|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lin is questioned by the voice in his head about his refusal to sleep with Manna, he says that their relationship is not based on what?
(a) What others want.
(c) The rules of society.
(d) The flesh.
2. Lin's roles as an officer and doctor make him what kind of a man?
3. After being deployed, what does Mai Dong write to Manna to tell her?
(a) He has a girlfriend.
(b) He wants to marry her when he returns.
(c) He is marrying his cousin.
(d) He is marrying his niece.
4. When Lin and Manna break up, what does Lin do to occupy his time?
(a) Recatologue medical records.
(b) Write letters to his wife.
(c) Pursue other women.
5. What is Ran Su's only condition on allowing Manna and Lin to take Geng Yang out to dinner?
(a) Lin must pay for the meal.
(b) Ran Su can attend as well.
(c) The three must stay together.
(d) They must go out during the day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday is the staff banquet celebrating at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. What is Commissar Wei's reason for wanting to discontinue his relationship with Manna?
3. Why does Haiyan think Lin refuses to take the opportunity to use her sister's house?
4. Commissar Wei stops in Muji City on his way to which border?
5. What controversial items does Manna see in Lin's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shuyu's brother object to Lin's wish for a divorce?
2. Why does Lin discourage Manna from joining any of the revolutionary parties in the hospital?
3. Why does Manna help Lin put dust covers on his books?
4. Why won't Manna report her rape?
5. Why is Manna hesitant to become engaged to Mai Dong before her graduation? What is their deciding factor in holding off their engagement?
6. Why is Lin's response to "Leaves of Grass" peculiar to his usual tendencies towards literature?
7. What is the relationship Manna Wu invents between Lin Kong and Pinging Ma? Why does Manna think Pingping is more appealing to Lin than she is?
8. How does Lin change the direction of his and Manna's relationship as his divorce seems less and less likely?
9. When Lin shows Manna the photo of his wife and daughter, what upset does it bring to their relationship? What solace does it bring to Manna?
10. How does Lin share Manna's feelings about Geng Yang?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)