|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job did Jo take on after school?
(a) He became a naturalist.
(b) He became a soldier.
(c) He became a full-time shepherd.
(d) He became a teacher.
2. How long did the special Mass go?
(a) It didn't happen.
(b) The Germans sent everyone home after one song.
(c) Five hours
(d) Over an hour
3. Where does Papa spend the summer?
(a) In the cabin on the mountain
(b) On a boat
(c) Back in the work camp
(d) In Spain
4. What was the mood in school the day after they went up the mountain?
(a) They wanted to go back outside.
(b) Everyone was ready to study.
5. How did Jo's sister react to the stranger?
(a) She was scared of him at first.
(b) She wanted to stay right next to him.
(c) She ran up to him and hugged him.
(d) She wouldn't stay in the same room as him.
6. Who greeted Jo when he brought the sheep in early due to the rain and mud?
(d) Madame Horcada
7. Why was Grandpere upset?
(a) They couldn't find the bear.
(b) The children didn't make it.
(c) They took too long with the plan for rescue.
(d) He was upset at himself and the townspeople for just letting the soldiers take them away.
8. How did the widow react to the news that the soldiers were coming?
(a) She ran to get a pitchfork.
(b) She passed out.
(c) She said they had planned for it.
(d) She became angry.
9. How many children were brought to safety?
10. How did the villagers treat the soldiers after Benjamin left?
(a) They ignored the soldiers.
(b) They declared themselves eternal friends.
(c) With hostility
(d) They were very affectionate.
11. What did Grandpere do when the soldiers found Benjamin and Leah?
(a) He fought them off.
(b) He hid.
(c) He ran.
(d) He helped Benjamin escape.
12. What kind of music was going to be played at the special Mass?
13. What was the church like on the night of the special Mass?
(a) Only the Germans were there.
(b) No-one showed up.
(c) Only the villagers were there.
(d) Completely full
14. How did Papa react to the soldiers?
(a) They made him depressed.
(b) He kept having flashbacks to his time in the work camp.
(c) He was angry and bitter in their presence.
(d) He was thankful for the protection they offered.
15. How did Madame Hocada's husband die?
(a) He was murdered by a neighbor.
(b) He was killed in the last war.
(c) He was ill.
(d) He was in a farm accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Hubert after the war?
2. Who was the "stranger" in Jo's home?
3. What does Grandpere admit he is doing with Madame Horcada?
4. What came out of the woods as they were heading home?
5. How did Papa react to the friendship between his family members and the soldiers?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)