|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Manna squat over a bucket for so long?
(a) To prevent pregnancy.
(b) She is constipated.
(c) She is cold.
(d) Her back is sore.
2. Where does Lin Kong's wife, Shuyu, live?
(b) Muji City.
(c) Goose Village.
3. At the end of Part 2: Chapter 8, what does Lin regret talking to Manna about?
(a) Paying Bensheng.
(b) Arranging another boyfriend for her.
(c) Postponing the divorce.
(d) Finding her a transfer.
4. Why does the audience cry during "The Flower Girl"?
(a) The move is violent.
(b) The young girls in the movie are crying.
(c) It brings back bad memories.
(d) The main character dies.
5. Why do Lin's comrades object to his long, parted in the middle hairstyle?
(a) Because he looks too intellectual.
(b) Because he looks too vain.
(c) Because he looks disheveled.
(d) Because he looks too feminine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Lin's weight when he falls ill with tuberculosis?
2. What unnerves Manna about Geng Yang when she sees him at the bus stop?
3. What does Manna see Pingping Ma and Lin Kong doing that convinces her that they are a couple?
4. When Ran Su is cautioning Lin about his relationship with Mann, what does he mean by "abnormal" relationship?
5. What controversial items does Manna see in Lin's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lin painted to be at fault through Chapter 9?
2. Why does Lin discourage Manna from joining any of the revolutionary parties in the hospital?
3. What is the relationship Manna Wu invents between Lin Kong and Pinging Ma? Why does Manna think Pingping is more appealing to Lin than she is?
4. How do the two men in Manna's life in Chapter 4 leave her between a rock and a hard place?
5. What is the crowd at the courthouse defending when they are scolding Lin?
6. Why is Lin concerned that Bensheng invites Ren to his house?
7. Although a relationship between Manna and Liang Meng is Lin's idea, what is his attitude? Why?
8. Why is Lin's response to "Leaves of Grass" peculiar to his usual tendencies towards literature?
9. Why does Lin think an attempt to pay Shuyu or Bensheng for a divorce would fail?
10. Why is Manna more embarrassed than heartbroken at Commissar Wei's rejection?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)