|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jo know where to go?
(a) He followed a map.
(b) It was how they went to the summer pasture.
(c) He looked for the trail Benjamin left.
(d) He followed the directions the widow gave him.
2. Who did Jo encounter as he looked for Benjamin?
(a) The corporal
(c) His sister
(d) A German patrol
3. Why was Rouf barking?
(a) Strangers were coming near the field.
(b) A bear was coming by the sheep.
(c) The sheep were all wandering off.
(d) One of the sheep was drowning.
4. How many children were in the barn when the cow went dry?
(c) Just Leah
5. Why hadn't Benjamin come home?
(a) He wanted to find food first.
(b) He wanted to search around for Anya.
(c) He hurt his ankle.
(d) He was lost.
6. How does the man introduce himself?
(a) He tells Jo to just call him Monsieur.
(b) He uses sign language.
(c) He says it's better that they not know each other.
(d) He is the priest's son.
7. What impressed the widow about the boy?
(a) His strength
(b) His cleanliness
(c) His grasp of language
(d) His honesty
8. What new rule did the Germans initiate in the town when they moved in?
(a) They had to use German money.
(b) They couldn't write any more letters to their loved ones.
(c) They had to give the Germans a portion of their food supply.
(d) There was to be a strict curfew.
9. What did the strange man bring?
(a) A first-aid kit
(b) Milk for the cub
(c) Meat for Rouf
10. What were the Germans in the village like?
(a) They were sadistic.
(b) They were tyrants.
(c) They were easily walked over.
11. In the celebration of the capture, what was suddenly forgotten?
(b) The children's bedtime
(c) The war
12. Where was Jo's father?
(a) He was working in the village.
(b) He was at war.
(c) He was tending the sheep.
(d) He died a few years ago.
13. How were the townspeople called together?
(a) Hubert would go around beating the drum.
(b) They would ring the town bell.
(c) They fired a canon.
(d) A siren would wail.
14. What did Jo do after the man walked off?
(a) He sat down to think for a while.
(b) He went back home.
(c) He went back to the sheep.
(d) He followed him.
15. Why were the Germans setting all the rules?
(a) They were trying to protect the townspeople.
(b) They were trying to protect the children.
(c) They were trying to make life hard for the townspeople.
(d) They were trying to protect the border from escapees.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the man hiding?
2. Who was Christine?
3. Who comes back to visit the man?
4. Why was the widow concerned about Benjamin?
5. Why didn't Jo worry about the sheep?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)