|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tengo struggles with his need for an education and ________________________.
(a) The needs of his countrymen.
(b) His friendship with Frikkie.
(c) His love for his mother.
(d) His loyalty to his father.
2. Why does Frikkie want life to stay the same?
(a) He likes feeling superior.
(b) He has never known anything else.
(c) He has learned it from his friends.
(d) He makes good money now.
3. What makes Tengo hesitate when he arrives at school that day?
(a) He tries to decide which side he should choose.
(b) He wonders if people are in the building.
(c) He doesn't want to be on camera.
(d) He doesn't feel well and wants to return home.
4. Tengo must choose between his personal desire for an education and _____________________________.
(a) The desire to travel.
(b) His father's demands.
(c) His country's need for change.
(d) The need to support his family.
5. What type of community does Claire tell Tengo she has created?
(a) One solely for whites.
(b) One that integrates blacks and whites.
(c) One for all ethnicities.
(d) One solely for blacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tengo, the black schools are designed to ____________________________.
2. How many years does Frikkie have to wait after his school years until he can return to the farm permanently?
3. What does a soldier not allow Tengo to do?
4. What is the greatest need of Tengo's family and friends?
5. Why is Tengo happy about the chance to continue his education?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tengo think about what the protesters believe the whites will never allow blacks to have?
2. What decision does Tengo struggle with after the school closes?
3. How does Frikkie feel about the changes occurring in the world?
4. Why does Joseph's offer to help Tengo continue his education bring such relief to Tengo?
5. How does Tengo get caught up in the protests at the school?
6. What reason does the reverend give Tengo on the importance of him continuing his education?
7. How does Tengo act when Frikke comes to the farm for another school vacation?
8. What does Tengo devote his time to when school starts again?
9. What does Tengo think is the only thing that will change the lives of his family members?
10. Why is Tengo's need to make a choice a sad and unfair situation?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)