|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Addie disappointed when she gets home?
2. Where does Dwight say he and the Littles have moved?
3. What does Addie find when she goes inside Grandio's house?
4. Where does Addie have lunch?
5. What does Addie say about mid-December?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with the box of chocolates?
2. What is Elliot installing in the mini-mart and what does Soula think of it?
3. What does Addie tell Mommers about the flute and how does Denise respond?
4. What does Denise ask Addie concerning Dwight's house and what is Addie's response?
5. How does Hannah sum up her past to Addie?
6. How does Addie react when she finds Hannah making breakfast the next morning?
7. What does Dwight tell Addie that Addie has mixed feelings about the news?
8. What does Dwight do when he meets Addie after school on Valentine's Day?
9. What does Denise say about Addie visiting Grandio and Dwight's family over Thanksgiving?
10. What does Mommers say that completely dumbfounds Addie when Addie is talking to Mommers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes Waiting for Normal interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Addie. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Denise. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Dwight. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Leslie Connor.
2. What in Connor's background may have helped her in writing "Waiting for Normal"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)