|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Maman want to involve in her plan?
(a) The entire village
(c) The Corporal
(d) Just the priest and the schoolteacher
2. How did Papa react to the soldiers?
(a) He was angry and bitter in their presence.
(b) He was thankful for the protection they offered.
(c) They made him depressed.
(d) He kept having flashbacks to his time in the work camp.
3. What vehicle did Benjamin take when he left?
(a) An old car
(b) Army jeep
4. How many children were brought to safety?
5. How did the stranger react when he was told about Jo's work in the household?
(a) His face darkened.
(b) He was appreciative.
(c) He praised Jo.
(d) He was exuberent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What alerted the soldiers on the mountain?
2. How did the schoolteacher respond when he was asked if the children could miss a day of school?
3. What was happening to the Germans?
4. What was the church like on the night of the special Mass?
5. According to Papa, who would divide the animals in the evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the bear that Benjamin raised?
2. What happens after the German leave?
3. Who came up with the idea for getting the children safe, and why was this surprising?
4. Why is the time of year significant to the plan for the children's escape?
5. What happened when Jo saw Benjamin and Leah in town?
6. What happened to the German troops when the war ended?
7. How does Jo feel about the return of his father?
8. What is life like for Jo after the war?
9. What happened while Jo was out looking for eagles with the Corporal?
10. What does Jo learn before his father arrives home with news about the children?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)