|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Manna considered dangerously close to because of her age?
2. When Lin returns to the hospital after failing to ask his wife for a divorce he tells Manna he is too what to spend time with her?
3. What does Manna see Pingping Ma and Lin Kong doing that convinces her that they are a couple?
4. What is Ran Su's only condition on allowing Manna and Lin to take Geng Yang out to dinner?
5. When the hospital goes to see the film, how does Manna act regarding feelings for Lin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Lin's response to Manna's prospective engagement make him rethink his attachment?
2. Although a relationship between Manna and Liang Meng is Lin's idea, what is his attitude? Why?
3. Why is Lin's response to "Leaves of Grass" peculiar to his usual tendencies towards literature?
4. Why is Lin ashamed that he asks Manna to share the cost of the bribe?
5. What dilemmas do Shuyu's feet make for Lin?
6. What draws and repels Manna and Liang Meng to and from each other?
7. Why won't Manna report her rape?
8. Why is Lin concerned that Bensheng invites Ren to his house?
9. What is the crowd at the courthouse defending when they are scolding Lin?
10. How does Lin change the direction of his and Manna's relationship as his divorce seems less and less likely?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Manna has had many suitors through "Waiting." Respond to the following questions:
- What draws Manna to these men?
- What repels Manna from these men?
- How much control does Manna have over her life?
Essay Topic 2
Manna is a very trusting and dutiful person. Write an essay discussing Manna's view of humanity through her relationships and endeavors.
Essay Topic 3
Pick one of the following positions to argue in an essay:
- Manna is the appropriate wife for Lin.
- Shuyu is the appropriate wife for Lin.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)