|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Germans find in the house searches?
2. What came out of the woods as they were heading home?
3. How did the stranger react when he was told about Jo's work in the household?
4. How did the schoolteacher respond when he was asked if the children could miss a day of school?
5. What did the Corporal do when he saw Jo looking scared by the cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the German troops when the war ended?
2. What does the corporal confess to Jo, and how does he respond to Jo's proclamation that he was friends with Benjamin and Leah?
3. Where does Grandpere go when the Germans come to Madame Horcada's house?
4. What is the children's new hiding spot like, and how did they find it?
5. What happened when Jo saw Benjamin and Leah in town?
6. How did Hubert react to the news that the Germans were leaving?
7. After Benjamin and Leah are sent away, what thought comforts Jo?
8. What happened while Jo was out looking for eagles with the Corporal?
9. What happens while Jo's father is answering the questions?
10. What is Jo's father's personality like when he gets back home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Jo feel about finding Grandpere at Madame Horcada's? How did Grandpere react to seeing him there? What plan did they come up with regarding this situation?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what happened to Leah and Ben and the children. Their situation was bittersweet yet realistic. Explain the good and bad that came out of the situation.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Anya's return and what it signified.
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)