|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the soldiers gain acceptance in the village?
2. The soldiers were trying to prevent people's escape to where?
3. What did Hubert make in the back of the classroom?
4. What was unique about Hubert?
5. What did Jo do after the man walked off?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Benjamin and Leah come home?
2. What does Jo have to prove to the widow, and how does he prove it when questioned about what he saw in the barn?
3. What job did Jo do , and what advice did his father give him regarding the job?
4. How does Laurent get revenge?
5. Why does Jo go back to the mountains after the bear is caught, and what does he find?
6. What is Benjamin doing while he is waiting for Anya?
7. Who is Leah, and why is she there?
8. When Jo goes to warn the widow about the soldiers, what does he discover?
9. How do the townspeople know when to gather together for important occasions?
10. What happens when Madam Horcada comes into town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does life in the village change when the German soldiers move in? How do the people react to the changes, and how do the Germans react to the townspeople?
Essay Topic 2
When Jo joined the Corporal on the search for eagles, he began to see the man in a different manner. How did keep you him at first, and how did his feelings change? How did this add conflict to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Anya's return and what it signified.
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)