|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do buyers also have to consider when making a purchase?
(a) Age and gender.
(b) The personality of the servant.
(c) The intelligence of the servant.
(d) Encumbrances like other family members and the character of the servants.
2. What is the name of the vessel used in all voyages from this village?
(a) The Marlborough.
(b) The Queen Mother.
(c) The Edinburgh.
(d) The Lucia.
3. People came from all over the colonies to settle in West Florida, particularly from what region?
(a) Western North Carolina.
(b) Western South Carolina.
(c) Eastern North Carolina.
(d) Eastern South Carolina.
4. What other location would sellers avoid?
(a) Places that make the servants uncomfortable.
(b) Places that are too close to the water.
(c) Places that are difficult for buyers to get to.
(d) Places that are too far inland.
5. What is Jonas Brown's main business?
(a) The production and sale of pottery.
(b) Organizing emigration groups.
(c) The production and sale of alum.
(d) Land speculation.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the years in question, how many huge areas of land were claimed by the colony of New York and were opened to settlement?
2. This colony and the adjacent islands totaled over how many square miles and had a population of less than 18,000 in early 1774?
3. What location would sellers avoid for holding sales?
4. Who helps James Hogg by arranging to have a vessel sent north to transport James and his family?
5. For what are buyers looking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Register reveal about Whitby?
2. What takes place in the early 1760s?
3. How are servants paid?
4. Why is a network formed between those in Great Britain and those in the American colonies?
5. Who first inspected the province? What did they see?
6. What is unique about James Hogg's departure for North Carolina?
7. What does the author say about the intelligence part of this network?
8. On what do merchants and their agents rely? Why?
9. What is Jonas Brown's plan?
10. Who is James Hogg? What does he try to do? Does he succeed?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)