|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The magistrate shows the _______________ to the Colonel when the Colonel is in the town for a visit.
2. Due to her injured ____________, the girl needs to use sticks in order to get around from place to place.
3. Who seems to have injuries which are inconsistent to those mentioned on the interrogation report?
4. The nomads would usually follow the _____________ on the path the magistrate and the soldiers are starting to follow.
5. The blind girl feels ____________ of the work that she has been given, so she runs away from the magistrate's home.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the communication style of the magistrate and the blind girl in his home?
2. What does the magistrate find about the girl when they are performing the bathing ritual together day after day?
3. What happens when there is little food left after eight days of travel in the mountains?
4. Why does the magistrate want to notify the Bureau about the trip that he is taking with the girl?
5. What causes troubles when the fishermen are put into the barracks together, causing problems for the magistrate?
6. What does the magistrate want the girl to make her own decision about when it comes to the end of the journey?
7. What happens to the family that the Colonel wants to interrogate when they come into town?
8. What does the magistrate decide to do as he feels frustrated with the relationship between him and he girl?
9. When does the magistrate ask about the injuries the girl has suffered once she is back in his home?
10. Why does the magistrate decide to offer the blind girl a chance to work in his home for the winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The magistrate decides that it would be best to not dwell in the past and to move on in the future.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to avoid thinking about the past?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to focus only on the present? Why or why not?
Part 3: How would your life change if you were only able to focus on the present? Or wouldn't it?
Essay Topic 2
During their trip back to the girl's family, the magistrate and the girl begin to grow closer and she becomes more appealing.
Part 1: Why do you think that difficult journeys often result in people growing closer together?
Part 2: Why do you think that the child begins to be more attractive as the journey continues?
Part 3: Do you think that the magistrate really is attracted to the girl? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The magistrate becomes confused as he begins to be attracted to the girl who he meets and brings into his home.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate is attracted to the girl he's brought into his home?
Part 2: Do you think that the girl is attracted to the magistrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think these two people are drawn to each other in this story?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)