|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Can the precise difference between the actual numbers of emigrants and between the Register's totals be established?
2. Why is the data source that the author mentions incomplete?
3. A much smaller percentage was going where?
4. Building craftsman and clothing makers were in high demand where?
5. After 1760 and the end of the war in North America, what happens to the colonies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Earl of Hillsborough?
2. What does the author discover about the gender of the emigrants?
3. What is the age range for emigrants? What is important about this?
4. What is the result of the collection of statistical information?
5. What does Bailyn say about the vessels traveling to America?
6. How are the provinces different from the urban areas?
7. What does Bailyn say about the force of attraction to North America?
8. What is commonly believed by 1773?
9. Who were the people most available for labor?
10. What is known about correlation between age and where the emigrants migrated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An overwhelming number of Scottish immigrants ended up in specific colonies.
Part 1) How has this happened? How does this parallel the settling of other colonies?
Part 2) How is this settling reflected in various cultural societies' settlements today?
Part 3) How have these Scottish people helped to create the culture in these areas today?
Essay Topic 2
The British see emigration as a problem.
Part 1) What is emigration? How is it a problem for the British?
Part 2) What does this problem reveal about the British?
Part 3) Is emigration still a problem for some countries? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Patterns can be seen in the immigration to the colonies.
Part 1) What patterns can be seen?
Part 2) Why is the study of these patterns important? For what is it useful?
Part 3) How do these patterns affect us today?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)