|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Tengo's parents reluctant to let him go to school?
2. Whom does Frikkie's cousin order to clean up the mess on the floor at the party?
3. Who is Timothy?
4. What does Frikkie give the girls to assure that they don't tell anyone about Tengo's outburst?
5. What is biltong?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tengo think is the only thing that will change the lives of his family members?
2. Why does Tengo end his relationship with Emma?
3. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
4. What does Tengo encounter one day when he arrives at school?
5. Why does Joseph's offer to help Tengo continue his education bring such relief to Tengo?
6. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
7. What is inside the large box that arrives for Tengo?
8. How much time has passed since the last chapter and what does Tengo no longer note about living in Johannesburg?
9. Who is Frikkie?
10. What does Claire share with Tengo about an integrated community and what is Joseph's opinion of it?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of man's inhumanity to man. Identify at least two characters in the book who either embody or experience man's inhumanity to man then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Select an instance of symbolism from the book and explain its significance.
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters from the book and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)