|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Geng Yang think Lin should carry out his relationship with Manna?
(a) Keep her until he grows tired of her.
(b) Keep her as his mistress.
(c) End the relationship soon.
(d) Pretend like he's married to her.
2. What is the identifying feature of the woman who Lin sleeps with in his dream?
(a) Her voice.
(b) Her long fingers.
(c) Her thin face.
(d) A birthmark on her arm.
3. What American poet does Commissar Wei recommend to Manna?
(a) Robert Frost.
(b) Sylvia Plath.
(c) Allen Ginsberg.
(d) Walt Whitman.
4. While Lin ghostwrites Manna's report on "Leaves of Grass," what aspect of the poems does he focus on?
5. What does Lin observe about Ran Su's feet?
(a) They are feminine.
(b) They are abnormally large.
(c) They are worn and calloused.
(d) They are swollen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Lin give Shuyu for wanting a divorce?
2. What happens to Lin's weight when he falls ill with tuberculosis?
3. After a chief in the City Administration dies, what does Manna begin to do?
4. Why does manna ask to be left behind to die during the hospital camp-and-field training?
5. What are Lin's conditions on Manna's prospective new fiancé?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lin change the direction of his and Manna's relationship as his divorce seems less and less likely?
2. How does Manna begin to advance on Lin?
3. What about Lin's response to Manna's prospective engagement make him rethink his attachment?
4. How is Manna extremely selfish in the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. How do the two men in Manna's life in Chapter 4 leave her between a rock and a hard place?
6. Although a relationship between Manna and Liang Meng is Lin's idea, what is his attitude? Why?
7. Since Manna and Lin broke up, what has Manna been doing to spite Lin? How does this reach its climax in Chapter 10?
8. Why is Manna more embarrassed than heartbroken at Commissar Wei's rejection?
9. Why is Lin's response to "Leaves of Grass" peculiar to his usual tendencies towards literature?
10. Why does Manna help Lin put dust covers on his books?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)