|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Geng Yang think Lin should carry out his relationship with Manna?
(a) Keep her until he grows tired of her.
(b) Keep her as his mistress.
(c) Pretend like he's married to her.
(d) End the relationship soon.
2. After Lin's father dies, how do his feelings about his wife and marriage change?
(a) He realizes life is short and he should live how he wants.
(b) He should remain married out of respect for his parents.
(c) He realizes life is short and he wants to stay with his wife.
(d) He no longer needs to be married to Shuyu.
3. After being deployed, what does Mai Dong write to Manna to tell her?
(a) He is marrying his cousin.
(b) He has a girlfriend.
(c) He is marrying his niece.
(d) He wants to marry her when he returns.
4. What lie does Manna write in a letter to Liang Meng that scares him off?
(a) She has heart disease.
(b) She has a child.
(c) She is divorced.
(d) She has an STD.
5. What does Manna compare herself to at the prospect of her engagement to Commissar Wei?
(a) A flower in bloom.
(b) A thief.
(c) A princess.
(d) A prostitute.
6. What unnerves Manna about Geng Yang when she sees him at the bus stop?
(a) His grin.
(b) His flirtatious attitude.
(c) His quietness.
(d) His clothing.
7. Lin's roles as an officer and doctor make him what kind of a man?
8. Since Lin thinks that his divorce is unlikely, what does he propose Manna should do?
(a) Transfer to another hospital.
(b) Wait for him.
(c) Kill his wife.
(d) Find another boyfriend.
9. When Liang Meng and Manna meet alone in the city, whose poetry does he quote?
(a) Li Po.
(c) Xiao Gang.
(d) Chen Zi'ang.
10. While Lin ghostwrites Manna's report on "Leaves of Grass," what aspect of the poems does he focus on?
11. What reason does Lin give Shuyu for wanting a divorce?
(a) He doesn't want to travel to Goose Village anymore.
(b) He wants to make a home in the city.
(c) He is bored with her.
(d) She can't bear any more children.
12. What are Lin's conditions on Manna's prospective new fiancé?
(a) He doesn't ever divorce her.
(b) She is promoted and goes to college.
(c) He takes her far away.
(d) He still allows them to see each other.
13. What does Lin's cousin ask for in his letter?
(b) A place to stay.
(c) A recommendation for a job.
(d) To find him a wife.
14. If Manna's parents had lived, she thinks they could have been ________.
(a) High-ranking officials.
(b) Famous writers.
(c) Adventurous travelers.
(d) Inadequate parents.
15. Why does the group congregate outside the courthouse after Lin and Shuyu's divorce hearing?
(a) To ask for divorces themselves.
(b) To support Lin.
(c) To pay their taxes.
(d) To heckle Lin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Lin's comrades object to his long, parted in the middle hairstyle?
2. What does Manna do for Lin that most fiancées do for their men?
3. For how long is Lin permitted to return home once a year?
4. Why does the audience cry during "The Flower Girl"?
5. What is the purpose of the newspaper article about Lin and Shuyu's divorce hearing?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)