|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does Thoreau kill and eat after it ravages his bean-field?
(a) A woodchuck.
(b) A squirrel.
(c) A raccoon.
(d) A rabbit.
2. What kind of bird does an old man tell Thoreau used to frequent the pond?
3. What is Thoreau's shelter at Walden Pond?
(a) A tent.
(b) A small house.
(c) A cave.
(d) An abandoned shanty.
4. What plant grows at the edge of the path near the end of May?
(d) The sand cherry.
5. "The adventurous student will always study..."
6. Thoreau speaks of visitors from what charitable institution?
(a) The hospital.
(b) The almshouse.
(c) The church.
(d) The Salvation Army.
7. "The mass of men lead lives of quiet..."
8. "I have never found the companion that was so companionable as..."
(b) A book.
9. What time does Thoreau begin hoeing every day?
(a) 7:00 AM.
(b) 8:00 AM.
(c) 5:00 AM.
(d) 6:00 AM.
10. What bird does Thoreau contemplate keeping merely for his music?
(a) A crow.
(b) A canary.
(c) A rooster.
(d) A screech owl.
11. What is the name of the Plymouth Colony governor who wasn't fed by the king of the tribe he visited?
12. What does Thoreau frequently do on warm evenings?
(a) Plays the flute in his boat.
(b) Fishes on the pond.
(c) Star gazes.
(d) Goes for a walk.
13. What writer does the French Canadian Woodsman love?
14. What attracted Thoreau to the farm?
(a) The house.
(b) Its crop production.
(c) Its remoteness.
(d) The landscape.
15. "Walden is a perfect forest mirror" in which season?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Thoreau's guests often do when they leave after dark?
2. How much does Thoreau spend on supplies for his bean-field?
3. When Thoreau began living in the woods, his "house was not finished, but was merely a defense against the..."
4. Who is never alone?
5. Thoreau states that fewer people came to see him at Walden Pond on...
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)