|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comment does one of the nurses make about Manna and Lin's poor singing at the wedding?
2. Why is Geng Yang on TV?
3. Why do Lin and Manna sleep peacefully at the end of Chapter 5?
4. How much is Manna working when she returns to work?
5. Why does Lin go into the city so frequently after Manna gets pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about seeing Geng Yang upsets Manna so much?
2. How does tradition aid Lin in Chapter 9?
3. Why would Manna Kill herself if she were pregnant?
4. Why doesn't Lin stay in the delivery room while Manna is giving birth?
5. Does Lin regret divorcing Shuyu?
6. Why does Manna wish she had a daughter like Hua?
7. Why does Lin think they should tell Ran Su about Manna's rape as soon as possible?
8. Does Lin enjoy his wedding?
9. Is Manna the type of lover Lin predicted?
10. Does Lin love Manna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ha Jin's use of youth, age, and death. How do they define characters in the eyes of others? What affect does it have on narrative, imagery, and relationships of "Waiting?"
Essay Topic 2
The discretion in "Waiting" is completely symmetrical: three parts with twelve chapters each. Write an essay discussing the relevance of how and when the book is divided, why this is, and what the organization reveals about the narrative, characters, and themes, and how it assists them.
Essay Topic 3
The title of "Waiting" is one of the most pivotal aspects of the book. Write an essay discussing the effect waiting has on the characters and their relationships.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)