|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was happening to the Germans?
(a) They were becoming depressed.
(b) They were bullying the townspeople.
(c) They were being driven out of Russia and Africa.
(d) They were gaining in strength.
2. Who did Grandpere bring to meet Jo at the family visit?
3. What was the mood in school the day after they went up the mountain?
(a) Everyone was ready to study.
(c) They wanted to go back outside.
4. What does Benjamin do before they leave to drive the sheep up the mountain?
(a) He thanks the Corporal for helping them.
(b) He grabs Anya's hand.
(c) He cries.
(d) He prays.
5. What did the Corporal give Hubert so he could see better?
(a) A candle
(d) A special light
6. What did Hubert chase when they went to the woods?
(a) The dog
(b) A wild boar
(c) A bear
7. What did Father Lasalle plan to have during evening Mass?
(a) A congregation chant
(b) A baptism
(c) A concert
8. Who was the "stranger" in Jo's home?
(b) His teacher
(c) His father
(d) The Corporal
9. How did Papa react after hearing what Jo was doing?
(a) He was nervous for his son.
(b) He wanted to hurt the Jews.
(c) He felt remorse for his previous actions.
(d) He was angry at his son for putting the family at risk.
10. What alerted the soldiers on the mountain?
(a) Grandpere's yell
(b) A gunshot
(c) The bear
(d) Leah's scream
11. What did the Lieutenant ask Jo?
(a) He asked if Jo would go with them as a guide.
(b) He asked if Jo knew them.
(c) He asked if Jo was hungry.
(d) He asked if Jo was ready to go home.
12. What toy did Jo recognize?
(a) His sister's doll
(b) His missing carved horse
(c) His old train set
(d) His old ball
13. Why couldn't Jo concentrate in school?
(a) He wanted to go help his father with the sheep.
(b) He was worried about the fate of the children?
(c) He was attracted to the girl across from him.
(d) Hubert kept talking to him.
14. Who did the soldiers bring into the square?
(a) Benjamin and Leah
(b) Papa and Grandpere
(c) The priest
(d) Madame Horcada
15. According to Papa, who would divide the animals in the evening?
(a) The shepherds
(b) The priest
(c) The fathers
(d) The children
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Jo tell Grandpere about the children?
2. What did Benjamin ask the Lieutenant?
3. How did Grandpere learn about the children?
4. Why didn't the patrol see the person at the edge of the woods?
5. What did the Corporal do when he saw Jo looking scared by the cabin?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)