|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the man from?
(b) Paris, France
2. Where were Benjamin and Leah hiding?
(a) In an abandoned car
(b) Up in a tree
(c) In the swamp
(d) In a cave by the stream that they used as a donkey shed
3. Why were Benjamin and Leah running the night before when he was injured?
(a) They were chasing some Jewish children.
(b) There were soldiers everywhere.
(c) They were having a race to the border.
(d) They wanted the exercise.
4. What payment would Jo receive for his work?
5. Why hadn't Benjamin come home?
(a) He wanted to search around for Anya.
(b) He hurt his ankle.
(c) He was lost.
(d) He wanted to find food first.
6. why did Jo go back to the widow's house?
(a) He wanted to see the girl.
(b) He wanted to check on the bear cub.
(c) He wanted to warn her about the German soldiers.
(d) He wanted to hear more stories.
7. What kind of work did Hubert do?
(a) He was shoddy.
(b) He goofed around, but still got the work done.
(c) He took his task very seriously.
(d) He was meticulous in documenting every detail.
8. Why did the man stay with the widow?
(a) He knew she needed someone to work on the farm.
(b) He wanted to protect her.
(c) He knew she needed health care.
(d) He was waiting for Anya to find him.
9. What did Hubert make in the back of the classroom?
(a) Miniatures out of bread
10. How does Jo get the Corporal to stop helping him?
(a) He tells the Corporal he hates him.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He says he won't get paid.
(d) He yells at the man then stomps off.
11. What did the children do?
(a) They sang songs about the occasion.
(b) They were taken inside for safekeeping.
(c) They ran with the townspeople.
(d) They had to help hold a rope to drag the animal in.
12. Why were the Germans setting all the rules?
(a) They were trying to protect the border from escapees.
(b) They were trying to make life hard for the townspeople.
(c) They were trying to protect the children.
(d) They were trying to protect the townspeople.
13. What was a sign of spring in the village?
(a) The sound of the organ
(b) The soldiers moving out
(c) The sound of sheep bells as they moved from one field to the next
(d) School was out.
14. How did the widow and Benjamin plan to get what they needed?
(a) They wanted Jo to beg the soldiers for food.
(b) They were going to ask Jo to steal for them.
(c) They were going to sell the pigs to Grandpere.
(d) They were going to plant a large garden.
15. What did the widow ask if Jo could do?
(a) Wash her car
(b) Check on her horse
(c) Leave the room
(d) Carry her purchases home for her weekly
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jo and Laurent pretend to be?
2. Why did Jo have to hurry to find Benjamin?
3. Where was Jo's father?
4. Why is the man hiding?
5. What does the Corporal offer to do for Jo?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)