|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Colonel likes to use various stages of torture when he interrogates people, increasing the _________ at each stage.
2. When the winter finally ends, the ___________ trapping can begin again, according to this section of the story.
3. The relationship the magistrate has with the __________ remains the same - distant and indifferent.
4. Who believes the family is a threat to the colony, which is why they are picked up on their way through town?
5. The group at the entrance of the settlement appears to be a ___________, but this is not what they actually are.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the magistrate find about the girl when they are performing the bathing ritual together day after day?
2. What happens when the group encounters a strong storm right before they reach the mountains?
3. What does the boy admit to when he is being interrogated by the Colonel during the beginning of the book?
4. What happens when the group encounters some indigenous people as they are traveling on the tenth day?
5. When does the magistrate ask about the injuries the girl has suffered once she is back in his home?
6. Why does the magistrate think that barbarians are always causing trouble, though they avoid fighting in the winter months?
7. What causes troubles when the fishermen are put into the barracks together, causing problems for the magistrate?
8. What does the magistrate find when he goes to visit the family who has been tortured by the Colonel?
9. What does the magistrate doubt about the Empire, as he thinks about the way they are handling the barbarians?
10. What does the blind girl admit to the magistrate as the reason why she stays with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Colonel was sent to investigate rumors in the location so as to settle the area and to make things easier for the uprising.
Part 1: Why do you think rumors are so dangerous in times of war?
Part 2: Do you think that rumors can ever be completely dispelled?
Part 3: Do you listen to all of the rumors you hear? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The journey to take the girl back to her people seems to create a lot of conflict and doubt within the group.
Part 1: Do you think the journey was necessary for the story to progress? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think the magistrate changes during the course of this trip?
Part 3: Do you think that the magistrate needed to go on this journey with the others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Colonel seems to be a man who likes to torture others in order to get answers from others.
Part 1: Why do you think torture is used to get answers from others?
Part 2: Do you think that torture is an effective way to get answers from others? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the torture is affecting the people who are not being tortured?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)