|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Benjamin going to go?
(a) To Spain
(b) To the cabin
(c) To find his daughter
(d) To a prison camp
2. What kind of music was going to be played at the special Mass?
3. How did Jo's sister react to the stranger?
(a) She wouldn't stay in the same room as him.
(b) She ran up to him and hugged him.
(c) She wanted to stay right next to him.
(d) She was scared of him at first.
4. How did Grandpere learn about the children?
(a) The dog led Grandpere to the children.
(b) He guessed when he was questioning the widow.
(c) He threatened the widow until she told him.
(d) He followed Jo.
5. What did Hubert do as Jo was passing by the soldiers?
(a) He told them about the children.
(b) He pretended to be a bear, distracting the soldiers.
(c) He spat at them.
(d) He began running in the other direction.
6. How did Jo feel about his secret at home?
(a) He loved keeping secrets.
(b) He felt important.
(c) He was uncomfortable with it.
(d) He thought maybe he would just share it with one person.
7. What did the Corporal talk to the soldiers about?
(a) The previous war
(b) How much he liked the villagers
(c) Old Germany
(d) The eagles and the nest
8. What happened to Benjamin and Leah?
(a) Benjamin officially adopted Leah.
(b) They escaped from the Germans and came home.
(c) They died in the concentration camp.
(d) They came home after they found Anya.
9. How did Maman and Madame Horcada react to each other?
(a) They embraced.
(b) They immediately started gossiping.
(c) They were polite.
(d) They wouldn't even look at each other.
10. What illness did Jo's father have?
(a) Swine Flu
11. What did Benjamin ask the Lieutenant?
(a) He asked if they could have a drink.
(b) He asked if they could leave.
(c) He asked if they could join the army.
(d) He asked if they could sit down.
12. What toy did Jo recognize?
(a) His sister's doll
(b) His old train set
(c) His old ball
(d) His missing carved horse
13. Where did the children hide at the top of the mountain?
(a) Behind rocks
(b) Behind trees
(c) In the cave
(d) In the cabin on the mountain
14. What did Grandpere do when the soldiers found Benjamin and Leah?
(a) He ran.
(b) He hid.
(c) He helped Benjamin escape.
(d) He fought them off.
15. How did Papa react to the soldiers?
(a) He was angry and bitter in their presence.
(b) They made him depressed.
(c) He was thankful for the protection they offered.
(d) He kept having flashbacks to his time in the work camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Jo take on after school?
2. Why was Jo worried about what the Corporal would see?
3. Who greeted Jo when he brought the sheep in early due to the rain and mud?
4. What was the church like on the night of the special Mass?
5. Where were the children hiding?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)