|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frikkie want life to stay the same?
2. Tengo must choose between his personal desire for an education and _____________________________.
3. According to Tengo, some of his friends and family believe that the white man will never allow blacks to have ____________________________.
4. What is the nature of the student protests?
5. How does Tengo feel about the inequality between blacks and whites?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tengo have to ignore his mother's feelings before he departs for school?
2. How does Tengo act when Frikke comes to the farm for another school vacation?
3. How much time has passed since the last chapter and what does Tengo no longer note about living in Johannesburg?
4. What does Tengo learn about Joseph and the organization with which he is associated?
5. Why is Tengo conflicted about his personal desires and the issues for the greater good?
6. What does Frikkie have to do after completing his education and what does he learn about Tengo's plans for schooling?
7. Who is Elijah and what groups does he invite Tengo to join?
8. What does Claire share with Tengo about an integrated community and what is Joseph's opinion of it?
9. What do the protesters think the students should do and how does Tengo feel about it?
10. Why do Dr. and Mrs. Miller encourage Tengo to study art in school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Sheila Gordon's writing style. How does she deliver information? How does she develop characters? What is the general tone of her work? What is the most appealing aspect of Gordon's writing for you? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
WAITING FOR THE RAIN is a classic example of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast one of Gordon's characters to someone you know in your life. Which qualities do they share? What makes them so alike? Do you like the characteristics of the two? Do they have any qualities you would like to emulate? Do you respect them? How do they differ? Explain.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)