|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Benjamin and Leah?
(a) They escaped from the Germans and came home.
(b) Benjamin officially adopted Leah.
(c) They came home after they found Anya.
(d) They died in the concentration camp.
2. How did Grandpere know about the hiding place?
(a) His father used it for smuggling alcohol over the border.
(b) He hid there during the first war.
(c) He found it while hunting.
(d) Madame Horcada showed it to him.
3. What job did Jo take on after school?
(a) He became a teacher.
(b) He became a full-time shepherd.
(c) He became a soldier.
(d) He became a naturalist.
4. Papa does all the following by himself except what?
5. How did Jo's sister react to the stranger?
(a) She wanted to stay right next to him.
(b) She ran up to him and hugged him.
(c) She wouldn't stay in the same room as him.
(d) She was scared of him at first.
Short Answer Questions
1. What danger did the villagers face as they went up the mountain?
2. What did the Lieutenant ask Jo?
3. Where does Papa spend the summer?
4. What did Madame Horcada say about Maman?
5. Who did Grandpere bring to meet Jo at the family visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the corporal confess to Jo, and how does he respond to Jo's proclamation that he was friends with Benjamin and Leah?
2. What happens after the German leave?
3. Who came up with the idea for getting the children safe, and why was this surprising?
4. How did Hubert react to the news that the Germans were leaving?
5. Why was Jo's father allowed to come home?
6. What happened when Jo saw Benjamin and Leah in town?
7. Where does Grandpere go when the Germans come to Madame Horcada's house?
8. Who visits Jo at the very end of the book?
9. After Benjamin and Leah are sent away, what thought comforts Jo?
10. What happens when the border is in sight?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)