|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the man in #22 often provide to his employees?
(b) Medical care.
2. At first, Frikkie's _________________ sister can read faster than Tengo can.
3. Who is Tengo?
(a) The son of the farm's boss-boy.
(b) A chauffeur.
(c) A chef.
(d) A farmer.
4. What is the meaning of kleinbaas?
(a) Young master.
(b) Master baker.
(d) Long journey.
5. What animal has Tengo crafted out of clay?
(a) A dog.
(b) A bull.
(c) A cat.
(d) A horse.
6. How many children has Tengo's mother lost?
7. Why are Tengo's parents reluctant to let him go to school?
(a) They don't have much money.
(b) They need his help at home.
(c) They don't want him to know more than they do.
(d) His sister died there.
8. What is Tengo doing when Frikkie finds him in Chapter 2?
(a) Working with a hunk of clay.
(b) Feeding the cattle.
(c) Building a fire.
(d) Plucking chickens.
9. Why is Tengo confused about Frikkie's attitude about not wanting to go back to school?
(a) You can make many friends there.
(b) He cannot attend school.
(c) Tengo really likes going to school.
(d) You can take field trips.
10. What is in the box that arrives for Tengo?
11. Whom does Frikkie's cousin order to clean up the mess on the floor at the party?
12. After reading some books, how does Tengo begin to think about Oom Koos and Frikkie?
(a) He hates them.
(b) He respects them.
(c) He loves them.
(d) He resents them.
13. What is a kraal?
(a) A pastry.
(b) A stockade.
(c) A plant.
(d) A bird.
14. What is Tengo's attitude about his life right now?
(a) He is frustrated.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is hopeful.
(d) He is happy.
15. Where did the author live as a child?
(b) South America.
(d) South Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Tengo and Frikkie do at the river?
2. Who is Oom Koos?
3. Oubaas and his wife think that Tengo's desire for education will lead to _____________.
4. What does Frikkie ask Tengo to get from his bedroom one day?
5. Why is Frikkie treated with so much respect on the farm?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)