|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jo and Laurent pretend to be?
(b) German soldiers
2. What does the widow know about Jo's father?
(a) She knows he is dead.
(b) She knows that he is coming home soon.
(c) She knows he is a prisoner-of-war.
(d) She knows that he is a vegetarian.
3. What did the man agree to do?
(a) Help the cub live
(b) Help Jo get a job
(c) Leave the area
(d) Drive the boy back to the village
4. Why were Benjamin and Leah running the night before when he was injured?
(a) They wanted the exercise.
(b) They were having a race to the border.
(c) There were soldiers everywhere.
(d) They were chasing some Jewish children.
5. What new rule did the Germans initiate in the town when they moved in?
(a) They couldn't write any more letters to their loved ones.
(b) There was to be a strict curfew.
(c) They had to use German money.
(d) They had to give the Germans a portion of their food supply.
6. What had Rouf found?
(a) Another stray sheep
(b) A picnic basket
(c) A bear cub
(d) A wounded man
7. Why didn't Jo worry about the sheep?
(a) He knew they would wander home.
(b) He knew Hubert would take care of them and bring them home.
(c) He hated them anyway.
(d) They could fend for themselves.
8. Who helped Jo with the sheep after the soldiers came to town?
(a) His grandfather
(b) His mother
(c) The widow
(d) His sister
9. What did Maman say about Hubert's actions?
(a) They could have gotten him killed.
(b) They were a disgrace.
(c) They were wise.
(d) They were silly.
10. Where were Benjamin and Leah hiding?
(a) In the swamp
(b) In an abandoned car
(c) In a cave by the stream that they used as a donkey shed
(d) Up in a tree
11. Who was Jo's companion as he watched the sheep?
(b) The pastor.
12. Why was Rouf barking?
(a) The sheep were all wandering off.
(b) Strangers were coming near the field.
(c) One of the sheep was drowning.
(d) A bear was coming by the sheep.
13. Where did the man live?
(a) In a tent in the woods
(b) In a cabin by the stream
(c) In the village
(d) At Widow Horcada's farm
14. What was Grandpere talking with the German soldier about?
(a) They had most likely fought against each other when they were young.
(b) What to do about Jo
(c) His son in the prison camp
15. How often did Jo get to see the children in the barn?
(b) Twice a month
(c) He wasn't allowed to see them.
(d) Once a week
Short Answer Questions
1. The soldiers were trying to prevent people's escape to where?
2. What did Laurent find on the class field trip?
3. What were the Germans in the village like?
4. Why did Laurent ask Jo to be his accomplice?
5. What does the man say about the cub's mother?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)