|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Tengo?
(a) The son of the farm's boss-boy.
(b) A chauffeur.
(c) A chef.
(d) A farmer.
2. After reading some books, how does Tengo begin to think about Oom Koos and Frikkie?
(a) He resents them.
(b) He hates them.
(c) He loves them.
(d) He respects them.
3. What is Frikkie's real name?
4. What does Tengo think about white men after reading some books?
(a) They are more inventive than other people.
(b) They have twisted history to suit their needs.
(c) They are not very good writers.
(d) They make good authority figures.
5. What is the upcoming celebration in Chapter 6?
(a) The oubaas' birthday.
(b) New Year's Day.
(d) National Patriot Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Tengo's parents reluctant to let him go to school?
2. Where does Joseph live?
3. What does Frikkie give the girls to assure that they don't tell anyone about Tengo's outburst?
4. What is a kraal?
5. What is in the box that arrives for Tengo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
2. Who is Frikkie?
3. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
4. Why is Frikkie given so much respect on his uncle's farm?
5. How does Frikkie behave when encountering Tengo's anger when a girl insults an elder at the birthday party?
6. How do the oubaas twist the story of the Great Trek told to Frikkie and Tengo?
7. What do Dr. and Mrs. Miller agree to give to Tengo for his education?
8. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
9. What is inside the large box that arrives for Tengo?
10. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)