|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The boy admits to theft of __________ and arming by his clan during the torture by the Colonel.
2. When the blind girl finally tells the magistrate that she is willing to ____________, he finds himself to be indifferent.
3. Who is the one being tortured which causes the person from #16 to react in the way that he/she does?
4. The magistrate realizes that one of the family members has been ________________, but the evidence was hidden.
5. Who believes the family is a threat to the colony, which is why they are picked up on their way through town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What begins to spread among the soldiers as the rumors of the barbarians begin to spread more rapidly?
2. Why doesn't anyone want to gather wood in the area where the magistrate is now in control?
3. What is the sight that inspires fear and panic in the town as the magistrate describes in the story?
4. Why is the magistrate at odds with Mandel the policeman in the city where he is living?
5. When does the magistrate believe the barbarians might be able to be defeated?
6. What is the difference between the communication style of the magistrate and the blind girl in his home?
7. Why does the magistrate want to notify the Bureau about the trip that he is taking with the girl?
8. What does the magistrate learn about his status when he says he cannot be in power because he is awaiting trial?
9. Why is the magistrate unable to remain uninvolved during the alleged barbarian uprising?
10. When does the magistrate ask about the injuries the girl has suffered once she is back in his home?
Essay Topic 1
The Colonel was sent to investigate rumors in the location so as to settle the area and to make things easier for the uprising.
Part 1: Why do you think rumors are so dangerous in times of war?
Part 2: Do you think that rumors can ever be completely dispelled?
Part 3: Do you listen to all of the rumors you hear? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate decides that it would be best to not dwell in the past and to move on in the future.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to avoid thinking about the past?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to focus only on the present? Why or why not?
Part 3: How would your life change if you were only able to focus on the present? Or wouldn't it?
Essay Topic 3
The native girl became less of a human being during her torture, turning into a creature who believes in nothing.
Part 1: Why do you think the native girl became less of a human being during her torture?
Part 2: Do you think a person can become human again after suffering through torture?
Part 3: Do you think that you would become a create who believes in nothing if you were tortured? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,029 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)