|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is NOT in the group of people who are interrogated after being picked up on their way into town?
2. The blind girl seems to communicate __________ while the magistrate seems to focus on communicating nuances.
3. The magistrate questions where torture is a ______________ method of eliciting information from the prisoners.
4. When the blind girl finally tells the magistrate that she is willing to ____________, he finds himself to be indifferent.
5. Who does the magistrate find to be sleeping when he visits the family the following day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the magistrate and the four soldiers do in order to make the trip to the mountains a bit shorter?
2. What happens when there is little food left after eight days of travel in the mountains?
3. Why does the magistrate decide to offer the blind girl a chance to work in his home for the winter?
4. What does the Colonel interrogate the fishermen about when he brings them in for questioning after their capture?
5. What is the result of the raid that the Colonel tries to arrange with the help of the boy who he has interrogated?
6. Why is the magistrate nervous about leaving his position even as he is approaching retirement?
7. What happens when the group encounters some indigenous people as they are traveling on the tenth day?
8. When does the magistrate ask about the injuries the girl has suffered once she is back in his home?
9. Why was Colonel Joll send to the area where the Magistrate is in charge at the start of the story?
10. What does the magistrate find about the girl when they are performing the bathing ritual together day after day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The magistrate is supposed to have a trial in order to have issues about his performance handled, but the colonel does not want this to happen.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to have his case handled by a trial?
Part 2: How do you think the problems of a magistrate should be handled?
Part 3: Why do you think the colonel doesn't want a trial to happen?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate decides to bring the girl back to her family as he's fed up with her and with her relationship.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate thought it was best to bring the girl back to her family?
Part 2: Do you think that it was a good idea for the magistrate to bring the girl back to her family? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the magistrate's life would have been different had he not tried to bring the girl back to her family?
Essay Topic 3
Those in the military seem to be be paranoid about everyone and their intentions, no matter what side they seem to be on.
Part 1: Why do you think that military leaders are so suspicious of others?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to be suspicious of everyone around you? Why or why not?
Part 3:How do you think that military leaders should treat each other during times of conflict?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)