|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Thoreau begin to live in the woods?
(a) Martin Luther King Day, 1845.
(b) Independence Day, 1845.
(c) Memorial Day, 1847.
(d) Christmas Day, 1846.
2. For what purpose does Thoreau believe most men have learned to read?
3. Why does the Canadian woodchopper read the French paper?
(a) To show off to his neighbors.
(b) For practice.
(c) For the pictures.
(d) For the news.
4. What is Thoreau's shelter at Walden Pond?
(a) A tent.
(b) An abandoned shanty.
(c) A small house.
(d) A cave.
5. "The swiftest traveler is he that goes..."
(a) As the crow flies.
(c) By Train.
(d) By Horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The adventurous student will always study..."
2. On what pond does Thoreau live on the shore?
3. Who carried the Iliad with him on his expeditions?
4. What did Thoreau do early in the morning?
5. What attracted Thoreau to the farm?
This section contains 173 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)