|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jo do when he saw what Rouf was barking at?
2. How were the townspeople called together?
3. How did Jo know where to go?
4. Why is the man hiding?
5. How does the widow want the boy to treat her in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jo when he goes to warn Madame Horcada?
2. When Jo goes to warn the widow about the soldiers, what does he discover?
3. Why did Jo follow the man, and what did he discover?
4. What do the Germans do that upsets the villagers?
5. Why does Jo promise to keep Benjamin and Leah as a secret?
6. Why were the soldiers in the town?
7. How does Laurent get revenge?
8. What is Madam Horcada like?
9. How do the townspeople get along with the soldiers?
10. What does Jo have to prove to the widow, and how does he prove it when questioned about what he saw in the barn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the children's new hiding place and Jo's reaction to it. Describe how Joe related to the children themselves.
Essay Topic 2
What solution does Madame come up with to take care of her financial difficulties? How does Grandpere respond to this solution?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Leah. What made her come into the house? Why did this make Benjamin angry? How did she react to his anger? How was she comforted?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)