otter.
(c) The lynx.
(d) The fox.
13. According to tales, who planted the beech grove?
(c) A wandering minstrel.
14. Where was it rumored that Col. Quoil had been a soldier?
(a) New Orleans.
(b) Hong Kong.
(c) Upper Canada.
15. What does Thoreau hope will happen if John Field reads his book?
(a) He will improve himself.
(b) He will learn how to fish.
(c) He will come over for dinner.
(d) He will move to a different town.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is John Field from?
2. To what howling animal does Thoreau compare the loon?
3. What date does Thoreau leave Walden?
4. "It is not worth the while to live by..."
5. What does one hunter use as a musical instrument?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)