|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to legend, after whom was Walden Pond named?
(a) An old Indian woman.
(b) A hunter.
(c) The original owner of the property.
(d) A town official.
2. What happened to a settler's family in Sutton in 1717?
(a) They were forced off their land by a flood.
(b) Their house burned down.
(c) Their cottage was completely buried in snow.
(d) They couldn't pay their taxes and were forced to move.
3. Which bird does Thoreau doubt has ever profaned Walden Pond?
(a) A pigeon.
(b) A finch.
(c) A seagull.
(d) A sparrow.
4. For what does Thoreau feel sympathy?
(a) Prowling animals.
(b) Tree leaves.
(c) Singing birds.
(d) Withering flowers.
5. What does Thoreau claim is the cure for his ailments?
(d) Morning air.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Walden is a perfect forest mirror" in which season?
2. Who is never alone?
3. What animal's sound ushers in the night?
4. What happened to Walden Pond between his childhood and the time he moved there?
5. "I go and come with a strange... in Nature."
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)