|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tengo stops studying and feels __________________.
2. With which girl does Tengo have his first romance?
3. Which of the following is NOT a reason Tengo considers continuing his education?
4. What does Tengo think when Joseph is gone so often from home?
5. What type of community does Claire tell Tengo she has created?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the protesters think the students should do and how does Tengo feel about it?
2. How does Tengo act when Frikke comes to the farm for another school vacation?
3. Why is Tengo's need to make a choice a sad and unfair situation?
4. What does Tengo suspect about Joseph who is rarely home these days?
5. How does Tengo get caught up in the protests at the school?
6. Why do Dr. and Mrs. Miller encourage Tengo to study art in school?
7. Why does Tengo have to ignore his mother's feelings before he departs for school?
8. What do the oubaas notice about Tengo's mood in Chapter 7?
9. Why is Tengo conflicted about his personal desires and the issues for the greater good?
10. What does Tengo think about what the protesters believe the whites will never allow blacks to have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in the book What does it mean for some of the characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How are some of the families fractured? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
WAITING FOR THE RAIN is a classic coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
WAITING FOR THE RAIN is a classic example of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)