|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Tengo in Chapter 10?
2. What consumes most of Tengo's time at school?
3. How many years does Tengo study before taking his first break?
4. What is Tengo's first stop once he arrives in Johannesburg?
(a) His dormitory.
(b) A cafe.
(c) The school.
(d) Dr. Miller's house.
5. With which girl does Tengo have his first romance?
6. Which friend of Tengo's asks him to join a group?
7. Tengo struggles with his need for an education and ________________________.
(a) His love for his mother.
(b) The needs of his countrymen.
(c) His friendship with Frikkie.
(d) His loyalty to his father.
8. Which of the following is NOT a reason Tengo considers continuing his education?
(a) He will do it for his country.
(b) He can date smart girls.
(c) He will do it abroad.
(d) He wants to get an education.
9. Why is the person in #56 angry about Tengo's desire to go to school?
(a) Because his sister should be allowed to go also.
(b) He has planned on his being boss-boy in the future.
(c) Black boys should not be given formal educations.
(d) It is too far for a boy to travel.
10. How old is Tengo's cousin when she becomes pregnant?
11. Who takes Tengo to the train on the day of his departure?
(a) His mother.
(b) The oubaas.
(c) Frikkie's father.
(d) His father.
12. What does Frikkie want during this time?
(a) A better-paying job.
(b) A girlfriend.
(c) An extended holiday.
(d) For things to remain the same.
13. What exam does Frikkie complete?
14. What does ANC stand for?
(a) African Naval Commission.
(b) African Nationalists Convention.
(c) African National Congress.
(d) Artists Never Compromise.
15. Joseph tells Tengo that he can make arrangements for him to finish his education ________________ through the ANC.
(c) At home.
(d) In Johannesburg.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the greatest need of Tengo's family and friends?
2. How much time has passed since Tengo arrived at school?
3. What event has made Tengo acutely aware of the inequality between blacks and whites?
4. Why does Frikkie have to wait after his school years to return to the farm permanently?
5. Tengo's mother tells _______________ that Tengo is determined to go to school.
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)