|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lin's brother need to borrow money?
(a) To pay off his debts.
(b) To bet on a game.
(c) To surprise his wife with a gift.
(d) To send his children to private school.
2. What do Manna and Liang Meng talk about when they first meet at the hospital?
(d) The weather.
3. Why can't Manna be transferred to another hospital?
(a) Manna refuses to go.
(b) Lin convinces them not to.
(c) She isn't talented enough.
(d) Too many nurses are in the service.
4. What is Ran Su's only condition on allowing Manna and Lin to take Geng Yang out to dinner?
(a) Lin must pay for the meal.
(b) The three must stay together.
(c) Ran Su can attend as well.
(d) They must go out during the day.
5. After being deployed, what does Mai Dong write to Manna to tell her?
(a) He has a girlfriend.
(b) He wants to marry her when he returns.
(c) He is marrying his niece.
(d) He is marrying his cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lin's observation of how Geng Yang speaks?
2. What does Lin compare himself to although he is married?
3. Lin's roles as an officer and doctor make him what kind of a man?
4. Who does Lin believe is the key player in making his divorce successful?
5. After Manna wins a prize for table tennis, what does she tell Lin is her wish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lin discourage Manna from joining any of the revolutionary parties in the hospital?
2. When Lin shows Manna the photo of his wife and daughter, what upset does it bring to their relationship? What solace does it bring to Manna?
3. How does Lin share Manna's feelings about Geng Yang?
4. What draws and repels Manna and Liang Meng to and from each other?
5. What makes Lin hesitate to divorce his wife?
6. What is the crowd at the courthouse defending when they are scolding Lin?
7. How is Lin painted to be at fault through Chapter 9?
8. How is Manna extremely selfish in the beginning of Chapter 7?
9. What is the relationship Manna Wu invents between Lin Kong and Pinging Ma? Why does Manna think Pingping is more appealing to Lin than she is?
10. After Lin begins to try in earnest to divorce Shuyu, what are the new dilemmas that arise?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)