|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the torturers use in order to blind the girl who is now working for the magistrate in his home?
2. The magistrate becomes frustrated with the bathing ritual which makes him feel ___________ without bringing results.
3. In order to shorten their trip, the magistrate and the soldiers decide to take a path that has ___________________.
4. When the group returns back to the settlement, they are greeted by a group of ______________.
5. The boy admits to theft of __________ and arming by his clan during the torture by the Colonel.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the magistrate unable to remain uninvolved during the alleged barbarian uprising?
2. What do the magistrate and the four soldiers do in order to make the trip to the mountains a bit shorter?
3. What does the Colonel interrogate the fishermen about when he brings them in for questioning after their capture?
4. What does the magistrate doubt about the Empire, as he thinks about the way they are handling the barbarians?
5. What does the magistrate decide to do as he feels frustrated with the relationship between him and he girl?
6. What are some of the hobbies that the magistrate decides to take up again even though he should be preparing for attacks?
7. What does the boy admit to when he is being interrogated by the Colonel during the beginning of the book?
8. Why does the magistrate think that barbarians are always causing trouble, though they avoid fighting in the winter months?
9. What happens when the girl in the group gets her period and is unable to hide it from the others?
10. What is the difference between the communication style of the magistrate and the blind girl in his home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The magistrate decides that it would be best to not dwell in the past and to move on in the future.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to avoid thinking about the past?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to focus only on the present? Why or why not?
Part 3: How would your life change if you were only able to focus on the present? Or wouldn't it?
Essay Topic 2
Living in fear seems to be the natural response for the people in the area, but this seems to create a strange way to live.
Part 1: Why do you think that living in fear is the natural response for the people in the area?
Part 2: Do you think that you could live in fear? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think living in fear affects those who are in that area?
Essay Topic 3
The journey to take the girl back to her people seems to create a lot of conflict and doubt within the group.
Part 1: Do you think the journey was necessary for the story to progress? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think the magistrate changes during the course of this trip?
Part 3: Do you think that the magistrate needed to go on this journey with the others? Why or why not?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)