|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Jo find at the widow's house when he went to warn her about the home inspections?
2. What was Grandpere talking with the German soldier about?
3. Who had sent the family a letter?
4. Why was the widow concerned about Benjamin?
5. What kind of work did Hubert do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to most of the men in the town?
2. Who is Leah, and why is she there?
3. What is Madam Horcada like?
4. How do the townspeople know when to gather together for important occasions?
5. Why didn't Benjamin and Leah come home?
6. What do the Germans do that upsets the villagers?
7. How does Madame Horcada ensure that the boy can still visit her?
8. Why was Benjamin waiting at the farm?
9. What will happen to people who help the Jews, according to the soldiers?
10. What is the situation at Madame Horcada's regarding the Jews?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Papa came home, he was a different man from when he left. It was difficult for everyone assimilating him back into the household. Describe the effect of his return on everyone in the household, including Papa himself.
Essay Topic 2
The war came on suddenly, radically changing the lives of the villagers. The bear attack came on suddenly, changing Jo's world. Describe how the situations were similar.
Essay Topic 3
How was Madame Horcada viewed by the village children? What did Jo learn about her as he spied through the window?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)