|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which revolutionary party is Manna interested in joining?
2. Who does Lin believe is the key player in making his divorce successful?
3. If Manna's parents had lived, she thinks they could have been ________.
4. What is Geng Yang's response to "The Flower Girl"?
5. For how long is Lin permitted to return home once a year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lin's response to "Leaves of Grass" peculiar to his usual tendencies towards literature?
2. What is the crowd at the courthouse defending when they are scolding Lin?
3. What draws and repels Manna and Liang Meng to and from each other?
4. Why won't Manna report her rape?
5. Why does Manna help Lin put dust covers on his books?
6. How does Lin share Manna's feelings about Geng Yang?
7. Since Manna and Lin broke up, what has Manna been doing to spite Lin? How does this reach its climax in Chapter 10?
8. How does Manna begin to advance on Lin?
9. Why does Lin discourage Manna from joining any of the revolutionary parties in the hospital?
10. When Lin shows Manna the photo of his wife and daughter, what upset does it bring to their relationship? What solace does it bring to Manna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Lin's children become some of the most relevant characters in his life. Respond to the following questions:
- What do each of his children provide for Lin?
- What do they represent about Lin's relationships with their mothers?
- What greater symbols do they offer to the book?
Essay Topic 2
The title of "Waiting" is one of the most pivotal aspects of the book. Write an essay discussing the effect waiting has on the characters and their relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Through the book, Lin ponders "love" and questions his understanding of it. Respond to the following questions:
- What does Lin think "love" is?
- What does "love" mean to Lin?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)