|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which animal is one of "Nature's Watchmen"?
2. What does Thoreau wage a war with in his bean-field?
(a) Small Animals.
3. "As long as possible live free and..."
4. "Objects of charity are not..."
5. What does Thoreau like to have between himself and a conversation partner?
(a) The pond.
(b) A bottle of wine.
(c) A space of at least 2 feet.
(d) A Table.
6. Of what do the smells from the train remind Thoreau?
(a) His childhood.
(b) Big city life.
(c) The destruction of nature.
(d) Other parts of the world.
7. What did Thoreau imagine doing?
(a) Buying a farm.
(b) Building a house.
(c) Living off the land.
(d) Writing a book.
8. When Thoreau began living in the woods, his "house was not finished, but was merely a defense against the..."
9. What fruit never reaches Boston?
10. What plant grows at the edge of the path near the end of May?
(b) The sand cherry.
11. What do Thoreau's guests often do when they leave after dark?
(a) They get lost.
(b) They spend the night at Walden Pond.
(c) They go missing.
(d) They ask Thoreau to walk them home.
12. "I go and come with a strange... in Nature."
13. When did Thoreau begin to live in the woods?
(a) Memorial Day, 1847.
(b) Martin Luther King Day, 1845.
(c) Independence Day, 1845.
(d) Christmas Day, 1846.
14. Where does Thoreau believe intellectual societies are confined?
(b) Literary circles.
(c) Paris and Oxford.
(d) New York.
15. In what does Thoreau claim to have indulged very little?
Short Answer Questions
1. Thoreau speaks of visitors from what charitable institution?
2. What writer does the French Canadian Woodsman love?
3. How much does Thoreau spend on supplies for his bean-field?
4. Thoreau hates the name of what local pond ?
5. Some of Thoreau's pleasantest hours are spent during this kind of weather:
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)