|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Manna avoiding Shuyu and Lin during Shuyu's visit to the hospital make her look?
2. What does Manna decide to do if she is pregnant?
3. Why won't Mrs. Su attend the wedding?
4. What does Lin fantasize about as Manna grows more ill?
5. Why is Lin nervous about the health of his baby when Manna goes into labor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lin think he and Manna shouldn't make love so much?
2. In Chapter 12, time accelerates through years. What has changed or stayed the same?
3. Why is Hua not difficult to convince to go to Muji City?
4. Does Lin love Manna?
5. What about Ran Su's blessing makes Manna so upset?
6. Is Bensheng greedy? Why or why not?
7. Is Lin secretive?
8. How does Lin realize the reason he hasn't received a promotion in ten years?
9. Why doesn't Lin stay in the delivery room while Manna is giving birth?
10. Is Manna turning into a jealous wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The discretion in "Waiting" is completely symmetrical: three parts with twelve chapters each. Write an essay discussing the relevance of how and when the book is divided, why this is, and what the organization reveals about the narrative, characters, and themes, and how it assists them.
Essay Topic 2
Pick one of the following positions to argue in an essay:
- Manna is the appropriate wife for Lin.
- Shuyu is the appropriate wife for Lin.
Essay Topic 3
Dreams are a powerful tool of revelation and understanding for both the reader and the characters in "Waiting." Write an essay analyzing the use of dreams and internal dialogue in the book.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)