|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children has Tengo's mother lost?
2. What does Tengo think about white men after reading some books?
(a) They are more inventive than other people.
(b) They have twisted history to suit their needs.
(c) They are not very good writers.
(d) They make good authority figures.
3. At what age did Tengo and Frikkie become friends?
4. What animal has Tengo crafted out of clay?
(a) A bull.
(b) A cat.
(c) A horse.
(d) A dog.
5. What is Frikkie's ethnicity?
6. What does Frikkie ask Tengo to get from his bedroom one day?
(a) His dominos.
(b) His hat.
(c) His knife.
(d) His marbles.
7. What does Tengo's mother ask Joseph's mother to send?
(b) Books for Tengo.
(c) Cotton fabrics.
8. Who is Oom Koos?
(a) A shopkeeper.
(b) A metal worker.
(c) A fisherman.
(d) The oubaas.
9. The oubaas tells Frikkie and Tengo the story of _______________________.
(a) The Cicada Storm.
(b) The Antelope Walk.
(c) The Great Trek.
(d) The Ship of Tears.
10. Who is Tengo?
(a) The son of the farm's boss-boy.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A chauffeur.
(d) A chef.
11. What is biltong?
(a) A tree.
(b) Cured meat.
(c) A cloak.
(d) A flower.
12. What does Frikkie give the girls to assure that they don't tell anyone about Tengo's outburst?
(b) A book.
(c) A prize marble.
13. What is a kraal?
(a) A pastry.
(b) A plant.
(c) A stockade.
(d) A bird.
14. Why are Tengo's parents reluctant to let him go to school?
(a) They don't want him to know more than they do.
(b) They need his help at home.
(c) They don't have much money.
(d) His sister died there.
15. Why is Tengo confused about Frikkie's attitude about not wanting to go back to school?
(a) He cannot attend school.
(b) Tengo really likes going to school.
(c) You can take field trips.
(d) You can make many friends there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tengo's attitude about his life right now?
2. What does Tengo do when Frikkie and the oubaas have their tea?
3. How old is Tengo?
4. Tengo's ancestors declared war on which group of people?
5. Where does Frikkie go when he reluctantly leaves the farm?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)