|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Pete?
2. What time does Mommers wake Addie to say she is home?
3. What time does Addie's mother awaken?
4. What happened to their former house after Dwight moves out?
5. Who confronts Addie after she has her tryout with Ms. Rivera?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Addie meet at the mini-mart and what does the person tell Addie?
2. How does Addie compare herself to Brynna and what is Dwight's response?
3. Describe the conversation between Addie and Ms. Rivera.
4. What does Addie notice about her surroundings in her new home?
5. What makes Addie sad when she witnesses Dwight and Hannah putting the Littles to bed?
6. What business does Hannah have and how do the girls help Hannah in the business?
7. How does a fire start in the trailer?
8. What do Helena and her mother bring to Grandio's house and why doesn't Addie think she'll see Helena again?
9. What happens when Dwight brings the Littles to the trailer?
10. What happens at Addie's tryout for the orchestra?
Essay Topic 1
Addie is extremely responsible and grown up for her age; she will be entering the sixth grade in a couple of weeks. Mommers is portrayed as selfish and spoiled. She seems to feel Addie is ok taking care of the two of them, and she escapes her life's disappointments by getting online and smoking. It is clear that Addie misses the life she had with Dwight: being cared for, having family around and having security. However, Addie remains positive and doesn't seem to be too upset about the turns in her life. She seems to be used to them.
1. Discuss the ways in which Addie demonstrates her maturity for a sixth grader. Use examples from Waiting for Normal and your own life to support your answer.
2. Describe what you think is wrong with Denise including the problems you see with her role of mother to Addie. Use examples from "Waiting for Normal" and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think Addi is in denial and that is why she is able to stay positive about her life? Why or why not? Use examples from "Waiting for Normal" and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Waiting for Normal".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Waiting for Normal". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Waiting for Normal". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Waiting for Normal". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Connor chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Connor chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Connor's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Connor use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 3,308 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)