|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days of maternity leave is Manna given?
2. What does Geng Yang do in Manna's dream?
3. What do Manna's symptoms of her bad heart resemble?
4. Why is Lin nervous about the health of his baby when Manna goes into labor?
5. Why does Manna feel sad in the weeks following her wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lin think is the effect of Manna's suffering?
2. How does Lin realize the reason he hasn't received a promotion in ten years?
3. Why does Lin think he and Manna shouldn't make love so much?
4. After River and Lake are healthy again, does Manna and Lin's marriage become right and peaceful?
5. How does Lin feel about being a father?
6. Is Shuyu simple-minded?
7. What are the double standards of blame in Chapter 10?
8. Is Lin going to leave Manna?
9. In Chapter 12, time accelerates through years. What has changed or stayed the same?
10. After the secret of Manna's rape gets out, how does the way the hospital staff treats Manna and Lin change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick one of the following positions to argue in an essay:
- Manna is the appropriate wife for Lin.
- Shuyu is the appropriate wife for Lin.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the parallels between the characters and the political context of China. What do the characters represent about the evolving political organization of China? What role do Chinese politics play in the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The title of "Waiting" is one of the most pivotal aspects of the book. Write an essay discussing the effect waiting has on the characters and their relationships.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)