|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The magistrate finds a blind girl begging on the street for ____________ on a cold winter day.
2. What did the torturers use in order to blind the girl who is now working for the magistrate in his home?
3. The magistrate becomes frustrated with the bathing ritual which makes him feel ___________ without bringing results.
4. The Colonel uses the _____________ to organize a raid on the barbarians and to begin fighting back in the uprising.
5. What is the first direction in which the magistrate and his men begin to travel with the girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the magistrate unable to remain uninvolved during the alleged barbarian uprising?
2. What does the magistrate find about the girl when they are performing the bathing ritual together day after day?
3. What happens when the girl in the group gets her period and is unable to hide it from the others?
4. What happens when there is little food left after eight days of travel in the mountains?
5. What happens to the feelings the magistrate has about the girl as their journey continues on?
6. What does the magistrate find when he goes to visit the family who has been tortured by the Colonel?
7. What does the blind girl admit to the magistrate as the reason why she stays with him?
8. What does the magistrate doubt about the Empire, as he thinks about the way they are handling the barbarians?
9. Why does the magistrate want to notify the Bureau about the trip that he is taking with the girl?
10. Why does the magistrate think that barbarians are always causing trouble, though they avoid fighting in the winter months?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The magistrate decides that it would be best to not dwell in the past and to move on in the future.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to avoid thinking about the past?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to focus only on the present? Why or why not?
Part 3: How would your life change if you were only able to focus on the present? Or wouldn't it?
Essay Topic 2
Those in the military seem to be be paranoid about everyone and their intentions, no matter what side they seem to be on.
Part 1: Why do you think that military leaders are so suspicious of others?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to be suspicious of everyone around you? Why or why not?
Part 3:How do you think that military leaders should treat each other during times of conflict?
Essay Topic 3
The Colonel seems to be a man who likes to torture others in order to get answers from others.
Part 1: Why do you think torture is used to get answers from others?
Part 2: Do you think that torture is an effective way to get answers from others? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the torture is affecting the people who are not being tortured?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)