|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tengo's mother ask Joseph's mother to send?
2. Who is Tengo?
3. What is Tengo's ethnicity?
4. What is Tengo doing when Frikkie finds him in Chapter 2?
5. What does Tengo do when Frikkie and the oubaas have their tea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is inside the large box that arrives for Tengo?
2. Who is Frikkie?
3. What do Dr. and Mrs. Miller agree to give to Tengo for his education?
4. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
5. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
6. Why is Tengo not permitted to attend school and how does he feel about that?
7. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
8. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
9. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
10. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Frikkie. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Frikkie?
Essay Topic 2
WAITING FOR THE RAIN is a classic coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Sheila Gordon is a master at dramatic devices. Choose examples of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe the technique which each displays.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)