|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal has Tengo crafted out of clay?
2. After reading some books, how does Tengo begin to think about Oom Koos and Frikkie?
3. Where does Joseph live?
4. Where does Frikkie visit during his school break?
5. Who is Timothy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Tengo not defend his people to the oubaas regarding the story of the Great Trek?
2. What is inside the large box that arrives for Tengo?
3. Who is Tengo?
4. Why is Tengo not permitted to attend school and how does he feel about that?
5. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
6. Who is Joseph?
7. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
8. What do Dr. and Mrs. Miller agree to give to Tengo for his education?
9. Who is Frikkie?
10. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Sheila Gordon's writing style. How does she deliver information? How does she develop characters? What is the general tone of her work? What is the most appealing aspect of Gordon's writing for you? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Who are two of Gordon's characters in this book who appeal to you the most? What is it about these characters that you like? What are their weaknesses? How about redeeming qualities? Are Gordon's characters believable in your opinion? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in South Africa in the late-20th century when the women in the book are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)