|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Jo think Benjamin and Leah might be hiding if they hadn't been caught?
(a) In some bushes
(b) In Papa's hut
(c) Behind a tree
(d) In the water
2. Why did Benjamin, Leah, and Jo risk cutting across the open field?
(a) They were incredibly hungry.
(b) Benjamin was experiencing excruciating pain.
(c) It wasn't much of a risk since the patrols were up the mountain.
(d) It was their only chance of escaping from the soldiers.
3. How does the man introduce himself?
(a) He tells Jo to just call him Monsieur.
(b) He says it's better that they not know each other.
(c) He uses sign language.
(d) He is the priest's son.
4. What payment would Jo receive for his work?
5. What did the widow ask if Jo could do?
(a) Check on her horse
(b) Leave the room
(c) Carry her purchases home for her weekly
(d) Wash her car
6. What job did Jo have when the book started?
(a) He was watching the sheep.
(b) He tended the fire at the schoolhouse.
(c) He played the organ in church
(d) He worked at the store.
7. What happened to Anya?
(a) She got a job.
(b) She was injured and a relative was taking care of her.
(c) She was killed.
(d) She became separated from her father.
8. What game did the children like playing with Hubert?
(a) Tic Tac Toe
(b) He let them climb on him at playtime and try to keep him down.
(c) Keep Away
9. The soldiers were trying to prevent people's escape to where?
10. Who arrived in the village while Jo was gone?
(a) His father
(d) German soldiers
11. Why is the man hiding?
(a) He is a criminal on the run.
(b) He has some valuables he is protecting for someone else.
(c) He is a Jew.
(d) He made people angry, and they want to kill him.
12. What did Grandpere do when he saw Widow Horcada?
(a) He spat on the ground.
(b) He held out his arms and called to her.
(c) He laughed.
(d) He turned his back on her.
13. Why hadn't Benjamin come home?
(a) He was lost.
(b) He hurt his ankle.
(c) He wanted to search around for Anya.
(d) He wanted to find food first.
14. Where did Grandpere hide the hunting rifle?
(a) In a tomb
(b) Under the floorboards in his house.
(c) In a cave
(d) He didn't. He turned it in.
15. What excuse did Jo give at home regarding his lateness?
(a) He said he had seen an eagle.
(b) He said he was too busy helping the widow.
(c) He said he forgot the time.
(d) He said he twisted his ankle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often did Jo get to see the children in the barn?
2. Who did the townspeople thank?
3. What did the children do?
4. How did they know the rescue was successful?
5. What impressed the widow about the boy?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)