|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the widow and Benjamin plan to get what they needed?
(a) They were going to plant a large garden.
(b) They were going to sell the pigs to Grandpere.
(c) They were going to ask Jo to steal for them.
(d) They wanted Jo to beg the soldiers for food.
2. How did they know the rescue was successful?
(a) They heard a shot then watched a triumphant procession as they returned.
(b) Grandpere brought the sheep home.
(c) It was printed in the newspaper.
(d) It wasn't successful. They came home silent and depressed.
3. How did the soldiers gain acceptance in the village?
(a) They had a lot of money and hired people who needed jobs.
(b) They made Hubert happy.
(c) They helped the farmers.
(d) They helped kill a bear.
4. Who did Jo encounter as he looked for Benjamin?
(b) The corporal
(c) A German patrol
(d) His sister
5. Why was Rouf barking?
(a) The sheep were all wandering off.
(b) A bear was coming by the sheep.
(c) Strangers were coming near the field.
(d) One of the sheep was drowning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of work did Hubert do?
2. Where did Grandpere hide the hunting rifle?
3. Why were Benjamin and Leah running the night before when he was injured?
4. How does the man introduce himself?
5. What was the man hiding in the barn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jo follow the man, and what did he discover?
2. What will happen to people who help the Jews, according to the soldiers?
3. What happens when Madam Horcada comes into town?
4. What has happened to most of the men in the town?
5. Why does Jo promise to keep Benjamin and Leah as a secret?
6. What is unusual about the meeting with the man and his introduction?
7. What does Jo have to prove to the widow, and how does he prove it when questioned about what he saw in the barn?
8. What job did Jo do , and what advice did his father give him regarding the job?
9. Why does Jo go up to the widow's house and what does he overhear?
10. What is Madam Horcada like?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)