|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the audience cry during "The Flower Girl"?
(a) The move is violent.
(b) The main character dies.
(c) The young girls in the movie are crying.
(d) It brings back bad memories.
2. While Lin ghostwrites Manna's report on "Leaves of Grass," what aspect of the poems does he focus on?
3. Where does Lin Kong's wife, Shuyu, live?
(c) Muji City.
(d) Goose Village.
4. During Lin's second attempt to divorce his wife, what does Manna buy in anticipation that she will be married soon?
(b) A wedding dress.
(c) A baby crib.
(d) New bedding.
5. Why can't Manna be transferred to another hospital?
(a) Lin convinces them not to.
(b) Manna refuses to go.
(c) She isn't talented enough.
(d) Too many nurses are in the service.
6. What is the prognosis for Lin's tuberculosis?
(a) He is at risk of getting worse.
(b) He has showed no improvement.
(c) He will die soon.
(d) He will recover soon.
7. On the hospital camp-and-field training, what does Lin do to help Manna and the other nurses when they stop for the night?
(a) He helps convince a commander to let them go home.
(b) He gives them advice.
(c) He brings them clean clothes.
(d) He treats their blistered feet.
8. Why must Lin accompany Manna and Liang Meng's meeting at the hospital?
(a) To sabotage their relationship.
(b) To protect Manna.
(c) To encourage conversation.
(d) To chaperone.
9. What do Manna and Liang Meng talk about when they first meet at the hospital?
(d) The weather.
10. What happens to Lin's weight when he falls ill with tuberculosis?
(b) He loses 20 pounds.
(c) He gains 20 pounds.
(d) It fluctuates unpredictably.
11. Why does Manna want to learn to ride a bicycle?
(a) To get in shape.
(b) To travel more easily across the hospital yard.
(c) In case she moves to Harbin.
(d) To brag to the other nurses about her new skill.
12. What does Manna see Pingping Ma and Lin Kong doing that convinces her that they are a couple?
(a) Exchanging notes.
(b) Holding hands.
(d) Talking and laughing.
13. What does Lin observe about Ran Su's feet?
(a) They are abnormally large.
(b) They are feminine.
(c) They are swollen.
(d) They are worn and calloused.
14. What does Manna compare herself to at the prospect of her engagement to Commissar Wei?
(a) A prostitute.
(b) A thief.
(c) A princess.
(d) A flower in bloom.
15. What lie does Manna write in a letter to Liang Meng that scares him off?
(a) She has heart disease.
(b) She has an STD.
(c) She is divorced.
(d) She has a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Manna is lying, what is Commissar Wei's response to her claim of reading Russian novels?
2. Why does manna ask to be left behind to die during the hospital camp-and-field training?
3. For how long is Lin permitted to return home once a year?
4. Why does Lin's brother need to borrow money?
5. When Ran Su is cautioning Lin about his relationship with Mann, what does he mean by "abnormal" relationship?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)