|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Grandpere learn about the children?
(a) He followed Jo.
(b) He threatened the widow until she told him.
(c) The dog led Grandpere to the children.
(d) He guessed when he was questioning the widow.
2. What came out of the woods as they were heading home?
(a) A boar
(b) A sheep
(c) A soldier
(d) A bear
3. What did Jo do after Benjamin left?
(a) He ran to Madame Horcada's.
(b) He ran after Benjamin.
(c) He drifted home.
(d) He went back to school.
4. Why was Jo worried about what the Corporal would see?
(a) He thought the Corporal would get confused.
(b) He thought the Corporal would blame him.
(c) He would know that women and children don't go to drive sheep up a mountain.
(d) He thought the Corporal would turn in the Jews.
5. How did the Jewish children blend in with the villagers?
(a) They dressed up like sheep.
(b) They spoke French.
(c) They didn't.
(d) They laughed and made noise.
6. Why didn't the patrol see the person at the edge of the woods?
(a) They were distracted by the eagle.
(b) The Corporal called out to them.
(c) They were distracted by a bear.
(d) He was very well hidden.
7. Who did the soldiers bring into the square?
(a) Benjamin and Leah
(b) The priest
(c) Madame Horcada
(d) Papa and Grandpere
8. What happened to Grandpere and Madame Horcada?
(a) They had a huge fight.
(b) They went on to open a shelter for war orphans.
(c) They were married.
(d) They gradually grew apart after Benjamin left.
9. What did Hubert chase when they went to the woods?
(b) A bear
(c) The dog
(d) A wild boar
10. What reputation did Auschwitz have?
(a) It was more like a hotel than a camp.
(b) It treated prisoners well.
(c) It was a death camp.
(d) It was a labor camp.
11. What did the Lieutenant ask the people the soldiers brought in?
(a) He asked if they had anyone else with them.
(b) He asked if they were injured.
(c) He asked if they were Jews.
(d) He asked if they were from Spain.
12. What job did Jo take on after school?
(a) He became a soldier.
(b) He became a full-time shepherd.
(c) He became a naturalist.
(d) He became a teacher.
13. What does Benjamin do before they leave to drive the sheep up the mountain?
(a) He thanks the Corporal for helping them.
(b) He grabs Anya's hand.
(c) He cries.
(d) He prays.
14. What did Jo's family often do on Sundays?
(a) They had a picnic.
(b) They explored the caves.
(c) They went to the graveyard.
(d) They hiked in the mountains.
15. How did Hubert help the cave children mingle with the village children?
(a) He told them stories.
(b) He made them work together.
(c) They all liked to climb on him.
(d) He made them hold hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the stranger react when he was told about Jo's work in the household?
2. Where did the children hide at the top of the mountain?
3. What is Jo supposed to do to look natural for the soldiers?
4. What did the Corporal do when he saw Jo looking scared by the cabin?
5. Why hadn't Grandpere told Jo that he knew about the children?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)