|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the widow know about Jo's father?
(a) She knows he is a prisoner-of-war.
(b) She knows that he is coming home soon.
(c) She knows he is dead.
(d) She knows that he is a vegetarian.
2. What impressed the widow about the boy?
(a) His grasp of language
(b) His cleanliness
(c) His strength
(d) His honesty
3. Who had sent the family a letter?
(a) The Widow
(b) Jo's dad
(c) The corporal
4. What excuse did Jo give at home regarding his lateness?
(a) He said he twisted his ankle.
(b) He said he forgot the time.
(c) He said he had seen an eagle.
(d) He said he was too busy helping the widow.
5. What did all the townspeople have to give up?
(a) Their guns
(b) Their jobs
(c) Their religion
(d) Their jewelry
6. Why did the man stay with the widow?
(a) He knew she needed someone to work on the farm.
(b) He knew she needed health care.
(c) He wanted to protect her.
(d) He was waiting for Anya to find him.
7. Why was Jo able to go to the widow's house?
(a) His grandfather sent him up on an errand.
(b) His mother gave him the afternoon off.
(c) Hubert came along and watched the sheep for him.
(d) He played hooky from school.
8. How did the widow and Benjamin plan to get what they needed?
(a) They wanted Jo to beg the soldiers for food.
(b) They were going to sell the pigs to Grandpere.
(c) They were going to plant a large garden.
(d) They were going to ask Jo to steal for them.
9. How does the man introduce himself?
(a) He uses sign language.
(b) He says it's better that they not know each other.
(c) He tells Jo to just call him Monsieur.
(d) He is the priest's son.
10. Where were Benjamin and Leah hiding?
(a) In the swamp
(b) In an abandoned car
(c) In a cave by the stream that they used as a donkey shed
(d) Up in a tree
11. why did Jo go back to the widow's house?
(a) He wanted to see the girl.
(b) He wanted to hear more stories.
(c) He wanted to warn her about the German soldiers.
(d) He wanted to check on the bear cub.
12. What did Jo say when they asked him if the shoe was the only thing he found?
(a) He refused to answer.
(b) He said "yes."
(c) He said "no."
(d) He ran away.
13. Where did Jo find the shoe?
(a) On the street
(b) In the yard
(c) In the barn
(d) In the creek
14. What did Laurent find on the class field trip?
(a) Leah's shoe
(b) A plant the teacher couldn't identify
(c) A bear print.
(d) An eagle
15. Who was Jo's companion as he watched the sheep?
(b) The pastor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the man hiding in the barn?
2. Who did Jo find at the widow's house when he went to warn her about the home inspections?
3. Who did the townspeople thank?
4. What were the Germans in the village like?
5. How were the townspeople called together?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)