|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one of the soldiers injure on their way back to the settlement after the journey?
2. The nomads would usually follow the _____________ on the path the magistrate and the soldiers are starting to follow.
3. The Colonel brings back a large group of prisoners who turn out to be a group of _______________.
4. The magistrate wants to inform the ___________ about the trip he is going to take with the girl, but decides to not do so.
5. What is the magistrate unable to provide when the girl asks him why he wants her to be back with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with the girl as they continue on their trip together through the mountains?
2. What does the magistrate doubt about the Empire, as he thinks about the way they are handling the barbarians?
3. Why does the blind girl leave the magistrate's house after he offers her a job in his home?
4. What happens to the family that the Colonel wants to interrogate when they come into town?
5. What does the magistrate decide to do as he feels frustrated with the relationship between him and he girl?
6. Why does the magistrate want to notify the Bureau about the trip that he is taking with the girl?
7. Why is the magistrate unable to remain uninvolved during the alleged barbarian uprising?
8. Why is the magistrate nervous about leaving his position even as he is approaching retirement?
9. What does the magistrate find when he goes to visit the family who has been tortured by the Colonel?
10. What happens when the girl in the group gets her period and is unable to hide it from the others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The magistrate wants to distance himself from the atrocities which are going on in the area.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to distance himself from the horrors that are occurring?
Part 2: Would you want to distance yourself from the atrocities which were going on around you?
Part 3: Why do you think the magistrate doesn't want to fight back against those performing the torture?
Essay Topic 2
The men began to strike back at the Colonel, which seems to drive him away.
Part 1: Why do you think that the people felt comfortable enough to throw stones at the Colonel?
Part 2: Do you think that the people had a right to fight back against the Colonel? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that you would ever throw stones at a political leader or other person in power?
Essay Topic 3
Living in fear seems to be the natural response for the people in the area, but this seems to create a strange way to live.
Part 1: Why do you think that living in fear is the natural response for the people in the area?
Part 2: Do you think that you could live in fear? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think living in fear affects those who are in that area?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)