|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the stranger react when they tell him about the curfew?
2. Why was Grandpere upset?
3. What did Jo do to escape from the pain the war left him with?
4. What does Grandpere admit he is doing with Madame Horcada?
5. What did the Germans find in the house searches?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who came up with the idea for getting the children safe, and why was this surprising?
2. How does Jo feel about the return of his father?
3. What happened when Jo saw Benjamin and Leah in town?
4. Why is the time of year significant to the plan for the children's escape?
5. Why does the Corporal decide to leave?
6. How does the priest's musical talents help the children?
7. What happens to Benjamin when the German patrol is near?
8. Who visits Jo at the very end of the book?
9. What happens while Jo's father is answering the questions?
10. How did Hubert react to the news that the Germans were leaving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plan the family came up with for rescuing the children and getting them to safety. Explain who they needed to include in the plan, how it affected the town, and how it affected the safety of the people involved.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Anya's return and what it signified.
Essay Topic 3
What are the ramifications of Benjamin's injured ankle? How will this affect the children he is trying to get to safety? How does it affect Madame Horcada?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)