|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Manna is lying, what is Commissar Wei's response to her claim of reading Russian novels?
2. What does Commissar Wei ask the hospital to recommend for him?
3. How much yen does Llin have in the bank?
4. Why does the audience cry during "The Flower Girl"?
5. Who does Lin believe is the key player in making his divorce successful?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lin think an attempt to pay Shuyu or Bensheng for a divorce would fail?
2. What does Lin's daydream about the nurses say about him?
3. Why does Manna help Lin put dust covers on his books?
4. Why won't Manna report her rape?
5. Why does Shuyu's brother object to Lin's wish for a divorce?
6. Why is Lin's response to "Leaves of Grass" peculiar to his usual tendencies towards literature?
7. What makes Lin hesitate to divorce his wife?
8. What is the crowd at the courthouse defending when they are scolding Lin?
9. Why is Manna more embarrassed than heartbroken at Commissar Wei's rejection?
10. How is Manna extremely selfish in the beginning of Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Manna is a very trusting and dutiful person. Write an essay discussing Manna's view of humanity through her relationships and endeavors.
Essay Topic 2
The discretion in "Waiting" is completely symmetrical: three parts with twelve chapters each. Write an essay discussing the relevance of how and when the book is divided, why this is, and what the organization reveals about the narrative, characters, and themes, and how it assists them.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the parallels between the characters and the political context of China. What do the characters represent about the evolving political organization of China? What role do Chinese politics play in the lives of the characters?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)