|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was it rumored that Col. Quoil had been a soldier?
(b) Hong Kong.
(c) Upper Canada.
(d) New Orleans.
2. What frequently notifies Thoreau of a passing traveler along the highway?
(a) The sound of laughter.
(b) Flashing lights.
(c) Footprints and broken tree branches.
(d) The smell of a pipe.
3. What animal's sound ushers in the night?
(a) The whip-poor-will's cry.
(b) The bullfrog's trump.
(c) The hawk's scream.
(d) The coyote's yelp.
4. "I have never found the companion that was so companionable as..."
(b) A book.
5. What happened to a settler's family in Sutton in 1717?
(a) They were forced off their land by a flood.
(b) They couldn't pay their taxes and were forced to move.
(c) Their house burned down.
(d) Their cottage was completely buried in snow.
Short Answer Questions
1. How close is Thoreau's nearest neighbor?
2. What does Thoreau do to pass the time on winter evenings?
3. Who came the farthest to visit Thoreau in the winter?
4. "I go and come with a strange... in Nature."
5. What does Thoreau claim is the cure for his ailments?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)