|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Tengo suspected about Joseph for some time?
2. What advice is Tengo given by the reverend?
3. How much time has passed since Tengo arrived at school?
4. What does a soldier force Tengo to do at the school gates?
5. Why is the person in #56 angry about Tengo's desire to go to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tengo think is the only thing that will change the lives of his family members?
2. How much time has passed since the last chapter and what does Tengo no longer note about living in Johannesburg?
3. What is the source of Tengo's angry moods?
4. Why is Tengo conflicted about his personal desires and the issues for the greater good?
5. How does Frikkie feel about the changes occurring in the world?
6. What does Claire share with Tengo about an integrated community and what is Joseph's opinion of it?
7. Why does Tengo have to ignore his mother's feelings before he departs for school?
8. How does Tengo act when Frikke comes to the farm for another school vacation?
9. What does Frikkie have to do after completing his education and what does he learn about Tengo's plans for schooling?
10. With whom does Tengo continue his studies after the schools reopen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hatred seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of hatred? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of man's inhumanity to man. Identify at least two characters in the book who either embody or experience man's inhumanity to man then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)