|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Frikkie go when he reluctantly leaves the farm?
(a) To his godfather's house.
(b) To his uncle's factory.
(c) On a family holiday.
(d) Back to school.
2. What does Tengo's mother ask Joseph's mother to send?
(b) Cotton fabrics.
(c) Books for Tengo.
3. What animal has Tengo crafted out of clay?
(a) A horse.
(b) A cat.
(c) A dog.
(d) A bull.
4. What is biltong?
(a) A tree.
(b) Cured meat.
(c) A cloak.
(d) A flower.
5. How many children has Tengo's mother lost?
Short Answer Questions
1. After reading some books, how does Tengo begin to think about Oom Koos and Frikkie?
2. What is Frikkie's ethnicity?
3. Who is Timothy?
4. At first, Frikkie's _________________ sister can read faster than Tengo can.
5. Whom does Frikkie's cousin order to clean up the mess on the floor at the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tengo not permitted to attend school and how does he feel about that?
2. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
3. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
4. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
5. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
6. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
7. How does Frikkie behave when encountering Tengo's anger when a girl insults an elder at the birthday party?
8. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
9. Why can Tengo not defend his people to the oubaas regarding the story of the Great Trek?
10. What do Dr. and Mrs. Miller agree to give to Tengo for his education?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)