|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lin Kong's wife, Shuyu, live?
2. What is the prognosis for Lin's tuberculosis?
3. On the hospital camp-and-field training, what does Lin do to help Manna and the other nurses when they stop for the night?
4. What does Manna do for Lin that most fiancées do for their men?
5. Why does Haiyan think Lin refuses to take the opportunity to use her sister's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the crowd at the courthouse defending when they are scolding Lin?
2. How does Lin change the direction of his and Manna's relationship as his divorce seems less and less likely?
3. In Chapter 9, how does Lin prove not to be as cold to his family as he originally felt?
4. Why would Manna Kill herself if she were pregnant?
5. Why is Lin ashamed that he asks Manna to share the cost of the bribe?
6. Why is Lin's response to "Leaves of Grass" peculiar to his usual tendencies towards literature?
7. Why doesn't Geng Yang cry during "The Flower Girl?" What conclusion does Manna draw about him?
8. What about seeing Geng Yang upsets Manna so much?
9. Although a relationship between Manna and Liang Meng is Lin's idea, what is his attitude? Why?
10. How does Lin feel about being a father?
Essay Topic 1
Lin has a duplicitous personality. Analyze his character using the three following characteristics of Lin:
- Lin's need to please.
- Lin's superiority complex.
- Lin's inferiority complex.
Essay Topic 2
Pick one of the following positions to argue in an essay:
- Manna is the appropriate wife for Lin.
- Shuyu is the appropriate wife for Lin.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the parallels between the characters and the political context of China. What do the characters represent about the evolving political organization of China? What role do Chinese politics play in the lives of the characters?
This section contains 1,526 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)