|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Jo's nightmares about?
2. Why did Jo have to hurry to find Benjamin?
3. The soldiers were trying to prevent people's escape to where?
4. How were the townspeople called together?
5. How did Jo know where to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the border is in sight?
2. Why is the time of year significant to the plan for the children's escape?
3. How does the priest's musical talents help the children?
4. What does the corporal confess to Jo, and how does he respond to Jo's proclamation that he was friends with Benjamin and Leah?
5. Why does Jo promise to keep Benjamin and Leah as a secret?
6. What does Jo have to prove to the widow, and how does he prove it when questioned about what he saw in the barn?
7. How does Jo feel about the return of his father?
8. What is unusual about the meeting with the man and his introduction?
9. What is unnerving about moving up the mountain?
10. Why does the Corporal decide to leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What solution does Madame come up with to take care of her financial difficulties? How does Grandpere respond to this solution?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Anya's return and what it signified.
Essay Topic 3
What is a Jew, according to this book. Why were the Germans trying to kill the Jews?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)