|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "I am convinced, that if all men were to live as simply as I then did, ... would be unknown."
(a) Hunger and want.
(b) Crime and lawlessness.
(c) War and conflict.
(d) Thieving and robbery.
2. What does Thoreau usually carry back to Walden Pond from the village?
(a) A bag of rye.
(b) A new book.
(c) A light heart.
(d) A loaf of bread.
3. What American institution does Thoreau state he could do without?
(a) The Church.
(b) The Government.
(c) The Railway.
(d) The Post Office.
4. Why does Thoreau reject the suggestion of owning a visitor's book?
(a) He doesn't have enough visitors.
(b) He believes it's an unnecessary luxury.
(c) He can't afford to buy one.
(d) He has a good memory.
5. What man-made device can Thoreau hear from his window?
(a) Railroad cars.
(c) Lumber mill whistle.
(d) Horse-pulled wagon.
6. What happened to Walden Pond between his childhood and the time he moved there?
(a) The spring dried up.
(b) A family of muskrats moved in.
(c) The trees on the shores were cut down.
(d) The fish were depopulated.
7. What does Thoreau hear from town in his bean-field on gala days?
(a) The train whistle.
(b) A brass band.
(c) Military gunfire.
(d) Church bells.
8. "Be it life or death, we crave only..."
9. What kind of fish is most abundant in Walden Pond?
10. What kind of bird does an old man tell Thoreau used to frequent the pond?
11. "I go and come with a strange... in Nature."
12. What does Thoreau uncover as he hoes the bean-field?
(a) Tree stumps.
(b) Buried treasure.
(c) The remains of animals.
(d) Native artifacts.
13. What item does Thoreau discover missing?
(a) His flint.
(b) A volume of Homer.
(c) His hoe.
(d) His fountain pen.
14. Of what do the smells from the train remind Thoreau?
(a) His childhood.
(b) Other parts of the world.
(c) Big city life.
(d) The destruction of nature.
15. What writer does the French Canadian Woodsman love?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Thoreau doing in the village when he was arrested?
2. "I wanted to live deeply and..."
3. What does Thoreau wage a war with in his bean-field?
4. What does Thoreau follow all the way into town?
5. Thoreau feels it isn't important to provide this for his visitors.
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)