Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the magistrate blame for all of the trouble that is happening among the people who are prisoners?
2. What does the magistrate offer in exchange for the horses of the barbarians, though they refuse to do so?
3. The boy admits to theft of __________ and arming by his clan during the torture by the Colonel.
4. What does one of the soldiers injure on their way back to the settlement after the journey?
5. When the blind girl finally tells the magistrate that she is willing to ____________, he finds himself to be indifferent.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the magistrate decide to offer the blind girl a chance to work in his home for the winter?
2. What are some of the hobbies that the magistrate decides to take up again even though he should be preparing for attacks?
3. What happens when the magistrate falls asleep in the room of one of the girls he used to sleep with?
4. What does the blind girl admit to the magistrate as the reason why she stays with him?
5. What does the magistrate decide to do as he feels frustrated with the relationship between him and he girl?
6. When does the magistrate ask about the injuries the girl has suffered once she is back in his home?
7. What do the magistrate and the four soldiers do in order to make the trip to the mountains a bit shorter?
8. Why is the magistrate unable to remain uninvolved during the alleged barbarian uprising?
9. What happens with the girl as they continue on their trip together through the mountains?
10. Why is the magistrate nervous about leaving his position even as he is approaching retirement?
Essay Topic 1
During their trip back to the girl's family, the magistrate and the girl begin to grow closer and she becomes more appealing.
Part 1: Why do you think that difficult journeys often result in people growing closer together?
Part 2: Why do you think that the child begins to be more attractive as the journey continues?
Part 3: Do you think that the magistrate really is attracted to the girl? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate seems to use sex in order to deal with some of his feelings.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate uses sex to handle his feelings?
Part 2: Do you think that the magistrate's emotional state is healthy? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the magistrate should have used other methods to handle his feelings? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When the girl asks the magistrate whether he wants her back, he can not give her a straight answer.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate is unable to decide whether he wants the girl or not?
Part 2: Do you think the girl wants to be with the magistrate as they grow closer during their journey? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the magistrate and the girl would fare if they both admitted their feelings for each other?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)