|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Oubaas and his wife think that Tengo's desire for education will lead to _____________.
2. What is the meaning of kleinbaas?
3. Who is Joseph's mother's employer?
4. What does the man in #22 often provide to his employees?
5. How old is Tengo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Dr. and Mrs. Miller agree to give to Tengo for his education?
2. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
3. What is inside the large box that arrives for Tengo?
4. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
5. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
6. How does Frikkie behave when encountering Tengo's anger when a girl insults an elder at the birthday party?
7. Who is Frikkie?
8. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
9. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
10. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting for the stories in the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Gordon choose to use these places in the stories?
Essay Topic 2
Hatred seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of hatred? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters from the book and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)