|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job did Jo have when the book started?
(a) He was watching the sheep.
(b) He worked at the store.
(c) He played the organ in church
(d) He tended the fire at the schoolhouse.
2. Why did Laurent ask Jo to be his accomplice?
(a) Jo never got in trouble.
(b) Jo had a deep voice.
(c) Jo always went along with his schemes.
(d) Jo was great at making strategies.
3. What relationship does the man have to the widow?
(a) He is her adopted son.
(b) He is her son-in-law.
(c) He is her helper.
(d) He is her son.
4. Who comes back to visit the man?
(b) The bear
(c) His wife
(d) His daughter
5. What were the Germans in the village like?
(a) They were easily walked over.
(b) They were tyrants.
(c) They were sadistic.
6. What kind of work did Hubert do?
(a) He was shoddy.
(b) He was meticulous in documenting every detail.
(c) He goofed around, but still got the work done.
(d) He took his task very seriously.
7. Why was Jo able to go to the widow's house?
(a) His mother gave him the afternoon off.
(b) He played hooky from school.
(c) His grandfather sent him up on an errand.
(d) Hubert came along and watched the sheep for him.
8. What does the man make the boy promise?
(a) To never mention him or the incident
(b) That he will check the bear cub daily
(c) That he will never goe up that high in the mountain again
(d) That he will work hard until he is the boss
9. How did the soldiers gain acceptance in the village?
(a) They had a lot of money and hired people who needed jobs.
(b) They helped kill a bear.
(c) They helped the farmers.
(d) They made Hubert happy.
10. What excuse did Jo give at home regarding his lateness?
(a) He said he had seen an eagle.
(b) He said he was too busy helping the widow.
(c) He said he forgot the time.
(d) He said he twisted his ankle.
11. What did Grandpere put on the rifle pile?
(b) A BB gun
(c) A bow and arrow
(d) An ancient, rusted rifle
12. Who did Jo encounter as he looked for Benjamin?
(a) A German patrol
(b) His sister
(c) The corporal
13. What did the situation make Benjamin determined to do?
(a) Find a way past the soldiers to get to freedom
(b) Go back into hiding
(c) Find his daughter
(d) Break the soldier's leg
14. How old was Jo when the book began?
15. Who did Jo find at the widow's house when he went to warn her about the home inspections?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the man live?
2. What did Jo and Laurent pretend to be?
3. What do Benjamin and the widow need?
4. How would Benjamin disguise himself at the farm?
5. Who arrived in the village while Jo was gone?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)