|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Anya?
2. Who had sent the family a letter?
3. How did Grandpere respond to the widow's offer?
4. Who comes back to visit the man?
5. Why did Laurent ask Jo to be his accomplice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Benjamin waiting at the farm?
2. Why does Hubert go to school een though he is too old and what does he do there?
3. What is Benjamin doing while he is waiting for Anya?
4. What happens when Madam Horcada comes into town?
5. What is Madam Horcada like?
6. How does Madame Horcada ensure that the boy can still visit her?
7. What do the Germans do that upsets the villagers?
8. What issues does Madame Horcada face as she tries to protect the Jews?
9. Why does Jo go up to the widow's house and what does he overhear?
10. Who is Leah, and why is she there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what happened to Leah and Ben and the children. Their situation was bittersweet yet realistic. Explain the good and bad that came out of the situation.
Essay Topic 2
When Papa came home, he was a different man from when he left. It was difficult for everyone assimilating him back into the household. Describe the effect of his return on everyone in the household, including Papa himself.
Essay Topic 3
Most of the men in the village went off to war. How has this affected the village as a whole? How has it affected Jo? How does he compensate for the loss of his father?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)