|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Timothy?
(a) Frikkie's uncle.
(b) Tengo's father.
(c) Tengo's brother.
(d) Frikkie's father.
2. Why is Tengo confused about Frikkie's attitude about not wanting to go back to school?
(a) He cannot attend school.
(b) Tengo really likes going to school.
(c) You can take field trips.
(d) You can make many friends there.
3. Where is Tengo when Frikkie tries to find him to say goodbye?
(a) A neighboring farm.
(b) In bed with a fever.
(c) The next village.
(d) The library.
4. What does Tengo do when Frikkie and the oubaas have their tea?
(a) Butcher chickens.
(b) Sweep the house.
(c) Wash dishes.
(d) Shoo away flies.
5. What does Frikkie ask Tengo to get from his bedroom one day?
(a) His dominos.
(b) His hat.
(c) His marbles.
(d) His knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of kleinbaas?
2. What is biltong?
3. Where does Joseph live?
4. What name does the girl call the man who cleans up the mess at the party?
5. Why are Tengo's parents reluctant to let him go to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
2. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
3. Who is Joseph?
4. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
5. Who is Frikkie?
6. Who is Tengo?
7. Why can Tengo not defend his people to the oubaas regarding the story of the Great Trek?
8. What do Dr. and Mrs. Miller agree to give to Tengo for his education?
9. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
10. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)