Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the magistrate blame for all of the trouble that is happening among the people who are prisoners?
2. What does the magistrate offer in exchange for the horses of the barbarians, though they refuse to do so?
3. The boy admits to theft of __________ and arming by his clan during the torture by the Colonel.
4. What does one of the soldiers injure on their way back to the settlement after the journey?
5. When the blind girl finally tells the magistrate that she is willing to ____________, he finds himself to be indifferent.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the magistrate decide to offer the blind girl a chance to work in his home for the winter?
2. What are some of the hobbies that the magistrate decides to take up again even though he should be preparing for attacks?
3. What happens when the magistrate falls asleep in the room of one of the girls he used to sleep with?
4. What does the blind girl admit to the magistrate as the reason why she stays with him?
5. What does the magistrate decide to do as he feels frustrated with the relationship between him and he girl?
6. When does the magistrate ask about the injuries the girl has suffered once she is back in his home?
7. What do the magistrate and the four soldiers do in order to make the trip to the mountains a bit shorter?
8. Why is the magistrate unable to remain uninvolved during the alleged barbarian uprising?
9. What happens with the girl as they continue on their trip together through the mountains?
10. Why is the magistrate nervous about leaving his position even as he is approaching retirement?
Essay Topic 1
The barbarians are stealing from others and inspiring fear wherever they go.
Part 1: Why do you think the barbarians are able to inspire fear among the people?
Part 2: How do you think the barbarians can be stopped? Or can't they?
Part 3: Why do you think that the barbarians are trying to steal from others and to take over the countryside?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate decides that it would be best to not dwell in the past and to move on in the future.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to avoid thinking about the past?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to focus only on the present? Why or why not?
Part 3: How would your life change if you were only able to focus on the present? Or wouldn't it?
Essay Topic 3
The magistrate is supposed to have a trial in order to have issues about his performance handled, but the colonel does not want this to happen.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to have his case handled by a trial?
Part 2: How do you think the problems of a magistrate should be handled?
Part 3: Why do you think the colonel doesn't want a trial to happen?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)