|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thoreau call his time at Walden Pond?
(a) A an exercise in futility.
(b) An experiment.
(c) A lonely period.
(d) A seclusion.
2. What animal does Thoreau hear hunting with men?
3. How is Walden Pond described by the locals?
4. What bird comes to the pond in the fall?
(a) The cardinal.
(b) The swan.
(c) The loon.
(d) The goose.
5. What vegetable does Thoreau chiefly grow at Walden Pond?
6. On what day in 1852 was Walden first completely open?
(a) April 18th.
(b) March 23rd.
(c) April 1st.
(d) March 28th.
7. What kind of bird does Thoreau watch for hours in the fall?
8. Who came the farthest to visit Thoreau in the winter?
(a) A poet.
(b) A reporter.
(c) A hunter.
(d) A farmer.
9. What does Thoreau do to test the strength of the ice?
(a) He cuts out small pieces and measures them.
(b) He stands on it.
(c) He throws stones on it.
(d) He jumps on it.
10. What color is the ice from Walden Pond?
11. "Sell your clothes and keep your..."
12. What winter bird does Thoreau amuse himself by watching?
(a) A barred owl.
(b) A blue jay.
(c) A cardinal.
(d) A chickadee.
13. What feeling does spring create in men?
14. Who does Thoreau meet when taking shelter from a thunder storm?
(a) His school teacher.
(b) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(c) John Field and his family.
(d) The governor of Massachusetts.
15. What animal was Thoreau surprised to see walking along the shore of the pond?
(a) A wolf.
(b) A dog.
(c) A cat.
(d) A beaver.
Short Answer Questions
1. "If you would be chaste, you must be..."
2. What did Thoreau use during his second winter at Walden Pond?
3. What kind of animal does Thoreau find in his house?
4. What does Thoreau sometimes dream of owning?
5. "It is not worth the while to live by..."
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)