|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the one being tortured which causes the person from #16 to react in the way that he/she does?
2. ______________ washes and bathes the blind girl each and every day, though it leaves this person feeling confused.
3. The blind girl feels ____________ of the work that she has been given, so she runs away from the magistrate's home.
4. What grows after the men begin to realize the purpose of the trip to the barbarians?
5. The magistrate shows the _______________ to the Colonel when the Colonel is in the town for a visit.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the boy admit to when he is being interrogated by the Colonel during the beginning of the book?
2. What does the Colonel interrogate the fishermen about when he brings them in for questioning after their capture?
3. What does the blind girl admit to the magistrate as the reason why she stays with him?
4. What happens when there is little food left after eight days of travel in the mountains?
5. What happens when the group encounters some indigenous people as they are traveling on the tenth day?
6. What happens to the family that the Colonel wants to interrogate when they come into town?
7. What does the magistrate find about the girl when they are performing the bathing ritual together day after day?
8. What does the magistrate want the girl to make her own decision about when it comes to the end of the journey?
9. What does the magistrate decide to do as he feels frustrated with the relationship between him and he girl?
10. What causes troubles when the fishermen are put into the barracks together, causing problems for the magistrate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Those in the military seem to be be paranoid about everyone and their intentions, no matter what side they seem to be on.
Part 1: Why do you think that military leaders are so suspicious of others?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to be suspicious of everyone around you? Why or why not?
Part 3:How do you think that military leaders should treat each other during times of conflict?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate wants to distance himself from the atrocities which are going on in the area.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to distance himself from the horrors that are occurring?
Part 2: Would you want to distance yourself from the atrocities which were going on around you?
Part 3: Why do you think the magistrate doesn't want to fight back against those performing the torture?
Essay Topic 3
The Colonel seems to be a man who likes to torture others in order to get answers from others.
Part 1: Why do you think torture is used to get answers from others?
Part 2: Do you think that torture is an effective way to get answers from others? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the torture is affecting the people who are not being tortured?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)