|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Manna do for Lin that most fiancées do for their men?
(a) Clean his room.
(b) Take care of him when he's sick.
(c) Sleep with him.
(d) His laundry.
2. What are Lin's conditions on Manna's prospective new fiancé?
(a) She is promoted and goes to college.
(b) He doesn't ever divorce her.
(c) He still allows them to see each other.
(d) He takes her far away.
3. What is Commissar Wei's reason for wanting to discontinue his relationship with Manna?
(a) He knows about her and Lin.
(b) She is too old.
(c) She smells bad.
(d) She has poor handwriting.
4. Why does Manna find Geng Yang "interesting?"
(a) He has a strange body.
(b) He is very kind.
(c) He is very masculine.
(d) He speaks with an accent.
5. What controversial items does Manna see in Lin's room?
(a) His laundry.
(b) Pictures of his family.
(c) A stack of journals.
(d) Foreign books.
6. What does the judge require Lin bring to him before the divorce hearing can continue?
(a) A glass of water.
(b) Proof that Shuyu is having an affair.
(c) A letter or recommendation.
(d) Information about Manna.
7. For how long is Lin permitted to return home once a year?
(a) One week.
(b) Twelve days.
(c) Two months.
(d) One month.
8. While recapping her meeting with the commissar, Manna tells Lin Commissar Wei is more like a what than a warrior?
9. What does Manna see Pingping Ma and Lin Kong doing that convinces her that they are a couple?
(b) Holding hands.
(c) Exchanging notes.
(d) Talking and laughing.
10. What is Lin's observation of how Geng Yang speaks?
11. What does Lin's cousin ask for in his letter?
(b) To find him a wife.
(c) A recommendation for a job.
(d) A place to stay.
12. What is the purpose of the newspaper article about Lin and Shuyu's divorce hearing?
(a) To discourage Lin from continuing.
(b) To criticize the judge.
(c) To support Lin's decision.
(d) To add to the statistics of divorce in China.
13. What rare food does Bensheng bring to Lin's house?
14. When Manna thanks Lin for his help, what is his response?
(a) She is incapable of taking care of herself.
(b) He would do anything for her.
(c) He had nothing better to do.
(d) It is his job.
15. After Manna wins a prize for table tennis, what does she tell Lin is her wish?
(a) For Lin to kiss her.
(b) To quit the army.
(c) To see a picture of Shuyu.
(d) For Lin to propose to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Lin's second attempt to divorce his wife, what does Manna buy in anticipation that she will be married soon?
2. While Lin ghostwrites Manna's report on "Leaves of Grass," what aspect of the poems does he focus on?
3. At the restaurant, what is Geng Yang's advice for Lin to encourage his wife to consent to a divorce?
4. As Lin's attempts to divorce Shuyu continue to fail, how does Manna come to treat the other nurses?
5. Why must Lin accompany Manna and Liang Meng's meeting at the hospital?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)