|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the play's notes, the action begins
(a) In a park in the morning.
(b) In a park in the evening.
(c) On a country road in the evening.
(d) On a country road in the afternoon.
2. After all of the men say goodbye many times toward the end of Act 1, Pozzo and Lucky
(a) Fall asleep.
(b) Decide to stay and meet Godot.
3. In the first Act, Pozzo tells Estragon and Vladimir that Lucky is driving him mad. Estragon and Vladimir
(a) Turn on Lucky and chastise him.
(b) Tell Pozzo he is foolish.
(c) Tell Pozzo to leave Lucky with them.
(d) Leave the stage.
4. Who offers to give Lucky his hat so that he can perform at the end of Act I?
(a) A stranger walking across the stage
(b) The boy
5. In Act 1, Pozzo asks Estragon and Vladimir how he can help them since they are having such a dull time. Estragon tells Pozzo
(a) To leave them alone.
(b) That he is hungry.
(c) That 10 francs would be fine.
(d) That he has no place to sleep.
6. While discussing the hanging, Vladimir asks Estragon what they should do. Estragon replies
(a) "Let's find another tree so that we can both hang."
(b) "We can think more about it."
(c) "Let's do it right away."
(d) "Don't let's do anything. It's safer."
7. At the very beginning of Act I, Vladimir enters the stage where he finds Estragon. Vladimir asks him where he spent the night. Estragon tells him he spent the night
(a) In the park.
(b) On a bench.
(c) At the Holiday Inn.
(d) In a ditch.
8. Estragan pities Lucky, so Pozzo gives him a
(a) Whip so that he won't be afraid anymore.
(b) Stick so that he can hit Lucky and stop him from crying.
(c) Stool so that he can give it Lucky and let him sit down.
(d) Handkerchief to comfort Lucky telling Estragon to wipe away his tears.
9. When Act I opens, Estragon is
(a) Trying to pull his boot off.
(b) Making castles in the dirt.
(c) Staring off into space.
10. When Estragon and Vladimir first discuss the tree, they notice it is
(a) Full of fruit.
(b) Badly splintered.
(c) Full of leaves.
11. Pozzo controls Lucky with
(a) A long rope that goes around his neck and has created a large sore.
(b) His fists.
(c) A stick he beats him with.
(d) A sword he threatens him with.
12. During the first act, when Estragon complains because Vladimir woke him up, Vladimir tells Estragon he woke him up because
(a) He felt lonely.
(b) It was Estragon's turn to keep watch.
(c) Estragon was snoring.
(d) He just felt like it.
13. When Estragon and Vladimir first see Pozzo and Lucky, they
(a) They don't pay any attention to them.
(b) They are happy to have company and go to greet them.
(c) Are frightened and huddle together.
(d) They are surprised, so they run away.
14. While Pozzo is talking to Estragon and Vladimir in Act I, Pozzo tells them he is going to get rid of Lucky. Estragon and Vladimir
(a) Leave the stage.
(b) Are shocked that he would want to get rid of such a faithful servant.
(c) Offer to buy Lucky.
(d) Pay no attention to either Pozzo or Lucky.
15. Estragon tells Vladimir that if they try to hang themselves
(a) It will be a great success.
(b) Everything will work exactly as they plan because it is a wonderful idea.
(c) They will fail and live to regret it because they both will be hurt.
(d) He will die because he is light but that Didi will break the branch and will be left alive and alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Estragon and Vladimir want to find out why Lucky won't put his packages down. Finally, Pozzo understands the question and tells them that Lucky
2. What is the fundamental relationship between Pozzo and Lucky?
3. When Estragon pushes Vladimir to tell him the story about the Englishman in the brothel, Vladimir
4. During the first act, Vladimir leaves the stage to go to the bathroom. When Vladimir returns, Estragon tries to start a conversation. He acknowledges that Vladimir is angry and wants the anger to go away. They end up
5. During the conversation about Lucky and the packages, Pozzo yanks on the rope to get his attention and calls him a
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)