|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the man agree to do?
(a) Drive the boy back to the village
(b) Leave the area
(c) Help the cub live
(d) Help Jo get a job
2. What did Hubert make in the back of the classroom?
(b) Miniatures out of bread
3. Where was Jo's father?
(a) He was at war.
(b) He died a few years ago.
(c) He was working in the village.
(d) He was tending the sheep.
4. Where did the man live?
(a) In a cabin by the stream
(b) In the village
(c) In a tent in the woods
(d) At Widow Horcada's farm
5. What kind of work did Hubert do?
(a) He was shoddy.
(b) He was meticulous in documenting every detail.
(c) He goofed around, but still got the work done.
(d) He took his task very seriously.
6. What does the widow know about Jo's father?
(a) She knows that he is a vegetarian.
(b) She knows that he is coming home soon.
(c) She knows he is dead.
(d) She knows he is a prisoner-of-war.
7. Who arrived in the village while Jo was gone?
(a) German soldiers
(d) His father
8. How were the townspeople called together?
(a) Hubert would go around beating the drum.
(b) They would ring the town bell.
(c) A siren would wail.
(d) They fired a canon.
9. Who was Christine?
(a) The schoolteacher
(b) Jo's little sister
(c) The neighbor
(d) The leader of the children
10. Who comes back to visit the man?
(a) The bear
(c) His wife
(d) His daughter
11. What did Jo do after the man walked off?
(a) He went back to the sheep.
(b) He sat down to think for a while.
(c) He went back home.
(d) He followed him.
12. What were the Germans in the village like?
(a) They were easily walked over.
(b) They were tyrants.
(d) They were sadistic.
13. What did Jo say when they asked him if the shoe was the only thing he found?
(a) He refused to answer.
(b) He ran away.
(c) He said "yes."
(d) He said "no."
14. Who did Jo encounter as he looked for Benjamin?
(a) His sister
(c) The corporal
(d) A German patrol
15. What did the situation make Benjamin determined to do?
(a) Find a way past the soldiers to get to freedom
(b) Break the soldier's leg
(c) Go back into hiding
(d) Find his daughter
Short Answer Questions
1. How often should the boy come check on the widow?
2. What new rule did the Germans initiate in the town when they moved in?
3. Why is the man hiding?
4. How does the widow want the boy to treat her in the village?
5. What had Rouf found?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)