|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thoreau hear from town in his bean-field on gala days?
(a) Military gunfire.
(b) A brass band.
(c) Church bells.
(d) The train whistle.
2. Of what do the smells from the train remind Thoreau?
(a) The destruction of nature.
(b) Big city life.
(c) Other parts of the world.
(d) His childhood.
3. Where is Walden Pond located?
(a) Concord, Massachusetts.
(b) Portland, Oregon.
(c) Albany, New York.
(d) Keswick, England.
4. What do Thoreau's guests often do when they leave after dark?
(a) They ask Thoreau to walk them home.
(b) They go missing.
(c) They get lost.
(d) They spend the night at Walden Pond.
5. For what do Thoreau's visitors often ask him?
(a) A glass of water.
(c) A meal.
(d) A cup of coffee.
6. "The mass of men lead lives of quiet..."
7. What is the morning?
(a) The awakening hour.
(b) A spritual moment.
(c) A time for poets.
(d) A time for reflection.
8. What birds does Thoreau hear regularly during the summer at 7:30pm?
9. What does Thoreau follow all the way into town?
(a) Road signs.
(b) A wooded path.
(c) A river.
(d) The railroad.
10. How much is Thoreau's profit from the bean-field?
11. Which book are most men satisfied by reading or having read to them?
(a) Virgil's Aeneid.
(b) The Farmer's Almanac.
(c) The Bible.
(d) Shakespeare's Sonnets.
12. What was Thoreau doing in the village when he was arrested?
(a) Buying a newspaper.
(b) Having a drink at the bar-room.
(c) Picking up a shoe from the cobbler's.
(d) Selling beans.
13. According to legend, after whom was Walden Pond named?
(a) A hunter.
(b) A town official.
(c) An old Indian woman.
(d) The original owner of the property.
14. What does Thoreau usually carry back to Walden Pond from the village?
(a) A loaf of bread.
(b) A light heart.
(c) A new book.
(d) A bag of rye.
15. What does Thoreau uncover as he hoes the bean-field?
(a) Buried treasure.
(b) Tree stumps.
(c) Native artifacts.
(d) The remains of animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thoreau state was a pleasant pastime?
2. How long does Thoreau live at Walden Pond?
3. What happened to Walden Pond between his childhood and the time he moved there?
4. What was the name of the family Thoreau bought a farm from and then returned the ownership to them?
5. What does Thoreau wage a war with in his bean-field?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)