|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the children hide at the top of the mountain?
2. What did the corporal take to remind him of the place?
3. How did the stranger react when he was told about Jo's work in the household?
4. What did the Lieutenant ask the people the soldiers brought in?
5. What toy did Jo recognize?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is life like for Jo after the war?
2. Why was Jo's father allowed to come home?
3. Where does Grandpere go when the Germans come to Madame Horcada's house?
4. What does Jo do when the German's come to Madame Horcada's house after his Grandpere leaves?
5. After Benjamin and Leah are sent away, what thought comforts Jo?
6. What is unnerving about moving up the mountain?
7. Who came up with the idea for getting the children safe, and why was this surprising?
8. How does the priest's musical talents help the children?
9. How did Hubert react to the news that the Germans were leaving?
10. What happens when the Germans arrive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Leah. What made her come into the house? Why did this make Benjamin angry? How did she react to his anger? How was she comforted?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the children's new hiding place and Jo's reaction to it. Describe how Joe related to the children themselves.
Essay Topic 3
What solution does Madame come up with to take care of her financial difficulties? How does Grandpere respond to this solution?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)