Chapter abstracts are short descriptions of events that occur in each chapter. They highlight major plot events and detail the important relationships and characteristics of characters and objects. The Chapter Abstracts can be used to review what the students have read, or to prepare the students for what they will read. Hand the abstracts out in class as a study guide, or use them as a "key" for a class discussion. They are relatively brief, but can serve to be an excellent refresher of the text for either a student or teacher.
Chapter I Abstract
* A magistrate witnesses the torture of the invaded population.
* Colonel Joll talks about his ways of obtaining the truth from prisoners.
* A family is imprisoned, though the magistrate doesn't think they're a threat, Joll does.
* Interrogations and torture continue through the land.
Chapter II Abstract
* The magistrate gives a young blind girl money...
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)