|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The relationship the magistrate has with the __________ remains the same - distant and indifferent.
2. A magistrate is in charge of administering the _____________ in a colonial town at the start of this story.
3. The barbarians are not interested in the ___________ they used to engage in until they started drinking and causing trouble.
4. Due to her injured ____________, the girl needs to use sticks in order to get around from place to place.
5. What does the group end up losing in the winds of a fierce storm, never to recover it again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the magistrate doubt about the Empire, as he thinks about the way they are handling the barbarians?
2. What happens with the girl as they continue on their trip together through the mountains?
3. What does the boy admit to when he is being interrogated by the Colonel during the beginning of the book?
4. Why does the magistrate think that barbarians are always causing trouble, though they avoid fighting in the winter months?
5. Why does the blind girl leave the magistrate's house after he offers her a job in his home?
6. What do the magistrate and the four soldiers do in order to make the trip to the mountains a bit shorter?
7. What happens when there is little food left after eight days of travel in the mountains?
8. Why was Colonel Joll send to the area where the Magistrate is in charge at the start of the story?
9. What does the magistrate find about the girl when they are performing the bathing ritual together day after day?
10. What is the result of the raid that the Colonel tries to arrange with the help of the boy who he has interrogated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The magistrate decides that it would be best to not dwell in the past and to move on in the future.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to avoid thinking about the past?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to focus only on the present? Why or why not?
Part 3: How would your life change if you were only able to focus on the present? Or wouldn't it?
Essay Topic 2
The journey to take the girl back to her people seems to create a lot of conflict and doubt within the group.
Part 1: Do you think the journey was necessary for the story to progress? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think the magistrate changes during the course of this trip?
Part 3: Do you think that the magistrate needed to go on this journey with the others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The magistrate ends up helping a girl who is blind, taking her into his home and making her his maid.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to take in the blind girl?
Part 2: Why do you think the magistrate picks this girl out of all the others who are suffering?
Part 3: Would you have picked up a person from the side of the road to take into your home? Why or why not?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)