|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often should the boy come check on the widow?
2. What did Jo and Laurent pretend to be?
3. What did Jo do after the man walked off?
4. How did the soldiers gain acceptance in the village?
5. Who did Jo encounter as he looked for Benjamin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Jo saw Benjamin and Leah in town?
2. After Benjamin and Leah are sent away, what thought comforts Jo?
3. How did Hubert react to the news that the Germans were leaving?
4. How does Madame Horcada ensure that the boy can still visit her?
5. Why does Jo promise to keep Benjamin and Leah as a secret?
6. What happens when the border is in sight?
7. What does Jo have to prove to the widow, and how does he prove it when questioned about what he saw in the barn?
8. How do the townspeople know when to gather together for important occasions?
9. What happens when the Germans arrive?
10. How does the priest's musical talents help the children?
Essay Topic 1
What did the stranger's interactions with the bear cub demonstrate about his own personality?
Essay Topic 2
What solution does Madame come up with to take care of her financial difficulties? How does Grandpere respond to this solution?
Essay Topic 3
When Papa came home, he was a different man from when he left. It was difficult for everyone assimilating him back into the household. Describe the effect of his return on everyone in the household, including Papa himself.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)