|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even though the winter has passed, the wind blowing through the ice makes ___________ difficult for the men.
2. What does the group end up losing in the winds of a fierce storm, never to recover it again?
3. Who does the group encounter on their tenth day of traveling in the wilderness?
4. The Colonel brings back a large group of prisoners who turn out to be a group of _______________.
5. In order to shorten their trip, the magistrate and the soldiers decide to take a path that has ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the magistrate doubt about the Empire, as he thinks about the way they are handling the barbarians?
2. What happens to the feelings the magistrate has about the girl as their journey continues on?
3. What makes the blind girl on the street even more pitiful to the magistrate when he sees her for the first time?
4. What do the magistrate and the four soldiers do in order to make the trip to the mountains a bit shorter?
5. What happens with the girl as they continue on their trip together through the mountains?
6. What happens when there is little food left after eight days of travel in the mountains?
7. Why does the magistrate want to notify the Bureau about the trip that he is taking with the girl?
8. When does the magistrate ask about the injuries the girl has suffered once she is back in his home?
9. Why was Colonel Joll send to the area where the Magistrate is in charge at the start of the story?
10. What does the magistrate find about the girl when they are performing the bathing ritual together day after day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The men began to strike back at the Colonel, which seems to drive him away.
Part 1: Why do you think that the people felt comfortable enough to throw stones at the Colonel?
Part 2: Do you think that the people had a right to fight back against the Colonel? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that you would ever throw stones at a political leader or other person in power?
Essay Topic 2
The native girl became less of a human being during her torture, turning into a creature who believes in nothing.
Part 1: Why do you think the native girl became less of a human being during her torture?
Part 2: Do you think a person can become human again after suffering through torture?
Part 3: Do you think that you would become a create who believes in nothing if you were tortured? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The magistrate wants to distance himself from the atrocities which are going on in the area.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to distance himself from the horrors that are occurring?
Part 2: Would you want to distance yourself from the atrocities which were going on around you?
Part 3: Why do you think the magistrate doesn't want to fight back against those performing the torture?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)