|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lin returns to the hospital after failing to ask his wife for a divorce he tells Manna he is too what to spend time with her?
2. After being deployed, what does Mai Dong write to Manna to tell her?
(a) He has a girlfriend.
(b) He is marrying his niece.
(c) He is marrying his cousin.
(d) He wants to marry her when he returns.
3. What does Lin's cousin ask for in his letter?
(b) To find him a wife.
(c) A recommendation for a job.
(d) A place to stay.
4. What is Lin's observation of how Geng Yang speaks?
5. Why does Shuyu ask to spend the night with Lin one night when he is home?
(a) She is afraid of the dark.
(b) She doesn't want to share her room with their houseguests.
(c) She misses him when he is away.
(d) She wants to give him a son.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Manna wins a prize for table tennis, what does she tell Lin is her wish?
2. At the restaurant, what is Geng Yang's advice for Lin to encourage his wife to consent to a divorce?
3. What does Commissar Wei call to tell Ran Su the day after his meeting with Manna?
4. Who does Manna hit while riding her bike home one night?
5. At the holiday banquet, what does Lin warn Manna not to do so much?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Manna more embarrassed than heartbroken at Commissar Wei's rejection?
2. After Lin begins to try in earnest to divorce Shuyu, what are the new dilemmas that arise?
3. How is Lin painted to be at fault through Chapter 9?
4. Why won't Manna report her rape?
5. How is Manna extremely selfish in the beginning of Chapter 7?
6. How does Lin change the direction of his and Manna's relationship as his divorce seems less and less likely?
7. Why is Manna's meeting with Commissar Wei very pleasant?
8. What about Lin's response to Manna's prospective engagement make him rethink his attachment?
9. Why does Shuyu's brother object to Lin's wish for a divorce?
10. Why does Lin think an attempt to pay Shuyu or Bensheng for a divorce would fail?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)