|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Tengo's cousin when she becomes pregnant?
2. Tengo has waited for the moment to ________________________.
(a) Kiss a girl.
(b) Join the protest groups.
(c) Write his thesis.
(d) Travel the country.
3. How does Tengo leave the schoolyard?
(a) He doesn't leave.
(b) He climbs the fence.
(c) He escapes.
(d) He has a military escort.
4. Tengo dreams of going abroad to a place where ____________________________.
(a) There are many beaches.
(b) A black man can be President.
(c) It is warm all year long.
(d) He is not treated as less than human.
5. Why is Tengo happy about the chance to continue his education?
(a) He will get a travel gift from his family.
(b) He will be able to run the farm.
(c) He will be able to stay in Johannesburg.
(d) It is all he has ever wanted.
6. Tengo knows that life will be better if blacks ______________________.
(a) Can achieve their goals.
(b) Could vote.
(c) Stayed in their place.
(d) Owned businesses.
7. What does Tengo now know about Joseph?
(a) He is working against the government.
(b) He is gay.
(c) He has committed a crime.
(d) He is engaged to be married.
8. Why was Tengo unable to write his matriculation exam?
(a) The government protests.
(b) He missed the session.
(c) He had the flu.
(d) He had to return to the farm.
9. What does Tengo no longer notice in Johannesburg?
(a) Crowded streets.
(b) Traffic jams.
(c) Street lamps.
(d) The sounds of the city.
10. What does Tengo spend his time doing when school starts again?
(c) Playing soccer.
11. How old is Tengo in Chapter 10?
12. The reverend tells Tengo that a new black government will need ________________________ to survive.
(a) Educated people.
(b) Financial backing.
(d) Public relations.
13. With which girl from his class does Tengo study?
14. Tengo struggles with his need for an education and ________________________.
(a) His love for his mother.
(b) His friendship with Frikkie.
(c) The needs of his countrymen.
(d) His loyalty to his father.
15. What exam does Frikkie complete?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tengo's first stop once he arrives in Johannesburg?
2. What becomes a concern for Tengo regarding the student uprisings?
3. Joseph tells Tengo that one day blacks will take over the _____________________.
4. What is the nature of the student protests?
5. One day, Tengo arrives at school to find ______________________.
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)