|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thoreau think Concord should become?
(a) A patron of the fine arts.
(b) A tourist town.
(c) A major railway stop.
(d) A town of historical significance.
2. What book does Thoreau keep on his table throughout the summer?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Milton's Paradise Lost.
(c) Homer's Iliad.
(d) Cervantes' Don Quixote.
3. Who carried the Iliad with him on his expeditions?
(a) Captain James Cook.
(d) Edmund Hillary.
4. "We are underbred and low-lived and..."
5. What birds does Thoreau hear regularly during the summer at 7:30pm?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thoreau claim is the cure for his ailments?
2. What does Thoreau sometimes hear on Sundays?
3. Where does Thoreau believe intellectual societies are confined?
4. "The adventurous student will always study..."
5. What American institution does Thoreau state he could do without?
This section contains 165 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)