|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At a minimum, how many immigrants arrived in New York from Britain in the two years before the war and it is likely that another 1,300 also arrived?
2. Who helps James Hogg by arranging to have a vessel sent north to transport James and his family?
3. Who are the first to inspect the province of West Florida?
4. Grants that are given are revocable unless _____________ of the land was populated within three years with one person for every hundred acres.
5. What is one way that West Florida differs from East Florida?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is one of the first larger groups to migrate to West Florida? Describe their arrival.
2. What does the Register reveal about Whitby?
3. What does the author say about the intelligence part of this network?
4. How are indentured servants often sold?
5. What does the author say about Nova Scotia in the period before the American Revolution?
6. What is extraordinary about the cases that have been examined?
7. Why is the location of a servant sale important to buyers?
8. What takes place to provide maps of the region?
9. How are servants paid?
10. How were these new lands divided?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Workers face hardships during the emigration process.
Part 1) What hardships did they face? Why?
Part 2) How were they affected by the hardships? Does this affect the number of people emigrating? Why or why not?
Part 3) Why might someone continue through this tough emigration process? Why kept them from giving up? What does this say about those who immigrated to the Americas?
Essay Topic 2
Demand for labor is high in the colonies.
Part 1) Why was it high? How did this affect Great Britain?
Part 2) How is this related to Great Britain fear of expansion in the colonies?
Part 3) How does this need affect both those in Great Britain and in the United States? How does it affect the way in which the colonies are settled? How does this compare to supply and demand today?
Essay Topic 3
An overwhelming number of Scottish immigrants ended up in specific colonies.
Part 1) How has this happened? How does this parallel the settling of other colonies?
Part 2) How is this settling reflected in various cultural societies' settlements today?
Part 3) How have these Scottish people helped to create the culture in these areas today?
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)