|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who invites Savannah to the party?
2. What does Bernadine do with John's clothes?
3. What does Bernadine do with John's clothes and his car?
4. How does Bernadine feel about the mortgage payment not being made by John?
5. Why does she decide to see him again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Michael's treatment of Robin.
2. What does Savannah learn about Lionel on the trip?
3. What realization does Robin come to, regarding Michael?
4. Describe the conversation between Savannah and her mother, regarding Kenneth.
5. What do we know about Troy's life?
6. What does Savannah think of herself, when she looks in the mirror?
7. What does Bernadine learn about James?
8. What happens after Gloria collapses on the floor?
9. What happens to Robin's father?
10. How has Bernadine's stress level increased?
Essay Topic 1
The focus of this book is on relationships between men and women.
Part 1) Give two examples of the relationships found in this book.
Part 2) Compare and contrast these two relationships.
Part 3) What have you learned about relationships from this book? Use information from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Gloria's salon is called the Oasis.
Part 1) How is this salon symbolic?
Part 2) How is the name appropriate?
Part 3) How does Gloria's view of the salon change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Gloria is a single mother raising her sixteen-year-old son, Tarik.
Part 1) Why is she a single parent? Where is Tarik's father?
Part 2) What upsets Tarik about his mother's behavior when his father comes to visit? Why would she act this way?
Part 3) How does Gloria meet Marvin? Would he make a good father for Tarik? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,720 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)