|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After a chief in the City Administration dies, what does Manna begin to do?
(a) Pressure Lin to divorce his wife.
(b) Take better care of her health.
(c) Take care of the chief's wife.
(d) Pursue a man who will marry her.
2. When Lin is questioned by the voice in his head about his refusal to sleep with Manna, he says that their relationship is not based on what?
(b) The rules of society.
(c) The flesh.
(d) What others want.
3. How much yen does Llin have in the bank?
(a) 2,000 yen.
(b) 600 yen.
(c) 45 yen.
(d) 1,000 yen.
4. What lie does Manna write in a letter to Liang Meng that scares him off?
(a) She is divorced.
(b) She has a child.
(c) She has an STD.
(d) She has heart disease.
5. What does Liang Meng give as his reason for staying in Muji City for the summer?
(a) To take wood carving classes.
(b) To get medical care.
(c) To experience exciting city life.
(d) To visit Lin.
6. What are Lin's conditions on Manna's prospective new fiancé?
(a) He doesn't ever divorce her.
(b) He takes her far away.
(c) He still allows them to see each other.
(d) She is promoted and goes to college.
7. When Manna thanks Lin for his help, what is his response?
(a) It is his job.
(b) He had nothing better to do.
(c) She is incapable of taking care of herself.
(d) He would do anything for her.
8. Why do Lin's comrades object to his long, parted in the middle hairstyle?
(a) Because he looks too feminine.
(b) Because he looks too intellectual.
(c) Because he looks disheveled.
(d) Because he looks too vain.
9. What is the purpose of the newspaper article about Lin and Shuyu's divorce hearing?
(a) To support Lin's decision.
(b) To criticize the judge.
(c) To add to the statistics of divorce in China.
(d) To discourage Lin from continuing.
10. What is Ran Su's only condition on allowing Manna and Lin to take Geng Yang out to dinner?
(a) Lin must pay for the meal.
(b) The three must stay together.
(c) They must go out during the day.
(d) Ran Su can attend as well.
11. Who does Lin believe is the key player in making his divorce successful?
(d) Ran Su.
12. What does Manna see Pingping Ma and Lin Kong doing that convinces her that they are a couple?
(b) Exchanging notes.
(c) Holding hands.
(d) Talking and laughing.
13. At the holiday banquet, what does Lin warn Manna not to do so much?
14. What do the villagers in Goose Village think of Shuyu?
(a) She is perfect.
(b) She is unfaithful.
(c) She is rude.
(d) She is a bad mother.
15. What is Commissar Wei's reason for wanting to discontinue his relationship with Manna?
(a) She is too old.
(b) She has poor handwriting.
(c) He knows about her and Lin.
(d) She smells bad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Geng Yang's response to "The Flower Girl"?
2. After Manna wins a prize for table tennis, what does she tell Lin is her wish?
3. After being deployed, what does Mai Dong write to Manna to tell her?
4. What controversial items does Manna see in Lin's room?
5. What does the judge require Lin bring to him before the divorce hearing can continue?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)