|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Madame Horcada say about Maman?
(a) She had no gumption.
(b) She was too withdrawn.
(c) She had spirit.
(d) She was a fine woman.
2. Who greeted Jo when he brought the sheep in early due to the rain and mud?
(c) Madame Horcada
3. Who did Jo see crouching at the edge of the woods?
(d) A patrol
4. Why was Hubert dancing and playing his drum?
(a) Anya arrived in town.
(b) Benjamin was coming home.
(c) The war was over.
(d) It was Jo's birthday.
5. What would the soldiers find in the barn?
(a) Nothing but hay, bracken and muck
(c) Benjamin and Anya
6. How did Jo feel about his secret at home?
(a) He loved keeping secrets.
(b) He felt important.
(c) He thought maybe he would just share it with one person.
(d) He was uncomfortable with it.
7. Where does Papa spend the summer?
(a) In the cabin on the mountain
(b) Back in the work camp
(c) In Spain
(d) On a boat
8. What did the Lieutenant ask Jo?
(a) He asked if Jo knew them.
(b) He asked if Jo would go with them as a guide.
(c) He asked if Jo was hungry.
(d) He asked if Jo was ready to go home.
9. How did Hubert help the cave children mingle with the village children?
(a) He told them stories.
(b) He made them work together.
(c) He made them hold hands.
(d) They all liked to climb on him.
10. Where did Jo go with the Corporal?
(a) To church
(b) To the store
(c) To the Corporal's home
(d) He went to look for eagles.
11. What happened to Grandpere and Madame Horcada?
(a) They had a huge fight.
(b) They were married.
(c) They gradually grew apart after Benjamin left.
(d) They went on to open a shelter for war orphans.
12. What danger did the villagers face as they went up the mountain?
(b) Harsh elements
(d) Wild animals
13. What vehicle did Benjamin take when he left?
(a) Army jeep
(c) An old car
14. What did the Lieutenant ask the people the soldiers brought in?
(a) He asked if they were Jews.
(b) He asked if they were injured.
(c) He asked if they had anyone else with them.
(d) He asked if they were from Spain.
15. What toy did Jo recognize?
(a) His missing carved horse
(b) His sister's doll
(c) His old ball
(d) His old train set
Short Answer Questions
1. Papa does all the following by himself except what?
2. What did Father Lasalle plan to have during evening Mass?
3. How did Laurent feel about his own father?
4. Why didn't the patrol see the person at the edge of the woods?
5. What illness did Jo's father have?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)