|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the impetus behind Tengo's continuing his education?
2. According to Tengo, some of his friends and family believe that the white man will never allow blacks to have ____________________________.
(a) Voting rights.
(c) The kind of education they deserve.
3. Who is afraid that the threat will ruin the farm?
(a) Tengo's father.
(b) The oubaas.
4. What occurs at the farm to threaten its survival?
(a) Cholera outbreak.
(b) A drought.
(c) Grasshopper storms.
5. Tengo's mother tells _______________ that Tengo is determined to go to school.
(b) Oom Koos.
(c) The oubaas' wife.
(d) Mrs. Miller.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do protesters throw at the soldier?
2. What does Frikkie want during this time?
3. Frikkie learns that Tengo wants to study in ___________________.
4. Why does Tengo's mother want him to return to the farm?
5. How does Tengo feel about Joseph's offer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prevents the mourners at the funeral from doing something they want to do?
2. Where does Tengo hide when he is being chased by a soldier during the angry encounter?
3. How does Tengo react when the soldiers open fire on the unarmed protesters?
4. What causes Tengo to question whether he will be able to go to school abroad?
5. What warning does Tengo give Frikkie when he lets him go and what decision does Tengo make about his future?
6. Where does Tengo learn that the reverend is when he tries to return some books?
7. What does Tengo decide to do instead of pursue his education abroad?
8. How does Tengo subdue the soldier in the shed and what shock does he get when he recognizes him?
9. How does Frikkie symbolize the attitudes of the whites in South Africa during apartheid?
10. What does Tengo learn about Emma when he visits her in Chapter 15?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)