|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Be it life or death, we crave only..."
2. What item does Thoreau discover missing?
(a) A volume of Homer.
(b) His fountain pen.
(c) His flint.
(d) His hoe.
3. What man-made device can Thoreau hear from his window?
(b) Horse-pulled wagon.
(c) Railroad cars.
(d) Lumber mill whistle.
4. What are the necessities of life?
(a) Love, happiness, family, and religion.
(b) Food, shelter, clothing, and fuel.
(c) Food, shelter, land, and freedom.
(d) Food, shelter, clothing, and sunlight.
5. What happened to Walden Pond between his childhood and the time he moved there?
(a) The trees on the shores were cut down.
(b) The fish were depopulated.
(c) A family of muskrats moved in.
(d) The spring dried up.
6. What was the name of the family Thoreau bought a farm from and then returned the ownership to them?
7. What is the morning?
(a) A time for reflection.
(b) A spritual moment.
(c) The awakening hour.
(d) A time for poets.
8. Thoreau states that fewer people came to see him at Walden Pond on...
(a) Trivial business.
(b) Religious Missions.
(c) False Pretenses.
(d) Charity Work.
9. How long does Thoreau stay in jail?
(a) A month.
(b) One day.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) One week.
10. Why does Thoreau reject the suggestion of owning a visitor's book?
(a) He believes it's an unnecessary luxury.
(b) He can't afford to buy one.
(c) He doesn't have enough visitors.
(d) He has a good memory.
11. What bird sings to Thoreau as he works in the bean-field?
(a) A Sparrow.
(b) A Brown Thrasher.
(c) A Finch.
(d) A Robin.
12. When Thoreau began living in the woods, his "house was not finished, but was merely a defense against the..."
13. How close is Thoreau's nearest neighbor?
(a) One mile.
(b) Three miles.
(c) Half a mile.
(d) Two miles.
14. When did Thoreau begin to live in the woods?
(a) Martin Luther King Day, 1845.
(b) Memorial Day, 1847.
(c) Christmas Day, 1846.
(d) Independence Day, 1845.
15. Thoreau calls the train an "iron..."
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Thoreau feel sympathy?
2. What is Thoreau's shelter at Walden Pond?
3. "As long as possible live free and..."
4. How does Thoreau often find his way home in the dark?
5. What do Thoreau's guests often do when they leave after dark?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)