|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tengo also feels _______________ at the beginning of Chapter 7.
2. Why is Tengo happy about the chance to continue his education?
(a) He will get a travel gift from his family.
(b) It is all he has ever wanted.
(c) He will be able to stay in Johannesburg.
(d) He will be able to run the farm.
3. What do many of the student protesters suggest for the students?
(a) They should picket the school buildings.
(b) They should not be out on the streets after dark.
(c) They should write letters to the government.
(d) They leave school until they can be given a better education.
4. What has Tengo suspected about Joseph for some time?
(a) He has a girlfriend.
(b) He has a second job.
(c) He is cutting classes.
(d) He is working against the government.
5. The reverend tells Tengo that a new black government will need ________________________ to survive.
(a) Educated people.
(b) Public relations.
(c) Financial backing.
6. What is the nature of the student protests?
(a) College students protesting tuition hikes.
(b) Segregated dormitories at schools.
(c) Black students protesting segregated classrooms.
(d) Black students protesting the government.
7. What does Tengo give to Dr. and Mrs. Miller in appreciation for the books they had sent him?
(b) Fresh figs.
(c) Clay sculptures.
8. Which of the following is NOT a reason Tengo considers continuing his education?
(a) He wants to get an education.
(b) He can date smart girls.
(c) He will do it for his country.
(d) He will do it abroad.
9. Who does Tengo spend time during breaks to study?
(a) A local preacher.
(c) Dr. Miller.
(d) A paid tutor.
10. What is Tengo's first stop once he arrives in Johannesburg?
(a) The school.
(b) Dr. Miller's house.
(c) A cafe.
(d) His dormitory.
11. What becomes a concern for Tengo regarding the student uprisings?
(a) The noise level on the streets.
(b) The blatant use of weapons.
(c) How to avoid the draft.
(d) Which side he should take.
12. Frikkie learns that Tengo wants to study in ___________________.
13. According to Tengo, the black schools are designed to ____________________________.
(a) Create straight-A students.
(b) Teach blacks just enough to do menial jobs.
(c) Teach equality among races.
(d) Instill confidence in black children.
14. With whom will Tengo live while attending school in Johannesburg?
(a) Dr. and Mrs. Miller.
(b) The oubaas' daughter.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His aunt's family.
15. What does Joseph think that blacks should do?
(a) Marry white people.
(b) Get the best education possible.
(c) Maintain a low profile.
(d) Take back what was theirs all along.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years does Frikkie have to wait after his school years until he can return to the farm permanently?
2. Where does Tengo want to go to school?
3. How does Tengo feel about Joseph's offer?
4. With which girl from his class does Tengo study?
5. Why does Frikkie want life to stay the same?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)