|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is afraid that the threat will ruin the farm?
2. What does ANC stand for?
3. Why is the person in #56 angry about Tengo's desire to go to school?
4. Tengo's mood changes ___________________________.
5. Tengo is aware of his mother's ___________________ at his departure.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the oubaas notice about Tengo's mood in Chapter 7?
2. Who is Elijah and what groups does he invite Tengo to join?
3. How does Tengo get caught up in the protests at the school?
4. Why is Tengo's need to make a choice a sad and unfair situation?
5. How is Dr. Miller starkly different from the oubaas and his wife?
6. With whom does Tengo continue his studies after the schools reopen?
7. What does Tengo devote his time to when school starts again?
8. How does Frikkie feel about the changes occurring in the world?
9. How does Tengo feel, knowing that he has to make a choice between going to school and protesting for his people?
10. How much time has passed since the last chapter and what does Tengo no longer note about living in Johannesburg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hatred seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of hatred? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting for the stories in the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Gordon choose to use these places in the stories?
Essay Topic 3
WAITING FOR THE RAIN is a classic coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)