|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Tengo hesitate when he arrives at school that day?
2. What is Claire's proposed occupation?
3. What is Tengo's first stop once he arrives in Johannesburg?
4. Tengo's mood changes ___________________________.
5. As Chapter 7 begins, Tengo is in a _________________ mood.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Tengo finally allowed to go to school and why does this make the oubaas angry?
2. How does Tengo feel, knowing that he has to make a choice between going to school and protesting for his people?
3. How does Frikkie adjust to the changes occurring in his world?
4. Why does Tengo spend his school breaks studying with the help of a local preacher?
5. What do the oubaas notice about Tengo's mood in Chapter 7?
6. What does Frikkie have to do after completing his education and what does he learn about Tengo's plans for schooling?
7. Why is Tengo's need to make a choice a sad and unfair situation?
8. What does Tengo encounter one day when he arrives at school?
9. How does Tengo get caught up in the protests at the school?
10. Why does Joseph's offer to help Tengo continue his education bring such relief to Tengo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Sheila Gordon's writing style. How does she deliver information? How does she develop characters? What is the general tone of her work? What is the most appealing aspect of Gordon's writing for you? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
WAITING FOR THE RAIN is a classic example of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Oppression is an important theme in the stories. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)