|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. why did Jo go back to the widow's house?
(a) He wanted to check on the bear cub.
(b) He wanted to warn her about the German soldiers.
(c) He wanted to hear more stories.
(d) He wanted to see the girl.
2. How does Jo get the Corporal to stop helping him?
(a) He yells at the man then stomps off.
(b) He tells the Corporal he hates him.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He says he won't get paid.
3. How did Jo feel about the Widow Horcada?
(a) He loved her cooking.
(b) She was a woman to avoid.
(c) He loved her stories.
(d) He thought she was old and wise.
4. What did the children do?
(a) They sang songs about the occasion.
(b) They ran with the townspeople.
(c) They were taken inside for safekeeping.
(d) They had to help hold a rope to drag the animal in.
5. What relationship does the man have to the widow?
(a) He is her son-in-law.
(b) He is her adopted son.
(c) He is her son.
(d) He is her helper.
6. How many children were in the barn when the cow went dry?
(a) Just Leah
7. How often did Jo get to see the children in the barn?
(a) Once a week
(b) Twice a month
(d) He wasn't allowed to see them.
8. Where did Grandpere hide the hunting rifle?
(a) He didn't. He turned it in.
(b) In a tomb
(c) Under the floorboards in his house.
(d) In a cave
9. Who unexpectedly followed Jo when he took Grandpere up to the widow's house?
(b) The corporal
10. Where was the man from?
(b) Paris, France
11. How does the widow want the boy to treat her in the village?
(a) With respect
(b) He should act as if he's afraid of her.
(c) Normally, without smiling at her.
(d) He should act as if he's repulsed by her.
12. The soldiers were trying to prevent people's escape to where?
13. What happened to Anya?
(a) She got a job.
(b) She was killed.
(c) She became separated from her father.
(d) She was injured and a relative was taking care of her.
14. Why did Jo have to hurry to find Benjamin?
(a) He had to get home before curfew.
(b) They were going to be late for a meeting.
(c) He knew Benjamin might be dying somewhere.
(d) There were only a few hours of daylight left.
15. What kind of work did Hubert do?
(a) He was meticulous in documenting every detail.
(b) He goofed around, but still got the work done.
(c) He took his task very seriously.
(d) He was shoddy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game did the children like playing with Hubert?
2. How old was Jo when the book began?
3. Why did Benjamin, Leah, and Jo risk cutting across the open field?
4. What did Grandpere do when he saw Widow Horcada?
5. What did Jo say when they asked him if the shoe was the only thing he found?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)