Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Tengo's parents reluctant to let him go to school?
2. Whom does Frikkie's cousin order to clean up the mess on the floor at the party?
3. Who is Timothy?
4. What does Frikkie give the girls to assure that they don't tell anyone about Tengo's outburst?
5. What is biltong?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tengo think is the only thing that will change the lives of his family members?
2. Why does Tengo end his relationship with Emma?
3. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
4. What does Tengo encounter one day when he arrives at school?
5. Why does Joseph's offer to help Tengo continue his education bring such relief to Tengo?
6. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
7. What is inside the large box that arrives for Tengo?
8. How much time has passed since the last chapter and what does Tengo no longer note about living in Johannesburg?
9. Who is Frikkie?
10. What does Claire share with Tengo about an integrated community and what is Joseph's opinion of it?
Explain the role of women in South Africa in the late-20th century when the women in the book are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Create a character study of Oom Koos. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Oom Koos?
Explain Sheila Gordon's writing style. How does she deliver information? How does she develop characters? What is the general tone of her work? What is the most appealing aspect of Gordon's writing for you? Explain.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)