|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Only a woman over the age of _______ would be expected to have bound feet.
2. Who is the obstetrician who delivers Manna's twins?
3. How does Manna avoiding Shuyu and Lin during Shuyu's visit to the hospital make her look?
4. When Lin sees Manna at the mess hall for the first time in days, he sees a flicker of _______ in her face.
5. What do Manna's eyes look like the day after her rape?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay analyzing the narrative structure or "Waiting". Focus on the following:
- Its symmetry and organization.
- Its circular and recursive motion.
- Compare to traditional narrative structure (rising action, climax, falling action, etc.) and how "Waiting" breaks, uses, and redefines "structure".
Essay Topic 2
Manna has had many suitors through "Waiting." Respond to the following questions:
- What draws Manna to these men?
- What repels Manna from these men?
- How much control does Manna have over her life?
Essay Topic 3
The title of "Waiting" is one of the most pivotal aspects of the book. Write an essay discussing the effect waiting has on the characters and their relationships.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)