|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grows after the men begin to realize the purpose of the trip to the barbarians?
2. The group begins their journey by traveling to the ___________ and then the valleys, where the nomads usually travel.
3. What is the magistrate unable to provide when the girl asks him why he wants her to be back with him?
4. Who becomes more open as the journey progresses, conversing with the soldiers freely?
5. The magistrate questions whether he really is attracted to the blind girl or if he feels _____________ about her torture.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the magistrate decide to do as he feels frustrated with the relationship between him and he girl?
2. What does the boy admit to when he is being interrogated by the Colonel during the beginning of the book?
3. Why is the magistrate nervous about leaving his position even as he is approaching retirement?
4. What does the magistrate doubt about the Empire, as he thinks about the way they are handling the barbarians?
5. What happens when the group encounters a strong storm right before they reach the mountains?
6. What happens to the family that the Colonel wants to interrogate when they come into town?
7. Why was Colonel Joll send to the area where the Magistrate is in charge at the start of the story?
8. Why is the magistrate unable to remain uninvolved during the alleged barbarian uprising?
9. What do the magistrate and the four soldiers do in order to make the trip to the mountains a bit shorter?
10. What does the Colonel interrogate the fishermen about when he brings them in for questioning after their capture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During their trip back to the girl's family, the magistrate and the girl begin to grow closer and she becomes more appealing.
Part 1: Why do you think that difficult journeys often result in people growing closer together?
Part 2: Why do you think that the child begins to be more attractive as the journey continues?
Part 3: Do you think that the magistrate really is attracted to the girl? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The native girl became less of a human being during her torture, turning into a creature who believes in nothing.
Part 1: Why do you think the native girl became less of a human being during her torture?
Part 2: Do you think a person can become human again after suffering through torture?
Part 3: Do you think that you would become a create who believes in nothing if you were tortured? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The magistrate becomes confused as he begins to be attracted to the girl who he meets and brings into his home.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate is attracted to the girl he's brought into his home?
Part 2: Do you think that the girl is attracted to the magistrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think these two people are drawn to each other in this story?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)