|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lin's cousin ask for in his letter?
(a) A place to stay.
(c) A recommendation for a job.
(d) To find him a wife.
2. Why can't anyone play cards as the people in Lin's dream do?
(a) Because no one ever learned how to play.
(b) The hospital confiscates cards because they are a distraction.
(c) They are all too busy with work.
(d) Cards are banned.
3. What is Lin's favorite part of visiting home?
(a) Seeing his daughter.
(b) Working on the farm.
(c) Escaping the city.
(d) Seeing his wife.
4. What does Manna compare herself to at the prospect of her engagement to Commissar Wei?
(a) A flower in bloom.
(b) A princess.
(c) A thief.
(d) A prostitute.
5. What does Commissar Wei ask the hospital to recommend for him?
(a) An apartment to rent in Muji City.
(b) A good movie.
(c) A good medicine for back pain.
(d) A nurse or doctor to marry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Commissar Wei stops in Muji City on his way to which border?
2. As Lin's attempts to divorce Shuyu continue to fail, how does Manna come to treat the other nurses?
3. Why does Geng Yang think Lin should sleep with Manna?
4. Why does Manna squat over a bucket for so long?
5. Who does Manna hit while riding her bike home one night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lin think an attempt to pay Shuyu or Bensheng for a divorce would fail?
2. What is the relationship Manna Wu invents between Lin Kong and Pinging Ma? Why does Manna think Pingping is more appealing to Lin than she is?
3. Why does Lin discourage Manna from joining any of the revolutionary parties in the hospital?
4. Why is Lin's response to "Leaves of Grass" peculiar to his usual tendencies towards literature?
5. What draws and repels Manna and Liang Meng to and from each other?
6. Although a relationship between Manna and Liang Meng is Lin's idea, what is his attitude? Why?
7. After Lin begins to try in earnest to divorce Shuyu, what are the new dilemmas that arise?
8. Why is Manna more embarrassed than heartbroken at Commissar Wei's rejection?
9. What about Lin's response to Manna's prospective engagement make him rethink his attachment?
10. When Lin shows Manna the photo of his wife and daughter, what upset does it bring to their relationship? What solace does it bring to Manna?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)