|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Thoreau feel sympathy?
(a) Prowling animals.
(b) Withering flowers.
(c) Singing birds.
(d) Tree leaves.
2. What winter bird does Thoreau amuse himself by watching?
(a) A barred owl.
(b) A chickadee.
(c) A blue jay.
(d) A cardinal.
3. What happened to a settler's family in Sutton in 1717?
(a) They couldn't pay their taxes and were forced to move.
(b) They were forced off their land by a flood.
(c) Their cottage was completely buried in snow.
(d) Their house burned down.
4. According to legend, after whom was Walden Pond named?
(a) A town official.
(b) A hunter.
(c) An old Indian woman.
(d) The original owner of the property.
5. Who came the farthest to visit Thoreau in the winter?
(a) A hunter.
(b) A poet.
(c) A reporter.
(d) A farmer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thoreau frequently do on warm evenings?
2. "I have never found the companion that was so companionable as..."
3. What gets struck by lighting during a heavy thunder-shower?
4. What does Thoreau see in the clear water of the pond one November day?
5. What animal's sound ushers in the night?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)