|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tengo?
2. What does Frikkie ask Tengo to get from his bedroom one day?
3. What is biltong?
4. Tengo's ancestors declared war on which group of people?
5. What does Frikkie's cousin drop on the floor during the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Frikkie?
2. Why is Tengo not permitted to attend school and how does he feel about that?
3. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
4. What do Dr. and Mrs. Miller agree to give to Tengo for his education?
5. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
6. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
7. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
8. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
9. What is inside the large box that arrives for Tengo?
10. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are two of Gordon's characters in this book who appeal to you the most? What is it about these characters that you like? What are their weaknesses? How about redeeming qualities? Are Gordon's characters believable in your opinion? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of man's inhumanity to man. Identify at least two characters in the book who either embody or experience man's inhumanity to man then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Select an instance of symbolism from the book and explain its significance.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)