|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is biltong?
2. Who is Joseph's mother's employer?
3. Who is Oom Koos?
4. What animal has Tengo crafted out of clay?
5. What is a kraal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
2. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
3. Why is Frikkie given so much respect on his uncle's farm?
4. What is inside the large box that arrives for Tengo?
5. Why is Tengo not permitted to attend school and how does he feel about that?
6. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
7. Who is Frikkie?
8. How does Frikkie behave when encountering Tengo's anger when a girl insults an elder at the birthday party?
9. Who is Tengo?
10. Why can Tengo not defend his people to the oubaas regarding the story of the Great Trek?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Dr. Miller. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Dr. Miller?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Frikkie. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Frikkie?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in the book What does it mean for some of the characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How are some of the families fractured? Give examples.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)