|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Corporal give Hubert so he could see better?
(c) A candle
(d) A special light
2. What was Papa like when he came home at curfew each night?
(a) He was triumphant that he got away with breaking the rules.
(b) He was drunk and brooding.
(c) He was nervous.
(d) He was angry and loud.
3. Why couldn't Jo concentrate in school?
(a) Hubert kept talking to him.
(b) He wanted to go help his father with the sheep.
(c) He was worried about the fate of the children?
(d) He was attracted to the girl across from him.
4. Why was Hubert dancing and playing his drum?
(a) Benjamin was coming home.
(b) Anya arrived in town.
(c) It was Jo's birthday.
(d) The war was over.
5. What did the Lieutenant ask Jo?
(a) He asked if Jo was ready to go home.
(b) He asked if Jo would go with them as a guide.
(c) He asked if Jo knew them.
(d) He asked if Jo was hungry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Benjamin and Leah react when Jo saw them?
2. Who did the soldiers bring into the square?
3. How did the stranger react when he was told about Jo's work in the household?
4. What did the Germans find in the house searches?
5. How did Grandpere know about the hiding place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Grandpere go when the Germans come to Madame Horcada's house?
2. What does the corporal confess to Jo, and how does he respond to Jo's proclamation that he was friends with Benjamin and Leah?
3. Why is the time of year significant to the plan for the children's escape?
4. How do the Germans respond to the sheep herding?
5. Who visits Jo at the very end of the book?
6. How does the priest's musical talents help the children?
7. What happened to the German troops when the war ended?
8. What is unnerving about moving up the mountain?
9. Who came up with the idea for getting the children safe, and why was this surprising?
10. What occurred shortly after Benjamin and Leah were taken away and how did this affect Benjamin and Leah?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)