|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Colonel uses the _____________ to organize a raid on the barbarians and to begin fighting back in the uprising.
2. What does the girl get that she is unable to hide from the others, leading to a series of events?
3. What grows after the men begin to realize the purpose of the trip to the barbarians?
4. What keeps the magistrate up at night during the time when the Colonel is interrogating the many prisoners?
5. Even though the winter has passed, the wind blowing through the ice makes ___________ difficult for the men.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the magistrate think that barbarians are always causing trouble, though they avoid fighting in the winter months?
2. What does the magistrate try to explain to the soldiers about the huts and the people who live in them?
3. What do the people learn about the barbarians who lured the army into the desert?
4. What does the magistrate doubt about the Empire, as he thinks about the way they are handling the barbarians?
5. What is regarded as the only form of protection from the barbarians, causing the town to shift in terms of population and control?
6. What happens when the group encounters a strong storm right before they reach the mountains?
7. What do the men who are digging the wells find when they are beginning the process of constructing new wells?
8. What happens to the feelings the magistrate has about the girl as their journey continues on?
9. What does the magistrate learn about his status when he says he cannot be in power because he is awaiting trial?
10. What happens to the barbarians when they are locked up in their cells, according to the events the magistrate has witnessed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The magistrate is supposed to have a trial in order to have issues about his performance handled, but the colonel does not want this to happen.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to have his case handled by a trial?
Part 2: How do you think the problems of a magistrate should be handled?
Part 3: Why do you think the colonel doesn't want a trial to happen?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate decides to bring the girl back to her family as he's fed up with her and with her relationship.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate thought it was best to bring the girl back to her family?
Part 2: Do you think that it was a good idea for the magistrate to bring the girl back to her family? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the magistrate's life would have been different had he not tried to bring the girl back to her family?
Essay Topic 3
The journey to take the girl back to her people seems to create a lot of conflict and doubt within the group.
Part 1: Do you think the journey was necessary for the story to progress? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think the magistrate changes during the course of this trip?
Part 3: Do you think that the magistrate needed to go on this journey with the others? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,049 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)