|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Gloria in the hospital?
2. What does Savannah realize about Kenneth?
3. How is Gloria four days later?
4. Where does Robin find her wallet?
5. What happens soon after Savannah leaves the restaurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bernadine's troubles with Herbert.
2. How is Gloria feeling?
3. How does Gloria's birthday party end?
4. What happens after Gloria collapses on the floor?
5. What does Savannah realize about Kenneth?
6. What takes place at the Black Women on the Move meeting?
7. How is Savannah disappointed with Charles?
8. Describe the conversation between Savannah and her mother, regarding Kenneth.
9. How is Gloria feeling?
10. What are the circumstances leading up to Bernadine meeting James Wheeler for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gloria's salon is called the Oasis.
Part 1) How is this salon symbolic?
Part 2) How is the name appropriate?
Part 3) How does Gloria's view of the salon change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Gloria regularly takes blood pressure pills when she is stressed.
Part 1) What is the cause of her stress?
Part 2) To what does the stress lead?
Part 3) Predict what changes she will make in her life to live healthier and with less stress.
Essay Topic 3
Tarik's father is absent through most of Tarik's life.
Part 1) How is this a theme in the book?
Part 2) How does this event relate to today's society?
Part 3) How do both Tarik and his mother handle the lack of a father figure?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)