|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Thoreau keep on his table throughout the summer?
(a) Homer's Iliad.
(b) Milton's Paradise Lost.
(c) Cervantes' Don Quixote.
(d) The Bible.
2. What is Thoreau's shelter at Walden Pond?
(a) An abandoned shanty.
(b) A tent.
(c) A small house.
(d) A cave.
3. What man-made device can Thoreau hear from his window?
(b) Horse-pulled wagon.
(c) Railroad cars.
(d) Lumber mill whistle.
4. How many chairs does Thoreau have in his house?
5. What does Thoreau sometimes hear on Sundays?
(a) Families walking in the forest.
(b) Organ music.
(c) Choirs singing.
(d) Church bells.
6. Some of Thoreau's pleasantest hours are spent during this kind of weather:
(d) Sun showers.
7. What fruit never reaches Boston?
8. Who exerted an influence on mankind more than kings and emperors?
9. "The village appeared to me a great..."
(c) News room.
10. What kind of bird does an old man tell Thoreau used to frequent the pond?
11. "Objects of charity are not..."
12. When did Thoreau begin to live in the woods?
(a) Memorial Day, 1847.
(b) Martin Luther King Day, 1845.
(c) Christmas Day, 1846.
(d) Independence Day, 1845.
13. What was the name of the family Thoreau bought a farm from and then returned the ownership to them?
14. Which book are most men satisfied by reading or having read to them?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The Farmer's Almanac.
(c) Shakespeare's Sonnets.
(d) Virgil's Aeneid.
15. What is the name of the Plymouth Colony governor who wasn't fed by the king of the tribe he visited?
Short Answer Questions
1. Thoreau calls the train an "iron..."
2. What writer does the French Canadian Woodsman love?
3. What does Thoreau claim is the cure for his ailments?
4. In what does Thoreau claim to have indulged very little?
5. What does Thoreau think Concord should become?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)