|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the magistrate unable to provide when the girl asks him why he wants her to be back with him?
2. The magistrate realizes that one of the family members has been ________________, but the evidence was hidden.
3. The magistrate questions where torture is a ______________ method of eliciting information from the prisoners.
4. The group begins their journey by traveling to the ___________ and then the valleys, where the nomads usually travel.
5. What does the magistrate do for the girl when he goes out to find her on the streets after she runs away again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the magistrate want the girl to make her own decision about when it comes to the end of the journey?
2. What are some of the hobbies that the magistrate decides to take up again even though he should be preparing for attacks?
3. What does the magistrate find about the girl when they are performing the bathing ritual together day after day?
4. What does the boy admit to when he is being interrogated by the Colonel during the beginning of the book?
5. Why is the magistrate unable to remain uninvolved during the alleged barbarian uprising?
6. What does the magistrate find when he goes to visit the family who has been tortured by the Colonel?
7. What does the magistrate feel about the blind girl he sees on the street at the beginning of this section of the book?
8. Why does the magistrate think that barbarians are always causing trouble, though they avoid fighting in the winter months?
9. What happens when there is little food left after eight days of travel in the mountains?
10. Why does the blind girl leave the magistrate's house after he offers her a job in his home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even children are being tortured during the atrocities in this African novel.
Part 1: Why do you think that even children are being tortured during this time?
Part 2: Do you think it's right to torture children during times of war? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think children should be treated in times of war? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The journey to take the girl back to her people seems to create a lot of conflict and doubt within the group.
Part 1: Do you think the journey was necessary for the story to progress? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think the magistrate changes during the course of this trip?
Part 3: Do you think that the magistrate needed to go on this journey with the others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When the girl asks the magistrate whether he wants her back, he can not give her a straight answer.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate is unable to decide whether he wants the girl or not?
Part 2: Do you think the girl wants to be with the magistrate as they grow closer during their journey? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the magistrate and the girl would fare if they both admitted their feelings for each other?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)