|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Maman want to involve in her plan?
(b) The entire village
(c) The Corporal
(d) Just the priest and the schoolteacher
2. How did the widow react to the news that the soldiers were coming?
(a) She became angry.
(b) She ran to get a pitchfork.
(c) She said they had planned for it.
(d) She passed out.
3. How did Benjamin and Leah react when Jo saw them?
(a) They hugged him.
(b) They laughed at him.
(c) They acted as if they didn't know him.
(d) They turned away in anger.
4. What job did Jo take on after school?
(a) He became a full-time shepherd.
(b) He became a soldier.
(c) He became a naturalist.
(d) He became a teacher.
5. What advice did Benjamin give Jo regarding Anya?
(a) Wait and pray
(b) Help her however he can.
(c) Forget about her.
(d) Stay away from her.
6. What did the Lieutenant ask the people the soldiers brought in?
(a) He asked if they were from Spain.
(b) He asked if they were injured.
(c) He asked if they had anyone else with them.
(d) He asked if they were Jews.
7. What happened to Grandpere and Madame Horcada?
(a) They were married.
(b) They gradually grew apart after Benjamin left.
(c) They had a huge fight.
(d) They went on to open a shelter for war orphans.
8. Why couldn't Jo concentrate in school?
(a) He was worried about the fate of the children?
(b) Hubert kept talking to him.
(c) He was attracted to the girl across from him.
(d) He wanted to go help his father with the sheep.
9. What does Benjamin do before they leave to drive the sheep up the mountain?
(a) He cries.
(b) He prays.
(c) He thanks the Corporal for helping them.
(d) He grabs Anya's hand.
10. How did Madame Hocada's husband die?
(a) He was in a farm accident.
(b) He was murdered by a neighbor.
(c) He was killed in the last war.
(d) He was ill.
11. What did the Corporal give Hubert as a gift?
(a) A new drum
(b) The binoculars
(c) A gun
(d) A loaf of bread
12. What did Michael give Jo?
(a) The address for the house where he was going
(b) A hug
(c) Some food
(d) A chess piece
13. Who did Jo see crouching at the edge of the woods?
(c) A patrol
14. How did the villagers treat the soldiers after Benjamin left?
(a) They were very affectionate.
(b) With hostility
(c) They declared themselves eternal friends.
(d) They ignored the soldiers.
15. Why was Grandpere upset?
(a) He was upset at himself and the townspeople for just letting the soldiers take them away.
(b) The children didn't make it.
(c) They couldn't find the bear.
(d) They took too long with the plan for rescue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jo do after Benjamin left?
2. Why was the Corporal on the mountain?
3. What vehicle did Benjamin take when he left?
4. Why didn't the patrol see the person at the edge of the woods?
5. What did Jo do to escape from the pain the war left him with?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)