|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Describe the Gulf shore.
(a) Sandy and infertile.
(b) Mineral rich soil and fertile.
(c) Wooded and hilly.
(d) Sandy, yet fertile.
2. Where do these first settlers go?
(a) The fertile upper valley of the Tombigbee and Alabama rivers.
(b) The fertile land around Lake Okeechobee.
(c) The sandy beaches along the Atlantic.
(d) The swampland found along what is now called Aligator Alley.
3. The number of emigrants was increased from 100 to a minimum of what?
4. What is happening by 1770?
(a) A small, steady flow of people is moving into the province.
(b) A large, somewhat uncontrolled flow of people is moving into the province.
(c) A large, steady flow of people is moving into the province.
(d) A small, irregular flow of people is moving into the province.
5. What is Jonas Brown's main business?
(a) Organizing emigration groups.
(b) The production and sale of pottery.
(c) Land speculation.
(d) The production and sale of alum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is a new British naval base and provincial capital built?
2. From the buyer's side, the longer he delayed the more likely what would happen?
3. What society was made up on 40 to 50 merchants, noblemen, and entrepreneurs who wanted to develop new properties in America?
4. What did the British do this to these settlers?
5. What is unique about James Hogg's departure for America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place to provide maps of the region?
2. Who is one of the first larger groups to migrate to West Florida? Describe their arrival.
3. What is one way that West Florida differs from East Florida? Is this good? Why or why not?
4. How else do merchants recruit workers?
5. Why is the location of a servant sale important to buyers?
6. What is unique about James Hogg's departure for North Carolina?
7. Who first inspected the province? What did they see?
8. What is known about those who voyaged to the American colonies?
9. Who is James Hogg? What does he try to do? Does he succeed?
10. How were these new lands divided?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)