|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Maman say about Hubert's actions?
(a) They were a disgrace.
(b) They were wise.
(c) They were silly.
(d) They could have gotten him killed.
2. What was the man hiding in the barn?
(c) Jewish children
(d) Secret documents
3. Where did the man live?
(a) In a tent in the woods
(b) At Widow Horcada's farm
(c) In the village
(d) In a cabin by the stream
4. How did they know the rescue was successful?
(a) It was printed in the newspaper.
(b) They heard a shot then watched a triumphant procession as they returned.
(c) It wasn't successful. They came home silent and depressed.
(d) Grandpere brought the sheep home.
5. Who did Jo find at the widow's house when he went to warn her about the home inspections?
6. What had Rouf found?
(a) Another stray sheep
(b) A picnic basket
(c) A wounded man
(d) A bear cub
7. How did Jo feel about the Widow Horcada?
(a) He loved her stories.
(b) He thought she was old and wise.
(c) He loved her cooking.
(d) She was a woman to avoid.
8. What game did the children like playing with Hubert?
(b) Keep Away
(c) He let them climb on him at playtime and try to keep him down.
(d) Tic Tac Toe
9. What did Hubert think of the soldiers?
(a) He wanted to be just like them.
(b) They scared him.
(c) He was in awe of them.
(d) He didn't like them, and he kept pretend shooting at them.
10. What did Jo say when they asked him if the shoe was the only thing he found?
(a) He said "no."
(b) He ran away.
(c) He said "yes."
(d) He refused to answer.
11. How does the man introduce himself?
(a) He says it's better that they not know each other.
(b) He is the priest's son.
(c) He tells Jo to just call him Monsieur.
(d) He uses sign language.
12. What does the Corporal offer to do for Jo?
(a) He offers to watch the sheep for Jo.
(b) He offers to help carry the food to Widow Horcada.
(c) He offers to help Jo with his homework.
(d) He offers to put Jo in contact with his father.
13. What did Jo do after the man walked off?
(a) He sat down to think for a while.
(b) He went back to the sheep.
(c) He followed him.
(d) He went back home.
14. What relationship does the man have to the widow?
(a) He is her son.
(b) He is her adopted son.
(c) He is her helper.
(d) He is her son-in-law.
15. Why was the widow concerned about Benjamin?
(a) He didn't know how to survive in the mountains.
(b) He had a tendency to talk too much.
(c) He was weak.
(d) He should have been back by then.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Grandpere hide the hunting rifle?
2. What does the widow know about Jo's father?
3. What do Benjamin and the widow need?
4. What impressed the widow about the boy?
5. Why was Rouf barking?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)