|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Laurent find on the class field trip?
(a) A plant the teacher couldn't identify
(b) An eagle
(c) Leah's shoe
(d) A bear print.
2. How often did Jo get to see the children in the barn?
(a) Twice a month
(c) He wasn't allowed to see them.
(d) Once a week
3. How did Jo know where to go?
(a) It was how they went to the summer pasture.
(b) He followed the directions the widow gave him.
(c) He followed a map.
(d) He looked for the trail Benjamin left.
4. What was a sign of spring in the village?
(a) The sound of sheep bells as they moved from one field to the next
(b) School was out.
(c) The sound of the organ
(d) The soldiers moving out
5. What did Grandpere put on the rifle pile?
(a) An ancient, rusted rifle
(c) A BB gun
(d) A bow and arrow
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the man stay with the widow?
2. Why did Laurent ask Jo to be his accomplice?
3. How many children were in the barn when the cow went dry?
4. Who was Christine?
5. What did Grandpere do when he saw Widow Horcada?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jo goes to warn the widow about the soldiers, what does he discover?
2. Why were the soldiers in the town?
3. Why does Hubert go to school een though he is too old and what does he do there?
4. What is Madam Horcada like?
5. Why does Jo go back to the mountains after the bear is caught, and what does he find?
6. How does Jo feel about his father?
7. What happens when Madam Horcada comes into town?
8. How do the townspeople get along with the soldiers?
9. Why does Jo promise to keep Benjamin and Leah as a secret?
10. What is unusual about the meeting with the man and his introduction?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)