|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ren ask Lin to bring home from the hospital to help his son's stomach?
(a) Tower Candy.
(b) Pepto Bismuth.
(c) Club Soda.
2. When Lin is questioned by the voice in his head about his refusal to sleep with Manna, he says that their relationship is not based on what?
(a) The rules of society.
(b) The flesh.
(d) What others want.
3. During Lin's second attempt to divorce his wife, what does Manna buy in anticipation that she will be married soon?
(b) A wedding dress.
(c) New bedding.
(d) A baby crib.
4. What controversial items does Manna see in Lin's room?
(a) Pictures of his family.
(b) Foreign books.
(c) A stack of journals.
(d) His laundry.
5. Why does Geng Yang think Lin should sleep with Manna?
(a) For enjoyment.
(b) To have a child.
(c) To motivate himself to divorce Shuyu.
(d) To make Manna undesirable to other men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manna compare herself to at the prospect of her engagement to Commissar Wei?
2. As Lin's attempts to divorce Shuyu continue to fail, how does Manna come to treat the other nurses?
3. Why can't anyone play cards as the people in Lin's dream do?
4. At the restaurant, what is Geng Yang's advice for Lin to encourage his wife to consent to a divorce?
5. When Ran Su is cautioning Lin about his relationship with Mann, what does he mean by "abnormal" relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Lin doubted himself of being a "normal" man? How does he gauge "normal?"
2. Why is Lin's response to "Leaves of Grass" peculiar to his usual tendencies towards literature?
3. How does Lin change the direction of his and Manna's relationship as his divorce seems less and less likely?
4. How is Lin painted to be at fault through Chapter 9?
5. What is the crowd at the courthouse defending when they are scolding Lin?
6. How does Manna begin to advance on Lin?
7. Why does Shuyu's brother object to Lin's wish for a divorce?
8. After Lin begins to try in earnest to divorce Shuyu, what are the new dilemmas that arise?
9. What dilemmas do Shuyu's feet make for Lin?
10. How do the two men in Manna's life in Chapter 4 leave her between a rock and a hard place?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)