|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Jo worried about what the Corporal would see?
2. How did the schoolteacher respond when he was asked if the children could miss a day of school?
3. How did Jo feel about his secret at home?
4. What did the villagers bring up the mountain?
5. What alerted the soldiers on the mountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who came up with the idea for getting the children safe, and why was this surprising?
2. After Benjamin and Leah are sent away, what thought comforts Jo?
3. What does the corporal confess to Jo, and how does he respond to Jo's proclamation that he was friends with Benjamin and Leah?
4. What occurred shortly after Benjamin and Leah were taken away and how did this affect Benjamin and Leah?
5. Who visits Jo at the very end of the book?
6. What happens when the Germans arrive?
7. How does Jo feel about the return of his father?
8. What is the children's new hiding spot like, and how did they find it?
9. What happened to the German troops when the war ended?
10. What is life like for Jo after the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The villagers treated Jo like a hero. How did this make him feel? Did he feel as if he deserved their respect? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Leah and Benjamin had to go into hiding and why they chose this spot.
Essay Topic 3
How does life in the village change when the German soldiers move in? How do the people react to the changes, and how do the Germans react to the townspeople?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)