|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of his village?
2. What did Grandpere do when he saw Widow Horcada?
(a) He held out his arms and called to her.
(b) He turned his back on her.
(c) He spat on the ground.
(d) He laughed.
3. What does the man say about the cub's mother?
(a) He said the cub's mother wandered off.
(b) He tells Jo not to feel bad. He just did his job.
(c) He said it was too bad the cub was now an orphan.
(d) He said the cub's mother would come back soon.
4. Who comes back to visit the man?
(a) His wife
(b) His daughter
(d) The bear
5. What did Maman say about Hubert's actions?
(a) They were silly.
(b) They were a disgrace.
(c) They were wise.
(d) They could have gotten him killed.
6. Why did the man stay with the widow?
(a) He knew she needed someone to work on the farm.
(b) He was waiting for Anya to find him.
(c) He knew she needed health care.
(d) He wanted to protect her.
7. How often did Jo get to see the children in the barn?
(a) Twice a month
(b) He wasn't allowed to see them.
(d) Once a week
8. Why was Jo able to go to the widow's house?
(a) He played hooky from school.
(b) His mother gave him the afternoon off.
(c) His grandfather sent him up on an errand.
(d) Hubert came along and watched the sheep for him.
9. How did Maman and Grandpere respond when Jo asked them why the Germans wanted to kill the Jews?
(a) They told him to ask questions like that.
(b) They didn't know, and they said the Germans made up their rules as they went along.
(c) They said Hitler was jealous of the Jews since they were God's Chosen People.
(d) They refused to talk or look at him until he changed the subject.
10. What does the man make the boy promise?
(a) That he will work hard until he is the boss
(b) That he will never goe up that high in the mountain again
(c) To never mention him or the incident
(d) That he will check the bear cub daily
11. What did Hubert make in the back of the classroom?
(d) Miniatures out of bread
12. Why hadn't Benjamin come home?
(a) He wanted to search around for Anya.
(b) He wanted to find food first.
(c) He was lost.
(d) He hurt his ankle.
13. Why was Rouf barking?
(a) Strangers were coming near the field.
(b) The sheep were all wandering off.
(c) One of the sheep was drowning.
(d) A bear was coming by the sheep.
14. Who did the townspeople thank?
(a) Father Lasalle
(d) The Mayor
15. What did the children do?
(a) They were taken inside for safekeeping.
(b) They sang songs about the occasion.
(c) They ran with the townspeople.
(d) They had to help hold a rope to drag the animal in.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children were in the barn when the cow went dry?
2. What did the widow ask if Jo could do?
3. How often should the boy come check on the widow?
4. What kind of work did Hubert do?
5. What impressed the widow about the boy?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)