|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which animals get under Thoreau's house as spring beings?
(b) Red squirrels.
(d) Black squirrels.
2. "Sell your clothes and keep your..."
3. What kind of animal does Thoreau find in his house?
4. To what does Thoreau compare his body?
(a) A machine.
(b) A holy vessel.
(c) A mighty animal.
(d) A temple.
5. What does Thoreau have difficulty finding in the winter?
(a) Fire wood.
(b) The path to town.
6. Which tribe calls hunters the "best men"?
(a) The Mohawks.
(b) The Cree.
(c) The Iroquois.
(d) The Algonquins.
7. What animal does Thoreau describe as "rudimental, burrowing men"?
8. Where is John Field from?
(d) French Canada.
9. What does Thoreau sell before he moves into the woods?
(a) His gun.
(b) His horse.
(c) His watch.
(d) His books.
10. What color is the ice from Walden Pond?
11. What does Thoreau do to pass the time on winter evenings?
(a) He dreams.
(b) He reads.
(c) He writes.
(d) He whittles.
12. What animal does Thoreau hear hunting with men?
13. What animals are likely to thrive no matter what?
(a) Wolves and Coyotes.
(b) Rabbits and partridges.
(c) Squirrels and mice.
(d) Foxes and Owls.
14. In what state is Walden Pond located?
(c) Rhode Island.
15. "If you would be chaste, you must be..."
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal grows to be four feet long, yet is rarely seen by humans?
2. Who or what does Thoreau visit?
3. How does Thoreau describe the temperature when he began to plaster his house?
4. What kind of bird does Thoreau begin to see again in April?
5. What did Thoreau use during his second winter at Walden Pond?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)