|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Benjamin, Leah, and Jo risk cutting across the open field?
2. How would Benjamin disguise himself at the farm?
3. Where did Jo find the shoe?
4. Who did the townspeople thank?
5. What did Hubert think of the soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grandfather react to the German's request?
2. How does Laurent get revenge?
3. How do the townspeople know when to gather together for important occasions?
4. What job did Jo do , and what advice did his father give him regarding the job?
5. Why were the soldiers in the town?
6. What did the villagers have to do when the Germans arrived?
7. Why does Hubert go to school een though he is too old and what does he do there?
8. Why didn't Benjamin and Leah come home?
9. What do the Germans do that upsets the villagers?
10. How does Madame Horcada ensure that the boy can still visit her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Leah and Benjamin had to go into hiding and why they chose this spot.
Essay Topic 2
How was Madame Horcada viewed by the village children? What did Jo learn about her as he spied through the window?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the children's new hiding place and Jo's reaction to it. Describe how Joe related to the children themselves.
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)