|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Leah?
(a) She was hurt as she ran.
(b) She was killed by a bear.
(c) She was reunited with her parents.
(d) She wouldn't leave Benjamin.
2. What did Michael give Jo?
(a) The address for the house where he was going
(b) A chess piece
(c) Some food
(d) A hug
3. How did the villagers treat the soldiers after Benjamin left?
(a) They ignored the soldiers.
(b) With hostility
(c) They declared themselves eternal friends.
(d) They were very affectionate.
4. How did Papa react to the friendship between his family members and the soldiers?
(a) He thought it was natural in their situation.
(b) He was was very angry and hurt.
(c) He understood it even if he didn't agree with it.
(d) He thought it was wise.
5. What did the Lieutenant ask the people the soldiers brought in?
(a) He asked if they were injured.
(b) He asked if they were Jews.
(c) He asked if they were from Spain.
(d) He asked if they had anyone else with them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was happening to the Germans?
2. Who did Maman want to involve in her plan?
3. What did Papa and Grandpere do during the special Mass?
4. What did the Corporal do when he saw Jo looking scared by the cabin?
5. What did Jo get for Benjamin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened while Jo was out looking for eagles with the Corporal?
2. What does Jo do when the German's come to Madame Horcada's house after his Grandpere leaves?
3. What happened when Jo saw Benjamin and Leah in town?
4. How do the Germans respond to the sheep herding?
5. After Benjamin and Leah are sent away, what thought comforts Jo?
6. What happened to the bear that Benjamin raised?
7. How does Jo feel about the return of his father?
8. What happened to the German troops when the war ended?
9. Who came up with the idea for getting the children safe, and why was this surprising?
10. What does the corporal confess to Jo, and how does he respond to Jo's proclamation that he was friends with Benjamin and Leah?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)