|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does one Concord Trader use as a sign for his store?
(a) A Wooden plank.
(b) A salt fish.
(c) A Wagon Wheel.
(d) A bear hide.
2. What frequently notifies Thoreau of a passing traveler along the highway?
(a) The smell of a pipe.
(b) The sound of laughter.
(c) Footprints and broken tree branches.
(d) Flashing lights.
3. Who carried the Iliad with him on his expeditions?
(a) Edmund Hillary.
(b) Captain James Cook.
4. What does Thoreau state was a pleasant pastime?
(b) Visiting friends.
(c) The theater.
(d) Listening to music.
5. What does Thoreau think Concord should become?
(a) A patron of the fine arts.
(b) A town of historical significance.
(c) A major railway stop.
(d) A tourist town.
6. What birds does Thoreau hear regularly during the summer at 7:30pm?
7. What does Thoreau uncover as he hoes the bean-field?
(a) Tree stumps.
(b) Buried treasure.
(c) Native artifacts.
(d) The remains of animals.
8. How many chairs does Thoreau have in his house?
9. What did Thoreau imagine doing?
(a) Living off the land.
(b) Writing a book.
(c) Buying a farm.
(d) Building a house.
10. "In dealing with truth we are..."
11. Why does the Canadian woodchopper read the French paper?
(a) For the news.
(b) For practice.
(c) For the pictures.
(d) To show off to his neighbors.
12. What vegetable does Thoreau plant on most of his 2 1/2 acres?
13. What is the morning?
(a) A time for poets.
(b) A time for reflection.
(c) The awakening hour.
(d) A spritual moment.
14. Which animal is one of "Nature's Watchmen"?
15. "The adventurous student will always study..."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thoreau state men have lost when planting crops?
2. How long does Thoreau stay in jail?
3. What does Thoreau sometimes hear on Sundays?
4. "Walden is a perfect forest mirror" in which season?
5. "Be it life or death, we crave only..."
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)