|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Haiyan think Lin refuses to take the opportunity to use her sister's house?
(a) Because he is afraid of getting caught.
(b) Because he doesn't like Haiyan's sister's house.
(c) Because he doesn't want to get Manna pregnant.
(d) Because he doesn't love Manna enough.
2. What American poet does Commissar Wei recommend to Manna?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Robert Frost.
(c) Sylvia Plath.
(d) Allen Ginsberg.
3. What unnerves Manna about Geng Yang when she sees him at the bus stop?
(a) His flirtatious attitude.
(b) His clothing.
(c) His grin.
(d) His quietness.
4. Commissar Wei stops in Muji City on his way to which border?
5. As Lin's attempts to divorce Shuyu continue to fail, how does Manna come to treat the other nurses?
(b) With hostility.
(c) Extra helpful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Lin give Shuyu for wanting a divorce?
2. After a chief in the City Administration dies, what does Manna begin to do?
3. Why does Manna find Geng Yang "interesting?"
4. When Liang Meng and Manna meet alone in the city, whose poetry does he quote?
5. What controversial items does Manna see in Lin's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lin share Manna's feelings about Geng Yang?
2. Why won't Manna report her rape?
3. Why is Manna more embarrassed than heartbroken at Commissar Wei's rejection?
4. What is the relationship Manna Wu invents between Lin Kong and Pinging Ma? Why does Manna think Pingping is more appealing to Lin than she is?
5. Why is Manna's meeting with Commissar Wei very pleasant?
6. What draws and repels Manna and Liang Meng to and from each other?
7. Why has Lin doubted himself of being a "normal" man? How does he gauge "normal?"
8. Although a relationship between Manna and Liang Meng is Lin's idea, what is his attitude? Why?
9. What about Lin's response to Manna's prospective engagement make him rethink his attachment?
10. What does Lin's daydream about the nurses say about him?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)