|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tengo study during his breaks?
(a) To catch up with other students his age.
(b) To pass his entrance exams.
(c) To avoid going home.
(d) To make new friends.
2. Why is Tengo happy about the chance to continue his education?
(a) He will be able to stay in Johannesburg.
(b) He will get a travel gift from his family.
(c) It is all he has ever wanted.
(d) He will be able to run the farm.
3. How much time has passed since Tengo arrived at school?
(a) Six months.
(b) One year.
(c) Two years.
(d) Three years.
4. Tengo no longer has to choose between his people and _________________.
5. Tengo must choose between his personal desire for an education and _____________________________.
(a) His country's need for change.
(b) The need to support his family.
(c) The desire to travel.
(d) His father's demands.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tengo stops studying and feels __________________.
2. Where does Tengo want to go to school?
3. What does Tengo give to Dr. and Mrs. Miller in appreciation for the books they had sent him?
4. According to Tengo, some of his friends and family believe that the white man will never allow blacks to have ____________________________.
5. How many years does Tengo study before taking his first break?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tengo subdue the soldier in the shed and what shock does he get when he recognizes him?
2. What does Tengo learn about Emma when he visits her in Chapter 15?
3. How does Frikkie symbolize the attitudes of the whites in South Africa during apartheid?
4. Where does Tengo hide when he is being chased by a soldier during the angry encounter?
5. Where does Tengo learn that the reverend is when he tries to return some books?
6. What does Tengo decide to do instead of pursue his education abroad?
7. What causes Tengo to question whether he will be able to go to school abroad?
8. What does Tengo attempt to explain to Frikkie when they are trapped in a shed together?
9. What is Tengo able to vent about his family's life when he is closed in the shed with Frikkie?
10. What warning does Tengo give Frikkie when he lets him go and what decision does Tengo make about his future?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)