|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a kraal?
2. What is Tengo doing when Frikkie finds him in Chapter 2?
3. Where does Frikkie go when he reluctantly leaves the farm?
4. Where does Joseph live?
5. What do Tengo and Frikkie do at the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tengo feel, knowing that he has to make a choice between going to school and protesting for his people?
2. Why does Joseph's offer to help Tengo continue his education bring such relief to Tengo?
3. What does Tengo think is the only thing that will change the lives of his family members?
4. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
5. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
6. Who is Elijah and what groups does he invite Tengo to join?
7. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
8. What do the oubaas notice about Tengo's mood in Chapter 7?
9. Why is Tengo conflicted about his personal desires and the issues for the greater good?
10. What does Tengo suspect about Joseph who is rarely home these days?
Essay Topic 1
Select an instance of symbolism from the book and explain its significance.
Essay Topic 2
Hatred seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of hatred? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,420 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)