|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hubert chase when they went to the woods?
2. What did the Corporal talk to the soldiers about?
3. Who did Grandpere bring to meet Jo at the family visit?
4. How did Benjamin and Leah react when Jo saw them?
5. What did Jo do after Benjamin left?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jo feel about the return of his father?
2. What does Jo learn before his father arrives home with news about the children?
3. What occurred shortly after Benjamin and Leah were taken away and how did this affect Benjamin and Leah?
4. Why was Jo's father allowed to come home?
5. What happens while Jo's father is answering the questions?
6. What happens when the Germans arrive?
7. Where does Grandpere go when the Germans come to Madame Horcada's house?
8. What happened while Jo was out looking for eagles with the Corporal?
9. Who came up with the idea for getting the children safe, and why was this surprising?
10. How does Grandpere help heal the rift between the father and the son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Madame Horcada viewed by the village children? What did Jo learn about her as he spied through the window?
Essay Topic 2
What are the ramifications of Benjamin's injured ankle? How will this affect the children he is trying to get to safety? How does it affect Madame Horcada?
Essay Topic 3
Most of the men in the village went off to war. How has this affected the village as a whole? How has it affected Jo? How does he compensate for the loss of his father?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)