|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jo get the Corporal to stop helping him?
2. Who came to help Jo?
3. How did Grandpere respond to the widow's offer?
4. Where did Grandpere hide the hunting rifle?
5. What does the man say about the cub's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Leah, and why is she there?
2. When Jo goes to warn the widow about the soldiers, what does he discover?
3. Why does Hubert go to school een though he is too old and what does he do there?
4. Why does Jo go up to the widow's house and what does he overhear?
5. How do the townspeople get along with the soldiers?
6. What does Jo have to prove to the widow, and how does he prove it when questioned about what he saw in the barn?
7. What issues does Madame Horcada face as she tries to protect the Jews?
8. Why didn't Benjamin and Leah come home?
9. How does Grandfather react to the German's request?
10. What is the situation at Madame Horcada's regarding the Jews?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a Jew, according to this book. Why were the Germans trying to kill the Jews?
Essay Topic 2
The villagers treated Jo like a hero. How did this make him feel? Did he feel as if he deserved their respect? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does life in the village change when the German soldiers move in? How do the people react to the changes, and how do the Germans react to the townspeople?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)