|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Frikkie return to the farm, heartbroken to find that Tengo has gone away to school?
(a) New Year's.
(b) Summer holiday.
(c) Spring break.
2. When schools reopen, they are closed again soon afterward because __________________________.
(a) A cholera epidemic breaks out.
(b) It is monsoon season.
(c) More protests break out.
(d) There is an influenza epidemic.
3. How does Tengo feel about Joseph's offer?
(a) He is excited.
(b) He is cautious.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is skeptical.
4. Who is angry when learning about Tengo's desire to go to school?
(a) Dr. Miller.
(c) Mrs. Miller.
(d) The oubaas.
5. Tengo knows that life will be better if blacks ______________________.
(a) Could vote.
(b) Stayed in their place.
(c) Owned businesses.
(d) Can achieve their goals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes a concern for Tengo regarding the student uprisings?
2. What type of community does Claire tell Tengo she has created?
3. Tengo also feels _______________ at the beginning of Chapter 7.
4. What does Joseph offer to Tengo?
5. What makes Tengo hesitate when he arrives at school that day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tengo react when the soldiers open fire on the unarmed protesters?
2. Where does Tengo hide when he is being chased by a soldier during the angry encounter?
3. What does Tengo attempt to explain to Frikkie when they are trapped in a shed together?
4. How does Tengo subdue the soldier in the shed and what shock does he get when he recognizes him?
5. How does Frikkie symbolize the attitudes of the whites in South Africa during apartheid?
6. What prevents the mourners at the funeral from doing something they want to do?
7. What warning does Tengo give Frikkie when he lets him go and what decision does Tengo make about his future?
8. What causes Tengo to question whether he will be able to go to school abroad?
9. What is Tengo able to vent about his family's life when he is closed in the shed with Frikkie?
10. What does Tengo decide to do instead of pursue his education abroad?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)