|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age did Tengo and Frikkie become friends?
2. What does Tengo's mother ask Joseph's mother to send?
3. Where does Frikkie visit during his school break?
4. After reading some books, how does Tengo begin to think about Oom Koos and Frikkie?
5. Where did the author live as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
2. Why can Tengo not defend his people to the oubaas regarding the story of the Great Trek?
3. Who is Joseph?
4. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
5. What is inside the large box that arrives for Tengo?
6. Why is Tengo not permitted to attend school and how does he feel about that?
7. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
8. Who is Tengo?
9. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
10. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three characters from the book and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Tengo. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Tengo?
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the stories in the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Gordon choose to use these places in the stories?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)