|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tengo end his relationship with his girlfriend?
2. With whom will Tengo live while attending school in Johannesburg?
3. What does Frikkie have difficulty in accepting when he realizes that Tengo is gone?
4. The reverend tells Tengo that a new black government will need ________________________ to survive.
5. What are the people Tengo finds at the school when he arrives doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tengo devote his time to when school starts again?
2. How does Frikkie adjust to the changes occurring in his world?
3. How much time has passed since the last chapter and what does Tengo no longer note about living in Johannesburg?
4. Why does Tengo spend his school breaks studying with the help of a local preacher?
5. What does Tengo learn about Joseph and the organization with which he is associated?
6. What does Frikkie have to do after completing his education and what does he learn about Tengo's plans for schooling?
7. Why do Dr. and Mrs. Miller encourage Tengo to study art in school?
8. What does Tengo encounter one day when he arrives at school?
9. Why does Tengo have to ignore his mother's feelings before he departs for school?
10. Why does Tengo end his relationship with Emma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Tengo. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Tengo?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in the book What does it mean for some of the characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How are some of the families fractured? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Frikkie. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Frikkie?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)