|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Benjamin ask the Lieutenant?
(a) He asked if they could leave.
(b) He asked if they could join the army.
(c) He asked if they could sit down.
(d) He asked if they could have a drink.
2. What is Jo supposed to do to look natural for the soldiers?
(b) Start doing chores
(c) Read a book
(d) Start cooking
3. How did Hubert help the cave children mingle with the village children?
(a) He made them work together.
(b) They all liked to climb on him.
(c) He made them hold hands.
(d) He told them stories.
4. Why hadn't Grandpere told Jo that he knew about the children?
(a) He didn't think Jo could keep a secret.
(b) He promised the widow he wouldn't mention it.
(c) He forgot about it when he was home.
(d) He thought Jo would tell the soldiers in exchange for money.
5. What is special about Michael?
(a) He is like a father to Leah.
(b) He excels at playing chess.
(c) He knows where Anya is.
(d) He can speak five languages.
6. What does Benjamin do before they leave to drive the sheep up the mountain?
(a) He grabs Anya's hand.
(b) He prays.
(c) He thanks the Corporal for helping them.
(d) He cries.
7. Why didn't Jo tell Grandpere about the children?
(a) He though his Grandpere would get mad at him.
(b) He promised the widow that he wouldn't mention it.
(c) He didn't want to make Grandpere nervous.
(d) He was worried Grandpere would turn the children in.
8. What did Father Lasalle plan to have during evening Mass?
(a) A baptism
(b) A concert
(d) A congregation chant
9. According to Papa, who would divide the animals in the evening?
(a) The priest
(b) The children
(c) The fathers
(d) The shepherds
10. What alerted the soldiers on the mountain?
(a) The bear
(b) Grandpere's yell
(c) A gunshot
(d) Leah's scream
11. Why was Hubert dancing and playing his drum?
(a) The war was over.
(b) Benjamin was coming home.
(c) It was Jo's birthday.
(d) Anya arrived in town.
12. Who greeted Jo when he brought the sheep in early due to the rain and mud?
(a) Madame Horcada
13. What did Hubert do as Jo was passing by the soldiers?
(a) He began running in the other direction.
(b) He pretended to be a bear, distracting the soldiers.
(c) He told them about the children.
(d) He spat at them.
14. Who did the soldiers bring into the square?
(a) The priest
(b) Papa and Grandpere
(c) Madame Horcada
(d) Benjamin and Leah
15. What illness did Jo's father have?
(c) Swine Flu
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the children hiding?
2. What did Grandpere do when the soldiers found Benjamin and Leah?
3. What kind of music was going to be played at the special Mass?
4. What did Jo do to escape from the pain the war left him with?
5. What did the Corporal do when he saw Jo looking scared by the cabin?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)