|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lucky hears Pozzo talking to Estragon and Vladimir about the fair, he starts to
2. While they are waiting for Godot, Estragon and Vladimir talk about
3. In Act I, the relationship between Pozzo and Lucky is demonstrated by the fact that each time Pozzo asks Lucky to bring him something, Lucky
4. When Pozzo tells Estragon to give Lucky his hat so Lucky can entertain them, Estragon says
5. The first time Pozzo and Lucky meet Estragon and Vladimir in Act I, Pozzo tells Estragon and Vladimir that Lucky
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Pozzo and Lucky first enter the stage and why do you think Beckett creates their characters this way?
2. How does Estragon reply to Vladimir's statement that he can't go barefoot?
3. In Act II, what does Estragon remember about Lucky and Pozzo from the day before and why?
4. How does the idea of hanging and Estragon and Vladimir's inability to come up with a workable plan contribute to the atmosphere of the play?
5. When Pozzo wants to sit down in Act I, what does he ask Estragon to do?
6. When Vladimir wakes Estragon up in Act II and he finds Lucky's hat, what does Vladimir suggests they do to pass the time?
7. After Estragon and Vladimir help Pozzo get up in Act II, Pozzo asks them if they are his friends. How do Estragon and Vladimir respond?
8. Estragon is closely associated with a particular prop. What is that prop? Why do you think Beckett chose that prop and what does it contribute to the play?
9. What does Pozzo have for dinner and what do Estragon, Vladimir, and Lucky eat?
10. After Estragon and Vladimir talk about the fact that Estragon got beaten again, Vladimir finally notices the tree. They have another discussion about the tree. What is interesting to note about Vladimir's observation versus the reality of the tree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Vladimir and Estragon suffer from constant pain. Why may Beckett have given them each a chronic condition that constantly occupied their attention? Pozzo and Lucky also have pain in their lives although, in the first act, it is different from the chronic conditions suffered by Vladimir and Estragon. Then, in the second act, Pozzo is afflicted with a condition that causes him a different kind of pain. How does Beckett use pain as a theme running throughout the play? How does this theme contribute to Beckett's overall message?
Essay Topic 2
There is almost nothing on the stage with the actors. There are very few props. How do you think this contributes to the overall feeling of the play? Why do you think Beckett used a bare tree on the stage? Why do you think that in the second act it has a few leaves? What point was Beckett trying to make, and how do you think it contributed to his overall message?
Essay Topic 3
Which character do you feel you are most like or unlike? Which of your personality characteristics and the personality characteristics of the character you chose support your belief?
This section contains 2,018 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)