|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The magistrate is worried that the answers the prisoners give while being tortured are only what the Colonel _______________.
2. Various measures are undertaken in anticipation of barbarian attacks, such as ___________ and vigilance.
3. Who has sent the Colonel to the area where the magistrate is in charge so that he can look into rumors that have spread?
4. How does the magistrate begin to inform the government about his actions, though he puts this aside?
5. The magistrate separates their _____________ and begins to resume his normal social life.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the magistrate nervous about leaving his position even as he is approaching retirement?
2. What happens when the group encounters some indigenous people as they are traveling on the tenth day?
3. What is the result of the raid that the Colonel tries to arrange with the help of the boy who he has interrogated?
4. What happens when there is little food left after eight days of travel in the mountains?
5. What do the magistrate and the four soldiers do in order to make the trip to the mountains a bit shorter?
6. Why does the magistrate think that barbarians are always causing trouble, though they avoid fighting in the winter months?
7. What happens to the family that the Colonel wants to interrogate when they come into town?
8. What does the magistrate want the girl to make her own decision about when it comes to the end of the journey?
9. What does the magistrate find when he goes to visit the family who has been tortured by the Colonel?
10. What causes troubles when the fishermen are put into the barracks together, causing problems for the magistrate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The magistrate seems to use sex in order to deal with some of his feelings.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate uses sex to handle his feelings?
Part 2: Do you think that the magistrate's emotional state is healthy? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the magistrate should have used other methods to handle his feelings? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate wants to distance himself from the atrocities which are going on in the area.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to distance himself from the horrors that are occurring?
Part 2: Would you want to distance yourself from the atrocities which were going on around you?
Part 3: Why do you think the magistrate doesn't want to fight back against those performing the torture?
Essay Topic 3
When the girl asks the magistrate whether he wants her back, he can not give her a straight answer.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate is unable to decide whether he wants the girl or not?
Part 2: Do you think the girl wants to be with the magistrate as they grow closer during their journey? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the magistrate and the girl would fare if they both admitted their feelings for each other?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)