|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the pre-Revolutionary days, what is the largest urban center in the western world?
2. Building craftsman and clothing makers were in high demand where?
3. How is this concentration of ages markedly different from the overall percentage of British citizens and from the population of the American colonies?
4. Do similar situations exist in other industries in this city?
5. Where is the silk industry developed in the late seventeenth century?
Short Essay Questions
1. How important is the construction industry at this time?
2. What is known about most of the families who emigrated?
3. What does Bailyn say about the vessels traveling to America?
4. How do British officials initially feel about settlement of western lands in America or to emigration from Britain?
5. What does Bailyn say about where the emigrants migrated the most?
6. What is the result of the collection of statistical information?
7. What does Bailyn say about the number of people leaving for North America from December 1773 to March 1776 and those who are not emigrants?
8. What is done with the raw data from this collection?
9. What is Bailyn's first impression of British life in the years leading up to the American Revolution?
10. What is known about correlation between age and where the emigrants migrated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The British see emigration as a problem.
Part 1) What is emigration? How is it a problem for the British?
Part 2) What does this problem reveal about the British?
Part 3) Is emigration still a problem for some countries? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Patterns can be seen in the immigration to the colonies.
Part 1) What patterns can be seen?
Part 2) Why is the study of these patterns important? For what is it useful?
Part 3) How do these patterns affect us today?
Essay Topic 3
Many changes occur prior to the Revolution in the American colonies.
Part 1) What are two of these changes? Why do they take place?
Part 2) What is significant about these changes?
Part 3) How are these changes reflected in our world today?
This section contains 1,327 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)