|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the length of Thoreau's bean rows added together?
(a) Seven miles.
(b) Two miles.
(c) Five miles.
(d) 800 yards.
2. Thoreau feels it isn't important to provide this for his visitors.
(a) A place to sit.
3. What animal's sound ushers in the night?
(a) The bullfrog's trump.
(b) The coyote's yelp.
(c) The hawk's scream.
(d) The whip-poor-will's cry.
4. Why is Thoreau put in jail?
(a) For writing a controversial article.
(b) For failing to pay a tax.
(c) For not returning library books.
(d) For stealing.
5. Thoreau states that fewer people came to see him at Walden Pond on...
(a) Trivial business.
(b) Religious Missions.
(c) Charity Work.
(d) False Pretenses.
6. Which book are most men satisfied by reading or having read to them?
(a) Virgil's Aeneid.
(b) Shakespeare's Sonnets.
(c) The Farmer's Almanac.
(d) The Bible.
7. In terms of the bean-field, what was Thoreau's greatest enemy?
8. What kind of fish does Thoreau try to catch in the winter?
9. "The adventurous student will always study..."
10. What plant grows at the edge of the path near the end of May?
(b) The sand cherry.
11. What does Thoreau frequently do on warm evenings?
(a) Goes for a walk.
(b) Plays the flute in his boat.
(c) Star gazes.
(d) Fishes on the pond.
12. What did Thoreau imagine doing?
(a) Writing a book.
(b) Buying a farm.
(c) Building a house.
(d) Living off the land.
13. What animal does Thoreau kill and eat after it ravages his bean-field?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A woodchuck.
(c) A raccoon.
(d) A squirrel.
14. How far was Thoreau's house from Concord?
(a) 5 miles.
(b) 3 miles.
(c) 2 1/2 miles.
(d) 1 1/2 miles.
15. When Thoreau began living in the woods, his "house was not finished, but was merely a defense against the..."
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of fish is most abundant in Walden Pond?
2. What does Thoreau claim is the cure for his ailments?
3. What does Thoreau hear from town in his bean-field on gala days?
4. What bird sings to Thoreau as he works in the bean-field?
5. What is the name of the Plymouth Colony governor who wasn't fed by the king of the tribe he visited?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)