|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men think is associated with bad luck, so they have to perform a purification ritual before continuing on?
2. The magistrate shows the _______________ to the Colonel when the Colonel is in the town for a visit.
3. Who becomes more open as the journey progresses, conversing with the soldiers freely?
4. The group at the entrance of the settlement appears to be a ___________, but this is not what they actually are.
5. The Colonel brings back a large group of prisoners who turn out to be a group of _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the blind girl leave the magistrate's house after he offers her a job in his home?
2. What does the magistrate learn about his status when he says he cannot be in power because he is awaiting trial?
3. What do the people learn about the barbarians who lured the army into the desert?
4. Why was Colonel Joll send to the area where the Magistrate is in charge at the start of the story?
5. What is the difference between the communication style of the magistrate and the blind girl in his home?
6. What causes troubles when the fishermen are put into the barracks together, causing problems for the magistrate?
7. Why does the magistrate think that barbarians are always causing trouble, though they avoid fighting in the winter months?
8. What does the magistrate begin to believe about the consistency of the law as seen in the cases he has previously conducted?
9. What makes the blind girl on the street even more pitiful to the magistrate when he sees her for the first time?
10. What do the men who are digging the wells find when they are beginning the process of constructing new wells?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During their trip back to the girl's family, the magistrate and the girl begin to grow closer and she becomes more appealing.
Part 1: Why do you think that difficult journeys often result in people growing closer together?
Part 2: Why do you think that the child begins to be more attractive as the journey continues?
Part 3: Do you think that the magistrate really is attracted to the girl? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The journey to take the girl back to her people seems to create a lot of conflict and doubt within the group.
Part 1: Do you think the journey was necessary for the story to progress? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think the magistrate changes during the course of this trip?
Part 3: Do you think that the magistrate needed to go on this journey with the others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Colonel was sent to investigate rumors in the location so as to settle the area and to make things easier for the uprising.
Part 1: Why do you think rumors are so dangerous in times of war?
Part 2: Do you think that rumors can ever be completely dispelled?
Part 3: Do you listen to all of the rumors you hear? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,041 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)