|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much yen does Llin have in the bank?
(a) 1,000 yen.
(b) 45 yen.
(c) 2,000 yen.
(d) 600 yen.
2. How does Geng Yang think Lin should carry out his relationship with Manna?
(a) Pretend like he's married to her.
(b) Keep her as his mistress.
(c) Keep her until he grows tired of her.
(d) End the relationship soon.
3. What do Manna and Liang Meng talk about when they first meet at the hospital?
(b) The weather.
4. Where did Manna Wu's parents die?
(b) Muji City.
(d) In their home.
5. Lin's roles as an officer and doctor make him what kind of a man?
6. Why is Manna hesitant to pursue sleeping with Lin?
(a) Because she doesn't want to manipulate Lin.
(b) Because she may be expelled from the army.
(c) Because she doesn't want to get pregnant.
(d) Because she is a virgin.
7. What is Lin's favorite part of visiting home?
(a) Seeing his wife.
(b) Working on the farm.
(c) Seeing his daughter.
(d) Escaping the city.
8. What does Commissar Wei ask the hospital to recommend for him?
(a) A good movie.
(b) An apartment to rent in Muji City.
(c) A good medicine for back pain.
(d) A nurse or doctor to marry.
9. What is Geng Yang's real reason for inviting Manna to his room?
(a) To sleep with her.
(b) To give her a gift.
(c) To profess his love to her.
(d) To kill her.
10. When Liang Meng and Manna meet alone in the city, whose poetry does he quote?
(a) Xiao Gang.
(b) Li Po.
(c) Chen Zi'ang.
11. Why do Lin's comrades object to his long, parted in the middle hairstyle?
(a) Because he looks disheveled.
(b) Because he looks too intellectual.
(c) Because he looks too feminine.
(d) Because he looks too vain.
12. What is the reason Manna gives Lin for wanting to sleep with him?
(a) To secure their relationship.
(b) To give him a son.
(c) To get attention from other nurses.
(d) To get him expelled from the army.
13. On the hospital camp-and-field training, what does Lin do to help Manna and the other nurses when they stop for the night?
(a) He brings them clean clothes.
(b) He treats their blistered feet.
(c) He helps convince a commander to let them go home.
(d) He gives them advice.
14. What does the judge require Lin bring to him before the divorce hearing can continue?
(a) A glass of water.
(b) A letter or recommendation.
(c) Proof that Shuyu is having an affair.
(d) Information about Manna.
15. What controversial items does Manna see in Lin's room?
(a) His laundry.
(b) A stack of journals.
(c) Foreign books.
(d) Pictures of his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the holiday banquet, what does Lin warn Manna not to do so much?
2. Why won't Manna let her roommates hear her cry?
3. While recapping her meeting with the commissar, Manna tells Lin Commissar Wei is more like a what than a warrior?
4. When Lin is questioned by the voice in his head about his refusal to sleep with Manna, he says that their relationship is not based on what?
5. What is the difference between Lin's side of the room and his roommates' side?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)