|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Addie not mind when her paper bag with her clothes breaks?
2. Who sees Addie as she is running?
3. Where is Hannah's home located?
4. How does Addie feel about the dress her mother gets her for the concert?
5. Why does Addie insist upon buying a cup of soup at the minimart?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what does Addie reminisce when she arrives at Grandio's?
2. What does Dwight tell Addie that Addie has mixed feelings about the news?
3. What does Addie tell Mommers about the flute and how does Denise respond?
4. What does Denise ask Addie concerning Dwight's house and what is Addie's response?
5. What happens with the box of chocolates?
6. Who meets Addie at Lake George and why is it okay that her paper bag of clothes breaks?
7. Why does Addie back out of playing at the concert?
8. What is Elliot installing in the mini-mart and what does Soula think of it?
9. How does Addie compare herself to Brynna and what is Dwight's response?
10. What does Mommers say that completely dumbfounds Addie when Addie is talking to Mommers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Over the course of "Waiting for Normal", Addie grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. "Waiting for Normal" might be considered a slice of Addie's larger story, of her "coming of age." It might be said that this novel is a "bildungsroman" of Addie Schmeeter. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Addie as she changes from a more carefree, innocent girl to a wiser young girl. What are the significant events that change Addie?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Addie's growth throughout Waiting for Normal, do you think "Waiting for Normal" could be considered Addie's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in "Waiting for Normal" who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 2
Addie wants to dislike Hannah, but she can't. She thinks it is unfair that Hannah now has a connection with Dwight and the Littles, a connection that should be hers. She is happy that Dwight has found happiness, but is concerned about being left behind. Addie is also upset when Grandio makes unkind comments about her mother in front of Hannah. Seeing that Dwight, Hannah and the girls have a normal bedtime routine is strange for Addie. She is used to being the person in charge of the girls, which is her usual role in the family. It seems that Addie now has no role and she feels out of place. Hannah clearly tries to give her reassurance by allowing her to change Katie and by laughing about Brynna with her.
1. Discuss the reasons that Addie might want to dislike Hannah. Use examples from "Waiting for Normal" and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Addie's feelings of being left out is normal? Why or why not? Use examples from "Waiting for Normal" and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss the ways in which Addie might be affected throughout her life by having to take on too much responsibility as such as young person. Use examples from "Waiting for Normal" and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Addie and Denise. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Hannah and Denise. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Waiting for Normal" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)