|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Breed's hut?
(a) A family of birds nested there.
(b) It was abandoned.
(c) It was used as a wood shed.
(d) It burned down.
2. What does Thoreau sell before he moves into the woods?
(a) His watch.
(b) His books.
(c) His horse.
(d) His gun.
3. What kind of animal does Thoreau find in his house?
4. What animal was Thoreau surprised to see walking along the shore of the pond?
(a) A beaver.
(b) A cat.
(c) A dog.
(d) A wolf.
5. What instrument does Thoreau use to watch the war more closely?
(a) A magnifying glass.
(b) A telescope.
(c) A monocle.
(d) A microscope.
6. "He that does not eat need not..."
7. What feeling does spring create in men?
8. What happens when Thoreau goes fishing?
(a) He feels pride.
(b) He has less self-respect.
(c) He is at peace.
(d) He mourns the death of the fish.
9. Where did Thoreau consider living before Walden Pond?
(a) Baker Farm.
(b) White Pond.
(c) Pleasant Meadow.
10. According to tales, who planted the beech grove?
(b) A wandering minstrel.
11. What animal does Thoreau describe as "rudimental, burrowing men"?
12. What insect came to Walden Pond by thousands in October?
13. In a battle recorded by Olus Magnus, what do the victorious ants do?
(a) Eat the bodies of their dead enemies.
(b) Bury the bodies of their own soldiers.
(c) Enslave the young of their enemy hive.
(d) Form a circle around their dead enemies.
14. How long do the workmen take to harvest the ice of the pond?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Sixteen days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Eighteen days.
15. What animals were inside the shelter with the Field family?
Short Answer Questions
1. What vegetable does Thoreau chiefly grow at Walden Pond?
2. What is the destiny of the human race?
3. How is Walden Pond described by the locals?
4. What kind of bird does Thoreau watch for hours in the fall?
5. Thoreau is inclined to be a...
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)