|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Manna tell Lin her blood pressure is?
2. When Manna tells Lin the truth about her rape, he is very angry at first and then becomes what?
3. What does Lin compare the box at the bottom of Manna's closet to?
(a) Religious artifact.
(b) Cinerary casket.
(d) Jewelry box.
4. What is the rule about foot-binding that Shuyu explains to one of the nurses?
(a) You cannot take pain medication.
(b) You must be younger than ten to begin the binding.
(c) Only the husband can see them.
(d) You cannot paint your toenails.
5. Why does Manna tell Ran Su she wants Lin to stay home more?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) Lin is in poor health.
(c) She is dying.
(d) Lin is a good cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of the class that Lin teaches orderly nurses?
2. What do the women at the hair salon say about Lin for wanting to divorce Shuyu?
3. Why does Lin go into the city so frequently after Manna gets pregnant?
4. Why is Bensheng upset after Lin sells the house?
5. Manna's heart murmur often turns to a _______ rhythm.
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Hua agree with Lin's desire to divorce Shuyu?
2. Is Bensheng greedy? Why or why not?
3. What about Ran Su's blessing makes Manna so upset?
4. Why is Hua not difficult to convince to go to Muji City?
5. In Chapter 12, time accelerates through years. What has changed or stayed the same?
6. Why does Lin want Shuyu and Hua to have urban residential status?
7. Is Manna turning into a jealous wife?
8. Why does Manna wish she had a daughter like Hua?
9. What are the double standards of blame in Chapter 10?
10. After the secret of Manna's rape gets out, how does the way the hospital staff treats Manna and Lin change?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)