|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom will Tengo live while attending school in Johannesburg?
2. What occurs at the farm to threaten its survival?
3. What does Tengo spend his time doing when school starts again?
4. According to Tengo, some of his friends and family believe that the white man will never allow blacks to have ____________________________.
5. What advice is Tengo given by the reverend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much time has passed since the last chapter and what does Tengo no longer note about living in Johannesburg?
2. Who is Elijah and what groups does he invite Tengo to join?
3. How does Tengo get caught up in the protests at the school?
4. What are Frikkie and Tengo doin in their lives now that they are seventeen-years-old?
5. What does Claire share with Tengo about an integrated community and what is Joseph's opinion of it?
6. What do the protesters think the students should do and how does Tengo feel about it?
7. What decision does Tengo struggle with after the school closes?
8. What does Tengo think is the only thing that will change the lives of his family members?
9. Why do Dr. and Mrs. Miller encourage Tengo to study art in school?
10. What does Tengo suspect about Joseph who is rarely home these days?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Dr. Miller. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Dr. Miller?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Sheila Gordon's writing style. How does she deliver information? How does she develop characters? What is the general tone of her work? What is the most appealing aspect of Gordon's writing for you? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the stories in the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Gordon choose to use these places in the stories?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)