|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the Corporal on the mountain?
2. What did Jo's family often do on Sundays?
3. Where did Jo go with the Corporal?
4. Why was Hubert dancing and playing his drum?
5. How did Papa react to the friendship between his family members and the soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Benjamin and Leah are sent away, what thought comforts Jo?
2. What occurred shortly after Benjamin and Leah were taken away and how did this affect Benjamin and Leah?
3. Why does the Corporal decide to leave?
4. What does Jo do when the German's come to Madame Horcada's house after his Grandpere leaves?
5. What does the corporal confess to Jo, and how does he respond to Jo's proclamation that he was friends with Benjamin and Leah?
6. How does the priest's musical talents help the children?
7. What is unnerving about moving up the mountain?
8. What happens to Benjamin when the German patrol is near?
9. What happened to the bear that Benjamin raised?
10. What happens when the Germans arrive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most of the men in the village went off to war. How has this affected the village as a whole? How has it affected Jo? How does he compensate for the loss of his father?
Essay Topic 2
The war came on suddenly, radically changing the lives of the villagers. The bear attack came on suddenly, changing Jo's world. Describe how the situations were similar.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Leah and Benjamin had to go into hiding and why they chose this spot.
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)