|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tengo's first stop once he arrives in Johannesburg?
(a) His dormitory.
(b) Dr. Miller's house.
(c) The school.
(d) A cafe.
2. Why is the person in #56 angry about Tengo's desire to go to school?
(a) He has planned on his being boss-boy in the future.
(b) Black boys should not be given formal educations.
(c) Because his sister should be allowed to go also.
(d) It is too far for a boy to travel.
3. What does Frikkie want during this time?
(a) An extended holiday.
(b) A girlfriend.
(c) For things to remain the same.
(d) A better-paying job.
4. Who is the Millers' daughter?
5. With which girl does Tengo have his first romance?
6. When schools reopen, they are closed again soon afterward because __________________________.
(a) More protests break out.
(b) There is an influenza epidemic.
(c) It is monsoon season.
(d) A cholera epidemic breaks out.
7. Tengo must choose between his personal desire for an education and _____________________________.
(a) His country's need for change.
(b) The desire to travel.
(c) His father's demands.
(d) The need to support his family.
8. Who is the head of the organization Tengo is asked to join?
(a) Nelson Marzetti.
(b) Nelson Mandela.
(c) Nelson Manson.
(d) Nelson Mankowitz.
9. What do the Millers encourage Tengo to study in school?
10. What is the nature of the student protests?
(a) Black students protesting the government.
(b) College students protesting tuition hikes.
(c) Segregated dormitories at schools.
(d) Black students protesting segregated classrooms.
11. When does Frikkie return to the farm, heartbroken to find that Tengo has gone away to school?
(a) Spring break.
(b) Summer holiday.
(c) New Year's.
12. How old is Frikkie in Chapter 10?
13. With whom will Tengo live while attending school in Johannesburg?
(a) The oubaas' daughter.
(b) Dr. and Mrs. Miller.
(c) His aunt's family.
(d) His uncle.
14. Why does Tengo desperately want an education?
(a) It is the foundation for a political career.
(b) It is the only way he can change his life.
(c) He would like the prestige.
(d) He wants a good salary.
15. Who is the oubaas' current boss-boy?
(a) Frikkie's uncle.
(b) Tengo's uncle.
(c) Frikkie's father.
(d) Tengo's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Life staying familiar is ____________________ for Frikkie.
2. Tengo dreams of going abroad to a place where ____________________________.
3. What is Claire's proposed occupation?
4. Tengo is aware of his mother's ___________________ at his departure.
5. How old is Tengo in Chapter 10?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)