|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of his village?
2. What does the man say about the cub's mother?
(a) He tells Jo not to feel bad. He just did his job.
(b) He said it was too bad the cub was now an orphan.
(c) He said the cub's mother wandered off.
(d) He said the cub's mother would come back soon.
3. What was the man hiding in the barn?
(c) Jewish children
(d) Secret documents
4. What did the situation make Benjamin determined to do?
(a) Find his daughter
(b) Find a way past the soldiers to get to freedom
(c) Go back into hiding
(d) Break the soldier's leg
5. What did the children do?
(a) They ran with the townspeople.
(b) They sang songs about the occasion.
(c) They had to help hold a rope to drag the animal in.
(d) They were taken inside for safekeeping.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the widow and Benjamin plan to get what they needed?
2. How many children were in the barn when the cow went dry?
3. How old was Jo when the book began?
4. How often should the boy come check on the widow?
5. What did Jo and Laurent pretend to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Benjamin and Leah come home?
2. What is unusual about the meeting with the man and his introduction?
3. What happens to Jo when he goes to warn Madame Horcada?
4. Why were the soldiers in the town?
5. Who is Leah, and why is she there?
6. Why was Benjamin waiting at the farm?
7. Jo vaguely remembers seeing the man once before. What was that situation?
8. How do the townspeople know when to gather together for important occasions?
9. What is the situation at Madame Horcada's regarding the Jews?
10. What has happened to most of the men in the town?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)