|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrived in the village while Jo was gone?
(a) His father
(c) German soldiers
2. How did Maman and Grandpere respond when Jo asked them why the Germans wanted to kill the Jews?
(a) They refused to talk or look at him until he changed the subject.
(b) They didn't know, and they said the Germans made up their rules as they went along.
(c) They said Hitler was jealous of the Jews since they were God's Chosen People.
(d) They told him to ask questions like that.
3. Who helped Jo with the sheep after the soldiers came to town?
(a) His sister
(b) His mother
(c) The widow
(d) His grandfather
4. Why didn't Jo worry about the sheep?
(a) He knew Hubert would take care of them and bring them home.
(b) They could fend for themselves.
(c) He hated them anyway.
(d) He knew they would wander home.
5. Who comes back to visit the man?
(b) His daughter
(c) The bear
(d) His wife
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children were in the barn when the cow went dry?
2. What relationship does the man have to the widow?
3. Why is the man hiding?
4. Why was Jo able to go to the widow's house?
5. Where were Benjamin and Leah hiding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jo when he goes to warn Madame Horcada?
2. Why does Jo promise to keep Benjamin and Leah as a secret?
3. What is the situation at Madame Horcada's regarding the Jews?
4. Why did Jo follow the man, and what did he discover?
5. What is Madam Horcada like?
6. How does Madame Horcada ensure that the boy can still visit her?
7. What issues does Madame Horcada face as she tries to protect the Jews?
8. What happens when Madam Horcada comes into town?
9. How do the townspeople know when to gather together for important occasions?
10. What do the Germans do that upsets the villagers?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)