|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Do similar situations exist in other industries in this city?
2. The ages of the emigrants tended to concentrate around what ages?
3. This raw data that is collected by English and Scottish port officials is sent where?
4. What region has only a small need for additional workers?
5. During this time, there was also an array of lobbyists working for land speculators and western trading interests, led by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is known about correlation between age and where the emigrants migrated?
2. What is the result of the collection of statistical information?
3. What does Bailyn say about the vessels traveling to America?
4. Why must the official totals be adjusted upward?
5. What does Bailyn say about the force of attraction to North America?
6. What does the author say about the silk industry?
7. What happens after 1760 and the end of the war in North America?
8. After skilled artisans such as those trained in construction, what group do the colonists seek?
9. How do British officials initially feel about settlement of western lands in America or to emigration from Britain?
10. From where do people emigrate in the pre-Revolutionary years? To where do they immigrate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A large number of the immigrants is young and male.
Part 1) How is this proven? Why are so many young and male?
Part 2) How might this have affected the development of the colonies?
Part 3) How have these young men helped make our country what it is today?
Essay Topic 2
Many people involved in the expansion of the colonies suffer hardships.
Part 1) What hardships do they suffer? Why do they suffer these hardships?
Part 2) Do they realize the risks they undertake? Why or why not?
Part 3) What type of person must one be to be settler? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Land speculators are important in the selling of land.
Part 1) What is a land speculator? How are they important?
Part 2) What would the colonies have been like without land speculators? Could the colonies have expanded without land speculators? Why or why not?
Part 3) What type of person would make a good land speculator? What qualities would one need to be successful?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)