|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Frikkie return to the farm, heartbroken to find that Tengo has gone away to school?
(b) Summer holiday.
(c) New Year's.
(d) Spring break.
2. How does Tengo feel about the inequality between blacks and whites?
3. Which of the following is NOT a reason Tengo considers continuing his education?
(a) He wants to get an education.
(b) He will do it for his country.
(c) He can date smart girls.
(d) He will do it abroad.
4. What is the name of the group Tengo is asked to join?
5. What do many of the student protesters suggest for the students?
(a) They should not be out on the streets after dark.
(b) They should picket the school buildings.
(c) They should write letters to the government.
(d) They leave school until they can be given a better education.
6. How does Tengo leave the schoolyard?
(a) He climbs the fence.
(b) He doesn't leave.
(c) He has a military escort.
(d) He escapes.
7. What causes Tengo to lose focus at school?
(a) The student uprisings.
(b) Financial worries.
(c) A new girlfriend.
(d) A noisy neighbor.
8. Life staying familiar is ____________________ for Frikkie.
9. Joseph tells Tengo that one day blacks will take over the _____________________.
(b) Homes where the whites live.
(c) Country's education system.
(d) City government.
10. Who is angry when learning about Tengo's desire to go to school?
(b) The oubaas.
(c) Mrs. Miller.
(d) Dr. Miller.
11. Why does Tengo desperately want an education?
(a) It is the foundation for a political career.
(b) It is the only way he can change his life.
(c) He wants a good salary.
(d) He would like the prestige.
12. Who is the head of the organization Tengo is asked to join?
(a) Nelson Marzetti.
(b) Nelson Mandela.
(c) Nelson Manson.
(d) Nelson Mankowitz.
13. When schools reopen, they are closed again soon afterward because __________________________.
(a) More protests break out.
(b) It is monsoon season.
(c) A cholera epidemic breaks out.
(d) There is an influenza epidemic.
14. What does Tengo now know about Joseph?
(a) He is engaged to be married.
(b) He is working against the government.
(c) He is gay.
(d) He has committed a crime.
15. What happens when Frikkie comes for another vacation at the farm?
(a) Tengo is reluctant to play with him.
(b) He and Tengo go hunting.
(c) He and Tengo read books.
(d) Tengo teaches him to milk a cow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the person in #56 angry about Tengo's desire to go to school?
2. What consumes most of Tengo's time at school?
3. What occurs at the farm to threaten its survival?
4. Why does Frikkie have to wait after his school years to return to the farm permanently?
5. With whom will Tengo live while attending school in Johannesburg?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)