|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the morning?
(a) A spritual moment.
(b) A time for poets.
(c) A time for reflection.
(d) The awakening hour.
2. "The mass of men lead lives of quiet..."
3. Why does the Canadian woodchopper read the French paper?
(a) To show off to his neighbors.
(b) For the pictures.
(c) For practice.
(d) For the news.
4. Which book are most men satisfied by reading or having read to them?
(a) Virgil's Aeneid.
(b) The Farmer's Almanac.
(c) The Bible.
(d) Shakespeare's Sonnets.
5. Thoreau states his residence at Walden was more favorable to thought and serious reading than what institution?
(a) A library.
(b) A seminary.
(c) A university.
(d) A think tank.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who carried the Iliad with him on his expeditions?
2. "We are underbred and low-lived and..."
3. What did Thoreau do during his first summer at Walden Pond?
4. What does Thoreau claim is the cure for his ailments?
5. "The village appeared to me a great..."
This section contains 174 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)