|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does Thoreau describe as "rudimental, burrowing men"?
2. On what day in 1852 was Walden first completely open?
(a) March 28th.
(b) March 23rd.
(c) April 1st.
(d) April 18th.
3. What does one hunter use as a musical instrument?
(c) A tree leaf.
(d) A saw.
4. "It is not worth the while to live by..."
(a) Wine bottles.
(b) Eating meat.
(c) Bread alone.
(d) Rich cookery.
5. What is the destiny of the human race?
(a) To read Thoreau's writing.
(b) To become vegetarians.
(c) To advance technologically.
(d) To become more enlightened.
6. What dramatic event occurs while Thoreau lives at Walden Pond?
(a) He spends a night in jail.
(b) He is shot by a hunter.
(c) His house burns down.
(d) His mother dies.
7. Where did Thoreau consider living before Walden Pond?
(a) Baker Farm.
(c) White Pond.
(d) Pleasant Meadow.
8. What animal does Thoreau hear hunting with men?
9. What kind of literature does Thoreau like best?
10. Where have loons been caught with fishing hooks, eighty feet below the water's surface?
(d) New York.
11. "He that does not eat need not..."
12. What caused John Farmer to contemplate his life?
(a) The sound of a flute.
(b) The night sky.
(c) Thoreau's philosophy.
(d) The Bible.
13. Thoreau is inclined to be a...
14. What bird does Thoreau hear almost every day in the winter?
(a) An owl.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A goose.
(d) A duck.
15. In what state is Walden Pond located?
(b) Rhode Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was it rumored that Col. Quoil had been a soldier?
2. How long do the workmen take to harvest the ice of the pond?
3. How does Thoreau describe the temperature when he began to plaster his house?
4. What does Thoreau do to test the strength of the ice?
5. What does Thoreau call his time at Walden Pond?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)