|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the one being tortured which causes the person from #16 to react in the way that he/she does?
2. What was the actual destination of the prisoner(s) that was passing when this person or persons were picked up for interrogation?
3. After _________ days of traveling together, there is little food left in the supplies of the group.
4. Even after the magistrate _____________________, he still questions whether he really wants to have her.
5. What does the magistrate worry will hurt the girl once it begins to take hold of the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the boy admit to when he is being interrogated by the Colonel during the beginning of the book?
2. What causes troubles when the fishermen are put into the barracks together, causing problems for the magistrate?
3. What does the magistrate find about the girl when they are performing the bathing ritual together day after day?
4. What does the magistrate decide to do as he feels frustrated with the relationship between him and he girl?
5. What happens to the feelings the magistrate has about the girl as their journey continues on?
6. What does the magistrate doubt about the Empire, as he thinks about the way they are handling the barbarians?
7. What is the difference between the communication style of the magistrate and the blind girl in his home?
8. What is the result of the raid that the Colonel tries to arrange with the help of the boy who he has interrogated?
9. What happens when the group encounters a strong storm right before they reach the mountains?
10. What do the magistrate and the four soldiers do in order to make the trip to the mountains a bit shorter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The magistrate decides that it would be best to not dwell in the past and to move on in the future.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to avoid thinking about the past?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to focus only on the present? Why or why not?
Part 3: How would your life change if you were only able to focus on the present? Or wouldn't it?
Essay Topic 2
The men began to strike back at the Colonel, which seems to drive him away.
Part 1: Why do you think that the people felt comfortable enough to throw stones at the Colonel?
Part 2: Do you think that the people had a right to fight back against the Colonel? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that you would ever throw stones at a political leader or other person in power?
Essay Topic 3
The Colonel was sent to investigate rumors in the location so as to settle the area and to make things easier for the uprising.
Part 1: Why do you think rumors are so dangerous in times of war?
Part 2: Do you think that rumors can ever be completely dispelled?
Part 3: Do you listen to all of the rumors you hear? Why or why not?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)