|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ren ask Lin to bring home from the hospital to help his son's stomach?
(a) Tower Candy.
(c) Pepto Bismuth.
(d) Club Soda.
2. What does Manna compare herself to at the prospect of her engagement to Commissar Wei?
(a) A flower in bloom.
(b) A thief.
(c) A princess.
(d) A prostitute.
3. When the hospital goes to see the film, how does Manna act regarding feelings for Lin?
(a) Lin feels curious of her feelings.
(b) She is very indiscreet.
(c) She keeps them a secret.
(d) She tells him outright.
4. What unnerves Manna about Geng Yang when she sees him at the bus stop?
(a) His grin.
(b) His flirtatious attitude.
(c) His clothing.
(d) His quietness.
5. What controversial items does Manna see in Lin's room?
(a) Foreign books.
(b) Pictures of his family.
(c) His laundry.
(d) A stack of journals.
Short Answer Questions
1. If Manna's parents had lived, she thinks they could have been ________.
2. Why does Lin's brother need to borrow money?
3. What happens to Lin's weight when he falls ill with tuberculosis?
4. What holiday is the staff banquet celebrating at the beginning of Chapter 10?
5. What are Lin's conditions on Manna's prospective new fiancé?
Short Essay Questions
1. What draws and repels Manna and Liang Meng to and from each other?
2. Since Manna and Lin broke up, what has Manna been doing to spite Lin? How does this reach its climax in Chapter 10?
3. How is Manna extremely selfish in the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. How do the two men in Manna's life in Chapter 4 leave her between a rock and a hard place?
5. Why is Manna more embarrassed than heartbroken at Commissar Wei's rejection?
6. What makes Lin hesitate to divorce his wife?
7. What is the crowd at the courthouse defending when they are scolding Lin?
8. What about Lin's response to Manna's prospective engagement make him rethink his attachment?
9. Why is Lin concerned that Bensheng invites Ren to his house?
10. Why won't Manna report her rape?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)