|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the necessities of life?
(a) Food, shelter, clothing, and sunlight.
(b) Food, shelter, clothing, and fuel.
(c) Love, happiness, family, and religion.
(d) Food, shelter, land, and freedom.
2. What bird sings to Thoreau as he works in the bean-field?
(a) A Finch.
(b) A Robin.
(c) A Sparrow.
(d) A Brown Thrasher.
3. "The village appeared to me a great..."
(d) News room.
4. What does Thoreau hope to avoid by harvesting early?
(a) Loss to animals.
5. Which book are most men satisfied by reading or having read to them?
(a) Shakespeare's Sonnets.
(b) The Bible.
(c) Virgil's Aeneid.
(d) The Farmer's Almanac.
6. What does Thoreau state was a pleasant pastime?
(a) Visiting friends.
(b) Listening to music.
(d) The theater.
7. Thoreau hates the name of what local pond ?
(a) White Pond.
(b) Fish Pond.
(c) Flint's Pond.
(d) Mill Pond.
8. What item does Thoreau discover missing?
(a) His hoe.
(b) His flint.
(c) A volume of Homer.
(d) His fountain pen.
9. On what pond does Thoreau live on the shore?
(a) Wiltshire Pond.
(b) Catfish Pond.
(c) Concord Pond.
(d) Walden Pond.
10. "We are underbred and low-lived and..."
11. Thoreau feels it isn't important to provide this for his visitors.
(a) A place to sit.
12. What does Thoreau state men have lost when planting crops?
13. What American institution does Thoreau state he could do without?
(a) The Government.
(b) The Railway.
(c) The Church.
(d) The Post Office.
14. What kind of fish does Thoreau try to catch in the winter?
15. What is the length of Thoreau's bean rows added together?
(a) Seven miles.
(b) 800 yards.
(c) Five miles.
(d) Two miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Thoreau begin to live in the woods?
2. "As long as possible live free and..."
3. What does Thoreau like to have between himself and a conversation partner?
4. Why does Thoreau reject the suggestion of owning a visitor's book?
5. Who exerted an influence on mankind more than kings and emperors?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)