|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Oubaas and his wife think that Tengo's desire for education will lead to _____________.
(a) A respectable overseer.
(b) A writing career.
(c) A political position.
2. What is the meaning of kleinbaas?
(b) Long journey.
(c) Young master.
(d) Master baker.
3. The oubaas tells Frikkie and Tengo the story of _______________________.
(a) The Antelope Walk.
(b) The Great Trek.
(c) The Cicada Storm.
(d) The Ship of Tears.
4. Where does Joseph live?
5. What is the upcoming celebration in Chapter 6?
(a) National Patriot Day.
(c) New Year's Day.
(d) The oubaas' birthday.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tengo try to teach Frikkie?
2. What happened to Tengo's older sister when she was away at school?
3. What does the man in #22 often provide to his employees?
4. What is Tengo doing when Frikkie finds him in Chapter 2?
5. What is Tengo's ethnicity?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frikkie behave when encountering Tengo's anger when a girl insults an elder at the birthday party?
2. Why is Tengo not permitted to attend school and how does he feel about that?
3. Who is Tengo?
4. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
5. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
6. Why can Tengo not defend his people to the oubaas regarding the story of the Great Trek?
7. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
8. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
9. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
10. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)