|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Lin ghostwrites Manna's report on "Leaves of Grass," what aspect of the poems does he focus on?
2. What is Lin's favorite part of visiting home?
(a) Seeing his daughter.
(b) Escaping the city.
(c) Working on the farm.
(d) Seeing his wife.
3. When Lin and Manna break up, what does Lin do to occupy his time?
(a) Write letters to his wife.
(b) Recatologue medical records.
(d) Pursue other women.
4. What is Geng Yang's real reason for inviting Manna to his room?
(a) To give her a gift.
(b) To sleep with her.
(c) To kill her.
(d) To profess his love to her.
5. At the restaurant, what is Geng Yang's advice for Lin to encourage his wife to consent to a divorce?
(a) He pays Shuyu.
(b) He refuses to sleep with her.
(c) He bribes the judge.
(d) He threatens Shuyu.
6. Why does Haiyan think Lin refuses to take the opportunity to use her sister's house?
(a) Because he doesn't love Manna enough.
(b) Because he doesn't want to get Manna pregnant.
(c) Because he doesn't like Haiyan's sister's house.
(d) Because he is afraid of getting caught.
7. Aside from Latin, what languages must nurses learn to be promoted to assistant doctor?
(a) Russian and German.
(b) English and Japanese.
(c) Japanese and Korean.
(d) Tibetan and Japanese.
8. What is the identifying feature of the woman who Lin sleeps with in his dream?
(a) A birthmark on her arm.
(b) Her voice.
(c) Her long fingers.
(d) Her thin face.
9. What does Lin compare himself to although he is married?
(a) A ladies' man.
(b) An adulterer.
(c) A bachelor.
(d) A widower.
10. Commissar Wei stops in Muji City on his way to which border?
11. Why does Lin's brother need to borrow money?
(a) To pay off his debts.
(b) To send his children to private school.
(c) To surprise his wife with a gift.
(d) To bet on a game.
12. If Manna's parents had lived, she thinks they could have been ________.
(a) Inadequate parents.
(b) High-ranking officials.
(c) Adventurous travelers.
(d) Famous writers.
13. How long have Lin and Shuyu been separated for at the beginning of "Waiting"?
(a) Eighteen years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Four months.
14. Since Lin thinks that his divorce is unlikely, what does he propose Manna should do?
(a) Transfer to another hospital.
(b) Find another boyfriend.
(c) Kill his wife.
(d) Wait for him.
15. Although Manna is lying, what is Commissar Wei's response to her claim of reading Russian novels?
(a) He changes the subject.
(b) He praises her taste.
(c) He criticizes her taste.
(d) He is silent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lin's concern about Manna becoming engaged to another man?
2. At the holiday banquet, what does Lin warn Manna not to do so much?
3. What holiday is the staff banquet celebrating at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. What controversial items does Manna see in Lin's room?
5. How does Geng Yang think Lin should carry out his relationship with Manna?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)