|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Thoreau imagine doing?
(a) Living off the land.
(b) Buying a farm.
(c) Building a house.
(d) Writing a book.
2. "As long as possible live free and..."
3. How far was Thoreau's house from Concord?
(a) 3 miles.
(b) 5 miles.
(c) 1 1/2 miles.
(d) 2 1/2 miles.
4. Who exerted an influence on mankind more than kings and emperors?
5. Which book are most men satisfied by reading or having read to them?
(a) Shakespeare's Sonnets.
(b) Virgil's Aeneid.
(c) The Farmer's Almanac.
(d) The Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thoreau states his residence at Walden was more favorable to thought and serious reading than what institution?
2. What attracted Thoreau to the farm?
3. Where does Thoreau believe intellectual societies are confined?
4. When did Thoreau begin to live in the woods?
5. "The mass of men lead lives of quiet..."
This section contains 165 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)