|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Commissar Wei's reason for wanting to discontinue his relationship with Manna?
2. If Manna's parents had lived, she thinks they could have been ________.
3. Who does Manna hit while riding her bike home one night?
4. On the hospital camp-and-field training, what does Lin do to help Manna and the other nurses when they stop for the night?
5. When the hospital goes to see the film, how does Manna act regarding feelings for Lin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lin think he and Manna shouldn't make love so much?
2. In Chapter 9, how does Lin prove not to be as cold to his family as he originally felt?
3. Does Lin regret divorcing Shuyu?
4. Do people in the hospital view Shuyu as a joke?
5. How does Lin share Manna's feelings about Geng Yang?
6. Why does Manna wish she had a daughter like Hua?
7. Why is Lin ashamed that he asks Manna to share the cost of the bribe?
8. How does Lin feel about being a father?
9. How is Lin painted to be at fault through Chapter 9?
10. Is Bensheng greedy? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ha Jin's use of youth, age, and death. How do they define characters in the eyes of others? What affect does it have on narrative, imagery, and relationships of "Waiting?"
Essay Topic 2
The heart is a recurring symbol in "Waiting." Write an essay about the relevance of when and how it is used and what it represents about the characters and relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Lin's orchestration of relationships and the necessity of control. Respond to the following questions:
- How does Lin act when he is orchestrating the situation?
- How does Lin react when he has no control over another person or their actions?
This section contains 1,480 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)