|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The blind girl admits that she stays with the magistrate because she has no ______________________.
2. The Colonel brings back a large group of prisoners who turn out to be a group of _______________.
3. Who is the one being tortured which causes the person from #16 to react in the way that he/she does?
4. What is NOT one of the hobbies that the magistrate returns to once the weather begins to turn cooler?
5. What is the magistrate unable to provide when the girl asks him why he wants her to be back with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the blind girl admit to the magistrate as the reason why she stays with him?
2. What are some of the hobbies that the magistrate decides to take up again even though he should be preparing for attacks?
3. What happens when the group encounters a strong storm right before they reach the mountains?
4. What happens with the girl as they continue on their trip together through the mountains?
5. Why is the magistrate nervous about leaving his position even as he is approaching retirement?
6. What causes troubles when the fishermen are put into the barracks together, causing problems for the magistrate?
7. What does the magistrate find about the girl when they are performing the bathing ritual together day after day?
8. What do the magistrate and the four soldiers do in order to make the trip to the mountains a bit shorter?
9. Why does the blind girl leave the magistrate's house after he offers her a job in his home?
10. What happens to the family that the Colonel wants to interrogate when they come into town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The native girl became less of a human being during her torture, turning into a creature who believes in nothing.
Part 1: Why do you think the native girl became less of a human being during her torture?
Part 2: Do you think a person can become human again after suffering through torture?
Part 3: Do you think that you would become a create who believes in nothing if you were tortured? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Even children are being tortured during the atrocities in this African novel.
Part 1: Why do you think that even children are being tortured during this time?
Part 2: Do you think it's right to torture children during times of war? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think children should be treated in times of war? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The Colonel was sent to investigate rumors in the location so as to settle the area and to make things easier for the uprising.
Part 1: Why do you think rumors are so dangerous in times of war?
Part 2: Do you think that rumors can ever be completely dispelled?
Part 3: Do you listen to all of the rumors you hear? Why or why not?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)