|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the women at the hair salon say about Lin for wanting to divorce Shuyu?
2. What is Bensheng NOT upset about when he comes to Lin's house drunk in the middle of the night?
3. Why does Lin go to visit Hua and Shuyu at the match plant?
4. Why does the judge reject the divorce of the couple whose hearing is held before Lin and Shuyu's?
5. Why does Lin go into the city so frequently after Manna gets pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does tradition aid Lin in Chapter 9?
2. After River and Lake are healthy again, does Manna and Lin's marriage become right and peaceful?
3. Is Lin secretive?
4. Is Lin going to leave Manna?
5. Why doesn't Lin stay in the delivery room while Manna is giving birth?
6. What does Lin think is the effect of Manna's suffering?
7. Is Manna turning into a jealous wife?
8. Does Lin love Manna?
9. Do people in the hospital view Shuyu as a joke?
10. In Chapter 12, time accelerates through years. What has changed or stayed the same?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early in the book, Lin has several daydreams and fantasies. Respond to the following questions:
- What do these dreams and fantasies say about Lin's innermost desires at the time?
- What are the parallels you can draw between his life in Part 3 and his fantasies in Part 1?
- What conclusions do you draw from Lin's reactions to getting what he wants and wanting what he can't have?
Essay Topic 2
Ha Jin frequently uses animal imagery in reference to his characters. Write an essay discussing Ha Jin's tendencies of anthropomorphizing his characters and what significance his choices of animals hold for his characters.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Lin's children become some of the most relevant characters in his life. Respond to the following questions:
- What do each of his children provide for Lin?
- What do they represent about Lin's relationships with their mothers?
- What greater symbols do they offer to the book?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)