|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which book are most men satisfied by reading or having read to them?
(a) The Farmer's Almanac.
(b) Shakespeare's Sonnets.
(c) The Bible.
(d) Virgil's Aeneid.
2. When did Thoreau begin to live in the woods?
(a) Christmas Day, 1846.
(b) Memorial Day, 1847.
(c) Independence Day, 1845.
(d) Martin Luther King Day, 1845.
3. What is Thoreau's shelter at Walden Pond?
(a) A small house.
(b) A cave.
(c) A tent.
(d) An abandoned shanty.
4. What attracted Thoreau to the farm?
(a) The landscape.
(b) Its remoteness.
(c) Its crop production.
(d) The house.
5. "In dealing with truth we are..."
Short Answer Questions
1. For what purpose does Thoreau believe most men have learned to read?
2. In what does Thoreau claim to have indulged very little?
3. What vegetable does Thoreau plant on most of his 2 1/2 acres?
4. "The adventurous student will always study..."
5. What was the name of the family Thoreau bought a farm from and then returned the ownership to them?
This section contains 160 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)