|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the newspaper article about Lin and Shuyu's divorce hearing?
(a) To discourage Lin from continuing.
(b) To criticize the judge.
(c) To add to the statistics of divorce in China.
(d) To support Lin's decision.
2. Who does Manna hit while riding her bike home one night?
(c) Ran Su.
(d) Ran Su's wife.
3. Why does Haiyan think Lin refuses to take the opportunity to use her sister's house?
(a) Because he is afraid of getting caught.
(b) Because he doesn't like Haiyan's sister's house.
(c) Because he doesn't want to get Manna pregnant.
(d) Because he doesn't love Manna enough.
4. Who is Lin's new roommate when he gets tuberculosis?
(a) Mai Dong.
(b) Liang Meng.
(c) Ran Su.
(d) Geng Yang.
5. What American poet does Commissar Wei recommend to Manna?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Sylvia Plath.
(c) Allen Ginsberg.
(d) Robert Frost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Geng Yang's real reason for inviting Manna to his room?
2. What is the reason Manna gives Lin for wanting to sleep with him?
3. Where does Lin Kong's wife, Shuyu, live?
4. At the holiday banquet, what does Lin warn Manna not to do so much?
5. Why does the group congregate outside the courthouse after Lin and Shuyu's divorce hearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Lin doubted himself of being a "normal" man? How does he gauge "normal?"
2. Although a relationship between Manna and Liang Meng is Lin's idea, what is his attitude? Why?
3. Why is Lin's response to "Leaves of Grass" peculiar to his usual tendencies towards literature?
4. What is the crowd at the courthouse defending when they are scolding Lin?
5. Why is Manna hesitant to become engaged to Mai Dong before her graduation? What is their deciding factor in holding off their engagement?
6. How is Lin painted to be at fault through Chapter 9?
7. Why does Lin discourage Manna from joining any of the revolutionary parties in the hospital?
8. After Lin begins to try in earnest to divorce Shuyu, what are the new dilemmas that arise?
9. Why won't Manna report her rape?
10. What does Lin's daydream about the nurses say about him?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)