|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Manna feel sad in the weeks following her wedding?
(a) She regrets not marrying another man.
(b) She wishes they had married years earlier.
(c) She doesn't see her friends as much.
(d) She wishes her parents could have been there.
2. What do the women at the hair salon say about Lin for wanting to divorce Shuyu?
(a) He is selfish.
(b) He is heartless.
(c) He is smart.
(d) He is impulsive.
3. Why does Lin caution Manna about revealing anymore to Haiyan?
(a) She is forgetful.
(b) She is idiotic.
(c) She is a secret agent.
(d) She is unreliable.
4. What makes Lin realize he is getting old?
(a) He is having strange dreams.
(b) He celebrates his 60th birthday.
(c) His eyes are failing.
(d) He is not very virile.
5. What are Manna and Lin's twins diagnosed with?
6. Why does Lin go to visit Hua and Shuyu at the match plant?
(a) To say goodbye.
(b) To introduce Shuyu to the twins.
(c) To get free matches.
(d) To bring them food.
7. Bensheng wishes Hua would find a different boyfriend because soldiers are not ______ anymore.
8. How much alimony does the judge tell Lin to pay Shuyu?
(a) 2,000 yen a year.
(b) 90 yen a month.
(d) 30 yen a month.
9. Why is Manna upset that Lin is teaching the orderlies?
(a) Because they are young girls.
(b) Because he is lying to her.
(c) Because she wants to teach the class.
(d) Because he is a bad teacher.
10. What does Manna scream at Lin while she is in labor?
(b) "I love you."
(d) "I'm dying."
11. What comment does one of the nurses make about Manna and Lin's poor singing at the wedding?
(a) They are very quiet.
(b) It is like angels singing.
(c) They sound like children.
(d) It gives her a toothache.
12. Why doesn't Lin know how to medically treat a rape victim?
(a) It was never taught in school.
(b) He believes there is nothing to treat.
(c) It is not his area of practice.
(d) It is criminal.
13. What do Manna's symptoms of her bad heart resemble?
14. What does Lin compare the box at the bottom of Manna's closet to?
(b) Jewelry box.
(c) Religious artifact.
(d) Cinerary casket.
15. Where does Hua find a job in Muji City?
(a) The match plant.
(b) The hospital.
(c) The hair salon.
(d) A department store.
Short Answer Questions
1. Only a woman over the age of _______ would be expected to have bound feet.
2. After the secret of her rape gets out, how does Mrs. Su greet Manna every time she sees her?
3. When Manna is informed how serious her heart condition is, who is she concerned for?
4. When Lin sees Manna at the mess hall for the first time in days, he sees a flicker of _______ in her face.
5. What is Manna's excuse to the other nurses for looking so sickly the day after the rape?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)