|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Manna hesitant to pursue sleeping with Lin?
2. What does Manna do for Lin that most fiancées do for their men?
3. Who does Manna hit while riding her bike home one night?
4. Commissar Wei stops in Muji City on his way to which border?
5. Why does the group congregate outside the courthouse after Lin and Shuyu's divorce hearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the two men in Manna's life in Chapter 4 leave her between a rock and a hard place?
2. Why is Lin's response to "Leaves of Grass" peculiar to his usual tendencies towards literature?
3. What about Lin's response to Manna's prospective engagement make him rethink his attachment?
4. Why does Lin think an attempt to pay Shuyu or Bensheng for a divorce would fail?
5. Why won't Manna report her rape?
6. Why has Lin doubted himself of being a "normal" man? How does he gauge "normal?"
7. How does Manna begin to advance on Lin?
8. Why is Manna more embarrassed than heartbroken at Commissar Wei's rejection?
9. Why is Lin concerned that Bensheng invites Ren to his house?
10. What does Lin's daydream about the nurses say about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Manna is a very trusting and dutiful person. Write an essay discussing Manna's view of humanity through her relationships and endeavors.
Essay Topic 2
Manna has had many suitors through "Waiting." Respond to the following questions:
- What draws Manna to these men?
- What repels Manna from these men?
- How much control does Manna have over her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relevance of women versus men in "Waiting." Argue the statement Ha Jin is making about gender, using the following ideas:
- Emotional tendencies of men or women in relationships.
- Self awareness, idealism, control, impressionability, vulnerability.
- Selfishness and selflessness.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)