|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Laurent ask Jo to be his accomplice?
2. What did Grandpere put on the rifle pile?
3. What did Hubert make in the back of the classroom?
4. How does Jo get the Corporal to stop helping him?
5. What does the man say about the cub's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Madame Horcada ensure that the boy can still visit her?
2. How do the townspeople know when to gather together for important occasions?
3. What issues does Madame Horcada face as she tries to protect the Jews?
4. Why was Benjamin waiting at the farm?
5. How does Grandfather react to the German's request?
6. Jo vaguely remembers seeing the man once before. What was that situation?
7. What is Madam Horcada like?
8. Why does Jo go up to the widow's house and what does he overhear?
9. When Jo goes to warn the widow about the soldiers, what does he discover?
10. Why does Jo go back to the mountains after the bear is caught, and what does he find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did the stranger's interactions with the bear cub demonstrate about his own personality?
Essay Topic 2
How was Madame Horcada viewed by the village children? What did Jo learn about her as he spied through the window?
Essay Topic 3
The villagers treated Jo like a hero. How did this make him feel? Did he feel as if he deserved their respect? Why or why not?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)