|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the 6,190 emigrants whose occupation is listed, only _____________ listed occupations that were considered "gentle."
2. In what kind of world do these people live?
3. At this time, most individuals concerned with emigration focused on what?
4. The flow of individuals into New York and North Carolina seem to form small communities composed largely of _________ working the land.
5. Of the 8,613 emigrants whose sex was registered, about ____________ are males?
Short Essay Questions
1. After skilled artisans such as those trained in construction, what group do the colonists seek?
2. How do British officials initially feel about settlement of western lands in America or to emigration from Britain?
3. How is the unending demand for labor satisfied?
4. What does Bailyn say about the families who migrated together?
5. What does Bailyn say about the vessels traveling to America?
6. How do most of the emigrants travel? Why?
7. Who is the Earl of Hillsborough?
8. What does the author say about how the immigrants arrived in the Americas?
9. What is the result of the collection of statistical information?
10. Describe the spreading of the population in the American colonies before the Revolutionary War. What is the significance of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several possible solutions are considered for the emigration problem.
Part 1) What are these solutions? What are the pros and cons of each?
Part 2) Which solution is chosen? How successful is it?
Part 3) How does this solution affect Great Britain, the United States and Canada today?
Essay Topic 2
Many changes occur prior to the Revolution in the American colonies.
Part 1) What are two of these changes? Why do they take place?
Part 2) What is significant about these changes?
Part 3) How are these changes reflected in our world today?
Essay Topic 3
Convicts and indentured servants are laborers in the colonies.
Part 1) How would convicts and indentured servants get to the Americas? Why would they come to the Americas?
Part 2) Describe their work. What did employees think of them? Why?
Part 3) How does the use of this cheap labor affect others?
Part 4) How significant was their work? How does it affect North America today?
This section contains 1,319 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)