|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Corporal talk to the soldiers about?
(a) The previous war
(b) How much he liked the villagers
(c) The eagles and the nest
(d) Old Germany
2. What was happening to the Germans?
(a) They were being driven out of Russia and Africa.
(b) They were becoming depressed.
(c) They were gaining in strength.
(d) They were bullying the townspeople.
3. Papa does all the following by himself except what?
4. How did Papa react after hearing what Jo was doing?
(a) He felt remorse for his previous actions.
(b) He was nervous for his son.
(c) He was angry at his son for putting the family at risk.
(d) He wanted to hurt the Jews.
5. How did Laurent feel about his own father?
(a) He loved him as a hero.
(b) He really missed him.
(c) He didn't like him and didn't want his father to come home.
(d) He thought his father was dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would the soldiers find in the barn?
2. What did the Germans find in the house searches?
3. Why couldn't Jo concentrate in school?
4. What happened to Benjamin and Leah?
5. What did Madame Horcada say about Maman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurred shortly after Benjamin and Leah were taken away and how did this affect Benjamin and Leah?
2. What is life like for Jo after the war?
3. What happens when the border is in sight?
4. What does Jo do when the German's come to Madame Horcada's house after his Grandpere leaves?
5. How does Grandpere help heal the rift between the father and the son?
6. What does Jo learn before his father arrives home with news about the children?
7. Who visits Jo at the very end of the book?
8. How does the Corporal show that he cares about Hubert?
9. What happens when the Germans arrive?
10. What happened to the bear that Benjamin raised?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)