|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During a conversation in Act I, Estragon says he is hungry. Vladimir offers him
2. When Pozzo tells Estragon to give Lucky his hat so Lucky can entertain them, Estragon says
3. When Vladimir goes off stage to go to the bathroom, Estragon asks Pozzo to come and look at something. Together they look at
4. After Pozzo has finished eating, Estragon asks him
5. When Estragon complains that he will never walk again, Vladimir tells Estragon that, if necessary, he will
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the relationship between Lucky and Pozzo.
2. Pozzo wants to rouse Lucky and suggests that someone go and kick him to get his attention. Estragon is reluctant to approach him because the last time he did, Lucky kicked him. What does Vladimir tell Estragon?
3. What is different about the tree as the second act opens, and how does this contribute to the mood of the play?
4. Lucky makes a speech. What does he tell Estragon, Vladimir, and Pozzo?
5. Just before he finally leaves in Act I, what does Pozzo observe about leaving? What does he feel he needs to do to be able to leave?
6. How does Estragon react in Act II when he decided to kick Lucky and ended up hurting his foot in the process?
7. When Estragon complains about Lucky's response to his attempted kindness, Pozzo reminds him about what?
8. When Pozzo and Lucky come across Estragon and Vladimir on the second day, what has changed, and what has stayed the same?
9. How do Pozzo and Lucky first enter the stage and why do you think Beckett creates their characters this way?
10. Why do you think Beckett uses the moon to illuminate the stage? Remember that moonlight is different than sunlight and that the moon becomes part of the play in the same way that the tree does.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you feel you are most like or unlike? Which of your personality characteristics and the personality characteristics of the character you chose support your belief?
Essay Topic 2
Describe each character by creating a "picture" with words. Concentrate on picking the best words to describe each character. Think of words that show how the characters are both different and similar to each other. In other words, what traits do they share, and what traits are unique to each character?
Essay Topic 3
There are times that all of us feel as if life is pointless. How did "Waiting for Godot" help you understand that feeling? Did it encourage you because you can see that you are going somewhere in your life, after all, considering what your are doing with your life like going to school and reading plays. Or did it show you that like the characters in the play, you are not doing anything to move your life ahead?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)