|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manna show Lin from her locked box?
2. What is Manna's reaction to knowing she will die soon?
3. What do Manna's legs feel like as she walks away from spying on Lin's class?
4. What does Director Chen think is an inappropriate wedding activity?
5. When does Manna realize Lin might be bored with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do people in the hospital view Shuyu as a joke?
2. Does Lin regret divorcing Shuyu?
3. In Chapter 9, how does Lin prove not to be as cold to his family as he originally felt?
4. After the secret of Manna's rape gets out, how does the way the hospital staff treats Manna and Lin change?
5. Why does Lin want Shuyu and Hua to have urban residential status?
6. How does Lin realize the reason he hasn't received a promotion in ten years?
7. After River and Lake are healthy again, does Manna and Lin's marriage become right and peaceful?
8. In Chapter 12, time accelerates through years. What has changed or stayed the same?
9. What are the double standards of blame in Chapter 10?
10. Is Lin going to leave Manna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ha Jin frequently uses animal imagery in reference to his characters. Write an essay discussing Ha Jin's tendencies of anthropomorphizing his characters and what significance his choices of animals hold for his characters.
Essay Topic 2
Manna has had many suitors through "Waiting." Respond to the following questions:
- What draws Manna to these men?
- What repels Manna from these men?
- How much control does Manna have over her life?
Essay Topic 3
The heart is a recurring symbol in "Waiting." Write an essay about the relevance of when and how it is used and what it represents about the characters and relationships.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)