|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the package Soula gives Addie to open at home?
2. What did Grandio say about the times when Dwight helped on the farm?
3. What has Mommers brought home when she arrives?
4. What does Denise say she is doing the rest of Christmas day?
5. What does Addie hear the last night she is at Hannah's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Addie sad when she witnesses Dwight and Hannah putting the Littles to bed?
2. How does Addie compare herself to Brynna and what is Dwight's response?
3. What does Denise say about Addie visiting Grandio and Dwight's family over Thanksgiving?
4. What does Grandio give Addie and how does she react?
5. What does Addie tell Mommers about the flute and how does Denise respond?
6. What is the dress like that Mommers buys Addie for her recital and what is Addie's response?
7. What does Mommers say that completely dumbfounds Addie when Addie is talking to Mommers?
8. What conversation does Addie overhear the night before she is leaving and how does she feel?
9. What business does Hannah have and how do the girls help Hannah in the business?
10. How does Addie react when she finds Hannah making breakfast the next morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Waiting for Normal". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of honesty in "Waiting for Normal". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to have a difficult time telling the truth? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of family in "Waiting for Normal". What is family to some of the major characters? Why is family important? Who needs a normal family? Who wants a normal family? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes Waiting for Normal interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Addie. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Denise. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Dwight. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Waiting for Normal" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)