|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Jo go back to the pasture?
(a) He had left his gun.
(b) He wanted to make sure the sheep were now safe.
(c) He left his jacket there.
(d) He was looking for Rouf.
2. Why did the man stay with the widow?
(a) He wanted to protect her.
(b) He knew she needed someone to work on the farm.
(c) He was waiting for Anya to find him.
(d) He knew she needed health care.
3. Where did Grandpere hide the hunting rifle?
(a) He didn't. He turned it in.
(b) Under the floorboards in his house.
(c) In a cave
(d) In a tomb
4. What kind of work did Hubert do?
(a) He took his task very seriously.
(b) He goofed around, but still got the work done.
(c) He was meticulous in documenting every detail.
(d) He was shoddy.
5. Who did Jo encounter as he looked for Benjamin?
(a) The corporal
(b) A German patrol
(c) His sister
6. Why was the widow concerned about Benjamin?
(a) He should have been back by then.
(b) He was weak.
(c) He had a tendency to talk too much.
(d) He didn't know how to survive in the mountains.
7. Why was Rouf barking?
(a) A bear was coming by the sheep.
(b) The sheep were all wandering off.
(c) One of the sheep was drowning.
(d) Strangers were coming near the field.
8. Who arrived in the village while Jo was gone?
(a) German soldiers
(c) His father
9. What did Hubert think of the soldiers?
(a) He didn't like them, and he kept pretend shooting at them.
(b) He wanted to be just like them.
(c) They scared him.
(d) He was in awe of them.
10. How many children were in the barn when the cow went dry?
(d) Just Leah
11. What were Jo's nightmares about?
(a) Bears and soldiers
(c) His father
(d) Jewish children
12. What does the Corporal offer to do for Jo?
(a) He offers to help Jo with his homework.
(b) He offers to help carry the food to Widow Horcada.
(c) He offers to watch the sheep for Jo.
(d) He offers to put Jo in contact with his father.
13. What was a sign of spring in the village?
(a) The sound of sheep bells as they moved from one field to the next
(b) The sound of the organ
(c) The soldiers moving out
(d) School was out.
14. Why did Benjamin, Leah, and Jo risk cutting across the open field?
(a) They were incredibly hungry.
(b) Benjamin was experiencing excruciating pain.
(c) It wasn't much of a risk since the patrols were up the mountain.
(d) It was their only chance of escaping from the soldiers.
15. Where did Jo think Benjamin and Leah might be hiding if they hadn't been caught?
(a) In some bushes
(b) In Papa's hut
(c) In the water
(d) Behind a tree
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the widow need more supplies?
2. What did the children do?
3. What does the man make the boy promise?
4. What did Hubert make in the back of the classroom?
5. How did Grandpere respond to the widow's offer?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)