|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What American institution does Thoreau state he could do without?
(a) The Railway.
(b) The Post Office.
(c) The Government.
(d) The Church.
2. "The true husbandman will cease from..."
3. What writer does the French Canadian Woodsman love?
4. What plant grows at the edge of the path near the end of May?
(d) The sand cherry.
5. What does Thoreau frequently do on warm evenings?
(a) Plays the flute in his boat.
(b) Goes for a walk.
(c) Star gazes.
(d) Fishes on the pond.
6. "Nature has no human inhabitant who..."
(a) Treats her well.
(b) Appreciates her.
(c) Loves her.
(d) Respects her.
7. Thoreau feels it isn't important to provide this for his visitors.
(b) A place to sit.
8. What does Thoreau state men have lost when planting crops?
9. In what does Thoreau claim to have indulged very little?
10. What is Thoreau's shelter at Walden Pond?
(a) A tent.
(b) An abandoned shanty.
(c) A small house.
(d) A cave.
11. Thoreau speaks of visitors from what charitable institution?
(a) The church.
(b) The Salvation Army.
(c) The hospital.
(d) The almshouse.
12. What did Thoreau imagine doing?
(a) Writing a book.
(b) Building a house.
(c) Buying a farm.
(d) Living off the land.
13. What birds does Thoreau hear regularly during the summer at 7:30pm?
14. How long does Thoreau live at Walden Pond?
(a) Two years and two months.
(b) One year.
(c) Six months.
(d) Three years and six months.
15. What does Thoreau wage a war with in his bean-field?
(c) Small Animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The adventurous student will always study..."
2. What book does Thoreau keep on his table throughout the summer?
3. "I believe that men are generally still a little afraid of..."
4. "Be it life or death, we crave only..."
5. What did Thoreau do early in the morning?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)