|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tengo give to Dr. and Mrs. Miller in appreciation for the books they had sent him?
2. What is unique about the choice Tengo has to make?
3. What is Claire's proposed occupation?
4. Who is afraid that the threat will ruin the farm?
5. Why is Tengo happy about the chance to continue his education?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Claire share with Tengo about an integrated community and what is Joseph's opinion of it?
2. Why do Dr. and Mrs. Miller encourage Tengo to study art in school?
3. Why is Tengo conflicted about his personal desires and the issues for the greater good?
4. How much time has passed since the last chapter and what does Tengo no longer note about living in Johannesburg?
5. What is the source of Tengo's angry moods?
6. What does Tengo think about what the protesters believe the whites will never allow blacks to have?
7. What does Frikkie have to do after completing his education and what does he learn about Tengo's plans for schooling?
8. What do the protesters think the students should do and how does Tengo feel about it?
9. Why does Tengo have to ignore his mother's feelings before he departs for school?
10. Why does Tengo end his relationship with Emma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sheila Gordon is a master at dramatic devices. Choose examples of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe the technique which each displays.
Essay Topic 2
Select an instance of symbolism from the book and explain its significance.
Essay Topic 3
Who are two of Gordon's characters in this book who appeal to you the most? What is it about these characters that you like? What are their weaknesses? How about redeeming qualities? Are Gordon's characters believable in your opinion? Explain.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)