|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Rouf found?
2. What does the man make the boy promise?
3. Why was the widow concerned about Benjamin?
4. How old was Jo when the book began?
5. What did Jo do when he saw what Rouf was barking at?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jo goes to warn the widow about the soldiers, what does he discover?
2. What is the situation at Madame Horcada's regarding the Jews?
3. Jo vaguely remembers seeing the man once before. What was that situation?
4. What happens when Madam Horcada comes into town?
5. How do the townspeople get along with the soldiers?
6. What does Jo have to prove to the widow, and how does he prove it when questioned about what he saw in the barn?
7. How do the townspeople know when to gather together for important occasions?
8. Why did Jo follow the man, and what did he discover?
9. Why were the soldiers in the town?
10. Why does Hubert go to school een though he is too old and what does he do there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Leah and Benjamin had to go into hiding and why they chose this spot.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plan the family came up with for rescuing the children and getting them to safety. Explain who they needed to include in the plan, how it affected the town, and how it affected the safety of the people involved.
Essay Topic 3
When Papa came home, he was a different man from when he left. It was difficult for everyone assimilating him back into the household. Describe the effect of his return on everyone in the household, including Papa himself.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)