|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Manna throw a temper tantrum while Lin is cooking dinner?
(a) He is talking too much.
(b) She does not like the taste.
(c) He made too much.
(d) He burned the rice.
2. What is the rule about foot-binding that Shuyu explains to one of the nurses?
(a) You cannot take pain medication.
(b) You cannot paint your toenails.
(c) Only the husband can see them.
(d) You must be younger than ten to begin the binding.
3. Why is Lin nervous about the health of his baby when Manna goes into labor?
(a) The obstetrician is a novice.
(b) They are premature.
(c) Manna has a weak heart.
(d) The hospital is unsanitary.
4. What does Geng Yang do in Manna's dream?
(a) Kidnaps the twins.
(b) Kills Lin.
(d) Rapes her.
5. What is Shuyu's only request of Lin at the divorce hearing?
(a) Lin pay her 2,000 yen a year.
(b) She can keep the family cat.
(c) Lin finds Hua a husband.
(d) Hua be placed with a job.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the nurses at the hospital treat Manna and Lin after they have been together for a long time?
2. Why do Lin and Manna sleep peacefully at the end of Chapter 5?
3. Why does Lin go to visit Hua and Shuyu at the match plant?
4. Manna's heart murmur often turns to a _______ rhythm.
5. Why does Manna blame Lin for her rape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the double standards of blame in Chapter 10?
2. Why does Lin think he and Manna shouldn't make love so much?
3. Is Shuyu simple-minded?
4. Do people in the hospital view Shuyu as a joke?
5. Is Manna the type of lover Lin predicted?
6. What about seeing Geng Yang upsets Manna so much?
7. Does Lin regret divorcing Shuyu?
8. After River and Lake are healthy again, does Manna and Lin's marriage become right and peaceful?
9. Why does Manna wish she had a daughter like Hua?
10. In Chapter 9, how does Lin prove not to be as cold to his family as he originally felt?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)