|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Commissar Wei stops in Muji City on his way to which border?
2. What do the villagers in Goose Village think of Shuyu?
3. Since Lin thinks that his divorce is unlikely, what does he propose Manna should do?
4. What is Lin's observation of how Geng Yang speaks?
5. What unnerves Manna about Geng Yang when she sees him at the bus stop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lin change the direction of his and Manna's relationship as his divorce seems less and less likely?
2. How is Manna extremely selfish in the beginning of Chapter 7?
3. What does Lin's daydream about the nurses say about him?
4. Why is Lin's response to "Leaves of Grass" peculiar to his usual tendencies towards literature?
5. How does Manna begin to advance on Lin?
6. Although a relationship between Manna and Liang Meng is Lin's idea, what is his attitude? Why?
7. Why is Manna more embarrassed than heartbroken at Commissar Wei's rejection?
8. How do the two men in Manna's life in Chapter 4 leave her between a rock and a hard place?
9. Why is Lin ashamed that he asks Manna to share the cost of the bribe?
10. What is the crowd at the courthouse defending when they are scolding Lin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ha Jin frequently uses animal imagery in reference to his characters. Write an essay discussing Ha Jin's tendencies of anthropomorphizing his characters and what significance his choices of animals hold for his characters.
Essay Topic 2
Pick one of the following positions to argue in an essay:
- Manna is the appropriate wife for Lin.
- Shuyu is the appropriate wife for Lin.
Essay Topic 3
Early in the book, Lin has several daydreams and fantasies. Respond to the following questions:
- What do these dreams and fantasies say about Lin's innermost desires at the time?
- What are the parallels you can draw between his life in Part 3 and his fantasies in Part 1?
- What conclusions do you draw from Lin's reactions to getting what he wants and wanting what he can't have?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)