|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tengo spend his time doing when school starts again?
(c) Playing soccer.
2. What makes Tengo hesitate when he arrives at school that day?
(a) He wonders if people are in the building.
(b) He tries to decide which side he should choose.
(c) He doesn't want to be on camera.
(d) He doesn't feel well and wants to return home.
3. Tengo also feels _______________ at the beginning of Chapter 7.
4. Why is the person in #56 angry about Tengo's desire to go to school?
(a) Because his sister should be allowed to go also.
(b) Black boys should not be given formal educations.
(c) It is too far for a boy to travel.
(d) He has planned on his being boss-boy in the future.
5. Why was Tengo unable to write his matriculation exam?
(a) He missed the session.
(b) The government protests.
(c) He had to return to the farm.
(d) He had the flu.
6. Why is Tengo mad at Frikkie when he comes for a short vacation at the farm?
(a) Frikkie is taller than Tengo.
(b) Frikkie can run faster than Tengo.
(c) Frikkie weighs more than Tengo.
(d) Frikkie can ride a horse better than Tengo.
7. According to Tengo, some of his friends and family believe that the white man will never allow blacks to have ____________________________.
(a) The kind of education they deserve.
(b) Voting rights.
8. What type of community does Claire tell Tengo she has created?
(a) One that integrates blacks and whites.
(b) One solely for blacks.
(c) One for all ethnicities.
(d) One solely for whites.
9. One day, Tengo arrives at school to find ______________________.
(a) A television crew.
(b) Military men.
(c) Frikkie and his uncle.
(d) Fire trucks.
10. Tengo's mood changes ___________________________.
(a) When the oubaas speaks harshly to him.
(b) After Frikkie leaves.
(c) When his mother leaves.
(d) When he goes to school.
11. What does Joseph offer to Tengo?
(a) A free room.
(b) A good deal on a car.
(c) A tutor.
(d) A way to continue his education.
12. What does Tengo give to Dr. and Mrs. Miller in appreciation for the books they had sent him?
(b) Clay sculptures.
(c) Fresh figs.
13. Tengo has waited for the moment to ________________________.
(a) Travel the country.
(b) Write his thesis.
(c) Join the protest groups.
(d) Kiss a girl.
14. Tengo is faced with making a choice that leaves him indecisive and __________________.
15. Tengo is aware of his mother's ___________________ at his departure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Frikkie comes for another vacation at the farm?
2. Why does Tengo desperately want an education?
3. Why does Frikkie want life to stay the same?
4. Who is the impetus behind Tengo's continuing his education?
5. What has Tengo suspected about Joseph for some time?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)