|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Addie disappointed when she gets home?
2. What does Addie say she will get at Goodwill?
3. What does Addie tell Dwight and Hannah is wrong when they ask her?
4. What does Addie say when Dwight asks her to visit?
5. What do Helena and Addie get when they pass the firehouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Addie compare herself to Brynna and what is Dwight's response?
2. What does Grandio give Addie and how does she react?
3. What does Dwight do when he meets Addie after school on Valentine's Day?
4. What business does Hannah have and how do the girls help Hannah in the business?
5. Describe Addie's Christmas with her mother.
6. About what does Addie reminisce when she arrives at Grandio's?
7. What does Denise ask Addie concerning Dwight's house and what is Addie's response?
8. What makes Addie sad when she witnesses Dwight and Hannah putting the Littles to bed?
9. What is the dress like that Mommers buys Addie for her recital and what is Addie's response?
10. What does Mommers say that completely dumbfounds Addie when Addie is talking to Mommers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as "Waiting for Normal" help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading this book? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in "Waiting for Normal" to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Waiting for Normal". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Connor chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Connor chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Connor's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Connor use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Leslie Connor.
2. What in Connor's background may have helped her in writing "Waiting for Normal"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)