|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the widow react to the news that the soldiers were coming?
(a) She became angry.
(b) She passed out.
(c) She said they had planned for it.
(d) She ran to get a pitchfork.
2. What did the corporal take to remind him of the place?
(a) An eagle feather
(b) A flower
(c) A photograph
(d) Hubert's miniature
3. Where did Jo go with the Corporal?
(a) He went to look for eagles.
(b) To the Corporal's home
(c) To church
(d) To the store
4. How did Jo feel about his secret at home?
(a) He was uncomfortable with it.
(b) He felt important.
(c) He loved keeping secrets.
(d) He thought maybe he would just share it with one person.
5. Why hadn't Grandpere told Jo that he knew about the children?
(a) He thought Jo would tell the soldiers in exchange for money.
(b) He didn't think Jo could keep a secret.
(c) He promised the widow he wouldn't mention it.
(d) He forgot about it when he was home.
6. Where did the children hide at the top of the mountain?
(a) Behind rocks
(b) Behind trees
(c) In the cave
(d) In the cabin on the mountain
7. What did Papa and Grandpere do during the special Mass?
(a) They went drinking.
(b) They hid the Jewish children around the village.
(c) They sang a special song.
(d) They went to the graveyard.
8. What was the mood in school the day after they went up the mountain?
(a) Everyone was ready to study.
(c) They wanted to go back outside.
9. What did Jo get for Benjamin?
(a) A picture of Anya
(b) A horse
(c) One of Hubert's minaitures
10. What kind of music was going to be played at the special Mass?
11. What happened to Leah?
(a) She was reunited with her parents.
(b) She wouldn't leave Benjamin.
(c) She was killed by a bear.
(d) She was hurt as she ran.
12. How did the schoolteacher respond when he was asked if the children could miss a day of school?
(a) He was happy for a day off.
(b) He said that education was more important.
(c) He said they would probably learn more in that day than they would in a lifetime.
(d) He said the children needed to study for exams.
13. Why was Grandpere upset?
(a) They took too long with the plan for rescue.
(b) He was upset at himself and the townspeople for just letting the soldiers take them away.
(c) They couldn't find the bear.
(d) The children didn't make it.
14. Papa does all the following by himself except what?
15. What would the soldiers find in the barn?
(c) Nothing but hay, bracken and muck
(d) Benjamin and Anya
Short Answer Questions
1. What alerted the soldiers on the mountain?
2. How did Grandpere learn about the children?
3. Where was Benjamin going to go?
4. What was happening to the Germans?
5. What did the Corporal give Hubert so he could see better?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)