|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Frikkie visit during his school break?
2. What does Tengo try to teach Frikkie?
3. The oubaas tells Frikkie and Tengo the story of _______________________.
4. After reading some books, how does Tengo begin to think about Oom Koos and Frikkie?
5. What is a kraal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Joseph?
2. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
3. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
4. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
5. How does Frikkie behave when encountering Tengo's anger when a girl insults an elder at the birthday party?
6. Who is Frikkie?
7. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
8. Why is Frikkie given so much respect on his uncle's farm?
9. Why can Tengo not defend his people to the oubaas regarding the story of the Great Trek?
10. What do Dr. and Mrs. Miller agree to give to Tengo for his education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Tengo. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Tengo?
Essay Topic 2
Sheila Gordon is a master at dramatic devices. Choose examples of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe the technique which each displays.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in the book What does it mean for some of the characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How are some of the families fractured? Give examples.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)