|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What controversial items does Manna see in Lin's room?
2. Although Manna is lying, what is Commissar Wei's response to her claim of reading Russian novels?
3. Why does Geng Yang ask Manna to come to his room?
4. Why does Manna want to learn to ride a bicycle?
5. After Lin's father dies, how do his feelings about his wife and marriage change?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lin shows Manna the photo of his wife and daughter, what upset does it bring to their relationship? What solace does it bring to Manna?
2. What dilemmas do Shuyu's feet make for Lin?
3. Why is Lin's response to "Leaves of Grass" peculiar to his usual tendencies towards literature?
4. What makes Lin hesitate to divorce his wife?
5. Why does Lin think an attempt to pay Shuyu or Bensheng for a divorce would fail?
6. Why is Lin concerned that Bensheng invites Ren to his house?
7. Why does Lin discourage Manna from joining any of the revolutionary parties in the hospital?
8. How do the two men in Manna's life in Chapter 4 leave her between a rock and a hard place?
9. Since Manna and Lin broke up, what has Manna been doing to spite Lin? How does this reach its climax in Chapter 10?
10. How does Lin share Manna's feelings about Geng Yang?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of "Waiting" is one of the most pivotal aspects of the book. Write an essay discussing the effect waiting has on the characters and their relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Pick one of the following positions to argue in an essay:
- Manna is the appropriate wife for Lin.
- Shuyu is the appropriate wife for Lin.
Essay Topic 3
Manna is a very trusting and dutiful person. Write an essay discussing Manna's view of humanity through her relationships and endeavors.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)