|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the head of the organization Tengo is asked to join?
2. How does Tengo leave the schoolyard?
3. How many years does Frikkie have to wait after his school years until he can return to the farm permanently?
4. Who pays for Tengo's train ticket?
5. What are the people Tengo finds at the school when he arrives doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Tengo struggle with after the school closes?
2. What does Tengo encounter one day when he arrives at school?
3. What is the source of Tengo's angry moods?
4. Why does Tengo have to ignore his mother's feelings before he departs for school?
5. What does Tengo think about what the protesters believe the whites will never allow blacks to have?
6. What does Frikkie have to do after completing his education and what does he learn about Tengo's plans for schooling?
7. What arises which makes Tengo lose focus on his studies?
8. What do the protesters think the students should do and how does Tengo feel about it?
9. What does Claire share with Tengo about an integrated community and what is Joseph's opinion of it?
10. What reason does the reverend give Tengo on the importance of him continuing his education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in the book What does it mean for some of the characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How are some of the families fractured? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Hatred seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of hatred? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Dr. Miller. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Dr. Miller?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)