|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What toy did Jo recognize?
2. What happened to Benjamin and Leah?
3. What is Jo supposed to do to look natural for the soldiers?
4. Why was Jo worried about what the Corporal would see?
5. What would the soldiers find in the barn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Jo's father allowed to come home?
2. What happened while Jo was out looking for eagles with the Corporal?
3. What happened to the German troops when the war ended?
4. How does Jo feel about the return of his father?
5. How did Hubert react to the news that the Germans were leaving?
6. What does the corporal confess to Jo, and how does he respond to Jo's proclamation that he was friends with Benjamin and Leah?
7. After Benjamin and Leah are sent away, what thought comforts Jo?
8. What happens to Benjamin when the German patrol is near?
9. What happens after the German leave?
10. What is Jo's father's personality like when he gets back home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what happened to Leah and Ben and the children. Their situation was bittersweet yet realistic. Explain the good and bad that came out of the situation.
Essay Topic 2
What solution does Madame come up with to take care of her financial difficulties? How does Grandpere respond to this solution?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plan the family came up with for rescuing the children and getting them to safety. Explain who they needed to include in the plan, how it affected the town, and how it affected the safety of the people involved.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)