|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pozzo wants to sit down toward the end of Act I but needs help. He asks Estragon to
2. Vladimir tells Estragon that if they hang themselves from the tree, they will have
3. When Estragon tries to make Lucky feel better in the way Pozzo suggested, Lucky
4. During the first part of Act I, Vladimir keeps looking for something that he doesn't find in what?
5. When Vladimir goes off stage to go to the bathroom, Estragon asks Pozzo to come and look at something. Together they look at
Short Essay Questions
1. Estragon and Vladimir can't seem to figure out who Pozzo and Lucky really are in Act II. In their confusion, they call them two names that are related. What are those names, and how do these names give some additional depth to the relationship between Pozzo and Lucky?
2. What does Estragon do to Lucky later in Act I to get revenge for what Lucky did to him earlier?
3. In Act 1, when Vladimir leaves the stage to go to the bathroom, what do Pozzo and Estragon stare at off stage? What does Estragon tell Vladimir about it when he returns?
4. Vladimir is closely associated with a particular prop. What is that prop? Why do you think Beckett chose that prop and what does it contribute to the play?
5. After Estragon and Vladimir help Pozzo get up in Act II, Pozzo asks them if they are his friends. How do Estragon and Vladimir respond?
6. What does Estragon decide to do with his boots and why does Vladimir tell him he can't do that?
7. The set is very bare with the exception of one significant thing. What is it, and why do you think Beckett used this particular thing?
8. How does Estragon react in Act II when he decided to kick Lucky and ended up hurting his foot in the process?
9. After the discussion about radishes in Act II, what does Vladimir suggest he and Estragon do to pass the time?
10. What is the subject of Vladimir's song, and why do you think Beckett used this particular song?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are Estragon and Vladimir waiting for Godot? What do you think they want? Why do you think they keep waiting? Imagine you have come across Estragon and Vladimir who have told you they are waiting for Godot. Based on what you know after reading the play, would you wait? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Use words to paint a picture of the setting of the play. Talk about how this setting contributes to the message Samuel Becket is trying to send to the reader. There is little mention of lighting and sound, but describe how you think lighting and sound could enhance the feeling of the play. Describe how you would design the set, lighting, and sound if you were directing this play.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Beckett created the characters of Pozzo and Lucky the way he did? Do you feel that other characters would have worked better? For instance, Pozzo and Lucky are just as locked in their lives and unable to change as Estragon and Vladimir. Would characters who were happy, contented, and successful made Beckett's message stronger because of the contrast? Why do you feel the way you do?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)