|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Manna hesitant to pursue sleeping with Lin?
(a) Because she may be expelled from the army.
(b) Because she is a virgin.
(c) Because she doesn't want to get pregnant.
(d) Because she doesn't want to manipulate Lin.
2. Who is Lin's new roommate when he gets tuberculosis?
(a) Ran Su.
(b) Geng Yang.
(c) Liang Meng.
(d) Mai Dong.
3. What is the identifying feature of the woman who Lin sleeps with in his dream?
(a) Her thin face.
(b) A birthmark on her arm.
(c) Her long fingers.
(d) Her voice.
4. What reason does Lin give Shuyu for wanting a divorce?
(a) He is bored with her.
(b) He doesn't want to travel to Goose Village anymore.
(c) She can't bear any more children.
(d) He wants to make a home in the city.
5. What are Lin's conditions on Manna's prospective new fiancé?
(a) He still allows them to see each other.
(b) She is promoted and goes to college.
(c) He takes her far away.
(d) He doesn't ever divorce her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Manna considered dangerously close to because of her age?
2. What holiday is the staff banquet celebrating at the beginning of Chapter 10?
3. When Liang Meng and Manna meet alone in the city, whose poetry does he quote?
4. What is Lin's concern about Manna becoming engaged to another man?
5. Where does Lin Kong's wife, Shuyu, live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dilemmas do Shuyu's feet make for Lin?
2. How is Manna extremely selfish in the beginning of Chapter 7?
3. What draws and repels Manna and Liang Meng to and from each other?
4. Why won't Manna report her rape?
5. What does Lin's daydream about the nurses say about him?
6. How is Lin painted to be at fault through Chapter 9?
7. Why is Manna more embarrassed than heartbroken at Commissar Wei's rejection?
8. Although a relationship between Manna and Liang Meng is Lin's idea, what is his attitude? Why?
9. What is the crowd at the courthouse defending when they are scolding Lin?
10. How does Lin share Manna's feelings about Geng Yang?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)