|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frikkie give the girls to assure that they don't tell anyone about Tengo's outburst?
2. How many children has Tengo's mother lost?
3. What is Tengo's ethnicity?
4. After reading some books, how does Tengo begin to think about Oom Koos and Frikkie?
5. What animal has Tengo crafted out of clay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Tengo not defend his people to the oubaas regarding the story of the Great Trek?
2. What is inside the large box that arrives for Tengo?
3. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
4. Who is Tengo?
5. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
6. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
7. Who is Frikkie?
8. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
9. What do Dr. and Mrs. Miller agree to give to Tengo for his education?
10. How does Frikkie behave when encountering Tengo's anger when a girl insults an elder at the birthday party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three characters from the book and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Sheila Gordon is a master at dramatic devices. Choose examples of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe the technique which each displays.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)