|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does she tell her mother is the reason for leaving the children there?
2. What does Savannah vow to stop doing in the new year?
3. The sensations Bernadine has are similar to what event?
4. To where does Robin invite herself, much to Savannah's chagrin?
5. Why does Bernadine sideline her own wish to open a catering business?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Robin tolerate Russell?
2. What does Gloria want for her son?
3. What does Gloria discover about Tarik? How does she handle the situation?
4. What does Bernadine do with John's things she finds in the bedroom?
5. With whom does Savannah travel to Phoenix?
6. What is Savannah's first impression of Lionel?
7. What does Bernadine do with the rest of John's possessions?
8. Why is Robin's mother always pleased to see Robin?
9. What realization does Robin come to, regarding Michael?
10. What does Bernadine do after hearing John's news?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bernadine rids herself of John and his possessions in a similar way to how he has treated her throughout their relationship.
Part 1) How has John treated Bernadine?
Part 2) How is this scene ironic?
Part 3) What does John do to attempt to keep her from getting access to his fortune? Does is work? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Gloria's salon is called the Oasis.
Part 1) How is this salon symbolic?
Part 2) How is the name appropriate?
Part 3) How does Gloria's view of the salon change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
All the chapters about Bernadine and Gloria are written in the third person point of view.
Part 1) What is third person?
Part 2) How does the author help you understand their thoughts and feelings?
Part 3) Do you like reading the third person or first person chapters best? Why?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)