Chapter abstracts are short descriptions of events that occur in each chapter. They highlight major plot events and detail the important relationships and characteristics of characters and objects. The Chapter Abstracts can be used to review what the students have read, or to prepare the students for what they will read. Hand the abstracts out in class as a study guide, or use them as a "key" for a class discussion. They are relatively brief, but can serve to be an excellent refresher of the text for either a student or teacher.
Chapter 1 Abstract
* Thoreau outlines his purpose and project.
* He describes the benefits of simplifying one's life.
* He discusses the necessities of life.
* He records exactly how much money he spent setting up his new life.
Chapter 2 Abstract
* Thoreau describes his cabin's location.
* He explains the philosophy of 'deliberate living.'
* He discusses the disadvantages of a...
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)