|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift did Hubert give the Corporal?
2. Why couldn't Jo concentrate in school?
3. How long did the special Mass go?
4. What reputation did Auschwitz have?
5. What kind of music was going to be played at the special Mass?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Grandpere go when the Germans come to Madame Horcada's house?
2. How do the Germans respond to the sheep herding?
3. What occurred shortly after Benjamin and Leah were taken away and how did this affect Benjamin and Leah?
4. What does Jo do when the German's come to Madame Horcada's house after his Grandpere leaves?
5. How does Jo feel about the return of his father?
6. What happens after the German leave?
7. What is Jo's father's personality like when he gets back home?
8. How does Grandpere help heal the rift between the father and the son?
9. After Benjamin and Leah are sent away, what thought comforts Jo?
10. What happens while Jo's father is answering the questions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Jo joined the Corporal on the search for eagles, he began to see the man in a different manner. How did keep you him at first, and how did his feelings change? How did this add conflict to the story?
Essay Topic 2
How does life in the village change when the German soldiers move in? How do the people react to the changes, and how do the Germans react to the townspeople?
Essay Topic 3
What solution does Madame come up with to take care of her financial difficulties? How does Grandpere respond to this solution?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)