Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the widow know about Jo's father?
(a) She knows he is dead.
(b) She knows that he is coming home soon.
(c) She knows he is a prisoner-of-war.
(d) She knows that he is a vegetarian.
2. What was a sign of spring in the village?
(a) School was out.
(b) The soldiers moving out
(c) The sound of sheep bells as they moved from one field to the next
(d) The sound of the organ
3. How did Jo feel about the Widow Horcada?
(a) He loved her cooking.
(b) She was a woman to avoid.
(c) He thought she was old and wise.
(d) He loved her stories.
4. What did Laurent find on the class field trip?
(a) Leah's shoe
(b) An eagle
(c) A bear print.
(d) A plant the teacher couldn't identify
5. Why were Benjamin and Leah running the night before when he was injured?
(a) They were chasing some Jewish children.
(b) They wanted the exercise.
(c) They were having a race to the border.
(d) There were soldiers everywhere.
6. Where did Grandpere hide the hunting rifle?
(a) In a tomb
(b) Under the floorboards in his house.
(c) He didn't. He turned it in.
(d) In a cave
7. Why was Rouf barking?
(a) The sheep were all wandering off.
(b) Strangers were coming near the field.
(c) One of the sheep was drowning.
(d) A bear was coming by the sheep.
8. How does the man introduce himself?
(a) He is the priest's son.
(b) He uses sign language.
(c) He says it's better that they not know each other.
(d) He tells Jo to just call him Monsieur.
9. What did Maman say about Hubert's actions?
(a) They were a disgrace.
(b) They could have gotten him killed.
(c) They were wise.
(d) They were silly.
10. Why was Jo able to go to the widow's house?
(a) Hubert came along and watched the sheep for him.
(b) His mother gave him the afternoon off.
(c) His grandfather sent him up on an errand.
(d) He played hooky from school.
11. Why is the man hiding?
(a) He made people angry, and they want to kill him.
(b) He is a criminal on the run.
(c) He has some valuables he is protecting for someone else.
(d) He is a Jew.
12. What was the man hiding in the barn?
(a) Secret documents
(b) Jewish children
13. What does the man say about the cub's mother?
(a) He tells Jo not to feel bad. He just did his job.
(b) He said the cub's mother wandered off.
(c) He said it was too bad the cub was now an orphan.
(d) He said the cub's mother would come back soon.
14. How did Jo know where to go?
(a) It was how they went to the summer pasture.
(b) He followed the directions the widow gave him.
(c) He followed a map.
(d) He looked for the trail Benjamin left.
15. What did the children do?
(a) They ran with the townspeople.
(b) They sang songs about the occasion.
(c) They were taken inside for safekeeping.
(d) They had to help hold a rope to drag the animal in.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often did Jo get to see the children in the barn?
2. What does the Corporal offer to do for Jo?
3. Where did Jo think Benjamin and Leah might be hiding if they hadn't been caught?
4. What did Jo and Laurent pretend to be?
5. What was the name of his village?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)