|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "I believe that men are generally still a little afraid of..."
(b) The dark.
(c) The devil.
(d) Their imaginations.
2. What vegetable does Thoreau plant on most of his 2 1/2 acres?
3. What does Thoreau see in the clear water of the pond one November day?
(a) A school of perch.
(b) A muskrat family.
(c) A heron.
(d) A large turtle.
4. How much does Thoreau spend on supplies for his bean-field?
5. According to legend, after whom was Walden Pond named?
(a) A town official.
(b) The original owner of the property.
(c) An old Indian woman.
(d) A hunter.
6. Thoreau feels it isn't important to provide this for his visitors.
(c) A place to sit.
7. Why does the Canadian woodchopper read the French paper?
(a) For the pictures.
(b) For the news.
(c) To show off to his neighbors.
(d) For practice.
8. Where is Walden Pond located?
(a) Concord, Massachusetts.
(b) Keswick, England.
(c) Portland, Oregon.
(d) Albany, New York.
9. Who is never alone?
(a) The devil.
(b) A writer.
(c) A hermit.
(d) An angel.
10. "I wanted to live deeply and..."
(a) Experience everything the world offered.
(b) To the fullest.
(c) Like each day was my last.
(d) Suck out all the marrow if life.
11. Which book are most men satisfied by reading or having read to them?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Virgil's Aeneid.
(c) The Farmer's Almanac.
(d) Shakespeare's Sonnets.
12. In total, how much does it cost for Thoreau to build his house?
13. When did Thoreau begin to live in the woods?
(a) Martin Luther King Day, 1845.
(b) Memorial Day, 1847.
(c) Christmas Day, 1846.
(d) Independence Day, 1845.
14. Where does Thoreau believe intellectual societies are confined?
(a) New York.
(c) Literary circles.
(d) Paris and Oxford.
15. For what do Thoreau's visitors often ask him?
(a) A glass of water.
(b) A cup of coffee.
(c) A meal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Thoreau imagine doing?
2. What item does Thoreau discover missing?
3. How many chairs does Thoreau have in his house?
4. "The swiftest traveler is he that goes..."
5. What does Thoreau follow all the way into town?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)