|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Geng Yang do in Manna's dream?
2. When does Manna realize Lin might be bored with her?
3. Why is Bensheng upset after Lin sells the house?
4. How many children are families usually permitted to have?
5. What is Manna's excuse to the other nurses for looking so sickly the day after the rape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the parallels between the characters and the political context of China. What do the characters represent about the evolving political organization of China? What role do Chinese politics play in the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relevance of women versus men in "Waiting." Argue the statement Ha Jin is making about gender, using the following ideas:
- Emotional tendencies of men or women in relationships.
- Self awareness, idealism, control, impressionability, vulnerability.
- Selfishness and selflessness.
Essay Topic 3
Early in the book, Lin has several daydreams and fantasies. Respond to the following questions:
- What do these dreams and fantasies say about Lin's innermost desires at the time?
- What are the parallels you can draw between his life in Part 3 and his fantasies in Part 1?
- What conclusions do you draw from Lin's reactions to getting what he wants and wanting what he can't have?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)