|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What closes the trans-Appalachian west, except to licensed traders, and created the colonies of Quebec, East and West Florida?
2. A much smaller percentage was going where?
3. It is estimated that for the years 1718 to 1775, how many convicts were banished to the colonies?
4. In what kind of world do these people live?
5. The Earl of Hillsborough argues that the colonies are to benefit the kingdom through commerce and the production of goods. What does he think about settling the western lands, regarding this goal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say about the iron industry?
2. What is done with the raw data from this collection?
3. How are the provinces different from the urban areas?
4. Why must the official totals be adjusted upward?
5. Who is John Powell? What does he suggest?
6. What does Bailyn say about the force of attraction to North America?
7. How is the unending demand for labor satisfied?
8. What does Bailyn say about the families who migrated together?
9. What is Bailyn's first impression of British life in the years leading up to the American Revolution?
10. What happens after 1760 and the end of the war in North America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many people involved in the expansion of the colonies suffer hardships.
Part 1) What hardships do they suffer? Why do they suffer these hardships?
Part 2) Do they realize the risks they undertake? Why or why not?
Part 3) What type of person must one be to be settler? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Florida and other southern states are part of East and West Florida.
Part 1) What information does the author give about East and West Florida?
Part 2) What is significant about this information? How does the settlement of one affect the settlement of the other?
Part 3) Why is one region better than the other? Why is it easier to settle?
Part 4) What is learned about the importance of experience and working with others in this section about East and West Florida?
Essay Topic 3
The British see emigration as a problem.
Part 1) What is emigration? How is it a problem for the British?
Part 2) What does this problem reveal about the British?
Part 3) Is emigration still a problem for some countries? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,353 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)