|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is a new British naval base and provincial capital built?
(a) At Halifax.
(b) At Boston.
(c) At Vermont.
(d) At Quebec.
2. What does Hogg decide about the prospective emigrants?
(a) They had to be Scottish.
(b) They had to be related to him.
(c) They had to be very wealthy.
(d) They had to be disease free, be of good character, and be able to pay their freight with extra for accidents.
3. What do buyers also have to consider when making a purchase?
(a) The personality of the servant.
(b) Encumbrances like other family members and the character of the servants.
(c) Age and gender.
(d) The intelligence of the servant.
4. What is surprising about the expeditions previously mentioned?
(a) The surviving records are surprisingly complete.
(b) The expeditions were surprisingly successful.
(c) The settlers were surprisingly prepared for colony life.
(d) The settlers were surprisingly wealthy.
5. In 1763, when almost all of the land east of the Mississippi River became the territory of what nation?
(b) Great Britain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Detailed records connected to the Register are __________.
2. What area proved to be most attractive to land speculators and investors?
3. Why is this a positive aspect about West Florida?
4. The beginning steps of opening the land to settlement are _________.
5. In 1772, what does De Brahm present to the King?
Short Essay Questions
1. What efforts have been made to exploit and populate the coastal lands of Florida and the gulf and river shores of Mississippi and Alabama?
2. What happens when Britain takes over Nova Scotia? What is the reason for this?
3. What takes place in the early 1760s?
4. Describe the connection between the HIghlands and North Carolina.
5. Who is one of the first larger groups to migrate to West Florida? Describe their arrival.
6. What is unique about James Hogg's departure for North Carolina?
7. Why is the location of a servant sale important to buyers?
8. What does the author say about East Florida?
9. What takes place to provide maps of the region?
10. What does the Register reveal about Whitby?
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)