|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Grandpere bring home from Widow Horcada's?
2. Why were Benjamin and Leah running the night before when he was injured?
(a) They wanted the exercise.
(b) They were chasing some Jewish children.
(c) They were having a race to the border.
(d) There were soldiers everywhere.
3. Why didn't Jo worry about the sheep?
(a) He knew Hubert would take care of them and bring them home.
(b) They could fend for themselves.
(c) He hated them anyway.
(d) He knew they would wander home.
4. What new rule did the Germans initiate in the town when they moved in?
(a) They had to use German money.
(b) They couldn't write any more letters to their loved ones.
(c) There was to be a strict curfew.
(d) They had to give the Germans a portion of their food supply.
5. What does the man say about the cub's mother?
(a) He said it was too bad the cub was now an orphan.
(b) He said the cub's mother wandered off.
(c) He said the cub's mother would come back soon.
(d) He tells Jo not to feel bad. He just did his job.
6. Who did the townspeople thank?
(a) Father Lasalle
(d) The Mayor
7. How many children were in the barn when the cow went dry?
(c) Just Leah
8. Why hadn't Benjamin come home?
(a) He hurt his ankle.
(b) He was lost.
(c) He wanted to search around for Anya.
(d) He wanted to find food first.
9. What impressed the widow about the boy?
(a) His strength
(b) His honesty
(c) His cleanliness
(d) His grasp of language
10. Where did Jo find the shoe?
(a) In the barn
(b) In the creek
(c) In the yard
(d) On the street
11. What had Rouf found?
(a) A bear cub
(b) Another stray sheep
(c) A wounded man
(d) A picnic basket
12. What did the widow ask if Jo could do?
(a) Check on her horse
(b) Wash her car
(c) Leave the room
(d) Carry her purchases home for her weekly
13. What does the widow know about Jo's father?
(a) She knows he is a prisoner-of-war.
(b) She knows that he is a vegetarian.
(c) She knows that he is coming home soon.
(d) She knows he is dead.
14. What do Benjamin and the widow need?
(b) Hired help
(c) More children
(d) A translator
15. What game did the children like playing with Hubert?
(a) He let them climb on him at playtime and try to keep him down.
(b) Keep Away
(c) Tic Tac Toe
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jo get the Corporal to stop helping him?
2. Why did Jo have to hurry to find Benjamin?
3. Where was the man from?
4. Why is the man hiding?
5. What did Jo say when they asked him if the shoe was the only thing he found?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)