|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Jo see crouching at the edge of the woods?
(a) A patrol
2. Where was Benjamin going to go?
(a) To the cabin
(b) To a prison camp
(c) To Spain
(d) To find his daughter
3. What does Benjamin do before they leave to drive the sheep up the mountain?
(a) He thanks the Corporal for helping them.
(b) He cries.
(c) He prays.
(d) He grabs Anya's hand.
4. How did Laurent feel about his own father?
(a) He loved him as a hero.
(b) He really missed him.
(c) He didn't like him and didn't want his father to come home.
(d) He thought his father was dead.
5. How did Papa react after hearing what Jo was doing?
(a) He felt remorse for his previous actions.
(b) He was nervous for his son.
(c) He wanted to hurt the Jews.
(d) He was angry at his son for putting the family at risk.
6. What reputation did Auschwitz have?
(a) It was a labor camp.
(b) It was a death camp.
(c) It treated prisoners well.
(d) It was more like a hotel than a camp.
7. Why hadn't Grandpere told Jo that he knew about the children?
(a) He forgot about it when he was home.
(b) He thought Jo would tell the soldiers in exchange for money.
(c) He promised the widow he wouldn't mention it.
(d) He didn't think Jo could keep a secret.
8. What job did Jo take on after school?
(a) He became a full-time shepherd.
(b) He became a soldier.
(c) He became a naturalist.
(d) He became a teacher.
9. What alerted the soldiers on the mountain?
(a) Grandpere's yell
(b) A gunshot
(c) The bear
(d) Leah's scream
10. How did Jo feel about his secret at home?
(a) He was uncomfortable with it.
(b) He felt important.
(c) He thought maybe he would just share it with one person.
(d) He loved keeping secrets.
11. What did Jo get for Benjamin?
(a) A horse
(c) One of Hubert's minaitures
(d) A picture of Anya
12. Where does Papa spend the summer?
(a) Back in the work camp
(b) In Spain
(c) On a boat
(d) In the cabin on the mountain
13. According to Papa, who would divide the animals in the evening?
(a) The children
(b) The shepherds
(c) The priest
(d) The fathers
14. What would the soldiers find in the barn?
(a) Benjamin and Anya
(c) Nothing but hay, bracken and muck
15. What did Jo's family often do on Sundays?
(a) They had a picnic.
(b) They hiked in the mountains.
(c) They explored the caves.
(d) They went to the graveyard.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hubert help the cave children mingle with the village children?
2. Why was Grandpere upset?
3. What happened to Grandpere and Madame Horcada?
4. How did Grandpere know about the hiding place?
5. Where were the children hiding?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)