|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reputation did Auschwitz have?
(a) It was a death camp.
(b) It was more like a hotel than a camp.
(c) It was a labor camp.
(d) It treated prisoners well.
2. What did Jo do after Benjamin left?
(a) He went back to school.
(b) He drifted home.
(c) He ran to Madame Horcada's.
(d) He ran after Benjamin.
3. What did the Corporal talk to the soldiers about?
(a) Old Germany
(b) The eagles and the nest
(c) The previous war
(d) How much he liked the villagers
4. What did Benjamin ask the Lieutenant?
(a) He asked if they could join the army.
(b) He asked if they could sit down.
(c) He asked if they could leave.
(d) He asked if they could have a drink.
5. Where does Papa spend the summer?
(a) In the cabin on the mountain
(b) In Spain
(c) On a boat
(d) Back in the work camp
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Hubert dancing and playing his drum?
2. What is special about Michael?
3. How did the schoolteacher respond when he was asked if the children could miss a day of school?
4. Where were the children hiding?
5. What did Hubert chase when they went to the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jo's father's personality like when he gets back home?
2. Who visits Jo at the very end of the book?
3. What is unnerving about moving up the mountain?
4. What is the children's new hiding spot like, and how did they find it?
5. After Benjamin and Leah are sent away, what thought comforts Jo?
6. How do the Germans respond to the sheep herding?
7. How does Jo feel about the return of his father?
8. What happens to Benjamin when the German patrol is near?
9. Who came up with the idea for getting the children safe, and why was this surprising?
10. What is life like for Jo after the war?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)