|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Grandpere hide the hunting rifle?
(a) Under the floorboards in his house.
(b) In a tomb
(c) In a cave
(d) He didn't. He turned it in.
2. What game did the children like playing with Hubert?
(b) He let them climb on him at playtime and try to keep him down.
(c) Tic Tac Toe
(d) Keep Away
3. What did Maman say about Hubert's actions?
(a) They were silly.
(b) They were wise.
(c) They could have gotten him killed.
(d) They were a disgrace.
4. What relationship does the man have to the widow?
(a) He is her adopted son.
(b) He is her helper.
(c) He is her son-in-law.
(d) He is her son.
5. What did Grandpere put on the rifle pile?
(b) A BB gun
(c) An ancient, rusted rifle
(d) A bow and arrow
6. Where did Jo think Benjamin and Leah might be hiding if they hadn't been caught?
(a) In Papa's hut
(b) In some bushes
(c) In the water
(d) Behind a tree
7. What was the man hiding in the barn?
(b) Jewish children
(c) Secret documents
8. How did Maman and Grandpere respond when Jo asked them why the Germans wanted to kill the Jews?
(a) They didn't know, and they said the Germans made up their rules as they went along.
(b) They told him to ask questions like that.
(c) They said Hitler was jealous of the Jews since they were God's Chosen People.
(d) They refused to talk or look at him until he changed the subject.
9. What did Laurent find on the class field trip?
(a) Leah's shoe
(b) An eagle
(c) A bear print.
(d) A plant the teacher couldn't identify
10. What does the man make the boy promise?
(a) That he will work hard until he is the boss
(b) To never mention him or the incident
(c) That he will never goe up that high in the mountain again
(d) That he will check the bear cub daily
11. Why did Jo go back to the pasture?
(a) He was looking for Rouf.
(b) He left his jacket there.
(c) He had left his gun.
(d) He wanted to make sure the sheep were now safe.
12. What was Grandpere talking with the German soldier about?
(a) What to do about Jo
(b) His son in the prison camp
(d) They had most likely fought against each other when they were young.
13. How does the man introduce himself?
(a) He tells Jo to just call him Monsieur.
(b) He uses sign language.
(c) He is the priest's son.
(d) He says it's better that they not know each other.
14. What did Jo do after the man walked off?
(a) He sat down to think for a while.
(b) He followed him.
(c) He went back to the sheep.
(d) He went back home.
15. How often should the boy come check on the widow?
(a) He should check in daily.
(b) He should check in once a week.
(c) He should never go back.
(d) He should check in once a month.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jo get the Corporal to stop helping him?
2. How did Grandpere respond to the widow's offer?
3. How did Jo feel about the Widow Horcada?
4. What does the widow know about Jo's father?
5. What was the name of his village?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)