|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lin returns to the hospital after failing to ask his wife for a divorce he tells Manna he is too what to spend time with her?
2. When the hospital goes to see the film, how does Manna act regarding feelings for Lin?
(a) She is very indiscreet.
(b) Lin feels curious of her feelings.
(c) She tells him outright.
(d) She keeps them a secret.
3. Since Lin thinks that his divorce is unlikely, what does he propose Manna should do?
(a) Wait for him.
(b) Transfer to another hospital.
(c) Find another boyfriend.
(d) Kill his wife.
4. While recapping her meeting with the commissar, Manna tells Lin Commissar Wei is more like a what than a warrior?
5. If Manna's parents had lived, she thinks they could have been ________.
(a) High-ranking officials.
(b) Adventurous travelers.
(c) Famous writers.
(d) Inadequate parents.
6. How does Geng Yang think Lin should carry out his relationship with Manna?
(a) End the relationship soon.
(b) Keep her as his mistress.
(c) Pretend like he's married to her.
(d) Keep her until he grows tired of her.
7. Aside from Latin, what languages must nurses learn to be promoted to assistant doctor?
(a) Russian and German.
(b) Tibetan and Japanese.
(c) Japanese and Korean.
(d) English and Japanese.
8. Although Manna is lying, what is Commissar Wei's response to her claim of reading Russian novels?
(a) He praises her taste.
(b) He changes the subject.
(c) He criticizes her taste.
(d) He is silent.
9. At the holiday banquet, what does Lin warn Manna not to do so much?
10. While Lin ghostwrites Manna's report on "Leaves of Grass," what aspect of the poems does he focus on?
11. Why does Lin's brother need to borrow money?
(a) To surprise his wife with a gift.
(b) To bet on a game.
(c) To pay off his debts.
(d) To send his children to private school.
12. At the end of Part 2: Chapter 8, what does Lin regret talking to Manna about?
(a) Finding her a transfer.
(b) Paying Bensheng.
(c) Arranging another boyfriend for her.
(d) Postponing the divorce.
13. Why does Manna squat over a bucket for so long?
(a) She is cold.
(b) She is constipated.
(c) Her back is sore.
(d) To prevent pregnancy.
14. What is the reason Manna gives Lin for wanting to sleep with him?
(a) To get attention from other nurses.
(b) To get him expelled from the army.
(c) To give him a son.
(d) To secure their relationship.
15. What do Manna and Liang Meng talk about when they first meet at the hospital?
(c) The weather.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Manna hesitant to pursue sleeping with Lin?
2. What do the villagers in Goose Village think of Shuyu?
3. Early in her fixation, what deters Manna's pursuance of Lin?
4. Who is Lin's new roommate when he gets tuberculosis?
5. Why does Geng Yang ask Manna to come to his room?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)