|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the widow and Benjamin plan to get what they needed?
2. What did the children do?
3. What did the widow ask if Jo could do?
4. Why were the Germans setting all the rules?
5. What did the strange man bring?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Grandpere go when the Germans come to Madame Horcada's house?
2. What issues does Madame Horcada face as she tries to protect the Jews?
3. What happens to Benjamin when the German patrol is near?
4. What has happened to most of the men in the town?
5. What happens when the Germans arrive?
6. How does Jo feel about the return of his father?
7. What is Madam Horcada like?
8. Why didn't Benjamin and Leah come home?
9. Why does Jo go up to the widow's house and what does he overhear?
10. Why was Benjamin waiting at the farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Leah and Benjamin had to go into hiding and why they chose this spot.
Essay Topic 2
Most of the men in the village went off to war. How has this affected the village as a whole? How has it affected Jo? How does he compensate for the loss of his father?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what happened to Leah and Ben and the children. Their situation was bittersweet yet realistic. Explain the good and bad that came out of the situation.
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)