|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Jo when the book began?
2. Why did Benjamin, Leah, and Jo risk cutting across the open field?
(a) Benjamin was experiencing excruciating pain.
(b) It was their only chance of escaping from the soldiers.
(c) They were incredibly hungry.
(d) It wasn't much of a risk since the patrols were up the mountain.
3. What did all the townspeople have to give up?
(a) Their jewelry
(b) Their religion
(c) Their guns
(d) Their jobs
4. How does the man introduce himself?
(a) He tells Jo to just call him Monsieur.
(b) He says it's better that they not know each other.
(c) He uses sign language.
(d) He is the priest's son.
5. Why did the man stay with the widow?
(a) He was waiting for Anya to find him.
(b) He wanted to protect her.
(c) He knew she needed someone to work on the farm.
(d) He knew she needed health care.
6. Where was the man from?
(b) Paris, France
7. why did Jo go back to the widow's house?
(a) He wanted to see the girl.
(b) He wanted to check on the bear cub.
(c) He wanted to warn her about the German soldiers.
(d) He wanted to hear more stories.
8. How would Benjamin disguise himself at the farm?
(a) He would put the widow's shawl over his head.
(b) He wore a mask.
(c) He shaved his head and dirtied his face.
(d) He dressed like a vagabond.
9. In the celebration of the capture, what was suddenly forgotten?
(b) The war
(c) The children's bedtime
10. Why did Laurent ask Jo to be his accomplice?
(a) Jo was great at making strategies.
(b) Jo had a deep voice.
(c) Jo never got in trouble.
(d) Jo always went along with his schemes.
11. What were Jo's nightmares about?
(b) Bears and soldiers
(c) Jewish children
(d) His father
12. What did the man agree to do?
(a) Help Jo get a job
(b) Help the cub live
(c) Leave the area
(d) Drive the boy back to the village
13. Why didn't Jo worry about the sheep?
(a) He knew Hubert would take care of them and bring them home.
(b) He knew they would wander home.
(c) They could fend for themselves.
(d) He hated them anyway.
14. Who had sent the family a letter?
(a) Jo's dad
(b) The Widow
(c) The corporal
15. Who was Jo's companion as he watched the sheep?
(d) The pastor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were the townspeople called together?
2. Where did Jo think Benjamin and Leah might be hiding if they hadn't been caught?
3. What does the Corporal offer to do for Jo?
4. Who was Christine?
5. What did the widow ask if Jo could do?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)