Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tengo study during his breaks?
2. Why is Tengo happy about the chance to continue his education?
3. How much time has passed since Tengo arrived at school?
4. Tengo no longer has to choose between his people and _________________.
5. Tengo must choose between his personal desire for an education and _____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tengo subdue the soldier in the shed and what shock does he get when he recognizes him?
2. What does Tengo learn about Emma when he visits her in Chapter 15?
3. How does Frikkie symbolize the attitudes of the whites in South Africa during apartheid?
4. Where does Tengo hide when he is being chased by a soldier during the angry encounter?
5. Where does Tengo learn that the reverend is when he tries to return some books?
6. What does Tengo decide to do instead of pursue his education abroad?
7. What causes Tengo to question whether he will be able to go to school abroad?
8. What does Tengo attempt to explain to Frikkie when they are trapped in a shed together?
9. What is Tengo able to vent about his family's life when he is closed in the shed with Frikkie?
10. What warning does Tengo give Frikkie when he lets him go and what decision does Tengo make about his future?
Essay Topic 1
Who are two of Gordon's characters in this book who appeal to you the most? What is it about these characters that you like? What are their weaknesses? How about redeeming qualities? Are Gordon's characters believable in your opinion? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Frikkie. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Frikkie?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast one of Gordon's characters to someone you know in your life. Which qualities do they share? What makes them so alike? Do you like the characteristics of the two? Do they have any qualities you would like to emulate? Do you respect them? How do they differ? Explain.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)