|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Britain took over Nova Scotia, what did it do with the settlers there?
2. What did the British do this to these settlers?
3. During the seventeenth century, who are the only people who would continue to use this service?
4. Where does James Hogg try to settle 200 Scottish Highlanders?
5. After ten years, what would happen to any land not populated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Register record about the major part of migration and and the migration of families?
2. Why is the location of a servant sale important to sellers?
3. What does the author say about East Florida?
4. What is unique about James Hogg's departure for North Carolina?
5. What does the author say about Nova Scotia in the period before the American Revolution?
6. What is Jonas Brown's plan?
7. What is one way that West Florida differs from East Florida? Is this good? Why or why not?
8. Who first inspected the province? What did they see?
9. What happens when Britain takes over Nova Scotia? What is the reason for this?
10. What takes place to provide maps of the region?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A large number of the immigrants is young and male.
Part 1) How is this proven? Why are so many young and male?
Part 2) How might this have affected the development of the colonies?
Part 3) How have these young men helped make our country what it is today?
Essay Topic 2
Land speculators are important in the selling of land.
Part 1) What is a land speculator? How are they important?
Part 2) What would the colonies have been like without land speculators? Could the colonies have expanded without land speculators? Why or why not?
Part 3) What type of person would make a good land speculator? What qualities would one need to be successful?
Essay Topic 3
Convicts and indentured servants are laborers in the colonies.
Part 1) How would convicts and indentured servants get to the Americas? Why would they come to the Americas?
Part 2) Describe their work. What did employees think of them? Why?
Part 3) How does the use of this cheap labor affect others?
Part 4) How significant was their work? How does it affect North America today?
This section contains 1,352 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)