|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jo feel about the Widow Horcada?
2. What relationship does the man have to the widow?
3. why did Jo go back to the widow's house?
4. How did they know the rescue was successful?
5. Who had sent the family a letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Germans do that upsets the villagers?
2. What issues does Madame Horcada face as she tries to protect the Jews?
3. Why does Jo promise to keep Benjamin and Leah as a secret?
4. Why did Jo follow the man, and what did he discover?
5. Why does Jo go back to the mountains after the bear is caught, and what does he find?
6. What is unusual about the meeting with the man and his introduction?
7. What happens when Madam Horcada comes into town?
8. How do the townspeople get along with the soldiers?
9. When Jo goes to warn the widow about the soldiers, what does he discover?
10. What does Jo have to prove to the widow, and how does he prove it when questioned about what he saw in the barn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the scene in the barn. What was Jo expecting to find, and what did he actually find? How did he react to the find?
Essay Topic 2
How was Madame Horcada viewed by the village children? What did Jo learn about her as he spied through the window?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Leah. What made her come into the house? Why did this make Benjamin angry? How did she react to his anger? How was she comforted?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)