|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Lin Kong's wife, Shuyu, live?
(c) Muji City.
(d) Goose Village.
2. Lin's roles as an officer and doctor make him what kind of a man?
3. Why does Geng Yang ask Manna to come to his room?
(a) To say goodbye.
(b) To give her a present.
(c) So she can help him pack.
(d) So he can give her Lin's books.
4. Why is Manna hesitant to pursue sleeping with Lin?
(a) Because she may be expelled from the army.
(b) Because she doesn't want to get pregnant.
(c) Because she doesn't want to manipulate Lin.
(d) Because she is a virgin.
5. Why won't Manna let her roommates hear her cry?
(a) So they won't be suspicious.
(b) So they will sleep.
(c) Because she is crying for no reason.
(d) So they won't make fun of her.
6. What does Liang Meng give as his reason for staying in Muji City for the summer?
(a) To get medical care.
(b) To visit Lin.
(c) To take wood carving classes.
(d) To experience exciting city life.
7. What controversial items does Manna see in Lin's room?
(a) Pictures of his family.
(b) A stack of journals.
(c) Foreign books.
(d) His laundry.
8. What is Geng Yang's response to "The Flower Girl"?
(a) He criticizes the acting.
(b) He cries.
(c) He is overwhelmed with emotion.
(d) He is unaffected.
9. Although Manna is lying, what is Commissar Wei's response to her claim of reading Russian novels?
(a) He is silent.
(b) He praises her taste.
(c) He criticizes her taste.
(d) He changes the subject.
10. Why does Manna squat over a bucket for so long?
(a) To prevent pregnancy.
(b) She is constipated.
(c) Her back is sore.
(d) She is cold.
11. Why does manna ask to be left behind to die during the hospital camp-and-field training?
(a) Because her heart is still broken by Mai Dong.
(b) Because she is ashamed of having feelings for Lin.
(c) Because she is so tired.
(d) Because she feels responsible for a patient's death.
12. For how long is Lin permitted to return home once a year?
(a) One month.
(b) One week.
(c) Two months.
(d) Twelve days.
13. When Lin is questioned by the voice in his head about his refusal to sleep with Manna, he says that their relationship is not based on what?
(a) What others want.
(c) The flesh.
(d) The rules of society.
14. What is Ran Su's only condition on allowing Manna and Lin to take Geng Yang out to dinner?
(a) Ran Su can attend as well.
(b) Lin must pay for the meal.
(c) They must go out during the day.
(d) The three must stay together.
15. Why does Manna find Geng Yang "interesting?"
(a) He has a strange body.
(b) He is very masculine.
(c) He speaks with an accent.
(d) He is very kind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Lin's comrades object to his long, parted in the middle hairstyle?
2. While Lin ghostwrites Manna's report on "Leaves of Grass," what aspect of the poems does he focus on?
3. Why does the group congregate outside the courthouse after Lin and Shuyu's divorce hearing?
4. Why can't Manna be transferred to another hospital?
5. On his first day in Muji City, what is Liang Meng's reason for needing to return home so soon?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)