|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tengo, the black schools are designed to ____________________________.
2. What causes Tengo to lose focus at school?
3. What does Tengo give to Dr. and Mrs. Miller in appreciation for the books they had sent him?
4. With which girl does Tengo have his first romance?
5. Why does Tengo desperately want an education?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Elijah and what groups does he invite Tengo to join?
2. How does Frikkie adjust to the changes occurring in his world?
3. How does Tengo get caught up in the protests at the school?
4. Why is Tengo conflicted about his personal desires and the issues for the greater good?
5. Where is Tengo finally allowed to go to school and why does this make the oubaas angry?
6. What arises which makes Tengo lose focus on his studies?
7. What does Frikkie have to do after completing his education and what does he learn about Tengo's plans for schooling?
8. Why is Tengo's need to make a choice a sad and unfair situation?
9. How is Dr. Miller starkly different from the oubaas and his wife?
10. What does Tengo encounter one day when he arrives at school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WAITING FOR THE RAIN is a classic example of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Select an instance of symbolism from the book and explain its significance.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Tengo. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Tengo?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)