|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Thoreau put in jail?
(a) For writing a controversial article.
(b) For stealing.
(c) For failing to pay a tax.
(d) For not returning library books.
2. When Thoreau began living in the woods, his "house was not finished, but was merely a defense against the..."
3. What does Thoreau hope will happen if John Field reads his book?
(a) He will learn how to fish.
(b) He will move to a different town.
(c) He will come over for dinner.
(d) He will improve himself.
4. What was Thoreau doing in the village when he was arrested?
(a) Having a drink at the bar-room.
(b) Selling beans.
(c) Buying a newspaper.
(d) Picking up a shoe from the cobbler's.
5. Why does Thoreau reject the suggestion of owning a visitor's book?
(a) He has a good memory.
(b) He can't afford to buy one.
(c) He doesn't have enough visitors.
(d) He believes it's an unnecessary luxury.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thoreau like to have between himself and a conversation partner?
2. What do Thoreau's guests often do when they leave after dark?
3. When did Thoreau begin to live in the woods?
4. What American institution does Thoreau state he could do without?
5. Of what do the smells from the train remind Thoreau?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)