|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a reason Tengo considers continuing his education?
(a) He will do it for his country.
(b) He will do it abroad.
(c) He wants to get an education.
(d) He can date smart girls.
2. When does Frikkie return to the farm, heartbroken to find that Tengo has gone away to school?
(a) New Year's.
(b) Spring break.
(c) Summer holiday.
3. What does Tengo think when Joseph is gone so often from home?
(a) He is practicing soccer.
(b) He is studying at the library.
(c) He is involved with student protests.
(d) He is spending time with his girlfriend.
4. Why does Frikkie have to wait after his school years to return to the farm permanently?
(a) He wants to travel internationally.
(b) He is forced to serve two years in the army.
(c) He wants to teach for awhile.
(d) He needs a specialized degree.
5. What causes Tengo to lose focus at school?
(a) A new girlfriend.
(b) The student uprisings.
(c) Financial worries.
(d) A noisy neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nature of the student protests?
2. Why was Tengo unable to write his matriculation exam?
3. How old is Tengo's cousin when she becomes pregnant?
4. Tengo no longer has to choose between his people and _________________.
5. What event has made Tengo acutely aware of the inequality between blacks and whites?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Tengo learn that the reverend is when he tries to return some books?
2. How does Tengo subdue the soldier in the shed and what shock does he get when he recognizes him?
3. What is Tengo able to vent about his family's life when he is closed in the shed with Frikkie?
4. Where does Tengo hide when he is being chased by a soldier during the angry encounter?
5. What prevents the mourners at the funeral from doing something they want to do?
6. What does Tengo attempt to explain to Frikkie when they are trapped in a shed together?
7. How does Frikkie symbolize the attitudes of the whites in South Africa during apartheid?
8. What does Tengo decide to do instead of pursue his education abroad?
9. What does Tengo learn about Emma when he visits her in Chapter 15?
10. What warning does Tengo give Frikkie when he lets him go and what decision does Tengo make about his future?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)