|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frikkie's cousin drop on the floor during the party?
(a) A tray of hors 'doeuvre.
(b) A champagne glass.
(c) A piece of cake.
(d) A cup of punch.
2. Why does Joseph visit the farm?
(a) He needs to get away from bad friends.
(b) He is on a holiday from school.
(c) He has been ill and needs fresh air.
(d) He is in training to run a farm.
3. What is Frikkie's ethnicity?
4. Why is Tengo confused about Frikkie's attitude about not wanting to go back to school?
(a) He cannot attend school.
(b) You can make many friends there.
(c) Tengo really likes going to school.
(d) You can take field trips.
5. Where did the author live as a child?
(b) South America.
(c) South Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tengo's attitude about his life right now?
2. Why are Tengo's parents reluctant to let him go to school?
3. In the oubaas' story, Tengo's ancestors are made out to be __________________.
4. How old is Tengo?
5. Where does Frikkie go when he reluctantly leaves the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tengo not permitted to attend school and how does he feel about that?
2. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
3. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
4. In what story does Tengo see that the white man has twisted history to suit his own needs?
5. What do Dr. and Mrs. Miller agree to give to Tengo for his education?
6. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
7. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
8. How does Frikkie behave when encountering Tengo's anger when a girl insults an elder at the birthday party?
9. Why is Frikkie given so much respect on his uncle's farm?
10. What is inside the large box that arrives for Tengo?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)