|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Manna do for Lin that most fiancées do for their men?
(a) Sleep with him.
(b) His laundry.
(c) Take care of him when he's sick.
(d) Clean his room.
2. Why does Manna want to learn to ride a bicycle?
(a) To get in shape.
(b) To brag to the other nurses about her new skill.
(c) In case she moves to Harbin.
(d) To travel more easily across the hospital yard.
3. What is the reason Manna gives Lin for wanting to sleep with him?
(a) To get attention from other nurses.
(b) To get him expelled from the army.
(c) To secure their relationship.
(d) To give him a son.
4. After Lin's father dies, how do his feelings about his wife and marriage change?
(a) He should remain married out of respect for his parents.
(b) He no longer needs to be married to Shuyu.
(c) He realizes life is short and he should live how he wants.
(d) He realizes life is short and he wants to stay with his wife.
5. What does Commissar Wei ask the hospital to recommend for him?
(a) A good medicine for back pain.
(b) A nurse or doctor to marry.
(c) A good movie.
(d) An apartment to rent in Muji City.
6. What controversial items does Manna see in Lin's room?
(a) A stack of journals.
(b) Foreign books.
(c) His laundry.
(d) Pictures of his family.
7. What is the identifying feature of the woman who Lin sleeps with in his dream?
(a) A birthmark on her arm.
(b) Her voice.
(c) Her thin face.
(d) Her long fingers.
8. What is the difference between Lin's side of the room and his roommates' side?
(a) His roommates are very messy.
(b) His roommates have photos of celebrities on their walls.
(c) His roommates have no books.
(d) His roommates have news clippings on their walls.
9. Although Manna is lying, what is Commissar Wei's response to her claim of reading Russian novels?
(a) He praises her taste.
(b) He criticizes her taste.
(c) He is silent.
(d) He changes the subject.
10. Why does Geng Yang ask Manna to come to his room?
(a) So he can give her Lin's books.
(b) To give her a present.
(c) So she can help him pack.
(d) To say goodbye.
11. During Lin's second attempt to divorce his wife, what does Manna buy in anticipation that she will be married soon?
(a) A baby crib.
(b) New bedding.
(d) A wedding dress.
12. What happens to Lin's weight when he falls ill with tuberculosis?
(a) It fluctuates unpredictably.
(b) He gains 20 pounds.
(d) He loses 20 pounds.
13. Why is Manna hesitant to pursue sleeping with Lin?
(a) Because she doesn't want to manipulate Lin.
(b) Because she doesn't want to get pregnant.
(c) Because she is a virgin.
(d) Because she may be expelled from the army.
14. Which revolutionary party is Manna interested in joining?
(a) The Red Party.
(b) The Red Union.
(c) The Maoist Union.
(d) The Revolution Workers.
15. Who does Manna hit while riding her bike home one night?
(a) Ran Su's wife.
(b) Ran Su.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Haiyan think Lin refuses to take the opportunity to use her sister's house?
2. Since Lin thinks that his divorce is unlikely, what does he propose Manna should do?
3. What is Ran Su's only condition on allowing Manna and Lin to take Geng Yang out to dinner?
4. What is Geng Yang's response to "The Flower Girl"?
5. If Manna's parents had lived, she thinks they could have been ________.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)