|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frikkie's cousin drop on the floor during the party?
2. Where does Frikkie visit during his school break?
3. What is in the box that arrives for Tengo?
4. How many boxes of books does Tengo receive from the Millers?
5. Where does Joseph live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frikkie behave when encountering Tengo's anger when a girl insults an elder at the birthday party?
2. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
3. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
4. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
5. What do Dr. and Mrs. Miller agree to give to Tengo for his education?
6. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
7. Who is Frikkie?
8. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
9. Why is Frikkie given so much respect on his uncle's farm?
10. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in South Africa in the late-20th century when the women in the book are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Frikkie. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Frikkie?
Essay Topic 3
Oppression is an important theme in the stories. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)