|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Tengo confused about Frikkie's attitude about not wanting to go back to school?
2. What is biltong?
3. How many boxes of books does Tengo receive from the Millers?
4. What happened to Tengo's older sister when she was away at school?
5. What animal has Tengo crafted out of clay?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
2. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
3. Why is Frikkie given so much respect on his uncle's farm?
4. Why is Tengo not permitted to attend school and how does he feel about that?
5. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
6. What do Dr. and Mrs. Miller agree to give to Tengo for his education?
7. Who is Frikkie?
8. What is inside the large box that arrives for Tengo?
9. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
10. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sheila Gordon is a master at dramatic devices. Choose examples of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe the technique which each displays.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in the book What does it mean for some of the characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How are some of the families fractured? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of man's inhumanity to man. Identify at least two characters in the book who either embody or experience man's inhumanity to man then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)