Chapter abstracts are short descriptions of events that occur in each chapter. They highlight major plot events and detail the important relationships and characteristics of characters and objects. The Chapter Abstracts can be used to review what the students have read, or to prepare the students for what they will read. Hand the abstracts out in class as a study guide, or use them as a "key" for a class discussion. They are relatively brief, but can serve to be an excellent refresher of the text for either a student or teacher.
Chapters 1-2 Abstract
* Jo falls asleep watching the sheep.
* The dog barks when a bear shows up.
* Jo runs for help.
Chapter 3 Abstract
* The village men kill the bear.
* Jo goes to find his dog.
* He finds his dog, a bear cub, and a strange man.
* The man says to pretend they never met.
Chapter 4 Abstract
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)