|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ran Su's only condition on allowing Manna and Lin to take Geng Yang out to dinner?
(a) The three must stay together.
(b) Lin must pay for the meal.
(c) They must go out during the day.
(d) Ran Su can attend as well.
2. For how long is Lin permitted to return home once a year?
(a) Two months.
(b) One month.
(c) Twelve days.
(d) One week.
3. What rare food does Bensheng bring to Lin's house?
4. Why can't Manna be transferred to another hospital?
(a) She isn't talented enough.
(b) Too many nurses are in the service.
(c) Manna refuses to go.
(d) Lin convinces them not to.
5. Why is Manna hesitant to pursue sleeping with Lin?
(a) Because she doesn't want to manipulate Lin.
(b) Because she may be expelled from the army.
(c) Because she doesn't want to get pregnant.
(d) Because she is a virgin.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lin returns to the hospital after failing to ask his wife for a divorce he tells Manna he is too what to spend time with her?
2. Lin's roles as an officer and doctor make him what kind of a man?
3. Where does Lin Kong's wife, Shuyu, live?
4. After Lin's father dies, how do his feelings about his wife and marriage change?
5. Why does Manna squat over a bucket for so long?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although a relationship between Manna and Liang Meng is Lin's idea, what is his attitude? Why?
2. How is Lin painted to be at fault through Chapter 9?
3. How does Lin change the direction of his and Manna's relationship as his divorce seems less and less likely?
4. What is the relationship Manna Wu invents between Lin Kong and Pinging Ma? Why does Manna think Pingping is more appealing to Lin than she is?
5. Why does Lin discourage Manna from joining any of the revolutionary parties in the hospital?
6. How do the two men in Manna's life in Chapter 4 leave her between a rock and a hard place?
7. Why does Lin think an attempt to pay Shuyu or Bensheng for a divorce would fail?
8. What makes Lin hesitate to divorce his wife?
9. Since Manna and Lin broke up, what has Manna been doing to spite Lin? How does this reach its climax in Chapter 10?
10. Why is Lin ashamed that he asks Manna to share the cost of the bribe?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)