|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Papa react after hearing what Jo was doing?
(a) He was angry at his son for putting the family at risk.
(b) He wanted to hurt the Jews.
(c) He was nervous for his son.
(d) He felt remorse for his previous actions.
2. According to Papa, who would divide the animals in the evening?
(a) The fathers
(b) The shepherds
(c) The priest
(d) The children
3. Why hadn't Grandpere told Jo that he knew about the children?
(a) He forgot about it when he was home.
(b) He promised the widow he wouldn't mention it.
(c) He didn't think Jo could keep a secret.
(d) He thought Jo would tell the soldiers in exchange for money.
4. What did Jo do after Benjamin left?
(a) He ran after Benjamin.
(b) He went back to school.
(c) He ran to Madame Horcada's.
(d) He drifted home.
5. Where does Papa spend the summer?
(a) In the cabin on the mountain
(b) On a boat
(c) Back in the work camp
(d) In Spain
6. How did the villagers treat the soldiers after Benjamin left?
(a) They declared themselves eternal friends.
(b) They were very affectionate.
(c) They ignored the soldiers.
(d) With hostility
7. Why was Hubert dancing and playing his drum?
(a) Benjamin was coming home.
(b) Anya arrived in town.
(c) It was Jo's birthday.
(d) The war was over.
8. Who did Jo see crouching at the edge of the woods?
(c) A patrol
9. What advice did Benjamin give Jo regarding Anya?
(a) Wait and pray
(b) Forget about her.
(c) Stay away from her.
(d) Help her however he can.
10. How did Madame Hocada's husband die?
(a) He was killed in the last war.
(b) He was murdered by a neighbor.
(c) He was ill.
(d) He was in a farm accident.
11. How did Grandpere know about the hiding place?
(a) His father used it for smuggling alcohol over the border.
(b) Madame Horcada showed it to him.
(c) He found it while hunting.
(d) He hid there during the first war.
12. What did Benjamin ask the Lieutenant?
(a) He asked if they could leave.
(b) He asked if they could sit down.
(c) He asked if they could have a drink.
(d) He asked if they could join the army.
13. What is Jo supposed to do to look natural for the soldiers?
(a) Read a book
(b) Start doing chores
(d) Start cooking
14. What did the corporal take to remind him of the place?
(a) A flower
(b) A photograph
(c) Hubert's miniature
(d) An eagle feather
15. Why was the Corporal on the mountain?
(a) He was trying to protect the Jews.
(b) He was spying on the villagers.
(c) He was trying to protect the villagers.
(d) He was supposed to escort the villagers home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Corporal give Hubert as a gift?
2. What gift did Hubert give the Corporal?
3. What kind of music was going to be played at the special Mass?
4. How did the widow react to the news that the soldiers were coming?
5. What did the Lieutenant ask Jo?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)