|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "I am convinced, that if all men were to live as simply as I then did, ... would be unknown."
(a) Thieving and robbery.
(b) Hunger and want.
(c) War and conflict.
(d) Crime and lawlessness.
2. What did Thoreau do during his first summer at Walden Pond?
(a) Hoed beans.
(b) Read Books.
(c) Studied Philosophy.
(d) Wrote a book.
3. What is Thoreau's shelter at Walden Pond?
(a) A small house.
(b) An abandoned shanty.
(c) A cave.
(d) A tent.
4. What does one Concord Trader use as a sign for his store?
(a) A salt fish.
(b) A Wooden plank.
(c) A bear hide.
(d) A Wagon Wheel.
5. Of what do the smells from the train remind Thoreau?
(a) Big city life.
(b) Other parts of the world.
(c) The destruction of nature.
(d) His childhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. "We are underbred and low-lived and..."
2. In what does Thoreau claim to have indulged very little?
3. What does Thoreau follow all the way into town?
4. For what do Thoreau's visitors often ask him?
5. "The mass of men lead lives of quiet..."
This section contains 189 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)