|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pozzo tells Estragon and Vladimir that the reason Lucky won't put the packages down is that Lucky wants to
2. Vladimir tells Estragon that if they hang themselves from the tree, they will have
3. Several times during the beginning of the first act, Vladimir keeps taking off and putting back on his
4. When Estragon complains that he will never walk again, Vladimir tells Estragon that, if necessary, he will
5. In Act 1, Pozzo asks Estragon and Vladimir how he can help them since they are having such a dull time. Estragon tells Pozzo
Short Essay Questions
1. Estragon and Vladimir still want to know why Lucky doesn't put done all the parcels. What does Pozzo finally tell them?
2. How do Pozzo and Lucky first enter the stage and why do you think Beckett creates their characters this way?
3. What happens when Estragon tries to help Lucky when is is crying?
4. How does Estragon react in Act II when he decided to kick Lucky and ended up hurting his foot in the process?
5. What is the subject of Vladimir's song, and why do you think Beckett used this particular song?
6. In Act I, Estragon and Vladimir have a long conversation about waiting for Godot and their helplessness. Finally, Estragon exclaims he is hungry! What food does Vladimir offer Estragon, and what food does he actually produce? Why might Beckett chose these particular foods?
7. Why do you think Beckett uses the moon to illuminate the stage? Remember that moonlight is different than sunlight and that the moon becomes part of the play in the same way that the tree does.
8. Estragon and Vladimir talk about the tree again in Act II and the possibility of hanging themselves. They realize they need rope. What do they consider as a possible solution, and what is the problem with that?
9. Pozzo wants to rouse Lucky and suggests that someone go and kick him to get his attention. Estragon is reluctant to approach him because the last time he did, Lucky kicked him. What does Vladimir tell Estragon?
10. Estragon and Vladimir frequently fall asleep throughout the play. Why do you think Beckett uses that as a thread throughout the play.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you feel you are most like or unlike? Which of your personality characteristics and the personality characteristics of the character you chose support your belief?
Essay Topic 2
There is almost nothing on the stage with the actors. There are very few props. How do you think this contributes to the overall feeling of the play? Why do you think Beckett used a bare tree on the stage? Why do you think that in the second act it has a few leaves? What point was Beckett trying to make, and how do you think it contributed to his overall message?
Essay Topic 3
Twice, Estragon awakes from a dream. Both times, he tries to tell Vladimir about the dream, but Vladimir refuses to listen. Why do you feel that Vladimir doesn't want to hear Estragon's dreams? What do you think Beckett was trying to say about dreams, and how do you think this contributes to Beckett's story?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)