|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Building craftsman and clothing makers were in high demand where?
2. What does Bailyn say about what these patterns show about the migration from Britain to America?
3. Do the concerns over the settlement of western lands and emigration from Britain to the colonies play a role in the early efforts of the British government to establish and shape policies on the western lands?
4. In 1753, into what debate does the Earl of Hillsborough enter?
5. What is the age that individuals could legally bind themselves as indentured servants?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after 1760 and the end of the war in North America?
2. Who is the Earl of Hillsborough?
3. Who were the people most available for labor?
4. From where do people emigrate in the pre-Revolutionary years? To where do they immigrate?
5. What is the age range for emigrants? What is important about this?
6. What does the author say about the iron industry?
7. What does the author discover about the gender of the emigrants?
8. How important is the construction industry at this time?
9. How are the provinces different from the urban areas?
10. Who is John Powell? What does he suggest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Registry is both faulty and useful.
Part 1) How is it faulty? How is it useful?
Part 2) Why is the information from the Registry important?
Part 3) How is this registry and this study on emigration important? How does it impact us today?
Essay Topic 2
An overwhelming number of Scottish immigrants ended up in specific colonies.
Part 1) How has this happened? How does this parallel the settling of other colonies?
Part 2) How is this settling reflected in various cultural societies' settlements today?
Part 3) How have these Scottish people helped to create the culture in these areas today?
Essay Topic 3
Many people involved in the expansion of the colonies suffer hardships.
Part 1) What hardships do they suffer? Why do they suffer these hardships?
Part 2) Do they realize the risks they undertake? Why or why not?
Part 3) What type of person must one be to be settler? Why?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)