|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The magistrate has disagreements with the _____________ while new conscripts arrive to replace old soldiers.
2. Who is killed when he/she tries to protect another part of his/her family during an interrogation session?
3. When the group returns back to the settlement, they are greeted by a group of ______________.
4. What is the name of the Colonel who likes to interrogate people of interest by using harsh torture methods?
5. The barbarians stay away from the town during the winter months, dealing with the _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the boy admit to when he is being interrogated by the Colonel during the beginning of the book?
2. Why does the magistrate decide to offer the blind girl a chance to work in his home for the winter?
3. What is the difference between the communication style of the magistrate and the blind girl in his home?
4. What happens when the girl in the group gets her period and is unable to hide it from the others?
5. What does the Colonel interrogate the fishermen about when he brings them in for questioning after their capture?
6. Why is the magistrate nervous about leaving his position even as he is approaching retirement?
7. What does the magistrate find when he goes to visit the family who has been tortured by the Colonel?
8. What does the blind girl admit to the magistrate as the reason why she stays with him?
9. Why was Colonel Joll send to the area where the Magistrate is in charge at the start of the story?
10. What does the magistrate find about the girl when they are performing the bathing ritual together day after day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Colonel was sent to investigate rumors in the location so as to settle the area and to make things easier for the uprising.
Part 1: Why do you think rumors are so dangerous in times of war?
Part 2: Do you think that rumors can ever be completely dispelled?
Part 3: Do you listen to all of the rumors you hear? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
During their trip back to the girl's family, the magistrate and the girl begin to grow closer and she becomes more appealing.
Part 1: Why do you think that difficult journeys often result in people growing closer together?
Part 2: Why do you think that the child begins to be more attractive as the journey continues?
Part 3: Do you think that the magistrate really is attracted to the girl? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Those in the military seem to be be paranoid about everyone and their intentions, no matter what side they seem to be on.
Part 1: Why do you think that military leaders are so suspicious of others?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to be suspicious of everyone around you? Why or why not?
Part 3:How do you think that military leaders should treat each other during times of conflict?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)