|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the oubaas' story, Tengo's ancestors are made out to be __________________.
2. What does Tengo think about white men after reading some books?
(a) They have twisted history to suit their needs.
(b) They are not very good writers.
(c) They make good authority figures.
(d) They are more inventive than other people.
3. After reading some books, how does Tengo begin to think about Oom Koos and Frikkie?
(a) He resents them.
(b) He hates them.
(c) He respects them.
(d) He loves them.
4. Where does Frikkie go when he reluctantly leaves the farm?
(a) To his uncle's factory.
(b) On a family holiday.
(c) To his godfather's house.
(d) Back to school.
5. Where is Tengo when Frikkie tries to find him to say goodbye?
(a) The library.
(b) In bed with a fever.
(c) The next village.
(d) A neighboring farm.
6. What is the upcoming celebration in Chapter 6?
(a) The oubaas' birthday.
(c) New Year's Day.
(d) National Patriot Day.
7. What does Tengo's mother ask Joseph's mother to send?
(c) Cotton fabrics.
(d) Books for Tengo.
8. What is a kraal?
(a) A bird.
(b) A pastry.
(c) A stockade.
(d) A plant.
9. Who is Oom Koos?
(a) A fisherman.
(b) A shopkeeper.
(c) A metal worker.
(d) The oubaas.
10. What is Tengo's attitude about his life right now?
(a) He is frustrated.
(b) He is happy.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is hopeful.
11. Why are Tengo's parents reluctant to let him go to school?
(a) His sister died there.
(b) They don't want him to know more than they do.
(c) They need his help at home.
(d) They don't have much money.
12. Where does Joseph live?
13. What does Frikkie's cousin drop on the floor during the party?
(a) A tray of hors 'doeuvre.
(b) A champagne glass.
(c) A cup of punch.
(d) A piece of cake.
14. Why is Frikkie treated with so much respect on the farm?
(a) He is very generous.
(b) He is white.
(c) He will inherit the farm one day.
(d) He is very smart.
15. What is biltong?
(a) A cloak.
(b) Cured meat.
(c) A flower.
(d) A tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tengo do when Frikkie and the oubaas have their tea?
2. At what age did Tengo and Frikkie become friends?
3. How many boxes of books does Tengo receive from the Millers?
4. What animal has Tengo crafted out of clay?
5. What does Frikkie ask Tengo to get from his bedroom one day?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)