|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The magistrate questions where torture is a ______________ method of eliciting information from the prisoners.
2. What is the magistrate unable to provide when the girl asks him why he wants her to be back with him?
3. Is the girl who works for the magistrate completely blind because of her interrogation torture?
4. After _________ days of traveling together, there is little food left in the supplies of the group.
5. The magistrate shows the _______________ to the Colonel when the Colonel is in the town for a visit.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the feelings the magistrate has about the girl as their journey continues on?
2. What happens to the family that the Colonel wants to interrogate when they come into town?
3. What does the magistrate decide to do as he feels frustrated with the relationship between him and he girl?
4. What does the blind girl admit to the magistrate as the reason why she stays with him?
5. What do the magistrate and the four soldiers do in order to make the trip to the mountains a bit shorter?
6. Why does the magistrate decide to offer the blind girl a chance to work in his home for the winter?
7. What does the magistrate feel about the blind girl he sees on the street at the beginning of this section of the book?
8. What happens when there is little food left after eight days of travel in the mountains?
9. What does the magistrate want the girl to make her own decision about when it comes to the end of the journey?
10. What does the magistrate find when he goes to visit the family who has been tortured by the Colonel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The sexual tension between the magistrate and the blind girl causes the magistrate to distance himself from the girl.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate is so attracted to the blind girl?
Part 2: Does it make sense that the sexual frustration pushes the magistrate away?
Part 3: Why do you think that the magistrate and the blind girl don't just consummate their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate realizes that the law creates opportunities for both justice and injustice.
Part 1: Why do you think the law can create good and bad results?
Part 2: Do you think the law should only create opportunities for justice? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you feel about the law? Do you think it's designed always for good? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The magistrate seems to use sex in order to deal with some of his feelings.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate uses sex to handle his feelings?
Part 2: Do you think that the magistrate's emotional state is healthy? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the magistrate should have used other methods to handle his feelings? Why or why not?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)