|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tengo dreams of going abroad to a place where ____________________________.
2. Why does Frikkie have to wait after his school years to return to the farm permanently?
3. Why is the person in #56 angry about Tengo's desire to go to school?
4. What does Tengo think about the student protesters suggestion?
5. What event has made Tengo acutely aware of the inequality between blacks and whites?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much time has passed since the last chapter and what does Tengo no longer note about living in Johannesburg?
2. What do the oubaas notice about Tengo's mood in Chapter 7?
3. Why does Tengo have to ignore his mother's feelings before he departs for school?
4. How does Tengo feel, knowing that he has to make a choice between going to school and protesting for his people?
5. How does Frikkie feel about the changes occurring in the world?
6. What does Frikkie have to do after completing his education and what does he learn about Tengo's plans for schooling?
7. Why does Joseph's offer to help Tengo continue his education bring such relief to Tengo?
8. How does Tengo act when Frikke comes to the farm for another school vacation?
9. Why is Tengo's need to make a choice a sad and unfair situation?
10. How does Frikkie adjust to the changes occurring in his world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting for the stories in the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Gordon choose to use these places in the stories?
Essay Topic 2
Hatred seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of hatred? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Tengo. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Tengo?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)