|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Manna find Geng Yang "interesting?"
2. What is Lin's favorite part of visiting home?
3. What is Manna considered dangerously close to because of her age?
4. As Lin's attempts to divorce Shuyu continue to fail, how does Manna come to treat the other nurses?
5. Why can't Manna be transferred to another hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Lin begins to try in earnest to divorce Shuyu, what are the new dilemmas that arise?
2. Why is Manna more embarrassed than heartbroken at Commissar Wei's rejection?
3. Why has Lin doubted himself of being a "normal" man? How does he gauge "normal?"
4. Why does Shuyu's brother object to Lin's wish for a divorce?
5. Why doesn't Geng Yang cry during "The Flower Girl?" What conclusion does Manna draw about him?
6. Why does Manna help Lin put dust covers on his books?
7. How does Lin share Manna's feelings about Geng Yang?
8. Why is Manna's meeting with Commissar Wei very pleasant?
9. What makes Lin hesitate to divorce his wife?
10. How does Manna begin to advance on Lin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick one of the following positions to argue in an essay:
- Manna is the appropriate wife for Lin.
- Shuyu is the appropriate wife for Lin.
Essay Topic 2
Through the book, Lin ponders "love" and questions his understanding of it. Respond to the following questions:
- What does Lin think "love" is?
- What does "love" mean to Lin?
Essay Topic 3
Tradition, rules, and standards sometimes play the most pivotal role in the relationships in "Waiting." Write an essay about the characters' multifaceted relationships with these obstacles.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)