|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Papa spend the summer?
(a) Back in the work camp
(b) On a boat
(c) In Spain
(d) In the cabin on the mountain
2. Where did the children hide at the top of the mountain?
(a) Behind trees
(b) In the cave
(c) In the cabin on the mountain
(d) Behind rocks
3. Why didn't Jo tell Grandpere about the children?
(a) He was worried Grandpere would turn the children in.
(b) He though his Grandpere would get mad at him.
(c) He promised the widow that he wouldn't mention it.
(d) He didn't want to make Grandpere nervous.
4. What illness did Jo's father have?
(d) Swine Flu
5. Why couldn't Jo concentrate in school?
(a) He was worried about the fate of the children?
(b) He wanted to go help his father with the sheep.
(c) He was attracted to the girl across from him.
(d) Hubert kept talking to him.
6. What danger did the villagers face as they went up the mountain?
(a) Wild animals
(d) Harsh elements
7. Why was the Corporal on the mountain?
(a) He was supposed to escort the villagers home.
(b) He was trying to protect the Jews.
(c) He was trying to protect the villagers.
(d) He was spying on the villagers.
8. What alerted the soldiers on the mountain?
(a) Leah's scream
(b) The bear
(c) A gunshot
(d) Grandpere's yell
9. What did Jo get for Benjamin?
(a) One of Hubert's minaitures
(b) A horse
(c) A picture of Anya
10. What gift did Hubert give the Corporal?
(a) A miniature chalice
(b) A poem
(c) An eagle feather
11. How long did the special Mass go?
(a) Five hours
(b) Over an hour
(c) It didn't happen.
(d) The Germans sent everyone home after one song.
12. How did Maman and Madame Horcada react to each other?
(a) They immediately started gossiping.
(b) They wouldn't even look at each other.
(c) They embraced.
(d) They were polite.
13. What did Jo do after Benjamin left?
(a) He ran after Benjamin.
(b) He ran to Madame Horcada's.
(c) He drifted home.
(d) He went back to school.
14. What did the corporal take to remind him of the place?
(a) An eagle feather
(b) A photograph
(c) A flower
(d) Hubert's miniature
15. What did Hubert do as Jo was passing by the soldiers?
(a) He spat at them.
(b) He began running in the other direction.
(c) He pretended to be a bear, distracting the soldiers.
(d) He told them about the children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hubert chase when they went to the woods?
2. Why was Grandpere upset?
3. What advice did Benjamin give Jo regarding Anya?
4. What did the Corporal give Hubert as a gift?
5. What reputation did Auschwitz have?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)