|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal has Tengo crafted out of clay?
2. What is Tengo's ethnicity?
3. What happened to Tengo's older sister when she was away at school?
4. What is Tengo's attitude about his life right now?
5. What does Tengo think about white men after reading some books?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
2. Who is Frikkie?
3. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
4. Why can Tengo not defend his people to the oubaas regarding the story of the Great Trek?
5. Why is Tengo not permitted to attend school and how does he feel about that?
6. How does Frikkie behave when encountering Tengo's anger when a girl insults an elder at the birthday party?
7. Who is Joseph?
8. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
9. Who is Tengo?
10. Why is Frikkie given so much respect on his uncle's farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three characters from the book and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in the book What does it mean for some of the characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How are some of the families fractured? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
WAITING FOR THE RAIN is a classic example of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)