|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were the townspeople called together?
2. Who had sent the family a letter?
3. What excuse did Jo give at home regarding his lateness?
4. How did the widow and Benjamin plan to get what they needed?
5. What payment would Jo receive for his work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Benjamin and Leah come home?
2. What do the Germans do that upsets the villagers?
3. What happens when Madam Horcada comes into town?
4. Why does Jo promise to keep Benjamin and Leah as a secret?
5. What has happened to most of the men in the town?
6. What job did Jo do , and what advice did his father give him regarding the job?
7. Jo vaguely remembers seeing the man once before. What was that situation?
8. How does Madame Horcada ensure that the boy can still visit her?
9. What is unusual about the meeting with the man and his introduction?
10. Why does Jo go back to the mountains after the bear is caught, and what does he find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the children's new hiding place and Jo's reaction to it. Describe how Joe related to the children themselves.
Essay Topic 2
How was Madame Horcada viewed by the village children? What did Jo learn about her as he spied through the window?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Leah. What made her come into the house? Why did this make Benjamin angry? How did she react to his anger? How was she comforted?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)