|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tengo has waited for the moment to ________________________.
(a) Kiss a girl.
(b) Travel the country.
(c) Write his thesis.
(d) Join the protest groups.
2. Who does Tengo spend time during breaks to study?
(a) A local preacher.
(c) Dr. Miller.
(d) A paid tutor.
3. According to Tengo, some of his friends and family believe that the white man will never allow blacks to have ____________________________.
(c) Voting rights.
(d) The kind of education they deserve.
4. What consumes most of Tengo's time at school?
5. What is Claire's proposed occupation?
6. What does Joseph think that blacks should do?
(a) Get the best education possible.
(b) Take back what was theirs all along.
(c) Maintain a low profile.
(d) Marry white people.
7. When does Frikkie return to the farm, heartbroken to find that Tengo has gone away to school?
(a) Spring break.
(b) New Year's.
(c) Summer holiday.
8. What does Frikkie want during this time?
(a) For things to remain the same.
(b) An extended holiday.
(c) A better-paying job.
(d) A girlfriend.
9. What makes Tengo hesitate when he arrives at school that day?
(a) He doesn't want to be on camera.
(b) He tries to decide which side he should choose.
(c) He wonders if people are in the building.
(d) He doesn't feel well and wants to return home.
10. What has Tengo suspected about Joseph for some time?
(a) He is working against the government.
(b) He has a girlfriend.
(c) He has a second job.
(d) He is cutting classes.
11. With which girl does Tengo have his first romance?
12. Who is angry when learning about Tengo's desire to go to school?
(a) Dr. Miller.
(b) Mrs. Miller.
(d) The oubaas.
13. With whom will Tengo live while attending school in Johannesburg?
(a) His aunt's family.
(b) Dr. and Mrs. Miller.
(c) His uncle.
(d) The oubaas' daughter.
14. What does a soldier force Tengo to do at the school gates?
(a) Put on a gas mask.
(b) Get inside the school gates.
(c) Hand over his backpack.
(d) Return home.
15. Who is the impetus behind Tengo's continuing his education?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frikkie have to wait after his school years to return to the farm permanently?
2. Joseph tells Tengo that one day blacks will take over the _____________________.
3. Why is the person in #56 angry about Tengo's desire to go to school?
4. What becomes a concern for Tengo regarding the student uprisings?
5. One day, Tengo arrives at school to find ______________________.
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)