|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bailyn's first impression of British life in the years leading up to the American Revolution?
2. Of the 8,613 emigrants whose sex was registered, about ____________ are males?
3. The English migrants most often went to Pennsylvania, Maryland and ________.
4. The ages of the emigrants tended to concentrate around what ages?
5. Of the 6,190 emigrants whose occupation is listed, only _____________ listed occupations that were considered "gentle."
Short Essay Questions
1. What is commonly believed by 1773?
2. How important is the construction industry at this time?
3. What does Bailyn say about the force of attraction to North America?
4. How do most of the emigrants travel? Why?
5. What is done with the raw data from this collection?
6. How is the unending demand for labor satisfied?
7. What does the author say about the silk industry?
8. How do British officials initially feel about settlement of western lands in America or to emigration from Britain?
9. What does Bailyn say about the number of people leaving for North America from December 1773 to March 1776 and those who are not emigrants?
10. After skilled artisans such as those trained in construction, what group do the colonists seek?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patterns can be seen in the immigration to the colonies.
Part 1) What patterns can be seen?
Part 2) Why is the study of these patterns important? For what is it useful?
Part 3) How do these patterns affect us today?
Essay Topic 2
An overwhelming number of Scottish immigrants ended up in specific colonies.
Part 1) How has this happened? How does this parallel the settling of other colonies?
Part 2) How is this settling reflected in various cultural societies' settlements today?
Part 3) How have these Scottish people helped to create the culture in these areas today?
Essay Topic 3
Workers face hardships during the emigration process.
Part 1) What hardships did they face? Why?
Part 2) How were they affected by the hardships? Does this affect the number of people emigrating? Why or why not?
Part 3) Why might someone continue through this tough emigration process? Why kept them from giving up? What does this say about those who immigrated to the Americas?
This section contains 1,288 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)