|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Register bring into focus?
2. Besides not making money quickly, why else does a seller not want the "goods" to remain in his care?
3. What area proved to be most attractive to land speculators and investors?
4. The number of emigrants was increased from 100 to a minimum of what?
5. What is happening by 1770?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is James Hogg? What does he try to do? Does he succeed?
2. How were these new lands divided?
3. When did the first settler begin arriving in the new British territory? What information does the author give about this?
4. What efforts have been made to exploit and populate the coastal lands of Florida and the gulf and river shores of Mississippi and Alabama?
5. What is unique about James Hogg's departure for North Carolina?
6. On what do merchants and their agents rely? Why?
7. What is extraordinary about the cases that have been examined?
8. What does the author say about East Florida?
9. Describe the connection between the HIghlands and North Carolina.
10. Why is the location of a servant sale important to sellers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Demand for labor is high in the colonies.
Part 1) Why was it high? How did this affect Great Britain?
Part 2) How is this related to Great Britain fear of expansion in the colonies?
Part 3) How does this need affect both those in Great Britain and in the United States? How does it affect the way in which the colonies are settled? How does this compare to supply and demand today?
Essay Topic 2
Other areas of the British Isles do not see a mass exodus.
Part 1) Why do they not see a mass exodus?
Part 2) How are they still affected by mass exoduses elsewhere?
Part 3) Is there still a connection between these locations and the areas where many people are leaving? If so, what is this connection? If not, why is there no connection?
Essay Topic 3
Many changes occur prior to the Revolution in the American colonies.
Part 1) What are two of these changes? Why do they take place?
Part 2) What is significant about these changes?
Part 3) How are these changes reflected in our world today?
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)