|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Pozzo wants to sit down toward the end of Act I but needs help. He asks Estragon to
(a) Invite him, repeatedly, to sit down.
(b) Bring him a chair.
(c) Hold the stool steady.
(d) Help him sit down.
2. Pozzo tells Estragon and Vladimir that he is taking Lucky to the fair to
(a) Sell him for a good price.
(b) Buy new clothes and shoes.
(c) Buy another servant.
(d) Have a good time.
3. While relaxing and smoking his pipe, Pozzo makes the philosophical observation that the second pipe
(a) Is better shared with someone.
(b) Is even better than the first.
(c) Is really bad for your health.
(d) Is sweet but not as sweet as the first.
4. After Estragon repeatedly asks Pozzo to sit down, Pozzo finally does and then tells Estragon and Vladimir that he must
(a) Leave immediately if he is to keep his schedule.
(b) Feed Lucky.
(c) Go to the bathroom.
(d) Take a nap.
5. When Estragon starts to tell Vladimir about the dream he was having, Vladimir
(a) Shouts for him to stop!
(b) Keeps interrupting the story.
(c) Listens intently.
(d) Falls asleep.
6. After Estragon's leg is hurt, what does Pozzo tell him?
(a) That he had warned Estragon that Lucky didn't like strangers.
(b) That he is glad that Estragon got hurt.
(c) That he will pay Estragon money to make up for it.
(d) That he doesn't care, and Estragon should stop complaining.
7. While discussing the hanging, Vladimir asks Estragon what they should do. Estragon replies
(a) "Don't let's do anything. It's safer."
(b) "Let's find another tree so that we can both hang."
(c) "We can think more about it."
(d) "Let's do it right away."
8. When Lucky hears Pozzo talking to Estragon and Vladimir about the fair, he starts to
(b) Go to sleep.
(d) Run away.
9. In Act I, the relationship between Pozzo and Lucky is demonstrated by the fact that each time Pozzo asks Lucky to bring him something, Lucky
(a) Ignores Pozzo and continues to sleep.
(b) Puts each parcel down, brings the item to Pozzo, and picks up each package again.
(c) Pulls at the rope trying to run away.
(d) Begs Estragon and Vladimir to help him.
10. Estragon tells Vladimir that if they try to hang themselves
(a) They will fail and live to regret it because they both will be hurt.
(b) He will die because he is light but that Didi will break the branch and will be left alive and alone.
(c) Everything will work exactly as they plan because it is a wonderful idea.
(d) It will be a great success.
11. During their initial conversation in the first act, what does Estragon tell Vladimir is unbuttoned?
(a) The buttons on his fly.
(b) The buttons on his shirt.
(c) The buttons on his shoes.
(d) The buttons on his pocket.
12. Vladimir looks for a note about when Godot is to come in
(a) Estragon's pockets.
(b) His shoes.
(c) His pockets.
(d) His hat.
13. Pozzo tells Estragon and Vladimir that the reason Lucky won't put the packages down is that Lucky wants to
(a) Sell the packages and make some money.
(b) Impress Pozzo so that Pozzo won't get rid of him.
(c) Steal the packages and run away.
(d) Trick Pozzo so that he can keep the packages.
14. The two main characters in "Waiting for Godot" are
(a) The boy and Lucky.
(b) Pozzo and Lucky.
(c) Estragon and Vladimir.
(d) Estragon and Lucky.
15. The first time Pozzo and Lucky meet Estragon and Vladimir in Act I, Pozzo tells Estragon and Vladimir that Lucky
(a) Doesn't want to stay there.
(b) Told him many secrets.
(c) Wants to escape.
(d) Taught him beautiful things.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act I, Pozzo tells Estragon and Vladimir that if he were waiting for Godot, he would
2. Pozzo controls Lucky with
3. During the beginning of the first act, while Vladimir is pacing back and forth, Estragon
4. Vladimir tells Estragon that if they hang themselves from the tree, they will have
5. During the course of the play, Estragon asks Vladimir if he is sure they are waiting in the right spot. In Act I, in response to Estragon's concern, Vladimir reminds him they were told to wait by the
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)