|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT one of the hobbies that the magistrate returns to once the weather begins to turn cooler?
2. The magistrate finds the blind girl to be ___________________ and unresponsive when he tries to connect with her.
3. The nomads would usually follow the _____________ on the path the magistrate and the soldiers are starting to follow.
4. The magistrate believes that his trip could be seen as a way to restore good relationships with the ______________.
5. What happens as the blind girl refuses to talk about her injuries as the magistrate asks her about them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the blind girl on the street even more pitiful to the magistrate when he sees her for the first time?
2. What happens to the family that the Colonel wants to interrogate when they come into town?
3. What does the magistrate find when he goes to visit the family who has been tortured by the Colonel?
4. Why does the magistrate think that barbarians are always causing trouble, though they avoid fighting in the winter months?
5. What does the Colonel interrogate the fishermen about when he brings them in for questioning after their capture?
6. Why was Colonel Joll send to the area where the Magistrate is in charge at the start of the story?
7. Why does the blind girl leave the magistrate's house after he offers her a job in his home?
8. What are some of the hobbies that the magistrate decides to take up again even though he should be preparing for attacks?
9. What does the boy admit to when he is being interrogated by the Colonel during the beginning of the book?
10. What happens when there is little food left after eight days of travel in the mountains?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Colonel seems to be a man who likes to torture others in order to get answers from others.
Part 1: Why do you think torture is used to get answers from others?
Part 2: Do you think that torture is an effective way to get answers from others? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the torture is affecting the people who are not being tortured?
Essay Topic 2
Even children are being tortured during the atrocities in this African novel.
Part 1: Why do you think that even children are being tortured during this time?
Part 2: Do you think it's right to torture children during times of war? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think children should be treated in times of war? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The magistrate realizes that the law creates opportunities for both justice and injustice.
Part 1: Why do you think the law can create good and bad results?
Part 2: Do you think the law should only create opportunities for justice? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about the law? Do you think it's designed always for good? Why or why not?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)