|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tengo think when Joseph is gone so often from home?
2. Why is Tengo mad at Frikkie when he comes for a short vacation at the farm?
3. Who is the oubaas' current boss-boy?
4. What do protesters throw at the soldier?
5. What does Tengo give to Dr. and Mrs. Miller in appreciation for the books they had sent him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tengo decide to do instead of pursue his education abroad?
2. What is Tengo able to vent about his family's life when he is closed in the shed with Frikkie?
3. How does Tengo react when the soldiers open fire on the unarmed protesters?
4. How does Tengo subdue the soldier in the shed and what shock does he get when he recognizes him?
5. Where does Tengo hide when he is being chased by a soldier during the angry encounter?
6. Where does Tengo learn that the reverend is when he tries to return some books?
7. What causes Tengo to question whether he will be able to go to school abroad?
8. What does Tengo learn about Emma when he visits her in Chapter 15?
9. What does Tengo attempt to explain to Frikkie when they are trapped in a shed together?
10. What warning does Tengo give Frikkie when he lets him go and what decision does Tengo make about his future?
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Dr. Miller. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Dr. Miller?
Essay Topic 2
Select an instance of symbolism from the book and explain its significance.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the stories in the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Gordon choose to use these places in the stories?
This section contains 1,547 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)