|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Jo's nightmares about?
2. How did Grandpere respond to the widow's offer?
3. How many children were in the barn when the cow went dry?
4. Who was Christine?
5. Where did Jo think Benjamin and Leah might be hiding if they hadn't been caught?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jo feel about his father?
2. What happens when Madam Horcada comes into town?
3. Why didn't Benjamin and Leah come home?
4. What is Madam Horcada like?
5. What will happen to people who help the Jews, according to the soldiers?
6. How does Grandfather react to the German's request?
7. Jo vaguely remembers seeing the man once before. What was that situation?
8. What is the situation at Madame Horcada's regarding the Jews?
9. What is Benjamin doing while he is waiting for Anya?
10. How does Madame Horcada ensure that the boy can still visit her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Leah. What made her come into the house? Why did this make Benjamin angry? How did she react to his anger? How was she comforted?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plan the family came up with for rescuing the children and getting them to safety. Explain who they needed to include in the plan, how it affected the town, and how it affected the safety of the people involved.
Essay Topic 3
The villagers treated Jo like a hero. How did this make him feel? Did he feel as if he deserved their respect? Why or why not?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)