|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After a chief in the City Administration dies, what does Manna begin to do?
(a) Take better care of her health.
(b) Pursue a man who will marry her.
(c) Pressure Lin to divorce his wife.
(d) Take care of the chief's wife.
2. What is Lin's observation of how Geng Yang speaks?
3. While recapping her meeting with the commissar, Manna tells Lin Commissar Wei is more like a what than a warrior?
4. What is Geng Yang's real reason for inviting Manna to his room?
(a) To sleep with her.
(b) To profess his love to her.
(c) To kill her.
(d) To give her a gift.
5. How long have Lin and Shuyu been separated for at the beginning of "Waiting"?
(a) Eighteen years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Four months.
(d) Seven years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manna compare herself to at the prospect of her engagement to Commissar Wei?
2. What does Commissar Wei call to tell Ran Su the day after his meeting with Manna?
3. What rare food does Bensheng bring to Lin's house?
4. What American poet does Commissar Wei recommend to Manna?
5. What is Ran Su's only condition on allowing Manna and Lin to take Geng Yang out to dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Manna's meeting with Commissar Wei very pleasant?
2. What does Lin's daydream about the nurses say about him?
3. Why does Shuyu's brother object to Lin's wish for a divorce?
4. How does Lin share Manna's feelings about Geng Yang?
5. Why does Lin discourage Manna from joining any of the revolutionary parties in the hospital?
6. Why does Lin think an attempt to pay Shuyu or Bensheng for a divorce would fail?
7. What is the crowd at the courthouse defending when they are scolding Lin?
8. Why is Lin ashamed that he asks Manna to share the cost of the bribe?
9. Since Manna and Lin broke up, what has Manna been doing to spite Lin? How does this reach its climax in Chapter 10?
10. Why won't Manna report her rape?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)