|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thoreau calls the train an "iron..."
2. What is the name of the Plymouth Colony governor who wasn't fed by the king of the tribe he visited?
3. What kind of bird does an old man tell Thoreau used to frequent the pond?
4. "I believe that men are generally still a little afraid of..."
(a) Their imaginations.
(b) The devil.
(c) The dark.
5. What fruit never reaches Boston?
6. "I have never found the companion that was so companionable as..."
(a) A book.
7. "We are underbred and low-lived and..."
8. Thoreau states that fewer people came to see him at Walden Pond on...
(a) False Pretenses.
(b) Trivial business.
(c) Religious Missions.
(d) Charity Work.
9. How many chairs does Thoreau have in his house?
10. What does Thoreau hope to avoid by harvesting early?
(c) Loss to animals.
11. "The swiftest traveler is he that goes..."
(a) As the crow flies.
(b) By Train.
(d) By Horse.
12. What did Thoreau do early in the morning?
(a) Went for a walk.
(b) Gathered food from his garden.
(c) Bathed in the pond.
(d) Read a book.
13. Who carried the Iliad with him on his expeditions?
(a) Captain James Cook.
(b) Edmund Hillary.
14. What frequently notifies Thoreau of a passing traveler along the highway?
(a) The sound of laughter.
(b) The smell of a pipe.
(c) Flashing lights.
(d) Footprints and broken tree branches.
15. "The mass of men lead lives of quiet..."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thoreau follow all the way into town?
2. In what does Thoreau claim to have indulged very little?
3. Which animal is one of "Nature's Watchmen"?
4. What does Thoreau sometimes hear on Sundays?
5. "I wanted to live deeply and..."
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)