|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the Corporal's daughter?
2. What did the Lieutenant ask the people the soldiers brought in?
3. What came out of the woods as they were heading home?
4. Who did Grandpere bring to meet Jo at the family visit?
5. Why was the Corporal on the mountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Germans respond to the sheep herding?
2. What is Jo's father's personality like when he gets back home?
3. What happens while Jo's father is answering the questions?
4. What happens after the German leave?
5. What happened to the German troops when the war ended?
6. Where does Grandpere go when the Germans come to Madame Horcada's house?
7. Who came up with the idea for getting the children safe, and why was this surprising?
8. What happens when the border is in sight?
9. What happened when Jo saw Benjamin and Leah in town?
10. How did Hubert react to the news that the Germans were leaving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Jo joined the Corporal on the search for eagles, he began to see the man in a different manner. How did keep you him at first, and how did his feelings change? How did this add conflict to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plan the family came up with for rescuing the children and getting them to safety. Explain who they needed to include in the plan, how it affected the town, and how it affected the safety of the people involved.
Essay Topic 3
The war came on suddenly, radically changing the lives of the villagers. The bear attack came on suddenly, changing Jo's world. Describe how the situations were similar.
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)