|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frikkie give the girls to assure that they don't tell anyone about Tengo's outburst?
(a) A book.
(c) A prize marble.
2. Who is Joseph's mother's employer?
(a) Mr. Matthew Esquire.
(b) Squire Harold Pinkington.
(c) Dr. David Miller.
(d) Mrs. Hermione Griswald.
3. What happened to Tengo's older sister when she was away at school?
(a) She became ill and died.
(b) She was robbed.
(c) She got pregnant.
(d) She was attacked on the street.
4. What do Tengo and Frikkie do at the river?
(a) Skip rocks.
(d) Build a raft.
5. After reading some books, how does Tengo begin to think about Oom Koos and Frikkie?
(a) He loves them.
(b) He hates them.
(c) He resents them.
(d) He respects them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tengo doing when Frikkie finds him in Chapter 2?
2. What is the meaning of kleinbaas?
3. Who is Timothy?
4. Why is Tengo confused about Frikkie's attitude about not wanting to go back to school?
5. What does Tengo think about white men after reading some books?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
2. Why is Frikkie given so much respect on his uncle's farm?
3. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
4. Who is Tengo?
5. Why is Tengo not permitted to attend school and how does he feel about that?
6. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
7. Why can Tengo not defend his people to the oubaas regarding the story of the Great Trek?
8. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
9. How does Frikkie behave when encountering Tengo's anger when a girl insults an elder at the birthday party?
10. What is inside the large box that arrives for Tengo?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)