|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far was Thoreau's house from Concord?
(a) 3 miles.
(b) 2 1/2 miles.
(c) 1 1/2 miles.
(d) 5 miles.
2. What are the necessities of life?
(a) Food, shelter, land, and freedom.
(b) Food, shelter, clothing, and sunlight.
(c) Food, shelter, clothing, and fuel.
(d) Love, happiness, family, and religion.
3. Where is Walden Pond located?
(a) Albany, New York.
(b) Concord, Massachusetts.
(c) Keswick, England.
(d) Portland, Oregon.
4. What did Thoreau imagine doing?
(a) Living off the land.
(b) Writing a book.
(c) Building a house.
(d) Buying a farm.
5. Thoreau states his residence at Walden was more favorable to thought and serious reading than what institution?
(a) A think tank.
(b) A university.
(c) A seminary.
(d) A library.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does Thoreau claim to have indulged very little?
2. What American institution does Thoreau state he could do without?
3. What book does Thoreau keep on his table throughout the summer?
4. What does Thoreau think Concord should become?
5. Who carried the Iliad with him on his expeditions?
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)