|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the widow know about Jo's father?
(a) She knows that he is coming home soon.
(b) She knows he is dead.
(c) She knows that he is a vegetarian.
(d) She knows he is a prisoner-of-war.
2. How often should the boy come check on the widow?
(a) He should never go back.
(b) He should check in daily.
(c) He should check in once a month.
(d) He should check in once a week.
3. What did Maman say about Hubert's actions?
(a) They were wise.
(b) They could have gotten him killed.
(c) They were a disgrace.
(d) They were silly.
4. What did Jo do when he saw what Rouf was barking at?
(a) He grabbed his gun.
(b) He ran for help.
(c) He started chasing after the animals.
(d) He jumped into the water.
5. Who did the townspeople thank?
(a) Father Lasalle
(c) The Mayor
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Jo go back to the pasture?
2. How did they know the rescue was successful?
3. Where did Grandpere hide the hunting rifle?
4. What did the man agree to do?
5. What game did the children like playing with Hubert?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Benjamin and Leah come home?
2. How does Madame Horcada ensure that the boy can still visit her?
3. What is the situation at Madame Horcada's regarding the Jews?
4. What did the villagers have to do when the Germans arrived?
5. Why were the soldiers in the town?
6. What is Benjamin doing while he is waiting for Anya?
7. How does Jo feel about his father?
8. Who is Leah, and why is she there?
9. How do the townspeople get along with the soldiers?
10. Why does Jo go up to the widow's house and what does he overhear?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)