|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reputation did Auschwitz have?
(a) It treated prisoners well.
(b) It was more like a hotel than a camp.
(c) It was a labor camp.
(d) It was a death camp.
2. Why was Grandpere upset?
(a) They took too long with the plan for rescue.
(b) He was upset at himself and the townspeople for just letting the soldiers take them away.
(c) They couldn't find the bear.
(d) The children didn't make it.
3. Who was the "stranger" in Jo's home?
(a) His teacher
(b) The Corporal
(c) His father
4. What job did Jo take on after school?
(a) He became a teacher.
(b) He became a naturalist.
(c) He became a soldier.
(d) He became a full-time shepherd.
5. What did Michael give Jo?
(a) The address for the house where he was going
(b) A chess piece
(c) Some food
(d) A hug
Short Answer Questions
1. What toy did Jo recognize?
2. What did the corporal take to remind him of the place?
3. What happened to Leah?
4. Why couldn't Jo concentrate in school?
5. What did Hubert do as Jo was passing by the soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurred shortly after Benjamin and Leah were taken away and how did this affect Benjamin and Leah?
2. Why is the time of year significant to the plan for the children's escape?
3. What happens when the border is in sight?
4. Why was Jo's father allowed to come home?
5. What happens to Benjamin when the German patrol is near?
6. What happens after the German leave?
7. After Benjamin and Leah are sent away, what thought comforts Jo?
8. How does the Corporal show that he cares about Hubert?
9. What happened to the bear that Benjamin raised?
10. How does Jo feel about the return of his father?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)