|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What vegetable does Thoreau chiefly grow at Walden Pond?
2. What animal grows to be four feet long, yet is rarely seen by humans?
(a) The lynx.
(b) The otter.
(c) The raccoon.
(d) The fox.
3. What happened to Breed's hut?
(a) It was abandoned.
(b) A family of birds nested there.
(c) It was used as a wood shed.
(d) It burned down.
4. On what day in 1852 was Walden first completely open?
(a) March 23rd.
(b) April 1st.
(c) March 28th.
(d) April 18th.
5. What animal does Thoreau want to eat when it crosses his path?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A duck.
(c) A woodchuck.
(d) A squirrel.
6. What color is the ice from Walden Pond?
7. What animals are likely to thrive no matter what?
(a) Wolves and Coyotes.
(b) Rabbits and partridges.
(c) Squirrels and mice.
(d) Foxes and Owls.
8. Where is John Field from?
(c) French Canada.
9. What is the destiny of the human race?
(a) To read Thoreau's writing.
(b) To advance technologically.
(c) To become vegetarians.
(d) To become more enlightened.
10. What happened to a settler's family in Sutton in 1717?
(a) They were forced off their land by a flood.
(b) Their cottage was completely buried in snow.
(c) They couldn't pay their taxes and were forced to move.
(d) Their house burned down.
11. What dramatic event occurs while Thoreau lives at Walden Pond?
(a) He spends a night in jail.
(b) He is shot by a hunter.
(c) His house burns down.
(d) His mother dies.
12. In what state is Walden Pond located?
(c) Rhode Island.
13. How does Thoreau describe the temperature when he began to plaster his house?
14. What does Thoreau say he chanced upon one day?
(a) An eclipse.
(b) The end of a rainbow.
(c) A family of deer.
(d) Buried treasure.
15. Where did Thoreau consider living before Walden Pond?
(b) Baker Farm.
(c) White Pond.
(d) Pleasant Meadow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What creatures do Thoreau find battling in the wood-pile?
2. Which tribe calls hunters the "best men"?
3. What should we come home with after adventures?
4. What does Thoreau compare to pearls and crystals?
5. What instrument does Thoreau use to watch the war more closely?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)