|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Manna and Lin's twins diagnosed with?
2. Who is the obstetrician who delivers Manna's twins?
3. How much is Manna working when she returns to work?
4. What is the rule about foot-binding that Shuyu explains to one of the nurses?
5. What do the women at the hair salon say about Lin for wanting to divorce Shuyu?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lin realize the reason he hasn't received a promotion in ten years?
2. In Chapter 9, how does Lin prove not to be as cold to his family as he originally felt?
3. How does Lin feel about being a father?
4. Is Lin secretive?
5. Is Bensheng greedy? Why or why not?
6. What about Ran Su's blessing makes Manna so upset?
7. Why does Lin want Shuyu and Hua to have urban residential status?
8. After River and Lake are healthy again, does Manna and Lin's marriage become right and peaceful?
9. Is Manna turning into a jealous wife?
10. Why does Lin think he and Manna shouldn't make love so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the parallels between the characters and the political context of China. What do the characters represent about the evolving political organization of China? What role do Chinese politics play in the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The discretion in "Waiting" is completely symmetrical: three parts with twelve chapters each. Write an essay discussing the relevance of how and when the book is divided, why this is, and what the organization reveals about the narrative, characters, and themes, and how it assists them.
Essay Topic 3
Ha Jin frequently uses animal imagery in reference to his characters. Write an essay discussing Ha Jin's tendencies of anthropomorphizing his characters and what significance his choices of animals hold for his characters.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)