|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lin's brother need to borrow money?
(a) To surprise his wife with a gift.
(b) To bet on a game.
(c) To send his children to private school.
(d) To pay off his debts.
2. How much yen does Llin have in the bank?
(a) 600 yen.
(b) 2,000 yen.
(c) 1,000 yen.
(d) 45 yen.
3. What rumor is going around the hospital about Lin's wife?
(a) She wants to divorce him.
(b) She can't have children.
(c) She is eight years his senior.
(d) She is having an affair with another doctor.
4. When Lin is questioned by the voice in his head about his refusal to sleep with Manna, he says that their relationship is not based on what?
(a) The flesh.
(b) What others want.
(c) The rules of society.
5. What does Lin's cousin ask for in his letter?
(a) To find him a wife.
(b) A place to stay.
(c) A recommendation for a job.
6. What do Manna and Liang Meng talk about when they first meet at the hospital?
(d) The weather.
7. What unnerves Manna about Geng Yang when she sees him at the bus stop?
(a) His clothing.
(b) His grin.
(c) His quietness.
(d) His flirtatious attitude.
8. What does Lin compare himself to although he is married?
(a) An adulterer.
(b) A widower.
(c) A ladies' man.
(d) A bachelor.
9. During Lin's second attempt to divorce his wife, what does Manna buy in anticipation that she will be married soon?
(a) A baby crib.
(b) New bedding.
(d) A wedding dress.
10. How long have Lin and Shuyu been separated for at the beginning of "Waiting"?
(a) Two years.
(b) Eighteen years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Four months.
11. What does Commissar Wei ask the hospital to recommend for him?
(a) An apartment to rent in Muji City.
(b) A good medicine for back pain.
(c) A nurse or doctor to marry.
(d) A good movie.
12. Although Manna is lying, what is Commissar Wei's response to her claim of reading Russian novels?
(a) He changes the subject.
(b) He praises her taste.
(c) He is silent.
(d) He criticizes her taste.
13. Why does Manna squat over a bucket for so long?
(a) She is constipated.
(b) She is cold.
(c) Her back is sore.
(d) To prevent pregnancy.
14. What is Ran Su's only condition on allowing Manna and Lin to take Geng Yang out to dinner?
(a) They must go out during the day.
(b) Lin must pay for the meal.
(c) The three must stay together.
(d) Ran Su can attend as well.
15. While Lin ghostwrites Manna's report on "Leaves of Grass," what aspect of the poems does he focus on?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Manna hesitant to pursue sleeping with Lin?
2. Why does Manna find Geng Yang "interesting?"
3. What happens to Lin's weight when he falls ill with tuberculosis?
4. Why does Shuyu ask to spend the night with Lin one night when he is home?
5. What does Ren ask Lin to bring home from the hospital to help his son's stomach?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)