|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Manna secretly been taking to help her feel better?
2. What Makes Manna think Ran Su knows about her rape?
3. What does Manna scream at Lin while she is in labor?
4. What does Manna tell Lin her blood pressure is?
5. By the end of Chapter 10, how long will it be until Lin returns from his conference in Shengyang?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Lin regret divorcing Shuyu?
2. Is Manna the type of lover Lin predicted?
3. Does Lin love Manna?
4. Does Hua agree with Lin's desire to divorce Shuyu?
5. Why would Manna Kill herself if she were pregnant?
6. What does Lin think is the effect of Manna's suffering?
7. Why doesn't Lin stay in the delivery room while Manna is giving birth?
8. Is Lin going to leave Manna?
9. In Chapter 9, how does Lin prove not to be as cold to his family as he originally felt?
10. How does Lin realize the reason he hasn't received a promotion in ten years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The discretion in "Waiting" is completely symmetrical: three parts with twelve chapters each. Write an essay discussing the relevance of how and when the book is divided, why this is, and what the organization reveals about the narrative, characters, and themes, and how it assists them.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Ha Jin's use of youth, age, and death. How do they define characters in the eyes of others? What affect does it have on narrative, imagery, and relationships of "Waiting?"
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about honesty and dishonesty answering the following questions:
- How do characters lie to each other?
- How do characters lie to themselves?
- What effect does honesty have on their lives?
- Which holds characters and relationships together best: lies or honesty?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)