|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Commissar Wei ask the hospital to recommend for him?
(a) A nurse or doctor to marry.
(b) An apartment to rent in Muji City.
(c) A good medicine for back pain.
(d) A good movie.
2. What do Manna and Liang Meng talk about when they first meet at the hospital?
(a) The weather.
3. Which revolutionary party is Manna interested in joining?
(a) The Maoist Union.
(b) The Revolution Workers.
(c) The Red Union.
(d) The Red Party.
4. What American poet does Commissar Wei recommend to Manna?
(a) Sylvia Plath.
(b) Walt Whitman.
(c) Robert Frost.
(d) Allen Ginsberg.
5. Why do Lin's comrades object to his long, parted in the middle hairstyle?
(a) Because he looks too intellectual.
(b) Because he looks too vain.
(c) Because he looks too feminine.
(d) Because he looks disheveled.
6. Aside from Latin, what languages must nurses learn to be promoted to assistant doctor?
(a) Russian and German.
(b) Tibetan and Japanese.
(c) English and Japanese.
(d) Japanese and Korean.
7. Although Manna is lying, what is Commissar Wei's response to her claim of reading Russian novels?
(a) He praises her taste.
(b) He changes the subject.
(c) He is silent.
(d) He criticizes her taste.
8. What does the judge require Lin bring to him before the divorce hearing can continue?
(a) Information about Manna.
(b) A glass of water.
(c) Proof that Shuyu is having an affair.
(d) A letter or recommendation.
9. When Lin and Manna break up, what does Lin do to occupy his time?
(a) Pursue other women.
(b) Recatologue medical records.
(d) Write letters to his wife.
10. Why does Lin's brother need to borrow money?
(a) To pay off his debts.
(b) To bet on a game.
(c) To surprise his wife with a gift.
(d) To send his children to private school.
11. Why does Manna find Geng Yang "interesting?"
(a) He speaks with an accent.
(b) He has a strange body.
(c) He is very masculine.
(d) He is very kind.
12. Why does the audience cry during "The Flower Girl"?
(a) It brings back bad memories.
(b) The young girls in the movie are crying.
(c) The main character dies.
(d) The move is violent.
13. Why does the group congregate outside the courthouse after Lin and Shuyu's divorce hearing?
(a) To support Lin.
(b) To ask for divorces themselves.
(c) To heckle Lin.
(d) To pay their taxes.
14. Why does Geng Yang ask Manna to come to his room?
(a) To give her a present.
(b) To say goodbye.
(c) So she can help him pack.
(d) So he can give her Lin's books.
15. What are Lin's conditions on Manna's prospective new fiancé?
(a) He still allows them to see each other.
(b) She is promoted and goes to college.
(c) He takes her far away.
(d) He doesn't ever divorce her.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Liang Meng and Manna meet alone in the city, whose poetry does he quote?
2. What does Ren ask Lin to bring home from the hospital to help his son's stomach?
3. Who does Manna hit while riding her bike home one night?
4. What does Lin's cousin ask for in his letter?
5. What happens to Lin's weight when he falls ill with tuberculosis?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)