|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Geng Yang on TV?
2. Why does the judge reject the divorce of the couple whose hearing is held before Lin and Shuyu's?
3. What does Lin compare the box at the bottom of Manna's closet to?
4. How does Manna avoiding Shuyu and Lin during Shuyu's visit to the hospital make her look?
5. Why is Bensheng upset after Lin sells the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, how does Lin prove not to be as cold to his family as he originally felt?
2. Does Lin enjoy his wedding?
3. Do people in the hospital view Shuyu as a joke?
4. What about seeing Geng Yang upsets Manna so much?
5. Why doesn't Lin stay in the delivery room while Manna is giving birth?
6. Is Lin going to leave Manna?
7. What about Ran Su's blessing makes Manna so upset?
8. How does Lin realize the reason he hasn't received a promotion in ten years?
9. Does Hua agree with Lin's desire to divorce Shuyu?
10. Is Bensheng greedy? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relevance of women versus men in "Waiting." Argue the statement Ha Jin is making about gender, using the following ideas:
- Emotional tendencies of men or women in relationships.
- Self awareness, idealism, control, impressionability, vulnerability.
- Selfishness and selflessness.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about honesty and dishonesty answering the following questions:
- How do characters lie to each other?
- How do characters lie to themselves?
- What effect does honesty have on their lives?
- Which holds characters and relationships together best: lies or honesty?
Essay Topic 3
Manna has had many suitors through "Waiting." Respond to the following questions:
- What draws Manna to these men?
- What repels Manna from these men?
- How much control does Manna have over her life?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)