|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Oom Koos?
2. What is Tengo doing when Frikkie finds him in Chapter 2?
3. What is Frikkie's real name?
4. Where does Joseph live?
5. What does Tengo's mother ask Joseph's mother to send?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
2. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
3. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
4. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
5. How does Frikkie behave when encountering Tengo's anger when a girl insults an elder at the birthday party?
6. Who is Joseph?
7. Why can Tengo not defend his people to the oubaas regarding the story of the Great Trek?
8. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
9. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
10. Who is Frikkie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Sheila Gordon's writing style. How does she deliver information? How does she develop characters? What is the general tone of her work? What is the most appealing aspect of Gordon's writing for you? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Choose three characters from the book and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the stories. Explain the concept of foreshadowing and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)