|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Lin believe is the key player in making his divorce successful?
(c) Ran Su.
2. Which revolutionary party is Manna interested in joining?
(a) The Red Union.
(b) The Red Party.
(c) The Revolution Workers.
(d) The Maoist Union.
3. Why does Lin's brother need to borrow money?
(a) To pay off his debts.
(b) To surprise his wife with a gift.
(c) To bet on a game.
(d) To send his children to private school.
4. When Lin is questioned by the voice in his head about his refusal to sleep with Manna, he says that their relationship is not based on what?
(b) The rules of society.
(c) The flesh.
(d) What others want.
5. Why does manna ask to be left behind to die during the hospital camp-and-field training?
(a) Because she feels responsible for a patient's death.
(b) Because she is so tired.
(c) Because she is ashamed of having feelings for Lin.
(d) Because her heart is still broken by Mai Dong.
6. What is the identifying feature of the woman who Lin sleeps with in his dream?
(a) Her voice.
(b) Her thin face.
(c) A birthmark on her arm.
(d) Her long fingers.
7. What is Geng Yang's real reason for inviting Manna to his room?
(a) To give her a gift.
(b) To kill her.
(c) To sleep with her.
(d) To profess his love to her.
8. What is Commissar Wei's reason for wanting to discontinue his relationship with Manna?
(a) She is too old.
(b) He knows about her and Lin.
(c) She has poor handwriting.
(d) She smells bad.
9. As Lin's attempts to divorce Shuyu continue to fail, how does Manna come to treat the other nurses?
(a) With hostility.
(d) Extra helpful.
10. For how long is Lin permitted to return home once a year?
(a) One week.
(b) Two months.
(c) Twelve days.
(d) One month.
11. What does Manna do for Lin that most fiancées do for their men?
(a) Sleep with him.
(b) Clean his room.
(c) His laundry.
(d) Take care of him when he's sick.
12. Who does Manna hit while riding her bike home one night?
(c) Ran Su's wife.
(d) Ran Su.
13. At the end of Part 2: Chapter 8, what does Lin regret talking to Manna about?
(a) Finding her a transfer.
(b) Paying Bensheng.
(c) Arranging another boyfriend for her.
(d) Postponing the divorce.
14. What is Lin's observation of how Geng Yang speaks?
15. After a chief in the City Administration dies, what does Manna begin to do?
(a) Pursue a man who will marry her.
(b) Take better care of her health.
(c) Pressure Lin to divorce his wife.
(d) Take care of the chief's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Geng Yang's response to "The Flower Girl"?
2. When Ran Su is cautioning Lin about his relationship with Mann, what does he mean by "abnormal" relationship?
3. After Manna wins a prize for table tennis, what does she tell Lin is her wish?
4. What does Manna see Pingping Ma and Lin Kong doing that convinces her that they are a couple?
5. What lie does Manna write in a letter to Liang Meng that scares him off?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)