|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday do Manna and Lin prepare for at the end of "Waiting?"
2. When Lin notices how sick Manna looks, what does he compare her to?
3. What is Lin most interested in from Manna's locked box?
4. What has Manna secretly been taking to help her feel better?
5. Why is Lin nervous about the health of his baby when Manna goes into labor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Lin enjoy his wedding?
2. Is Bensheng greedy? Why or why not?
3. Why does Lin think he and Manna shouldn't make love so much?
4. What are the double standards of blame in Chapter 10?
5. What about seeing Geng Yang upsets Manna so much?
6. Do people in the hospital view Shuyu as a joke?
7. Is Lin secretive?
8. Why does Manna wish she had a daughter like Hua?
9. Is Lin going to leave Manna?
10. Why would Manna Kill herself if she were pregnant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about honesty and dishonesty answering the following questions:
- How do characters lie to each other?
- How do characters lie to themselves?
- What effect does honesty have on their lives?
- Which holds characters and relationships together best: lies or honesty?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the parallels between the characters and the political context of China. What do the characters represent about the evolving political organization of China? What role do Chinese politics play in the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The title of "Waiting" is one of the most pivotal aspects of the book. Write an essay discussing the effect waiting has on the characters and their relationships.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)