|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The reverend tells Tengo that a new black government will need ________________________ to survive.
(b) Financial backing.
(c) Educated people.
(d) Public relations.
2. Why does Frikkie have to wait after his school years to return to the farm permanently?
(a) He wants to travel internationally.
(b) He needs a specialized degree.
(c) He wants to teach for awhile.
(d) He is forced to serve two years in the army.
3. Tengo knows that life will be better if blacks ______________________.
(a) Can achieve their goals.
(b) Owned businesses.
(c) Stayed in their place.
(d) Could vote.
4. Why was Tengo unable to write his matriculation exam?
(a) The government protests.
(b) He missed the session.
(c) He had the flu.
(d) He had to return to the farm.
5. What do the Millers encourage Tengo to study in school?
6. What do protesters throw at the soldier?
7. What happens when Frikkie comes for another vacation at the farm?
(a) He and Tengo read books.
(b) Tengo teaches him to milk a cow.
(c) He and Tengo go hunting.
(d) Tengo is reluctant to play with him.
8. Why does Tengo's mother want him to return to the farm?
(a) To visit.
(b) To help his father.
(c) To take over the farm.
(d) To tutor the young children.
9. Tengo stops studying and feels __________________.
10. What exam does Frikkie complete?
11. What does Joseph offer to Tengo?
(a) A free room.
(b) A way to continue his education.
(c) A good deal on a car.
(d) A tutor.
12. How does Tengo feel about the inequality between blacks and whites?
13. One day, Tengo arrives at school to find ______________________.
(a) Frikkie and his uncle.
(b) Military men.
(c) A television crew.
(d) Fire trucks.
14. What makes Tengo hesitate when he arrives at school that day?
(a) He wonders if people are in the building.
(b) He doesn't want to be on camera.
(c) He tries to decide which side he should choose.
(d) He doesn't feel well and wants to return home.
15. What does Tengo give to Dr. and Mrs. Miller in appreciation for the books they had sent him?
(a) Fresh figs.
(b) Clay sculptures.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Miller offer to pay for Tengo?
2. How many years does Frikkie have to wait after his school years until he can return to the farm permanently?
3. Who pays for Tengo's train ticket?
4. Tengo must choose between his personal desire for an education and _____________________________.
5. How old is Tengo's cousin when she becomes pregnant?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)