|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lin returns to the hospital after failing to ask his wife for a divorce he tells Manna he is too what to spend time with her?
2. Lin's roles as an officer and doctor make him what kind of a man?
3. How much yen does Llin have in the bank?
4. What do Manna and Liang Meng talk about when they first meet at the hospital?
5. At the holiday banquet, what does Lin warn Manna not to do so much?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Manna extremely selfish in the beginning of Chapter 7?
2. What does Lin's daydream about the nurses say about him?
3. Why does Manna help Lin put dust covers on his books?
4. What about Lin's response to Manna's prospective engagement make him rethink his attachment?
5. How does Lin share Manna's feelings about Geng Yang?
6. How does Manna begin to advance on Lin?
7. Why is Manna more embarrassed than heartbroken at Commissar Wei's rejection?
8. What is the relationship Manna Wu invents between Lin Kong and Pinging Ma? Why does Manna think Pingping is more appealing to Lin than she is?
9. Why is Lin ashamed that he asks Manna to share the cost of the bribe?
10. Although a relationship between Manna and Liang Meng is Lin's idea, what is his attitude? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The discretion in "Waiting" is completely symmetrical: three parts with twelve chapters each. Write an essay discussing the relevance of how and when the book is divided, why this is, and what the organization reveals about the narrative, characters, and themes, and how it assists them.
Essay Topic 2
Early in the book, Lin has several daydreams and fantasies. Respond to the following questions:
- What do these dreams and fantasies say about Lin's innermost desires at the time?
- What are the parallels you can draw between his life in Part 3 and his fantasies in Part 1?
- What conclusions do you draw from Lin's reactions to getting what he wants and wanting what he can't have?
Essay Topic 3
Manna is a very trusting and dutiful person. Write an essay discussing Manna's view of humanity through her relationships and endeavors.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)