|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon first encountering Pozzo, Estragon wants to know if he is
(b) Here to bring news of Godot.
(c) Also waiting for Godot.
2. After Pozzo finishes eating, what does Pozzo ask Lucky?
(a) If he is ready to leave.
(b) If he would like something to eat.
(c) If he would like to relax and get some sleep.
(d) If he wants the chicken bones.
3. The two main characters in "Waiting for Godot" are
(a) Estragon and Vladimir.
(b) Pozzo and Lucky.
(c) Estragon and Lucky.
(d) The boy and Lucky.
4. Vladimir tells Estragon that if they hang themselves from the tree, they will have
(a) An erection.
(b) A new way of looking at life.
(c) A migraine.
(d) A stomach ache.
5. While discussing the hanging, Vladimir asks Estragon what they should do. Estragon replies
(a) "Let's find another tree so that we can both hang."
(b) "Don't let's do anything. It's safer."
(c) "Let's do it right away."
(d) "We can think more about it."
6. What is the last thing Lucky does at end of Act I?
(a) He gives a long speech full of gibberish.
(b) He picks up his packages and waits silently.
(c) He falls asleep and takes a nap.
(d) He laughes at Estragon.
7. After eating and disposing of the chicken bones, Pozzo finally decides to relax and
(a) Listen to some music.
(b) Take a quick nap.
(c) Smoke his pipe.
(d) Have an after dinner mint.
8. During the first act, Vladimir leaves the stage to go to the bathroom. When Vladimir returns, Estragon tries to start a conversation. He acknowledges that Vladimir is angry and wants the anger to go away. They end up
9. Several times during the beginning of the first act, Vladimir keeps taking off and putting back on his
10. During the conversation in Act I, after telling Estragon and Vladimir how terrible Lucky is, Pozzo
(a) Tells them everything he said was a lie.
(b) Tries to kidnap Estragon.
(c) Decides to turn him over to the police.
(d) Falls asleep and starts to snore.
11. Pozzo controls Lucky with
(a) A long rope that goes around his neck and has created a large sore.
(b) A sword he threatens him with.
(c) His fists.
(d) A stick he beats him with.
12. At the very beginning of Act I, Vladimir enters the stage where he finds Estragon. Vladimir asks him where he spent the night. Estragon tells him he spent the night
(a) At the Holiday Inn.
(b) On a bench.
(c) In a ditch.
(d) In the park.
13. When Pozzo observes that Lucky has stopped crying, but Estragon is now crying. Pozzo explains that
(a) Crying is a normal and natural response to pain.
(b) People cry when they are unhappy.
(c) Everybody in the world is crying.
(d) There is a constant quantity of tears and laughter in the world and that when one person stops laughing or crying, another can laugh or cry.
14. Before Pozzo and Lucky leave Estragon and Vladimir at the end of Act I, Pozzo, Estragon, and Vladimir get Lucky to
(a) Sleep standing up.
(d) Turn cartwheels.
15. While relaxing and smoking his pipe, Pozzo makes the philosophical observation that the second pipe
(a) Is better shared with someone.
(b) Is really bad for your health.
(c) Is even better than the first.
(d) Is sweet but not as sweet as the first.
Short Answer Questions
1. Responding to Pozzo's request for help sitting down, Estragon tells Pozzo that if he does not sit down, Pozzo will
2. Vladimir and Estragon talk about the crucifixion of Jesus and the different views of the four Evangelists who record that event. What is the topic that is described differently between the four Evangelists?
3. When Estragon and Vladimir first discuss the tree, they notice it is
4. Estragon is interested in understanding Lucky and wants to find out why he
5. A piece of costuming that Estragon, Vladimir, Pozzo, and Lucky wear throughout the play is a
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)