|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the upcoming celebration in Chapter 6?
2. What does Tengo try to teach Frikkie?
3. Who is Tengo?
4. Where does Joseph live?
5. Why does Joseph visit the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
2. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
3. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
4. What do Dr. and Mrs. Miller agree to give to Tengo for his education?
5. Who is Tengo?
6. Who is Joseph?
7. Why is Frikkie given so much respect on his uncle's farm?
8. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
9. Why can Tengo not defend his people to the oubaas regarding the story of the Great Trek?
10. Why is Tengo not permitted to attend school and how does he feel about that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Oom Koos. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Oom Koos?
Essay Topic 2
Select an instance of symbolism from the book and explain its significance.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)