|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The group begins their journey by traveling to the ___________ and then the valleys, where the nomads usually travel.
2. The Colonel brings back a large group of prisoners who turn out to be a group of _______________.
3. The relationship the magistrate has with the __________ remains the same - distant and indifferent.
4. Without informing anyone, the magistrate takes ___________ soldiers and heads into the mountains on the trip.
5. What kind of work does the magistrate offer to the blind girl in order to help her have a warm place to stay and to work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the magistrate decide to offer the blind girl a chance to work in his home for the winter?
2. What does the magistrate doubt about the Empire, as he thinks about the way they are handling the barbarians?
3. What happens when the girl in the group gets her period and is unable to hide it from the others?
4. What is the result of the raid that the Colonel tries to arrange with the help of the boy who he has interrogated?
5. What happens when the group encounters some indigenous people as they are traveling on the tenth day?
6. What does the magistrate find when he goes to visit the family who has been tortured by the Colonel?
7. Why was Colonel Joll send to the area where the Magistrate is in charge at the start of the story?
8. What does the blind girl admit to the magistrate as the reason why she stays with him?
9. Why does the blind girl leave the magistrate's house after he offers her a job in his home?
10. What happens to the feelings the magistrate has about the girl as their journey continues on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The magistrate decides that it would be best to not dwell in the past and to move on in the future.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to avoid thinking about the past?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to focus only on the present? Why or why not?
Part 3: How would your life change if you were only able to focus on the present? Or wouldn't it?
Essay Topic 2
The men began to strike back at the Colonel, which seems to drive him away.
Part 1: Why do you think that the people felt comfortable enough to throw stones at the Colonel?
Part 2: Do you think that the people had a right to fight back against the Colonel? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that you would ever throw stones at a political leader or other person in power?
Essay Topic 3
The magistrate becomes confused as he begins to be attracted to the girl who he meets and brings into his home.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate is attracted to the girl he's brought into his home?
Part 2: Do you think that the girl is attracted to the magistrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think these two people are drawn to each other in this story?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)