|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Denise say about Pete?
2. What does Addie remember about Grandio's friend?
3. How many steps are there to get to anywhere in the house?
4. For what reason is Helena told to talk to the school nurse?
5. How does Dwight react when he learns Denise is gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have things changed since Mommers begins to work for Pete?
2. What are the two vocabulary words Addie is learning that day, and why is she learning them?
3. What does Addie notice on the newspaper clipping board at the mini-mart one day?
4. Where is Addie moving, why and how does she feel about it?
5. What does Addie do for Halloween?
6. How does Addie learn that Soula and Elliot are not romantically involved?
7. What does Denise say about the new car she is driving?
8. What does Dwight promise Addie as he is leaving?
9. What does Denise say to Addie as she prepares to take Piccolo over to the mini-mart, and what is the effect of Denise's question?
10. Why does Denise begin yelling at Dwight when they are talking outside the trailer one day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Addie's mother has a way of saying things to her daughter that are unkind. Addie accepts these comments as truth and doesn't seem to question them. Addie is scared when she finds that Soula is so sick and she isn't sure what to do. However, it is apparent that being with Addie brings Soula great joy and comfort. Addie is terrified of what might happen if her mother doesn't come home. She doesn't seem to be concerned about safety, but more about the problems that will be caused if her mother stays away.
1. Discuss the ways in which Denise is unkind in what she says to Addie. Use examples from "Waiting for Normal" and your own life to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Addie believes what her mother says about her as truth? What are some of the ways that Addie behaves that seems to contradict what her mother says about her? Use examples from "Waiting for Normal" and your own life to support your answer.
3. Given that she is constantly having to take care of her mother and her mother is often unkind to her, why do you think Addie is so afraid her mother won't come home? Use examples from "Waiting for Normal" and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Leslie Connor.
2. What in Connor's background may have helped her in writing "Waiting for Normal"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)