|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a kraal?
(a) A plant.
(b) A pastry.
(c) A bird.
(d) A stockade.
2. Where is Tengo when Frikkie tries to find him to say goodbye?
(a) The library.
(b) A neighboring farm.
(c) In bed with a fever.
(d) The next village.
3. Why does Joseph visit the farm?
(a) He needs to get away from bad friends.
(b) He has been ill and needs fresh air.
(c) He is on a holiday from school.
(d) He is in training to run a farm.
4. Where does Frikkie visit during his school break?
(a) The beach.
(b) His uncle's farm.
(c) A museum.
(d) A theme park.
5. The oubaas tells Frikkie and Tengo the story of _______________________.
(a) The Antelope Walk.
(b) The Great Trek.
(c) The Cicada Storm.
(d) The Ship of Tears.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Tengo?
2. Why is Frikkie treated with so much respect on the farm?
3. Why is Tengo confused about Frikkie's attitude about not wanting to go back to school?
4. Tengo's ancestors declared war on which group of people?
5. Who is Joseph's mother's employer?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom does Tengo continue his studies after the schools reopen?
2. Why is Tengo's need to make a choice a sad and unfair situation?
3. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
4. Who is Joseph?
5. What is the source of Tengo's angry moods?
6. Why does Tengo have to ignore his mother's feelings before he departs for school?
7. What reason does the reverend give Tengo on the importance of him continuing his education?
8. How does Tengo feel, knowing that he has to make a choice between going to school and protesting for his people?
9. Why does Tengo spend his school breaks studying with the help of a local preacher?
10. How does Tengo act when Frikke comes to the farm for another school vacation?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)