|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the difference between Lin's side of the room and his roommates' side?
(a) His roommates have photos of celebrities on their walls.
(b) His roommates are very messy.
(c) His roommates have no books.
(d) His roommates have news clippings on their walls.
2. Why does Lin's brother need to borrow money?
(a) To bet on a game.
(b) To surprise his wife with a gift.
(c) To send his children to private school.
(d) To pay off his debts.
3. Which revolutionary party is Manna interested in joining?
(a) The Red Party.
(b) The Maoist Union.
(c) The Red Union.
(d) The Revolution Workers.
4. Why does Manna want to learn to ride a bicycle?
(a) To travel more easily across the hospital yard.
(b) To get in shape.
(c) In case she moves to Harbin.
(d) To brag to the other nurses about her new skill.
5. At the restaurant, what is Geng Yang's advice for Lin to encourage his wife to consent to a divorce?
(a) He threatens Shuyu.
(b) He pays Shuyu.
(c) He refuses to sleep with her.
(d) He bribes the judge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manna compare herself to at the prospect of her engagement to Commissar Wei?
2. After being deployed, what does Mai Dong write to Manna to tell her?
3. What is the purpose of the newspaper article about Lin and Shuyu's divorce hearing?
4. Where does Lin Kong's wife, Shuyu, live?
5. Why is Manna hesitant to pursue sleeping with Lin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lin's daydream about the nurses say about him?
2. Why is Manna more embarrassed than heartbroken at Commissar Wei's rejection?
3. How does Lin change the direction of his and Manna's relationship as his divorce seems less and less likely?
4. Why does Lin think an attempt to pay Shuyu or Bensheng for a divorce would fail?
5. Why won't Manna report her rape?
6. Why is Lin concerned that Bensheng invites Ren to his house?
7. How is Manna extremely selfish in the beginning of Chapter 7?
8. What is the crowd at the courthouse defending when they are scolding Lin?
9. What draws and repels Manna and Liang Meng to and from each other?
10. Why is Manna hesitant to become engaged to Mai Dong before her graduation? What is their deciding factor in holding off their engagement?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)