|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Lin's second attempt to divorce his wife, what does Manna buy in anticipation that she will be married soon?
(b) A baby crib.
(c) New bedding.
(d) A wedding dress.
2. After being deployed, what does Mai Dong write to Manna to tell her?
(a) He is marrying his niece.
(b) He wants to marry her when he returns.
(c) He has a girlfriend.
(d) He is marrying his cousin.
3. What does the judge require Lin bring to him before the divorce hearing can continue?
(a) Proof that Shuyu is having an affair.
(b) A letter or recommendation.
(c) Information about Manna.
(d) A glass of water.
4. What American poet does Commissar Wei recommend to Manna?
(a) Sylvia Plath.
(b) Allen Ginsberg.
(c) Walt Whitman.
(d) Robert Frost.
5. What unnerves Manna about Geng Yang when she sees him at the bus stop?
(a) His flirtatious attitude.
(b) His clothing.
(c) His quietness.
(d) His grin.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Manna wins a prize for table tennis, what does she tell Lin is her wish?
2. What does Manna see Pingping Ma and Lin Kong doing that convinces her that they are a couple?
3. Who is Lin's new roommate when he gets tuberculosis?
4. What is Lin's favorite part of visiting home?
5. Why does Geng Yang ask Manna to come to his room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the two men in Manna's life in Chapter 4 leave her between a rock and a hard place?
2. Why won't Manna report her rape?
3. Why does Lin think an attempt to pay Shuyu or Bensheng for a divorce would fail?
4. How is Manna extremely selfish in the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. Why is Lin's response to "Leaves of Grass" peculiar to his usual tendencies towards literature?
6. Why is Lin concerned that Bensheng invites Ren to his house?
7. What is the crowd at the courthouse defending when they are scolding Lin?
8. How does Manna begin to advance on Lin?
9. What makes Lin hesitate to divorce his wife?
10. Why does Lin discourage Manna from joining any of the revolutionary parties in the hospital?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)