|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hubert make in the back of the classroom?
(d) Miniatures out of bread
2. How would Benjamin disguise himself at the farm?
(a) He dressed like a vagabond.
(b) He wore a mask.
(c) He shaved his head and dirtied his face.
(d) He would put the widow's shawl over his head.
3. Why was the widow concerned about Benjamin?
(a) He should have been back by then.
(b) He had a tendency to talk too much.
(c) He was weak.
(d) He didn't know how to survive in the mountains.
4. Why didn't Jo worry about the sheep?
(a) He hated them anyway.
(b) He knew Hubert would take care of them and bring them home.
(c) He knew they would wander home.
(d) They could fend for themselves.
5. What were the Germans in the village like?
(a) They were tyrants.
(b) They were easily walked over.
(d) They were sadistic.
6. Where did Jo find the shoe?
(a) In the barn
(b) In the yard
(c) On the street
(d) In the creek
7. What job did Jo have when the book started?
(a) He worked at the store.
(b) He tended the fire at the schoolhouse.
(c) He was watching the sheep.
(d) He played the organ in church
8. What does the man make the boy promise?
(a) That he will work hard until he is the boss
(b) That he will check the bear cub daily
(c) That he will never goe up that high in the mountain again
(d) To never mention him or the incident
9. What payment would Jo receive for his work?
10. Why were Benjamin and Leah running the night before when he was injured?
(a) They were having a race to the border.
(b) They were chasing some Jewish children.
(c) They wanted the exercise.
(d) There were soldiers everywhere.
11. What does the Corporal offer to do for Jo?
(a) He offers to put Jo in contact with his father.
(b) He offers to help Jo with his homework.
(c) He offers to watch the sheep for Jo.
(d) He offers to help carry the food to Widow Horcada.
12. What was Grandpere talking with the German soldier about?
(a) What to do about Jo
(b) His son in the prison camp
(c) They had most likely fought against each other when they were young.
13. How often should the boy come check on the widow?
(a) He should check in once a month.
(b) He should check in daily.
(c) He should check in once a week.
(d) He should never go back.
14. What did the situation make Benjamin determined to do?
(a) Find his daughter
(b) Go back into hiding
(c) Break the soldier's leg
(d) Find a way past the soldiers to get to freedom
15. How did they know the rescue was successful?
(a) It wasn't successful. They came home silent and depressed.
(b) It was printed in the newspaper.
(c) They heard a shot then watched a triumphant procession as they returned.
(d) Grandpere brought the sheep home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse did Jo give at home regarding his lateness?
2. What did Hubert think of the soldiers?
3. What did Jo do when he saw what Rouf was barking at?
4. Why were the Germans setting all the rules?
5. How were the townspeople called together?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)