|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event has made Tengo acutely aware of the inequality between blacks and whites?
(a) The kitchen confrontation with Frikkie's cousin.
(b) He is not allowed in some restaurants.
(c) He has different books than the white boys have.
(d) He is not paid for the work he does.
2. What happens when Frikkie comes for another vacation at the farm?
(a) He and Tengo read books.
(b) Tengo teaches him to milk a cow.
(c) He and Tengo go hunting.
(d) Tengo is reluctant to play with him.
3. Life staying familiar is ____________________ for Frikkie.
4. Why does Frikkie want life to stay the same?
(a) He has never known anything else.
(b) He has learned it from his friends.
(c) He makes good money now.
(d) He likes feeling superior.
5. What is Tengo's first stop once he arrives in Johannesburg?
(a) The school.
(b) Dr. Miller's house.
(c) A cafe.
(d) His dormitory.
6. What does ANC stand for?
(a) Artists Never Compromise.
(b) African Nationalists Convention.
(c) African National Congress.
(d) African Naval Commission.
7. How much time has passed since Tengo arrived at school?
(a) One year.
(b) Three years.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two years.
8. What does a soldier not allow Tengo to do?
(a) Leave the schoolyard.
(b) Talk to his teacher.
(c) Enter the school building.
(d) Stand with his friends.
9. Who does Tengo spend time during breaks to study?
(a) A paid tutor.
(c) A local preacher.
(d) Dr. Miller.
10. Who takes Tengo to the train on the day of his departure?
(a) His mother.
(b) Frikkie's father.
(c) The oubaas.
(d) His father.
11. What does a soldier force Tengo to do at the school gates?
(a) Put on a gas mask.
(b) Return home.
(c) Hand over his backpack.
(d) Get inside the school gates.
12. Where does Tengo want to go to school?
(d) Port St. Johns.
13. What does Tengo give to Dr. and Mrs. Miller in appreciation for the books they had sent him?
(a) Fresh figs.
(c) Clay sculptures.
14. When schools reopen, they are closed again soon afterward because __________________________.
(a) There is an influenza epidemic.
(b) It is monsoon season.
(c) More protests break out.
(d) A cholera epidemic breaks out.
15. What does Joseph think that blacks should do?
(a) Maintain a low profile.
(b) Get the best education possible.
(c) Take back what was theirs all along.
(d) Marry white people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tengo no longer notice in Johannesburg?
2. What does Joseph offer to Tengo?
3. Tengo knows that life will be better if blacks ______________________.
4. Why is Tengo mad at Frikkie when he comes for a short vacation at the farm?
5. What consumes most of Tengo's time at school?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)