|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the magistrate find to be sleeping when he visits the family the following day?
2. The magistrate finds a blind girl begging on the street for ____________ on a cold winter day.
3. The Colonel brings back a large group of prisoners who turn out to be a group of _______________.
4. The prisoners have different _____________ and lack hygiene, which causes a number of problems while they are captured.
5. The group at the entrance of the settlement appears to be a ___________, but this is not what they actually are.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of the raid that the Colonel tries to arrange with the help of the boy who he has interrogated?
2. What happens to the family that the Colonel wants to interrogate when they come into town?
3. What does the magistrate feel about the blind girl he sees on the street at the beginning of this section of the book?
4. What happens when the group encounters some indigenous people as they are traveling on the tenth day?
5. What happens when there is little food left after eight days of travel in the mountains?
6. What is the difference between the communication style of the magistrate and the blind girl in his home?
7. What does the magistrate doubt about the Empire, as he thinks about the way they are handling the barbarians?
8. Why is the magistrate nervous about leaving his position even as he is approaching retirement?
9. Why does the magistrate think that barbarians are always causing trouble, though they avoid fighting in the winter months?
10. What happens when the group encounters a strong storm right before they reach the mountains?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Living in fear seems to be the natural response for the people in the area, but this seems to create a strange way to live.
Part 1: Why do you think that living in fear is the natural response for the people in the area?
Part 2: Do you think that you could live in fear? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think living in fear affects those who are in that area?
Essay Topic 2
The barbarians are stealing from others and inspiring fear wherever they go.
Part 1: Why do you think the barbarians are able to inspire fear among the people?
Part 2: How do you think the barbarians can be stopped? Or can't they?
Part 3: Why do you think that the barbarians are trying to steal from others and to take over the countryside?
Essay Topic 3
The native girl became less of a human being during her torture, turning into a creature who believes in nothing.
Part 1: Why do you think the native girl became less of a human being during her torture?
Part 2: Do you think a person can become human again after suffering through torture?
Part 3: Do you think that you would become a create who believes in nothing if you were tortured? Why or why not?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)