|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lin compare himself to although he is married?
(a) A bachelor.
(b) A ladies' man.
(c) A widower.
(d) An adulterer.
2. What is Geng Yang's real reason for inviting Manna to his room?
(a) To sleep with her.
(b) To give her a gift.
(c) To profess his love to her.
(d) To kill her.
3. What does the judge require Lin bring to him before the divorce hearing can continue?
(a) Information about Manna.
(b) A glass of water.
(c) A letter or recommendation.
(d) Proof that Shuyu is having an affair.
4. When the hospital goes to see the film, how does Manna act regarding feelings for Lin?
(a) She tells him outright.
(b) She is very indiscreet.
(c) Lin feels curious of her feelings.
(d) She keeps them a secret.
5. Why can't anyone play cards as the people in Lin's dream do?
(a) They are all too busy with work.
(b) The hospital confiscates cards because they are a distraction.
(c) Because no one ever learned how to play.
(d) Cards are banned.
6. While recapping her meeting with the commissar, Manna tells Lin Commissar Wei is more like a what than a warrior?
7. Why does Manna squat over a bucket for so long?
(a) She is cold.
(b) Her back is sore.
(c) To prevent pregnancy.
(d) She is constipated.
8. Why must Lin accompany Manna and Liang Meng's meeting at the hospital?
(a) To chaperone.
(b) To protect Manna.
(c) To sabotage their relationship.
(d) To encourage conversation.
9. What do Manna and Liang Meng talk about when they first meet at the hospital?
(b) The weather.
10. What American poet does Commissar Wei recommend to Manna?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Allen Ginsberg.
(c) Robert Frost.
(d) Sylvia Plath.
11. What holiday is the staff banquet celebrating at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) National Day.
(c) Mao's birthday.
(d) New Year.
12. If Manna's parents had lived, she thinks they could have been ________.
(a) Famous writers.
(b) Inadequate parents.
(c) Adventurous travelers.
(d) High-ranking officials.
13. What does Manna see Pingping Ma and Lin Kong doing that convinces her that they are a couple?
(a) Talking and laughing.
(c) Exchanging notes.
(d) Holding hands.
14. Why does the group congregate outside the courthouse after Lin and Shuyu's divorce hearing?
(a) To ask for divorces themselves.
(b) To heckle Lin.
(c) To support Lin.
(d) To pay their taxes.
15. Why is Manna hesitant to pursue sleeping with Lin?
(a) Because she may be expelled from the army.
(b) Because she is a virgin.
(c) Because she doesn't want to manipulate Lin.
(d) Because she doesn't want to get pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lin's favorite part of visiting home?
2. At the holiday banquet, what does Lin warn Manna not to do so much?
3. What is the difference between Lin's side of the room and his roommates' side?
4. When Lin is questioned by the voice in his head about his refusal to sleep with Manna, he says that their relationship is not based on what?
5. When Lin returns to the hospital after failing to ask his wife for a divorce he tells Manna he is too what to spend time with her?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)