|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tengo doing when Frikkie finds him in Chapter 2?
2. What happened to Tengo's older sister when she was away at school?
3. Where does Joseph live?
4. Why are Tengo's parents reluctant to let him go to school?
5. What does Tengo's mother ask Joseph's mother to send?
Short Essay Questions
1. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
2. Why is Frikkie given so much respect on his uncle's farm?
3. Who is Joseph?
4. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
5. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
6. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
7. Who is Frikkie?
8. What do Dr. and Mrs. Miller agree to give to Tengo for his education?
9. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
10. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Sheila Gordon's writing style. How does she deliver information? How does she develop characters? What is the general tone of her work? What is the most appealing aspect of Gordon's writing for you? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Dr. Miller. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Dr. Miller?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters from the book and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)