|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Tengo to lose focus at school?
2. Why does Tengo end his relationship with his girlfriend?
3. Tengo's mood changes ___________________________.
4. How old is Frikkie in Chapter 10?
5. Joseph tells Tengo that he can make arrangements for him to finish his education ________________ through the ANC.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tengo act when Frikke comes to the farm for another school vacation?
2. What does Claire share with Tengo about an integrated community and what is Joseph's opinion of it?
3. How does Tengo get caught up in the protests at the school?
4. What does Tengo think about what the protesters believe the whites will never allow blacks to have?
5. Why does Joseph's offer to help Tengo continue his education bring such relief to Tengo?
6. What do the oubaas notice about Tengo's mood in Chapter 7?
7. What decision does Tengo struggle with after the school closes?
8. With whom does Tengo continue his studies after the schools reopen?
9. How much time has passed since the last chapter and what does Tengo no longer note about living in Johannesburg?
10. What does Tengo learn about Joseph and the organization with which he is associated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Sheila Gordon's writing style. How does she deliver information? How does she develop characters? What is the general tone of her work? What is the most appealing aspect of Gordon's writing for you? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
WAITING FOR THE RAIN is a classic example of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in the book What does it mean for some of the characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How are some of the families fractured? Give examples.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)