|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Tengo do for the Millers?
2. Who is the Millers' daughter?
3. Tengo stops studying and feels __________________.
4. Which of the following is NOT a reason Tengo considers continuing his education?
(a) He wants to get an education.
(b) He will do it for his country.
(c) He can date smart girls.
(d) He will do it abroad.
5. What is the name of the group Tengo is asked to join?
6. What event has made Tengo acutely aware of the inequality between blacks and whites?
(a) He is not allowed in some restaurants.
(b) He has different books than the white boys have.
(c) He is not paid for the work he does.
(d) The kitchen confrontation with Frikkie's cousin.
7. The reverend tells Tengo that a new black government will need ________________________ to survive.
(a) Educated people.
(b) Public relations.
(d) Financial backing.
8. Why does Tengo desperately want an education?
(a) It is the foundation for a political career.
(b) He wants a good salary.
(c) It is the only way he can change his life.
(d) He would like the prestige.
9. What does a soldier not allow Tengo to do?
(a) Talk to his teacher.
(b) Enter the school building.
(c) Leave the schoolyard.
(d) Stand with his friends.
10. What is unique about the choice Tengo has to make?
(a) Frikkie would never have to make it.
(b) Tengo must make the choice for his family.
(c) Tengo is leading the initiative.
(d) Tengo is too young to make the choice.
11. Who does Tengo spend time during breaks to study?
(a) Dr. Miller.
(b) A paid tutor.
(d) A local preacher.
12. Where does Tengo want to go to school?
(c) Port St. Johns.
13. Tengo no longer has to choose between his people and _________________.
14. What does Joseph offer to Tengo?
(a) A free room.
(b) A tutor.
(c) A way to continue his education.
(d) A good deal on a car.
15. What exam does Frikkie complete?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do protesters throw at the soldier?
2. What are the people Tengo finds at the school when he arrives doing?
3. What consumes most of Tengo's time at school?
4. Who takes Tengo to the train on the day of his departure?
5. What causes Tengo to lose focus at school?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)