|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pozzo tells Estragon to give Lucky his hat so Lucky can entertain them, Estragon says
2. Estragon and Vladimir want to find out why Lucky won't put his packages down. Finally, Pozzo understands the question and tells them that Lucky
3. During the first part of Act I, Estragon keeps looking for something that he doesn't find in what?
4. Vladimir and Estragon talk about the crucifixion of Jesus and the different views of the four Evangelists who record that event. What is the topic that is described differently between the four Evangelists?
5. The main characters call each other
Short Essay Questions
1. What is different about the tree as the second act opens, and how does this contribute to the mood of the play?
2. In Act II, what does Estragon remember about Lucky and Pozzo from the day before and why?
3. What does Pozzo tell Estragon and Vladimir about tears and laughter?
4. How does Pozzo feel about meeting new people?
5. Vladimir is closely associated with a particular prop. What is that prop? Why do you think Beckett chose that prop and what does it contribute to the play?
6. Estragon and Vladimir frequently fall asleep throughout the play. Why do you think Beckett uses that as a thread throughout the play.
7. After Estragon and Vladimir help Pozzo get up in Act II, Pozzo asks them if they are his friends. How do Estragon and Vladimir respond?
8. When Pozzo reveals he is blind and is afraid because he can't see, who does he think Estragon and Vladimir might be?
9. After Estragon and Vladimir talk about the fact that Estragon got beaten again, Vladimir finally notices the tree. They have another discussion about the tree. What is interesting to note about Vladimir's observation versus the reality of the tree?
10. When Vladimir wakes Estragon up in Act II and he finds Lucky's hat, what does Vladimir suggests they do to pass the time?
Essay Topic 1
Does Godot exist? Why do you feel the way you do? Is there any supporting evidence in the play? If you feel that Godot does exist, is Godot God? Why do you feel the way you do?
Essay Topic 2
Estragon is beaten during the two nights the play covers. He seems to accept the beatings as a part of life. What do you think Beckett was trying to say? Keep in mind that when Vladimir tells Estragon he would have stopped the beating, he doesn't mean that he would have stopped the people who beat Estragon, but that he would stop Estragon from doing whatever he had done to antagonize those who beat him.
Essay Topic 3
Beckett has very few stage directions. He makes a point of describing the rising of the moon. He could have simply relied on a darkening stage to show the coming of night, but he describes the role of the moon. Why might he have done that? How does it contribute to the feeling of the play at that point? How do the stage directions that Beckett did include contribute to the play? Cite specific examples.
This section contains 2,011 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)