|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Lin about Manna's pregnancy?
(a) She must have conceived before their marriage.
(b) She is 44.
(c) They always used protection.
(d) He thought she was injured by Geng Yang.
2. Why doesn't Lin know how to medically treat a rape victim?
(a) It is not his area of practice.
(b) He believes there is nothing to treat.
(c) It is criminal.
(d) It was never taught in school.
3. What do Manna's legs feel like as she walks away from spying on Lin's class?
4. What is Manna's reaction to knowing she will die soon?
5. How many days of maternity leave is Manna given?
6. How much does Lin sell his house for?
(a) 5,000 yen.
(b) 2,000 yen.
(c) 3,200 yen.
(d) 4,000 yen.
7. What does Manna scream at Lin while she is in labor?
(b) "I love you."
(c) "I'm dying."
8. Why do the orderlies ask Lin to teach the class?
(a) They do not like Manna and want her to be jealous.
(b) They have exams.
(c) They think Lin is handsome.
(d) Lin offered to teach it.
9. What is Bensheng NOT upset about when he comes to Lin's house drunk in the middle of the night?
(a) Lin divorcing Shuyu.
(b) Lin taking Hua with him.
(c) Lin leaving him with nothing.
(d) Lin taking Shuyu to the city.
10. What holiday do Manna and Lin prepare for at the end of "Waiting?"
(a) Chinese New Year.
(c) Spring Festival.
(d) Mao's Birthday.
11. How much alimony does the judge tell Lin to pay Shuyu?
(a) 2,000 yen a year.
(b) 90 yen a month.
(c) 30 yen a month.
12. What has Manna secretly been taking to help her feel better?
(b) Herbal boluses.
(d) Pain killers.
13. Why does Manna tell Ran Su she wants Lin to stay home more?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) Lin is a good cook.
(c) Lin is in poor health.
(d) She is dying.
14. Why does Lin go to visit Hua and Shuyu at the match plant?
(a) To bring them food.
(b) To introduce Shuyu to the twins.
(c) To get free matches.
(d) To say goodbye.
15. What book does Lin give to Ran Su?
(a) "Romeo and Juliet."
(b) "Anna Karenina."
(c) "Around The World In Eighty Days."
(d) "Love In The Time Of Cholera."
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Manna realize Lin might be bored with her?
2. How many children are families usually permitted to have?
3. How do the nurses at the hospital treat Manna and Lin after they have been together for a long time?
4. Bensheng wishes Hua would find a different boyfriend because soldiers are not ______ anymore.
5. What does Lin compare the box at the bottom of Manna's closet to?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)