|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Tengo to the train on the day of his departure?
2. Which of the following is NOT a reason Tengo considers continuing his education?
3. What is the nature of the student protests?
4. How does Tengo feel about the inequality between blacks and whites?
5. What is Claire's proposed occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Dr. Miller starkly different from the oubaas and his wife?
2. Who is Elijah and what groups does he invite Tengo to join?
3. What decision does Tengo struggle with after the school closes?
4. What do the oubaas notice about Tengo's mood in Chapter 7?
5. What does Tengo suspect about Joseph who is rarely home these days?
6. Why is Tengo's need to make a choice a sad and unfair situation?
7. How much time has passed since the last chapter and what does Tengo no longer note about living in Johannesburg?
8. Why does Tengo end his relationship with Emma?
9. Why is Tengo conflicted about his personal desires and the issues for the greater good?
10. What arises which makes Tengo lose focus on his studies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WAITING FOR THE RAIN is a classic example of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Oom Koos. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Oom Koos?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Sheila Gordon's writing style. How does she deliver information? How does she develop characters? What is the general tone of her work? What is the most appealing aspect of Gordon's writing for you? Explain.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)