|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the children hiding?
2. What did the Corporal give Hubert so he could see better?
3. What did the corporal take to remind him of the place?
4. How did Madame Hocada's husband die?
5. What did the Corporal talk to the soldiers about?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Benjamin and Leah are sent away, what thought comforts Jo?
2. What happened to the bear that Benjamin raised?
3. What happened while Jo was out looking for eagles with the Corporal?
4. What happens while Jo's father is answering the questions?
5. How does the Corporal show that he cares about Hubert?
6. How does the priest's musical talents help the children?
7. How did Hubert react to the news that the Germans were leaving?
8. How does Grandpere help heal the rift between the father and the son?
9. Where does Grandpere go when the Germans come to Madame Horcada's house?
10. What is Jo's father's personality like when he gets back home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a Jew, according to this book. Why were the Germans trying to kill the Jews?
Essay Topic 2
What solution does Madame come up with to take care of her financial difficulties? How does Grandpere respond to this solution?
Essay Topic 3
How did Jo feel about Laurent's plan, and why did he do it? What happened after they scared the woman?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)