|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Tengo, some of his friends and family believe that the white man will never allow blacks to have ____________________________.
(b) The kind of education they deserve.
(c) Voting rights.
2. With whom will Tengo live while attending school in Johannesburg?
(a) His uncle.
(b) The oubaas' daughter.
(c) Dr. and Mrs. Miller.
(d) His aunt's family.
3. The reverend tells Tengo that a new black government will need ________________________ to survive.
(b) Financial backing.
(c) Public relations.
(d) Educated people.
4. What does Tengo now know about Joseph?
(a) He is gay.
(b) He is working against the government.
(c) He is engaged to be married.
(d) He has committed a crime.
5. What do many of the student protesters suggest for the students?
(a) They leave school until they can be given a better education.
(b) They should not be out on the streets after dark.
(c) They should picket the school buildings.
(d) They should write letters to the government.
6. Tengo is faced with making a choice that leaves him indecisive and __________________.
7. What does Joseph think that blacks should do?
(a) Get the best education possible.
(b) Take back what was theirs all along.
(c) Marry white people.
(d) Maintain a low profile.
8. How old is Tengo in Chapter 10?
9. What is Tengo's first stop once he arrives in Johannesburg?
(a) The school.
(b) A cafe.
(c) Dr. Miller's house.
(d) His dormitory.
10. What exam does Frikkie complete?
11. What does a soldier not allow Tengo to do?
(a) Talk to his teacher.
(b) Enter the school building.
(c) Stand with his friends.
(d) Leave the schoolyard.
12. What does Tengo spend his time doing when school starts again?
(c) Playing soccer.
13. What is Claire's proposed occupation?
14. Which of the following is NOT a reason Tengo considers continuing his education?
(a) He will do it abroad.
(b) He can date smart girls.
(c) He wants to get an education.
(d) He will do it for his country.
15. Why does Tengo desperately want an education?
(a) He would like the prestige.
(b) He wants a good salary.
(c) It is the foundation for a political career.
(d) It is the only way he can change his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice is Tengo given by the reverend?
2. Why is Tengo mad at Frikkie when he comes for a short vacation at the farm?
3. What do the Millers encourage Tengo to study in school?
4. What do protesters throw at the soldier?
5. Tengo is aware of his mother's ___________________ at his departure.
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)