|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many boxes of books does Tengo receive from the Millers?
2. What is Frikkie's real name?
3. What is the upcoming celebration in Chapter 6?
4. What is a kraal?
5. Where did the author live as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
2. Why is Frikkie given so much respect on his uncle's farm?
3. What do Dr. and Mrs. Miller agree to give to Tengo for his education?
4. Why is Tengo not permitted to attend school and how does he feel about that?
5. What is inside the large box that arrives for Tengo?
6. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
7. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
8. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
9. How does Frikkie behave when encountering Tengo's anger when a girl insults an elder at the birthday party?
10. Who is Frikkie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select an instance of symbolism from the book and explain its significance.
Essay Topic 2
WAITING FOR THE RAIN is a classic example of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast one of Gordon's characters to someone you know in your life. Which qualities do they share? What makes them so alike? Do you like the characteristics of the two? Do they have any qualities you would like to emulate? Do you respect them? How do they differ? Explain.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)