|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Estragon complains that he will never walk again, Vladimir tells Estragon that, if necessary, he will
2. What does Estragon tell Vladimir happened to him during the night?
3. Who offers to give Lucky his hat so that he can perform at the end of Act I?
4. Responding to Pozzo's request for help sitting down, Estragon tells Pozzo that if he does not sit down, Pozzo will
5. Pozzo tells Estragon and Vladimir that the reason Lucky won't put the packages down is that Lucky wants to
Short Essay Questions
1. Of all the kind of trees there are, Beckett chose what kind of tree? Why do you think he chose that particular type of tree.
2. Who are the five characters in "Waiting for Godot?"
3. What does Pozzo have for dinner and what do Estragon, Vladimir, and Lucky eat?
4. How does the idea of hanging and Estragon and Vladimir's inability to come up with a workable plan contribute to the atmosphere of the play?
5. Estragon and Vladimir can't seem to figure out who Pozzo and Lucky really are in Act II. In their confusion, they call them two names that are related. What are those names, and how do these names give some additional depth to the relationship between Pozzo and Lucky?
6. When Vladimir wakes Estragon up in Act II and he finds Lucky's hat, what does Vladimir suggests they do to pass the time?
7. What does Estragon do to Lucky later in Act I to get revenge for what Lucky did to him earlier?
8. What are Estragon and Vladimir doing when the play finally ends?
9. Vladimir asks the boy what Mr. Godot does. How does the boy respond?
10. In Act 1, when Vladimir leaves the stage to go to the bathroom, what do Pozzo and Estragon stare at off stage? What does Estragon tell Vladimir about it when he returns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagine that Godot finally makes his appearance one day. How might he feel about the fact that Estragon and Vladimir had spent so much time waiting for him? What, if anything, might Godot would do for Estragon and Vladimir? If he were to encounter Pozzo and Lucky, would Godot do anything for them even though they had not been waiting for him?
Essay Topic 2
Describe each character by creating a "picture" with words. Concentrate on picking the best words to describe each character. Think of words that show how the characters are both different and similar to each other. In other words, what traits do they share, and what traits are unique to each character?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think that Beckett had each character wear a hat (bowler)? Was this effective in portraying a message or carrying a theme? Why or why not? How else does Beckett use clothing, like Estragon's boots, to provide depth to his characters and the play's message?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)