|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Tengo confused about Frikkie's attitude about not wanting to go back to school?
2. Oubaas and his wife think that Tengo's desire for education will lead to _____________.
3. Where does Frikkie go when he reluctantly leaves the farm?
4. What does Tengo do when Frikkie and the oubaas have their tea?
5. What animal has Tengo crafted out of clay?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
2. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
3. Why is Frikkie given so much respect on his uncle's farm?
4. Who is Frikkie?
5. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
6. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
7. Why is Tengo not permitted to attend school and how does he feel about that?
8. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
9. Who is Joseph?
10. Why can Tengo not defend his people to the oubaas regarding the story of the Great Trek?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WAITING FOR THE RAIN is a classic coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Oom Koos. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Oom Koos?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Tengo. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Tengo?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)