|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Powell, an undersecretary of state for the colonies, suggest?
2. What is the result of this collection?
3. What does the Earl of Hillsborough grasp?
4. Most of these vessels listed were probably engaged in commercial voyages and carried passengers for what reason?
5. Was it new that North America had been seen as a place of refuge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say about the intelligence part of this network?
2. How else do merchants recruit workers?
3. What takes place in the early 1760s?
4. What does Bailyn say about the vessels traveling to America?
5. Describe the spreading of the population in the American colonies before the Revolutionary War. What is the significance of this?
6. What takes place to provide maps of the region?
7. After skilled artisans such as those trained in construction, what group do the colonists seek?
8. What is one way that West Florida differs from East Florida? Is this good? Why or why not?
9. What does the author say about the silk industry?
10. What is commonly believed by 1773?
Essay Topic 1
Patterns can be seen in the immigration to the colonies.
Part 1) What patterns can be seen?
Part 2) Why is the study of these patterns important? For what is it useful?
Part 3) How do these patterns affect us today?
Essay Topic 2
Indentured servants are often bought and sold once they reach the colonies.
Part 1) Why did this purchase happen here? Why was it not done earlier?
Part 2) How might this have affected both the servants and the sellers? Why?
Part 3) Why would someone become an indentured servant? Would you become one?
Essay Topic 3
Land speculators are important in the selling of land.
Part 1) What is a land speculator? How are they important?
Part 2) What would the colonies have been like without land speculators? Could the colonies have expanded without land speculators? Why or why not?
Part 3) What type of person would make a good land speculator? What qualities would one need to be successful?
This section contains 2,243 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)