|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Papa spend the summer?
2. What is special about Michael?
3. What happened to the Corporal's daughter?
4. Who greeted Jo when he brought the sheep in early due to the rain and mud?
5. Who did the soldiers bring into the square?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grandpere help heal the rift between the father and the son?
2. Why was Jo's father allowed to come home?
3. How did Hubert react to the news that the Germans were leaving?
4. What does Jo do when the German's come to Madame Horcada's house after his Grandpere leaves?
5. What happens to Benjamin when the German patrol is near?
6. What is the children's new hiding spot like, and how did they find it?
7. How do the Germans respond to the sheep herding?
8. How does Jo feel about the return of his father?
9. What occurred shortly after Benjamin and Leah were taken away and how did this affect Benjamin and Leah?
10. What does Jo learn before his father arrives home with news about the children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The villagers treated Jo like a hero. How did this make him feel? Did he feel as if he deserved their respect? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Leah and Benjamin had to go into hiding and why they chose this spot.
Essay Topic 3
When Jo joined the Corporal on the search for eagles, he began to see the man in a different manner. How did keep you him at first, and how did his feelings change? How did this add conflict to the story?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)