|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Lieutenant ask the people the soldiers brought in?
2. How did Laurent feel about his own father?
3. According to Papa, who would divide the animals in the evening?
4. What would the soldiers find in the barn?
5. What does Benjamin do before they leave to drive the sheep up the mountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is life like for Jo after the war?
2. Who visits Jo at the very end of the book?
3. What happened to the bear that Benjamin raised?
4. Who came up with the idea for getting the children safe, and why was this surprising?
5. What happens after the German leave?
6. What does Jo do when the German's come to Madame Horcada's house after his Grandpere leaves?
7. What happens when the Germans arrive?
8. What is the children's new hiding spot like, and how did they find it?
9. What is Jo's father's personality like when he gets back home?
10. What happened when Jo saw Benjamin and Leah in town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did the stranger's interactions with the bear cub demonstrate about his own personality?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plan the family came up with for rescuing the children and getting them to safety. Explain who they needed to include in the plan, how it affected the town, and how it affected the safety of the people involved.
Essay Topic 3
When Papa came home, he was a different man from when he left. It was difficult for everyone assimilating him back into the household. Describe the effect of his return on everyone in the household, including Papa himself.
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)