|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were Benjamin and Leah running the night before when he was injured?
(a) They were chasing some Jewish children.
(b) They wanted the exercise.
(c) They were having a race to the border.
(d) There were soldiers everywhere.
2. What kind of work did Hubert do?
(a) He was shoddy.
(b) He was meticulous in documenting every detail.
(c) He took his task very seriously.
(d) He goofed around, but still got the work done.
3. How did the soldiers gain acceptance in the village?
(a) They helped kill a bear.
(b) They had a lot of money and hired people who needed jobs.
(c) They helped the farmers.
(d) They made Hubert happy.
4. What did Jo do when he saw what Rouf was barking at?
(a) He started chasing after the animals.
(b) He grabbed his gun.
(c) He jumped into the water.
(d) He ran for help.
5. How did Maman and Grandpere respond when Jo asked them why the Germans wanted to kill the Jews?
(a) They told him to ask questions like that.
(b) They refused to talk or look at him until he changed the subject.
(c) They didn't know, and they said the Germans made up their rules as they went along.
(d) They said Hitler was jealous of the Jews since they were God's Chosen People.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the townspeople thank?
2. What did Grandpere put on the rifle pile?
3. Why hadn't Benjamin come home?
4. How many children were in the barn when the cow went dry?
5. What was the man hiding in the barn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jo follow the man, and what did he discover?
2. Why does Jo go back to the mountains after the bear is caught, and what does he find?
3. What job did Jo do , and what advice did his father give him regarding the job?
4. How do the townspeople know when to gather together for important occasions?
5. Jo vaguely remembers seeing the man once before. What was that situation?
6. Why does Jo promise to keep Benjamin and Leah as a secret?
7. How does Madame Horcada ensure that the boy can still visit her?
8. Why does Jo go up to the widow's house and what does he overhear?
9. Why was Benjamin waiting at the farm?
10. Why didn't Benjamin and Leah come home?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)