|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Frikkie go for a brief vacation after his military training?
(b) The farm.
(c) The Bahamas.
(d) The Seychelles.
2. Joseph tells Tengo that he can make arrangements for him to finish his education ________________ through the ANC.
(a) At home.
(b) In Johannesburg.
3. What does Tengo think when Joseph is gone so often from home?
(a) He is spending time with his girlfriend.
(b) He is studying at the library.
(c) He is practicing soccer.
(d) He is involved with student protests.
4. Why is the person in #56 angry about Tengo's desire to go to school?
(a) Black boys should not be given formal educations.
(b) It is too far for a boy to travel.
(c) He has planned on his being boss-boy in the future.
(d) Because his sister should be allowed to go also.
5. How old is Tengo in Chapter 10?
6. What do protesters throw at the soldier?
7. Tengo struggles with his need for an education and ________________________.
(a) His friendship with Frikkie.
(b) His loyalty to his father.
(c) His love for his mother.
(d) The needs of his countrymen.
8. What do many of the student protesters suggest for the students?
(a) They should write letters to the government.
(b) They leave school until they can be given a better education.
(c) They should not be out on the streets after dark.
(d) They should picket the school buildings.
9. How does Tengo feel about Joseph's offer?
(a) He is skeptical.
(b) He is cautious.
(c) He is excited.
(d) He is confused.
10. How old is Tengo's cousin when she becomes pregnant?
11. What type of group is Tengo asked to join in #129?
(a) A group protesting the government.
(b) A study group.
(c) A tutoring group.
(d) A travel group.
12. Why was Tengo unable to write his matriculation exam?
(a) The government protests.
(b) He had to return to the farm.
(c) He had the flu.
(d) He missed the session.
13. What makes Tengo hesitate when he arrives at school that day?
(a) He wonders if people are in the building.
(b) He tries to decide which side he should choose.
(c) He doesn't feel well and wants to return home.
(d) He doesn't want to be on camera.
14. According to Tengo, some of his friends and family believe that the white man will never allow blacks to have ____________________________.
(a) Voting rights.
(c) The kind of education they deserve.
15. Who is angry when learning about Tengo's desire to go to school?
(b) Dr. Miller.
(c) The oubaas.
(d) Mrs. Miller.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a soldier not allow Tengo to do?
2. Tengo dreams of going abroad to a place where ____________________________.
3. Tengo has waited for the moment to ________________________.
4. Tengo's mother tells _______________ that Tengo is determined to go to school.
5. When does Frikkie return to the farm, heartbroken to find that Tengo has gone away to school?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)