|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the restaurant, what is Geng Yang's advice for Lin to encourage his wife to consent to a divorce?
(a) He refuses to sleep with her.
(b) He bribes the judge.
(c) He pays Shuyu.
(d) He threatens Shuyu.
2. Why does Shuyu ask to spend the night with Lin one night when he is home?
(a) She is afraid of the dark.
(b) She doesn't want to share her room with their houseguests.
(c) She misses him when he is away.
(d) She wants to give him a son.
3. What does Commissar Wei ask the hospital to recommend for him?
(a) A good medicine for back pain.
(b) An apartment to rent in Muji City.
(c) A good movie.
(d) A nurse or doctor to marry.
4. What holiday is the staff banquet celebrating at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(b) New Year.
(c) National Day.
(d) Mao's birthday.
5. Early in her fixation, what deters Manna's pursuance of Lin?
(a) Other's discouragement.
(b) Manna's obedience to the rules.
(c) Manna's respect for the sanctity of marriage.
(d) His wife giving birth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Geng Yang think Lin should carry out his relationship with Manna?
2. For how long is Lin permitted to return home once a year?
3. What happens to Lin's weight when he falls ill with tuberculosis?
4. What is Lin's concern about Manna becoming engaged to another man?
5. What are Lin's conditions on Manna's prospective new fiancé?
Short Essay Questions
1. What draws and repels Manna and Liang Meng to and from each other?
2. How is Lin painted to be at fault through Chapter 9?
3. Why does Manna help Lin put dust covers on his books?
4. Is Bensheng greedy? Why or why not?
5. Does Lin regret divorcing Shuyu?
6. How does Manna begin to advance on Lin?
7. After the secret of Manna's rape gets out, how does the way the hospital staff treats Manna and Lin change?
8. Is Shuyu simple-minded?
9. Why does Lin think an attempt to pay Shuyu or Bensheng for a divorce would fail?
10. How is Manna extremely selfish in the beginning of Chapter 7?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)