|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The magistrate believes that the barbarians only different in their tolerance for ___________ and slovenliness, and the magistrate admires them.
2. The magistrate shows the _______________ to the Colonel when the Colonel is in the town for a visit.
3. The group continues to experience tough conditions, with _________ entering their clothing and their baggage as they travel.
4. The magistrate finds a blind girl begging on the street for ____________ on a cold winter day.
5. Even after the magistrate _____________________, he still questions whether he really wants to have her.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the magistrate want to notify the Bureau about the trip that he is taking with the girl?
2. What do the magistrate and the four soldiers do in order to make the trip to the mountains a bit shorter?
3. How does the magistrate suffer when he is imprisoned during his time in his cell?
4. What is the difference between the communication style of the magistrate and the blind girl in his home?
5. What does the Colonel do to the natives who have their cheeks wired and their wrists wired?
6. When does the magistrate ask about the injuries the girl has suffered once she is back in his home?
7. What happens to the way the magistrate looks at the girl who he used to take pity on when she is tortured?
8. What does the magistrate find when he goes to visit the family who has been tortured by the Colonel?
9. What does the boy admit to when he is being interrogated by the Colonel during the beginning of the book?
10. What happens with the fire that is being set along the riverbanks?
Essay Topic 1
When the girl asks the magistrate whether he wants her back, he can not give her a straight answer.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate is unable to decide whether he wants the girl or not?
Part 2: Do you think the girl wants to be with the magistrate as they grow closer during their journey? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the magistrate and the girl would fare if they both admitted their feelings for each other?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate seems to use sex in order to deal with some of his feelings.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate uses sex to handle his feelings?
Part 2: Do you think that the magistrate's emotional state is healthy? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the magistrate should have used other methods to handle his feelings? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The magistrate becomes confused as he begins to be attracted to the girl who he meets and brings into his home.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate is attracted to the girl he's brought into his home?
Part 2: Do you think that the girl is attracted to the magistrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think these two people are drawn to each other in this story?
This section contains 2,027 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)