|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tengo's ancestors declared war on which group of people?
(a) The Boers.
(b) The Durhams.
(c) The Masai.
(d) The Kidus.
2. What do Tengo and Frikkie do at the river?
(b) Skip rocks.
(c) Build a raft.
3. Oubaas and his wife think that Tengo's desire for education will lead to _____________.
(b) A writing career.
(c) A political position.
(d) A respectable overseer.
4. What animal has Tengo crafted out of clay?
(a) A horse.
(b) A dog.
(c) A bull.
(d) A cat.
5. What is a kraal?
(a) A stockade.
(b) A plant.
(c) A bird.
(d) A pastry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sissie?
2. Who is Timothy?
3. What is Tengo's attitude about his life right now?
4. What happened to Tengo's older sister when she was away at school?
5. In the oubaas' story, Tengo's ancestors are made out to be __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Tengo?
2. What is inside the large box that arrives for Tengo?
3. Why can Tengo not defend his people to the oubaas regarding the story of the Great Trek?
4. How does Frikkie behave when encountering Tengo's anger when a girl insults an elder at the birthday party?
5. Why is Frikkie given so much respect on his uncle's farm?
6. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
7. Why is Tengo not permitted to attend school and how does he feel about that?
8. Who is Frikkie?
9. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
10. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)