|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumors begin to spread that the barbarians are thinking about threatening the _____________ during their actions.
2. Who does the magistrate blame for all of the trouble that is happening among the people who are prisoners?
3. After _________ days of traveling together, there is little food left in the supplies of the group.
4. What is the name of the Colonel who likes to interrogate people of interest by using harsh torture methods?
5. The blind girl admits that she stays with the magistrate because she has no ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the magistrate doubt about the Empire, as he thinks about the way they are handling the barbarians?
2. Why does the blind girl leave the magistrate's house after he offers her a job in his home?
3. What does the boy admit to when he is being interrogated by the Colonel during the beginning of the book?
4. What happens when the group encounters some indigenous people as they are traveling on the tenth day?
5. Why does the magistrate want to notify the Bureau about the trip that he is taking with the girl?
6. What causes troubles when the fishermen are put into the barracks together, causing problems for the magistrate?
7. What does the magistrate find when he goes to visit the family who has been tortured by the Colonel?
8. Why was Colonel Joll send to the area where the Magistrate is in charge at the start of the story?
9. Why is the magistrate nervous about leaving his position even as he is approaching retirement?
10. What makes the blind girl on the street even more pitiful to the magistrate when he sees her for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The magistrate ends up helping a girl who is blind, taking her into his home and making her his maid.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to take in the blind girl?
Part 2: Why do you think the magistrate picks this girl out of all the others who are suffering?
Part 3: Would you have picked up a person from the side of the road to take into your home? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate is supposed to have a trial in order to have issues about his performance handled, but the colonel does not want this to happen.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to have his case handled by a trial?
Part 2: How do you think the problems of a magistrate should be handled?
Part 3: Why do you think the colonel doesn't want a trial to happen?
Essay Topic 3
Even children are being tortured during the atrocities in this African novel.
Part 1: Why do you think that even children are being tortured during this time?
Part 2: Do you think it's right to torture children during times of war? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think children should be treated in times of war? Why?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)