|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The information sent to where is sent directly to the Treasury in London without any editing or summarization?
2. By 1765, it was evident that one result of the employment problems in the silk industry would be what?
3. What does John Powell, an undersecretary of state for the colonies, suggest?
4. Do similar situations exist in other industries in this city?
5. Bailyn argues that for the men a picture develops of lower middle and working class men for whom emigration was what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Britain takes over Nova Scotia? What is the reason for this?
2. How do British officials initially feel about settlement of western lands in America or to emigration from Britain?
3. What does the author say about East Florida?
4. On what do merchants and their agents rely? Why?
5. What does Bailyn say about the force of attraction to North America?
6. What does Bailyn say about where the emigrants migrated the most?
7. What is Bailyn's first impression of British life in the years leading up to the American Revolution?
8. Why is the location of a servant sale important to buyers?
9. What does the author discover about the gender of the emigrants?
10. What is wrong with this survey?
Essay Topic 1
Bailyn discusses Nova Scotia.
Part 1) What does he say about Nova Scotia? Why does she discuss Nova Scotia?
Part 2) How does Nova Scotia compare to other colonies?
Part 3) What is significant about the information Bailyn provides about Nova Scotia? How is Nova Scotia today affected by emigration over 200 years ago?
Essay Topic 2
The situation in New York is similar in many ways to the events in other colonies.
Part 1) Describe the situation in New York. How is it like the situations in other colonies?
Part 2) Why do these similarities between the colonies exist?
Part 3) What is the purpose of this chapter? What is the significance of ending the book with this chapter?
Essay Topic 3
Demand for labor is high in the colonies.
Part 1) Why was it high? How did this affect Great Britain?
Part 2) How is this related to Great Britain fear of expansion in the colonies?
Part 3) How does this need affect both those in Great Britain and in the United States? How does it affect the way in which the colonies are settled? How does this compare to supply and demand today?
This section contains 2,331 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)