|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did the soldiers bring into the square?
(a) Papa and Grandpere
(b) The priest
(c) Madame Horcada
(d) Benjamin and Leah
2. How did Grandpere learn about the children?
(a) The dog led Grandpere to the children.
(b) He threatened the widow until she told him.
(c) He guessed when he was questioning the widow.
(d) He followed Jo.
3. What job did Jo take on after school?
(a) He became a teacher.
(b) He became a naturalist.
(c) He became a full-time shepherd.
(d) He became a soldier.
4. Why did Grandpere choose to tell the secret?
(a) He thought they needed help.
(b) Papa thought his son was betraying him.
(c) Madame Horcada released him from his promise.
(d) He forgot it was supposed to be a secret.
5. How did Jo feel about his secret at home?
(a) He thought maybe he would just share it with one person.
(b) He was uncomfortable with it.
(c) He felt important.
(d) He loved keeping secrets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice did Benjamin give Jo regarding Anya?
2. What did Hubert chase when they went to the woods?
3. What gift did Hubert give the Corporal?
4. Who was the "stranger" in Jo's home?
5. How does the stranger react when they tell him about the curfew?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who visits Jo at the very end of the book?
2. What happens when the Germans arrive?
3. How do the Germans respond to the sheep herding?
4. How does Jo feel about the return of his father?
5. What is the children's new hiding spot like, and how did they find it?
6. How does the priest's musical talents help the children?
7. Why is the time of year significant to the plan for the children's escape?
8. How does Grandpere help heal the rift between the father and the son?
9. What occurred shortly after Benjamin and Leah were taken away and how did this affect Benjamin and Leah?
10. What does Jo do when the German's come to Madame Horcada's house after his Grandpere leaves?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)