|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bernadine returns home, what does she realize?
2. Why is Bernadine unhappy with her job as a controller for a real estate management company?
3. What does Savannah vow to stop doing in the new year?
4. Why does Tarik apologize to his mother?
5. What does Robin do when the tires on her car are slit one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Black Women on the Move?
2. How does Gloria become a single mother?
3. How is John causing Bernadine more stress?
4. What do Savannah and Robin discuss in the steam room?
5. What is Savannah's first impression of Lionel?
6. How has Bernadine's stress level increased?
7. What does Bernadine do with John's things she finds in the bedroom?
8. Why is Savannah moving to Phoenix?
9. What does Gloria discover about Tarik? How does she handle the situation?
10. Where do Robin, Bernadine, Savannah, and Gloria meet? Who organizes this event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tarik tries to hide something from his mother.
Part 1) What is he hiding?
Part 2) How does she find out? What is her reaction?
Part 3) Is Tarik following in his father's footsteps? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Gloria is a single mother raising her sixteen-year-old son, Tarik.
Part 1) Why is she a single parent? Where is Tarik's father?
Part 2) What upsets Tarik about his mother's behavior when his father comes to visit? Why would she act this way?
Part 3) How does Gloria meet Marvin? Would he make a good father for Tarik? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Gloria's salon is called the Oasis.
Part 1) How is this salon symbolic?
Part 2) How is the name appropriate?
Part 3) How does Gloria's view of the salon change throughout the book?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)