|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bernadine's mother, Geneva, feel about the excuse her daughter gives for leaving her children with her?
2. When does Gloria become pregnant with Tarik?
3. What is Robin's reason for waking Michael one morning?
4. What does Robin Stokes' boyfriend, Russell, refuse to do?
5. What does Bernadine take to calm her nerves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Robin apprehensive about Michael?
2. What has happened to Phillip?
3. How has Bernadine's stress level increased?
4. Describe the conversation between Savannah and her mother, regarding Kenneth.
5. What happens to Savannah after leaving the restaurant?
6. How is Gloria feeling?
7. How is John causing Bernadine more stress?
8. What happens after Gloria collapses on the floor?
9. What is happening with Phillip?
10. What does Robin think of Michael?
Essay Topic 1
Tarik tries to hide something from his mother.
Part 1) What is he hiding?
Part 2) How does she find out? What is her reaction?
Part 3) Is Tarik following in his father's footsteps? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Gloria is a single mother raising her sixteen-year-old son, Tarik.
Part 1) Why is she a single parent? Where is Tarik's father?
Part 2) What upsets Tarik about his mother's behavior when his father comes to visit? Why would she act this way?
Part 3) How does Gloria meet Marvin? Would he make a good father for Tarik? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The three main characters are constantly in and out of relationships.
Part 1) Give an example for each character to support this statement.
Part 2) Why do their relationships not work?
Part 3) What advice would you give to them about being in a relationship?
This section contains 1,720 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)