|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was the widow concerned about Benjamin?
(a) He was weak.
(b) He had a tendency to talk too much.
(c) He didn't know how to survive in the mountains.
(d) He should have been back by then.
2. How did Jo know where to go?
(a) He followed a map.
(b) It was how they went to the summer pasture.
(c) He looked for the trail Benjamin left.
(d) He followed the directions the widow gave him.
3. What did Maman say about Hubert's actions?
(a) They were wise.
(b) They could have gotten him killed.
(c) They were silly.
(d) They were a disgrace.
4. The soldiers were trying to prevent people's escape to where?
5. Why were Benjamin and Leah running the night before when he was injured?
(a) There were soldiers everywhere.
(b) They wanted the exercise.
(c) They were chasing some Jewish children.
(d) They were having a race to the border.
6. What impressed the widow about the boy?
(a) His honesty
(b) His strength
(c) His grasp of language
(d) His cleanliness
7. Why did Benjamin, Leah, and Jo risk cutting across the open field?
(a) Benjamin was experiencing excruciating pain.
(b) It wasn't much of a risk since the patrols were up the mountain.
(c) They were incredibly hungry.
(d) It was their only chance of escaping from the soldiers.
8. What does the widow know about Jo's father?
(a) She knows that he is coming home soon.
(b) She knows that he is a vegetarian.
(c) She knows he is a prisoner-of-war.
(d) She knows he is dead.
9. What did Jo say when they asked him if the shoe was the only thing he found?
(a) He said "no."
(b) He said "yes."
(c) He refused to answer.
(d) He ran away.
10. What did Hubert think of the soldiers?
(a) He didn't like them, and he kept pretend shooting at them.
(b) He wanted to be just like them.
(c) They scared him.
(d) He was in awe of them.
11. Why did the man stay with the widow?
(a) He knew she needed health care.
(b) He was waiting for Anya to find him.
(c) He wanted to protect her.
(d) He knew she needed someone to work on the farm.
12. Who unexpectedly followed Jo when he took Grandpere up to the widow's house?
(a) The corporal
13. What was the man hiding in the barn?
(a) Secret documents
(c) Jewish children
14. How does the man introduce himself?
(a) He says it's better that they not know each other.
(b) He tells Jo to just call him Monsieur.
(c) He is the priest's son.
(d) He uses sign language.
15. What did Jo do after the man walked off?
(a) He went back home.
(b) He went back to the sheep.
(c) He sat down to think for a while.
(d) He followed him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jo find the shoe?
2. How often should the boy come check on the widow?
3. What game did the children like playing with Hubert?
4. Why didn't Jo worry about the sheep?
5. What was the name of his village?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)