|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bird sings to Thoreau as he works in the bean-field?
(a) A Finch.
(b) A Brown Thrasher.
(c) A Sparrow.
(d) A Robin.
2. How does Thoreau often find his way home in the dark?
(a) He ties a rope along the path.
(b) He looks up at the opening between the trees above the path.
(c) He uses a walking stick.
(d) He uses a torch.
3. Who does Thoreau help toward the north star?
(a) A runaway slave.
(b) A woodsman.
(c) A railroad employee.
(d) A farmer.
4. What plant grows at the edge of the path near the end of May?
(d) The sand cherry.
5. What gets struck by lighting during a heavy thunder-shower?
(a) The bean field.
(b) A pine tree.
(c) Thoreau's shelter.
(d) Walden Pond.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thoreau state was a pleasant pastime?
2. What bird does Thoreau contemplate keeping merely for his music?
3. Who exerted an influence on mankind more than kings and emperors?
4. What vegetable does Thoreau plant on most of his 2 1/2 acres?
5. Which building is NOT listed by Thoreau as a vital building in the village?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)