|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the Corporal's daughter?
(a) She was killed in the a bombing raid.
(b) She showed up in town looking for her father.
(c) She found Anya.
(d) She was taken to a prison camp.
2. What reputation did Auschwitz have?
(a) It was more like a hotel than a camp.
(b) It was a labor camp.
(c) It treated prisoners well.
(d) It was a death camp.
3. What was the church like on the night of the special Mass?
(a) Only the villagers were there.
(b) No-one showed up.
(c) Only the Germans were there.
(d) Completely full
4. How did Papa react after hearing what Jo was doing?
(a) He felt remorse for his previous actions.
(b) He was angry at his son for putting the family at risk.
(c) He was nervous for his son.
(d) He wanted to hurt the Jews.
5. What danger did the villagers face as they went up the mountain?
(b) Harsh elements
(c) Wild animals
6. What is special about Michael?
(a) He can speak five languages.
(b) He is like a father to Leah.
(c) He excels at playing chess.
(d) He knows where Anya is.
7. What happened to Leah?
(a) She was reunited with her parents.
(b) She was hurt as she ran.
(c) She was killed by a bear.
(d) She wouldn't leave Benjamin.
8. How did Papa react to the soldiers?
(a) He was thankful for the protection they offered.
(b) He kept having flashbacks to his time in the work camp.
(c) He was angry and bitter in their presence.
(d) They made him depressed.
9. How did Hubert help the cave children mingle with the village children?
(a) He made them work together.
(b) He made them hold hands.
(c) He told them stories.
(d) They all liked to climb on him.
10. How did Papa react to the friendship between his family members and the soldiers?
(a) He thought it was wise.
(b) He thought it was natural in their situation.
(c) He understood it even if he didn't agree with it.
(d) He was was very angry and hurt.
11. How long did the special Mass go?
(a) Five hours
(b) The Germans sent everyone home after one song.
(c) It didn't happen.
(d) Over an hour
12. What did Jo get for Benjamin?
(a) A horse
(b) A picture of Anya
(d) One of Hubert's minaitures
13. What was Papa like when he came home at curfew each night?
(a) He was nervous.
(b) He was drunk and brooding.
(c) He was triumphant that he got away with breaking the rules.
(d) He was angry and loud.
14. What kind of music was going to be played at the special Mass?
15. How did Madame Hocada's husband die?
(a) He was murdered by a neighbor.
(b) He was killed in the last war.
(c) He was ill.
(d) He was in a farm accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Hubert take Jo after they left the school?
2. What alerted the soldiers on the mountain?
3. What job did Jo take on after school?
4. What did Michael give Jo?
5. What toy did Jo recognize?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)