|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was unique about Hubert?
(a) He was a giant with the mind of a child.
(b) He was orphaned when he was very young, and he raised himself.
(c) He had six fingers on each hand.
(d) He was brilliant.
2. Why is the man hiding?
(a) He made people angry, and they want to kill him.
(b) He is a criminal on the run.
(c) He is a Jew.
(d) He has some valuables he is protecting for someone else.
3. Why did Benjamin, Leah, and Jo risk cutting across the open field?
(a) They were incredibly hungry.
(b) It wasn't much of a risk since the patrols were up the mountain.
(c) Benjamin was experiencing excruciating pain.
(d) It was their only chance of escaping from the soldiers.
4. Where was the man from?
(b) Paris, France
5. Why did the man stay with the widow?
(a) He knew she needed someone to work on the farm.
(b) He was waiting for Anya to find him.
(c) He wanted to protect her.
(d) He knew she needed health care.
6. How did Grandpere respond to the widow's offer?
(a) He didn't understand it and said it didn't make sense.
(b) He refused to listen to the offer.
(c) He thought it was very smart.
(d) He was happy since he wanted an excuse to talk with the widow.
7. Who was Christine?
(a) The leader of the children
(b) Jo's little sister
(c) The neighbor
(d) The schoolteacher
8. Who was Jo's companion as he watched the sheep?
(a) The pastor.
9. What does the man say about the cub's mother?
(a) He said the cub's mother wandered off.
(b) He said the cub's mother would come back soon.
(c) He tells Jo not to feel bad. He just did his job.
(d) He said it was too bad the cub was now an orphan.
10. Why hadn't Benjamin come home?
(a) He was lost.
(b) He hurt his ankle.
(c) He wanted to find food first.
(d) He wanted to search around for Anya.
11. How did Maman and Grandpere respond when Jo asked them why the Germans wanted to kill the Jews?
(a) They didn't know, and they said the Germans made up their rules as they went along.
(b) They told him to ask questions like that.
(c) They said Hitler was jealous of the Jews since they were God's Chosen People.
(d) They refused to talk or look at him until he changed the subject.
12. Where did Jo find the shoe?
(a) In the barn
(b) In the creek
(c) In the yard
(d) On the street
13. What were Jo's nightmares about?
(b) His father
(c) Jewish children
(d) Bears and soldiers
14. The soldiers were trying to prevent people's escape to where?
15. What impressed the widow about the boy?
(a) His cleanliness
(b) His honesty
(c) His strength
(d) His grasp of language
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jo do when he saw what Rouf was barking at?
2. What payment would Jo receive for his work?
3. Who arrived in the village while Jo was gone?
4. What did Grandpere put on the rifle pile?
5. Why was Jo able to go to the widow's house?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)