|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The soldiers were trying to prevent people's escape to where?
2. What did Maman say about Hubert's actions?
(a) They were wise.
(b) They were silly.
(c) They were a disgrace.
(d) They could have gotten him killed.
3. Where did Jo think Benjamin and Leah might be hiding if they hadn't been caught?
(a) Behind a tree
(b) In Papa's hut
(c) In the water
(d) In some bushes
4. Why was Jo able to go to the widow's house?
(a) His grandfather sent him up on an errand.
(b) Hubert came along and watched the sheep for him.
(c) His mother gave him the afternoon off.
(d) He played hooky from school.
5. What did all the townspeople have to give up?
(a) Their religion
(b) Their jobs
(c) Their guns
(d) Their jewelry
6. Where did the man live?
(a) In a cabin by the stream
(b) In a tent in the woods
(c) At Widow Horcada's farm
(d) In the village
7. What does the man say about the cub's mother?
(a) He tells Jo not to feel bad. He just did his job.
(b) He said the cub's mother wandered off.
(c) He said the cub's mother would come back soon.
(d) He said it was too bad the cub was now an orphan.
8. How old was Jo when the book began?
9. Who did Jo encounter as he looked for Benjamin?
(a) A German patrol
(b) The corporal
(c) His sister
10. How often did Jo get to see the children in the barn?
(a) Once a week
(b) Twice a month
(c) He wasn't allowed to see them.
11. Why was Rouf barking?
(a) The sheep were all wandering off.
(b) A bear was coming by the sheep.
(c) One of the sheep was drowning.
(d) Strangers were coming near the field.
12. What happened to Anya?
(a) She was injured and a relative was taking care of her.
(b) She became separated from her father.
(c) She was killed.
(d) She got a job.
13. What was Grandpere talking with the German soldier about?
(b) What to do about Jo
(c) His son in the prison camp
(d) They had most likely fought against each other when they were young.
14. What did Jo do when he saw what Rouf was barking at?
(a) He ran for help.
(b) He jumped into the water.
(c) He grabbed his gun.
(d) He started chasing after the animals.
15. What had Rouf found?
(a) A bear cub
(b) Another stray sheep
(c) A wounded man
(d) A picnic basket
Short Answer Questions
1. Who came to help Jo?
2. Who was Christine?
3. How did Jo know where to go?
4. Who unexpectedly followed Jo when he took Grandpere up to the widow's house?
5. How did the soldiers gain acceptance in the village?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)