|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Madame Horcada say about Maman?
(a) She had spirit.
(b) She had no gumption.
(c) She was too withdrawn.
(d) She was a fine woman.
2. What happened to Leah?
(a) She wouldn't leave Benjamin.
(b) She was hurt as she ran.
(c) She was reunited with her parents.
(d) She was killed by a bear.
3. How did the widow react to the news that the soldiers were coming?
(a) She said they had planned for it.
(b) She passed out.
(c) She ran to get a pitchfork.
(d) She became angry.
4. What did Jo's family often do on Sundays?
(a) They explored the caves.
(b) They hiked in the mountains.
(c) They went to the graveyard.
(d) They had a picnic.
5. How did Benjamin and Leah react when Jo saw them?
(a) They turned away in anger.
(b) They hugged him.
(c) They acted as if they didn't know him.
(d) They laughed at him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jo get for Benjamin?
2. How did Madame Hocada's husband die?
3. Who did Jo see crouching at the edge of the woods?
4. How did the Jewish children blend in with the villagers?
5. Where did Hubert take Jo after they left the school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the German troops when the war ended?
2. Where does Grandpere go when the Germans come to Madame Horcada's house?
3. Why does the Corporal decide to leave?
4. Who visits Jo at the very end of the book?
5. How does Jo feel about the return of his father?
6. What happens while Jo's father is answering the questions?
7. How do the Germans respond to the sheep herding?
8. Why was Jo's father allowed to come home?
9. Who came up with the idea for getting the children safe, and why was this surprising?
10. What happened to the bear that Benjamin raised?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)