|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Laurent ask Jo to be his accomplice?
(a) Jo was great at making strategies.
(b) Jo always went along with his schemes.
(c) Jo had a deep voice.
(d) Jo never got in trouble.
2. What was unique about Hubert?
(a) He had six fingers on each hand.
(b) He was brilliant.
(c) He was orphaned when he was very young, and he raised himself.
(d) He was a giant with the mind of a child.
3. What does the widow know about Jo's father?
(a) She knows that he is a vegetarian.
(b) She knows that he is coming home soon.
(c) She knows he is a prisoner-of-war.
(d) She knows he is dead.
4. What did Laurent find on the class field trip?
(a) A bear print.
(b) An eagle
(c) A plant the teacher couldn't identify
(d) Leah's shoe
5. Why were the Germans setting all the rules?
(a) They were trying to protect the border from escapees.
(b) They were trying to protect the townspeople.
(c) They were trying to protect the children.
(d) They were trying to make life hard for the townspeople.
6. How did the soldiers gain acceptance in the village?
(a) They helped kill a bear.
(b) They made Hubert happy.
(c) They had a lot of money and hired people who needed jobs.
(d) They helped the farmers.
7. What did the children do?
(a) They ran with the townspeople.
(b) They had to help hold a rope to drag the animal in.
(c) They were taken inside for safekeeping.
(d) They sang songs about the occasion.
8. Why did the man stay with the widow?
(a) He knew she needed someone to work on the farm.
(b) He was waiting for Anya to find him.
(c) He wanted to protect her.
(d) He knew she needed health care.
9. Why is the man hiding?
(a) He made people angry, and they want to kill him.
(b) He is a Jew.
(c) He is a criminal on the run.
(d) He has some valuables he is protecting for someone else.
10. What does the man say about the cub's mother?
(a) He said the cub's mother wandered off.
(b) He said it was too bad the cub was now an orphan.
(c) He said the cub's mother would come back soon.
(d) He tells Jo not to feel bad. He just did his job.
11. What relationship does the man have to the widow?
(a) He is her son-in-law.
(b) He is her son.
(c) He is her adopted son.
(d) He is her helper.
12. What did Jo and Laurent pretend to be?
(b) German soldiers
13. What did Jo say when they asked him if the shoe was the only thing he found?
(a) He refused to answer.
(b) He said "no."
(c) He said "yes."
(d) He ran away.
14. What were the Germans in the village like?
(a) They were sadistic.
(c) They were tyrants.
(d) They were easily walked over.
15. How did Jo feel about the Widow Horcada?
(a) He loved her stories.
(b) He thought she was old and wise.
(c) He loved her cooking.
(d) She was a woman to avoid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Grandpere do when he saw Widow Horcada?
2. What excuse did Jo give at home regarding his lateness?
3. How did Grandpere respond to the widow's offer?
4. Who was Christine?
5. How did Maman and Grandpere respond when Jo asked them why the Germans wanted to kill the Jews?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)