Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Manna squat over a bucket for so long?
2. On his first day in Muji City, what is Liang Meng's reason for needing to return home so soon?
3. What is Lin's concern about Manna becoming engaged to another man?
4. What does Manna do for Lin that most fiancées do for their men?
5. What are Lin's conditions on Manna's prospective new fiancé?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shuyu's brother object to Lin's wish for a divorce?
2. How is Manna extremely selfish in the beginning of Chapter 7?
3. What draws and repels Manna and Liang Meng to and from each other?
4. What is the crowd at the courthouse defending when they are scolding Lin?
5. Why is Lin's response to "Leaves of Grass" peculiar to his usual tendencies towards literature?
6. How does Lin share Manna's feelings about Geng Yang?
7. How do the two men in Manna's life in Chapter 4 leave her between a rock and a hard place?
8. Why does Manna wish she had a daughter like Hua?
9. Is Lin going to leave Manna?
10. After the secret of Manna's rape gets out, how does the way the hospital staff treats Manna and Lin change?
Tradition, rules, and standards sometimes play the most pivotal role in the relationships in "Waiting." Write an essay about the characters' multifaceted relationships with these obstacles.
The heart is a recurring symbol in "Waiting." Write an essay about the relevance of when and how it is used and what it represents about the characters and relationships.
Write an essay about honesty and dishonesty answering the following questions:
- How do characters lie to each other?
- How do characters lie to themselves?
- What effect does honesty have on their lives?
- Which holds characters and relationships together best: lies or honesty?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)