|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Laurent ask Jo to be his accomplice?
2. How often should the boy come check on the widow?
3. Why were the Germans setting all the rules?
4. How did Jo know where to go?
5. What payment would Jo receive for his work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hubert go to school een though he is too old and what does he do there?
2. How do the townspeople get along with the soldiers?
3. Why does Jo go back to the mountains after the bear is caught, and what does he find?
4. What is unusual about the meeting with the man and his introduction?
5. What does Jo have to prove to the widow, and how does he prove it when questioned about what he saw in the barn?
6. How does Grandfather react to the German's request?
7. How do the townspeople know when to gather together for important occasions?
8. What do the Germans do that upsets the villagers?
9. How does Jo feel about his father?
10. Why was Benjamin waiting at the farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Jo feel about finding Grandpere at Madame Horcada's? How did Grandpere react to seeing him there? What plan did they come up with regarding this situation?
Essay Topic 2
What is a Jew, according to this book. Why were the Germans trying to kill the Jews?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Leah and Benjamin had to go into hiding and why they chose this spot.
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)