|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tengo do when Frikkie and the oubaas have their tea?
2. Tengo's ancestors declared war on which group of people?
3. Where does Frikkie go when he reluctantly leaves the farm?
4. Why are Tengo's parents reluctant to let him go to school?
5. What is Frikkie's ethnicity?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
2. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
3. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
4. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
5. Why is Tengo not permitted to attend school and how does he feel about that?
6. Why is Frikkie given so much respect on his uncle's farm?
7. Who is Frikkie?
8. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
9. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
10. Who is Tengo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Frikkie. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Frikkie?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Dr. Miller. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Dr. Miller?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)