|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nature of the student protests?
(a) Black students protesting segregated classrooms.
(b) Black students protesting the government.
(c) Segregated dormitories at schools.
(d) College students protesting tuition hikes.
2. What is the name of the group Tengo is asked to join?
3. What does Joseph think that blacks should do?
(a) Marry white people.
(b) Get the best education possible.
(c) Maintain a low profile.
(d) Take back what was theirs all along.
4. According to Tengo, the black schools are designed to ____________________________.
(a) Create straight-A students.
(b) Teach equality among races.
(c) Instill confidence in black children.
(d) Teach blacks just enough to do menial jobs.
5. Why does Tengo end his relationship with his girlfriend?
(a) He is frightened when his cousin becomes pregnant.
(b) She was flirting with other guys.
(c) He wants to devote all his time to study.
(d) She wanted to get married right away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do protesters throw at the soldier?
2. Why does Tengo study during his breaks?
3. What type of group is Tengo asked to join in #129?
4. Why is Tengo mad at Frikkie when he comes for a short vacation at the farm?
5. What does Frikkie have difficulty in accepting when he realizes that Tengo is gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tengo encounter one day when he arrives at school?
2. Why is Tengo's need to make a choice a sad and unfair situation?
3. What does Claire share with Tengo about an integrated community and what is Joseph's opinion of it?
4. Where is Tengo finally allowed to go to school and why does this make the oubaas angry?
5. What does Tengo devote his time to when school starts again?
6. What arises which makes Tengo lose focus on his studies?
7. What are Frikkie and Tengo doin in their lives now that they are seventeen-years-old?
8. Why is Tengo conflicted about his personal desires and the issues for the greater good?
9. What do the oubaas notice about Tengo's mood in Chapter 7?
10. What decision does Tengo struggle with after the school closes?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)