|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frikkie ask Tengo to get from his bedroom one day?
2. What is the upcoming celebration in Chapter 6?
3. What is Tengo's ethnicity?
4. What name does the girl call the man who cleans up the mess at the party?
5. What is Tengo doing when Frikkie finds him in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Tengo not defend his people to the oubaas regarding the story of the Great Trek?
2. Who is Tengo?
3. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
4. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
5. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
6. Who is Frikkie?
7. What is inside the large box that arrives for Tengo?
8. Why is Tengo not permitted to attend school and how does he feel about that?
9. What do Dr. and Mrs. Miller agree to give to Tengo for his education?
10. How does Frikkie behave when encountering Tengo's anger when a girl insults an elder at the birthday party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Frikkie. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Frikkie?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in the book What does it mean for some of the characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How are some of the families fractured? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Oom Koos. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Oom Koos?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)