Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Manna squat over a bucket for so long?
2. On his first day in Muji City, what is Liang Meng's reason for needing to return home so soon?
3. What is Lin's concern about Manna becoming engaged to another man?
4. What does Manna do for Lin that most fiancées do for their men?
5. What are Lin's conditions on Manna's prospective new fiancé?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shuyu's brother object to Lin's wish for a divorce?
2. How is Manna extremely selfish in the beginning of Chapter 7?
3. What draws and repels Manna and Liang Meng to and from each other?
4. What is the crowd at the courthouse defending when they are scolding Lin?
5. Why is Lin's response to "Leaves of Grass" peculiar to his usual tendencies towards literature?
6. How does Lin share Manna's feelings about Geng Yang?
7. How do the two men in Manna's life in Chapter 4 leave her between a rock and a hard place?
8. Why does Manna wish she had a daughter like Hua?
9. Is Lin going to leave Manna?
10. After the secret of Manna's rape gets out, how does the way the hospital staff treats Manna and Lin change?
Essay Topic 1
Lin has a duplicitous personality. Analyze his character using the three following characteristics of Lin:
- Lin's need to please.
- Lin's superiority complex.
- Lin's inferiority complex.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the parallels between the characters and the political context of China. What do the characters represent about the evolving political organization of China? What role do Chinese politics play in the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Ha Jin frequently uses animal imagery in reference to his characters. Write an essay discussing Ha Jin's tendencies of anthropomorphizing his characters and what significance his choices of animals hold for his characters.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)