|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Maman and Grandpere respond when Jo asked them why the Germans wanted to kill the Jews?
(a) They said Hitler was jealous of the Jews since they were God's Chosen People.
(b) They didn't know, and they said the Germans made up their rules as they went along.
(c) They told him to ask questions like that.
(d) They refused to talk or look at him until he changed the subject.
2. Who was Jo's companion as he watched the sheep?
(a) The pastor.
3. Who did Jo encounter as he looked for Benjamin?
(a) A German patrol
(b) The corporal
(d) His sister
4. Where was the man from?
(b) Paris, France
5. Where was Jo's father?
(a) He was tending the sheep.
(b) He was working in the village.
(c) He was at war.
(d) He died a few years ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the celebration of the capture, what was suddenly forgotten?
2. How did the soldiers gain acceptance in the village?
3. What was unique about Hubert?
4. Why were the Germans setting all the rules?
5. What new rule did the Germans initiate in the town when they moved in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will happen to people who help the Jews, according to the soldiers?
2. What do the Germans do that upsets the villagers?
3. Why didn't Benjamin and Leah come home?
4. Why were the soldiers in the town?
5. How do the townspeople know when to gather together for important occasions?
6. How does Jo feel about his father?
7. When Jo goes to warn the widow about the soldiers, what does he discover?
8. Why does Jo promise to keep Benjamin and Leah as a secret?
9. Why does Jo go back to the mountains after the bear is caught, and what does he find?
10. What is the situation at Madame Horcada's regarding the Jews?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)