|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Oom Koos?
2. How old is Tengo?
3. What is biltong?
4. What is Tengo's attitude about his life right now?
5. What is Frikkie's real name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Dr. and Mrs. Miller agree to give to Tengo for his education?
2. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
3. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
4. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
5. Why is Tengo not permitted to attend school and how does he feel about that?
6. Who is Tengo?
7. How does Frikkie behave when encountering Tengo's anger when a girl insults an elder at the birthday party?
8. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
9. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
10. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Frikkie. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Frikkie?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Hatred seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of hatred? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)