|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Madame Horcada say about Maman?
2. How did Maman and Madame Horcada react to each other?
3. What did the Germans find in the house searches?
4. Who did the soldiers bring into the square?
5. Where does Papa spend the summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the corporal confess to Jo, and how does he respond to Jo's proclamation that he was friends with Benjamin and Leah?
2. Why is the time of year significant to the plan for the children's escape?
3. What happens while Jo's father is answering the questions?
4. How did Hubert react to the news that the Germans were leaving?
5. What happens when the border is in sight?
6. What happened when Jo saw Benjamin and Leah in town?
7. What happens when the Germans arrive?
8. How does Grandpere help heal the rift between the father and the son?
9. Who came up with the idea for getting the children safe, and why was this surprising?
10. What does Jo learn before his father arrives home with news about the children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a Jew, according to this book. Why were the Germans trying to kill the Jews?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Leah and Benjamin had to go into hiding and why they chose this spot.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plan the family came up with for rescuing the children and getting them to safety. Explain who they needed to include in the plan, how it affected the town, and how it affected the safety of the people involved.
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)