* Thoreau outlines his purpose and project.
* He describes the benefits of simplifying one's life.
* He discusses the necessities of life.
* He records exactly how much money he spent setting up his new life.
* Thoreau describes his cabin's location.
* He explains the philosophy of 'deliberate living.'
* He discusses the disadvantages of a materialistic existence.
* Thoreau discusses the benefits of reading classical literature.
* He advocates reading the classics in their original language.
* He despairs of the lack of culture and intellect in Concord.
* He hopes that one day Concord will have a university, or support the arts.
* Thoreau discusses the sounds he hears in his relatively isolated location.
* He list the man-made sounds that he cannot escape, such as the railway, church bells, and bells and whistles.
* He states his dissatisfaction with the railroad's destruction of nature.
* He discusses the animal noises that constantly surround...
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)