|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the man hiding?
2. Where did Jo think Benjamin and Leah might be hiding if they hadn't been caught?
3. What did Hubert make in the back of the classroom?
4. What kind of work did Hubert do?
5. What payment would Jo receive for his work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jo promise to keep Benjamin and Leah as a secret?
2. What is Madam Horcada like?
3. What happens when Madam Horcada comes into town?
4. What issues does Madame Horcada face as she tries to protect the Jews?
5. What do the Germans do that upsets the villagers?
6. What is unusual about the meeting with the man and his introduction?
7. What did the villagers have to do when the Germans arrived?
8. Why did Jo follow the man, and what did he discover?
9. Why was Benjamin waiting at the farm?
10. How does Laurent get revenge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a Jew, according to this book. Why were the Germans trying to kill the Jews?
Essay Topic 2
The villagers treated Jo like a hero. How did this make him feel? Did he feel as if he deserved their respect? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How was Madame Horcada viewed by the village children? What did Jo learn about her as he spied through the window?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)