|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Liang Meng and Manna meet alone in the city, whose poetry does he quote?
2. What is Commissar Wei's reason for wanting to discontinue his relationship with Manna?
3. Why does manna ask to be left behind to die during the hospital camp-and-field training?
4. Who does Lin believe is the key player in making his divorce successful?
5. What American poet does Commissar Wei recommend to Manna?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lin concerned that Bensheng invites Ren to his house?
2. Why doesn't Geng Yang cry during "The Flower Girl?" What conclusion does Manna draw about him?
3. What draws and repels Manna and Liang Meng to and from each other?
4. How does Manna begin to advance on Lin?
5. What about Lin's response to Manna's prospective engagement make him rethink his attachment?
6. Why is Lin ashamed that he asks Manna to share the cost of the bribe?
7. How does Lin share Manna's feelings about Geng Yang?
8. What dilemmas do Shuyu's feet make for Lin?
9. Although a relationship between Manna and Liang Meng is Lin's idea, what is his attitude? Why?
10. Why is Manna hesitant to become engaged to Mai Dong before her graduation? What is their deciding factor in holding off their engagement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lin has a duplicitous personality. Analyze his character using the three following characteristics of Lin:
- Lin's need to please.
- Lin's superiority complex.
- Lin's inferiority complex.
Essay Topic 2
The discretion in "Waiting" is completely symmetrical: three parts with twelve chapters each. Write an essay discussing the relevance of how and when the book is divided, why this is, and what the organization reveals about the narrative, characters, and themes, and how it assists them.
Essay Topic 3
Through the book, Lin ponders "love" and questions his understanding of it. Respond to the following questions:
- What does Lin think "love" is?
- What does "love" mean to Lin?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)