|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the group returns back to the settlement, they are greeted by a group of ______________.
2. What does the magistrate worry will hurt the girl once it begins to take hold of the area?
3. ______________ washes and bathes the blind girl each and every day, though it leaves this person feeling confused.
4. Who does the magistrate blame for all of the trouble that is happening among the people who are prisoners?
5. With the alleged barbarian uprising, the magistrate is unable to remain _______________ in the issues which take place.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the magistrate find when he goes to visit the family who has been tortured by the Colonel?
2. What does the magistrate doubt about the Empire, as he thinks about the way they are handling the barbarians?
3. What are some of the hobbies that the magistrate decides to take up again even though he should be preparing for attacks?
4. When does the magistrate ask about the injuries the girl has suffered once she is back in his home?
5. What makes the blind girl on the street even more pitiful to the magistrate when he sees her for the first time?
6. Why does the magistrate want to notify the Bureau about the trip that he is taking with the girl?
7. What happens when the group encounters a strong storm right before they reach the mountains?
8. What happens with the girl as they continue on their trip together through the mountains?
9. What does the boy admit to when he is being interrogated by the Colonel during the beginning of the book?
10. Why was Colonel Joll send to the area where the Magistrate is in charge at the start of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Colonel seems to be a man who likes to torture others in order to get answers from others.
Part 1: Why do you think torture is used to get answers from others?
Part 2: Do you think that torture is an effective way to get answers from others? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the torture is affecting the people who are not being tortured?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate is supposed to have a trial in order to have issues about his performance handled, but the colonel does not want this to happen.
Part 1: Why do you think the magistrate wants to have his case handled by a trial?
Part 2: How do you think the problems of a magistrate should be handled?
Part 3: Why do you think the colonel doesn't want a trial to happen?
Essay Topic 3
The barbarians are stealing from others and inspiring fear wherever they go.
Part 1: Why do you think the barbarians are able to inspire fear among the people?
Part 2: How do you think the barbarians can be stopped? Or can't they?
Part 3: Why do you think that the barbarians are trying to steal from others and to take over the countryside?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)