|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Tengo's parents reluctant to let him go to school?
(a) They don't have much money.
(b) They need his help at home.
(c) His sister died there.
(d) They don't want him to know more than they do.
2. Whom does Frikkie's cousin order to clean up the mess on the floor at the party?
3. Who is Timothy?
(a) Tengo's father.
(b) Frikkie's uncle.
(c) Tengo's brother.
(d) Frikkie's father.
4. What does Frikkie give the girls to assure that they don't tell anyone about Tengo's outburst?
(b) A prize marble.
(c) A book.
5. What is biltong?
(a) A cloak.
(b) A tree.
(c) Cured meat.
(d) A flower.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tengo think about white men after reading some books?
2. What is Frikkie's ethnicity?
3. What is Tengo doing when Frikkie finds him in Chapter 2?
4. Why does Joseph visit the farm?
5. Who is Joseph's mother's employer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tengo think is the only thing that will change the lives of his family members?
2. Why does Tengo end his relationship with Emma?
3. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
4. What does Tengo encounter one day when he arrives at school?
5. Why does Joseph's offer to help Tengo continue his education bring such relief to Tengo?
6. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
7. What is inside the large box that arrives for Tengo?
8. How much time has passed since the last chapter and what does Tengo no longer note about living in Johannesburg?
9. Who is Frikkie?
10. What does Claire share with Tengo about an integrated community and what is Joseph's opinion of it?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)