|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of tree is two feet in diameter?
(a) Green oak.
(c) Black birch.
(d) Yellow ash.
2. In what solitary amusements do most Yankees engage?
(a) Walking and hiking.
(b) Reading and playing cards.
(c) Hunting and Fishing.
(d) Skiing and swimming.
3. On what day in 1852 was Walden first completely open?
(a) April 18th.
(b) March 23rd.
(c) March 28th.
(d) April 1st.
4. "Sell your clothes and keep your..."
5. What bird does Thoreau hear almost every day in the winter?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A goose.
(c) An owl.
(d) A duck.
6. What does one hunter use as a musical instrument?
(b) A tree leaf.
(d) A saw.
7. Which animals get under Thoreau's house as spring beings?
(a) Red squirrels.
(d) Black squirrels.
8. What does Thoreau call his time at Walden Pond?
(a) A seclusion.
(b) A an exercise in futility.
(c) An experiment.
(d) A lonely period.
9. What date does Thoreau leave Walden?
(a) September 6th, 1845.
(b) October 6h, 1846.
(c) September 6th, 1847.
(d) October 6th, 1847.
10. How is Walden Pond described by the locals?
11. What feeling does spring create in men?
12. What should we come home with after adventures?
(a) Knowledge and confidence.
(b) Experience and character.
(c) Wisdom and direction.
(d) Money and wealth.
13. Thoreau is inclined to be a...
14. What kind of literature does Thoreau like best?
15. "It is not worth the while to live by..."
(a) Rich cookery.
(b) Bread alone.
(c) Eating meat.
(d) Wine bottles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thoreau sell before he moves into the woods?
2. What does Thoreau do to pass the time on winter evenings?
3. What dramatic event occurs while Thoreau lives at Walden Pond?
4. Where did Thoreau consider living before Walden Pond?
5. What does Thoreau sometimes dream of owning?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)