|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of fish is most abundant in Walden Pond?
2. Of what do the smells from the train remind Thoreau?
(a) His childhood.
(b) Big city life.
(c) The destruction of nature.
(d) Other parts of the world.
3. According to legend, after whom was Walden Pond named?
(a) The original owner of the property.
(b) A town official.
(c) An old Indian woman.
(d) A hunter.
4. Thoreau states his residence at Walden was more favorable to thought and serious reading than what institution?
(a) A seminary.
(b) A think tank.
(c) A library.
(d) A university.
5. How long does Thoreau stay in jail?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) One day.
(c) One week.
(d) A month.
6. Who carried the Iliad with him on his expeditions?
(a) Captain James Cook.
(c) Edmund Hillary.
7. Which book are most men satisfied by reading or having read to them?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Virgil's Aeneid.
(c) Shakespeare's Sonnets.
(d) The Farmer's Almanac.
8. What does Thoreau hear in the evening?
(a) Cows lowing.
(b) Goats bleating.
(c) Birds singing.
(d) The wind in the trees.
9. What do Thoreau's guests often do when they leave after dark?
(a) They spend the night at Walden Pond.
(b) They ask Thoreau to walk them home.
(c) They get lost.
(d) They go missing.
10. What are the necessities of life?
(a) Food, shelter, land, and freedom.
(b) Food, shelter, clothing, and fuel.
(c) Food, shelter, clothing, and sunlight.
(d) Love, happiness, family, and religion.
11. What did Thoreau do early in the morning?
(a) Went for a walk.
(b) Gathered food from his garden.
(c) Bathed in the pond.
(d) Read a book.
12. How much is Thoreau's profit from the bean-field?
13. What is Thoreau's shelter at Walden Pond?
(a) A tent.
(b) A cave.
(c) A small house.
(d) An abandoned shanty.
14. "The swiftest traveler is he that goes..."
(a) As the crow flies.
(b) By Train.
(c) By Horse.
15. How close is Thoreau's nearest neighbor?
(a) Two miles.
(b) One mile.
(c) Half a mile.
(d) Three miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far was Thoreau's house from Concord?
2. What is the length of Thoreau's bean rows added together?
3. What was Thoreau doing in the village when he was arrested?
4. Who exerted an influence on mankind more than kings and emperors?
5. "The adventurous student will always study..."
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)