|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joseph think that blacks should do?
2. Life staying familiar is ____________________ for Frikkie.
3. Why was Tengo unable to write his matriculation exam?
4. What consumes most of Tengo's time at school?
5. Who is afraid that the threat will ruin the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tengo's need to make a choice a sad and unfair situation?
2. How does Frikkie feel about the changes occurring in the world?
3. Why does Tengo have to ignore his mother's feelings before he departs for school?
4. How does Tengo feel, knowing that he has to make a choice between going to school and protesting for his people?
5. What does Tengo encounter one day when he arrives at school?
6. What does Frikkie have to do after completing his education and what does he learn about Tengo's plans for schooling?
7. Why does Tengo end his relationship with Emma?
8. What does Tengo think is the only thing that will change the lives of his family members?
9. What does Tengo think about what the protesters believe the whites will never allow blacks to have?
10. What do the protesters think the students should do and how does Tengo feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oppression is an important theme in the stories. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in the book What does it mean for some of the characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How are some of the families fractured? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Sheila Gordon is a master at dramatic devices. Choose examples of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe the technique which each displays.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)