|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the villagers in Goose Village think of Shuyu?
(a) She is unfaithful.
(b) She is a bad mother.
(c) She is perfect.
(d) She is rude.
2. What is Lin's favorite part of visiting home?
(a) Seeing his daughter.
(b) Seeing his wife.
(c) Escaping the city.
(d) Working on the farm.
3. What does the judge require Lin bring to him before the divorce hearing can continue?
(a) Proof that Shuyu is having an affair.
(b) A letter or recommendation.
(c) A glass of water.
(d) Information about Manna.
4. What does Manna do for Lin that most fiancées do for their men?
(a) Clean his room.
(b) Sleep with him.
(c) Take care of him when he's sick.
(d) His laundry.
5. Lin's roles as an officer and doctor make him what kind of a man?
6. Why do Lin's comrades object to his long, parted in the middle hairstyle?
(a) Because he looks too feminine.
(b) Because he looks disheveled.
(c) Because he looks too intellectual.
(d) Because he looks too vain.
7. Why does Shuyu ask to spend the night with Lin one night when he is home?
(a) She misses him when he is away.
(b) She wants to give him a son.
(c) She doesn't want to share her room with their houseguests.
(d) She is afraid of the dark.
8. When the hospital goes to see the film, how does Manna act regarding feelings for Lin?
(a) She is very indiscreet.
(b) Lin feels curious of her feelings.
(c) She keeps them a secret.
(d) She tells him outright.
9. Which revolutionary party is Manna interested in joining?
(a) The Red Union.
(b) The Maoist Union.
(c) The Revolution Workers.
(d) The Red Party.
10. Why does manna ask to be left behind to die during the hospital camp-and-field training?
(a) Because her heart is still broken by Mai Dong.
(b) Because she feels responsible for a patient's death.
(c) Because she is so tired.
(d) Because she is ashamed of having feelings for Lin.
11. While Lin ghostwrites Manna's report on "Leaves of Grass," what aspect of the poems does he focus on?
12. As Lin's attempts to divorce Shuyu continue to fail, how does Manna come to treat the other nurses?
(a) Extra helpful.
(c) With hostility.
13. What does Lin's cousin ask for in his letter?
(a) A place to stay.
(c) To find him a wife.
(d) A recommendation for a job.
14. Why does Manna find Geng Yang "interesting?"
(a) He has a strange body.
(b) He is very masculine.
(c) He speaks with an accent.
(d) He is very kind.
15. On his first day in Muji City, what is Liang Meng's reason for needing to return home so soon?
(a) Lin told him to leave.
(b) He has run out of money.
(c) He doesn't like the weather.
(d) His daughter is ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Lin's weight when he falls ill with tuberculosis?
2. What do Manna and Liang Meng talk about when they first meet at the hospital?
3. When Lin returns to the hospital after failing to ask his wife for a divorce he tells Manna he is too what to spend time with her?
4. After Lin's father dies, how do his feelings about his wife and marriage change?
5. When Liang Meng and Manna meet alone in the city, whose poetry does he quote?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)