Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Manna speaks to someone outside their apartment, what does Lin notice her voice is still full of?
2. What does Manna tell Lin her blood pressure is?
3. Why do the orderlies ask Lin to teach the class?
4. Why does Manna tell Ran Su she wants Lin to stay home more?
5. What do Manna's legs feel like as she walks away from spying on Lin's class?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Lin's children become some of the most relevant characters in his life. Respond to the following questions:
- What do each of his children provide for Lin?
- What do they represent about Lin's relationships with their mothers?
- What greater symbols do they offer to the book?
Essay Topic 2
Ha Jin frequently uses animal imagery in reference to his characters. Write an essay discussing Ha Jin's tendencies of anthropomorphizing his characters and what significance his choices of animals hold for his characters.
Essay Topic 3
Early in the book, Lin has several daydreams and fantasies. Respond to the following questions:
- What do these dreams and fantasies say about Lin's innermost desires at the time?
- What are the parallels you can draw between his life in Part 3 and his fantasies in Part 1?
- What conclusions do you draw from Lin's reactions to getting what he wants and wanting what he can't have?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)