Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - Chapter 1
1. Why does Thoreau decide to live such an isolated life at Walden Pond?
2. What benefits does Thoreau say he gains from simplifying his existence?
3. What reaction do the people of Concord have to Thoreau's lifestyle?
4. Does Thoreau believe this is a practical way that everyone can live?
Short Essay Question - Chapter 2
5. Why does Thoreau advocate living "free and uncommitted"?
6. How does Thoreau describe the piece of land he lives on?
7. What does...
This section contains 748 words|
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)