|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who exerted an influence on mankind more than kings and emperors?
2. What does Thoreau state was a pleasant pastime?
(a) Visiting friends.
(b) The theater.
(c) Listening to music.
3. According to legend, after whom was Walden Pond named?
(a) The original owner of the property.
(b) A hunter.
(c) An old Indian woman.
(d) A town official.
4. What did Thoreau do during his first summer at Walden Pond?
(a) Wrote a book.
(b) Read Books.
(c) Hoed beans.
(d) Studied Philosophy.
5. "I am convinced, that if all men were to live as simply as I then did, ... would be unknown."
(a) Hunger and want.
(b) Thieving and robbery.
(c) War and conflict.
(d) Crime and lawlessness.
6. Thoreau feels it isn't important to provide this for his visitors.
(a) A place to sit.
7. Thoreau speaks of visitors from what charitable institution?
(a) The hospital.
(b) The almshouse.
(c) The Salvation Army.
(d) The church.
8. What does Thoreau claim is the cure for his ailments?
(d) Morning air.
9. What is Thoreau's net income from his farm?
10. Some of Thoreau's pleasantest hours are spent during this kind of weather:
(c) Sun showers.
11. Which building is NOT listed by Thoreau as a vital building in the village?
(b) Post Office.
12. Who does Thoreau help toward the north star?
(a) A runaway slave.
(b) A railroad employee.
(c) A woodsman.
(d) A farmer.
13. What bird does Thoreau contemplate keeping merely for his music?
(a) A crow.
(b) A screech owl.
(c) A rooster.
(d) A canary.
14. What attracted Thoreau to the farm?
(a) Its crop production.
(b) The house.
(c) The landscape.
(d) Its remoteness.
15. "The true husbandman will cease from..."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who carried the Iliad with him on his expeditions?
2. What does Thoreau frequently do on warm evenings?
3. What is the name of the Plymouth Colony governor who wasn't fed by the king of the tribe he visited?
4. What do Thoreau's guests often do when they leave after dark?
5. What plant grows at the edge of the path near the end of May?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)