Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the magistrate blame for all of the trouble that is happening among the people who are prisoners?
2. What does the magistrate offer in exchange for the horses of the barbarians, though they refuse to do so?
3. The boy admits to theft of __________ and arming by his clan during the torture by the Colonel.
4. What does one of the soldiers injure on their way back to the settlement after the journey?
5. When the blind girl finally tells the magistrate that she is willing to ____________, he finds himself to be indifferent.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the magistrate decide to offer the blind girl a chance to work in his home for the winter?
2. What are some of the hobbies that the magistrate decides to take up again even though he should be preparing for attacks?
3. What happens when the magistrate falls asleep in the room of one of the girls he used to sleep with?
4. What does the blind girl admit to the magistrate as the reason why she stays with him?
5. What does the magistrate decide to do as he feels frustrated with the relationship between him and he girl?
6. When does the magistrate ask about the injuries the girl has suffered once she is back in his home?
7. What do the magistrate and the four soldiers do in order to make the trip to the mountains a bit shorter?
8. Why is the magistrate unable to remain uninvolved during the alleged barbarian uprising?
9. What happens with the girl as they continue on their trip together through the mountains?
10. Why is the magistrate nervous about leaving his position even as he is approaching retirement?
The Colonel seems to be a man who likes to torture others in order to get answers from others.
Part 1: Why do you think torture is used to get answers from others?
Part 2: Do you think that torture is an effective way to get answers from others? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the torture is affecting the people who are not being tortured?
The native girl became less of a human being during her torture, turning into a creature who believes in nothing.
Part 1: Why do you think the native girl became less of a human being during her torture?
Part 2: Do you think a person can become human again after suffering through torture?
Part 3: Do you think that you would become a create who believes in nothing if you were tortured? Why or why not?
The Colonel was sent to investigate rumors in the location so as to settle the area and to make things easier for the uprising.
Part 1: Why do you think rumors are so dangerous in times of war?
Part 2: Do you think that rumors can ever be completely dispelled?
Part 3: Do you listen to all of the rumors you hear? Why or why not?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)