|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the impetus behind Tengo's continuing his education?
2. When schools reopen, they are closed again soon afterward because __________________________.
(a) It is monsoon season.
(b) More protests break out.
(c) There is an influenza epidemic.
(d) A cholera epidemic breaks out.
3. What causes Tengo to lose focus at school?
(a) Financial worries.
(b) A new girlfriend.
(c) The student uprisings.
(d) A noisy neighbor.
4. What advice is Tengo given by the reverend?
(a) Find a nice girl and get married.
(b) Pray for help.
(c) Continue his education.
(d) Attend church more often.
5. Why does Tengo's mother want him to return to the farm?
(a) To take over the farm.
(b) To tutor the young children.
(c) To visit.
(d) To help his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Frikkie return to the farm, heartbroken to find that Tengo has gone away to school?
2. What has Tengo suspected about Joseph for some time?
3. Joseph tells Tengo that he can make arrangements for him to finish his education ________________ through the ANC.
4. What becomes a concern for Tengo regarding the student uprisings?
5. What makes Tengo hesitate when he arrives at school that day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the oubaas notice about Tengo's mood in Chapter 7?
2. How much time has passed since the last chapter and what does Tengo no longer note about living in Johannesburg?
3. Who is Elijah and what groups does he invite Tengo to join?
4. What does Tengo learn about Joseph and the organization with which he is associated?
5. How is Dr. Miller starkly different from the oubaas and his wife?
6. What do the protesters think the students should do and how does Tengo feel about it?
7. What does Tengo think about what the protesters believe the whites will never allow blacks to have?
8. Why does Tengo end his relationship with Emma?
9. Why do Dr. and Mrs. Miller encourage Tengo to study art in school?
10. What does Tengo encounter one day when he arrives at school?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)