|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hubert help the cave children mingle with the village children?
2. What did the Corporal do when he saw Jo looking scared by the cabin?
3. What did the Corporal talk to the soldiers about?
4. Why did Grandpere choose to tell the secret?
5. Who did Maman want to involve in her plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Benjamin and Leah are sent away, what thought comforts Jo?
2. What happens after the German leave?
3. How does Grandpere help heal the rift between the father and the son?
4. Where does Grandpere go when the Germans come to Madame Horcada's house?
5. What happens to Benjamin when the German patrol is near?
6. Why was Jo's father allowed to come home?
7. What does Jo do when the German's come to Madame Horcada's house after his Grandpere leaves?
8. What is Jo's father's personality like when he gets back home?
9. What occurred shortly after Benjamin and Leah were taken away and how did this affect Benjamin and Leah?
10. What happened to the German troops when the war ended?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Jo feel about finding Grandpere at Madame Horcada's? How did Grandpere react to seeing him there? What plan did they come up with regarding this situation?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the children's new hiding place and Jo's reaction to it. Describe how Joe related to the children themselves.
Essay Topic 3
The war came on suddenly, radically changing the lives of the villagers. The bear attack came on suddenly, changing Jo's world. Describe how the situations were similar.
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)