|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Manna sick with before their wedding?
2. Where does Hua find a job in Muji City?
3. Why is Lin nervous about the health of his baby when Manna goes into labor?
4. Why is Bensheng upset after Lin sells the house?
5. Haiyan says she would never marry a doctor because she believes they are only well trained what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Manna wish she had a daughter like Hua?
2. In Chapter 9, how does Lin prove not to be as cold to his family as he originally felt?
3. Why does Lin think he and Manna shouldn't make love so much?
4. What are the double standards of blame in Chapter 10?
5. Does Lin regret divorcing Shuyu?
6. Why does Lin think they should tell Ran Su about Manna's rape as soon as possible?
7. Is Bensheng greedy? Why or why not?
8. How do Manna's worst fears appear to be coming true in Chapter 11?
9. Why is Hua not difficult to convince to go to Muji City?
10. Why would Manna Kill herself if she were pregnant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay analyzing the narrative structure or "Waiting". Focus on the following:
- Its symmetry and organization.
- Its circular and recursive motion.
- Compare to traditional narrative structure (rising action, climax, falling action, etc.) and how "Waiting" breaks, uses, and redefines "structure".
Essay Topic 2
Lin has a duplicitous personality. Analyze his character using the three following characteristics of Lin:
- Lin's need to please.
- Lin's superiority complex.
- Lin's inferiority complex.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Lin's children become some of the most relevant characters in his life. Respond to the following questions:
- What do each of his children provide for Lin?
- What do they represent about Lin's relationships with their mothers?
- What greater symbols do they offer to the book?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)