|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the man hiding?
(a) He made people angry, and they want to kill him.
(b) He has some valuables he is protecting for someone else.
(c) He is a criminal on the run.
(d) He is a Jew.
2. Where did Jo think Benjamin and Leah might be hiding if they hadn't been caught?
(a) In Papa's hut
(b) Behind a tree
(c) In some bushes
(d) In the water
3. What was unique about Hubert?
(a) He was orphaned when he was very young, and he raised himself.
(b) He was a giant with the mind of a child.
(c) He had six fingers on each hand.
(d) He was brilliant.
4. What was a sign of spring in the village?
(a) School was out.
(b) The sound of sheep bells as they moved from one field to the next
(c) The sound of the organ
(d) The soldiers moving out
5. Where did Grandpere hide the hunting rifle?
(a) In a tomb
(b) He didn't. He turned it in.
(c) Under the floorboards in his house.
(d) In a cave
6. How were the townspeople called together?
(a) A siren would wail.
(b) They would ring the town bell.
(c) They fired a canon.
(d) Hubert would go around beating the drum.
7. Why did Laurent ask Jo to be his accomplice?
(a) Jo had a deep voice.
(b) Jo was great at making strategies.
(c) Jo always went along with his schemes.
(d) Jo never got in trouble.
8. What job did Jo have when the book started?
(a) He tended the fire at the schoolhouse.
(b) He played the organ in church
(c) He was watching the sheep.
(d) He worked at the store.
9. What did the children do?
(a) They were taken inside for safekeeping.
(b) They sang songs about the occasion.
(c) They ran with the townspeople.
(d) They had to help hold a rope to drag the animal in.
10. How did Jo feel about the Widow Horcada?
(a) He thought she was old and wise.
(b) She was a woman to avoid.
(c) He loved her stories.
(d) He loved her cooking.
11. What were the Germans in the village like?
(b) They were easily walked over.
(c) They were sadistic.
(d) They were tyrants.
12. How did Jo know where to go?
(a) He followed a map.
(b) It was how they went to the summer pasture.
(c) He followed the directions the widow gave him.
(d) He looked for the trail Benjamin left.
13. What did all the townspeople have to give up?
(a) Their religion
(b) Their jobs
(c) Their guns
(d) Their jewelry
14. How does Jo get the Corporal to stop helping him?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He says he won't get paid.
(c) He yells at the man then stomps off.
(d) He tells the Corporal he hates him.
15. What did the widow ask if Jo could do?
(a) Carry her purchases home for her weekly
(b) Check on her horse
(c) Wash her car
(d) Leave the room
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Jo's father?
2. Who helped Jo with the sheep after the soldiers came to town?
3. What did Laurent find on the class field trip?
4. How did Grandpere respond to the widow's offer?
5. Where did the man live?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)