|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Lin give to Ran Su?
2. Manna's heart murmur often turns to a _______ rhythm.
3. What has Manna secretly been taking to help her feel better?
4. Who is the obstetrician who delivers Manna's twins?
5. Where does Hua find a job in Muji City?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Lin regret divorcing Shuyu?
2. Does Lin love Manna?
3. Why does Manna wish she had a daughter like Hua?
4. How do Manna's worst fears appear to be coming true in Chapter 11?
5. Does Lin enjoy his wedding?
6. Is Manna the type of lover Lin predicted?
7. In Chapter 9, how does Lin prove not to be as cold to his family as he originally felt?
8. What are the double standards of blame in Chapter 10?
9. After the secret of Manna's rape gets out, how does the way the hospital staff treats Manna and Lin change?
10. Why doesn't Lin stay in the delivery room while Manna is giving birth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the parallels between the characters and the political context of China. What do the characters represent about the evolving political organization of China? What role do Chinese politics play in the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Ha Jin's use of youth, age, and death. How do they define characters in the eyes of others? What affect does it have on narrative, imagery, and relationships of "Waiting?"
Essay Topic 3
Pick one of the following positions to argue in an essay:
- Manna is the appropriate wife for Lin.
- Shuyu is the appropriate wife for Lin.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)