|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Manna speaks to someone outside their apartment, what does Lin notice her voice is still full of?
2. What does Manna tell Lin her blood pressure is?
3. Why do the orderlies ask Lin to teach the class?
4. Why does Manna tell Ran Su she wants Lin to stay home more?
5. What do Manna's legs feel like as she walks away from spying on Lin's class?
Essay Topic 1
The heart is a recurring symbol in "Waiting." Write an essay about the relevance of when and how it is used and what it represents about the characters and relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relevance of women versus men in "Waiting." Argue the statement Ha Jin is making about gender, using the following ideas:
- Emotional tendencies of men or women in relationships.
- Self awareness, idealism, control, impressionability, vulnerability.
- Selfishness and selflessness.
Essay Topic 3
Lin has a duplicitous personality. Analyze his character using the three following characteristics of Lin:
- Lin's need to please.
- Lin's superiority complex.
- Lin's inferiority complex.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)