|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why hadn't Grandpere told Jo that he knew about the children?
(a) He thought Jo would tell the soldiers in exchange for money.
(b) He didn't think Jo could keep a secret.
(c) He forgot about it when he was home.
(d) He promised the widow he wouldn't mention it.
2. What gift did Hubert give the Corporal?
(a) A poem
(c) A miniature chalice
(d) An eagle feather
3. According to Papa, who would divide the animals in the evening?
(a) The fathers
(b) The priest
(c) The children
(d) The shepherds
4. Where were the children hiding?
(a) Behind rocks
(b) Under the floorboards
(c) Under the roots of a large tree
(d) In a cave
5. Who did the soldiers bring into the square?
(a) Madame Horcada
(b) Papa and Grandpere
(c) The priest
(d) Benjamin and Leah
6. Where did Hubert take Jo after they left the school?
(a) The Square
(b) The store
(c) To Madame Horcada's house
(d) The mountain
7. How did Maman and Madame Horcada react to each other?
(a) They embraced.
(b) They wouldn't even look at each other.
(c) They were polite.
(d) They immediately started gossiping.
8. What happened to Hubert after the war?
(a) He became mayor of the town.
(b) He received a medal of honor.
(c) He was killed.
(d) He married Anya.
9. Where did Jo go with the Corporal?
(a) To the store
(b) He went to look for eagles.
(c) To church
(d) To the Corporal's home
10. What did the Corporal give Hubert so he could see better?
(c) A special light
(d) A candle
11. What did the Corporal give Hubert as a gift?
(a) The binoculars
(b) A loaf of bread
(c) A new drum
(d) A gun
12. Papa does all the following by himself except what?
13. Who did Grandpere bring to meet Jo at the family visit?
14. How did Grandpere learn about the children?
(a) He threatened the widow until she told him.
(b) The dog led Grandpere to the children.
(c) He followed Jo.
(d) He guessed when he was questioning the widow.
15. What was the mood in school the day after they went up the mountain?
(b) They wanted to go back outside.
(c) Everyone was ready to study.
Short Answer Questions
1. What came out of the woods as they were heading home?
2. What did the Lieutenant ask Jo?
3. Why was Grandpere upset?
4. How many children were brought to safety?
5. How did the schoolteacher respond when he was asked if the children could miss a day of school?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)