|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Lucky reacts to Estragon's attempt to make him feel better, Estragon then reacts by
2. Lucky is clearly working extremely hard carrying packages and serving Pozzo. He is so exhausted that he finally
3. After Estragon repeatedly asks Pozzo to sit down, Pozzo finally does and then tells Estragon and Vladimir that he must
4. Estragon tells Vladimir that if they try to hang themselves
5. What is the most significant thing on the stage? It is talked about several times during the play.
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act II, while Pozzo is obviously in distress and asking for help, what are Estragon and Vladimir doing? Pozzo keeps calling for help and finally offers what to Estragon and Vladimir?
2. What is different about the tree as the second act opens, and how does this contribute to the mood of the play?
3. Of all the kind of trees there are, Beckett chose what kind of tree? Why do you think he chose that particular type of tree.
4. When Pozzo reveals he is blind and is afraid because he can't see, who does he think Estragon and Vladimir might be?
5. Vladimir asks the boy if Mr. Godot has a beard and what color it is. How does the boy respond?
6. After Estragon and Vladimir help Pozzo get up in Act II, Pozzo asks them if they are his friends. How do Estragon and Vladimir respond?
7. What are Estragon and Vladimir doing when the play finally ends?
8. Pozzo and Lucky perform a repetitive behavior that serves to demonstrate the kind of relationship they have. It drives home the point that they are incapable of changing the course of their lives. Lucky's suffering is apparent. Briefly explain what Lucky's part is in the "dance" between them. Pozzo's "servitude" is not as apparent, but it does exist. Explain how Pozzo is just as helpless and frustrated in his relationship with Lucky.
9. Estragon and Vladimir still want to know why Lucky doesn't put done all the parcels. What does Pozzo finally tell them?
10. When Vladimir finds Estragon's boots in Act II, what does Estragon say about the boots?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Beckett has very few stage directions. He makes a point of describing the rising of the moon. He could have simply relied on a darkening stage to show the coming of night, but he describes the role of the moon. Why might he have done that? How does it contribute to the feeling of the play at that point? How do the stage directions that Beckett did include contribute to the play? Cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think that Beckett had each character wear a hat (bowler)? Was this effective in portraying a message or carrying a theme? Why or why not? How else does Beckett use clothing, like Estragon's boots, to provide depth to his characters and the play's message?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Beckett created the characters of Pozzo and Lucky the way he did? Do you feel that other characters would have worked better? For instance, Pozzo and Lucky are just as locked in their lives and unable to change as Estragon and Vladimir. Would characters who were happy, contented, and successful made Beckett's message stronger because of the contrast? Why do you feel the way you do?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)