|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what smell does Denise complain when she gets home?
2. What does Dwight tell Denise he has been offered?
3. Why does Addie feel badly when she practices her flute?
4. What does Denise say Dwight lacked?
5. What does Rick call Elliot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Helena have to see the school nurse?
2. Why is everyone happy for Addie and how does Denise suggest they celebrate?
3. Why isn't Addie afraid to be home alone?
4. How does Addie learn that Soula and Elliot are not romantically involved?
5. What happens when Dwight brings the Littles to the trailer?
6. Where is Addie moving, why and how does she feel about it?
7. Why does Denise begin yelling at Dwight when they are talking outside the trailer one day?
8. What are the two vocabulary words Addie is learning that day, and why is she learning them?
9. How have things changed since Mommers begins to work for Pete?
10. How does Denise look when Addie returns home and what does Denise tell Addie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Addie wants to dislike Hannah, but she can't. She thinks it is unfair that Hannah now has a connection with Dwight and the Littles, a connection that should be hers. She is happy that Dwight has found happiness, but is concerned about being left behind. Addie is also upset when Grandio makes unkind comments about her mother in front of Hannah. Seeing that Dwight, Hannah and the girls have a normal bedtime routine is strange for Addie. She is used to being the person in charge of the girls, which is her usual role in the family. It seems that Addie now has no role and she feels out of place. Hannah clearly tries to give her reassurance by allowing her to change Katie and by laughing about Brynna with her.
1. Discuss the reasons that Addie might want to dislike Hannah. Use examples from "Waiting for Normal" and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Addie's feelings of being left out is normal? Why or why not? Use examples from "Waiting for Normal" and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss the ways in which Addie might be affected throughout her life by having to take on too much responsibility as such as young person. Use examples from "Waiting for Normal" and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "Waiting for Normal"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "Waiting for Normal" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Waiting for Normal" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Waiting for Normal".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Waiting for Normal". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Waiting for Normal". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)