|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tengo's mood changes ___________________________.
2. With which girl from his class does Tengo study?
3. How old is Frikkie in Chapter 10?
4. How does Tengo feel about Joseph's offer?
5. What does ANC stand for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frikkie symbolize the attitudes of the whites in South Africa during apartheid?
2. How does Tengo subdue the soldier in the shed and what shock does he get when he recognizes him?
3. How does Tengo react when the soldiers open fire on the unarmed protesters?
4. What is Tengo able to vent about his family's life when he is closed in the shed with Frikkie?
5. What does Tengo decide to do instead of pursue his education abroad?
6. What prevents the mourners at the funeral from doing something they want to do?
7. What does Tengo attempt to explain to Frikkie when they are trapped in a shed together?
8. What warning does Tengo give Frikkie when he lets him go and what decision does Tengo make about his future?
9. What causes Tengo to question whether he will be able to go to school abroad?
10. What does Tengo learn about Emma when he visits her in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the stories. Explain the concept of foreshadowing and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in the book What does it mean for some of the characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How are some of the families fractured? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of man's inhumanity to man. Identify at least two characters in the book who either embody or experience man's inhumanity to man then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,544 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)