|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would the soldiers find in the barn?
(a) Benjamin and Anya
(b) Nothing but hay, bracken and muck
2. What did the villagers bring up the mountain?
(c) Sheep and pigs
3. How did Papa react to the friendship between his family members and the soldiers?
(a) He was was very angry and hurt.
(b) He understood it even if he didn't agree with it.
(c) He thought it was wise.
(d) He thought it was natural in their situation.
4. How did Benjamin and Leah react when Jo saw them?
(a) They acted as if they didn't know him.
(b) They turned away in anger.
(c) They hugged him.
(d) They laughed at him.
5. What did the Lieutenant ask the people the soldiers brought in?
(a) He asked if they were Jews.
(b) He asked if they were injured.
(c) He asked if they had anyone else with them.
(d) He asked if they were from Spain.
6. What did the corporal take to remind him of the place?
(a) An eagle feather
(b) Hubert's miniature
(c) A flower
(d) A photograph
7. What happened to Grandpere and Madame Horcada?
(a) They were married.
(b) They went on to open a shelter for war orphans.
(c) They gradually grew apart after Benjamin left.
(d) They had a huge fight.
8. What did the Corporal give Hubert as a gift?
(a) The binoculars
(b) A loaf of bread
(c) A new drum
(d) A gun
9. What did Hubert chase when they went to the woods?
(a) The dog
(b) A bear
(c) A wild boar
10. How did the widow react to the news that the soldiers were coming?
(a) She ran to get a pitchfork.
(b) She became angry.
(c) She said they had planned for it.
(d) She passed out.
11. How many children were brought to safety?
12. What is special about Michael?
(a) He excels at playing chess.
(b) He knows where Anya is.
(c) He is like a father to Leah.
(d) He can speak five languages.
13. Why didn't the patrol see the person at the edge of the woods?
(a) He was very well hidden.
(b) They were distracted by a bear.
(c) They were distracted by the eagle.
(d) The Corporal called out to them.
14. What was the mood in school the day after they went up the mountain?
(b) They wanted to go back outside.
(d) Everyone was ready to study.
15. Who did the soldiers bring into the square?
(a) The priest
(b) Madame Horcada
(c) Papa and Grandpere
(d) Benjamin and Leah
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Jewish children blend in with the villagers?
2. What did Papa and Grandpere do during the special Mass?
3. What is Jo supposed to do to look natural for the soldiers?
4. Papa does all the following by himself except what?
5. What did the Corporal talk to the soldiers about?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)