|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "I believe that men are generally still a little afraid of..."
(a) The dark.
(b) Their imaginations.
(c) The devil.
2. What birds does Thoreau hear regularly during the summer at 7:30pm?
3. What does Thoreau wage a war with in his bean-field?
(a) Small Animals.
4. What does Thoreau state men have lost when planting crops?
5. Which book are most men satisfied by reading or having read to them?
(a) The Farmer's Almanac.
(b) Shakespeare's Sonnets.
(c) The Bible.
(d) Virgil's Aeneid.
6. How far was Thoreau's house from Concord?
(a) 5 miles.
(b) 1 1/2 miles.
(c) 3 miles.
(d) 2 1/2 miles.
7. For what do Thoreau's visitors often ask him?
(a) A cup of coffee.
(c) A glass of water.
(d) A meal.
8. What did Thoreau do during his first summer at Walden Pond?
(a) Read Books.
(b) Wrote a book.
(c) Hoed beans.
(d) Studied Philosophy.
9. Which bird does Thoreau doubt has ever profaned Walden Pond?
(a) A finch.
(b) A seagull.
(c) A sparrow.
(d) A pigeon.
10. "I am convinced, that if all men were to live as simply as I then did, ... would be unknown."
(a) Thieving and robbery.
(b) Crime and lawlessness.
(c) Hunger and want.
(d) War and conflict.
11. What happened to Walden Pond between his childhood and the time he moved there?
(a) A family of muskrats moved in.
(b) The fish were depopulated.
(c) The spring dried up.
(d) The trees on the shores were cut down.
12. "The true husbandman will cease from..."
13. What does Thoreau hear in the evening?
(a) Cows lowing.
(b) The wind in the trees.
(c) Goats bleating.
(d) Birds singing.
14. What does Thoreau usually carry back to Walden Pond from the village?
(a) A light heart.
(b) A new book.
(c) A bag of rye.
(d) A loaf of bread.
15. What does Thoreau think Concord should become?
(a) A town of historical significance.
(b) A patron of the fine arts.
(c) A major railway stop.
(d) A tourist town.
Short Answer Questions
1. "I wanted to live deeply and..."
2. What animal does Thoreau kill and eat after it ravages his bean-field?
3. What animal's sound ushers in the night?
4. How often does Thoreau go to the village?
5. How close is Thoreau's nearest neighbor?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)