|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase does Lin paint on the banner when a general visits the hospital?
2. How do the nurses at the hospital treat Manna and Lin after they have been together for a long time?
3. Why is Manna upset that Lin is teaching the orderlies?
4. What is the subject of the class that Lin teaches orderly nurses?
5. When Manna speaks to someone outside their apartment, what does Lin notice her voice is still full of?
Essay Topic 1
Dreams are a powerful tool of revelation and understanding for both the reader and the characters in "Waiting." Write an essay analyzing the use of dreams and internal dialogue in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Manna is a very trusting and dutiful person. Write an essay discussing Manna's view of humanity through her relationships and endeavors.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Ha Jin's use of youth, age, and death. How do they define characters in the eyes of others? What affect does it have on narrative, imagery, and relationships of "Waiting?"
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)