|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the stranger react when he was told about Jo's work in the household?
(a) He praised Jo.
(b) He was appreciative.
(c) His face darkened.
(d) He was exuberent.
2. What vehicle did Benjamin take when he left?
(a) Army jeep
(c) An old car
3. Where did the children hide at the top of the mountain?
(a) Behind trees
(b) In the cabin on the mountain
(c) Behind rocks
(d) In the cave
4. How did Madame Hocada's husband die?
(a) He was in a farm accident.
(b) He was murdered by a neighbor.
(c) He was killed in the last war.
(d) He was ill.
5. What kind of music was going to be played at the special Mass?
6. Where does Papa spend the summer?
(a) On a boat
(b) In Spain
(c) In the cabin on the mountain
(d) Back in the work camp
7. What did the Corporal give Hubert as a gift?
(a) The binoculars
(b) A gun
(c) A loaf of bread
(d) A new drum
8. Who greeted Jo when he brought the sheep in early due to the rain and mud?
(a) Madame Horcada
9. How many children were brought to safety?
10. How did Maman and Madame Horcada react to each other?
(a) They immediately started gossiping.
(b) They wouldn't even look at each other.
(c) They were polite.
(d) They embraced.
11. What came out of the woods as they were heading home?
(a) A bear
(b) A boar
(c) A sheep
(d) A soldier
12. What happened to Grandpere and Madame Horcada?
(a) They were married.
(b) They gradually grew apart after Benjamin left.
(c) They had a huge fight.
(d) They went on to open a shelter for war orphans.
13. What did the Germans find in the house searches?
(a) Just some unusable rifles
(b) Several Jews
(c) Nothing at all
(d) Some hidden war criminals
14. What did Hubert do as Jo was passing by the soldiers?
(a) He began running in the other direction.
(b) He pretended to be a bear, distracting the soldiers.
(c) He spat at them.
(d) He told them about the children.
15. What did Grandpere do when the soldiers found Benjamin and Leah?
(a) He ran.
(b) He helped Benjamin escape.
(c) He fought them off.
(d) He hid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Maman want to involve in her plan?
2. Why was Hubert dancing and playing his drum?
3. How did Benjamin and Leah react when Jo saw them?
4. What did the villagers bring up the mountain?
5. What gift did Hubert give the Corporal?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)