|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Manna considered dangerously close to because of her age?
(a) Getting fired from her job.
(b) Becoming seriously ill.
(c) Being sent to a less demanding hospital.
(d) Becoming an old maid.
2. Commissar Wei stops in Muji City on his way to which border?
3. Why does Geng Yang ask Manna to come to his room?
(a) So he can give her Lin's books.
(b) To say goodbye.
(c) To give her a present.
(d) So she can help him pack.
4. What reason does Lin give Shuyu for wanting a divorce?
(a) He doesn't want to travel to Goose Village anymore.
(b) She can't bear any more children.
(c) He wants to make a home in the city.
(d) He is bored with her.
5. What does Lin observe about Ran Su's feet?
(a) They are swollen.
(b) They are worn and calloused.
(c) They are feminine.
(d) They are abnormally large.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the hospital camp-and-field training, what does Lin do to help Manna and the other nurses when they stop for the night?
2. Why do Lin's comrades object to his long, parted in the middle hairstyle?
3. After being deployed, what does Mai Dong write to Manna to tell her?
4. What is Ran Su's only condition on allowing Manna and Lin to take Geng Yang out to dinner?
5. What is the prognosis for Lin's tuberculosis?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the two men in Manna's life in Chapter 4 leave her between a rock and a hard place?
2. Why is Lin concerned that Bensheng invites Ren to his house?
3. Why does Lin discourage Manna from joining any of the revolutionary parties in the hospital?
4. How does Manna begin to advance on Lin?
5. What makes Lin hesitate to divorce his wife?
6. When Lin shows Manna the photo of his wife and daughter, what upset does it bring to their relationship? What solace does it bring to Manna?
7. How is Lin painted to be at fault through Chapter 9?
8. Why has Lin doubted himself of being a "normal" man? How does he gauge "normal?"
9. How is Manna extremely selfish in the beginning of Chapter 7?
10. How does Lin change the direction of his and Manna's relationship as his divorce seems less and less likely?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)