|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tengo think about white men after reading some books?
(a) They have twisted history to suit their needs.
(b) They are not very good writers.
(c) They make good authority figures.
(d) They are more inventive than other people.
2. How many boxes of books does Tengo receive from the Millers?
3. What do Tengo and Frikkie do at the river?
(a) Build a raft.
(c) Skip rocks.
4. What does Tengo do when Frikkie and the oubaas have their tea?
(a) Shoo away flies.
(b) Sweep the house.
(c) Butcher chickens.
(d) Wash dishes.
5. Who is Timothy?
(a) Tengo's father.
(b) Tengo's brother.
(c) Frikkie's father.
(d) Frikkie's uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Tengo's parents reluctant to let him go to school?
2. What is biltong?
3. What does Tengo's mother ask Joseph's mother to send?
4. The oubaas tells Frikkie and Tengo the story of _______________________.
5. What does Tengo try to teach Frikkie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tengo not permitted to attend school and how does he feel about that?
2. What are some of the things that Tengo learns about city life for black people from Joseph?
3. How are the differences between blacks and whites exhibited in the characters of Frikkie and Tengo?
4. What is inside the large box that arrives for Tengo?
5. Who is Frikkie?
6. How easily does Tengo pick up the skill of reading?
7. How does Tengo feel as he learns more and more about how his ancestors were treated?
8. Why can Tengo not defend his people to the oubaas regarding the story of the Great Trek?
9. What do Dr. and Mrs. Miller agree to give to Tengo for his education?
10. Why is it frustrating for Tengo to read the textbooks given to him by his aunt's employer?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)