|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impressed the widow about the boy?
2. Why did Jo have to hurry to find Benjamin?
3. Where did Jo think Benjamin and Leah might be hiding if they hadn't been caught?
4. Where were Benjamin and Leah hiding?
5. What did Jo say when they asked him if the shoe was the only thing he found?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jo follow the man, and what did he discover?
2. Who is Leah, and why is she there?
3. How does Grandfather react to the German's request?
4. Why does Hubert go to school een though he is too old and what does he do there?
5. How does Jo feel about his father?
6. When Jo goes to warn the widow about the soldiers, what does he discover?
7. What will happen to people who help the Jews, according to the soldiers?
8. Jo vaguely remembers seeing the man once before. What was that situation?
9. Why were the soldiers in the town?
10. What did the villagers have to do when the Germans arrived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a Jew, according to this book. Why were the Germans trying to kill the Jews?
Essay Topic 2
How did Jo feel about Laurent's plan, and why did he do it? What happened after they scared the woman?
Essay Topic 3
The war came on suddenly, radically changing the lives of the villagers. The bear attack came on suddenly, changing Jo's world. Describe how the situations were similar.
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)