|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tengo study during his breaks?
(a) To catch up with other students his age.
(b) To pass his entrance exams.
(c) To avoid going home.
(d) To make new friends.
2. Why is Tengo happy about the chance to continue his education?
(a) He will be able to stay in Johannesburg.
(b) He will get a travel gift from his family.
(c) It is all he has ever wanted.
(d) He will be able to run the farm.
3. How much time has passed since Tengo arrived at school?
(a) Six months.
(b) One year.
(c) Two years.
(d) Three years.
4. Tengo no longer has to choose between his people and _________________.
5. Tengo must choose between his personal desire for an education and _____________________________.
(a) His country's need for change.
(b) The need to support his family.
(c) The desire to travel.
(d) His father's demands.
6. Tengo stops studying and feels __________________.
7. Where does Tengo want to go to school?
(d) Port St. Johns.
8. What does Tengo give to Dr. and Mrs. Miller in appreciation for the books they had sent him?
(b) Fresh figs.
(d) Clay sculptures.
9. According to Tengo, some of his friends and family believe that the white man will never allow blacks to have ____________________________.
(a) The kind of education they deserve.
(b) Voting rights.
10. How many years does Tengo study before taking his first break?
11. What is the nature of the student protests?
(a) Black students protesting segregated classrooms.
(b) Black students protesting the government.
(c) College students protesting tuition hikes.
(d) Segregated dormitories at schools.
12. What becomes a concern for Tengo regarding the student uprisings?
(a) How to avoid the draft.
(b) The noise level on the streets.
(c) The blatant use of weapons.
(d) Which side he should take.
13. Who is the Millers' daughter?
14. Joseph says that black schools teach blacks ___________________________.
(a) How to be good soldiers.
(b) Agricultural skills.
(c) Just enough to do menial jobs.
(d) About black history.
15. Why is the person in #56 angry about Tengo's desire to go to school?
(a) Because his sister should be allowed to go also.
(b) Black boys should not be given formal educations.
(c) It is too far for a boy to travel.
(d) He has planned on his being boss-boy in the future.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of group is Tengo asked to join in #129?
2. What is the name of the group Tengo is asked to join?
3. Life staying familiar is ____________________ for Frikkie.
4. Tengo has waited for the moment to ________________________.
5. Tengo's mood changes ___________________________.
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)