|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grandpere admit he is doing with Madame Horcada?
2. Where did Hubert take Jo after they left the school?
3. How did Madame Hocada's husband die?
4. Who greeted Jo when he brought the sheep in early due to the rain and mud?
5. What vehicle did Benjamin take when he left?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who visits Jo at the very end of the book?
2. What happened to the bear that Benjamin raised?
3. What happened to the German troops when the war ended?
4. What is the children's new hiding spot like, and how did they find it?
5. What happens when the Germans arrive?
6. Why was Jo's father allowed to come home?
7. What does Jo do when the German's come to Madame Horcada's house after his Grandpere leaves?
8. What does the corporal confess to Jo, and how does he respond to Jo's proclamation that he was friends with Benjamin and Leah?
9. What happens to Benjamin when the German patrol is near?
10. Why does the Corporal decide to leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a Jew, according to this book. Why were the Germans trying to kill the Jews?
Essay Topic 2
How does life in the village change when the German soldiers move in? How do the people react to the changes, and how do the Germans react to the townspeople?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Leah. What made her come into the house? Why did this make Benjamin angry? How did she react to his anger? How was she comforted?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)