|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event has made Tengo acutely aware of the inequality between blacks and whites?
(a) He has different books than the white boys have.
(b) The kitchen confrontation with Frikkie's cousin.
(c) He is not allowed in some restaurants.
(d) He is not paid for the work he does.
2. What makes Tengo hesitate when he arrives at school that day?
(a) He tries to decide which side he should choose.
(b) He doesn't want to be on camera.
(c) He wonders if people are in the building.
(d) He doesn't feel well and wants to return home.
3. Life staying familiar is ____________________ for Frikkie.
4. With whom will Tengo live while attending school in Johannesburg?
(a) The oubaas' daughter.
(b) Dr. and Mrs. Miller.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His aunt's family.
5. Why does Frikkie have to wait after his school years to return to the farm permanently?
(a) He is forced to serve two years in the army.
(b) He needs a specialized degree.
(c) He wants to teach for awhile.
(d) He wants to travel internationally.
6. What causes Tengo to lose focus at school?
(a) The student uprisings.
(b) A noisy neighbor.
(c) A new girlfriend.
(d) Financial worries.
7. Why does Tengo desperately want an education?
(a) It is the only way he can change his life.
(b) It is the foundation for a political career.
(c) He wants a good salary.
(d) He would like the prestige.
8. Tengo no longer has to choose between his people and _________________.
9. How many years does Tengo study before taking his first break?
10. Frikkie learns that Tengo wants to study in ___________________.
11. Which of the following is NOT a reason Tengo considers continuing his education?
(a) He will do it for his country.
(b) He wants to get an education.
(c) He will do it abroad.
(d) He can date smart girls.
12. What has Tengo suspected about Joseph for some time?
(a) He is working against the government.
(b) He has a girlfriend.
(c) He has a second job.
(d) He is cutting classes.
13. What does a soldier force Tengo to do at the school gates?
(a) Get inside the school gates.
(b) Return home.
(c) Put on a gas mask.
(d) Hand over his backpack.
14. How old is Tengo in Chapter 10?
15. What occurs at the farm to threaten its survival?
(a) A drought.
(c) Grasshopper storms.
(d) Cholera outbreak.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tengo dreams of going abroad to a place where ____________________________.
2. Tengo struggles with his need for an education and ________________________.
3. What becomes a concern for Tengo regarding the student uprisings?
4. Why was Tengo unable to write his matriculation exam?
5. What is the nature of the student protests?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)