|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lin's concern about Manna becoming engaged to another man?
(a) She will be cheated on.
(b) She will continue to carry on her affair with Lin.
(c) He isn't ready to lose her.
(d) She might be taken advantage of.
2. How long have Lin and Shuyu been separated for at the beginning of "Waiting"?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Eighteen years.
(c) Four months.
(d) Two years.
3. Since Lin thinks that his divorce is unlikely, what does he propose Manna should do?
(a) Transfer to another hospital.
(b) Wait for him.
(c) Kill his wife.
(d) Find another boyfriend.
4. Commissar Wei stops in Muji City on his way to which border?
5. What does Commissar Wei call to tell Ran Su the day after his meeting with Manna?
(a) She smells bad and should shower more.
(b) She is incompetent and should be fired.
(c) He enjoys her and wants to keep in contact.
(d) She is ugly and he doesn't want to see her again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Commissar Wei ask the hospital to recommend for him?
2. Which revolutionary party is Manna interested in joining?
3. What holiday is the staff banquet celebrating at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. Why does Manna find Geng Yang "interesting?"
5. How does Geng Yang think Lin should carry out his relationship with Manna?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Manna begin to advance on Lin?
2. When Lin shows Manna the photo of his wife and daughter, what upset does it bring to their relationship? What solace does it bring to Manna?
3. Why does Lin discourage Manna from joining any of the revolutionary parties in the hospital?
4. How does Lin share Manna's feelings about Geng Yang?
5. Why is Manna more embarrassed than heartbroken at Commissar Wei's rejection?
6. Why is Manna's meeting with Commissar Wei very pleasant?
7. How do the two men in Manna's life in Chapter 4 leave her between a rock and a hard place?
8. After Lin begins to try in earnest to divorce Shuyu, what are the new dilemmas that arise?
9. What draws and repels Manna and Liang Meng to and from each other?
10. What dilemmas do Shuyu's feet make for Lin?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)