|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Manna be transferred to another hospital?
2. Why can't anyone play cards as the people in Lin's dream do?
3. Why does the group congregate outside the courthouse after Lin and Shuyu's divorce hearing?
4. Why is Manna hesitant to pursue sleeping with Lin?
5. Aside from Latin, what languages must nurses learn to be promoted to assistant doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dilemmas do Shuyu's feet make for Lin?
2. Why is Manna more embarrassed than heartbroken at Commissar Wei's rejection?
3. Why does Manna help Lin put dust covers on his books?
4. What is the crowd at the courthouse defending when they are scolding Lin?
5. Why is Lin's response to "Leaves of Grass" peculiar to his usual tendencies towards literature?
6. Why is Manna hesitant to become engaged to Mai Dong before her graduation? What is their deciding factor in holding off their engagement?
7. Since Manna and Lin broke up, what has Manna been doing to spite Lin? How does this reach its climax in Chapter 10?
8. How does Lin share Manna's feelings about Geng Yang?
9. Why is Manna's meeting with Commissar Wei very pleasant?
10. What makes Lin hesitate to divorce his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Manna is a very trusting and dutiful person. Write an essay discussing Manna's view of humanity through her relationships and endeavors.
Essay Topic 2
Manna has had many suitors through "Waiting." Respond to the following questions:
- What draws Manna to these men?
- What repels Manna from these men?
- How much control does Manna have over her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the parallels between the characters and the political context of China. What do the characters represent about the evolving political organization of China? What role do Chinese politics play in the lives of the characters?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)