|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This colony and the adjacent islands totaled over how many square miles and had a population of less than 18,000 in early 1774?
2. Where do these first settlers go?
3. During the years in question, how many huge areas of land were claimed by the colony of New York and were opened to settlement?
4. Efforts are being made to exploit and populate the coastal lands of what states?
5. How many departures does the Register show for West Florida between 1773 and 1776?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say about the intelligence part of this network?
2. How were these new lands divided?
3. Who first inspected the province? What did they see?
4. How are indentured servants often sold?
5. What takes place to provide maps of the region?
6. What does the author say about East Florida?
7. What does the author say about Nova Scotia in the period before the American Revolution?
8. What does the Register reveal about Whitby?
9. What is unique about James Hogg's departure for North Carolina?
10. What happens when Britain takes over Nova Scotia? What is the reason for this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A large number of the immigrants is young and male.
Part 1) How is this proven? Why are so many young and male?
Part 2) How might this have affected the development of the colonies?
Part 3) How have these young men helped make our country what it is today?
Essay Topic 2
Workers face hardships during the emigration process.
Part 1) What hardships did they face? Why?
Part 2) How were they affected by the hardships? Does this affect the number of people emigrating? Why or why not?
Part 3) Why might someone continue through this tough emigration process? Why kept them from giving up? What does this say about those who immigrated to the Americas?
Essay Topic 3
Convicts and indentured servants are laborers in the colonies.
Part 1) How would convicts and indentured servants get to the Americas? Why would they come to the Americas?
Part 2) Describe their work. What did employees think of them? Why?
Part 3) How does the use of this cheap labor affect others?
Part 4) How significant was their work? How does it affect North America today?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)