|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jo feel about the Widow Horcada?
2. What did Grandpere do when he saw Widow Horcada?
3. What does the widow know about Jo's father?
4. Why did the widow need more supplies?
5. What did the man agree to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grandfather react to the German's request?
2. Why didn't Benjamin and Leah come home?
3. What do the Germans do that upsets the villagers?
4. Why does Jo go up to the widow's house and what does he overhear?
5. How does Laurent get revenge?
6. Who is Leah, and why is she there?
7. What did the villagers have to do when the Germans arrived?
8. What issues does Madame Horcada face as she tries to protect the Jews?
9. How do the townspeople know when to gather together for important occasions?
10. Why was Benjamin waiting at the farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the children's new hiding place and Jo's reaction to it. Describe how Joe related to the children themselves.
Essay Topic 2
What is a Jew, according to this book. Why were the Germans trying to kill the Jews?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Leah and Benjamin had to go into hiding and why they chose this spot.
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)