|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first settlers into the new British territory began in what year?
2. Archibald Menzies decides that he had found the perfect race of people to populate Florida. What race is this?
3. All those who voyaged to the American colonies were what?
4. When Britain took over Nova Scotia, what did it do with the settlers there?
5. 16 of these ships came from England and how many came from Scotland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say about East Florida?
2. How else do merchants recruit workers?
3. How were these new lands divided?
4. What does the Register record about the major part of migration and and the migration of families?
5. What takes place in the early 1760s?
6. Why is the location of a servant sale important to sellers?
7. What happens when Britain takes over Nova Scotia? What is the reason for this?
8. What is Jonas Brown's plan?
9. Who is James Hogg? What does he try to do? Does he succeed?
10. What is the importance of New York during this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The situation in New York is similar in many ways to the events in other colonies.
Part 1) Describe the situation in New York. How is it like the situations in other colonies?
Part 2) Why do these similarities between the colonies exist?
Part 3) What is the purpose of this chapter? What is the significance of ending the book with this chapter?
Essay Topic 2
Patterns can be seen in the immigration to the colonies.
Part 1) What patterns can be seen?
Part 2) Why is the study of these patterns important? For what is it useful?
Part 3) How do these patterns affect us today?
Essay Topic 3
Florida and other southern states are part of East and West Florida.
Part 1) What information does the author give about East and West Florida?
Part 2) What is significant about this information? How does the settlement of one affect the settlement of the other?
Part 3) Why is one region better than the other? Why is it easier to settle?
Part 4) What is learned about the importance of experience and working with others in this section about East and West Florida?
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)