|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were the townspeople called together?
(a) A siren would wail.
(b) They would ring the town bell.
(c) They fired a canon.
(d) Hubert would go around beating the drum.
2. What game did the children like playing with Hubert?
(a) He let them climb on him at playtime and try to keep him down.
(b) Tic Tac Toe
(d) Keep Away
3. What excuse did Jo give at home regarding his lateness?
(a) He said he was too busy helping the widow.
(b) He said he twisted his ankle.
(c) He said he forgot the time.
(d) He said he had seen an eagle.
4. Who unexpectedly followed Jo when he took Grandpere up to the widow's house?
(b) The corporal
5. How does the man introduce himself?
(a) He is the priest's son.
(b) He says it's better that they not know each other.
(c) He uses sign language.
(d) He tells Jo to just call him Monsieur.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the widow and Benjamin plan to get what they needed?
2. What kind of work did Hubert do?
3. What had Rouf found?
4. Why did Jo have to hurry to find Benjamin?
5. Why hadn't Benjamin come home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hubert go to school een though he is too old and what does he do there?
2. What did the villagers have to do when the Germans arrived?
3. What does Jo have to prove to the widow, and how does he prove it when questioned about what he saw in the barn?
4. What happens while Jo's father is answering the questions?
5. What is Jo's father's personality like when he gets back home?
6. How does Laurent get revenge?
7. What does the corporal confess to Jo, and how does he respond to Jo's proclamation that he was friends with Benjamin and Leah?
8. Jo vaguely remembers seeing the man once before. What was that situation?
9. What happens when Madam Horcada comes into town?
10. What is Benjamin doing while he is waiting for Anya?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)