|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tengo's mother tells _______________ that Tengo is determined to go to school.
(a) Oom Koos.
(c) Mrs. Miller.
(d) The oubaas' wife.
2. With whom will Tengo live while attending school in Johannesburg?
(a) Dr. and Mrs. Miller.
(b) His aunt's family.
(c) His uncle.
(d) The oubaas' daughter.
3. What advice is Tengo given by the reverend?
(a) Find a nice girl and get married.
(b) Pray for help.
(c) Continue his education.
(d) Attend church more often.
4. Tengo knows that life will be better if blacks ______________________.
(a) Can achieve their goals.
(b) Could vote.
(c) Owned businesses.
(d) Stayed in their place.
5. Which of the following is NOT a reason Tengo considers continuing his education?
(a) He will do it abroad.
(b) He will do it for his country.
(c) He can date smart girls.
(d) He wants to get an education.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Tengo to the train on the day of his departure?
2. What event has made Tengo acutely aware of the inequality between blacks and whites?
3. Tengo struggles with his need for an education and ________________________.
4. What do protesters throw at the soldier?
5. Tengo dreams of going abroad to a place where ____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom does Tengo continue his studies after the schools reopen?
2. How does Tengo get caught up in the protests at the school?
3. How does Tengo feel, knowing that he has to make a choice between going to school and protesting for his people?
4. What does Claire share with Tengo about an integrated community and what is Joseph's opinion of it?
5. Why do Dr. and Mrs. Miller encourage Tengo to study art in school?
6. How does Tengo act when Frikke comes to the farm for another school vacation?
7. What does Tengo think about what the protesters believe the whites will never allow blacks to have?
8. How does Frikkie adjust to the changes occurring in his world?
9. How is Dr. Miller starkly different from the oubaas and his wife?
10. Why does Tengo spend his school breaks studying with the help of a local preacher?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)