|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Manna squat over a bucket for so long?
2. On his first day in Muji City, what is Liang Meng's reason for needing to return home so soon?
3. What is Lin's concern about Manna becoming engaged to another man?
4. What does Manna do for Lin that most fiancées do for their men?
5. What are Lin's conditions on Manna's prospective new fiancé?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shuyu's brother object to Lin's wish for a divorce?
2. How is Manna extremely selfish in the beginning of Chapter 7?
3. What draws and repels Manna and Liang Meng to and from each other?
4. What is the crowd at the courthouse defending when they are scolding Lin?
5. Why is Lin's response to "Leaves of Grass" peculiar to his usual tendencies towards literature?
6. How does Lin share Manna's feelings about Geng Yang?
7. How do the two men in Manna's life in Chapter 4 leave her between a rock and a hard place?
8. Why does Manna wish she had a daughter like Hua?
9. Is Lin going to leave Manna?
10. After the secret of Manna's rape gets out, how does the way the hospital staff treats Manna and Lin change?
Essay Topic 1
Dreams are a powerful tool of revelation and understanding for both the reader and the characters in "Waiting." Write an essay analyzing the use of dreams and internal dialogue in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Lin has a duplicitous personality. Analyze his character using the three following characteristics of Lin:
- Lin's need to please.
- Lin's superiority complex.
- Lin's inferiority complex.
Essay Topic 3
Early in the book, Lin has several daydreams and fantasies. Respond to the following questions:
- What do these dreams and fantasies say about Lin's innermost desires at the time?
- What are the parallels you can draw between his life in Part 3 and his fantasies in Part 1?
- What conclusions do you draw from Lin's reactions to getting what he wants and wanting what he can't have?
This section contains 1,588 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)