|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Addie's bed in her new space?
2. What time does Addie's mother awaken?
3. Who is Rick?
4. Where does Addie discover a glass room?
5. Who are the Littles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Addie meet at the mini-mart and what does the person tell Addie?
2. What does Addie say about six steps?
3. What happens when Dwight brings the Littles to the trailer?
4. How does Denise feel about the trailer and why?
5. What does Addie do for Halloween?
6. What were the reactions of Dwight and Grandio when they learned about Denise's disappearance when Addie is nine?
7. Where is Addie moving, why and how does she feel about it?
8. For what does Soula use the board in her store and why doesn't Addie read the things on the board?
9. Why isn't Addie afraid to be home alone?
10. Why does Helena have to see the school nurse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Waiting for Normal". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Connor chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Connor chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Connor's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Connor use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Waiting for Normal". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of honesty in "Waiting for Normal". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to have a difficult time telling the truth? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of family in "Waiting for Normal". What is family to some of the major characters? Why is family important? Who needs a normal family? Who wants a normal family? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)