|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Manna throw a temper tantrum while Lin is cooking dinner?
(a) He made too much.
(b) He burned the rice.
(c) She does not like the taste.
(d) He is talking too much.
2. How many children are families usually permitted to have?
3. What do Manna's eyes look like the day after her rape?
(a) They will not open.
(b) They are bloodshot.
(c) They are red and swollen.
(d) They are blue-lidded.
4. How does Geng Yang look on television?
5. What does Manna decide to do if she is pregnant?
(a) Kill herself.
(b) Get an abortion.
(c) Have the baby and pretend Lin is the father.
(d) Run away to another city.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lin go into the city so frequently after Manna gets pregnant?
2. What do Manna's legs feel like as she walks away from spying on Lin's class?
3. Why doesn't Ran Su tell his wife anything?
4. Who does Snow Goose say Lin's sons look like?
5. What does Bensheng's donkey eat too much of that makes its stomach burst?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lin think is the effect of Manna's suffering?
2. Is Manna turning into a jealous wife?
3. Is Lin going to leave Manna?
4. Why doesn't Lin stay in the delivery room while Manna is giving birth?
5. How does tradition aid Lin in Chapter 9?
6. Is Lin secretive?
7. Why does Lin think they should tell Ran Su about Manna's rape as soon as possible?
8. After the secret of Manna's rape gets out, how does the way the hospital staff treats Manna and Lin change?
9. Why does Lin want Shuyu and Hua to have urban residential status?
10. Is Shuyu simple-minded?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)