|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vladimir and Estragon talk about the crucifixion of Jesus and the different views of the four Evangelists who record that event. What is the topic that is described differently between the four Evangelists?
2. While they are waiting for Godot, Estragon and Vladimir talk about
3. When Lucky comes on stage for the first time, he is
4. When Pozzo asks Estragon what his name is, what name does Estragon give?
5. When Estragon starts to tell Vladimir about the dream he was having, Vladimir
Short Essay Questions
1. Vladimir asks Estragon if he has ever read the Bible. What does Estragon tell him?
2. After Estragon and Vladimir help Pozzo get up in Act II, Pozzo asks them if they are his friends. How do Estragon and Vladimir respond?
3. Estragon is closely associated with a particular prop. What is that prop? Why do you think Beckett chose that prop and what does it contribute to the play?
4. After the discussion about radishes in Act II, what does Vladimir suggest he and Estragon do to pass the time?
5. After Estragon and Vladimir talk about the fact that Estragon got beaten again, Vladimir finally notices the tree. They have another discussion about the tree. What is interesting to note about Vladimir's observation versus the reality of the tree?
6. In the first act, what does the boy tell Estragon and Vladimir about Mr. Godot?
7. Estragon and Vladimir frequently fall asleep throughout the play. Why do you think Beckett uses that as a thread throughout the play.
8. When Pozzo reveals he is blind and is afraid because he can't see, who does he think Estragon and Vladimir might be?
9. Estragon and Vladimir talk about the crucifixion of Christ and, later, about offering a prayer or supplication to Godot. Why might Beckett reveal this vague connection between God and Godot?
10. Pozzo smokes a pipe after dinner. He tells Estragon and Vladimir that even though the second pipe is sweet, it is not as sweet as the first. Why might Pozzo believes the first pipe is sweeter, and why does Pozzo have the second pipe? What does this contribute to the mood of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Vladimir and Estragon suffer from constant pain. Why may Beckett have given them each a chronic condition that constantly occupied their attention? Pozzo and Lucky also have pain in their lives although, in the first act, it is different from the chronic conditions suffered by Vladimir and Estragon. Then, in the second act, Pozzo is afflicted with a condition that causes him a different kind of pain. How does Beckett use pain as a theme running throughout the play? How does this theme contribute to Beckett's overall message?
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you feel you are most like or unlike? Which of your personality characteristics and the personality characteristics of the character you chose support your belief?
Essay Topic 3
Many lines of dialogue consist of single words or very brief sentences. How does this approach to dialogue affect the mood of the play, and what does it tell you about the characters, especially Estragon and Vladimir?
This section contains 2,091 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)