|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Soula say she wants to do when Addie starts to go home?
2. What does Addie call her mother's bedroom?
3. What does Addie's mother do on the internet?
4. How does Dwight react when he learns Denise is gone?
5. What does Soula put on the board in her store?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have things changed since Mommers begins to work for Pete?
2. How does Addie learn that Soula and Elliot are not romantically involved?
3. Who does Addie meet at the mini-mart and what does the person tell Addie?
4. What does Denise say about the new car she is driving?
5. Where is Addie moving, why and how does she feel about it?
6. What does Addie do for Halloween?
7. Why does Denise begin yelling at Dwight when they are talking outside the trailer one day?
8. How does Denise feel about the trailer and why?
9. Why is everyone happy for Addie and how does Denise suggest they celebrate?
10. What does Dwight promise Addie as he is leaving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Waiting for Normal". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of honesty in "Waiting for Normal". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to have a difficult time telling the truth? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of family in "Waiting for Normal". What is family to some of the major characters? Why is family important? Who needs a normal family? Who wants a normal family? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes Waiting for Normal interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Addie. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Denise. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Dwight. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Waiting for Normal" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)