|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Manna blame Lin for her rape?
2. What do Manna's legs feel like as she walks away from spying on Lin's class?
3. What phrase does Lin paint on the banner when a general visits the hospital?
4. By the end of Chapter 10, how long will it be until Lin returns from his conference in Shengyang?
5. Who does Snow Goose say Lin's sons look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Lin regret divorcing Shuyu?
2. In Chapter 9, how does Lin prove not to be as cold to his family as he originally felt?
3. Is Shuyu simple-minded?
4. Why does Manna wish she had a daughter like Hua?
5. Why is Hua not difficult to convince to go to Muji City?
6. Is Bensheng greedy? Why or why not?
7. Is Lin going to leave Manna?
8. Why does Lin think he and Manna shouldn't make love so much?
9. Do people in the hospital view Shuyu as a joke?
10. What about seeing Geng Yang upsets Manna so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Manna has had many suitors through "Waiting." Respond to the following questions:
- What draws Manna to these men?
- What repels Manna from these men?
- How much control does Manna have over her life?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Geng Yang and what he embodies, represents, and provides.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relevance of women versus men in "Waiting." Argue the statement Ha Jin is making about gender, using the following ideas:
- Emotional tendencies of men or women in relationships.
- Self awareness, idealism, control, impressionability, vulnerability.
- Selfishness and selflessness.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)