|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the magistrate do for the girl when he goes out to find her on the streets after she runs away again?
2. The group at the entrance of the settlement appears to be a ___________, but this is not what they actually are.
3. The soldiers carry _____________ and try to conserve food and water the best they can as they travel.
4. Who does the magistrate find to be sleeping when he visits the family the following day?
5. What does the blind girl seem to agree to do on a daily basis, though there has been no conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with the girl as they continue on their trip together through the mountains?
2. Why does the magistrate think that barbarians are always causing trouble, though they avoid fighting in the winter months?
3. What makes the blind girl on the street even more pitiful to the magistrate when he sees her for the first time?
4. What does the magistrate feel about the blind girl he sees on the street at the beginning of this section of the book?
5. Why does the blind girl leave the magistrate's house after he offers her a job in his home?
6. What happens to the magistrate as a result of not having any activities to do during his captivity?
7. When does the magistrate ask about the injuries the girl has suffered once she is back in his home?
8. What causes troubles when the fishermen are put into the barracks together, causing problems for the magistrate?
9. What do the magistrate and the four soldiers do in order to make the trip to the mountains a bit shorter?
10. Why is the magistrate unable to remain uninvolved during the alleged barbarian uprising?
Essay Topic 1
The men began to strike back at the Colonel, which seems to drive him away.
Part 1: Why do you think that the people felt comfortable enough to throw stones at the Colonel?
Part 2: Do you think that the people had a right to fight back against the Colonel? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that you would ever throw stones at a political leader or other person in power?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate decides to bring the girl back to her family as he's fed up with her and with her relationship.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate thought it was best to bring the girl back to her family?
Part 2: Do you think that it was a good idea for the magistrate to bring the girl back to her family? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the magistrate's life would have been different had he not tried to bring the girl back to her family?
Essay Topic 3
Living in fear seems to be the natural response for the people in the area, but this seems to create a strange way to live.
Part 1: Why do you think that living in fear is the natural response for the people in the area?
Part 2: Do you think that you could live in fear? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think living in fear affects those who are in that area?
This section contains 2,040 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)