|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the oubaas' story, Tengo's ancestors are made out to be __________________.
2. What does Frikkie ask Tengo to get from his bedroom one day?
3. What is Frikkie's ethnicity?
4. Why is Frikkie treated with so much respect on the farm?
5. What animal has Tengo crafted out of clay?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
2. What is inside the large box that arrives for Tengo?
3. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
4. How does Frikkie behave when encountering Tengo's anger when a girl insults an elder at the birthday party?
5. Why can Tengo not defend his people to the oubaas regarding the story of the Great Trek?
6. Why is Frikkie given so much respect on his uncle's farm?
7. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
8. Who is Joseph?
9. Who is Tengo?
10. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Tengo. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Tengo?
Essay Topic 2
Choose three characters from the book and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Oom Koos. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Oom Koos?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)