|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Millers encourage Tengo to study in school?
2. Life staying familiar is ____________________ for Frikkie.
3. Why does Tengo study during his breaks?
4. How does Tengo feel about Joseph's offer?
5. How old is Frikkie in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tengo react when the soldiers open fire on the unarmed protesters?
2. Where does Tengo hide when he is being chased by a soldier during the angry encounter?
3. How does Frikkie symbolize the attitudes of the whites in South Africa during apartheid?
4. What causes Tengo to question whether he will be able to go to school abroad?
5. Where does Tengo learn that the reverend is when he tries to return some books?
6. What is Tengo able to vent about his family's life when he is closed in the shed with Frikkie?
7. What warning does Tengo give Frikkie when he lets him go and what decision does Tengo make about his future?
8. What does Tengo learn about Emma when he visits her in Chapter 15?
9. What does Tengo attempt to explain to Frikkie when they are trapped in a shed together?
10. What does Tengo decide to do instead of pursue his education abroad?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of man's inhumanity to man. Identify at least two characters in the book who either embody or experience man's inhumanity to man then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Oppression is an important theme in the stories. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters from the book and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
This section contains 1,504 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)