|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who carried the Iliad with him on his expeditions?
(b) Captain James Cook.
(d) Edmund Hillary.
2. "The true husbandman will cease from..."
3. What does one Concord Trader use as a sign for his store?
(a) A salt fish.
(b) A Wooden plank.
(c) A Wagon Wheel.
(d) A bear hide.
4. How long does Thoreau live at Walden Pond?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two years and two months.
(c) One year.
(d) Three years and six months.
5. Of what do the smells from the train remind Thoreau?
(a) Other parts of the world.
(b) The destruction of nature.
(c) Big city life.
(d) His childhood.
6. How many chairs does Thoreau have in his house?
7. "I believe that men are generally still a little afraid of..."
(a) The dark.
(b) Their imaginations.
(c) The devil.
8. What is Thoreau's shelter at Walden Pond?
(a) A cave.
(b) A tent.
(c) An abandoned shanty.
(d) A small house.
9. What is Thoreau's net income from his farm?
10. "We are underbred and low-lived and..."
11. "As long as possible live free and..."
12. Thoreau speaks of visitors from what charitable institution?
(a) The church.
(b) The Salvation Army.
(c) The almshouse.
(d) The hospital.
13. "Walden is a perfect forest mirror" in which season?
14. What does Thoreau claim is the cure for his ailments?
(c) Morning air.
15. "The swiftest traveler is he that goes..."
(a) By Horse.
(b) As the crow flies.
(d) By Train.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Thoreau go to the village?
2. Which building is NOT listed by Thoreau as a vital building in the village?
3. What animals ate out of the hands of the woodsman?
4. Why does Thoreau reject the suggestion of owning a visitor's book?
5. How does Thoreau often find his way home in the dark?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)