|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Thoreau imagine doing?
(a) Buying a farm.
(b) Living off the land.
(c) Writing a book.
(d) Building a house.
2. Who exerted an influence on mankind more than kings and emperors?
3. Why is Thoreau put in jail?
(a) For not returning library books.
(b) For writing a controversial article.
(c) For failing to pay a tax.
(d) For stealing.
4. What does one Concord Trader use as a sign for his store?
(a) A Wagon Wheel.
(b) A salt fish.
(c) A Wooden plank.
(d) A bear hide.
5. Thoreau states his residence at Walden was more favorable to thought and serious reading than what institution?
(a) A university.
(b) A seminary.
(c) A think tank.
(d) A library.
6. What does Thoreau hear in the evening?
(a) The wind in the trees.
(b) Birds singing.
(c) Cows lowing.
(d) Goats bleating.
7. Why does the Canadian woodchopper read the French paper?
(a) For the news.
(b) To show off to his neighbors.
(c) For practice.
(d) For the pictures.
8. What gets struck by lighting during a heavy thunder-shower?
(a) The bean field.
(b) Thoreau's shelter.
(c) A pine tree.
(d) Walden Pond.
9. How long does Thoreau live at Walden Pond?
(a) One year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two years and two months.
(d) Three years and six months.
10. "We are underbred and low-lived and..."
11. What does Thoreau state men have lost when planting crops?
12. What does Thoreau wage a war with in his bean-field?
(d) Small Animals.
13. What do Thoreau's guests often do when they leave after dark?
(a) They spend the night at Walden Pond.
(b) They ask Thoreau to walk them home.
(c) They get lost.
(d) They go missing.
14. For what purpose does Thoreau believe most men have learned to read?
15. How much does Thoreau spend on supplies for his bean-field?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Thoreau believe intellectual societies are confined?
2. Why does Thoreau reject the suggestion of owning a visitor's book?
3. What time does Thoreau begin hoeing every day?
4. What vegetable does Thoreau plant on most of his 2 1/2 acres?
5. "In dealing with truth we are..."
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)