|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children has Tengo's mother lost?
2. What name does the girl call the man who cleans up the mess at the party?
3. What does the man in #22 often provide to his employees?
4. What is in the box that arrives for Tengo?
5. What animal has Tengo crafted out of clay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Tengo?
2. Why is Tengo not permitted to attend school and how does he feel about that?
3. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
4. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
5. Why is Frikkie given so much respect on his uncle's farm?
6. Who is Frikkie?
7. Why can Tengo not defend his people to the oubaas regarding the story of the Great Trek?
8. What do Dr. and Mrs. Miller agree to give to Tengo for his education?
9. What is inside the large box that arrives for Tengo?
10. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oppression is an important theme in the stories. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast one of Gordon's characters to someone you know in your life. Which qualities do they share? What makes them so alike? Do you like the characteristics of the two? Do they have any qualities you would like to emulate? Do you respect them? How do they differ? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Who are two of Gordon's characters in this book who appeal to you the most? What is it about these characters that you like? What are their weaknesses? How about redeeming qualities? Are Gordon's characters believable in your opinion? Explain.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)