|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of the class that Lin teaches orderly nurses?
2. What does Manna scream at Lin while she is in labor?
(c) "I love you."
(d) "I'm dying."
3. When does Manna realize Lin might be bored with her?
(a) He does not care that they sleep in separate beds.
(b) She overhears a rumor.
(c) He flirts with other women.
(d) He does not speak to her anymore.
4. What does Lin tell Shuyu to do when he is drunk in her apartment?
(a) To put a log on the fire.
(b) To go back to Goose Village.
(c) To leave him alone,
(d) To wait for him.
5. What does Manna say to Lin when he comes back into the delivery room to see his sons?
(a) I'm sorry.
(b) They're sick.
(c) They're not yours.
(d) Get out.
6. What does Lin fantasize about as Manna grows more ill?
(b) Running away.
(c) What could have been.
7. How does Manna react to seeing Geng Yang on TV?
(a) She breaks the TV.
(b) She is hysterical.
(c) She is happy for Geng Yang.
(d) She is unaffected.
8. How does Lin feel about his inevitable divorce as the court date arrives?
(a) He wants to stay with Shuyu.
(b) That he wishes it had happened years earlier.
(c) That fate is starting him on a new life.
(d) He is ambivalent.
9. What made the pus drain after Shuyu's feet were bound?
(a) Massaging her feet.
(b) Soaking them in warm water.
(c) Herbal medicines.
(d) Eating fish.
10. After the secret of her rape gets out, how does Mrs. Su greet Manna every time she sees her?
(a) She hugs her.
(b) She curses her.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She laughs at her.
11. What is Manna's reaction to knowing she will die soon?
12. Why does Lin go into the city so frequently after Manna gets pregnant?
(a) He misses his daughter.
(b) Manna is always craving.
(c) She is sick and needs medicine.
(d) He cannot stand being around Manna.
13. Why does Shuyu want her hair cut short?
(a) She needs a dramatic change.
(b) So it needs to be cut less often.
(c) She wants to look more mature.
(d) Lin will like the haircut.
14. Who is the obstetrician who delivers Manna's twins?
(a) Ran Su.
(d) Mrs. Su.
15. What comment does one of the nurses make about Manna and Lin's poor singing at the wedding?
(a) It is like angels singing.
(b) They are very quiet.
(c) They sound like children.
(d) It gives her a toothache.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday do Manna and Lin prepare for at the end of "Waiting?"
2. What do the women at the hair salon say about Lin for wanting to divorce Shuyu?
3. What does Manna tell Lin her blood pressure is?
4. What is causing Lin the pain in his back and foot?
5. When Lin notices how sick Manna looks, what does he compare her to?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)