|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Pozzo finishes eating, what does Pozzo ask Lucky?
2. What is the last thing Lucky does at end of Act I?
3. Estragon is interested in understanding Lucky and wants to find out why he
4. Lucky is clearly working extremely hard carrying packages and serving Pozzo. He is so exhausted that he finally
5. The two main characters in "Waiting for Godot" are
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Estragon react in Act II when he decided to kick Lucky and ended up hurting his foot in the process?
2. Of all the kind of trees there are, Beckett chose what kind of tree? Why do you think he chose that particular type of tree.
3. Estragon and Vladimir still want to know why Lucky doesn't put done all the parcels. What does Pozzo finally tell them?
4. What happens when Estragon tries to help Lucky when is is crying?
5. When Pozzo reveals he is blind and is afraid because he can't see, who does he think Estragon and Vladimir might be?
6. What does Estragon do to Lucky later in Act I to get revenge for what Lucky did to him earlier?
7. After Estragon and Vladimir talk about the tree, Estragon falls asleep. He is abruptly awakened by Vladimir. When he tries to tell Vladimir about a dream he was having, Vladimir is adamant that he not talk about it. Why do you think Vladimir is so vehement in his reaction?
8. Briefly describe the relationship between Lucky and Pozzo.
9. How do Pozzo and Lucky first enter the stage and why do you think Beckett creates their characters this way?
10. After Estragon and Vladimir help Pozzo get up in Act II, Pozzo asks them if they are his friends. How do Estragon and Vladimir respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Godot exist? Why do you feel the way you do? Is there any supporting evidence in the play? If you feel that Godot does exist, is Godot God? Why do you feel the way you do?
Essay Topic 2
Imagine that Godot finally makes his appearance one day. How might he feel about the fact that Estragon and Vladimir had spent so much time waiting for him? What, if anything, might Godot would do for Estragon and Vladimir? If he were to encounter Pozzo and Lucky, would Godot do anything for them even though they had not been waiting for him?
Essay Topic 3
There is almost nothing on the stage with the actors. There are very few props. How do you think this contributes to the overall feeling of the play? Why do you think Beckett used a bare tree on the stage? Why do you think that in the second act it has a few leaves? What point was Beckett trying to make, and how do you think it contributed to his overall message?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)