|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Lin know how to medically treat a rape victim?
(a) He believes there is nothing to treat.
(b) It is criminal.
(c) It was never taught in school.
(d) It is not his area of practice.
2. What also happens as the twins' dysentery is cured?
(a) They start to talk.
(b) They sleep better.
(c) They eat more.
(d) They fight and cry more.
3. Why is Lin nervous about the health of his baby when Manna goes into labor?
(a) Manna has a weak heart.
(b) They are premature.
(c) The hospital is unsanitary.
(d) The obstetrician is a novice.
4. What is the rule about foot-binding that Shuyu explains to one of the nurses?
(a) You must be younger than ten to begin the binding.
(b) You cannot take pain medication.
(c) You cannot paint your toenails.
(d) Only the husband can see them.
5. How many days of maternity leave is Manna given?
6. Why is Manna upset that Lin is teaching the orderlies?
(a) Because they are young girls.
(b) Because he is a bad teacher.
(c) Because he is lying to her.
(d) Because she wants to teach the class.
7. What is Shuyu's only request of Lin at the divorce hearing?
(a) Lin pay her 2,000 yen a year.
(b) Hua be placed with a job.
(c) She can keep the family cat.
(d) Lin finds Hua a husband.
8. What surprises Lin about Manna's pregnancy?
(a) She must have conceived before their marriage.
(b) He thought she was injured by Geng Yang.
(c) They always used protection.
(d) She is 44.
9. When Lin sees Manna at the mess hall for the first time in days, he sees a flicker of _______ in her face.
10. When Manna speaks to someone outside their apartment, what does Lin notice her voice is still full of?
11. Why does Lin caution Manna about revealing anymore to Haiyan?
(a) She is idiotic.
(b) She is a secret agent.
(c) She is forgetful.
(d) She is unreliable.
12. How does Manna react to seeing Geng Yang on TV?
(a) She is unaffected.
(b) She breaks the TV.
(c) She is hysterical.
(d) She is happy for Geng Yang.
13. What has Lin done to help Manna through her illness?
(a) Earning more money.
(b) Buying her presents.
(c) Spending more time with her.
14. When Manna is informed how serious her heart condition is, who is she concerned for?
(b) Her sons.
(c) Her friends.
15. What does Manna scream at Lin while she is in labor?
(a) "I'm dying."
(b) "I love you."
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Manna realize Lin might be bored with her?
2. Why do the orderlies ask Lin to teach the class?
3. What does Manna NOT question after her dream about Geng Yang?
4. What phrase does Lin paint on the banner when a general visits the hospital?
5. Haiyan says she would never marry a doctor because she believes they are only well trained what?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)