|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Millers encourage Tengo to study in school?
2. What consumes most of Tengo's time at school?
3. Tengo struggles with his need for an education and ________________________.
4. Which of the following is NOT a reason Tengo considers continuing his education?
5. What is Tengo's first stop once he arrives in Johannesburg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the source of Tengo's angry moods?
2. How does Tengo get caught up in the protests at the school?
3. What reason does the reverend give Tengo on the importance of him continuing his education?
4. What does Tengo devote his time to when school starts again?
5. How is Dr. Miller starkly different from the oubaas and his wife?
6. What decision does Tengo struggle with after the school closes?
7. Why is Tengo conflicted about his personal desires and the issues for the greater good?
8. How does Tengo act when Frikke comes to the farm for another school vacation?
9. What does Frikkie have to do after completing his education and what does he learn about Tengo's plans for schooling?
10. Why does Joseph's offer to help Tengo continue his education bring such relief to Tengo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Frikkie. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Frikkie?
Essay Topic 2
Hatred seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of hatred? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in South Africa in the late-20th century when the women in the book are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)