|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lin sees Manna at the mess hall for the first time in days, he sees a flicker of _______ in her face.
2. What has Lin done to help Manna through her illness?
(a) Spending more time with her.
(b) Earning more money.
(c) Buying her presents.
3. What does Manna spend 70 yen on in preparation for the baby?
(a) Knitting wool.
(b) Fancy diapers.
(c) Parenting books.
(d) A crib.
4. Why is Bensheng upset after Lin sells the house?
(a) Because he does not leave much for Bensheng.
(b) Because Shuyu wants to keep it.
(c) Because that house holds so many memories.
(d) Because he under-sold it.
5. When Lin notices how sick Manna looks, what does he compare her to?
(a) An old woman.
(b) A monster.
(c) A pregnant woman.
(d) A leper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the prognosis for Shuyu's back condition?
2. What made the pus drain after Shuyu's feet were bound?
3. Why does Manna have to leave the wedding?
4. Why doesn't Lin know how to medically treat a rape victim?
5. After the secret of her rape gets out, how does Mrs. Su greet Manna every time she sees her?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 12, time accelerates through years. What has changed or stayed the same?
2. After the secret of Manna's rape gets out, how does the way the hospital staff treats Manna and Lin change?
3. In Chapter 9, how does Lin prove not to be as cold to his family as he originally felt?
4. Why does Lin want Shuyu and Hua to have urban residential status?
5. Why doesn't Lin stay in the delivery room while Manna is giving birth?
6. Is Manna the type of lover Lin predicted?
7. How does tradition aid Lin in Chapter 9?
8. Is Lin going to leave Manna?
9. How does Lin feel about being a father?
10. Do people in the hospital view Shuyu as a joke?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)