|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Frikkie want life to stay the same?
(a) He has learned it from his friends.
(b) He makes good money now.
(c) He has never known anything else.
(d) He likes feeling superior.
2. What advice is Tengo given by the reverend?
(a) Continue his education.
(b) Find a nice girl and get married.
(c) Attend church more often.
(d) Pray for help.
3. What does Joseph offer to Tengo?
(a) A good deal on a car.
(b) A free room.
(c) A tutor.
(d) A way to continue his education.
4. Why does Tengo study during his breaks?
(a) To pass his entrance exams.
(b) To catch up with other students his age.
(c) To avoid going home.
(d) To make new friends.
5. How does Tengo feel about the inequality between blacks and whites?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the greatest need of Tengo's family and friends?
2. What causes Tengo to lose focus at school?
3. Tengo is faced with making a choice that leaves him indecisive and __________________.
4. Joseph tells Tengo that one day blacks will take over the _____________________.
5. What is Claire's proposed occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tengo conflicted about his personal desires and the issues for the greater good?
2. What reason does the reverend give Tengo on the importance of him continuing his education?
3. How is Dr. Miller starkly different from the oubaas and his wife?
4. What does Tengo suspect about Joseph who is rarely home these days?
5. What does Claire share with Tengo about an integrated community and what is Joseph's opinion of it?
6. What does Tengo encounter one day when he arrives at school?
7. How much time has passed since the last chapter and what does Tengo no longer note about living in Johannesburg?
8. What does Tengo devote his time to when school starts again?
9. What do the protesters think the students should do and how does Tengo feel about it?
10. Where is Tengo finally allowed to go to school and why does this make the oubaas angry?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)