|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hogg decide about the prospective emigrants?
(a) They had to be disease free, be of good character, and be able to pay their freight with extra for accidents.
(b) They had to be Scottish.
(c) They had to be very wealthy.
(d) They had to be related to him.
2. The beginning steps of opening the land to settlement are _________.
3. For what are buyers looking?
(a) The youngest and most attractive servants.
(b) The healthiest, most skilled at the lowest price for the longest commitment time.
(c) The servants with the most experience.
(d) The healthiest and hardest working servants.
4. Who probably convinced James Hogg to lead and organize a group of emigrants?
(a) Robert, his cousin.
(b) Inglis, the ship owner.
(c) Robert, his brother.
(d) Roger, his father.
5. What does Brown's advertisement state?
(a) The ship would sail from Edinburgh to Georgia on August 1, 1774 and would take anyone wishing to settle in this area.
(b) The ship would sail from London to North Carolina on August 1, 1774 and would take anyone wishing to settle in this area.
(c) The ship would sail from Whitby to Georgia on August 1, 1774 and would take anyone wishing to settle in this area.
(d) The ship would sail from Glassgow to North Carolina on August 1, 1774 and would take anyone wishing to settle in this area.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1763, when almost all of the land east of the Mississippi River became the territory of what nation?
2. When is there a wild land boom in Nova Scotia?
3. To find the types of workers that were needed, merchants and their agents relied on public notifications. What are important focuses of these notifications?
4. What society was made up on 40 to 50 merchants, noblemen, and entrepreneurs who wanted to develop new properties in America?
5. What does the Register also record?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is extraordinary about the cases that have been examined?
2. Why is the location of a servant sale important to buyers?
3. What does the Register reveal about Whitby?
4. What does the Register record about the major part of migration and and the migration of families?
5. What is Jonas Brown's plan?
6. What is unique about James Hogg's departure for North Carolina?
7. On what do merchants and their agents rely? Why?
8. What happens when Britain takes over Nova Scotia? What is the reason for this?
9. What does the author say about the intelligence part of this network?
10. What is known about those who voyaged to the American colonies?
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)