|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first act, Estragon exclaims that Vladimir smells of
2. After Estragon repeatedly asks Pozzo to sit down, Pozzo finally does and then tells Estragon and Vladimir that he must
3. When Lucky hears Pozzo talking to Estragon and Vladimir about the fair, he starts to
4. After Lucky reacts to Estragon's attempt to make him feel better, Estragon then reacts by
5. Vladimir and Estragon talk about the crucifixion of Jesus and the different views of the four Evangelists who record that event. What is the topic that is described differently between the four Evangelists?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Vladimir finds Estragon's boots in Act II, what does Estragon say about the boots?
2. What does Pozzo tell Estragon and Vladimir about tears and laughter?
3. Just before he finally leaves in Act I, what does Pozzo observe about leaving? What does he feel he needs to do to be able to leave?
4. Estragon and Vladimir have a second conversation about radishes and carrots. How does the conversation differ from the one in Act I and why might Beckett includes this second conversation?
5. When Pozzo wants to sit down in Act I, what does he ask Estragon to do?
6. In the first act, what does the boy tell Estragon and Vladimir about Mr. Godot?
7. How does Estragon react in Act II when he decided to kick Lucky and ended up hurting his foot in the process?
8. How does Pozzo feel about meeting new people?
9. When Estragon complains about Lucky's response to his attempted kindness, Pozzo reminds him about what?
10. Lucky makes a speech. What does he tell Estragon, Vladimir, and Pozzo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many lines of dialogue consist of single words or very brief sentences. How does this approach to dialogue affect the mood of the play, and what does it tell you about the characters, especially Estragon and Vladimir?
Essay Topic 2
Why are Estragon and Vladimir waiting for Godot? What do you think they want? Why do you think they keep waiting? Imagine you have come across Estragon and Vladimir who have told you they are waiting for Godot. Based on what you know after reading the play, would you wait? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There is almost nothing on the stage with the actors. There are very few props. How do you think this contributes to the overall feeling of the play? Why do you think Beckett used a bare tree on the stage? Why do you think that in the second act it has a few leaves? What point was Beckett trying to make, and how do you think it contributed to his overall message?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)