|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. 16 of these ships came from England and how many came from Scotland?
2. During the seventeenth century, who are the only people who would continue to use this service?
3. Where do these first settlers go?
4. Where is a new British naval base and provincial capital built?
5. How would the seller wait when the buyers surveyed the servants?
Short Essay Questions
1. How else do merchants recruit workers?
2. Who is James Hogg? What does he try to do? Does he succeed?
3. How were these new lands divided?
4. Why is the location of a servant sale important to sellers?
5. What does the author say about East Florida?
6. What does the Register reveal about Whitby?
7. On what do merchants and their agents rely? Why?
8. What is one way that West Florida differs from East Florida? Is this good? Why or why not?
9. Who is one of the first larger groups to migrate to West Florida? Describe their arrival.
10. What is extraordinary about the cases that have been examined?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The situation in New York is similar in many ways to the events in other colonies.
Part 1) Describe the situation in New York. How is it like the situations in other colonies?
Part 2) Why do these similarities between the colonies exist?
Part 3) What is the purpose of this chapter? What is the significance of ending the book with this chapter?
Essay Topic 2
Land speculators are important in the selling of land.
Part 1) What is a land speculator? How are they important?
Part 2) What would the colonies have been like without land speculators? Could the colonies have expanded without land speculators? Why or why not?
Part 3) What type of person would make a good land speculator? What qualities would one need to be successful?
Essay Topic 3
Florida and other southern states are part of East and West Florida.
Part 1) What information does the author give about East and West Florida?
Part 2) What is significant about this information? How does the settlement of one affect the settlement of the other?
Part 3) Why is one region better than the other? Why is it easier to settle?
Part 4) What is learned about the importance of experience and working with others in this section about East and West Florida?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)