Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the magistrate blame for all of the trouble that is happening among the people who are prisoners?
2. What does the magistrate offer in exchange for the horses of the barbarians, though they refuse to do so?
3. The boy admits to theft of __________ and arming by his clan during the torture by the Colonel.
4. What does one of the soldiers injure on their way back to the settlement after the journey?
5. When the blind girl finally tells the magistrate that she is willing to ____________, he finds himself to be indifferent.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the magistrate decide to offer the blind girl a chance to work in his home for the winter?
2. What are some of the hobbies that the magistrate decides to take up again even though he should be preparing for attacks?
3. What happens when the magistrate falls asleep in the room of one of the girls he used to sleep with?
4. What does the blind girl admit to the magistrate as the reason why she stays with him?
5. What does the magistrate decide to do as he feels frustrated with the relationship between him and he girl?
6. When does the magistrate ask about the injuries the girl has suffered once she is back in his home?
7. What do the magistrate and the four soldiers do in order to make the trip to the mountains a bit shorter?
8. Why is the magistrate unable to remain uninvolved during the alleged barbarian uprising?
9. What happens with the girl as they continue on their trip together through the mountains?
10. Why is the magistrate nervous about leaving his position even as he is approaching retirement?
The men began to strike back at the Colonel, which seems to drive him away.
Part 1: Why do you think that the people felt comfortable enough to throw stones at the Colonel?
Part 2: Do you think that the people had a right to fight back against the Colonel? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that you would ever throw stones at a political leader or other person in power?
The sexual tension between the magistrate and the blind girl causes the magistrate to distance himself from the girl.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate is so attracted to the blind girl?
Part 2: Does it make sense that the sexual frustration pushes the magistrate away?
Part 3: Why do you think that the magistrate and the blind girl don't just consummate their relationship?
The Colonel seems to be a man who likes to torture others in order to get answers from others.
Part 1: Why do you think torture is used to get answers from others?
Part 2: Do you think that torture is an effective way to get answers from others? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the torture is affecting the people who are not being tortured?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)