|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robin Stokes' boyfriend, Russell, refuse to do?
2. Where do Robin, Bernadine, Savannah, and Gloria agree to meet for Happy Hour?
3. For what does Savannah long?
4. On her way home, what does Bernadine do?
5. Why does Bernadine not remember leaving her two small children asleep in their beds and has a difficult time remembering how to get back home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bernadine do with John's things she finds in the bedroom?
2. With whom does Savannah travel to Phoenix?
3. What have John's goals done to Bernadine?
4. How has Bernadine's stress level increased?
5. What does Gloria want for her son?
6. What do Savannah and Robin discuss in the steam room?
7. How is John causing Bernadine more stress?
8. What is Savannah's mother's suggestion regarding Kenneth?
9. What does Bernadine do after hearing John's news?
10. Why is John's decision not too surprising?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tarik's father is absent through most of Tarik's life.
Part 1) How is this a theme in the book?
Part 2) How does this event relate to today's society?
Part 3) How do both Tarik and his mother handle the lack of a father figure?
Essay Topic 2
John nonchalantly informs Bernadine that he is leaving her.
Part 1) For whom does he leave Bernadine?
Part 2) Describe John.
Part 3) How is John's business practices a metaphor for how he handles his breakup with Bernadine?
Essay Topic 3
Savannah notices a run in her pantyhose at the New Year's Eve party.
Part 1) What happens to the run as the night progresses?
Part 2) What does this run foreshadow later in the night?
Part 3) What might this run foreshadow later in the novel?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)