|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does communication between inland North Carolina and the Scottish Highlands remain strong?
(a) A great deal of travel takes place between both locations.
(b) Strong leaders exist in both regions.
(c) There is a constant flow of emigrants from Scottland.
(d) Letters pass between family members on both sides of the ocean.
2. Besides not making money quickly, why else does a seller not want the "goods" to remain in his care?
(a) They are tired of the servants.
(b) They have no work for the servants.
(c) They have to feed, clothe, and house the servants.
(d) They will want to keep the servants.
3. What area proved to be most attractive to land speculators and investors?
(b) West Florida.
(c) East Florida.
4. What does the Register bring into focus?
(a) The small urban town of Edinburgh.
(b) The large town of London.
(c) The seaside resort of Glassgow.
(d) The small fishing village of Whitby on the North Sea coast of Yorkshire.
5. For what are buyers looking?
(a) The healthiest, most skilled at the lowest price for the longest commitment time.
(b) The servants with the most experience.
(c) The youngest and most attractive servants.
(d) The healthiest and hardest working servants.
Short Answer Questions
1. The beginning steps of opening the land to settlement are _________.
2. Archibald Menzies decides that he had found the perfect race of people to populate Florida. What race is this?
3. What is unique about James Hogg's departure for America?
4. In the years before the Revolution, there were at least thirty-eight colonial merchant firms dealing in what nationality of servants?
5. Who helps James Hogg by arranging to have a vessel sent north to transport James and his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jonas Brown's plan?
2. What is known about those who voyaged to the American colonies?
3. How are indentured servants often sold?
4. On what do merchants and their agents rely? Why?
5. Why is the location of a servant sale important to buyers?
6. Who is one of the first larger groups to migrate to West Florida? Describe their arrival.
7. How else do merchants recruit workers?
8. What takes place to provide maps of the region?
9. What takes place in the early 1760s?
10. Who is James Hogg? What does he try to do? Does he succeed?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)