|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about James Hogg's departure for America?
2. Where are the servants and convicts brought to be inspected by potential buyers?
3. In the period before the American Revolution, what is the northeastern most point in the arc of borderlands in the outer boundaries of British communities in North America?
4. Describe the Gulf shore.
5. In the years before the Revolution, there were at least thirty-eight colonial merchant firms dealing in what nationality of servants?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place to provide maps of the region?
2. What is Jonas Brown's plan?
3. Why is the location of a servant sale important to buyers?
4. What is known about those who voyaged to the American colonies?
5. Who first inspected the province? What did they see?
6. What efforts have been made to exploit and populate the coastal lands of Florida and the gulf and river shores of Mississippi and Alabama?
7. What happens when Britain takes over Nova Scotia? What is the reason for this?
8. What is the importance of New York during this time?
9. How are indentured servants often sold?
10. Describe the connection between the HIghlands and North Carolina.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bailyn discusses Nova Scotia.
Part 1) What does he say about Nova Scotia? Why does she discuss Nova Scotia?
Part 2) How does Nova Scotia compare to other colonies?
Part 3) What is significant about the information Bailyn provides about Nova Scotia? How is Nova Scotia today affected by emigration over 200 years ago?
Essay Topic 2
An overwhelming number of Scottish immigrants ended up in specific colonies.
Part 1) How has this happened? How does this parallel the settling of other colonies?
Part 2) How is this settling reflected in various cultural societies' settlements today?
Part 3) How have these Scottish people helped to create the culture in these areas today?
Essay Topic 3
Patterns can be seen in the immigration to the colonies.
Part 1) What patterns can be seen?
Part 2) Why is the study of these patterns important? For what is it useful?
Part 3) How do these patterns affect us today?
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)