|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Manna squat over a bucket for so long?
(a) Her back is sore.
(b) She is constipated.
(c) To prevent pregnancy.
(d) She is cold.
2. On his first day in Muji City, what is Liang Meng's reason for needing to return home so soon?
(a) His daughter is ill.
(b) He has run out of money.
(c) He doesn't like the weather.
(d) Lin told him to leave.
3. What is Lin's concern about Manna becoming engaged to another man?
(a) She will continue to carry on her affair with Lin.
(b) He isn't ready to lose her.
(c) She will be cheated on.
(d) She might be taken advantage of.
4. What does Manna do for Lin that most fiancées do for their men?
(a) Take care of him when he's sick.
(b) His laundry.
(c) Clean his room.
(d) Sleep with him.
5. What are Lin's conditions on Manna's prospective new fiancé?
(a) He doesn't ever divorce her.
(b) He takes her far away.
(c) She is promoted and goes to college.
(d) He still allows them to see each other.
6. What is the prognosis for Lin's tuberculosis?
(a) He will recover soon.
(b) He is at risk of getting worse.
(c) He has showed no improvement.
(d) He will die soon.
7. What is Lin's observation of how Geng Yang speaks?
8. Why must Lin accompany Manna and Liang Meng's meeting at the hospital?
(a) To protect Manna.
(b) To sabotage their relationship.
(c) To chaperone.
(d) To encourage conversation.
9. What does the judge require Lin bring to him before the divorce hearing can continue?
(a) A glass of water.
(b) A letter or recommendation.
(c) Information about Manna.
(d) Proof that Shuyu is having an affair.
10. When Lin returns to the hospital after failing to ask his wife for a divorce he tells Manna he is too what to spend time with her?
11. What unnerves Manna about Geng Yang when she sees him at the bus stop?
(a) His quietness.
(b) His grin.
(c) His flirtatious attitude.
(d) His clothing.
12. What do the villagers in Goose Village think of Shuyu?
(a) She is rude.
(b) She is a bad mother.
(c) She is perfect.
(d) She is unfaithful.
13. Where did Manna Wu's parents die?
(b) Muji City.
(c) In their home.
14. If Manna's parents had lived, she thinks they could have been ________.
(a) Adventurous travelers.
(b) High-ranking officials.
(c) Inadequate parents.
(d) Famous writers.
15. Early in her fixation, what deters Manna's pursuance of Lin?
(a) Other's discouragement.
(b) Manna's respect for the sanctity of marriage.
(c) His wife giving birth.
(d) Manna's obedience to the rules.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Manna hesitant to pursue sleeping with Lin?
2. Why does Shuyu ask to spend the night with Lin one night when he is home?
3. While Lin ghostwrites Manna's report on "Leaves of Grass," what aspect of the poems does he focus on?
4. Commissar Wei stops in Muji City on his way to which border?
5. At the restaurant, what is Geng Yang's advice for Lin to encourage his wife to consent to a divorce?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)