|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were Benjamin and Leah running the night before when he was injured?
2. What did Hubert make in the back of the classroom?
3. Who was Jo's companion as he watched the sheep?
4. What did Grandpere do when he saw Widow Horcada?
5. What had Rouf found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the meeting with the man and his introduction?
2. Who is Leah, and why is she there?
3. Why was Benjamin waiting at the farm?
4. Why does Jo go up to the widow's house and what does he overhear?
5. When Jo goes to warn the widow about the soldiers, what does he discover?
6. What happens to Jo when he goes to warn Madame Horcada?
7. What is Benjamin doing while he is waiting for Anya?
8. What happens when Madam Horcada comes into town?
9. How does Madame Horcada ensure that the boy can still visit her?
10. What do the Germans do that upsets the villagers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the children's new hiding place and Jo's reaction to it. Describe how Joe related to the children themselves.
Essay Topic 2
The war came on suddenly, radically changing the lives of the villagers. The bear attack came on suddenly, changing Jo's world. Describe how the situations were similar.
Essay Topic 3
The villagers treated Jo like a hero. How did this make him feel? Did he feel as if he deserved their respect? Why or why not?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)