|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Shuyu ask to spend the night with Lin one night when he is home?
(a) She misses him when he is away.
(b) She doesn't want to share her room with their houseguests.
(c) She wants to give him a son.
(d) She is afraid of the dark.
2. Why can't Manna be transferred to another hospital?
(a) Too many nurses are in the service.
(b) Manna refuses to go.
(c) Lin convinces them not to.
(d) She isn't talented enough.
3. What is Manna considered dangerously close to because of her age?
(a) Becoming an old maid.
(b) Becoming seriously ill.
(c) Being sent to a less demanding hospital.
(d) Getting fired from her job.
4. What does Lin compare himself to although he is married?
(a) A ladies' man.
(b) An adulterer.
(c) A bachelor.
(d) A widower.
5. Why does Geng Yang think Lin should sleep with Manna?
(a) To make Manna undesirable to other men.
(b) For enjoyment.
(c) To have a child.
(d) To motivate himself to divorce Shuyu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the newspaper article about Lin and Shuyu's divorce hearing?
2. Early in her fixation, what deters Manna's pursuance of Lin?
3. While Lin ghostwrites Manna's report on "Leaves of Grass," what aspect of the poems does he focus on?
4. Why does manna ask to be left behind to die during the hospital camp-and-field training?
5. When Lin returns to the hospital after failing to ask his wife for a divorce he tells Manna he is too what to spend time with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the two men in Manna's life in Chapter 4 leave her between a rock and a hard place?
2. Why is Manna hesitant to become engaged to Mai Dong before her graduation? What is their deciding factor in holding off their engagement?
3. Since Manna and Lin broke up, what has Manna been doing to spite Lin? How does this reach its climax in Chapter 10?
4. How is Manna extremely selfish in the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. After Lin begins to try in earnest to divorce Shuyu, what are the new dilemmas that arise?
6. What draws and repels Manna and Liang Meng to and from each other?
7. What makes Lin hesitate to divorce his wife?
8. Why does Lin discourage Manna from joining any of the revolutionary parties in the hospital?
9. What is the crowd at the courthouse defending when they are scolding Lin?
10. Why is Lin ashamed that he asks Manna to share the cost of the bribe?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)