|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grandpere admit he is doing with Madame Horcada?
(a) He is helping her because if his friendship with her dead spouse.
(b) He is trying to ignore her.
(c) He is treating her as a charity project.
(d) He admits that he is courting her.
2. What happened to Benjamin and Leah?
(a) They escaped from the Germans and came home.
(b) They died in the concentration camp.
(c) Benjamin officially adopted Leah.
(d) They came home after they found Anya.
3. How did Madame Hocada's husband die?
(a) He was in a farm accident.
(b) He was killed in the last war.
(c) He was ill.
(d) He was murdered by a neighbor.
4. What came out of the woods as they were heading home?
(a) A soldier
(b) A sheep
(c) A boar
(d) A bear
5. What kind of music was going to be played at the special Mass?
6. How did Laurent feel about his own father?
(a) He didn't like him and didn't want his father to come home.
(b) He thought his father was dead.
(c) He loved him as a hero.
(d) He really missed him.
7. How many children were brought to safety?
8. What did Jo's family often do on Sundays?
(a) They had a picnic.
(b) They explored the caves.
(c) They hiked in the mountains.
(d) They went to the graveyard.
9. What happened to Hubert after the war?
(a) He received a medal of honor.
(b) He became mayor of the town.
(c) He was killed.
(d) He married Anya.
10. What happened to the Corporal's daughter?
(a) She showed up in town looking for her father.
(b) She was taken to a prison camp.
(c) She found Anya.
(d) She was killed in the a bombing raid.
11. What does Benjamin do before they leave to drive the sheep up the mountain?
(a) He prays.
(b) He grabs Anya's hand.
(c) He cries.
(d) He thanks the Corporal for helping them.
12. What job did Jo take on after school?
(a) He became a full-time shepherd.
(b) He became a soldier.
(c) He became a teacher.
(d) He became a naturalist.
13. What did the Corporal give Hubert as a gift?
(a) A new drum
(b) A gun
(c) The binoculars
(d) A loaf of bread
14. What did Benjamin ask the Lieutenant?
(a) He asked if they could sit down.
(b) He asked if they could leave.
(c) He asked if they could join the army.
(d) He asked if they could have a drink.
15. What was Papa like when he came home at curfew each night?
(a) He was drunk and brooding.
(b) He was nervous.
(c) He was angry and loud.
(d) He was triumphant that he got away with breaking the rules.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Germans find in the house searches?
2. Who did Jo see crouching at the edge of the woods?
3. Where does Papa spend the summer?
4. What did Jo do to escape from the pain the war left him with?
5. How did Hubert help the cave children mingle with the village children?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)