|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Papa does all the following by himself except what?
2. What did Jo do after Benjamin left?
3. How did Maman and Madame Horcada react to each other?
4. How did Papa react to the friendship between his family members and the soldiers?
5. What toy did Jo recognize?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the German leave?
2. Who visits Jo at the very end of the book?
3. Why was Jo's father allowed to come home?
4. What is Jo's father's personality like when he gets back home?
5. What happens when the Germans arrive?
6. What does the corporal confess to Jo, and how does he respond to Jo's proclamation that he was friends with Benjamin and Leah?
7. What is the children's new hiding spot like, and how did they find it?
8. How does the priest's musical talents help the children?
9. After Benjamin and Leah are sent away, what thought comforts Jo?
10. What happens while Jo's father is answering the questions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The villagers treated Jo like a hero. How did this make him feel? Did he feel as if he deserved their respect? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What did the stranger's interactions with the bear cub demonstrate about his own personality?
Essay Topic 3
When Papa came home, he was a different man from when he left. It was difficult for everyone assimilating him back into the household. Describe the effect of his return on everyone in the household, including Papa himself.
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)