|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Maman say about Hubert's actions?
2. Where did Jo find the shoe?
3. Who comes back to visit the man?
4. What did Grandpere put on the rifle pile?
5. How does Jo get the Corporal to stop helping him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the villagers have to do when the Germans arrived?
2. Who is Leah, and why is she there?
3. What do the Germans do that upsets the villagers?
4. Why does Hubert go to school een though he is too old and what does he do there?
5. Why did Jo follow the man, and what did he discover?
6. How does Jo feel about his father?
7. What happens when Madam Horcada comes into town?
8. How does Madame Horcada ensure that the boy can still visit her?
9. Why does Jo promise to keep Benjamin and Leah as a secret?
10. How do the townspeople get along with the soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what happened to Leah and Ben and the children. Their situation was bittersweet yet realistic. Explain the good and bad that came out of the situation.
Essay Topic 2
How does life in the village change when the German soldiers move in? How do the people react to the changes, and how do the Germans react to the townspeople?
Essay Topic 3
How did Jo feel about Laurent's plan, and why did he do it? What happened after they scared the woman?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)