|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The magistrate wants to inform the ___________ about the trip he is going to take with the girl, but decides to not do so.
2. The magistrate is upset about incidents between the soldiers and the prisoners especially when _________________.
3. The magistrate decides it's going to be best to take the girl back to _______________.
4. Who is the one being tortured which causes the person from #16 to react in the way that he/she does?
5. The blind girl seems to communicate __________ while the magistrate seems to focus on communicating nuances.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the magistrate unable to remain uninvolved during the alleged barbarian uprising?
2. Why does the magistrate want to notify the Bureau about the trip that he is taking with the girl?
3. What happens when the girl in the group gets her period and is unable to hide it from the others?
4. Why does the blind girl leave the magistrate's house after he offers her a job in his home?
5. What does the Colonel interrogate the fishermen about when he brings them in for questioning after their capture?
6. What does the blind girl admit to the magistrate as the reason why she stays with him?
7. What causes troubles when the fishermen are put into the barracks together, causing problems for the magistrate?
8. What does the magistrate feel about the blind girl he sees on the street at the beginning of this section of the book?
9. What happens when there is little food left after eight days of travel in the mountains?
10. What does the magistrate doubt about the Empire, as he thinks about the way they are handling the barbarians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The magistrate decides that it would be best to not dwell in the past and to move on in the future.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to avoid thinking about the past?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to focus only on the present? Why or why not?
Part 3: How would your life change if you were only able to focus on the present? Or wouldn't it?
Essay Topic 2
During their trip back to the girl's family, the magistrate and the girl begin to grow closer and she becomes more appealing.
Part 1: Why do you think that difficult journeys often result in people growing closer together?
Part 2: Why do you think that the child begins to be more attractive as the journey continues?
Part 3: Do you think that the magistrate really is attracted to the girl? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Living in fear seems to be the natural response for the people in the area, but this seems to create a strange way to live.
Part 1: Why do you think that living in fear is the natural response for the people in the area?
Part 2: Do you think that you could live in fear? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think living in fear affects those who are in that area?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)