|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Thoreau believe intellectual societies are confined?
(a) New York.
(c) Literary circles.
(d) Paris and Oxford.
2. How far was Thoreau's house from Concord?
(a) 1 1/2 miles.
(b) 2 1/2 miles.
(c) 5 miles.
(d) 3 miles.
3. "The mass of men lead lives of quiet..."
4. Some of Thoreau's pleasantest hours are spent during this kind of weather:
(d) Sun showers.
5. What does Thoreau usually do after hoeing?
(a) Rests in the shade.
(b) Talks to his neighbor.
(c) Swims in the pond.
(d) Goes for a walk.
6. What does Thoreau follow all the way into town?
(a) The railroad.
(b) A wooded path.
(c) A river.
(d) Road signs.
7. What was the name of the family Thoreau bought a farm from and then returned the ownership to them?
8. What attracted Thoreau to the farm?
(a) The landscape.
(b) Its remoteness.
(c) The house.
(d) Its crop production.
9. What did Thoreau imagine doing?
(a) Living off the land.
(b) Building a house.
(c) Writing a book.
(d) Buying a farm.
10. "We are underbred and low-lived and..."
11. What does one Concord Trader use as a sign for his store?
(a) A Wagon Wheel.
(b) A salt fish.
(c) A bear hide.
(d) A Wooden plank.
12. Thoreau hates the name of what local pond ?
(a) Fish Pond.
(b) Mill Pond.
(c) Flint's Pond.
(d) White Pond.
13. Which animal is one of "Nature's Watchmen"?
14. What plant grows at the edge of the path near the end of May?
(b) The sand cherry.
15. What does Thoreau like to have between himself and a conversation partner?
(a) The pond.
(b) A space of at least 2 feet.
(c) A bottle of wine.
(d) A Table.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thoreau usually carry back to Walden Pond from the village?
2. What was Thoreau doing in the village when he was arrested?
3. What are the necessities of life?
4. How does Thoreau often find his way home in the dark?
5. What is Thoreau's shelter at Walden Pond?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)