|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joseph think that blacks should do?
(a) Marry white people.
(b) Take back what was theirs all along.
(c) Maintain a low profile.
(d) Get the best education possible.
2. Who takes Tengo to the train on the day of his departure?
(a) Frikkie's father.
(b) The oubaas.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
3. What do many of the student protesters suggest for the students?
(a) They should write letters to the government.
(b) They should not be out on the streets after dark.
(c) They should picket the school buildings.
(d) They leave school until they can be given a better education.
4. What does Joseph offer to Tengo?
(a) A good deal on a car.
(b) A tutor.
(c) A free room.
(d) A way to continue his education.
5. With which girl does Tengo have his first romance?
6. Why does Frikkie have to wait after his school years to return to the farm permanently?
(a) He wants to teach for awhile.
(b) He needs a specialized degree.
(c) He is forced to serve two years in the army.
(d) He wants to travel internationally.
7. Tengo is faced with making a choice that leaves him indecisive and __________________.
8. Life staying familiar is ____________________ for Frikkie.
9. How much time has passed since Tengo arrived at school?
(a) One year.
(b) Two years.
(c) Six months.
(d) Three years.
10. Where does Frikkie go for a brief vacation after his military training?
(a) The farm.
(b) The Seychelles.
(c) The Bahamas.
11. What does Frikkie have difficulty in accepting when he realizes that Tengo is gone?
(d) Farm work.
12. According to Tengo, the black schools are designed to ____________________________.
(a) Instill confidence in black children.
(b) Teach blacks just enough to do menial jobs.
(c) Create straight-A students.
(d) Teach equality among races.
13. What does ANC stand for?
(a) African Nationalists Convention.
(b) African National Congress.
(c) Artists Never Compromise.
(d) African Naval Commission.
14. Tengo knows that life will be better if blacks ______________________.
(a) Can achieve their goals.
(b) Owned businesses.
(c) Could vote.
(d) Stayed in their place.
15. Why is Tengo mad at Frikkie when he comes for a short vacation at the farm?
(a) Frikkie can run faster than Tengo.
(b) Frikkie can ride a horse better than Tengo.
(c) Frikkie weighs more than Tengo.
(d) Frikkie is taller than Tengo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs at the farm to threaten its survival?
2. What is unique about the choice Tengo has to make?
3. What do the Millers encourage Tengo to study in school?
4. With which girl from his class does Tengo study?
5. How many years does Frikkie have to wait after his school years until he can return to the farm permanently?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)