|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the years before the Revolution, there were at least thirty-eight colonial merchant firms dealing in what nationality of servants?
2. What does the Register bring into focus?
3. Archibald Menzies decides that he had found the perfect race of people to populate Florida. What race is this?
4. When Britain took over Nova Scotia, what did it do with the settlers there?
5. How many departures does the Register show for West Florida between 1773 and 1776?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are indentured servants often sold?
2. Why is the location of a servant sale important to sellers?
3. What does the author say about the intelligence part of this network?
4. Describe the connection between the HIghlands and North Carolina.
5. What does the author say about Nova Scotia in the period before the American Revolution?
6. What is extraordinary about the cases that have been examined?
7. Who is one of the first larger groups to migrate to West Florida? Describe their arrival.
8. What does the Register reveal about Whitby?
9. What is unique about James Hogg's departure for North Carolina?
10. What efforts have been made to exploit and populate the coastal lands of Florida and the gulf and river shores of Mississippi and Alabama?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Demand for labor is high in the colonies.
Part 1) Why was it high? How did this affect Great Britain?
Part 2) How is this related to Great Britain fear of expansion in the colonies?
Part 3) How does this need affect both those in Great Britain and in the United States? How does it affect the way in which the colonies are settled? How does this compare to supply and demand today?
Essay Topic 2
Patterns can be seen in the immigration to the colonies.
Part 1) What patterns can be seen?
Part 2) Why is the study of these patterns important? For what is it useful?
Part 3) How do these patterns affect us today?
Essay Topic 3
Indentured servants are often bought and sold once they reach the colonies.
Part 1) Why did this purchase happen here? Why was it not done earlier?
Part 2) How might this have affected both the servants and the sellers? Why?
Part 3) Why would someone become an indentured servant? Would you become one?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)