|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who seems to have injuries which are inconsistent to those mentioned on the interrogation report?
2. What keeps the magistrate up at night during the time when the Colonel is interrogating the many prisoners?
3. Once the group leaves the lake conditions, they have to kill one of ______________ that refuses to rise from the ground.
4. Rumors begin to spread that the barbarians are thinking about threatening the _____________ during their actions.
5. The relationship the magistrate has with the __________ remains the same - distant and indifferent.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the magistrate and the four soldiers do in order to make the trip to the mountains a bit shorter?
2. What happens to the family that the Colonel wants to interrogate when they come into town?
3. What happens when there is little food left after eight days of travel in the mountains?
4. What is the result of the raid that the Colonel tries to arrange with the help of the boy who he has interrogated?
5. What happens to the feelings the magistrate has about the girl as their journey continues on?
6. What does the magistrate decide to do as he feels frustrated with the relationship between him and he girl?
7. What does the Colonel interrogate the fishermen about when he brings them in for questioning after their capture?
8. Why was Colonel Joll send to the area where the Magistrate is in charge at the start of the story?
9. What does the magistrate want the girl to make her own decision about when it comes to the end of the journey?
10. What happens when the group encounters a strong storm right before they reach the mountains?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The barbarians are stealing from others and inspiring fear wherever they go.
Part 1: Why do you think the barbarians are able to inspire fear among the people?
Part 2: How do you think the barbarians can be stopped? Or can't they?
Part 3: Why do you think that the barbarians are trying to steal from others and to take over the countryside?
Essay Topic 2
The magistrate becomes confused as he begins to be attracted to the girl who he meets and brings into his home.
Part 1: Why do you think that the magistrate is attracted to the girl he's brought into his home?
Part 2: Do you think that the girl is attracted to the magistrate? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think these two people are drawn to each other in this story?
Essay Topic 3
Those in the military seem to be be paranoid about everyone and their intentions, no matter what side they seem to be on.
Part 1: Why do you think that military leaders are so suspicious of others?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to be suspicious of everyone around you? Why or why not?
Part 3:How do you think that military leaders should treat each other during times of conflict?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)