|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was a sign of spring in the village?
(a) The sound of sheep bells as they moved from one field to the next
(b) School was out.
(c) The soldiers moving out
(d) The sound of the organ
2. why did Jo go back to the widow's house?
(a) He wanted to hear more stories.
(b) He wanted to see the girl.
(c) He wanted to warn her about the German soldiers.
(d) He wanted to check on the bear cub.
3. What did Jo do after the man walked off?
(a) He followed him.
(b) He went back home.
(c) He went back to the sheep.
(d) He sat down to think for a while.
4. What was unique about Hubert?
(a) He was brilliant.
(b) He had six fingers on each hand.
(c) He was a giant with the mind of a child.
(d) He was orphaned when he was very young, and he raised himself.
5. What had Rouf found?
(a) A picnic basket
(b) Another stray sheep
(c) A bear cub
(d) A wounded man
6. What did the children do?
(a) They had to help hold a rope to drag the animal in.
(b) They sang songs about the occasion.
(c) They ran with the townspeople.
(d) They were taken inside for safekeeping.
7. How did Grandpere respond to the widow's offer?
(a) He was happy since he wanted an excuse to talk with the widow.
(b) He didn't understand it and said it didn't make sense.
(c) He refused to listen to the offer.
(d) He thought it was very smart.
8. Why was the widow concerned about Benjamin?
(a) He should have been back by then.
(b) He had a tendency to talk too much.
(c) He was weak.
(d) He didn't know how to survive in the mountains.
9. What game did the children like playing with Hubert?
(a) He let them climb on him at playtime and try to keep him down.
(c) Keep Away
(d) Tic Tac Toe
10. The soldiers were trying to prevent people's escape to where?
11. Why was Jo able to go to the widow's house?
(a) His mother gave him the afternoon off.
(b) Hubert came along and watched the sheep for him.
(c) His grandfather sent him up on an errand.
(d) He played hooky from school.
12. What payment would Jo receive for his work?
13. Why hadn't Benjamin come home?
(a) He wanted to find food first.
(b) He was lost.
(c) He wanted to search around for Anya.
(d) He hurt his ankle.
14. Why did Benjamin, Leah, and Jo risk cutting across the open field?
(a) They were incredibly hungry.
(b) It wasn't much of a risk since the patrols were up the mountain.
(c) Benjamin was experiencing excruciating pain.
(d) It was their only chance of escaping from the soldiers.
15. What was the man hiding in the barn?
(a) Jewish children
(b) Secret documents
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the man hiding?
2. Why were Benjamin and Leah running the night before when he was injured?
3. What did Grandpere do when he saw Widow Horcada?
4. Who unexpectedly followed Jo when he took Grandpere up to the widow's house?
5. In the celebration of the capture, what was suddenly forgotten?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)