|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Millers encourage Tengo to study in school?
2. Why does Tengo desperately want an education?
(a) He would like the prestige.
(b) He wants a good salary.
(c) It is the foundation for a political career.
(d) It is the only way he can change his life.
3. What is the nature of the student protests?
(a) College students protesting tuition hikes.
(b) Segregated dormitories at schools.
(c) Black students protesting segregated classrooms.
(d) Black students protesting the government.
4. How does Tengo feel about the inequality between blacks and whites?
5. Why does Tengo end his relationship with his girlfriend?
(a) She wanted to get married right away.
(b) He wants to devote all his time to study.
(c) He is frightened when his cousin becomes pregnant.
(d) She was flirting with other guys.
6. Frikkie learns that Tengo wants to study in ___________________.
7. What does Tengo think about the student protesters suggestion?
(a) He is against it.
(b) He agrees with some of it.
(c) He fully supports it.
(d) He wants to get some other opinions.
8. What job does Tengo do for the Millers?
9. What event has made Tengo acutely aware of the inequality between blacks and whites?
(a) He has different books than the white boys have.
(b) The kitchen confrontation with Frikkie's cousin.
(c) He is not paid for the work he does.
(d) He is not allowed in some restaurants.
10. What does Frikkie want during this time?
(a) An extended holiday.
(b) A better-paying job.
(c) For things to remain the same.
(d) A girlfriend.
11. As Chapter 7 begins, Tengo is in a _________________ mood.
12. What does Joseph offer to Tengo?
(a) A good deal on a car.
(b) A tutor.
(c) A free room.
(d) A way to continue his education.
13. Tengo dreams of going abroad to a place where ____________________________.
(a) A black man can be President.
(b) He is not treated as less than human.
(c) It is warm all year long.
(d) There are many beaches.
14. What makes Tengo hesitate when he arrives at school that day?
(a) He tries to decide which side he should choose.
(b) He doesn't feel well and wants to return home.
(c) He doesn't want to be on camera.
(d) He wonders if people are in the building.
15. Who takes Tengo to the train on the day of his departure?
(a) Frikkie's father.
(b) His mother.
(c) The oubaas.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joseph think that blacks should do?
2. How does Tengo leave the schoolyard?
3. Tengo also feels _______________ at the beginning of Chapter 7.
4. The reverend tells Tengo that a new black government will need ________________________ to survive.
5. What does Tengo give to Dr. and Mrs. Miller in appreciation for the books they had sent him?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)