|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The girl says that she doesn't like _____________ and wants to stay with her own people.
2. In order to shorten their trip, the magistrate and the soldiers decide to take a path that has ___________________.
3. All that the magistrate knows about the girl is that she is the ____________ of the man who died during the interrogation.
4. A magistrate is in charge of administering the _____________ in a colonial town at the start of this story.
5. The Colonel brings back a large group of prisoners who turn out to be a group of _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Colonel interrogate the fishermen about when he brings them in for questioning after their capture?
2. Why does the magistrate think that barbarians are always causing trouble, though they avoid fighting in the winter months?
3. When does the magistrate ask about the injuries the girl has suffered once she is back in his home?
4. What does the magistrate decide to do as he feels frustrated with the relationship between him and he girl?
5. What are some of the hobbies that the magistrate decides to take up again even though he should be preparing for attacks?
6. What happens when the group encounters a strong storm right before they reach the mountains?
7. Why does the blind girl leave the magistrate's house after he offers her a job in his home?
8. What does the magistrate find about the girl when they are performing the bathing ritual together day after day?
9. What does the magistrate feel about the blind girl he sees on the street at the beginning of this section of the book?
10. What happens when there is little food left after eight days of travel in the mountains?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The magistrate becomes confused as he begins to be attracted to the girl who he meets and brings into his home.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate is attracted to the girl he's brought into his home?
Part 2: Do you think that the girl is attracted to the magistrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think these two people are drawn to each other in this story?
Essay Topic 2
The native girl became less of a human being during her torture, turning into a creature who believes in nothing.
Part 1: Why do you think the native girl became less of a human being during her torture?
Part 2: Do you think a person can become human again after suffering through torture?
Part 3: Do you think that you would become a create who believes in nothing if you were tortured? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The men began to strike back at the Colonel, which seems to drive him away.
Part 1: Why do you think that the people felt comfortable enough to throw stones at the Colonel?
Part 2: Do you think that the people had a right to fight back against the Colonel? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that you would ever throw stones at a political leader or other person in power?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)