|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the widow know about Jo's father?
2. What was a sign of spring in the village?
3. How did Jo feel about the Widow Horcada?
4. What did Laurent find on the class field trip?
5. Why were Benjamin and Leah running the night before when he was injured?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jo promise to keep Benjamin and Leah as a secret?
2. What did the villagers have to do when the Germans arrived?
3. What happens to Benjamin when the German patrol is near?
4. How does Grandfather react to the German's request?
5. What happens when Madam Horcada comes into town?
6. What will happen to people who help the Jews, according to the soldiers?
7. Why does Hubert go to school een though he is too old and what does he do there?
8. Why did Jo follow the man, and what did he discover?
9. How do the townspeople know when to gather together for important occasions?
10. What job did Jo do , and what advice did his father give him regarding the job?
Essay Topic 1
The war came on suddenly, radically changing the lives of the villagers. The bear attack came on suddenly, changing Jo's world. Describe how the situations were similar.
Essay Topic 2
What did the stranger's interactions with the bear cub demonstrate about his own personality?
Essay Topic 3
What is a Jew, according to this book. Why were the Germans trying to kill the Jews?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)