|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years does Tengo study before taking his first break?
2. What does Tengo now know about Joseph?
3. How old is Frikkie in Chapter 10?
4. Why does Frikkie have to wait after his school years to return to the farm permanently?
5. What does Tengo think about the student protesters suggestion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tengo attempt to explain to Frikkie when they are trapped in a shed together?
2. What warning does Tengo give Frikkie when he lets him go and what decision does Tengo make about his future?
3. What does Tengo learn about Emma when he visits her in Chapter 15?
4. How does Frikkie symbolize the attitudes of the whites in South Africa during apartheid?
5. How does Tengo subdue the soldier in the shed and what shock does he get when he recognizes him?
6. What is Tengo able to vent about his family's life when he is closed in the shed with Frikkie?
7. What prevents the mourners at the funeral from doing something they want to do?
8. What causes Tengo to question whether he will be able to go to school abroad?
9. Where does Tengo hide when he is being chased by a soldier during the angry encounter?
10. What does Tengo decide to do instead of pursue his education abroad?
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting for the stories in the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Gordon choose to use these places in the stories?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the stories. Explain the concept of foreshadowing and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of man's inhumanity to man. Identify at least two characters in the book who either embody or experience man's inhumanity to man then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,586 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)