|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Thoreau reject the suggestion of owning a visitor's book?
(a) He has a good memory.
(b) He can't afford to buy one.
(c) He believes it's an unnecessary luxury.
(d) He doesn't have enough visitors.
2. To what howling animal does Thoreau compare the loon?
(a) A jackal.
(b) A dog.
(c) A coyote.
(d) A wolf.
3. "He that does not eat need not..."
4. What does Thoreau state men have lost when planting crops?
5. What does Thoreau see in the clear water of the pond one November day?
(a) A heron.
(b) A large turtle.
(c) A school of perch.
(d) A muskrat family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Thoreau kill and eat after it ravages his bean-field?
2. Thoreau states his residence at Walden was more favorable to thought and serious reading than what institution?
3. What is Thoreau's net income from his farm?
4. What man-made device can Thoreau hear from his window?
5. "I have never found the companion that was so companionable as..."
This section contains 188 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)