|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Geng Yang's real reason for inviting Manna to his room?
(a) To profess his love to her.
(b) To give her a gift.
(c) To kill her.
(d) To sleep with her.
2. What rumor is going around the hospital about Lin's wife?
(a) She can't have children.
(b) She is having an affair with another doctor.
(c) She is eight years his senior.
(d) She wants to divorce him.
3. What is the identifying feature of the woman who Lin sleeps with in his dream?
(a) Her voice.
(b) Her long fingers.
(c) Her thin face.
(d) A birthmark on her arm.
4. What happens to Lin's weight when he falls ill with tuberculosis?
(b) He loses 20 pounds.
(c) He gains 20 pounds.
(d) It fluctuates unpredictably.
5. After a chief in the City Administration dies, what does Manna begin to do?
(a) Pressure Lin to divorce his wife.
(b) Pursue a man who will marry her.
(c) Take care of the chief's wife.
(d) Take better care of her health.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lin believe is the key player in making his divorce successful?
2. Where does Lin Kong's wife, Shuyu, live?
3. Early in her fixation, what deters Manna's pursuance of Lin?
4. After being deployed, what does Mai Dong write to Manna to tell her?
5. When Lin and Manna break up, what does Lin do to occupy his time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lin discourage Manna from joining any of the revolutionary parties in the hospital?
2. How is Manna extremely selfish in the beginning of Chapter 7?
3. What does Lin's daydream about the nurses say about him?
4. Since Manna and Lin broke up, what has Manna been doing to spite Lin? How does this reach its climax in Chapter 10?
5. Why is Lin concerned that Bensheng invites Ren to his house?
6. Although a relationship between Manna and Liang Meng is Lin's idea, what is his attitude? Why?
7. What about Lin's response to Manna's prospective engagement make him rethink his attachment?
8. How does Lin change the direction of his and Manna's relationship as his divorce seems less and less likely?
9. Why is Lin's response to "Leaves of Grass" peculiar to his usual tendencies towards literature?
10. Why won't Manna report her rape?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)