|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Savannah satisfied with moving to Phoenix and taking a $12,000 pay cut?
2. When they reach Phoenix, Savannah drives to a travel agency to purchase an airline ticket for Lionel's return to Denver. For what does Lionel ask?
3. What does Bernadine do after kicking the mirror on the door?
4. What does Gloria do before donning a robe and going downstairs?
5. What does Robin Stokes' boyfriend, Russell, refuse to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gloria pleased with Tarik?
2. What realization does Robin come to, regarding Michael?
3. How does Robin end up back with Troy?
4. What has happened to Phillip?
5. How is Gloria feeling?
6. How does Bernadine react to John's news?
7. How is John causing Bernadine more stress?
8. Why is Robin's mother always pleased to see Robin?
9. Describe Bernadine's troubles with Herbert.
10. Why is John's decision not too surprising?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses a metaphor to portray Bernadine's life.
Part 1) What is this metaphor?
Part 2) What does it say about Bernadine's life?
Part 3) How does this affect Bernadine throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Gloria is a single mother raising her sixteen-year-old son, Tarik.
Part 1) Why is she a single parent? Where is Tarik's father?
Part 2) What upsets Tarik about his mother's behavior when his father comes to visit? Why would she act this way?
Part 3) How does Gloria meet Marvin? Would he make a good father for Tarik? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Phillip has left the Oasis due to illness.
Part 1) What illness does he have?
Part 2) Why do the salon's patrons gossip about him?
Part 3) Are people who have the same illness as Phillip gossiped about today? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,803 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)