|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a soldier force Tengo to do at the school gates?
(a) Put on a gas mask.
(b) Get inside the school gates.
(c) Return home.
(d) Hand over his backpack.
2. Why is Tengo mad at Frikkie when he comes for a short vacation at the farm?
(a) Frikkie weighs more than Tengo.
(b) Frikkie can run faster than Tengo.
(c) Frikkie can ride a horse better than Tengo.
(d) Frikkie is taller than Tengo.
3. Why does Frikkie have to wait after his school years to return to the farm permanently?
(a) He wants to travel internationally.
(b) He is forced to serve two years in the army.
(c) He needs a specialized degree.
(d) He wants to teach for awhile.
4. Where does Frikkie go for a brief vacation after his military training?
(b) The Seychelles.
(c) The Bahamas.
(d) The farm.
5. When does Frikkie return to the farm, heartbroken to find that Tengo has gone away to school?
(a) Summer holiday.
(b) New Year's.
(c) Spring break.
6. One day, Tengo arrives at school to find ______________________.
(a) Fire trucks.
(b) Military men.
(c) A television crew.
(d) Frikkie and his uncle.
7. What is unique about the choice Tengo has to make?
(a) Tengo must make the choice for his family.
(b) Frikkie would never have to make it.
(c) Tengo is leading the initiative.
(d) Tengo is too young to make the choice.
8. Why does Tengo end his relationship with his girlfriend?
(a) He wants to devote all his time to study.
(b) She wanted to get married right away.
(c) She was flirting with other guys.
(d) He is frightened when his cousin becomes pregnant.
9. What does Tengo no longer notice in Johannesburg?
(a) Crowded streets.
(b) The sounds of the city.
(c) Street lamps.
(d) Traffic jams.
10. Tengo's mother tells _______________ that Tengo is determined to go to school.
(b) Mrs. Miller.
(c) The oubaas' wife.
(d) Oom Koos.
11. How many years does Tengo study before taking his first break?
12. Who is the impetus behind Tengo's continuing his education?
13. Which friend of Tengo's asks him to join a group?
14. Joseph tells Tengo that he can make arrangements for him to finish his education ________________ through the ANC.
(b) At home.
(c) In Johannesburg.
15. What is the name of the group Tengo is asked to join?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tengo leave the schoolyard?
2. Why does Frikkie want life to stay the same?
3. Frikkie learns that Tengo wants to study in ___________________.
4. Tengo knows that life will be better if blacks ______________________.
5. The reverend tells Tengo that a new black government will need ________________________ to survive.
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)