|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hubert chase when they went to the woods?
(b) A wild boar
(c) The dog
(d) A bear
2. What did Hubert do as Jo was passing by the soldiers?
(a) He told them about the children.
(b) He began running in the other direction.
(c) He pretended to be a bear, distracting the soldiers.
(d) He spat at them.
3. What did the Corporal give Hubert as a gift?
(a) A new drum
(b) The binoculars
(c) A gun
(d) A loaf of bread
4. How did Madame Hocada's husband die?
(a) He was ill.
(b) He was in a farm accident.
(c) He was killed in the last war.
(d) He was murdered by a neighbor.
5. Where were the children hiding?
(a) Under the roots of a large tree
(b) In a cave
(c) Under the floorboards
(d) Behind rocks
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jo's sister react to the stranger?
2. Why was Grandpere upset?
3. What did Jo do to escape from the pain the war left him with?
4. What vehicle did Benjamin take when he left?
5. Why couldn't Jo concentrate in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grandpere help heal the rift between the father and the son?
2. How did Hubert react to the news that the Germans were leaving?
3. What happened to the German troops when the war ended?
4. Why is the time of year significant to the plan for the children's escape?
5. What happens while Jo's father is answering the questions?
6. What happens when the Germans arrive?
7. How does Jo feel about the return of his father?
8. What happens to Benjamin when the German patrol is near?
9. What does Jo do when the German's come to Madame Horcada's house after his Grandpere leaves?
10. What occurred shortly after Benjamin and Leah were taken away and how did this affect Benjamin and Leah?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)