|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. These characteristics are shared with other societies, but is America's way of life unique?
2. Most available for labor are who?
3. What other jobs had also become unstable?
4. Migrants to Nova Scotia tended to be similar to those going to New York and North Carolina while those migrating to the West Indies tended to be similar to those migrating to which colonies?
5. What does the Earl of Hillsborough grasp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say about the silk industry?
2. What is done with the raw data from this collection?
3. What happens after 1760 and the end of the war in North America?
4. What is the result of the collection of statistical information?
5. Describe the spreading of the population in the American colonies before the Revolutionary War. What is the significance of this?
6. What does Bailyn say about the families who migrated together?
7. What does the author say about the iron industry?
8. How are the provinces different from the urban areas?
9. What does Bailyn say about where the emigrants migrated the most?
10. Why must the official totals be adjusted upward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A large number of the immigrants is young and male.
Part 1) How is this proven? Why are so many young and male?
Part 2) How might this have affected the development of the colonies?
Part 3) How have these young men helped make our country what it is today?
Essay Topic 2
Other areas of the British Isles do not see a mass exodus.
Part 1) Why do they not see a mass exodus?
Part 2) How are they still affected by mass exoduses elsewhere?
Part 3) Is there still a connection between these locations and the areas where many people are leaving? If so, what is this connection? If not, why is there no connection?
Essay Topic 3
Demand for labor is high in the colonies.
Part 1) Why was it high? How did this affect Great Britain?
Part 2) How is this related to Great Britain fear of expansion in the colonies?
Part 3) How does this need affect both those in Great Britain and in the United States? How does it affect the way in which the colonies are settled? How does this compare to supply and demand today?
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)