|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the prognosis for Lin's tuberculosis?
2. How much yen does Llin have in the bank?
3. Why does Lin's brother need to borrow money?
4. At the end of Part 2: Chapter 8, what does Lin regret talking to Manna about?
5. Who does Manna hit while riding her bike home one night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lin painted to be at fault through Chapter 9?
2. Although a relationship between Manna and Liang Meng is Lin's idea, what is his attitude? Why?
3. Why does Lin discourage Manna from joining any of the revolutionary parties in the hospital?
4. After Lin begins to try in earnest to divorce Shuyu, what are the new dilemmas that arise?
5. How does Manna begin to advance on Lin?
6. How is Manna extremely selfish in the beginning of Chapter 7?
7. How do the two men in Manna's life in Chapter 4 leave her between a rock and a hard place?
8. What is the crowd at the courthouse defending when they are scolding Lin?
9. What makes Lin hesitate to divorce his wife?
10. What does Lin's daydream about the nurses say about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tradition, rules, and standards sometimes play the most pivotal role in the relationships in "Waiting." Write an essay about the characters' multifaceted relationships with these obstacles.
Essay Topic 2
The title of "Waiting" is one of the most pivotal aspects of the book. Write an essay discussing the effect waiting has on the characters and their relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Early in the book, Lin has several daydreams and fantasies. Respond to the following questions:
- What do these dreams and fantasies say about Lin's innermost desires at the time?
- What are the parallels you can draw between his life in Part 3 and his fantasies in Part 1?
- What conclusions do you draw from Lin's reactions to getting what he wants and wanting what he can't have?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)