|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From the buyer's side, the longer he delayed the more likely what would happen?
2. People came from all over the colonies to settle in West Florida, particularly from what region?
3. What accounts for a major part of the migration to North America in the Register?
4. While Inglis was preparing the vessel and ordering supplies, Hogg was busy doing what?
5. Not only was the demand for labor high in the colonies, but there was a potentially plentiful supply of labor where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about James Hogg's departure for North Carolina?
2. What does the author say about East Florida?
3. What does the author say about Nova Scotia in the period before the American Revolution?
4. Who is one of the first larger groups to migrate to West Florida? Describe their arrival.
5. What is extraordinary about the cases that have been examined?
6. On what do merchants and their agents rely? Why?
7. What does the Register reveal about Whitby?
8. When did the first settler begin arriving in the new British territory? What information does the author give about this?
9. What takes place to provide maps of the region?
10. What efforts have been made to exploit and populate the coastal lands of Florida and the gulf and river shores of Mississippi and Alabama?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bailyn discusses Nova Scotia.
Part 1) What does he say about Nova Scotia? Why does she discuss Nova Scotia?
Part 2) How does Nova Scotia compare to other colonies?
Part 3) What is significant about the information Bailyn provides about Nova Scotia? How is Nova Scotia today affected by emigration over 200 years ago?
Essay Topic 2
Some grantees have problems when the American Revolution begins.
Part 1) What is a grantee? Why would the American Revolution cause problems?
Part 2) How were the other settlers affected by the American Revolution?
Part 3) Does the information in this book give any insight into causes and consequences of the American Revolution? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The Registry is both faulty and useful.
Part 1) How is it faulty? How is it useful?
Part 2) Why is the information from the Registry important?
Part 3) How is this registry and this study on emigration important? How does it impact us today?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)