|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Tengo when Frikkie tries to find him to say goodbye?
(a) In bed with a fever.
(b) The library.
(c) A neighboring farm.
(d) The next village.
2. Where does Frikkie visit during his school break?
(a) A theme park.
(b) His uncle's farm.
(c) The beach.
(d) A museum.
3. Where does Frikkie go when he reluctantly leaves the farm?
(a) Back to school.
(b) To his uncle's factory.
(c) On a family holiday.
(d) To his godfather's house.
4. Where did the author live as a child?
(b) South Africa.
(d) South America.
5. Why does Joseph visit the farm?
(a) He is in training to run a farm.
(b) He is on a holiday from school.
(c) He has been ill and needs fresh air.
(d) He needs to get away from bad friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Tengo's older sister when she was away at school?
2. What is biltong?
3. What is the meaning of kleinbaas?
4. Why is Tengo confused about Frikkie's attitude about not wanting to go back to school?
5. How old is Tengo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
2. Who is Tengo?
3. Why can Tengo not defend his people to the oubaas regarding the story of the Great Trek?
4. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
5. What do Dr. and Mrs. Miller agree to give to Tengo for his education?
6. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
7. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
8. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
9. Why is Tengo not permitted to attend school and how does he feel about that?
10. Why is Frikkie given so much respect on his uncle's farm?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)