|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Thoreau's shelter at Walden Pond?
(a) An abandoned shanty.
(b) A cave.
(c) A tent.
(d) A small house.
2. "The true husbandman will cease from..."
3. "I am convinced, that if all men were to live as simply as I then did, ... would be unknown."
(a) War and conflict.
(b) Hunger and want.
(c) Crime and lawlessness.
(d) Thieving and robbery.
4. Of what do the smells from the train remind Thoreau?
(a) Other parts of the world.
(b) Big city life.
(c) His childhood.
(d) The destruction of nature.
5. What did Thoreau do during his first summer at Walden Pond?
(a) Hoed beans.
(b) Read Books.
(c) Studied Philosophy.
(d) Wrote a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the necessities of life?
2. What did Thoreau do early in the morning?
3. "I have never found the companion that was so companionable as..."
4. "The mass of men lead lives of quiet..."
5. What American institution does Thoreau state he could do without?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)