|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Manna's eyes look like the day after her rape?
2. Why doesn't Ran Su tell his wife anything?
3. What do Manna's legs feel like as she walks away from spying on Lin's class?
4. What holiday do Manna and Lin prepare for at the end of "Waiting?"
5. What is Bensheng most jealous of at the end of "Waiting?"
Short Essay Questions
1. After River and Lake are healthy again, does Manna and Lin's marriage become right and peaceful?
2. Is Bensheng greedy? Why or why not?
3. Why does Lin think he and Manna shouldn't make love so much?
4. How does Lin feel about being a father?
5. Is Manna turning into a jealous wife?
6. In Chapter 12, time accelerates through years. What has changed or stayed the same?
7. Is Lin secretive?
8. How do Manna's worst fears appear to be coming true in Chapter 11?
9. Why does Manna wish she had a daughter like Hua?
10. Does Lin regret divorcing Shuyu?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the parallels between the characters and the political context of China. What do the characters represent about the evolving political organization of China? What role do Chinese politics play in the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Through the book, Lin ponders "love" and questions his understanding of it. Respond to the following questions:
- What does Lin think "love" is?
- What does "love" mean to Lin?
Essay Topic 3
Early in the book, Lin has several daydreams and fantasies. Respond to the following questions:
- What do these dreams and fantasies say about Lin's innermost desires at the time?
- What are the parallels you can draw between his life in Part 3 and his fantasies in Part 1?
- What conclusions do you draw from Lin's reactions to getting what he wants and wanting what he can't have?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)