|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse did Jo give at home regarding his lateness?
2. What did Hubert make in the back of the classroom?
3. Who comes back to visit the man?
4. What new rule did the Germans initiate in the town when they moved in?
5. What does the man make the boy promise?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jo goes to warn the widow about the soldiers, what does he discover?
2. How does Madame Horcada ensure that the boy can still visit her?
3. What is the situation at Madame Horcada's regarding the Jews?
4. Why were the soldiers in the town?
5. How does Grandfather react to the German's request?
6. What is unusual about the meeting with the man and his introduction?
7. How does Jo feel about his father?
8. What do the Germans do that upsets the villagers?
9. Why did Jo follow the man, and what did he discover?
10. What has happened to most of the men in the town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does life in the village change when the German soldiers move in? How do the people react to the changes, and how do the Germans react to the townspeople?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Anya's return and what it signified.
Essay Topic 3
What did the stranger's interactions with the bear cub demonstrate about his own personality?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)