|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what are buyers looking?
2. What does Hogg decide about the prospective emigrants?
3. What do buyers also have to consider when making a purchase?
4. 16 of these ships came from England and how many came from Scotland?
5. What did the British do this to these settlers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is James Hogg? What does he try to do? Does he succeed?
2. What does the author say about East Florida?
3. How are indentured servants often sold?
4. What takes place in the early 1760s?
5. What is one way that West Florida differs from East Florida? Is this good? Why or why not?
6. How are servants paid?
7. What happens when Britain takes over Nova Scotia? What is the reason for this?
8. What does the Register record about the major part of migration and and the migration of families?
9. Why is the location of a servant sale important to sellers?
10. How were these new lands divided?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A large number of the immigrants is young and male.
Part 1) How is this proven? Why are so many young and male?
Part 2) How might this have affected the development of the colonies?
Part 3) How have these young men helped make our country what it is today?
Essay Topic 2
Convicts and indentured servants are laborers in the colonies.
Part 1) How would convicts and indentured servants get to the Americas? Why would they come to the Americas?
Part 2) Describe their work. What did employees think of them? Why?
Part 3) How does the use of this cheap labor affect others?
Part 4) How significant was their work? How does it affect North America today?
Essay Topic 3
Many immigrants see the colonies as a place of opportunity.
Part 1) How do they come to this view of the colonies?
Part 2) Is this an accurate view? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does this optimistic view of the colonies affect the beliefs of Americans and those who immigrate here today?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)