|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Manna realize Lin might be bored with her?
2. What surprises Lin about Manna's pregnancy?
3. What has Manna secretly been taking to help her feel better?
4. How does Manna react to seeing Geng Yang on TV?
5. What are Manna and Lin's twins diagnosed with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Manna turning into a jealous wife?
2. How do Manna's worst fears appear to be coming true in Chapter 11?
3. Do people in the hospital view Shuyu as a joke?
4. Is Lin going to leave Manna?
5. Why does Lin think he and Manna shouldn't make love so much?
6. Does Hua agree with Lin's desire to divorce Shuyu?
7. Is Lin secretive?
8. Why doesn't Lin stay in the delivery room while Manna is giving birth?
9. Why does Manna wish she had a daughter like Hua?
10. In Chapter 12, time accelerates through years. What has changed or stayed the same?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Manna is a very trusting and dutiful person. Write an essay discussing Manna's view of humanity through her relationships and endeavors.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relevance of women versus men in "Waiting." Argue the statement Ha Jin is making about gender, using the following ideas:
- Emotional tendencies of men or women in relationships.
- Self awareness, idealism, control, impressionability, vulnerability.
- Selfishness and selflessness.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Ha Jin's use of youth, age, and death. How do they define characters in the eyes of others? What affect does it have on narrative, imagery, and relationships of "Waiting?"
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)