|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Frikkie in Chapter 10?
2. Who is angry when learning about Tengo's desire to go to school?
3. What does Tengo no longer notice in Johannesburg?
4. Who is the Millers' daughter?
5. Where does Frikkie go for a brief vacation after his military training?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tengo feel, knowing that he has to make a choice between going to school and protesting for his people?
2. With whom does Tengo continue his studies after the schools reopen?
3. What does Tengo encounter one day when he arrives at school?
4. What are Frikkie and Tengo doin in their lives now that they are seventeen-years-old?
5. Why is Tengo's need to make a choice a sad and unfair situation?
6. Why do Dr. and Mrs. Miller encourage Tengo to study art in school?
7. What does Claire share with Tengo about an integrated community and what is Joseph's opinion of it?
8. What do the oubaas notice about Tengo's mood in Chapter 7?
9. How is Dr. Miller starkly different from the oubaas and his wife?
10. What does Tengo devote his time to when school starts again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sheila Gordon is a master at dramatic devices. Choose examples of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe the technique which each displays.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters from the book and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)