|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Can the precise difference between the actual numbers of emigrants and between the Register's totals be established?
2. Where is the silk industry developed in the late seventeenth century?
3. In what kind of world do these people live?
4. Why does Tompkyns soon hire an extra clerk?
5. Where are most of the ironworks built?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why must the official totals be adjusted upward?
2. What is the age range for emigrants? What is important about this?
3. What is Bailyn's first impression of British life in the years leading up to the American Revolution?
4. What does the author say about the silk industry?
5. What does the author say about how the immigrants arrived in the Americas?
6. What is done with the raw data from this collection?
7. What does the author say about the iron industry?
8. What is known about most of the families who emigrated?
9. What happens after 1760 and the end of the war in North America?
10. Who were the people most available for labor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The British see emigration as a problem.
Part 1) What is emigration? How is it a problem for the British?
Part 2) What does this problem reveal about the British?
Part 3) Is emigration still a problem for some countries? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Workers face hardships during the emigration process.
Part 1) What hardships did they face? Why?
Part 2) How were they affected by the hardships? Does this affect the number of people emigrating? Why or why not?
Part 3) Why might someone continue through this tough emigration process? Why kept them from giving up? What does this say about those who immigrated to the Americas?
Essay Topic 3
Bailyn discusses Nova Scotia.
Part 1) What does he say about Nova Scotia? Why does she discuss Nova Scotia?
Part 2) How does Nova Scotia compare to other colonies?
Part 3) What is significant about the information Bailyn provides about Nova Scotia? How is Nova Scotia today affected by emigration over 200 years ago?
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)