|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Papa react after hearing what Jo was doing?
(a) He was nervous for his son.
(b) He felt remorse for his previous actions.
(c) He was angry at his son for putting the family at risk.
(d) He wanted to hurt the Jews.
2. Where was Benjamin going to go?
(a) To the cabin
(b) To find his daughter
(c) To Spain
(d) To a prison camp
3. What did Benjamin ask the Lieutenant?
(a) He asked if they could leave.
(b) He asked if they could sit down.
(c) He asked if they could have a drink.
(d) He asked if they could join the army.
4. What did the Corporal do when he saw Jo looking scared by the cabin?
(a) He ran to get Jo a chair.
(b) He immediately went to inspect the cabin.
(c) He called the soldier back saying it was time to leave.
(d) He asked him if he was all right.
5. What did Madame Horcada say about Maman?
(a) She was too withdrawn.
(b) She had no gumption.
(c) She was a fine woman.
(d) She had spirit.
6. What is special about Michael?
(a) He excels at playing chess.
(b) He can speak five languages.
(c) He knows where Anya is.
(d) He is like a father to Leah.
7. What did the corporal take to remind him of the place?
(a) Hubert's miniature
(b) An eagle feather
(c) A flower
(d) A photograph
8. How many children were brought to safety?
9. How did Papa react to the soldiers?
(a) He kept having flashbacks to his time in the work camp.
(b) They made him depressed.
(c) He was thankful for the protection they offered.
(d) He was angry and bitter in their presence.
10. How did the villagers treat the soldiers after Benjamin left?
(a) They ignored the soldiers.
(b) They were very affectionate.
(c) With hostility
(d) They declared themselves eternal friends.
11. Why didn't the patrol see the person at the edge of the woods?
(a) The Corporal called out to them.
(b) They were distracted by a bear.
(c) They were distracted by the eagle.
(d) He was very well hidden.
12. How did Jo feel about his secret at home?
(a) He was uncomfortable with it.
(b) He loved keeping secrets.
(c) He felt important.
(d) He thought maybe he would just share it with one person.
13. What happened to Benjamin and Leah?
(a) They came home after they found Anya.
(b) They died in the concentration camp.
(c) They escaped from the Germans and came home.
(d) Benjamin officially adopted Leah.
14. How did Jo's sister react to the stranger?
(a) She wanted to stay right next to him.
(b) She ran up to him and hugged him.
(c) She wouldn't stay in the same room as him.
(d) She was scared of him at first.
15. Where were the children hiding?
(a) In a cave
(b) Behind rocks
(c) Under the roots of a large tree
(d) Under the floorboards
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greeted Jo when he brought the sheep in early due to the rain and mud?
2. What did Jo get for Benjamin?
3. What does Grandpere admit he is doing with Madame Horcada?
4. What did Jo tell the villagers about the Corporal's actions at the cabin?
5. Why was the Corporal on the mountain?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)