|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of work did Hubert do?
(a) He was meticulous in documenting every detail.
(b) He took his task very seriously.
(c) He goofed around, but still got the work done.
(d) He was shoddy.
2. What did Grandpere do when he saw Widow Horcada?
(a) He turned his back on her.
(b) He laughed.
(c) He held out his arms and called to her.
(d) He spat on the ground.
3. Who was Christine?
(a) The schoolteacher
(b) Jo's little sister
(c) The leader of the children
(d) The neighbor
4. What payment would Jo receive for his work?
5. What did Jo do after the man walked off?
(a) He went back home.
(b) He sat down to think for a while.
(c) He followed him.
(d) He went back to the sheep.
6. What did Grandpere put on the rifle pile?
(a) A bow and arrow
(b) An ancient, rusted rifle
(c) A BB gun
7. What did the man agree to do?
(a) Drive the boy back to the village
(b) Help Jo get a job
(c) Leave the area
(d) Help the cub live
8. What does the widow know about Jo's father?
(a) She knows that he is a vegetarian.
(b) She knows he is dead.
(c) She knows that he is coming home soon.
(d) She knows he is a prisoner-of-war.
9. What did Jo do when he saw what Rouf was barking at?
(a) He grabbed his gun.
(b) He ran for help.
(c) He jumped into the water.
(d) He started chasing after the animals.
10. What did the situation make Benjamin determined to do?
(a) Break the soldier's leg
(b) Go back into hiding
(c) Find a way past the soldiers to get to freedom
(d) Find his daughter
11. Why did Benjamin, Leah, and Jo risk cutting across the open field?
(a) They were incredibly hungry.
(b) Benjamin was experiencing excruciating pain.
(c) It wasn't much of a risk since the patrols were up the mountain.
(d) It was their only chance of escaping from the soldiers.
12. Where were Benjamin and Leah hiding?
(a) In an abandoned car
(b) In a cave by the stream that they used as a donkey shed
(c) In the swamp
(d) Up in a tree
13. What happened to Anya?
(a) She got a job.
(b) She was injured and a relative was taking care of her.
(c) She was killed.
(d) She became separated from her father.
14. What did Jo say when they asked him if the shoe was the only thing he found?
(a) He said "no."
(b) He said "yes."
(c) He refused to answer.
(d) He ran away.
15. Why did the man stay with the widow?
(a) He knew she needed someone to work on the farm.
(b) He was waiting for Anya to find him.
(c) He knew she needed health care.
(d) He wanted to protect her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game did the children like playing with Hubert?
2. Where did Jo find the shoe?
3. Why did the widow need more supplies?
4. Who helped Jo with the sheep after the soldiers came to town?
5. How did Jo feel about the Widow Horcada?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)