|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Frikkie comes for another vacation at the farm?
2. When schools reopen, they are closed again soon afterward because __________________________.
3. What causes Tengo to lose focus at school?
4. Tengo is aware of his mother's ___________________ at his departure.
5. Why is Tengo mad at Frikkie when he comes for a short vacation at the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frikkie symbolize the attitudes of the whites in South Africa during apartheid?
2. What causes Tengo to question whether he will be able to go to school abroad?
3. How does Tengo react when the soldiers open fire on the unarmed protesters?
4. What does Tengo learn about Emma when he visits her in Chapter 15?
5. Where does Tengo learn that the reverend is when he tries to return some books?
6. What does Tengo decide to do instead of pursue his education abroad?
7. How does Tengo subdue the soldier in the shed and what shock does he get when he recognizes him?
8. What does Tengo attempt to explain to Frikkie when they are trapped in a shed together?
9. What warning does Tengo give Frikkie when he lets him go and what decision does Tengo make about his future?
10. Where does Tengo hide when he is being chased by a soldier during the angry encounter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WAITING FOR THE RAIN is a classic coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting for the stories in the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Gordon choose to use these places in the stories?
Essay Topic 3
Sheila Gordon is a master at dramatic devices. Choose examples of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe the technique which each displays.
This section contains 1,530 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)