|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what do the smells from the train remind Thoreau?
(a) Big city life.
(b) The destruction of nature.
(c) Other parts of the world.
(d) His childhood.
2. What animal's sound ushers in the night?
(a) The bullfrog's trump.
(b) The whip-poor-will's cry.
(c) The coyote's yelp.
(d) The hawk's scream.
3. "The village appeared to me a great..."
(a) News room.
4. "I wanted to live deeply and..."
(a) Experience everything the world offered.
(b) To the fullest.
(c) Suck out all the marrow if life.
(d) Like each day was my last.
5. What gets struck by lighting during a heavy thunder-shower?
(a) A pine tree.
(b) Walden Pond.
(c) Thoreau's shelter.
(d) The bean field.
6. "Walden is a perfect forest mirror" in which season?
7. What does Thoreau state was a pleasant pastime?
(a) Listening to music.
(b) The theater.
(d) Visiting friends.
8. What does Thoreau like to have between himself and a conversation partner?
(a) A Table.
(b) The pond.
(c) A space of at least 2 feet.
(d) A bottle of wine.
9. What kind of fish is most abundant in Walden Pond?
10. What American institution does Thoreau state he could do without?
(a) The Church.
(b) The Post Office.
(c) The Railway.
(d) The Government.
11. Which building is NOT listed by Thoreau as a vital building in the village?
(a) Post Office.
12. Which animal is one of "Nature's Watchmen"?
13. How much is Thoreau's profit from the bean-field?
14. What does Thoreau hope to avoid by harvesting early?
(d) Loss to animals.
15. "Be it life or death, we crave only..."
Short Answer Questions
1. On what pond does Thoreau live on the shore?
2. In terms of the bean-field, what was Thoreau's greatest enemy?
3. Where does Thoreau believe intellectual societies are confined?
4. What does Thoreau follow all the way into town?
5. What birds does Thoreau hear regularly during the summer at 7:30pm?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)