|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were the Germans setting all the rules?
(a) They were trying to protect the border from escapees.
(b) They were trying to protect the townspeople.
(c) They were trying to protect the children.
(d) They were trying to make life hard for the townspeople.
2. Where was the man from?
(d) Paris, France
3. What did Jo and Laurent pretend to be?
(a) German soldiers
4. Why did Jo have to hurry to find Benjamin?
(a) There were only a few hours of daylight left.
(b) They were going to be late for a meeting.
(c) He knew Benjamin might be dying somewhere.
(d) He had to get home before curfew.
5. What was Grandpere talking with the German soldier about?
(b) They had most likely fought against each other when they were young.
(c) His son in the prison camp
(d) What to do about Jo
6. Where did Grandpere hide the hunting rifle?
(a) He didn't. He turned it in.
(b) In a cave
(c) Under the floorboards in his house.
(d) In a tomb
7. Who arrived in the village while Jo was gone?
(a) His father
(c) German soldiers
8. What had Rouf found?
(a) A wounded man
(b) Another stray sheep
(c) A picnic basket
(d) A bear cub
9. How did Jo feel about the Widow Horcada?
(a) She was a woman to avoid.
(b) He thought she was old and wise.
(c) He loved her cooking.
(d) He loved her stories.
10. What did the man agree to do?
(a) Leave the area
(b) Drive the boy back to the village
(c) Help Jo get a job
(d) Help the cub live
11. What did Hubert make in the back of the classroom?
(c) Miniatures out of bread
12. Who came to help Jo?
(a) Everyone in the town-even mothers and children
(b) The children
(c) The men in the town came to help with their dogs.
13. How did the soldiers gain acceptance in the village?
(a) They had a lot of money and hired people who needed jobs.
(b) They helped kill a bear.
(c) They helped the farmers.
(d) They made Hubert happy.
14. Who was Christine?
(a) The leader of the children
(b) Jo's little sister
(c) The neighbor
(d) The schoolteacher
15. How did Jo know where to go?
(a) He looked for the trail Benjamin left.
(b) It was how they went to the summer pasture.
(c) He followed a map.
(d) He followed the directions the widow gave him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often did Jo get to see the children in the barn?
2. Where was Jo's father?
3. What happened to Anya?
4. Where were Benjamin and Leah hiding?
5. What excuse did Jo give at home regarding his lateness?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)