|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manna spend 70 yen on in preparation for the baby?
2. Why doesn't Lin know how to medically treat a rape victim?
3. What holiday do Manna and Lin prepare for at the end of "Waiting?"
4. Why does Shuyu want her hair cut short?
5. Why does Manna feel sad in the weeks following her wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Lin's children become some of the most relevant characters in his life. Respond to the following questions:
- What do each of his children provide for Lin?
- What do they represent about Lin's relationships with their mothers?
- What greater symbols do they offer to the book?
Essay Topic 2
The discretion in "Waiting" is completely symmetrical: three parts with twelve chapters each. Write an essay discussing the relevance of how and when the book is divided, why this is, and what the organization reveals about the narrative, characters, and themes, and how it assists them.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relevance of women versus men in "Waiting." Argue the statement Ha Jin is making about gender, using the following ideas:
- Emotional tendencies of men or women in relationships.
- Self awareness, idealism, control, impressionability, vulnerability.
- Selfishness and selflessness.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)