|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the restaurant, what is Geng Yang's advice for Lin to encourage his wife to consent to a divorce?
(a) He threatens Shuyu.
(b) He pays Shuyu.
(c) He bribes the judge.
(d) He refuses to sleep with her.
2. What does Commissar Wei call to tell Ran Su the day after his meeting with Manna?
(a) He enjoys her and wants to keep in contact.
(b) She is ugly and he doesn't want to see her again.
(c) She is incompetent and should be fired.
(d) She smells bad and should shower more.
3. When Lin returns to the hospital after failing to ask his wife for a divorce he tells Manna he is too what to spend time with her?
4. What is Lin's observation of how Geng Yang speaks?
5. Who is Lin's new roommate when he gets tuberculosis?
(a) Ran Su.
(b) Geng Yang.
(c) Mai Dong.
(d) Liang Meng.
6. At the holiday banquet, what does Lin warn Manna not to do so much?
7. Who does Lin believe is the key player in making his divorce successful?
(d) Ran Su.
8. Who does Manna hit while riding her bike home one night?
(c) Ran Su's wife.
(d) Ran Su.
9. What is Commissar Wei's reason for wanting to discontinue his relationship with Manna?
(a) She is too old.
(b) He knows about her and Lin.
(c) She has poor handwriting.
(d) She smells bad.
10. What is the identifying feature of the woman who Lin sleeps with in his dream?
(a) Her long fingers.
(b) Her voice.
(c) A birthmark on her arm.
(d) Her thin face.
11. Commissar Wei stops in Muji City on his way to which border?
12. What does Manna see Pingping Ma and Lin Kong doing that convinces her that they are a couple?
(a) Exchanging notes.
(b) Holding hands.
(d) Talking and laughing.
13. What do Manna and Liang Meng talk about when they first meet at the hospital?
(b) The weather.
14. Although Manna is lying, what is Commissar Wei's response to her claim of reading Russian novels?
(a) He criticizes her taste.
(b) He changes the subject.
(c) He is silent.
(d) He praises her taste.
15. What does Manna compare herself to at the prospect of her engagement to Commissar Wei?
(a) A princess.
(b) A flower in bloom.
(c) A prostitute.
(d) A thief.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lin is questioned by the voice in his head about his refusal to sleep with Manna, he says that their relationship is not based on what?
2. Why does Haiyan think Lin refuses to take the opportunity to use her sister's house?
3. What does Lin observe about Ran Su's feet?
4. What rumor is going around the hospital about Lin's wife?
5. Why does Shuyu ask to spend the night with Lin one night when he is home?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)