|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the box that arrives for Tengo?
2. What happened to Tengo's older sister when she was away at school?
3. What do Tengo and Frikkie do at the river?
4. Why does Joseph visit the farm?
5. What is a kraal?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
2. How does Frikkie behave when encountering Tengo's anger when a girl insults an elder at the birthday party?
3. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
4. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
5. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
6. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
7. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
8. Who is Tengo?
9. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
10. Who is Joseph?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hatred seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of hatred? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Sheila Gordon's writing style. How does she deliver information? How does she develop characters? What is the general tone of her work? What is the most appealing aspect of Gordon's writing for you? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Frikkie. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Frikkie?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)