|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of community does Claire tell Tengo she has created?
2. What does Tengo think about the student protesters suggestion?
3. Why does Tengo study during his breaks?
4. Why is Tengo happy about the chance to continue his education?
5. What does Joseph think that blacks should do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Claire share with Tengo about an integrated community and what is Joseph's opinion of it?
2. Why do Dr. and Mrs. Miller encourage Tengo to study art in school?
3. What are Frikkie and Tengo doin in their lives now that they are seventeen-years-old?
4. How does Tengo act when Frikke comes to the farm for another school vacation?
5. Who is Elijah and what groups does he invite Tengo to join?
6. What do the protesters think the students should do and how does Tengo feel about it?
7. Why does Tengo end his relationship with Emma?
8. What does Tengo learn about Joseph and the organization with which he is associated?
9. What reason does the reverend give Tengo on the importance of him continuing his education?
10. How is Dr. Miller starkly different from the oubaas and his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WAITING FOR THE RAIN is a classic coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters from the book and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)