|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lin and Manna break up, what does Lin do to occupy his time?
2. What do the villagers in Goose Village think of Shuyu?
3. On his first day in Muji City, what is Liang Meng's reason for needing to return home so soon?
4. Which revolutionary party is Manna interested in joining?
5. Since Lin thinks that his divorce is unlikely, what does he propose Manna should do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lin ashamed that he asks Manna to share the cost of the bribe?
2. How does Lin change the direction of his and Manna's relationship as his divorce seems less and less likely?
3. Why does Shuyu's brother object to Lin's wish for a divorce?
4. Why does Lin think an attempt to pay Shuyu or Bensheng for a divorce would fail?
5. Why is Manna more embarrassed than heartbroken at Commissar Wei's rejection?
6. How is Lin painted to be at fault through Chapter 9?
7. When Lin shows Manna the photo of his wife and daughter, what upset does it bring to their relationship? What solace does it bring to Manna?
8. Why is Manna's meeting with Commissar Wei very pleasant?
9. How do the two men in Manna's life in Chapter 4 leave her between a rock and a hard place?
10. What about Lin's response to Manna's prospective engagement make him rethink his attachment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lin has a duplicitous personality. Analyze his character using the three following characteristics of Lin:
- Lin's need to please.
- Lin's superiority complex.
- Lin's inferiority complex.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Lin's orchestration of relationships and the necessity of control. Respond to the following questions:
- How does Lin act when he is orchestrating the situation?
- How does Lin react when he has no control over another person or their actions?
Essay Topic 3
Through the book, Lin ponders "love" and questions his understanding of it. Respond to the following questions:
- What does Lin think "love" is?
- What does "love" mean to Lin?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)