|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tengo no longer notice in Johannesburg?
(a) Crowded streets.
(b) Traffic jams.
(c) Street lamps.
(d) The sounds of the city.
2. Tengo is aware of his mother's ___________________ at his departure.
3. Tengo's mood changes ___________________________.
(a) After Frikkie leaves.
(b) When his mother leaves.
(c) When the oubaas speaks harshly to him.
(d) When he goes to school.
4. Who is angry when learning about Tengo's desire to go to school?
(a) Dr. Miller.
(b) The oubaas.
(d) Mrs. Miller.
5. Why is Tengo happy about the chance to continue his education?
(a) It is all he has ever wanted.
(b) He will get a travel gift from his family.
(c) He will be able to stay in Johannesburg.
(d) He will be able to run the farm.
6. What exam does Frikkie complete?
7. Which friend of Tengo's asks him to join a group?
8. Who is the head of the organization Tengo is asked to join?
(a) Nelson Manson.
(b) Nelson Marzetti.
(c) Nelson Mandela.
(d) Nelson Mankowitz.
9. What does Joseph think that blacks should do?
(a) Get the best education possible.
(b) Maintain a low profile.
(c) Marry white people.
(d) Take back what was theirs all along.
10. Tengo must choose between his personal desire for an education and _____________________________.
(a) His country's need for change.
(b) The desire to travel.
(c) The need to support his family.
(d) His father's demands.
11. What consumes most of Tengo's time at school?
12. What does Tengo think when Joseph is gone so often from home?
(a) He is studying at the library.
(b) He is spending time with his girlfriend.
(c) He is practicing soccer.
(d) He is involved with student protests.
13. What do the Millers encourage Tengo to study in school?
14. What does Tengo now know about Joseph?
(a) He has committed a crime.
(b) He is engaged to be married.
(c) He is gay.
(d) He is working against the government.
15. What does a soldier not allow Tengo to do?
(a) Talk to his teacher.
(b) Leave the schoolyard.
(c) Enter the school building.
(d) Stand with his friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Frikkie return to the farm, heartbroken to find that Tengo has gone away to school?
2. Who is the Millers' daughter?
3. According to Tengo, the black schools are designed to ____________________________.
4. What type of group is Tengo asked to join in #129?
5. How many years does Frikkie have to wait after his school years until he can return to the farm permanently?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)