|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "The mass of men lead lives of quiet..."
2. What American institution does Thoreau state he could do without?
(a) The Government.
(b) The Post Office.
(c) The Church.
(d) The Railway.
3. What book does Thoreau keep on his table throughout the summer?
(a) Homer's Iliad.
(b) Milton's Paradise Lost.
(c) The Bible.
(d) Cervantes' Don Quixote.
4. When did Thoreau begin to live in the woods?
(a) Christmas Day, 1846.
(b) Independence Day, 1845.
(c) Martin Luther King Day, 1845.
(d) Memorial Day, 1847.
5. Who carried the Iliad with him on his expeditions?
(b) Edmund Hillary.
(d) Captain James Cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Thoreau imagine doing?
2. What is Thoreau's shelter at Walden Pond?
3. Why does the Canadian woodchopper read the French paper?
4. Where is Walden Pond located?
5. Where does Thoreau believe intellectual societies are confined?
This section contains 175 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)