|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the restaurant, what is Geng Yang's advice for Lin to encourage his wife to consent to a divorce?
2. After Lin's father dies, how do his feelings about his wife and marriage change?
3. Early in her fixation, what deters Manna's pursuance of Lin?
4. Why does Shuyu ask to spend the night with Lin one night when he is home?
5. What is Geng Yang's real reason for inviting Manna to his room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What draws and repels Manna and Liang Meng to and from each other?
2. After Lin begins to try in earnest to divorce Shuyu, what are the new dilemmas that arise?
3. When Lin shows Manna the photo of his wife and daughter, what upset does it bring to their relationship? What solace does it bring to Manna?
4. Why does Lin discourage Manna from joining any of the revolutionary parties in the hospital?
5. What about Lin's response to Manna's prospective engagement make him rethink his attachment?
6. Why is Lin concerned that Bensheng invites Ren to his house?
7. Why is Manna more embarrassed than heartbroken at Commissar Wei's rejection?
8. Why is Manna's meeting with Commissar Wei very pleasant?
9. Why does Manna help Lin put dust covers on his books?
10. Why is Manna hesitant to become engaged to Mai Dong before her graduation? What is their deciding factor in holding off their engagement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the parallels between the characters and the political context of China. What do the characters represent about the evolving political organization of China? What role do Chinese politics play in the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about honesty and dishonesty answering the following questions:
- How do characters lie to each other?
- How do characters lie to themselves?
- What effect does honesty have on their lives?
- Which holds characters and relationships together best: lies or honesty?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relevance of women versus men in "Waiting." Argue the statement Ha Jin is making about gender, using the following ideas:
- Emotional tendencies of men or women in relationships.
- Self awareness, idealism, control, impressionability, vulnerability.
- Selfishness and selflessness.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)