|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what do the smells from the train remind Thoreau?
(a) His childhood.
(b) The destruction of nature.
(c) Other parts of the world.
(d) Big city life.
2. What happens when Thoreau goes fishing?
(a) He is at peace.
(b) He mourns the death of the fish.
(c) He has less self-respect.
(d) He feels pride.
3. Thoreau states that fewer people came to see him at Walden Pond on...
(a) Charity Work.
(b) Trivial business.
(c) False Pretenses.
(d) Religious Missions.
4. What gets struck by lighting during a heavy thunder-shower?
(a) A pine tree.
(b) Thoreau's shelter.
(c) The bean field.
(d) Walden Pond.
5. In total, how much does it cost for Thoreau to build his house?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where have loons been caught with fishing hooks, eighty feet below the water's surface?
2. What does Thoreau state men have lost when planting crops?
3. Who exerted an influence on mankind more than kings and emperors?
4. "The mass of men lead lives of quiet..."
5. What does Thoreau hope will happen if John Field reads his book?
This section contains 196 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)