|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gloria not mention to her friends?
2. Why does Troy claim that the drugs do not interfere with his life?
3. Why do Savannah's friends not seem interested to hear about her trip to Las Vegas?
4. How does Herbert react when Bernadine tells him she does not want to see him?
5. Who does Bernadine think about while she lays in bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robin's mother tell her the attorney advised?
2. What is happening with Phillip?
3. What happens after Gloria collapses on the floor?
4. What has happened to Phillip?
5. What does Savannah realize about Kenneth?
6. Why is Gloria pleased with Tarik?
7. Why must Savannah contact the government about her parents' food stamps?
8. How does Robin end up back with Troy?
9. To what does Kenneth reveal to Savannah? How does she react?
10. What are the circumstances leading up to Bernadine meeting James Wheeler for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses a metaphor to portray Bernadine's life.
Part 1) What is this metaphor?
Part 2) What does it say about Bernadine's life?
Part 3) How does this affect Bernadine throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Gloria is a single mother raising her sixteen-year-old son, Tarik.
Part 1) Why is she a single parent? Where is Tarik's father?
Part 2) What upsets Tarik about his mother's behavior when his father comes to visit? Why would she act this way?
Part 3) How does Gloria meet Marvin? Would he make a good father for Tarik? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Phillip has left the Oasis due to illness.
Part 1) What illness does he have?
Part 2) Why do the salon's patrons gossip about him?
Part 3) Are people who have the same illness as Phillip gossiped about today? Why or why not?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)