|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Commissar Wei stops in Muji City on his way to which border?
2. During Lin's second attempt to divorce his wife, what does Manna buy in anticipation that she will be married soon?
(b) New bedding.
(c) A baby crib.
(d) A wedding dress.
3. Why is Manna hesitant to pursue sleeping with Lin?
(a) Because she doesn't want to get pregnant.
(b) Because she is a virgin.
(c) Because she doesn't want to manipulate Lin.
(d) Because she may be expelled from the army.
4. Who does Lin believe is the key player in making his divorce successful?
(a) Ran Su.
5. What is Lin's observation of how Geng Yang speaks?
6. Why do Lin's comrades object to his long, parted in the middle hairstyle?
(a) Because he looks too intellectual.
(b) Because he looks disheveled.
(c) Because he looks too vain.
(d) Because he looks too feminine.
7. Who is Lin's new roommate when he gets tuberculosis?
(a) Ran Su.
(b) Mai Dong.
(c) Geng Yang.
(d) Liang Meng.
8. What is Manna considered dangerously close to because of her age?
(a) Becoming an old maid.
(b) Becoming seriously ill.
(c) Getting fired from her job.
(d) Being sent to a less demanding hospital.
9. What is Ran Su's only condition on allowing Manna and Lin to take Geng Yang out to dinner?
(a) Lin must pay for the meal.
(b) They must go out during the day.
(c) The three must stay together.
(d) Ran Su can attend as well.
10. Why must Lin accompany Manna and Liang Meng's meeting at the hospital?
(a) To protect Manna.
(b) To sabotage their relationship.
(c) To encourage conversation.
(d) To chaperone.
11. After Manna wins a prize for table tennis, what does she tell Lin is her wish?
(a) To quit the army.
(b) To see a picture of Shuyu.
(c) For Lin to propose to her.
(d) For Lin to kiss her.
12. What does the judge require Lin bring to him before the divorce hearing can continue?
(a) A glass of water.
(b) A letter or recommendation.
(c) Information about Manna.
(d) Proof that Shuyu is having an affair.
13. After Lin's father dies, how do his feelings about his wife and marriage change?
(a) He no longer needs to be married to Shuyu.
(b) He realizes life is short and he wants to stay with his wife.
(c) He should remain married out of respect for his parents.
(d) He realizes life is short and he should live how he wants.
14. What is the difference between Lin's side of the room and his roommates' side?
(a) His roommates have news clippings on their walls.
(b) His roommates have photos of celebrities on their walls.
(c) His roommates are very messy.
(d) His roommates have no books.
15. When Lin returns to the hospital after failing to ask his wife for a divorce he tells Manna he is too what to spend time with her?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Manna hit while riding her bike home one night?
2. What does Lin's cousin ask for in his letter?
3. While Lin ghostwrites Manna's report on "Leaves of Grass," what aspect of the poems does he focus on?
4. Why does the group congregate outside the courthouse after Lin and Shuyu's divorce hearing?
5. What does Ren ask Lin to bring home from the hospital to help his son's stomach?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)