|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lucky hears Pozzo talking to Estragon and Vladimir about the fair, he starts to
(a) Go to sleep.
(c) Run away.
2. Estragon and Vladimir talk about what they asked Godot for and recall asking him for
(a) Nothing specific.
(c) Good health.
(d) A place to live.
3. While discussing the hanging, Vladimir asks Estragon what they should do. Estragon replies
(a) "Don't let's do anything. It's safer."
(b) "Let's find another tree so that we can both hang."
(c) "We can think more about it."
(d) "Let's do it right away."
4. Lucky is clearly working extremely hard carrying packages and serving Pozzo. He is so exhausted that he finally
(a) Begs for coffee so that he can stop feeling sleepy.
(b) Lays down and falls asleep.
(c) Falls asleep under the tree.
(d) Falls asleep standing up.
5. What does Estragon tell Vladimir happened to him during the night?
(a) He found some money and clothes.
(b) He slept soundly and well.
(c) He was beaten.
(d) He watched the stars all night.
6. During the first act, Vladimir leaves the stage to go to the bathroom. When Vladimir returns, Estragon tries to start a conversation. He acknowledges that Vladimir is angry and wants the anger to go away. They end up
7. When Act I opens, Estragon is
(a) Staring off into space.
(b) Trying to pull his boot off.
(d) Making castles in the dirt.
8. What is the most significant thing on the stage? It is talked about several times during the play.
(a) Some rocks.
(b) The tree.
(c) Park benches.
(d) The dirt.
9. What does Estragon remember about the Bible?
(a) Descriptions of the desert.
(b) The maps and pretty colors.
(c) Moses and the Ten Commandments.
(d) The temples.
10. When Pozzo observes that Lucky has stopped crying, but Estragon is now crying. Pozzo explains that
(a) Everybody in the world is crying.
(b) Crying is a normal and natural response to pain.
(c) People cry when they are unhappy.
(d) There is a constant quantity of tears and laughter in the world and that when one person stops laughing or crying, another can laugh or cry.
11. The two main characters in "Waiting for Godot" are
(a) Estragon and Lucky.
(b) Pozzo and Lucky.
(c) The boy and Lucky.
(d) Estragon and Vladimir.
12. What is the fundamental relationship between Pozzo and Lucky?
(a) Pozzo serves Lucky and is dependent on him.
(b) They just met.
(c) Lucky serves Pozzo and is dependent on him.
(d) They are good friends.
13. Act I starts with a meandering conversation between the two main characters who talk about a variety of subjects. They do NOT talk about
(a) Their pain.
(b) Places they have been, like the Eiffel Tower.
(c) Going to America.
(d) The Bible.
14. Several times during the beginning of the first act, Vladimir keeps taking off and putting back on his
15. According to the play's notes, the action begins
(a) On a country road in the afternoon.
(b) On a country road in the evening.
(c) In a park in the evening.
(d) In a park in the morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. While relaxing and smoking his pipe, Pozzo makes the philosophical observation that the second pipe
2. Responding to Pozzo's request for help sitting down, Estragon tells Pozzo that if he does not sit down, Pozzo will
3. During the conversation in Act I, after telling Estragon and Vladimir how terrible Lucky is, Pozzo
4. After tormenting Lucky awhile, Pozzo decides to eat. In his belongings he has
5. Estragon and Vladimir want to find out why Lucky won't put his packages down. Finally, Pozzo understands the question and tells them that Lucky
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)