|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lin notices how sick Manna looks, what does he compare her to?
2. What does Lin tell Shuyu to do when he is drunk in her apartment?
3. What are Manna and Lin's twins diagnosed with?
4. Why doesn't Lin know how to medically treat a rape victim?
5. How much alimony does the judge tell Lin to pay Shuyu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Ran Su's blessing makes Manna so upset?
2. How does Lin realize the reason he hasn't received a promotion in ten years?
3. Does Lin regret divorcing Shuyu?
4. Is Shuyu simple-minded?
5. What does Lin think is the effect of Manna's suffering?
6. How does Lin feel about being a father?
7. Why does Lin want Shuyu and Hua to have urban residential status?
8. Why does Manna wish she had a daughter like Hua?
9. In Chapter 12, time accelerates through years. What has changed or stayed the same?
10. In Chapter 9, how does Lin prove not to be as cold to his family as he originally felt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tradition, rules, and standards sometimes play the most pivotal role in the relationships in "Waiting." Write an essay about the characters' multifaceted relationships with these obstacles.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Ha Jin's use of youth, age, and death. How do they define characters in the eyes of others? What affect does it have on narrative, imagery, and relationships of "Waiting?"
Essay Topic 3
Early in the book, Lin has several daydreams and fantasies. Respond to the following questions:
- What do these dreams and fantasies say about Lin's innermost desires at the time?
- What are the parallels you can draw between his life in Part 3 and his fantasies in Part 1?
- What conclusions do you draw from Lin's reactions to getting what he wants and wanting what he can't have?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)