|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had sent the family a letter?
(a) The corporal
(b) Jo's dad
(d) The Widow
2. What did Jo do after the man walked off?
(a) He followed him.
(b) He went back to the sheep.
(c) He went back home.
(d) He sat down to think for a while.
3. What did Jo and Laurent pretend to be?
(b) German soldiers
4. Why didn't Jo worry about the sheep?
(a) He hated them anyway.
(b) They could fend for themselves.
(c) He knew they would wander home.
(d) He knew Hubert would take care of them and bring them home.
5. Where did Jo find the shoe?
(a) In the barn
(b) On the street
(c) In the yard
(d) In the creek
6. How often did Jo get to see the children in the barn?
(a) Once a week
(c) He wasn't allowed to see them.
(d) Twice a month
7. Why did Laurent ask Jo to be his accomplice?
(a) Jo never got in trouble.
(b) Jo always went along with his schemes.
(c) Jo had a deep voice.
(d) Jo was great at making strategies.
8. Where did Jo think Benjamin and Leah might be hiding if they hadn't been caught?
(a) In Papa's hut
(b) In the water
(c) In some bushes
(d) Behind a tree
9. What new rule did the Germans initiate in the town when they moved in?
(a) There was to be a strict curfew.
(b) They couldn't write any more letters to their loved ones.
(c) They had to use German money.
(d) They had to give the Germans a portion of their food supply.
10. Why was Jo able to go to the widow's house?
(a) His grandfather sent him up on an errand.
(b) Hubert came along and watched the sheep for him.
(c) He played hooky from school.
(d) His mother gave him the afternoon off.
11. Who was Christine?
(a) The schoolteacher
(b) Jo's little sister
(c) The neighbor
(d) The leader of the children
12. How old was Jo when the book began?
13. What did Maman say about Hubert's actions?
(a) They were silly.
(b) They were a disgrace.
(c) They could have gotten him killed.
(d) They were wise.
14. Why were the Germans setting all the rules?
(a) They were trying to protect the border from escapees.
(b) They were trying to make life hard for the townspeople.
(c) They were trying to protect the townspeople.
(d) They were trying to protect the children.
15. Why did the man stay with the widow?
(a) He knew she needed health care.
(b) He knew she needed someone to work on the farm.
(c) He wanted to protect her.
(d) He was waiting for Anya to find him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Jo have to hurry to find Benjamin?
2. In the celebration of the capture, what was suddenly forgotten?
3. What was the man hiding in the barn?
4. What was a sign of spring in the village?
5. What did the strange man bring?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)