|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Geng Yang do in Manna's dream?
2. What is Manna's reaction to knowing she will die soon?
3. What does Lin fantasize about as Manna grows more ill?
4. When Lin notices how sick Manna looks, what does he compare her to?
5. What is the prognosis for Shuyu's back condition?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay analyzing the narrative structure or "Waiting". Focus on the following:
- Its symmetry and organization.
- Its circular and recursive motion.
- Compare to traditional narrative structure (rising action, climax, falling action, etc.) and how "Waiting" breaks, uses, and redefines "structure".
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about honesty and dishonesty answering the following questions:
- How do characters lie to each other?
- How do characters lie to themselves?
- What effect does honesty have on their lives?
- Which holds characters and relationships together best: lies or honesty?
Essay Topic 3
The heart is a recurring symbol in "Waiting." Write an essay about the relevance of when and how it is used and what it represents about the characters and relationships.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)