|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Bensheng most jealous of at the end of "Waiting?"
(a) Hua is earning money.
(b) Shuyu's happiness.
(c) Lin has three children.
(d) Manna's beauty.
2. What is the rule about foot-binding that Shuyu explains to one of the nurses?
(a) You cannot paint your toenails.
(b) You must be younger than ten to begin the binding.
(c) You cannot take pain medication.
(d) Only the husband can see them.
3. When Lin notices how sick Manna looks, what does he compare her to?
(a) An old woman.
(b) A monster.
(c) A leper.
(d) A pregnant woman.
4. Why does Lin go to visit Hua and Shuyu at the match plant?
(a) To introduce Shuyu to the twins.
(b) To bring them food.
(c) To get free matches.
(d) To say goodbye.
5. What does Lin compare the box at the bottom of Manna's closet to?
(a) Jewelry box.
(b) Cinerary casket.
(d) Religious artifact.
6. What is the prognosis for Shuyu's back condition?
(a) Physical therapy.
(c) Herbal tea.
(d) Strong painkillers.
7. What does Director Chen think is an inappropriate wedding activity?
(b) Eating the bobbing apple.
8. What Makes Manna think Ran Su knows about her rape?
(a) He whispers whenever she walks into the room.
(b) He keeps asking her how she is doing.
(c) He is avoiding her.
(d) His forced smile.
9. Why does Manna feel sad in the weeks following her wedding?
(a) She regrets not marrying another man.
(b) She wishes her parents could have been there.
(c) She doesn't see her friends as much.
(d) She wishes they had married years earlier.
10. What does Manna show Lin from her locked box?
(a) Her collection of seashells.
(b) Her collection of chairman Mao pins.
(c) Her old journals.
(d) Photos of her parents.
11. What holiday do Manna and Lin prepare for at the end of "Waiting?"
(a) Chinese New Year.
(c) Spring Festival.
(d) Mao's Birthday.
12. What surprises Lin about Manna's pregnancy?
(a) She is 44.
(b) She must have conceived before their marriage.
(c) He thought she was injured by Geng Yang.
(d) They always used protection.
13. What does Geng Yang do in Manna's dream?
(a) Kidnaps the twins.
(c) Rapes her.
(d) Kills Lin.
14. Why does Manna have to leave the wedding?
(a) She spills something on her dress.
(b) She starts to cry.
(c) A nurse acts mean to her.
(d) She feels sick.
15. What is the subject of the class that Lin teaches orderly nurses?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bensheng NOT upset about when he comes to Lin's house drunk in the middle of the night?
2. Why doesn't Lin know how to medically treat a rape victim?
3. As Manna's pregnancy progresses, she becomes more and more ______.
4. Why does Lin caution Manna about revealing anymore to Haiyan?
5. Why is Manna upset that Lin is teaching the orderlies?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)