|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first act, Estragon exclaims that Vladimir smells of
2. The two main characters in the play are waiting for
3. When Lucky comes on stage for the first time, he is
4. Estragon and Vladimir talk about what they asked Godot for and recall asking him for
5. While relaxing and smoking his pipe, Pozzo makes the philosophical observation that the second pipe
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lucky do to entertain Estragon, Vladimir, and Pozzo. What is Lucky's name for it and why?
2. Just before he finally leaves in Act I, what does Pozzo observe about leaving? What does he feel he needs to do to be able to leave?
3. In Act I, when Pozzo tells Estragon and Vladimir that he has to leave and keep to his schedule, what does Vladimir tell him?
4. How does Estragon react in Act II when he decided to kick Lucky and ended up hurting his foot in the process?
5. Pozzo smokes a pipe after dinner. He tells Estragon and Vladimir that even though the second pipe is sweet, it is not as sweet as the first. Why might Pozzo believes the first pipe is sweeter, and why does Pozzo have the second pipe? What does this contribute to the mood of the play?
6. When Estragon complains about Lucky's response to his attempted kindness, Pozzo reminds him about what?
7. What is the theme that is carried throughout the play and obvious from the beginning? What does this theme mean to you?
8. What does Estragon decide to do with his boots and why does Vladimir tell him he can't do that?
9. How does Pozzo feel about meeting new people?
10. After the discussion about radishes in Act II, what does Vladimir suggest he and Estragon do to pass the time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you feel you are most like or unlike? Which of your personality characteristics and the personality characteristics of the character you chose support your belief?
Essay Topic 2
There are times that all of us feel as if life is pointless. How did "Waiting for Godot" help you understand that feeling? Did it encourage you because you can see that you are going somewhere in your life, after all, considering what your are doing with your life like going to school and reading plays. Or did it show you that like the characters in the play, you are not doing anything to move your life ahead?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think that Beckett had each character wear a hat (bowler)? Was this effective in portraying a message or carrying a theme? Why or why not? How else does Beckett use clothing, like Estragon's boots, to provide depth to his characters and the play's message?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)