|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the first act, Vladimir leaves the stage to go to the bathroom. When Vladimir returns, Estragon tries to start a conversation. He acknowledges that Vladimir is angry and wants the anger to go away. They end up
2. Before Pozzo and Lucky leave Estragon and Vladimir at the end of Act I, Pozzo, Estragon, and Vladimir get Lucky to
(a) Turn cartwheels.
(b) Sleep standing up.
3. Vladimir looks for a note about when Godot is to come in
(a) His hat.
(b) His pockets.
(c) His shoes.
(d) Estragon's pockets.
4. According to Pozzo, Lucky calls the performance he gives at the end of Act I
(a) The Hard Stool.
(b) The Scapegoat's Agony.
(c) The Net.
(d) The Hornpipe.
5. Estragon is interested in understanding Lucky and wants to find out why he
(a) Doesn't want the chicken bones.
(b) Is working for Pozzo.
(c) Is waiting for Godot.
(d) Doesn't put his packages down.
6. When Pozzo observes that Lucky has stopped crying, but Estragon is now crying. Pozzo explains that
(a) There is a constant quantity of tears and laughter in the world and that when one person stops laughing or crying, another can laugh or cry.
(b) Crying is a normal and natural response to pain.
(c) People cry when they are unhappy.
(d) Everybody in the world is crying.
7. Several times during the beginning of the first act, Vladimir keeps taking off and putting back on his
8. According to the play's notes, the action begins
(a) On a country road in the afternoon.
(b) In a park in the evening.
(c) On a country road in the evening.
(d) In a park in the morning.
9. In Act I, when Pozzo first sees Estragon and Vladimir as he is entering the stage, he
(a) Invites Estragon and Vladimir to go with them.
(b) Pulls Lucky back on the stage.
(c) Lets Lucky go and sits down.
(d) Follows Lucky off stage.
10. When Lucky comes on stage for the first time, he is
(a) Carrying many parcels and packages.
(b) Carrying Pozzo.
(c) Carrying a goat.
(d) Pulling a cart.
11. While they are waiting for Godot, Estragon and Vladimir talk about
(a) Moving far away from each other.
(b) Running away together.
(c) Making new friends.
(d) Hanging themselves on the tree.
12. While discussing the hanging, Vladimir asks Estragon what they should do. Estragon replies
(a) "We can think more about it."
(b) "Don't let's do anything. It's safer."
(c) "Let's find another tree so that we can both hang."
(d) "Let's do it right away."
13. Several times during the play, the tree on stage is the subject of conversation. In the first act, Vladimir identifies the tree as a(an)
14. After Pozzo finishes eating, what does Pozzo ask Lucky?
(a) If he wants the chicken bones.
(b) If he would like something to eat.
(c) If he would like to relax and get some sleep.
(d) If he is ready to leave.
15. What is the most significant thing on the stage? It is talked about several times during the play.
(a) The dirt.
(b) Some rocks.
(c) The tree.
(d) Park benches.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first Act, Pozzo tells Estragon and Vladimir that Lucky is driving him mad. Estragon and Vladimir
2. During the conversation in Act I, after telling Estragon and Vladimir how terrible Lucky is, Pozzo
3. Pozzo asks Estragon how old he thinks Vladimir is. Estragon tells him
4. Who offers to give Lucky his hat so that he can perform at the end of Act I?
5. When Act I opens, Estragon is
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)