|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ages of the emigrants tended to concentrate around what ages?
2. What is the age that individuals could legally bind themselves as indentured servants?
3. How much regard is there for human suffering and rights?
4. Do there appear to be concentrations of indentured servants in particular occupations settling in certain colonies?
5. How many ironworks are operating in the colonies at this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the unending demand for labor satisfied?
2. What is known about correlation between age and where the emigrants migrated?
3. Who is John Powell? What does he suggest?
4. Why must the official totals be adjusted upward?
5. What does Bailyn say about the force of attraction to North America?
6. What does the author discover about the gender of the emigrants?
7. What is known about most of the families who emigrated?
8. After skilled artisans such as those trained in construction, what group do the colonists seek?
9. Who were the people most available for labor?
10. What happens after 1760 and the end of the war in North America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Registry is both faulty and useful.
Part 1) How is it faulty? How is it useful?
Part 2) Why is the information from the Registry important?
Part 3) How is this registry and this study on emigration important? How does it impact us today?
Essay Topic 2
Many changes occur prior to the Revolution in the American colonies.
Part 1) What are two of these changes? Why do they take place?
Part 2) What is significant about these changes?
Part 3) How are these changes reflected in our world today?
Essay Topic 3
Bailyn discusses Nova Scotia.
Part 1) What does he say about Nova Scotia? Why does she discuss Nova Scotia?
Part 2) How does Nova Scotia compare to other colonies?
Part 3) What is significant about the information Bailyn provides about Nova Scotia? How is Nova Scotia today affected by emigration over 200 years ago?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)