|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had sent the family a letter?
(b) Jo's dad
(c) The Widow
(d) The corporal
2. How were the townspeople called together?
(a) Hubert would go around beating the drum.
(b) A siren would wail.
(c) They would ring the town bell.
(d) They fired a canon.
3. What happened to Anya?
(a) She was killed.
(b) She got a job.
(c) She became separated from her father.
(d) She was injured and a relative was taking care of her.
4. Why did Jo have to hurry to find Benjamin?
(a) There were only a few hours of daylight left.
(b) They were going to be late for a meeting.
(c) He had to get home before curfew.
(d) He knew Benjamin might be dying somewhere.
5. What did the children do?
(a) They sang songs about the occasion.
(b) They had to help hold a rope to drag the animal in.
(c) They ran with the townspeople.
(d) They were taken inside for safekeeping.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped Jo with the sheep after the soldiers came to town?
2. Why were the Germans setting all the rules?
3. What were Jo's nightmares about?
4. How did the widow and Benjamin plan to get what they needed?
5. Where did Jo think Benjamin and Leah might be hiding if they hadn't been caught?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jo follow the man, and what did he discover?
2. Why didn't Benjamin and Leah come home?
3. How does Laurent get revenge?
4. What job did Jo do , and what advice did his father give him regarding the job?
5. What do the Germans do that upsets the villagers?
6. Why does Jo promise to keep Benjamin and Leah as a secret?
7. How do the townspeople get along with the soldiers?
8. Why does Jo go up to the widow's house and what does he overhear?
9. How does Grandfather react to the German's request?
10. What does Jo have to prove to the widow, and how does he prove it when questioned about what he saw in the barn?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)