|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't anyone play cards as the people in Lin's dream do?
(a) They are all too busy with work.
(b) The hospital confiscates cards because they are a distraction.
(c) Cards are banned.
(d) Because no one ever learned how to play.
2. While recapping her meeting with the commissar, Manna tells Lin Commissar Wei is more like a what than a warrior?
3. Why won't Manna let her roommates hear her cry?
(a) Because she is crying for no reason.
(b) So they won't make fun of her.
(c) So they will sleep.
(d) So they won't be suspicious.
4. What unnerves Manna about Geng Yang when she sees him at the bus stop?
(a) His grin.
(b) His flirtatious attitude.
(c) His clothing.
(d) His quietness.
5. What American poet does Commissar Wei recommend to Manna?
(a) Allen Ginsberg.
(b) Robert Frost.
(c) Sylvia Plath.
(d) Walt Whitman.
6. Why can't Manna be transferred to another hospital?
(a) Too many nurses are in the service.
(b) Lin convinces them not to.
(c) Manna refuses to go.
(d) She isn't talented enough.
7. Why does Geng Yang ask Manna to come to his room?
(a) So she can help him pack.
(b) So he can give her Lin's books.
(c) To give her a present.
(d) To say goodbye.
8. What does Lin compare himself to although he is married?
(a) An adulterer.
(b) A widower.
(c) A bachelor.
(d) A ladies' man.
9. What is the purpose of the newspaper article about Lin and Shuyu's divorce hearing?
(a) To support Lin's decision.
(b) To discourage Lin from continuing.
(c) To add to the statistics of divorce in China.
(d) To criticize the judge.
10. Why is Manna hesitant to pursue sleeping with Lin?
(a) Because she doesn't want to manipulate Lin.
(b) Because she is a virgin.
(c) Because she doesn't want to get pregnant.
(d) Because she may be expelled from the army.
11. What are Lin's conditions on Manna's prospective new fiancé?
(a) He still allows them to see each other.
(b) She is promoted and goes to college.
(c) He doesn't ever divorce her.
(d) He takes her far away.
12. Early in her fixation, what deters Manna's pursuance of Lin?
(a) Manna's obedience to the rules.
(b) His wife giving birth.
(c) Other's discouragement.
(d) Manna's respect for the sanctity of marriage.
13. When Lin and Manna break up, what does Lin do to occupy his time?
(a) Recatologue medical records.
(c) Pursue other women.
(d) Write letters to his wife.
14. What is Lin's observation of how Geng Yang speaks?
15. After Manna wins a prize for table tennis, what does she tell Lin is her wish?
(a) For Lin to kiss her.
(b) For Lin to propose to her.
(c) To quit the army.
(d) To see a picture of Shuyu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ren ask Lin to bring home from the hospital to help his son's stomach?
2. What happens to Lin's weight when he falls ill with tuberculosis?
3. On his first day in Muji City, what is Liang Meng's reason for needing to return home so soon?
4. What is the difference between Lin's side of the room and his roommates' side?
5. Who does Manna hit while riding her bike home one night?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)