|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tengo leave the schoolyard?
2. Tengo is aware of his mother's ___________________ at his departure.
3. How does Tengo feel about Joseph's offer?
4. Tengo dreams of going abroad to a place where ____________________________.
5. Why does Tengo end his relationship with his girlfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joseph's offer to help Tengo continue his education bring such relief to Tengo?
2. Why do Dr. and Mrs. Miller encourage Tengo to study art in school?
3. What does Frikkie have to do after completing his education and what does he learn about Tengo's plans for schooling?
4. What does Tengo suspect about Joseph who is rarely home these days?
5. What does Tengo learn about Joseph and the organization with which he is associated?
6. What does Tengo encounter one day when he arrives at school?
7. What does Tengo think about what the protesters believe the whites will never allow blacks to have?
8. How does Frikkie feel about the changes occurring in the world?
9. What is the source of Tengo's angry moods?
10. What arises which makes Tengo lose focus on his studies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of man's inhumanity to man. Identify at least two characters in the book who either embody or experience man's inhumanity to man then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Who are two of Gordon's characters in this book who appeal to you the most? What is it about these characters that you like? What are their weaknesses? How about redeeming qualities? Are Gordon's characters believable in your opinion? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Sheila Gordon's writing style. How does she deliver information? How does she develop characters? What is the general tone of her work? What is the most appealing aspect of Gordon's writing for you? Explain.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)