|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Frikkie treated with so much respect on the farm?
2. What does Tengo try to teach Frikkie?
3. What do Tengo and Frikkie do at the river?
4. What is Frikkie's real name?
5. What is Tengo doing when Frikkie finds him in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Joseph?
2. What is inside the large box that arrives for Tengo?
3. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
4. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
5. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
6. Why can Tengo not defend his people to the oubaas regarding the story of the Great Trek?
7. How does Frikkie behave when encountering Tengo's anger when a girl insults an elder at the birthday party?
8. What do Dr. and Mrs. Miller agree to give to Tengo for his education?
9. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
10. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three characters from the book and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Who are two of Gordon's characters in this book who appeal to you the most? What is it about these characters that you like? What are their weaknesses? How about redeeming qualities? Are Gordon's characters believable in your opinion? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast one of Gordon's characters to someone you know in your life. Which qualities do they share? What makes them so alike? Do you like the characteristics of the two? Do they have any qualities you would like to emulate? Do you respect them? How do they differ? Explain.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)