|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act I, the relationship between Pozzo and Lucky is demonstrated by the fact that each time Pozzo asks Lucky to bring him something, Lucky
(a) Begs Estragon and Vladimir to help him.
(b) Pulls at the rope trying to run away.
(c) Puts each parcel down, brings the item to Pozzo, and picks up each package again.
(d) Ignores Pozzo and continues to sleep.
2. According to Pozzo, Lucky calls the performance he gives at the end of Act I
(a) The Hard Stool.
(b) The Net.
(c) The Hornpipe.
(d) The Scapegoat's Agony.
3. Estragan pities Lucky, so Pozzo gives him a
(a) Stool so that he can give it Lucky and let him sit down.
(b) Whip so that he won't be afraid anymore.
(c) Stick so that he can hit Lucky and stop him from crying.
(d) Handkerchief to comfort Lucky telling Estragon to wipe away his tears.
4. Estragon tells Vladimir that if they try to hang themselves
(a) They will fail and live to regret it because they both will be hurt.
(b) Everything will work exactly as they plan because it is a wonderful idea.
(c) It will be a great success.
(d) He will die because he is light but that Didi will break the branch and will be left alive and alone.
5. When Estragon and Vladimir first see Pozzo and Lucky, they
(a) They are surprised, so they run away.
(b) They are happy to have company and go to greet them.
(c) Are frightened and huddle together.
(d) They don't pay any attention to them.
6. Estragon and Vladimir want to find out why Lucky won't put his packages down. Finally, Pozzo understands the question and tells them that Lucky
(a) Is afraid someone will steal the packages.
(b) Is trying to steal the packages.
(c) Wants to give the packages to Estragon and Vladimir.
(d) Has the right to put his packages down but chooses not to.
7. During a conversation in Act I, Estragon says he is hungry. Vladimir offers him
(a) Turnips and carrots.
(b) A potato.
(c) A drink.
(d) Chocolate and cookies.
8. After Pozzo finishes eating, what does Pozzo ask Lucky?
(a) If he would like to relax and get some sleep.
(b) If he would like something to eat.
(c) If he wants the chicken bones.
(d) If he is ready to leave.
9. A piece of costuming that Estragon, Vladimir, Pozzo, and Lucky wear throughout the play is a
(a) Hat (bowler).
(b) Long-sleeve shirt.
(c) Pair of shorts.
(d) Silver buckle.
10. Several times during the play, the tree on stage is the subject of conversation. In the first act, Vladimir identifies the tree as a(an)
11. What is the last thing Lucky does at end of Act I?
(a) He picks up his packages and waits silently.
(b) He gives a long speech full of gibberish.
(c) He laughes at Estragon.
(d) He falls asleep and takes a nap.
12. The two main characters in "Waiting for Godot" are
(a) Pozzo and Lucky.
(b) Estragon and Lucky.
(c) The boy and Lucky.
(d) Estragon and Vladimir.
13. In Act I, when Pozzo first sees Estragon and Vladimir as he is entering the stage, he
(a) Invites Estragon and Vladimir to go with them.
(b) Follows Lucky off stage.
(c) Pulls Lucky back on the stage.
(d) Lets Lucky go and sits down.
14. When Vladimir talks about leaving, Pozzo asks him what will happen to his appointment with Godot because he believes Godot
(a) Has no intention of coming.
(b) Has already been there and won't come back.
(c) Is going to trick Vladimir and steal everything he has.
(d) Holds Vladimir's future in his hands.
15. According to the play's notes, the action begins
(a) On a country road in the evening.
(b) On a country road in the afternoon.
(c) In a park in the morning.
(d) In a park in the evening.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the beginning of the first act, while Vladimir is pacing back and forth, Estragon
2. At times throughout the play, both Estragon and Vladimir talk about leaving the place where they are waiting, but they do not. Why not?
3. When Pozzo tells Estragon and Vladimir they are trespassing, they reply that
4. At the very beginning of Act I, Vladimir enters the stage where he finds Estragon. Vladimir asks him where he spent the night. Estragon tells him he spent the night
5. During their discussion about when Godot is supposed to come, Vladimir and Estragon are certain about
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)