|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At a minimum, how many immigrants arrived in New York from Britain in the two years before the war and it is likely that another 1,300 also arrived?
2. Why is this a positive aspect about West Florida?
3. What is one way that West Florida differs from East Florida?
4. The number of emigrants was increased from 100 to a minimum of what?
5. What does the Register bring into focus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jonas Brown's plan?
2. What is the importance of New York during this time?
3. What does the Register reveal about Whitby?
4. What takes place to provide maps of the region?
5. What does the author say about East Florida?
6. What is unique about James Hogg's departure for North Carolina?
7. Why is the location of a servant sale important to sellers?
8. Who is James Hogg? What does he try to do? Does he succeed?
9. How else do merchants recruit workers?
10. What does the Register record about the major part of migration and and the migration of families?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Demand for labor is high in the colonies.
Part 1) Why was it high? How did this affect Great Britain?
Part 2) How is this related to Great Britain fear of expansion in the colonies?
Part 3) How does this need affect both those in Great Britain and in the United States? How does it affect the way in which the colonies are settled? How does this compare to supply and demand today?
Essay Topic 2
Bailyn discusses Nova Scotia.
Part 1) What does he say about Nova Scotia? Why does she discuss Nova Scotia?
Part 2) How does Nova Scotia compare to other colonies?
Part 3) What is significant about the information Bailyn provides about Nova Scotia? How is Nova Scotia today affected by emigration over 200 years ago?
Essay Topic 3
Land speculators are important in the selling of land.
Part 1) What is a land speculator? How are they important?
Part 2) What would the colonies have been like without land speculators? Could the colonies have expanded without land speculators? Why or why not?
Part 3) What type of person would make a good land speculator? What qualities would one need to be successful?
This section contains 1,335 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)