|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the family Thoreau bought a farm from and then returned the ownership to them?
2. Why is Thoreau put in jail?
(a) For failing to pay a tax.
(b) For not returning library books.
(c) For writing a controversial article.
(d) For stealing.
3. "I believe that men are generally still a little afraid of..."
(a) Their imaginations.
(c) The dark.
(d) The devil.
4. What does Thoreau usually do after hoeing?
(a) Talks to his neighbor.
(b) Swims in the pond.
(c) Rests in the shade.
(d) Goes for a walk.
5. Which building is NOT listed by Thoreau as a vital building in the village?
(b) Post Office.
6. "Walden is a perfect forest mirror" in which season?
7. How many chairs does Thoreau have in his house?
8. "Objects of charity are not..."
9. What does Thoreau wage a war with in his bean-field?
(b) Small Animals.
10. What happened to Walden Pond between his childhood and the time he moved there?
(a) The spring dried up.
(b) A family of muskrats moved in.
(c) The fish were depopulated.
(d) The trees on the shores were cut down.
11. What does one Concord Trader use as a sign for his store?
(a) A bear hide.
(b) A Wooden plank.
(c) A salt fish.
(d) A Wagon Wheel.
12. What does Thoreau state men have lost when planting crops?
13. What bird does Thoreau contemplate keeping merely for his music?
(a) A screech owl.
(b) A canary.
(c) A crow.
(d) A rooster.
14. Some of Thoreau's pleasantest hours are spent during this kind of weather:
(b) Sun showers.
15. "I go and come with a strange... in Nature."
Short Answer Questions
1. What attracted Thoreau to the farm?
2. "The village appeared to me a great..."
3. What is Thoreau's net income from his farm?
4. "Be it life or death, we crave only..."
5. "In dealing with truth we are..."
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)